Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Identification: little flock of birds

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8811066

early this morning i saw a flock of tiny birds, finch size but all gray, all over my squash plants, on top of the leaves, hanging upside on the leaves, eating something but i couldnt see what when i looked at the leaves. thought maybe they might be drinking water since i had accidently splashed water over the plants a few minutes ago. could not move to get a picture. is this maybe why i have no insects on my squash? so fascinating, wish i knew more. am going out to get a bird id book now. could they be eating little tiny pieces of the leaves? i do have several bird waterers and bird seed scattered outside the garden. not even sure what i am asking, just curious as to what they might have been eating. the more i plant the more birds come around and i could watch them for hours. wish i had a camera with a good telephoto lens.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 16, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8811309

Hi risingcreek, Could they possibly have been Bushtits?

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bushtit/id
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8811427

that is it. even the sound is the same. thank you so much

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8811547

Eating insects.

Resin
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8812091

eating insects is great ! i only use the soapy water routine for insect control, if i see any, so i hope the little birds thrive and multiply.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America