Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Aroids: Amorphophallus bulb question

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 16, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8811730

I dug up about 5 of my amorph bulbs 2 days ago because I had them "planted" in a huge mound of dirt and bark/sawdust where we had a 5 foot diamter stump grubbed out. Just stuck a few bulbs in there this spring. Well, a few of them had the foliage die back in the last couple weeks, and I figured I'd better grub them out of there before I couldn't find where they were in that mound. Now, should I put the bulbs in some peat moss over winter? Or plant them in pots and stick the pots somewhere for the winter and just check so they don't dry out totally?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 17, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8811999

No need to cover them with anything! Just dry the corms and sit them on a shelf until late winter/early spring. You'll know when they start to wake up again! That's the beauty of Amorphs!
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 17, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8812071

Thanks, I was hoping I could do that. I'll find a dark spot for them up in the g'house.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 17, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8812532

Some amorph species shouldn't be allowed to dry out, they need to be kept damp (but not usually wet) during dormancy otherwise they will completely dry out and die. The majority of commonly grown species are better dried right out, if damp during dornmancy they will rot.

It gets back to the climate they come from. Many of them are from a winter dry season climate where they die back and the ground becomes completely dry. Some are from a 2 monsoon climate where the ground never dries out. Without some moisture their tubers would shrivel up. Do you know which species you have?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America