Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

The Halloween Hop Swap! *Show us your treats!*

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Welcome to the Halloween hop swap reveal page! Share your tricks and treats here!
Lets keep each other updated with all our spooktacular decorating and fall festivities!
Happy haunting swappers!

We came from beyond the grave... And this thread here... :)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1204869/

Spooky swappers:
1) outlawheart81- sent
2) Poisondartfrog- sent
3) Deejay9- sent- received
4) jab91864- sent- received
5) Crit- received
6) happgarden- sent- received
7) tater55- received -sent
8) irisluvr0252- sent- received
9) candles4u-received
10) lizrainey- sent- received
11) flowerchik1-
12) schez- received
13) Crissyr- sent

This message was edited Oct 3, 2011 9:33 PM

This message was edited Oct 7, 2011 7:16 PM

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok! I've never been good with awkward silences.... ;)

so in the meantime lets play a little game to pass the time till the trick or treaters knock, and it will help us "break the ice" and get to know each other better.

Here's how it will work...(provided it works...)
I'll start here by asking a question
(example: What's the last movie you saw, in theater or at home?)
I'll answer the question myself.
(example: Rocky Horror Picture Show)
Then the next person to reply should quote the question (in case of cross posting)
& answer it.
(example: The Last house on the left)
Then they will post a new question for the next swapper to answer

so does everyone get it?! Good idea? Lol if not just tell me to be patient. If you like it answer the movie question above! ( yes, those are my actual answers!!!) I'm so ready for Halloween!!! :-D

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Let's see if I do this correctly.

What was the last movie I saw, at home or in the Theatre?
'Green Lantern'

New question:
What book are you reading/have you read most recently?

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Woohooooooooooo, got my partners name! Let the shopping begin! OL, could you possibly post the participants name on your first post and what kind of things they like? Spooky, scarey, mild, etc. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe people could post what they would like to have also.
in
Here is me: Scarey but not gorey. Home made treats. Crafty type decorations, home made or bought, nice or scarey. Outside decorations for the yard. Halloween/harvest time inside decorations. Candles with the fall scents. No cinnamin (that doesn't looke right but I think you know what I mean). Pumpkin scent, falls scents, etc. Will edit if I think of something else.

What book are you reading/have you read most recently?

Don't read alot so the last book would be my Bible.

New question:

What is your favorite plant in your yard or house?

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

What is your favorite plant in your yard or house?
I would have to say it is my BRUGS at this Point ? LOVE UM

Question : How aften Do you Play in your Garden :)))) ?????

Good morning all. Been quiet around DH since I signed off last.

We got 1 1/4" of rain last night. YEA! Along with it was a lot of lightening show. DH and I sat outside and watched it for a while. Was so nice outside. We are really needing the rain. Last I saw we were 8+" behind for the year. Maybe we can get a little grass growing for the critters. Temps are going to be in the 80's for the next week.

Question : How often Do you Play in your Garden :)))) ?????

I usually do 'something' in my garden DAILY! I always at least go out and walk around surveying to see what might need something.

Question: Do you have any hobbies besides gardening/plants?

hayward, CA

we got warm weather too ahhh
i like everything scary to cute

question: do you have any hobbies besides gardening/plants?

i love to go to the beach and collect shells and drift wood sit a spell and decompress listening to the waves crashing onto shore very relaxing.

question: what kind of area or scenery do you like to sit and unwind to?

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 7:52 PM

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Afternoon everyone! Still waiting to see if my buddy likes spooky or comical decorations? It would be niocew if everyone post what they perfer, so we don't send the wrong items.
I like things for indoors, as we don't have any trick or treaters here, so I don't decorate the yard.

question: what kind of area or scenery do you like to sit and unwind to?

Love to go for drives in a very dense forest, no noises from all the cars and city life! Watch the wildlife.

Question:
What type of flower would you like to grow, if you had the perfect weather for it?

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I like spooky or scarey or harvest themed things, inside or outside. I am not a "cutsey" kind of person. Plants with names/colors that fit the season are great.

What kind of flower would I grow if I had the perfect weather for it? I would love to be able to grow Heliconias outside.

What is your favorite color palette in the garden?

Alana

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

HI Everyone!!! I got my partner and I just want to say to whoever got me, ANYTHING GOES!!! Cute, scary, gory, food, candles, whatever!! I do seem to like toads and witches.

Question:
What type of flower would you like to grow, if you had the perfect weather for it?

I would grow those gorgeous Hawaiian flowers with the separate pedals and come in blues, pinks, purples, yellows, you know the ones, the kind they put in lei's

Question:
What is your favorite vegetable to grow yourself?

I love homegrown tomatoes! And sweet corn, the yellow and white kind. I use to grow Peaches and Cream and it was wonderful! I don't grow corn anymore as I am on city water and it takes a lot of water, but tomatoes are GREAT!

I posted my likes and dislikes in a post above a little way.

I will take this question as it hasn't been answered:

What is your favorite color palette in the garden?

I like COLOR! Lots and lots of color! I am not especially fond of white flowers, but do throw in a few here and there for contrast, or if they smell really good. (tuberose, gardenia, brug, honeysuckle, etc.) I run the whole color pallet. Especially like red and purple flowers, and unusual ones.

OK, let me think, I need to put out another question. Hmmmmmm

Question: You have won a backyard makeover, money is no object. What would you do? ex:plants, buildings, decoration, pool, koi pond, etc.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 5:25 PM

Question: You have won a backyard makeover, money is no object. What would you do? ex:plants, buildings, decoration, pool, coy pond, etc.

OH BOY I WON Wow I Would love a SOLARIUM Where I could let my Birds fly loose Amongst the Trees & Plants with a Water falls .

QUESTION : If you could Build anywhere In the USA Where would it be .
MICHIGAN HERE :)

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, just got back from a weekend motorcycle ride, so I'm whipped. Sad to see the weather turning cold, lost all my tomato and pepper plants to hard freeze =0(

Question: You have won a backyard makeover, money is no object. What would you do? ex:plants, buildings, decoration, pool, coy pond, etc.
1. privacy fence
2. koi pond w/waterfall
3. I've been wanting to put a stone path in along my yard
4. A greenhouse if I had the room...lol

Ok, so I guess its my turn for a question.... hhhhmmmm
What is your someday dream vacation ?? (Mine I want to do an Alaska cruise)

~ Julie

Likes / Dislikes.

I like spooky or scarey not into gorey. I do like the harvest theme too. Honestly I spend more $$ on stuff to go in the garden/yard than I do inside the house. Stuff like chimes, solar lights, little statues so I guess that makes me an outdoor decorator more or less...lol. (I just got an awesome greenman as a gift for my birthday)
Plants/seeds are great... I lean toward bright colors or something that pops out and gets noticed. No food allergies. I like candles etc.

To be honest it would be hard to disappoint me so whoever has my name, just have fun, it's all good =0)

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 9:10 PM

Ok, I will try again

Question was QUESTION : If you could Build anywhere In the USA Where would it be .
I think I'd stay in Northern Michigan, 80 acres wooded with a pond sounds great.

And I'm going to use my question earlier since nobody saw it yet...lol
What is your someday dream vacation ?? (Mine I want to do an Alaska cruise)

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

What is your someday dream vacation?
To ride cross country to sturgis. Maybe not even during the rally, mostly just interested in the scenery. :)

If you could go to college right now, all expenses paid, where would you go? What would you study?

I'd go to Syracuse University and major in geology.

hayward, CA

my box went out today!
if i hadnt mailed it, it would of got bigger
and swap partner remember i shop all year long for this swap
looks like its out of control but actually its not lol.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Yay!!!! Can't wait to see the goodies!!!! :)

You are quick Liz. Hope to get mine out by next week.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Same here! I have goodies to bake and some special treats to find. :)

Sioux Falls, SD

I'm going to answer the last asked question, "If you could go to college right now, all expenses paid, where would you go? What would you study?" I'm cheating, because I'm in college right now (NOT all expenses paid!). I'm currently studying for a dual major in both history and psychology, but if I could go anywhere and money wasn't an issue, I'd be studying depth psychology and mythology at Pacifica University on the coast of California. :)

Question:
What's the single most expensive item you've ever bought for your garden?

I'm in Halloween heaven right now. All the stores in town have their stuff out, so I'll be doing my shopping at the end of the month when I get paid and loading up (my apologies to my swapping partner for the wait!). I look at all the spooky/gothic looking stuff and just drool.

I'm nursing a candy corn plant back to health, and I'm hoping that it will have little flowers out by Halloween. Instant, free decoration! :)

I've never seen a candy corn plant. That sounds interesting. I had a red and yellow shrimp plant that I loved, but the yellow one grew and bloomed so good, then suddenly died! Strangest thing. I also have a tutti-fruity that Fruity send me. It is blooming and growing well. She sends the neatest plants!!!!!

Question:
What's the single most expensive item you've ever bought for your garden?

I've not spent a lot on stuff for my garden. Right now I would have to say a 4 1/2' tall 3 tier fountain. It is really big and really pretty. Adds a lovely touch and has a soothing sound.

?: I mentioned my big fountain above. I have 5 fountains around my yard.

Do you have fountains in your yard and if so how many?

I have never heard of a candy corn plant either. I had to google it. It is a firecracker plant. So pretty!

Thumbnail by taters55
Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

I love that!!!! So cute!!! :) wonder if it's hardy here? Or at my partners house? ;)

Do you have any fountains? How many?

Sadly no. :( but Somedays the culvert pipe seems like one. Lol i do hope to have a pond someday though. With a nice fountain. Maybe some kind of copper leaves that pour water down or something. Though.... If i ever get rich and have a mansion it'll be a 20 foot marble monster of a thing! With cherubs, pans, angels...the whole 9!

If you could hybridize a plant and name it what type would it be and what would you name it? Why, if there is a story to the name?

I would have to say a Hydrangea. It would be the first ever in all season shades of brown! Yes, brown!!! Going from a deep antique white to a khaki, to a deep redish brown.... If there is such a Hydrangea please tell me, i need it! But if there isn't and i created one i would name it 'crackerjack' after my coon hound. She was a red tick. And the colors would be like her coat was, plus wouldn't a more earthy shade like that look great next to an old rusty truck, or log cabin, or with pale pink roses? I think so. Lol

LK.... that DOES look like candy corn. How cool. Do you have it planted outside or do you have to take it in during winter? You are waaaaaay south of me. Did you get it as a plant or start from seed?

Great idea's there OL.

Since you didn't post a question, I will post another one. lol

Question: What would your fantasy flower bed look like and what flowers/colors would you have in it?

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

(question) If you could hybridize a plant and name it what type would it be and what would you name it? Why, if there is a story to the name?

(my answer)
I would have to say a Hydrangea. It would be the first ever in all season shades of brown! Yes, brown!!! Going from a deep antique white to a khaki, to a deep redish brown.... If there is such a Hydrangea please tell me, i need it! But if there isn't and i created one i would name it 'crackerjack' after my coon hound. She was a red tick. And the colors would be like her coat was, plus wouldn't a more earthy shade like that look great next to an old rusty truck, or log cabin, or with pale pink roses? I think so. Lol[/quote]

Sorry Crit, here is my question. Lol
i think my dream garden is nearly all green just loads of hostas and ferns and hydrangeas, with a climbing rose for some color. And a lilac for scent! :)

Guyton, GA(Zone 8b)

My cigar plant kinda looks like the candy corn plant. The firecracker plant that I saw at the nursery had grass like foliage. My cigar plant has regular leaves. Oh yeah I like fairly mild Halloween or harvest decor, nothing too spooky for me. I love to eat sweets and have no allergies.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

I definitely need to work on updating the top list tomorrow. Lol I'll try to sort through everyone's posts, in this, and the previous thread and find hints to add next to the names. Lol oh boy, i'm in over my head. Lol

i Googled candy corn flower and look what i found!!! Purdy!!!!

Sioux Falls, SD

I brought my candy corn plant in two weeks ago. Poor thing would never make it through a South Dakota winter.

It was abused by some squirrels, so it's got half the foliage it did in the pic, but it's taking well to the indoors (now the cats nibble on it). I have it in a window next to my Milk Tree and my Star Jasmine, and I have to remind it constantly (by rewrapping its little shoots around its tomoto cage), that it is not allowed to hook up with the other plants. :)

This is what it looks like:

This message was edited Sep 21, 2011 2:45 AM

Thumbnail by Schez
Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Wish i had more room for houseplants. I'd love one of those, and a gardenia. They smell SOOOOO amazing.

That is a plant I found on Google, I don't have one! I had a regular cigar plant and the hummers love it, but it did not make it through the heat this summer.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Ok.....I think we are a question short.....rofl.
Glad I didn't have to answer the most expensive thing in the garden that could be used as black mail! rofl.

I am a mild sweet halloween (let me rephrase that I am not mild nor sweet) but I like mild happy silly halloween... ;)

Question:
What is the tactiest thing you have in your garden? Be hones...rofl.

A metal road runner! My Dad wanted it, so here it sits.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Hmm... Tacky? I prefer to say kistchy... Lol
:D
btw... The red and blue, not my idea! i just live in it, live with it...

I like the Harley sign, I looked at one last week and thought how cute....LMAO

Ok, question.... what was your biggest gardening flop this year ?

For me it was a draw between the eggplant and the corn. The corn fell over because it was tunneled under by some critter then it got sickly after we tried to prop it back up...aphids. Second would be the eggplant which I started from seed but just would not take off, it was stunted once it went to the coldframe and sat in the same stage/size pretty much the entire season only to die in the freeze last week....

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Glad I don't have to live on the food I grow because the only thing I grew were tomatoes, got them in late, summer was horrible, and just now starting to produce and we are below normal temps!

What is your favortie gardening tool?

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

My favorite garden tool is probably the hose. i love watering. Very relaxing. Not a fan of weeding but i use a little claw cultivator a lot.

If you could only have one plant what would it be?

I would have my cactus which is a baby from the one my grandfather brought back from Texas during ww2

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011 9:23 AM

You need more cactus? We have lots of prickly pear here!

If you could only have one plant what would it be?

I WOULD LOVE A TRUE HARDY ZONE 5 ORANGE ROSE BUSH OR CLIMBER There is one they say is called VOODOO
But Have never found it yet .

WHAT ROOM IN YOUR HOME MAKES YOU THE HAPPEST???
Guess MINE IS My PLANT ROOM :)))) Just had to share :) HEHE

Thumbnail by deejay9

My favorite room is my back porch. Love to sit and watch the hummers.

Question... Have you been to any other countries? I spent 6 months in Belgium and loved every minute of it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.