Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant): 9/ 11 survivor tree

Communities > Forums > Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)Replies: 3, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8810750

I recently read about a tree that survived in the area of Ground Zero. After being blasted, it eventually put out some green shoots. It was then moved offsite and went into tree 'rehab.' I think it will be moved back to the site. As inspiring as that may be, the tree is a callery pear...
Tom1alt
Garland, TX

September 19, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8815029

Never had a Bradford Pear but after being recommended in this area for a while, the horticulturists flip flopped and now do NOT recommend it. The problem apparently is that the limbs from the trunk come off "too vertical". What ends up happening as mentioned in the article is that you get limb and limb splitting due to their poor growth angle from the trunk. Bottom line: this tree is approaching "junk tree" status.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8815950

Tom~ You're so right about how the vertical angle. Out of 5 that were on our property, we had one left. Since it was behind my bedroom blocking the evening sun, I had it pruned back to about 8 feet tall. It has been so less likely to split at this point, however the new growth gets kinda crowded and gnarly. This may buy us a few more years, but I know it will have to go eventually.

Sallyg~ I can't help chuckling over the Ground 0 tree... Reminds me of some of my plant saving antics. We can learn from this... If a tree survived G-0 it just might be INVASIVE!!! . Yo!

:-Deb

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8815964

Funny when you put it that way Deb!

I can't tell you how many split pear trees I've seen personally. Partly because so many were planted- but still, every big storm you can find them with BIG split chunks. In fairness,, they are often planted where the split does minor damage. As long as you are not walking or parked unerneath one when it happens, its usually falling on lawn. Its not as huge a tree as the oaks and maples etc that break in storms and fall on structures.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
reminds me of the Norway Maple! carrielamont 4 Feb 27, 2008 8:03 PM
Great Article! JanetS 2 Oct 15, 2007 2:41 AM
New Start LouC 15 Sep 18, 2010 7:37 PM
Super informative - thanks! Dea 7 Oct 17, 2007 1:40 PM
trinity pear cathy4 1 Oct 14, 2007 6:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America