-
AuthorContent
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 15, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8810436

Here they are again, Chrissy's Firefighter Angel (Ludgers Windsong X New Orleans Lady) and my double pink (Peanut X Ruffles and Flourishes).

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217188/

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011 2:12 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 15, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8810453

Wonderful !!!!! I am thrilled ! and thankyou.
and here it comes ...the Angel Parade ... bring it on, babies teenagers, ugly , beautiful, pods, seeds,we want to see them all.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 15, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8810458

cestrum more please ...can't get enough of these darlings, I haven't seen FFA in close up for three years and even then it was only the bottom ones on the flush, a month later they were too tall, can't imagine how tall they would be in the ground instead of an odd roots or two escaping. And your pretty darling ...loving that pretty colour, unlike the very dark ones (though I would love some like that too) I like the dreamy soft colours, ethereal and heavenly to my eyes.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 15, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8810464

Finally , I am seeing more green shoots on the brugs. Of course the two stars are powerring on ( GHA & BB)
No tantrums and shedding of leaves for those two. You would not know I had chopped half the top from BB as there are fresh leaves to cover the cuts and more flowers.
If GHA gets any taller. I will need a stepladder to smell the flowers and pollinate. .
I have another of him in the ground but it looks like growing way up there too.
I have just been spraying Confidor around all the brugs and epis. It looks like being a bug year here where I usually see hardly a one.
Must be all the rain and damp bringing out millions more sluggies.
I do notice here, the double white are never touched at all by anything. Maybe the extra furry leaves or maybe they just taste awful.
How do you all find them with bugs ?
I was laughing to myself while I was out there. A touch of warm sun and the brugs are all sulking . Anyone coming in would think the plants were dying.
Wimpy B***s. What are they going to do when summer gets here ?
I suppose they will expect me to be running around with sun umbrellas.
Not likely LOL...
My little babies are looking great. I had to open up the greenhouse door and let the hot air out. Boy, it was like a sauna.
I have more of the USA seeds coming up now and another of mine.
Better get back out side and do a bit more while its nice.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 15, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8810528

Some of them are definitely wimpy, Jean...I have an OS teenager, that faints at the sight of the sun...
talk about a wilter...he's a beaut at it...the minute that the sun goes down he's up and at it...come to think of it that's what teenagers do...sleep all day and rage all night...

Your seeds are growing really well now, getting taller each day...
Nothing eats Knightii here,Jean...except caterpillars...but it's too early for them...

cestrum the pic of your's and Chrissie's beauties in their pale mode is lovely...looking forward to a pic when they get their deeper colour going...
My one and only seedpod is still there...7mnths now...perhaps it needs a caeser...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 16, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8810576

> Chrissy's Firefighter Angel (Ludgers Windsong X New Orleans Lady) and my double pink (Peanut X Ruffles and Flourishes).

Beautiful Cestrum! Looking at your pic reminds me of a gelato bar.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 16, 2011
1:42 AM

Post #8810587

The latest pic of my Vulsa. It's about 10" tall now. The 2 small ones on the left are the sanguinea seedlings. We might see flowers on the vulsa this season. We can only hope. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 16, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8811360

The pastel colours are pretty--*almost* good enough to eat! Of course, I'd like pastels and the stronger colours too :-) Here's another bloom this morning. I could smell the lovely perfume as I handled the flower.

Colleen, is that vulsa a seedling? And only 2 months old?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 16, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8811362

Here are the innards, nice and clean. Not deformed like a lot of blooms on my double pink.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 16, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8811364

And here's the Golden Butter#2 seedling I was pollinating with the FFA pollen. The bloom has just opened and hasn't had a chance to darken yet. It's a tall sapling that I tied to the orchid tree as it leaned right across the path--you had to be a gymnast to duck under it. So it had to be untied to allow me to bend the branch down, pollinate it, then retie the branch ... only to find that in the process the FFA-pollinated flower had been knocked off :-(

This message was edited Sep 17, 2011 8:10 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 16, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8811453

awwwwww what a shame ! So sorry that happened. You should expect FFA to bloom quite quickly again, once it starts it is a great repeater, I used to see tiny buds right behind a flush, so fingers crossed for the next time it flushes.
Yes FFA and Twilight Time both often throw a double that you can actually see the "bits" required for crossing.
I am so happy Twilight Time is a bit more shrubby than the towering FFA. Great pics of the bloom innards from FFA. By the way never ever seen a single on them after many flushes.

Yes Wayne gelato colours ! yummy, luscious, mmmm.

Colleen they bloom quite quite quickly compared to warm season Brugs so good luck . The heat will be the worry so keep them in the coolest part of the garden through the hot times.

Dianne I think the pods take longer in cool climates ...it won't be long once the days are warm, it happens very quickly sometimes overnight, the pods start to soften and look a bit rotten. Usually you can tell it's time by the colour of the stem ..you can actually see the food being cut off as the stem starts to yellow off and turns a straw colour. Good luck !

Can't wait to see yours Jean it's going to huge flushes because your plants are so mature!

It's warming up out there time to go after I fix morning tea for the boys ...can't wait, love playing in the dirt ! the wasps are out early though.

I would say in about a month from now I will be able to send the cuttings promised in Winter ...the plants are starting to move quite quickly now and the growth lost from bad weather is starting to get on with it. Whew !

Enjoy your day everyone out there !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 16, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8811474

Oops forgot to say ...Jean I am planting your seeds today ...most sank overnight so I am happy to say it should not be long before they germinate.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 16, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8811628

Soaking seeds today too Chrissy - some of yours, Cestrum's, Allan Little's and from Edna Murphy US. All in jars of water until tomorrow morning.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 16, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8811687

Here are my babies today. Still small but they will grow quickly once the warmer weather arrives properly. "Baby" and his 3 friends are already out in bigger pots.

Wayne, I have 6 buds on 'Giant'

Cant wait to see them. The plant is about 3 1/2 foot tall so doing well. I like cuttings because they grow better especially when its cold and they flower quicker too. ( provided the cuttings were above the Y ones )
All your others are still growing but taking time to recover from the awful cold in 2010 winter.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 16, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8811759

Wow, that vulsa seedling is thriving, congrats Colleen.

Chrissy, how are the sang seedlings going?
Your arborea cutting is shooting nicely (and the congo cockatoo Impatiens are flowering already :)).

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 16, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8811791

Jean, I just had a look and some of your Iochroma cuttings already have roots!
great.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 17, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8812403

Thanks for the update on 'Giant' Jean. I hope it does well for you. BTW, your poppy seeds are up and some ready to bloom!
Must go peel some Brug seeds. Soaked overnight.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 17, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8812451

Wayne, the other cuttings are still growing well too, but no Y as yet ( Sr Bertrille, Mea Culpa )

I have hardly any poppies here now. It seems they have all just never grown again . There are only one or two of the mauve which come up each year. I still have seed but have given up throwing it around.
I think they do better when its drier.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 17, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8812772

My poppies aren't doing anything this year either , maybe late.
Lucas my cold climate seeds don't like this heat and are dawdling ...I will plant more next Autumn as I have my hands full taking care of the easier ones and the garden right now , I have a lot of other stuff going on inside let alone outside ^_^ glad your cuttings are going well, well done I think that means strike those hard to strike cooler temp plants in the Winter instead of the Spring and Summer (at least in my area ) that is very good news for those interested.

Wow it is super hot out there ...I moved my Maya into more Sun but it's making me nervous , she is a slowish grower for me so I figured perhaps it was too much shade. Oh well I might have to see how it goes ...and perhaps move again.

Enjoy your arvo everyone

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 17, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8812883

Knightii is flowering very well at the moment but can't make up it's mind what to be, single, double or maybe a bit of both... three flowers with different innards.
Thanks cestrum for reminding me about Irfanview...I forgot that I had it and how useful it was.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 2:47 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 17, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8812894

They are stuffed skirts ...stuffed skirts tend to stay stuffed in some conditions or will drop after a couple of days.
Aren't they pretty .
Knightii doubles usually drop their skirts (here any way.).

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 3:00 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 17, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8812908

Pink Panther last year, when it did the same thing with it's petaloids.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 17, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8812921

But the sang seedlings are still going, Chrissy?
Sometimes I find the seedlings can go completely dormant in the hot weather and then suddenly resume growth when it cools down again in Autumn.
Though as you say it's perhaps best to start them in Autumn anyway.

Well I think it's been said before but sanguinea can actually survive conditions of extreme heat perhaps moreso than is commonly believed, they just don't like it (for example mine have survived heatwaves almost every year, including temperatures approaching fifty degrees on Black Saturday)
Yeah I don't like the chance of rooting Sphaeros in summer though (well it's probably possible, maybe flava and arborea may be better able).

Jean, how are your sang cuttings going? If successful they should flower for you by Autumn.
Sometimes the cuttings can just sit there for 3 months apparently alive (but not growing), then either proceed to finally successfully root, or suddenly collapse and die overnight.
Also I am happy to report your Io australe alba is bursting into life. In fact, its already got roots coming out the bottom of the pot! lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 17, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8812940

Lucas, I am pleased to report that a few more sang seeds have sprouted. It is about the first real warm weather they have had since starting . The cuttings are , as you say, just sitting there looking at me. They are not wilting , but not growing either. The little sucker is now in a big pot . I moved him this morning.
his leaves are different to the other cuttings. They are smoother and a lighter green. The sang cuttings have furry grey/ green leaves.
Just for fun, I planted some of the sang seeds a bit later in several mixes to see what difference it made. One is succulent mix, one is potting mix and the other is a mix of seed raising mix with perlite and coir fibre. . All the seeds are starting to sprout. Looks like I will have a forest of sangs . Hopefully they will all survive.
My 2 arborea seedlings are growing well , now around 3 1/2 foot high. No sign of any Y yet though.

BB & GHA are getting into a new flush .
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 17, 2011
11:36 PM

Post #8812980

Glad to hear it Jean,
They just vary... that pre-rooted sucker is actually off the same plant!
Just different growth phases and microclimate (below a Y and more shade) I believe.

Don't be scared to inspect the cuttings for signs of roots too, they are very tolerant of root disturbance in my limited experience.

I will be interested to hear of the results of your different seed raising mix trials.

Shouldn't be too long now for a Y on your arborea?

Your GHA cutting looks good.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 18, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8813815

Elfin Pink is flowering again. What I wanted to show was the two-toned colour of the unopened bud, which I find very pretty.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 18, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8813822

That is pretty Cestrum. I must watch mine this year .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 18, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8814095

That is a very bright colour isn't it...lovely.

Clementine almost out...even though the flower burst out of it's calyx, it looks normal.
The calyx on the other side is torn...
All the buds on Clementine are erect, so erect that to call them nodding wouldn't be accurate.
once the flower opens then they start to nod...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 18, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8814119

I read and look at the forum about 3/4 times a day to learn and see the wonderful blooms and the doubles are wonderful, were can you get them, I lost my variegated, Culebra, and my only 2 seed pods, but here is my big y.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 19, 2011
12:05 AM

Post #8814328

Normally Gena, I would suggest you use http://elarishtropicalexotics.com...but due to the Cyclone they experienced...I couldn't find any Brugs for sale...no doubt they will have more soon...you can email them to inquire...good prices, good stock.
There is another but a bit expensive, called Sacred Gardens..here is the web site.
http://www.sacredgardenfrangipanis.com

I am glad that you are checking the posts...for some reason I couldn't enlarge your big Y...
There is so much to learn...bad luck about your pods, mine is still hanging on...if I get some seeds I will send you some...
Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
12:12 AM

Post #8814329

Dianne, I think that Sacred Gardens have got their brugs named wrongly. Chrissy or Alistair will know for sure. Colleen
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 19, 2011
12:58 AM

Post #8814341

Thank you so much.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 19, 2011
1:07 AM

Post #8814342

The seedling brugs such as FFA and my double pink aren't available commercially because they are hybrids that have been grown from seed by hobby gardeners, like most of us here. The seed from doubles generally comes from overseas--you can search ebay for seed from ArghyaGardens or join BGI and received a selection of seeds each quarter for only the cost of postage (plus your yearly membership subscription). When we have cuttings available of our seedling brugs, we generally let people know here on this forum ...
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 19, 2011
1:22 AM

Post #8814345

Thank you, every day you learn some. I had 17 bloom and it has a small trunk .

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 19, 2011
1:36 AM

Post #8814347

I did the big y again with new picture, the same so I can tell you the y tips are about a foot of new growth. so there are growing well.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 19, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8815260

It looks really healthy, Gena...If you are serious about growing lots of Brugs, take cestrum's advice and join BGI...it is well worth it...

Also have a look at this one.
This is an excellent site for learning about the physical side of the plants..it will help if you want to cross some...
http://www.abads.org/members/anatomy.htm Bookmark it for yourself...
You can check out your Brugs for Asymmetrical/Subequal leaves...which occur in the flowering region..
Colleen, I answered your question in a Dmail.

Clementine this morning...The perfume is wonderful as always but I couldn't figure out why it looked different...
6 POINTS

This message was edited Sep 20, 2011 8:49 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8815286

Dianne he actually has 7 POINTS doesn't he? How beautiful is that? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 19, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8815303

Wish it did but, the extra one is from the 2nd skirt which is not fully formed..
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8815513

Here's my poor mutilated Clementine. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 19, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8815516

BB showing off. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 19, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8815594

Thank that is good, I can learn more

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 19, 2011
11:28 PM

Post #8815810

Very pretty Colleen and Gena...

Poor Clementine is right...mine is under the verandah...till these winds die down...
Butter Bomb must be very hardy.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 20, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8816540

Chissy Here are my poor little girls now with all the nice warm sun repotted into buckets a lot of new leaves both have Y'ed very low about 1 inch from the soil ,

How about the wind yesterday I had no damage only dead palm fonds fell hope no damage in your garden.------------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 20, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8816565

Looking good Elaine. Dianne and Colleen, how is GHA doing at your places ?
I found that both GHA and BB were unaffected by the wind except for maybe a bit of a torn leaf . If anyone wanted brugs that survive anything, these are the two that I would have. GHA is in the area that gets all the north wind and he just laughed at it. BB is in a similar place too.
I am hoping that eventually all the wimps will harden up a bit more. They lean over and cry when the wind comes up. Luckily the buds are still on Giant and Bucks Fizz.
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 20, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8816661

Colleen you will get your aurea soon

I am not convinced it is a pure species aurea (though it is very close) as it's said to be very rare and mine looks a bit different to my eye to the pure species one on pg. 32 of Preissels book which features a more pendulous bloom and the calyx covering more of the corolla.

Though it is very close to this one Goldenes Kornett
http://picasaweb.google.com/brugmansiadk/Brugmansia#5158470939667095810

and also Bert which is apparently of hybrid origin.

Do we have other "wild species" aureas?

Also, a white sanguinea!!
http://picasaweb.google.com/brugmansiadk/Brugmansia#5158471948984411218
x arborea somewhere in history, perhaps?

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 20, 2011
10:23 PM

Post #8817235

I just collected a seedpod off my aurea which I pollinated with Old Apricot.
I intend to sow some but have a few spare, if anyone wants them just Dmail me. Limited amount so get in quick.

I wish there to be a mango coloured seedling in there somewhere... lol.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 20, 2011
10:30 PM

Post #8817237

As it is at your place Jean, so it is at mine...tough as old boots...it is trying to catch up to mine in height which it will do fairly soon...it has Y'd so they will be side by side for comparison...and I will try to cross them, to be certain...

Very interesting links, Lucas...I have seen some of Tonny's before...though I only knew a few of those photographed...the white Sang x was interesting..so were some of his Aureas...

Not having seen Goldenes Kornett in the flesh, my Aurea doesn't look as flared as GK and the corolla teeth look longer...though as usual it could be the pics...I would be surprised if our's were pure...
That's why we need Alistair's book..LOL...

If you want to do your head in..have a look at this...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/912582/?hl=dr+preissel

I have a headache just looking at it all...

You needn't look Chrissy..you were a contributor...

Here is lovely Clementine again...I will be interested to see if there are any more 6 pointers..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 20, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8817238

Congrats on your seedpod...Lucas...hope you get a mango one...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 20, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8817247

The sang seeds I am trying in various mixes are all coming up.
I see no real differences in any of them so it looks like they will grow in anything.
Maybe I should just toss a few on the ground and see what happens .. lol.
If they all grow I will have a forest of sangs.
I just hope they like wind because we do get a lot of it here most of the year.
I finally have seeds from all my own seed pods sprouting so I am not feeling left behind now.
I am waiting for flowers to open so I can pollinate. Some of the buds have fallen off "Giant " but there are still about 4 left.
I see tiny wee buds on Pink Panther so I am hoping . No sign of any Ys on anything else at the moment.
Dianne, I found that interesting. Just like when I used to breed budgies many years ago.
I always did like genetics.
I would love to get a piece of Goldenes Kornet to grow and compare with GHA .
Be great for breeding here too.
A pity we cant import plant material like cuttings.

Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 20, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8817260

Thanks for the link, that guy is my hero, LOL

The closest I've seen is this one, Bert
http://www.abads.org/abads/Gallery/B/brugmansia_bert.htm

Which is not a pure species...
Bert = ? x Whiskers
Whiskers = Charles Grimaldi x ?(x candida x aurea)
according to: -If I got it right-, lol
http://www.ibrugs.org/portals/0/ibrugs%20namelist.htm

Jean, I will take cuttings from above the Y so they flower earilier so you can cross it with your GHA to determine whether they are different clones.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 21, 2011
2:37 AM

Post #8817313

I had many long chats with Eric ...a genius ! He gave us lots of great tips ( and headaches as newbies trying to sort this from that ).
I think he may have burned the candle at both ends in his Quest for the perfect brug because as far as I know he is no longer into Brugs (what a shame).

Elaine hi, great to see you in the Brug Fan Club ...your babies are not sporting Y's there, they are new shoots, so you will get nice bushier type growth. Let me know if you want any more cuttings.

Gena you are doing very well, in a few weeks our trades start up and you will be able to swap cuttings with other growers here. some may be swapping now, I like to make sure plants are producing very strong new Spring growth that won't be checked by a cold snap.

Jean well done with your cold climate babies ! great news !

Loving the Spring excitement in the thread .
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 21, 2011

Post #8818193

Lucas, if you look on that link you have then compare to the ABADS list, there are differences .
ABADS have Charles Grimaldi = Dr Seuss x Frosty Pink
Dr Seuss = found in Colunbia.

Your link has Charles Grimaldi = Dr Seuss
Dr Seuss = Butterfly
Butterfly = Rothkirch x Ocre
Ocre = found in Columbia
Rothkirch - found in Columbia.

Looks like we need to breed back to Rothkirch and Dr Seuss to get some more good aurea genes going
As far as I know , we dont have Ocre here.
I would like to get some of Charles Grimaldi and Dr Seuss, if anyone has any cuttings. ( preferably from above a Y so they will flower quickly)
I do have some seedlings with Rothkirch in the breeding so will look after those and see what the flowers turn out to be. If they look good , I will try crossing back to GHA

It is very hard to pin down breeding of some of the brugs with all the crossing going . In a way, we are lucky having such a small gene pool to start with.
Maybe between us we can keep the names right on our brugs at least.
Jean.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 21, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8818238

Fist seeds got them of e-bay double lemon that is all the name. I put them in water for 24 hour.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 21, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8818832

Are you going to peel them?

Gena, I have sent you a Dmail...have a look at the top of the page...you will see that you have mail...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 21, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8818839

Gena that is a Datura not a Brugmansia ...I am always very wary of people selling stuff they obviously don't know anything about, either that or they are trying to trick you. There is a vast difference between a Datura .
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7035-double-yellow.aspx
and a double yellow Brugmansia.
http://ibrugs.com/Community/iBrugsCommunityPods/PodsView/tabid/222/asg/30/aft/674/showtab/groupforums/Default.aspx

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRUGMANSIA-Double-Lemon-Angels-Trumpet-6-fresh-seeds-/290500389616?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item43a32c2af0

I haven't time to chat right now but back later.
ooops edited to say Don't peel Datura seeds ...they are quite different to Brug seeds , just plant them.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011 5:26 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 21, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8818843

Love the photo of Eric and his brug border: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5666387 It looks like a bed of cabbages LOL Until it bursts into bloom! I reckon growing them like vegies is a good way to go. I've just transplanted a few of my 2009 seedlings out into a small bed and, instead of just mulching with sugarcane, decided to underplant with leafy vegies: some parsley seedlings and lettuce seeds so far. Probably some radish seeds soon too. Wondering how to then protect this area from the pets, I enclosed it in bird netting. This has the added bonus of protecting the brugs from white cabbage moth and other caterpillars until they grow thru the netting.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 21, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8818844

I really should take the time to name my photos!
2nd time lucky ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 21, 2011
11:36 PM

Post #8818846

That Clementine is a pretty brug but I didn't realise how big the flowers were.
Got a surprise this morning to find this knightii bloom: it's the largest knightii flower I've seen so far. Dunno why--maybe because there are only two other buds on the branch.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 21, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8818848

Elfin Pink, blooming away as if those frosty winter nights were nothing more than a nightmare ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 21, 2011
11:48 PM

Post #8818849

I though so, thank you.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 21, 2011
11:53 PM

Post #8818853

Just imagine how many Eric would have had growing at any one time...amazing...

Bird netting is a great idea, cestrum as is the veggies...I have planted beans at the bottom of mine so they can run up the bare stems...my beans have red flowers so no colour co-ordination in my garden.
Mind you, that went by the wayside ages ago.

A lot of the people who contribute to this forum grow Daturas, Gena...and love them...Colleen has some babies at the moment...
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 21, 2011
11:55 PM

Post #8818854

I though so, thank you. I can not get the Dmail

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 22, 2011

Post #8818867

Gena...This is an obvious thing to say, but did you go to the top where the dark blue line is...it says Mail..click on there. I have copied the area so click on this and you will know where I am sending you...

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011 8:21 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 22, 2011

Post #8818869

That reminds me, I *did* sow peas at the foot of each trellis. On second thought, though, I probably should have sown beans as it's probably too warm for peas here. I'll see if any germinate and oversow if necessary.

Jean, I thought I had Dr Seuss but I think now it's only a seedling with Dr Seuss somewhere in its heritage. Which is why I've called it Dr Seuss X. Don't know if the real Dr Seuss is found in Australia.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 22, 2011
1:18 AM

Post #8818893

That Eric Knight guy was a legend, he kept coming up when I was researching Brug genetics a while back lol.
He really was right into hybridisation for sure! and look how many plants he had... crazy!

LOL you tell em Chrissy, I am constantly amazed by the amount of misinformation about this genus
like for example as I browse through a certain online garage sale I see
seeds of a "suaveolens" which are clearly a candida or versicolor
more "suaveolens" seeds which look to me like some aurea hybrid
and thing is that is if the seeds actually came from the plant in the pic... often the pics are just stolen off the net
and Then to top if off they sometimes say you will actually grow what's in the pic, so that fancy double pink etc.
and the Daturas labelled as Brugs (customs?)
like the classic purple "brug"
Brugs labelled as Datura (they wouldn't have a clue what the difference is, or indeed that there is a difference eh)
and on a certain brug site I see a supposed "Goldenes Kornett"... which is not even an aurea!

Gena if you want some free seeds just Dmail me :)
The Daturas will probably grow anyway but I don't think they need soaking
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 22, 2011
2:34 AM

Post #8818923

my be I can not open Dmail because I am not a payed member, thank lucas13, Chrissy is write they are not Brugmansia but Daturas, o well there are panted.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 22, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8819767

Gena, I contacted Dave's and this was the reply.

Thank you for your note.
She should be able to send d-mail and open her messages. We do limit non-subscribed members to sending 2 messages in a 24 hour period (to limit spammers) but there is no limit on replies or in accessing any D-mail.

If you'll have her contact the Helpdesk, I'll try to assist her in getting familiar with the features here. It has to be something simple.

Happy Gardening,
melody

At the right side bottom of this page you will see CONTACT US...that will take you there.
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 23, 2011
12:42 AM

Post #8820199

Finally here ...sorry to be checking in so late I had a fair bit on today ... the sirens have been screaming all day as they rush to fires (they caught two of the arsonists).

Wow so much going on here ! Lovely to see.

A net over everything is a great idea cestrum ...I used to put a piece of metal plate with little smallish squares over my seedlings (the germinating ones) to ward off the bugs and it worked a treat ...it sat over the top of the polystyrene box I had the seedlings in.
I had no grubs in those seedlings at all. I am very interested in your adventures in the veggie side of things, just hope the vines won't mess with the leaves. I have a problem here re veggies ...a big black and white rabbit has decided to adopt my garden, so far no damage but it is a worry, can't catch it, it's a pet because it has a collar ...put a notice up at the Post Office and hoping the owner comes to pick it up. I have always loved Elfin Pink too, though I wish it didn't grow so tall.

Lucas Eric used to plant his seedling brugs only one foot apart if I recall correctly ( must try and find the talk about that) and he would experiment with different ways to make them bloom quickly, then toss those that he didn't want to work with after only one bloom (he was an expert, unlike me ). So that would have made more room as he culled them.
After my experience I can't help but think he may have missed a couple of beauties in doing that ...only because some of mine have improved in the second season. He is on FB but isn't into Brugs at all these days, a real shame.

Gena like Dianne said lots of people grow both Datura and Brugmansia ...you will love them both I am sure.

Jean they are still going through the lists to compare them at the sites, I think they will combine the complete lists after cross checking. So hang tight re the names until that's sorted (I speak of Australian names that have two or three different names).
Don't forget Alistair will reveal all in his book.

Hungry hubby and brother to be fed so bye for now ...I might be able to find some info re Eric and his Brug adventures, Ithink we talked here (could have been in ABADS ) but I will check it out later.

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 23, 2011
2:07 AM

Post #8820212

There is my unknown one flowering again, you are right it love fertilizer. the seeds are in.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 23, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8820960

Lots of interesting reading above.

Busy here both garden and work wise - starting to collect seed from x's last season.

Here is 'Clementine' - the first flush of spring blooms tend to be a little deformed. These however are rapidly replaced by several flushes of perfect blooms. Our shrub is reaching 3 x 3 m. We did not prune this winter as I wanted to see how big this plant will grow.

Watching 3 pods on 'Clementine' x 'Coral Reef' - Great expectations! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 23, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8821025

There is a better picture you can open, do not know why it does that to some pic thay are from the same place.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 23, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8821031

There
is the big y again.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 23, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8821087

Your garden has regained its loveliness, Wayne :-)
This Pink Smitty x Dorthea seedling is another brug whose flower is multicoloured until it matures (into a solid pink).

This message was edited Sep 24, 2011 9:17 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 23, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8821088

See what I mean.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 23, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8821089

A view from below.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 23, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8821230

Gena, your pink is very pretty...and the one with the Y is going to make a lovely standard..what colour is the flower?

cestrum, that is a very pretty flower at those stages...especially in the last pic...I have some seedlings by Mango Crush, hoping for something similar...

Last week I was thrilled to find that Clementine had 7 pts in her first skirt, now that she has 9 in another flower...I am beginning to think that extra pts might be common in doubles ...I only have Clementine that has flowered...so my question is...do doubles normally have lots of points?

Next question, ...I was going to ask why I hadn't seen Clementine as a parent...now Wayne has pods on Clementine...so I imagine the answer was probably because it hasn't been around for very long...Does anyone else have Clementine pods? or used it as a pollen parent?
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 23, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8821291

White one, this is it before.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 23, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8821515

That's very nice Gena ...you are going very well. Spring should produce some lovely blooms for you.

Dianne I think you will find a mix of points in the doubles just like the singles ...according to conditions, as we have found it happens on most of our brugs at various times.
Of course there are the rarer ones that seem to have it as an actual trait like Butter Bomb and Jean has one with those genes in it's parent too. Clementine is quite new so that is why there is no history on it's babies yet. In the next two to three years perhaps.
Meanwhile most of you have the same seed crosses to grow out, you never know what treasure may appear from those.

cestrum Pink Smitty is a really great parent and will probably give you beautiful babies one day, I love it ! and yes I have a couple that do it too ...a sort of mottled pigment looking thingy as the colour creeps in, I am looking forward to seeing how yours turns out, mine didn't obtain the full colour until they were torn from the tree, but I remember the colour on them after that, looking down on the ground I found one bloom in full solid colour and it was so pretty. I also have seen it in Earth Angel babies too, but only in strange weather.
Here is a Clementine bloom with multi points ...it looks just like little flames ...it may be a trait so everyone please take notes on your next lot of Clementine blooms.

3 x 3 m Clementine ...ooh I am so tempted to plant mine in the ground after hearing that Wayne ... but I will just get a bigger pot Lol. Beautiful !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8822210

This was it last night, changing colour already.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8822212

Last night, side view.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8822224

This morning. It's a brug that promises more than it delivers. Once it's mature, the colour is an ordinary light pink but the shape is crude and rather unattractive.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8822228

You can better see what I mean in this photo--ugh.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8822230

Yet the buds looked so promising.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8822234

Still, it's got great genes and an aurea perfume, so I'm hoping that the pods on it might yield an interesting seedling.
Seems to be a good pod parent and pollen donor.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8822387

What did you cross it with cestrum ?
The pod looks like the Butter Bomb pods.
Give it a chance ...you need two seasons to really find out what it can do.
I remember when you wished something was anything but white ^_^.
we have come a long way since then.
Some Brug lovers find that reflex attractive ...I don't think it is "plain"
Nice fragrance, good pollen (I can see the generous pollen).
Still too early to judge it.
It will be something good to work with ...how wide is that face ?, it looks generous.
Cross it to Pink Panther ...I would.
You have some lovely pinks to work with but PP carries both colours and you may get a combination of colours.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8822393

Chrissy, I have a cutting here from you that was simply marked as Big Stripey noid . It was quite a while back in 2009 and the piece has finally grown nicely after a slow start . Any idea of what it is ? I have a feeling you said it was originally from Mya.
I will be potting up a lot of little babies as soon as the sun decides to stick around. Lots of them popping up now with a bit of warmth.
I will have to find a new place to keep them all outside now. The area I used to use is now the back shadehouse.
Maybe down under the big boys Lots of room there as I keep the leaves off the trunks of all those in the ground.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8822405

Yes, we have come a long way! (Anything but white!!) But it's not as pretty as either of the double pinks, not just because they're double but because their blooms have a delicacy and attractive shape to them. These in contrast look like overblown collagen-injected lips. Perhaps I should nickname it Hot Lips LOL
BTW, this is its second blush. The first was in autumn and the blooms are identical, from the promising unfurled bud to the disappointing mature flower. I think it's one to breed from for its potential rather than to admire for itself. There are two labelled pods on it--Golden Butter and Old Apricot--and two unlabelled ones.
I've already torn up the flower to get its pollen. For a size comparison, here it is with one of my fat knightiis. (It's the second bloom on this plant that's fatter/larger than normal.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8822410

Alistair Idéd big Stripey as almost pure Versicolor (a white) Jean ...I got mine from Mya that may be why you thought it was Maya.
It has a delicious lemon fragrance ...like lemon cake.
It's a nice one Jean ...likes some warmth being a Versicolor, I like it a lot, it is nick named big stripey because after a day or two it has apricot stripes along the point lines.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8822423

cestrum the Pink Smitty ones seem to prefer the heat (here) and are darker in the Summer, you haven't seen it in the Summer yet, so wait until then before you have a real picture of your bloom.
A good breeder even if it does not get colour.
Congratulations on your pods my Tenshi was overblown to my eyes the first cooler season and then just got better and better.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8822426

Don't worry, Chrissy--I'm not about to yank it out just yet LOL
Just an honest assessment of how it looks to me ...
PS See the two asparagus spears in the background? The taller one is at least a metre high. And the groundcover in the background is the white/yellow alpine strawberry: it spreads like a weed. But I like it *much* better than my other weeds :-)

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 8:48 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8822427

Later starting to improve

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8822431

Yes yummy asparagus ! Congratulations !
It does not show very well in this picture but it was a lovely warmer pink in warmer weather.
You could see it has both golds and pinks in it.
You need a year at least but preferably two.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8822435

I can't describe the excitement of the first year growing out those seeds ...so fingers crossed for everyone to have great success wih those babies ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8822438

Yes, Tenshi is a cutie and I've always like that pink/yellow combo. (Mango Crush seedlings, Dianne? I can't wait to see them bloom!)
I've just been peeling some overseas seed and I must say the quality is disappointing: 4 viable kernels from 10 corks (the rest were empty). My worst was a cross yesterday that yielded only 2 kernels from 9 corks. I assume they're viable; won't know until they start to germinate. (Or don't.) Ah well, that's fewer seedlings to look after ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8822453

Such a shame Brenda Delph is no longer selling seeds ...I can only say (I haven't tried any others yet) that she was wonderful.).
She spot checked hers and that is why I do too, she recommended checking one in ten.
Sorry you have had such results wow, that's not too good.
I think without spot checking you can't be certain the seeds corks are not empty.
I have checked so many that I can almost always recognize an empty cork before I peel it. Sore fingers much ?
It isn't the cost so much as the time and effort taken to try and grow empty corks.
If a new gardener buys those seeds it's enough to scare them off Brug seeds for life. I wonder how many times that has happened.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 24, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8822465

Sounds as though you got a bad batch like me Cestrum. Not one of the seeds have germinated as yet. Ah well, will try again. I'm a bit disappointed as some were Vixen crosses. I was looking forward to seeing them. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8822632

There can always be a hiccup somewhere Colleen, this is why we peel them before planting, otherwise you could be wasting your time and efforts. Some seeds may rot or be eaten and not appear for that reason. At least if you know there is a seed present, you know you are in with a good chance.

So for anyone out there (looking but not talking) take note : just because there is a cork ...that does not mean there is a seed. ^_^
Peeled seeds to the right.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8822639

What were your Vixen crosses, Colleen?
What I like to do with ungerminated seeds is put them all (in their individual labelled containers) into one mini-propagator with the lid shut and all the vents closed (to stop evaporation), then place it under a tree or large shrub in shade. Some of them could still germinate and this is better than throwing them out into the garden and then sometime down the track having a crop of NOIDs germinating!

Chrissy's made a good point: peeling them ensures that at least there's a kernel inside instead of an empty cork.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 24, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8822685

Yes I did peel them. That's how I knew that some didn't even have kernels in them. It was Vixen X Pink Perfection. There was another 2 crosses of something different as well. Can't remember without going and looking. Anyway the vulsa were certainly viable and they are about a good foot tall now. I have lost some of the Daturas from snails, slugs so that is my own fault. I have 4 Knightii X going now. Let's hope I can get them to maturity this time. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8822759

It looks like the only Vixen seedlings I've gotten to germinate so far is Vixen x Mandarin Twist, sown in May, and only 2 seedlings (one of them sickly according to my notes) so far out of 7 kernels sown. They'll be out in one of the greenhouses so I'll have to try and remember to check on them. Vixen x Jessie Noel seeds were sown in two batches--one mid July, one mid Aug--and none have germinated. In fact, it looks like most of the batches of free seeds from BGI received in May *haven't* germinated eg Delta Dawn x Karoline and Joli x Double Dark Rosetta Pod #2 and Daydreams x Dorthea. The July batch doesn't look like it's germinated either, but I'll have to check outside to confirm that some haven't germinated in the interim.

Meanwhile, the insects are out in force. The overnight shower brought the snails out and I picked a good handful of larger ones this morning that had been tempted by the moisture to stay out longer in the foliage before retreating to the base of the plants/pots where they hide out during the day. I'm already seeing tiny caterpillars on the underside of brug leaves, and even find the odd one dangling from my hair after I've worked outside. This muncher I managed to catch this morning. It caught my attention when it flew past me at speed, like a small bird. I put on my gloves and managed to catch it by pretending not to see it. (It was killed humanely under the heel of my shoe--cutting the head off with secateurs leaves the body writhing for a long time but this way all movement stops instantly and, I assume, all pain.) Photo's out of focus because I had to take it with my other hand.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8822766

I decided to plant this Malabar spinach seedling in a corner of my new brug bed. Vegies really struggle here in the heat and humidity of summer; the leafy greens either wilt or bolt to seed. This one is known to grow well in these conditions but, since reading that when cooked--or maybe overcooked-- it tastes 'mucilaginous' (i.e. slimy), I'm rather less enthusiastic about growing it now.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 24, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8822783

Good idea cestrum...last year I had 4 noid seedlings pop up with seeds that had their own id's, so now I don't know which is which...
Some of the peeled seeds are so tiny, if they don't grow when expected, it's hard to find them amongst the seed mix...
I forgot to mention this before cestrum, my pics of Clementine are deceptive...it's only a small flower.
Mucilaginous Malabar spinach...no cestrum, it doesn't sound very appetising.

Even though, I assume the OS seeds that we buy or get as freebees...well the freebees might not be too fresh... are fresh, none of the ones that I have planted have come up as quickly as Jean's seed...so really fresh is obviously best.
With one exception...The Vulsa crosses...I know that they weren't as fresh as Jean's because they had been in the seed bank for a while...Everytime that I looked in, Michael Graupe's Vulsa seeds were still there.
Here is another of the many pointed Clementines, not properly formed but not unattractive...

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 2:43 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8822840

Here's the Vixen x Mandarin Twist seedling, not looking healthy. The only other one to germinate died.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8822844

Earth Angel x Langenbuscher Garten, not looking particularly vigorous.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 3:04 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8822849

Salmon Perfektion x unknown seedling, another May sowing and looking just OK.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8822852

My own Golden Butter crosses, sown July, are growing strongly and looking very healthy.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8822858

Jean's (Perfect Harmony x The Chief) x GHA, sown 29 July, is looking very healthy.
The aurea seeds seem to be strong growers; perhaps winter sowings suit them best.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 24, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8822861

Mind you, there are quite a few of my own autumn-sown crosses that have not germinated.
So it's hard to generalise ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 24, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8822908

You are right about the aurea genes Cestrum. Remember a little while back, I was thinking I would have none of my own seeds growing at all. Now I have several from each pod that are already getting their second leaves. They will even pass the earlier sangs in growth, I think.
Looks like the aureas especially GHA are strong growers here in the cold and up there where its a bit warmer.
Watch out or you may have a forest of them.
My US seeds are also looking good. I peel all the seeds without having to soak them as I have strong nails just right for the job.
I have not had a problem with any empty ones before , but I did find 3 in this new lot, which is not too bad.
I am still waiting on the buds on Giant & Bucks Fizz to open. Very slow in the cold. I hope all the buds left, stay on as the wind has knocked quite a few off.
Nothing worse than going out to find buds on the ground from a plant that hasnt even flowered yet.
Once all my seedlings flower, they are going to be cut back hard . I want shorter bushy plants
I am pleased to say that Clementine is finally behaving like a good plant and growing strongly
The slugs seem to be having a ball with a couple of the brugs this year. I need to put even more slug pellets around.
I find that my Bergfeuer crosses like the knightii are totally unaffected by bugs. They must have a bad taste for the slugs.
Jean
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 25, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8823626

Hi Chrissy sorry its taken so long to answer Thanks for your kind offer my 4 plants is enought for now the 2 special pots are ones you sent and I have 2 others I was given thate are Brugmansia XCandida Syd Datura just waiting for a bloom .
I Must be happy looking at everyones and waiting for my first bloom.------elaine.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 26, 2011
12:03 AM

Post #8824224

Jean, I am trialling that peat brick as a cutting medium...it holds the moisture so very well...I dip the cuttings in rooting gel/powder then into the plastic cup filled with the damp peat...no standing in water until the nubbies appear, just into the peat...I started a month ago with 2 Buck's Fizz and 2 of Colleen's Riverland Frosty...they look ok so far, so do the Clementine cuttings, that I started 3 weeks ago.
I thought that I would try it, because when I soaked the brick...it made so much that it was just sitting in the bucket...I didn't really have any use for it...I thought that it would dry out then I would use it in pots..
But it stayed wet...

Has anyone else used it like this, if so, was it successful?

I figure that with all the different genes we have here now I won't be buying any more OS seeds, but I may be asking for pollen if any of our members here, grows something that I like..when I get the hang of using it...lol

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 26, 2011
2:46 AM

Post #8824255

Jean the large purple Iochroma (I. grandiflora)... I only have one that has rooted, with another looking likely. The coccinea (red) and cyanea types seem to be easier to strike.
Have your plants recovered from their radical pruning?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 26, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8825310

Yes Lucas. The Iochromas are getting new shoots all over the plants. Next time I will cut them even shorter for nice bushy plants.
The larger purple grandiflora and the red coccinae are already well leafed , but then I only cut them back to around 4'high.
I see them becoming giants again.
How is the white going for you. I found the whites flowered earlier with more flowers. I do like their more bell shape as compared to the longer trumpets on the other Iochromas. One day I may get the blue I australis with the pretty bell flowers.

Dianne, when I soak a coir block, I keep it in the greenhouse for use in lots of things. I add some to potting mix for plants that like to be a bit moist.
I use it with perlite for all my cuttings and I also add it to perlite and seed raising mix for seeds.
Its good to lightly cover seeds too as you can spray it to keep the seeds moist.
I usually use 2 blocks every year.
I did use it on its own to put brug cuttings in once. They rooted quickly
Usually I just stick the cuttings straight into a pot of seed raising mix and potting mix. They seem to grow in whatever they are put in .
The coir is also great to add to potting mix with some perlite and water crystals for the older brugs as you get a free draining mix that will also hold a bit of moisture
Which reminds me , I need more.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 26, 2011

Post #8825338

Whoo Hoo the orange flower is on it's way. Will take a pic of the colour now before it comes out for you all to see. Colleen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 26, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8825368

here tis. Reynella Orange aka Red Hot Pink, Munchausen. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 26, 2011

Post #8825482

Jean, my australe alba is leafing out. Hopefully it will flower soon.
My cyaneum are flowering prolifically, I have 2 different shades of purple, one is bluish and the other deeper purple. These ones grow easily from cuttings and seed they can flower in 5? months from sprouting.

I know where there are large plants of a blue (and white) I. australis, but I had no luck growing cuttings.
I will try the blue one again.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8825655

Wow so much going on in the threads ...good to see.
Colleen why don't you start a new thread when your Brug opens right up ?
It's a nice one ...I can't wait for mine to bloom. Should have had it bloom already but for the big hail taking out the top.

Elaine yes in your garden they are probably going to be considered a bit big ...don't forget to pot them on when those roots poke out of the bottom of the pot, can't wait to see yours bloom too.

Just look at all those babies taking off ...(Brug factories lol ) me too I could not stop ...makes it hard to keep up for me right now.
But they will be patient and wait for their individual care. I so remember when I first started ...inspecting every single leaf on every single little baby at least twice a day. These days life gets in the way a bit (for a while at least.) Yesterday I was not free until after three and by the time I got out there it was almost time to come back in to cook etc ...well at least the rain watered everything ...or should I say flooded everything.

Wayne,cestrum, Dianne and Jean ...many many congratulations ! you are leading the charge (wish Judy could see what is happening- I hope she has had a Sea Change and is happy, maybe she is quietly Brugging away too ) Mya -I think may have decided it was too hard fighting off all the problems with the munchers and weather disasters, these dear ladies have done so much for the Brug cause here - we all miss them and thank them.

Lucas, Gena it's wonderful to see what you are doing ...Lucas you will probably be the Cool Brug gardener to watch, congratulations on getting all those things going ...thanks to you there is an interest in cool climate Brugs now, and that is wonderful.

Now just before I go and seize the day (well for maybe an hour) lol. I just wanted to say I am about to do the Eggs-periment right now. Those of you who may have seen it in the BGI forums already will know what I mean. Those who haven't (now don't laugh it's for real ) you get your pot (at least 10 ") and put a layer of compost (or cow poo) of a couple of inches, then a layer of eggs (uncooked-wash first if shop bought ) then another layer of compost. Then proceed to plant up as usual. The experiments show a big difference in the growth- as specially recommended for cuttings to get them rooting well. I will take pictures as I go, and anyone who does it too might like to let us know what results you get.
It does not surprise me as I have always buried a ham bone or fish etc under my passionfruit. I must admit I haven't done anything like that for the Brugs ...so why not ?
Enjoy your day ^_^ everyone.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 26, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8825746

Very good Chrissy, you got to try to know.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 26, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8825751

Is that brug known by two names (Reynella Orange aka Red Hot Pink)? Seems odd that they would be names with different colours?? Can't wait to see what it looks like when it opens.

Eggs? Uncooked and in their shells, if they're to be washed, I guess? Well, eggs are nutritious as they contain all the nourishment that the embryo needs (if the egg is fertilised ) to grow. Would it attract vermin (I'm thinking of rats), or would covering them with compost/manure prevent that? Interesting ...

OT but speaking of Judy makes me want to show this: I've finally planted out Judy's oleanders--the big one is a cutting and the others are seedlings grown from German seeds that Judy generously gave to us. This is my--third? fourth?--attempt at growing things in this bed. It's so hot and dry--perfect for cacti if I was that way inclined LOL Its previous incarnation was as a buddleja bed, but all but two of the buddlejas (including the B. x weyerianas, which are supposed to be well suited to this climate) died; most of them were davidii species so it's not so surprising that they turned up their heels here. There were only two buddlejas left: Spring Promise, which I dug out because I have rooted cuttings ready to transplant and they grow so quickly and will flower next winter/spring; and a mauve-pink (I think) B. davidii at the rear of the bed that I didn't have the heart to dig out. I reckon that most if not all of these will flower within six months as hot sun suits them, esp. as I intend to water them as necessary. Can't wait to see what the seedlings throw up, or indeed to see flowers on that lovely cutting for the first time. Many thanks, Judy, wherever you are :-)

Edited for typos.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2011 2:51 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 26, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8825820

Yes cestrum, thanks to Judy, I have the lovely Tantra and Domain...I miss her Oleander threads...
You will have to keep us up to date with those seedlings...I wonder if she ever got her deep yellow one.
Hopefully Mya will post now and again...she bought those lovely Cannas and it would be nice to see them fully grown and keep in touch..
I took about 4ft off Old Apricot this morning...he certainly needed a haircut and a thin out...left to his own devices he would be enormous.

Talking of orange, have a look at the colour of this 2 day old Clementine flower...the colour is as deep
as Buck's Fizz at it's darkest...no peach or apricot here...if anything the colour is a fraction darker than the pic...every flower is a surprise at the moment.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8825889

Never seen any overall colour like that on mine just pale lemon and then bright yellow,but then even Aztec Gold does get some orange on her at times (rare here but it does happen) just goes to show the difference in the weather conditions ...what temps are you having there Dianne ? we were down to 12C where we are yesterday but the weather thingy said it felt like 10C because of the cool wind and rain. We have the Badgery's Creek zone as we are just a few mins from there and Luddenham is huge in area (not in population). Today it's only 19C but reasonably pleasant despite everything being wet wet wet.
I did see it with an orange heart once though.

Gosh that Oleander will be fabulous cestrum, that will be very interesting to watch the seedlings develope, wonder what you will get ? I have three creamy yellow cuttings Judy sent that are ready to pot on.

About the washed bit (eggs) it may not be required I added that myself because someone I know said they dip the eggs in something (can't remember what ) and I thought it may be a good idea to wash them just in case.
Back outside now (been in for lunch).

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 26, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8825922

Cestrum, re the names. Reynella Orange because when my son saw the bush in Reynella SA he said that the flowers were orange, that's what caught his eye. Then when I posted pics of the flower on here no-one actually knew what it was. I think it is Red hot Pink aka Munchausen. The flowers that I saw were Orange with dark musky pink and bit of yellow. They were really beautiful. I'm waiting for this one to come out and I might be able to get an accurate ID. I would love to start a new thread with it thanks Chrissy. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 26, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8825987

Chrissy, there is nothing unusual about our temps 8c - 20c...the plant is in the same place as last year...it was only a baby this time last year, so this is the first time that I have seen early Spring flowers..it will be interesting to watch it...though it wasn't this colour in similar temps in Autumn.
Jean, does your's have any buds?...it might be our cooler clime.
Here are 2 others that opened after the first pic...the colour is the same, I expect them to get darker tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 26, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8825997

I can smell them from here Dianne, They're beautiful. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8825999

Two days ago it was about 31C and hot wind, perhaps your temperatures remain more stable ...humidity may be different too. Our temps seem to be full on roller coaster type weather and the changes are often very dramatic. Full Sun as apposed to various amounts of shade matters too. The more shade the more colour in most cases. If you look at the smoothness of these skirts you can see there is a little Winter stress on your blooms, I quite like it in it's frizzly state ...means the little buds started out in cold temps. The smoother bloom comes later in the season.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8826000

Ahhh yes Clementine has a unique fragrance ...delicious ! zingy fresh ! love it !
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 26, 2011
11:40 PM

Post #8826055

Alistair has every reason to be proud of Clementine: she's a beauty. And that colour is fabulous. Will be interesting to see what seedlings she produces too.
Good name for your brug, Colleen. Looks very pretty already.
Chrissy, funny you should mention that double creamy yellow oleander from Judy, because that's the cutting I thought was in the middle of my new oleander bed. So I checked the label and found it was instead the single yellow oleander, not the scented double ... which was still happily growing in its bucket, but the plants around it had shaded much of the direct sun. Now it's happily planted at the far right of the oleander bed, mulched and watered in. I reckon I heard them sighing with happiness as they stretched out their roots in the soil and felt that hot sun beating down on their leaves: must be oleander heaven :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2011
12:02 AM

Post #8826069

Lovely cestrum ...can't wait to see them bloom.

I just saw the Daily Telegraph headlines ...next week return to icy blasts and rain Winter returning for a week at least ...sigh !
Another crazy Spring ...snow to fall on the mountains.
Oh well what can you do.
Good luck with the weather everyone ...sheesh !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 27, 2011

Post #8826072

They will certainly take off now, cestrum...

Wayne, I hope you are looking in, that cross you have made with Clementine and Coral Reef is even more interesting, now that we can see how deep in colour Clementine can get...

Chrissy those buds would have formed when the temp was about 5C. overnight and 10/12 during the day
I like the crinkly look too...I didn't know that the cold caused the crinkle...thanks for that.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2011
12:33 AM

Post #8826079

p-ssst I am not the boss of the thread :) it's just that If I don't say anything the thread gets too long for the dial up gardeners to load. :) Can't wait to see your bloom open and in all of it's glory colleen.

Yes Dianne, Monika (The great Brug Queen explained this Winter Stress thing ) quite often an early blooming Brug will have this stressed sort of look and I only mention it because new Brug growers may think the bloom is not quite what they expected.
Some wear the Stressed look quite well, some don't. I think Clementine looks fascinating no matter what way she blooms.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 27, 2011
1:08 AM

Post #8826087

I misread that as the Crazy Telegraph LOL
Mild temps with low humidity during the day (mid to late 20s), fresh to cool at night here (7 to 12 C): quite lovely.
Wouldn't mind some of your rain, Chrissy. Expecting a thunderstorm on Thursday here, otherwise fine and dry ...
Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes hasn't yet settled down after winter, but it's coloured up nicely. Fragrant too. Shame about the leaves.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8826903

Dianne, I despair of ever seeing a bud on Clementine, this year anyway.
She is such a moody wimp here. One minute looking lovely and next, sulking with limp leaves. She gets the same attention as all the others but I guess she is a prima donna. wanting sole attention.
She has started to grow a bit more now . We'll see what the warmer weather does to her.
Hmmmm... maybe no warmer weather as yet by the look of the forecast.
My temps must be confusing to all the plants here, as it can go from a cold windy morning of around 4C up to 19C , then down again. It does the same in summer. Cold mornings and nights with days that can vary from a cold 8C to around 30C.
The temps and weather will vary so much even within a few miles.

Bucks Fizz and Giant are opening a flower. Cant wait. I should get a chair and sit out there watching ..lol.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8826987

Have a look at this beauty for your wish list.
There are a couple of other really lovely ones on there too.
we will have to keep an eye out on BGI for them.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/bouture-BRUGMANSIA-red-picotee-r-rare-plante-datura-/250899282518?pt=FR_YO_MaisonJardin_Jardin_PlantesGrainesBulbes&hash=item3a6ac33a56

Jean
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 27, 2011

Post #8827026

Now that's what I'm looking for Jean. Everyone keep your eyes peeled and let me know if you see seeds please. My Reynella Orange isn't right out yet. John said that when he went back to take some cuttings to that lady she had remembered what she had bought. It was Red Hot Pink. John said she had the name written down so she could tell him. So I think we can say that it is Munchausen. If the sun comes out it might open up more for me to get a decent pic to start the new thread. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8827053

Yes, Colleen, we will all be wanting that lovely picotee brug.
If its a genuine one , I definitely want one.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8827138

Here is one of the buds on Giant, starting to open.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8827143

Here is Clementine today. I was bending down to take the photo and , guess what ????
A tiny Y is forming
I may get to see flowers on her this year after all.
Colleen, she must have heard me talking about her.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 27, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8827192

Jean, she is such a lady, she will flower just for you...
What would the result be if she was crossed with your GHA...none of mine seem to have any pollen only dried up looking anthers...so if the later flowers produce pollen I will save it, until my GHA flowers.
It's so dark here I had to carry the pot out into the garden to take the pic...the camera wanted to use the flash.

Here is the lady in question this morning...how is Baby, Jean?

Bet the rain just rolls by...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8827306

Dianne, Baby is powering on in his big pot now. Of the 2 small branches, one is still variegated and the other green. We wont know much really until he grows up.
A few sprinkles here. Just enough to make everything wet when you walk past I have noticed that GHA gets lots of pollen. I must collect some this year . Later in the warm weather I think. Lots of flowers on him out there now, but a bit small and tattered with the weather.
BB is flowering too even though I chopped the long arms off. LOL.
Jean.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 28, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8828151

Jean, I hope that 'Giant' does not disappoint you. As I guess you know, this plant is just on trial - not yet Registered. Hard not to give seedlings a "name" - Yes, I think I have it recorded somewhere as "PPxnoid808Giant" - or similar. :)
The parent plant is towering away in our garden with buds way up high. The same plant in my parent's garden is in full bloom, maybe 30 or more flowers. It grows in dappled sunlight in their jungle. Mum had the gardening sense to give it the chop at the end of the growing season and was rewarded with a more compact plant with tons of bloom.
Chrissy and I wait patiently for blooms on 'Fire Fighter Angel' x 'Giant' - 11 seedlings here from last year.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 28, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8828268

Wayne, it certainly makes a difference in the wait for blooms, living down here. The seedlings will eventually flower, but grow very tall before that Y.
Even cuttings from above the Y get to be fairly tall before flowering
Most of my seedlings are now getting on to be 3 years old with no sign of a Y and some are around 5'+
It can be frustrating seeing everyones blooms while I look at leaves. I suppose they will be stronger and very acclimatised by the time they flower.
I will be waiting to see how my sanguineas perform here too. I hope they flower a lot quicker.
I am going to do as your mother did, later, after each plant flowers, and cut them back
No fun looking at a forest of trunks with flowers too high to enjoy or pollinate.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2011

Post #8828352

Raining here ...and for the next few days,
I see you are getting bad weather down your way too Jean.
I hope everyone will be ok and the gardens won't cop it too badly when the big winds hit.
I have moved my potted seedlings into a more sheltered situation ...I think your idea of chopping them right down after they bloom might be something to look at, seems like almost a standard practice overseas, so I might try that on some of my hybrids as soon as the weather improves. So frustrating when they are so tall you can't harvest the pollen or even see the blooms up close. I hope your babies bloom very soon for you Jean, mine are very slow once again this year, so you are not on your own. I know you will love Wayne's Giant.
I hope I can get out there some time today but once again there is the flooded driveway to wade through, not sure I want to do that while it is still raining.
I hope you all enjoy your morning anyway.
┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊ ☂ ه ☂ ┊ ☂ ه┊☂┊┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊ ☂ ه ☂ ┊ ☂ ه┊☂┊┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊ ☂ ه ☂ ┊ ☂ ه┊☂┊

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

September 28, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8828489

I found with Frosty Pink that if you cut it clean off immediately below a Y, leaving a pole all the doramnt lateral buds all start to grow, grow for about 20cms, then all terminate in Y's, producing heaps of flowers lower down. Interesting. Also sometimes my aureas have flowers on the dormant buds below a Y. it must be some hormonal thing.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8828515

Lucas great information. I was wondering if that happens because it may be a cutting grown plant from above the Y.
I have not had the experience of doing that with the seedling hybrids, have you ?
The cutting grown plant may be flowering wood already is what I mean.
The seedling grown plant is not flowering wood before the Y.
Just wondering if you can clarify that for us (if you have done it to a seedling).

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 28, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8828539

Good point Chrissy...re the Frosty Pink.

I have a seedling about 5' tall that Y'd but didn't flower...I have cut the top off to just below the Y, because it suffered a bit in the winter...it will be interesting to see if it does a similar thing.

The seedling that I cut a couple of feet off in Autumn to reduce it's size before it had Y'd, now has buds...it must have been about to Y when I chopped it off...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8828638

From what I understand and seems to be true in my experience is say for example the mother plant will reach flowering stage (Y) at say 5 ft then if you chop say 1ft off the leader (trunk top) then once the plants side shoots reach that height then they too will Y.

If it is a trunk cutting from Mother plant (the 5ft one) then the plant will need to grow up to the Y height , while an above the Y cutting can flower any time at any height (they still make little y's) because they are flowering wood.
I see Colleen has put up a lovely picture in the next thread ...
Hope she will remember the sign posts so no one will get lost ...^_^

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8828706

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223026/
thought I had better put the sign up ...I think colleen is busy ---------> walk this way ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 28, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8828709

Sorry everyone, but I don't know how to do that anyway but I did forget. Thanks Chrissy for showing everyone the way. Colleen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America