Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Clean and Clutter-free: Daily chuck-le # 7

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 241, Views: 1,458
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 16, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8811810

It doesn't matter how big or how small, if you've chucked anything for recycling, into the rubbish bin or have donated or sold anything cluttering up your life, tell us about it here.

Here's a link to the previous thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152845/#new

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8812489

I've been quite busy clearing out stuff. I no longer have "junk". It's all gone. I do have some good quality items and scrapbooking supplies that I'm selling in a flea market booth. This week, I sold $100 worth of stuff and traded $200 worth of stuff for labor I needed for some projects I needed done.

I also donated a bunch of odds and ends to a friend who had a yard sale to make money for her son's band trip next year.

I'm also donating some new Christmas ornaments and decor and some new scrapbooking supplies to our charity auction. I'll prepare two big baskets--one with the Christmas stuff and one with the scrapping stuff. Each basket will be auctioned off, along with all the other donations, to earn money for medicine assistance and cancer support programs.

I also managed to dump some small storage containers I'd been holding onto and never used. Sent them to recycle.

Now I have to figure out what to do with my old flat panel computer monitor that won't work. I might see if a friend who repairs things can use it for parts on Mon.

I've been doing pretty good at keeping things under control. I'm really liking not having so much stuff. Cleaning is a lot easier now, so I can clean more often--CAN, but probably WON'T. LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 18, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8813228

Thanks for the thread Margaret. This is a really fun thread. I am often laughing when I read one liners that folks write. Haven't done much in the area of chucking myself this past week but am really happy to report that younger son recently purchased a car and he spent several hours last evening cleaning it out from the errant previous owner who must have thought he was farming in the car. John told me there was duck feed bags and duck decoys...his estimation was the previous owner was a hunter. Seems as if he would have wanted these things before passing the vehicle along though. Who knows...maybe he considered it his chuck for the week. hahaha

Coleup...loved your thoughts on exerting physical energy. Yep, all the ways you mentioned are a good way to rid our bodies of pent up stress. All you gals are tops in my book and I appreciate hearing about how you are dealing with bothersome issues in your lives.

Have a great week coming up everyone.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 19, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8814826

Today is the day...today is the day...today is the day...the last items needing to be chucked from my plant room summer project will be leaving and the plants will begin coming back inside. I set up a new shelving unit yesterday afternoon and it is ready to begin serving as a home to some of my over two hundred houseplants. That is going to be a lot of trips in and out the door the next few days.

Happy chucking all.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8815745

Oh, lovely uncluttered thread...thanks, Margaret!

Had some spare time today. Spent it cleaning a table in the carport piled high with stuff that is going bye-bye. Baseball caps, kitchen clutter, etc., etc. Some plastic packaging went in the recycle, but that was all.

We are replacing the roof on our greenhouse and I am monitoring myself very carefully so I don't end up saving any of the old materials. This will be a big breakthrough for me if I can recycle it all.

Keep on chucking everyone!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8827535

Boy ,I was gone for 3 weeks and WOW...LOL..Great work everyone..no matter how small the chuck...ive started another GW bag,put 6 sleeveless tshirts in it,dh says they make him feel creepy,...LOL..I think he still looks good in them,but no mattter,off they go..wanting to get the Camperette cleaned and packed for storage,has been raining everyday since we returned home a weekago today..Its a popup so it needs to dry before we fold it back up,at least all the salt and sand have been washed off by the rain ,I still need to scrub the vinal tho.Trying to catch up on Daves and ATP...Ha...have a great day all
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 4, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8835708

Hi Everyone - I too have been missing in action for about three weeks too. Was still at home mainly, but life became so busy that I didn't have the time to access Dave's which is one of my very favorite websites. I am hoping that with the cooler temperatures a slower pace of living will accompany it.

I have taken the first step necessary in order to chuck two large bags full and a medium sized cardboard box of old papers dating back to the 1920's. WOW!!! The papers were found last winter when I was doing a major de-cluttering of my home and storage shed. These are business papers that belonged to my grand father and somehow evidently my folks ended up with them and held on to them all through their lives and they somehow got transferred to my place unbeknownst to me until recently.

The papers are mainly bank records and lumber business transactions from the twenties through the forties. There are also mixed within the papers personal correspondence and greeting cards that my grand mother and grand dad kept. When first finding them I was rushed and didn't really have time to go through everything but on occasion I would stop and read a letter written from either my dad or his siblings to their parents. How very interesting to hear of the day to day details of folks living back before many of the modern conveniences that we all take for granted.

The papers are out of the closet where they have spent the last several months and they are ready for me to begin going through and sorting and getting things together to share with my cousins at a Family Reunion on October 15. I will keep the ones that interest me the most. I was named after my grand mother so I will keep most of the personal things addressed to her.

I have been truly amazed at the excellent condition of the papers. Some are coming upon being one hundred years old. Amazing.

Anyway...that will be the extend of my chucking for some time to come. I will check in and report when they have all found new homes.

Ruby

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 4, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8836173

Ruby, that's amazing finding those old letters and documents. Maybe consider taking photos of the most interesting ones and storing them electronically before passing them on or discarding them. It must be like having a glimpse into an alien world.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8837966

Wow cool to read that kind of family history, ..Definitly interesting.

OK Ive been good I deleted and moved a ton of photos and defragged my PC,also Ive made Folders to drop photos into instead of just dumping and running...LOL

Got the popup all cleaned and ready for storage.also washed 1000 miles of road grime off my truck

Helped my Neibor haul out 2 huge pieces of carpet right into my truck then it will go in my Bathroom...Yaya.free carpet ...My linolium in my bath is sooo dated,im wanting to (needing to repaint) but i was dragging my feet ...the floor is hunter green with white grout lines sooo dictating...Im Happy and my neibor is happy,Yes Brand new Berber.NUETRAL Colors.YAYA
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 8, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8840750

Margaret, thank you for mentioning making copies. I hadn't thought about it, but there are documents I feel I should pass on to cousins, but I too find them fascinating, so making a copy for myself is just as good. Thanks for the idea.

Huggergirl...wow, busy as a bee. I love freebies. Share some pictures if you can after the carpeting is installed. We love pictures you know. Well,, you are way ahead of me in terms of organizing photos. For two winters one of the projects I had hoped to do was to create different files for the photos and I haven't yet gotten to it. This will be winter number three and hopefully I will be able to start doing what I have been hoping to do before now.

I also want to start a record of my elephant collection. I have many, many and want to number and describe them and list where they came from and who they came from and if the price is known, I want to record that also. At the moment they are all packed away in storage waiting for me to have the time to begin this project before displaying them again. This project along with sorting and organizing the photos are going to be major undertakings, so I am not really too anxious to do either of them yet. Hopefully some lazy winter afternoons will work to allow me to at least get started.

Anyway...good going hugger...you done good.

Ruby
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 8, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8841313

Well our weather has cooled down to mid 80s so I have been working on rehabbing the flower and vegetable gardens for next spring.

Last week I had a helper two days because of the rain. He works for the HOA landscape company and they were not working. Our area was clear so he worked for me. Helped both of us. Then he worked 8 hours today so I am getting a lot done.

I have developed sever congestive heart failure. I went to the hospital end of August by ambulance because I could not breathe. My lungs were full of fluid. 2007 my heart was great, 2011 current problem. They are narrowing in on a virus problem..They have ruled out everything else. Thank the Lord, my heart is in bad shape and I feel great. My cholesterol is good and my arteries are clear.

One thing new is when I get tired, I quit. I did some work today, like moving plants, but my worker did the majority. My main problem in my landscape is tree roots. I found more today and he dug them up.

We lost our female Schnauzer two weeks ago Sunday. She was 12, and she had been ill. Now our cat has been missing for 5 days. She is 18 but still very active. She goes in and out the doggy door. A neighbor stopped by this morning and said we had coyotes in the neighborhood last week.

Then this morning my DH fell going upstairs this morning. I was walking the male schnauzer and when we came back, my DH was just getting up on the landing midway up. He really hit. Skinned up his head, shoulder, arm and hand. And he does not remember what happened.

I did clean out the bookshelves in the great room the day before Labor Day. They were having a sale for my niece's daughter's school for a trip to Washington DC. I got rid of all but about 10 books. Probably got rid of over 50.

So that is my story and I am sticking to it. Hugs to all of you and be happy, healthy and safe. Sharon
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 8, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8841330

Sharon, that's terrible. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog and the missing cat and your poor husband's injuries. Falls are scarey things, even if no injury results. It erodes your confidence. Hugs.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8841632

OMG,what a bad week..sending hugs take care..

Ruby sounds like great cold weather projects,Id like to do that some day mark all my Collectible pieces.LOL...we will see..

im getting rid of a stack of magazines and a stack of books,going to go through a few more books,an off they go...with the Bag of clothes,and a comforter set.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 9, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8842103

Dear, dear Sharon - I am really happy to hear from you but good grief, what a lot of sadness and dangerous sounding things are going on at your place. So sorry about the dog and possibly the cat now. So, so sorry. We had to put down one of our pet goats a few weeks ago too because he had injured himself someway and was basically paralyzed in the back legs. It is so sad when we lose animals that we love.

Really scary about Vern's fall too. Poor guy. I know that his worsening condition is worrisome for you. I hope this was a fluke and won't happen again any time soon. Yes indeed, you hit the nail on the head about falling and losing confidence in oneself. John begged me for quite a while before I relented and began using a walking cane when I leave the house or go in the yard. I almost fall a lot. I am usually able to catch my balance before going down, but I have gone down on several occasions.

I am so glad that you can report that you feel as well as you do. That is a blessing. I can tell that it is nothing worse than having a mind that has desires and body that won't cooperate. Stinks, big time. I am very happy to hear the report that you are learning to slow down a bit and not run around like the house is on fire. I am preaching to myself as I write this too. I have been feeling overwhelmed by to-do lists for some time now and not making a lot of progress. I need to remember as you do too, that we are no longer spring chickens and now we both have health issues that will demand we treat our bodies better that we were able to get away with for many years. In your case, it doesn't hurt to have a son who is a doctor. hahaha I am sure he does a bit of preaching to you too.

Anyway...you made my day by writing. I miss talking with you but I have been ultra, ultra busy for about a month now and haven't had computer time like I used to have it seems. I have a lot of watched threads that I haven't accessed for weeks now. I will get around to them in all good time though.

Margaret and Hugger, always good to hear from you two also. Here is hoping that all reading will have a good week coming up. Take care and be well all.

Ruby

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8855475

After a very chaotic summer I have finally gotten back to clearing out closets. I filled two trash bags with jeans and shorts I finally admit I will never fit into again! lol

I also shredded a lot of paperwork that is no longer needed. Lots more of that to go!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 19, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8856480

I did the same thing with some clothes. I determined if I fit back into the clothes, the only way would be if I was very ill. I will take the few extra pounds. Sharon
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8857841

Boy I know that feeling too ...too Tight ...LOL...i took the books now the bag today. Been busy playing puppy mom,2 puppies = 2 little Indians...LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 21, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8857915

Good going ladies. I am in the process of sorting papers, some dating back almost one hundred years to divide with my family members. When I finally sat down to start working with them on Monday, I realized that it will be a much large project than I originally thought it might be. I am having to hand each and every piece in order to see which family member the document should go to.

This will be my chuck for some time to come.

Hope that everyone will have an enjoyable weekend.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8862897

Good morning Ruby, and Happy Birthday!

No chucking required today, just pleasant enjoyment of all you have accomplished!

Thumbnail by coleup

lizardbreath
Boise City, OK
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8863727

Rubyw, while going through mom's belongings we came across an envelope from China dating 1933. She had a penpal who had written a lovely letter and enclosed a water color drawing of an old farmer. I found some oriental fabric of the same color scheme and used that as a background and framed the letter, drawing and envelope behind glass in an old oblong frame so others could enjoy them without handling the fragile papers.
It might be fun to display some of the lumberyard papers with small tools or tape measures or the banking papers in the office area. I know we can't keep everything or there is too much clutter but I like to find a new home for old family things.
Tamara

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8863977

Good ideas, Lizardbreath. I just had to key that moniker, Tamara. :-)

Sharon, I hope you have had a fabulous week to make up for the terrible one. Hang in there!
Hugger, you sound like you are having so much fun with your chores. Kiss those pups for me!

I have cut a pile of unsightly, rotting lumber into firewood.
I donated the pages of my food log and 2009 bank statements to the firestarter box.
I went from summer clothes to winter and got rid of some items. Hooray!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8864362

Got rid of lot of planters and small plastic plant pots I didn't really need. I had saved way more than I ever will use!
lizardbreath
Boise City, OK
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8864834

We are getting our first snow this evening so now I can get rid of lots of pots and planters too. The garden is officially over for this year. I don't have to try to save it for just one more day to try to harvest just one more "something". I am not covering anything this season.
Grandbabies coming this weekend so I just don't feel the need to cover and save anything. I am more than ready to be finished with this garden. The drought and heat this year made it almost more than I wanted to do. I think the girls will enjoy getting out and helping me "chuck" all the dead plants and clean the beds. They are still little enough they want to help.
Maybe I can get the big kids to help organize the seeds so we can get rid of another whole pile of gardening necessities cluttering my house.

Huckleberry6, my husband came up with the nickname for Elizabeth!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8865317

Love it! Maybe I will try it on my sister, instead of "el".

Two weeks ago, I gathered a box full of Halloween & Autumn stuff to take to my consignment lady. I was just going to give it to her as it didn't amount to much. She did not want it at all. It sat in my trunk since then. Today I took it to a new second-hand store (not an oxymoron) and she gave me $6.00 cash on the spot!!! I nearly ran out of the shop in case she changed her mind. Whoo Hoo!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8865702

That sounds like a win/win!!
lizardbreath
Boise City, OK
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8866195

Today I kept the house warm and got rid of quite a few green tomatoes, peppers, onions and cukes by pickling them. My husband is more than ready to be able to see our kitchen counters again. He will appreciate all this food in the winter but lately the garden has just been a mess maker as far as he is concerned.
My youngest (teen) took several bags of clothes to thrift store and found out how much room there is in a closet floor when things that are outgrown are gone!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8869158

Great going everyone. Good to see that chucking is still alive and well and much needed by so many of us. I too love the idea of framing something along the lines of the way you did the Chinese memorbilia. How cool...I love oriental.

How cute about the nickname. Too cute!!!

Oh my gosh ladies...the clock on the wall is reading almost 1 PM. I slept until almost 11 AM, so I am really getting a very late start today. Yesterday I suppose what I did can be considered my chucking for the day. Even though I have a to do list that is full, I got side tracked which seems to be par for the course and ended up working with houseplants. I have been trying to do better with the maintenance and have decided to try to supply the plants I have living in water with fresher water more often than I have been known to do in the past. I much prefer looking at clean water versus scuzzy water. I spent the majority of the afternoon cleaning the plants and ridding the vases of dead leaves and too long roots if needed. Even after sending hubby to compost with a full bucket of kitchen compost earlier yesterday, I almost filled the small bucket again with plant debris. So, the plant debris will need to count as my chuck for the day.

Just wanted to say that it is good to see some new folks posting. I always like hearing from new to me folks...we have a lot to learn from each other. Enjoy the rest of your day and I hope the upcoming week is good for all.

Ruby

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8869567

Cleaned out the fridge...pitched soy sauce, chutney, sour cream & some lunch meat that was all past its prime!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 31, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8870489

Nanny, great reminder for me. My son has been complaining for weeks about some of the items I have in the top freezer part of refrigerator. Maybe I will surprise him today by chucking some of it.

Ruby

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8871002

My DH is the cook and he buys the stuff he needs but never thinks to clear out stuff once it is no longer good! lol
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 31, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8871391

About once a quarter I stop purchasing meat and plan meals out of the freezer. I keep forgetting I am suppose to use it not just purchase it and freeze it. Sharon
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2011
4:09 AM

Post #8871489

Hey any chuck is a good chuck...LOL...Ive been busy with the new pup,,I had 2 for 12 days my brother and his wife came in from Denver to pick up thier pup,Im glad all I have is 1 now ...Her Name is Curly Sue she is a schnoodle ,she is 4.2 lbs at 10 weeks...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8872469

awwwww...she is ADORABLE!!!!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 1, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8872761

We lost our female Schnauzer a month ago. She was 12. We have two new schnauzer puppies we are picking up the second week of December in San Francisco. Brother and sister.

Our winter is just around the corner. Wind today and ll week so I will be inside more and getting more de-cluttering completed.

I think the first thing I will tackle is the cookbooks. I have given a neighbor a whole bunch or martini glasses and our daughter-in-law a bunch of wine glasses. We do not drink and our entertaining days are behind us. If we do entertain, i is usually children and grandchildren. LOL...

Have a great Wednesday. Sharon.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8872994

Oh so hard to loose a pet ,I too lost a cat in March she was 15. Really was not expecting to end up with a pup.SD has the parents and they are wonderful little dogs,so how could I say no,I couldnt ,told her you better work on your Dad ,cause he told me No...hehehe,she still has her daddy wrapped around her little finger at 40...Yay...Love my SD Brandi.

No chucking here ,just picked up a new house to clean ...umm maybe I should say Log Lodge...11,000 sq. ft...today is day 2 The basement is not finished ...TG...but the main level an 2 BR up...Very Very dusty, all the logs are webby and dusty...wish me luck on getting it caught up today.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 2, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8873930

How many times do you have to clean the log lodge. Is there a special way to clean the logs? How tall up are they? 11,000 sq feet is big.

There are many houses around us in our neighborhood over 9,000 sq. ft. With 11,000 sq ft, how many bathrooms. When you get done you will have to start over. The houses here that are over 9,000 sq. ft., have 9 heating and cooling units. We only have three. You should take before and after photos for the owner.

Makes me tired just thinking about it. LOL.

A home that size usually has a staff. I have a friend that is the manager of the staff of an estate in Boulder, Colorado. In England, they call them the Butler. Sharon
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8874116

Curly Sue is precious, Hugger. You are both lucky to have one another!

Took a car trunk full of clothing, etc. to a consignment shop. She took about half and the rest is piled on the guest bed. Deja vu all over again.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8874255

Sharon ,the basement is not finished,not used. The Main level has a very open floor plan living ,dining,kitchen,2 1/2 baths, master br,2nd level is only 2 large bedrooms , with a Huge spiral staircase 21 steps made out of log slabs ,the center log is humungus,that leads to an open walkway to the brms , kinda like a bridge. There is also a bunk room over the garage ,I dont have to clean that..so all in all it has 4 full baths and 2 1/2 baths. Its a lot of wasted space,its so open . I only dusted the logs as far up as my dust mop would reach 12ft or so. I will be cleaning once a week,now that Ive caught it up,really wont be bad ,now that Ive vacccumed my brains out,it had been left go for quite sometime.. its a real log cabin chinking and all,I cant really describe just how big the logs are,took them 3 years to build.Hauled logs in and cut them there,it was not a kit.. Iam beat...And the pup decided to wake up at 3;30 I fianally got up at 4;30 ,I dont know what her deal was,took her out she pottied an played an then ate,6;30 now she is napping .

Boy I chucked some major dust bunnies...ahhh and the owner is Happy
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 4, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8876078

I too got tired reading about your work Hugger. hahaha Well, like you said, you can now maintain it by visiting weekly and it will be easier work for you. My small bungalo is enough for me to dust, and dusting has to be my most hated chore.

My cleaning lady who just disappeared and I didn't hear from for over two months called last week to wish me a Happy Birthday. She told me she had been ill. She had some benign skin cancers removed from her face and has had thyroid issues. I have been doing what I can to keep up with things here, but two months later, I was really beginning to miss the very thorough job she does for me. I will try contacting her this weekend and if she is feeling better I will see about having her come in and catch things up here too.

The only clutter job hanging over my head is the ancient family papers I started on a couple of weeks ago. After several hours and very little progress being made, I packed them up to tackle at another time. Haven't yet found the time to get back to them, it is very tedious work having to go through every single piece deciding which family to send them to. Anyway...looks as though that will be a drawn out process for me, like so many of my projects are.

So good to see the activity on here this week. Yep, cool weather has a way of having us stay indoors more and seeing the clutter we need to deal with. It is much easier to put it off during warm months when we would all rather be outside gardening. I think I mentioned somewhere on one of the threads that I needed to clean the top of refrigerator out of frozen items we won't use. Haven't done it yet, but am going to write it on my to do list for the weekend. Hopefully I can have a chucking report for you ladies soon.

Have a great weekend all.

Ruby

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8876445

I really need to defrost our chest freezer out in the garage but keep putting it off...my bad! lol
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 4, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8876731

I took another box of this and that to the animal rescue op-shop yesterday. It's funny, I'm now actively looking for things to chuck.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 4, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8876851

Well I have a procrastination list in the back of my head. Nothing to do with chucking but things that need to be done.

I changed my main bank about a year ago. But have kept some automatic deposits and payments with the old bank. I finally have the majority of the letters I need to chancel deposits and withdrawals and change them to the new bank.

The account finally got low enough in funds they started charging me $25 a month fee. So that has got me motivated.

Also own a property in Sun City, Las Vegas that has the plumbing pipes that have to be replaced. Lawsuit proceeds pay for the re-piping. It is finally in the works.

So nothing has left the house but the back of my mind is clearer...Sharon
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 5, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8877504

You folks are all so cute. Love to hear what goes through each persons mind as they read and comment on the previous post. Margaret, that is what I found last winter while doing what I considered to be a major de-clutter. I too was more and more motivated with each thing that went out. When I originally began the de-clutter I didn't even think that I would tackle the outside shed too, but I did. While in the mood and had the mojo up, I also went through my jewelry boxes and was able to pawn off over seven hundred dollars worth of gold and silver from basically broken pieces.

I am now in the mind set of hopefully being able to down size my collection of Christmas decorations. I will be looking to you folks for some good cheer leading support as I begin to cut down the number of bins from about 8 to at least half of that. If the truth be told I could probably get by with three or less holding the things that I might actually end up displaying.

Sharon, it feels good to get stressors out of our heads. I have been in a three week long battle with a new health insurance company that promised me the world and upon my first trip to the pharmacy, cost me an arm and a leg. It has been truly irratating as heck and much of it the cause of the back ache I have been suffering with for at least two weeks. Ever hear of a pain in the butt? That has been my experience with this mess. Supposedly as of 6 PM last night all was worked out and corrected according the insurance representative who called me. I was too beat at that point to contact the pharmacy and see if in fact it was correct and will do so on Monday. If I can I am hoping to do what is required to heal this back and stay out of the emergency room for another day or two. Am hoping to be able to see Primary Care doc on Monday instead of having to go to ER. I suppose if tonight is like the previous three in which I would have to label as agonizing, I will suit up and head out to ER tomorrow.

Anyway...enough about me. Hope you get the fridge compartment straightened out Nanny. I believe that may be a chore I can handle today without too much strain on my body. Take care all and I hope I won't have all these complaints the next time we speak.

Ruby
lizardbreath
Boise City, OK
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8878191

I don't understand how I can spend all day "cheerfully" helping friends get ready for an estate sale but can't seem to get the dishes washed at my house. Funny how it is more fun to clean someone else's clutter.
Ruby, there were alot of Christmas decorations someone will be happy to get this time of year. Of course, these were old which brought up lots of memories to tell the teens who were helping us. I guess I just figured out why it is more fun at someone else's house, we don't giggle and visit when we are getting rid of our own things.

Tamara
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 6, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8878780

Hi Tamara - For some years I was convinced that I was unable to tackle any major undertaking alone. I thought I needed another body with me as I worked through projects such as de-cluttering or whatever. At one point my pocketbook was healthier than it is these days and I hired the job out for the most part. Last year with the ailing pocket book, but the clutter becoming an emotional issue for me, I had someone here tell me to pretend as though I had someone in the room along with me as I set forth to tackle my own chores. Dang if it didn't work. I was given instructions to get a chair and set it in the room where I was going to work that day and write this person's name on the chair. I didn't actually end up doing that, but I did start the process knowing that someone was there with me in spirit and cared that I succeed in my long put off de-cluttering job. A great big thank you to Butterfly Chaser for that grand idea. I took it literally and was able to tackle the clutter all by my lonesome.

I also heard BC say that it becomes some sort of personal challenge as we get in to it and that it becomes fun to do. We get the mojo going and we begin looking for new places to clean and straighten. It was a major undertaking for me last year and because it seemed to be something I was really involved in and spoke about a lot, the bug bit others in my family too and they began their own getting rid of things.

By hanging out on the Clean and Clutter Free threads last year and getting the support and pats on the back for my progress from others here, I was able to unload quite a bit of weight that was holding me down. This is not to say that I couldn't probably go through things again and get rid of more, but it won't be nearly as daunting a job as it was at this time last year.

If you are having difficulties getting the mojo going at your place and looking for laughs or something as a motivator, maybe you can think of some reward system that you apply after finishing a section. You might challenge yourself to work an hour and for each hour worked you will allow yourself to watch an hour of sitcoms or an hour online reading jokes or whatever you might find that would motivate you in some way. We have to often trick our minds and reward ourselves. Believe, there will come a point when the actual light feelings you get because the house is lighter and brighter is the reward and an outside influence won't be necessary.

I can remember the difference getting rid of over full closets and things felt. Even though I hadn't changed my decor so much, I got a much airier feeling walking through my home knowing that nooks and crannies weren't bulging with my excesses any longer. I am a long way from being perfect at this, believe me but there are a few areas that are no longer stuffed to the gill.

If you need help getting started with projects at home, let us know, when all united we make a pretty good cheer leading squad. Good luck with it.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 6, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8879588

Ruby, you have an amazing way of putting things.

I've just chucked two belts. Back in the 1970's, these belts fitted me with many holes to spare. They have obviously shrunk over the years, because now they won't go near me - must have been poor quality material.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 6, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8879657

LOL...Sharon
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8881161

wow Tamara,Im a Tamara too aka huggergirl. I understand why we have harder time getting a lot done , Doing Our own stuff. when Im cleaning OP houses Im not answering the phone the DH cant interupt me,im not doing laundry,and Im not stopping by the TV to watch a minute or two,the pup is not bothering me wanting to play... or Cooking.. I get so distracted while trying to Accomplish a lot in a day here at home,I have to keep telling myself stay on Task...when Im at work I dont have those problems...LOL

I have also brought down the Christmas tubs ,After I cleaned the shed,was more rearanging ,I had tossed things in the spring.now the snowblower is ready to go...Acckk..LOL... Hoping to thin out some of the Christmas stuff..Taking it to Goodwill ...before christmas...LOL

I have been putting off cleaning my curio cabinet and the tops of my kitchen cabinets(no soffet) so its full of collectibles and stuff..oH dirty stuff...oh soo dirty...LOL..that will take a whole day,each piece needs washed...Tamara want to come over and cheer me on...LOL

We sold our gold and silver in september,we had a lot of worn out gold,and rings ,silver coins and 1 ounce pieces,it was crazy what they paid us for all of it over $3,000 ... I can tell you what is in my jewlery case now...We were tired of worrying about the Stash of treasures,no lock box for us...And it really wasnt anything all that great that we sold,we kept the good stuff...LOL...And then we spent 2 full weeks on the beach,in the camper and we ate like kings and queens..Was a superb beach vacation...and it didnt deplete the checking account...Yay

and speaking of ,yes we still and always have used Paper checks,no debit cards or the charges that come with them,we pay with cks and cash ,and a charge card or 2. They are telling everyone to go back to using paper cks...is cheaper...Im already there...yay...LOL

goign to get to 70 today whoowhooo and I have that log lodge to clean today...Oh at least it will be nice out.

on a good note we fertilized the yard on sunday and it rained all day monday ,we will be mowing till December if it stays warm like this...LOL.. And The yard looked like it was Dead in september Drought stricken...looks much better now,what a releif, I thought I was going to have to over seed an reseed .

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8883227

Today was trash day...so yesterday I grabbed a large trash bag, went out to the garage and challenged myself to fill the bag. It didn't take long at all and that is one more bag of stuff out of here and a cabinet with more space to store what I need!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8884094

So good to read your posts, everyone.

I bought a box of 3 "deep cleansing pore strips". They have been cluttering the toiletry drawer for 3yrs? I decided to apply one to my nose this morning after my shower. Of course, my neighbor decided to visit as soon as the silly thing was on. I think I will use the remaining 2 strips on my elbows.

Hugger, interruptions are the #1 reason I get so little accomplished. Tonight as I was making dinner, washing dishes and clothes, DH interrupted me because he needed a little piece of scratch paper to write himself a note on. There is paper everywhere. Someday, when he is multitasking, I am going to ask him if there is any scrap paper I can write a little note to myself on. The note will say "Ha Ha!"
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 9, 2011

Post #8884166

Ha ha.
lizardbreath
Boise City, OK
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8889788

Huggergirl, nice to meet another one. I haven't met many.

I found a new way to get rid of my things. Our town is small and not many rent houses available so when son and family have decided to move closer to us they have stayed in our camper for two weeks. Cold weather is soon going to be an issue so we think we will need to clean our garage and let them stay in it until a house is found. I think this could be just the incentive I need to get rid of alot of clutter.

My daughter-in-law is a clean freak so I think she will motivate me to chuck things that I would ordinarily try to keep. Win-win.

Tamara

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8890292

Defrosted the chest freezer today and found about 5 pkgs. of meat waaayy past its prime and I ain't eating it!! SO out it went!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 14, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8890315

Hey, nanny, that reminds me, many years ago, when I was still eating meat and poultry, DH and I were given a frozen turkey. There was only the two of us, so it sat in the freezer and sat in the freezer and then it sat some more. Eventually, SEVEN years later, we decided to cook it regardless. It was absolutely fine. Well, we're still here. Mind you, I did ring the health department to sound it off them first. LOL
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8890332

Margaret, Glad you are still here. Your frozen turkey reminds me of a story I heard as a kid about eskimo people in Siberia retrieving ice age frozen wolly mamoth meat from melting glaciers to supplement their diets. Trick is to exclude air (freezer burn) and maintain deep frozen state. I do try to remind myself that it is just "tradition" to roast a whole turkey and easier to cut in half or parts. Or, if I do roast it all I make up some heat and eat frozen dinners for later and quart containers of soup.

Surprizing that no one has invented a handy dandy way of tracking our food supply and rotating it, or suggesting a meal idea that fits what you have on hand. I'm still much a hunter/gatherer in my kitchen only slightly civilized!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8890927

OH margaret LOL,glad you are still here ,I cant beleive it didnt taste old...LOL..ackkk

Tamara ,You have the right mind set now ,and help. You are going to be soo Happy when you get done...Yay

Nanny 5 pkgs of meat, ouch on the pocketbook. I hate it if something gets pushed back in the freezer and I end up tossing it ,cause I didnt see it through the cluttered stuff.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8902131

This is a timely topic. We adopted two brother kittens this summer. I made them a pot of "baby food"; pureed chicken, carrots and milk. They loved the first 1lb tub, but turned their little noses up at the next tub. I removed the 4 tubs from the freezer and gave them to the neighbor for his 3 dogs. Win-win!

Hope you get a clean garage, Tamara!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 27, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8907544

Isn't that the way it always goes with animals and their food? We have two goats. Now, everyone hears that goats will eat just about anything, but not ours...they are really, really picky eaters. I must say that our two dogs will eat just about anything at all. They are really making out now that eighteen month old grandson Isaac is around because he is a real sharer and the dogs know it. They follow him around whenever he has food and sit at the table beside him on the floor waiting when he has a meal.

I used to be able to eat popsicles in peace until a piece fell off of one and the dog tasted it. I can no longer have a whole popsicle to myself but have to share because they now know that it is something they truly love. Oh well, it could be worse I suppose.

Thanks for writing Huck. Leter today my hubby is supposed to go to the attic and start bringing down the Christmas bins for me to go through. Last year I didn't get rid of much and have promised myself to do better at chucking the decor this year. Wish me luck.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8908498

Good Luck!

I donated 8 pairs of jeans to the SPCA thrift store. Patting myself on the back here. =^..^=
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 28, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8908805

You should Huck!!!

Ruby

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8908897

After moving here almost 5 years ago...finally got DH to go thru an unpacked box of his...and it was all trash except for 3 items!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8908950

Dear patient Nanny...well done!

Realizing that I didn't have any "treasures" when I packed things away (out of sight, out of mind) made me realize that I wouldn't find any "treasures" when I finally sorted through.

If some one told me they had snuck into my home and placed a thousand dollars cash in one of my storage bins/boxes would it motivate me to go through them?

An old joke from 1923 or so:

A man walks into his doctor and says that he is having trouble hearing. The Doctor examines him and explains that there is a dime stuck in the man's ear.

"How long has this been in here?" asks the Doc.

"Oh, about two years now," the man replies.

The Doctor, now frowning at the man says. " Why in the world didn't you have this taken out sooner!"

"Because I didn't need the money til now", answers the man.

May all of our chuckings become more timely with each passing day.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8909993

I cleaned out the curio cabinet..Yay..Took A bunch of things to the Antique Mall ,my friend has a booth there . Also took a Tapsestry Loveseat and a box full of sellables got them cleaned up had a bunch of silver plated serving trays ,covered butterdish,OH OH and the Old Old dinning room table we had stashed in the shed ,its cleaned up and all decorated for Christmas at the mall,Im soo happy soo lucky that my friend has a booth ..has worked out in my favor, I have another basket full ready to take there today..Yaya.. and I also gave my grandchildren a pile of christmas ornaments,and a few cherished teddies...I have a big bunch of those,I have to keep the rest...i just love them..???? Although i did make a spot for them in the curio now so they will be displayed till after the newyear.. Gosh I didnt realize what I had moved out the door untill I started typing...Whoop Whoop...LOL

Better yet when I un packed my Christmas tubs I quickly realized how much Christmas stuff I have already gotten rid of ..i was kind of shocked thinking boy I dont have enought to decorate a little ..I did...I have 1 lg tub of christmas decorations,1 lg tub of fall and winter greenery...Yay Me..

Thumbnail by huggergirl

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 29, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8910014

Wow Hugger!!!! Good going. You are really on the ball with this. I love the photo of the decorated for the holidays curio cabinet. Really pretty. I hope that the items at the Antique's Mall will sell well and you will have even more to feel proud about.

Nanny, that is the way things seem to go often times. All the time those things were sitting there taking up space and then not amounting to much being worthy is a real eye opener for us all.

Cole, you have a very interesting way of looking at things. I always love hearing from you.

Ruby

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8910695

YAY...Hugger!! Your cabinet is lovely!

I did the same thing regarding Christmas decorations. I decided I would get a few things out and would sort thru more stuff to get rid of and I was surprised that there is not near as much stuff as I thought!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8925780

Fabulous, Hugger! Hope it all sells!

I went thru my stash of gardening articles and got rid of a few things. ho hum.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2011
3:35 AM

Post #8925830

a few things is a few Less things . Everyone must be busy with holiday stuff.

I was talking to my big brother yesterday ,he retired November 30th his 65th BDay ,He was the Executive director of the colorado state board of examiners 30 years. Asked him what he has been doing,he has been decluttering...LOL...LOL..He has to keep reminding himself that he dosent have to get it done today ... .oh how nice that would be..Have a great day everyone

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8926794

Need to see what else I can clear out. Looks like our son will be having to move in with us after the holidays, while he continues on fighting for disability.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 30, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #8987562

Chucked: one old computer, one useless fan, one broken garden bench, an old gas camping stove and dried/empty paint tins for the bulk waste collection. The computer hard drive was taken to and totally destroyed before going into the recycling bin.

I have ready another box of clothing and other miscellaneous items for the animal protection op shop.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #8988423

You mean you FINALLY pitched the old PC!!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #8988540

You go Margaret!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 30, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #8988542

Yep. It was only the box and gizzards. I gave the monitor, keyboard and mouse to my sister. Glad to see the tail end of it.

Cross posted, coleup. I'm running out of things to chuck. Thank God fashion changes because I'll always find things in the wardrobe that i'll never wear again.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2012 7:19 AM

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #8988690

I have gotten sidetracked...again! need to get back to it...
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 30, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #8988893

We have two new miniature schnauzers. They are 5 months old. I needed a place near the tea pot for their dry food.

Well I started on the cabinet in the corner, lowered a shelf to give me more height for the dry dog food bags. I had to take everything out of the cabinet to lower the shelf. I fund things I forgot I had.

Then my OCD/ADHD and whatever took off. Next thing I knew I had three cabinets emptied and part of the floor area of the pantry. Counter-tops covered with everything. I took 2 very large garbage bags to Goodwill. Before I separated and discarded many, I had 12 cutting boards. Many items I would never use again. I have no idea why I piled them in the back of these cabinets. I had 5 pie plates and still have 5 pie plates. I do not make pies but they were my mothers.

So my cabinets are rearranged but the wood floors are a mess and I was to tired to finish. Took me close to 5 hours. One reason being a whole bunch of things needed to be cleaned before they could be put back. I put dates on some items. So if I do not use them in a year, then I will get rid of them also. Sharon
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 30, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #8988925

Good for you, Sharon. That's a marathon effort. Good idea to date things. I should do that with my clothes.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #8992758

Every evening I have been burning old financial statements. This has been cathartic, as I never liked the investment firm we used (it was Smith Barney). I always felt the people were slick. Now we know! We still have a bottle of wine given to us by one of the slickers as a salve for our financial wounds. We have never opened it. I have always wished I bonked him on the head with it ;-). Any suggestions? I think it is Chardonnay.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 2, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #8992779

I have a suggestion. Send it to me.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 2, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #8992793

Probably no good. I shred my financials and then add them to the compost pile.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #8992875

Thank you for the smile you just gave me.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #8993466

I cleaned up papers I had here on the desk piled up. Shredded what need it and the rest in the recycle box!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 6, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #8996453

Good work gals. Gosh, been a while since I have accessed this particular thread. I can't recall the last time I chucked anything of any importance. I do know that this should be the month when I begin packing up knick knacks and the like to store while I am having new carpeting installed. I thought it would be an excellent time to do another pare down of items.

Always great to hear from all of you. Take care and have a great week.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 6, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #8997358

Thanks, Ruby. You must be doing well if you haven't anything to chuck. How lovely to be getting new carpet. That's always a real treat.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #8997606

I just started a huge project...Stripping bathroom cabinets,wallpaper is down new drywall is up on the ceiling..I had to empty out drawers ,I was surprised at how much I tossed..Yay...now to get more stripping done,I got all the doors done saturday,next drawers and frames..Cant wait to start staining...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 8, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #8999367

I hadn't thought of it in terms of not having anything to toss Margaret. I was thinking more along the lines of me being a bit lazy. hahaha I like your take on it lots better...makes me sound as though I am on top of the game...which is by no means the truth.

Digger, way to go. That is a major undertaking and better you than me. I am looking forward to new carpeting, but the thoughts of having to pack up everything so that moving furniture on the carpet laying day is something that turns my stomach every time I think of it. There is no rush, because it will still be a while before I allow workmen in here. Being cold and winter time is no time to have people in and out all day long.

Even though it has happened often enough over the years, I always hate living in a construction or re-modeling area. It really makes you realize how nice it is when things are put back in order.

Good luck on the bathroom digger.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9001418

Ruby ,where is Digger...LOL..i have not talked to her in ages...Hows the carpet coming...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 13, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9004921

Duh, maybe I read your name wrong hugger. Oops, I bad.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 16, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9009526

How's the bathroom renovation going, Tamara?

I took a box and bag of stuff to the animal shelter op shop yesterday.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9009605

I was just going to comment on that...LOL... All the cabinets are stripped...YAY...Buying stain and finish today. then saturday I will be staining.YAY...The woood looks soo nice minus the orange color.. Going to a dark pecan

Thumbnail by huggergirl   Thumbnail by huggergirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 17, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9009645

Wow, good job!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9010060

bet that will look really nice!!

Chucked some frozen dinners that I had for the kids. They had been in the freezer for way too long!! lol
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9010796

We will be chucking that counter top too...and the flooring...Not soon enough..Time to get to work

Yes my freezer is calling my name too...Any chuck is a good chuck...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 21, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9014690

I decided an hour or so ago to donate some children's food (junk) to a neighbor who is here visiting for her grandchildren. Being a person who can't pass up a good deal, and often buying in excess of what I will use, I have ended up with six or eight packages of freeze pops, the liquid syrupy type of concoction that my grand children. I haven't really had space to keep them and so for several months they have been sitting atop a food cabinet. Out a few of them go today. I can certainly buy more when summer rolls around again.

There was once a time when my husband's and my cupboards looked pretty bare for a period of time. Having a lot of food on hand wasn't too very important at the time due to no children living at home and no grand children born who would visit.

Upon moving to this house about seven years ago and being in a better financial position, I have learned to love having adequate food on hand for cooking without having to run to the grocery store so many times a week. I often buy in bulk, but sometimes I have to admit to going overboard. The freeze pops being the case here.

Anyway...I will probably continue to buy good deals in bulk, but will watch it on the junk food front a bit better. Maybe it is true about a little of something, going a long way.

Ruby
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 21, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9015423

Well Ruby, I have never learned that. If one is good, 10 is better.

Our weather is in the 70s so I am going to garden the next few days. My DH only eats when I prepare his meal and put it in front of him. But at least he is finally eating. Also have two new schnauzer puppies. One male and on female. Brother and sister. What was I thinking. Obviously I was not thinking. I forgot how hard puppy training is but we are making progress.

I purchased some new tops because my daughter told me short tops are now out. So now I have to remove the shorter ones from my closet. Have at least 30 to remove. See what I mean about my brain. Why have 10 when I can have 30.

And we also have a new kitten. Nine (9) month old female Calico. Great cat and she and the puppies play all the time.

Talk to you all soon. Sharon
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9016393

Awwww! A pretty calico kittie and puppies too. Sweet!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9016407

Sharon, the thought of your pets made me forget what I was going to report I have rid myself of. I was in an odd mood the other day and burned all of the decluttering articles I had saved. It felt very good.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 26, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9020491

Nothing like taking the pressure off oneself is it Huckleberry? You killed two birds with one stone with burning the clutter articles. You made space for something else, plus took the pressure off to do de-cluttering and won't have to be reminded of what you still have to do. I really love the way you think sometimes.

So good to hear from you Sharon. Yep, sounds like you needed some extra stress in your life so decided to bring home more pets. Hey, I am right there with you on having pets in the home. They are really good for ones soul. At one time, we had four dogs ranging in size from about twenty pounds to about ninety pounds. The twenty pounder and the ninety pounder have both gone to doggie heaven now, but they are still very much loved and often thought of.

The two remaining sillies we have here are beginning to show their ages. Neither have the personalities of the two we lost, but they too are much company and enjoyment for us.

I hear you on the ten is better. I spent a few hours yesterday ordering some new tops on line. I hadn't set out to do that, but started and didn't finish for a few hours. Hmmm...I know that I prefer longer tops, fashionable or not. I like the idea that they hide some of the things that need hidden on me. I have to admit that the length of most of the things I ordered yesterday, I didn't really buy for fashions sake, because I bought them mainly to say that I will get dressed each day while baby sitting rather than wearing my nighties around the house all day. It really bothered my four year old grand daughter the days I stayed in my nighties and she questioned me about it several times. I bought mainly tank tops which I will wear at home and never in public if I can help it, so really wasn't thinking of looking good as much as I was thinking of comfort of the hot summer.

Anyway...along with Huckleberry, I can't think of anything I chucked in the past few days. Good seeing both of you today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9021501

Ruby,Tunic tops are very In...I too like a longer top...I hated all those short dang tops a few years ago...Im not 18 anymore...I wish I were...I love tunics..ive been trying to replace my shorter tops too,any thing to irritate the dh...LOL..whats wrong with that shirt,cant you see its too short,and Im OLD...LOL..Ive done a little decluttering,while puttting things back in the bathroom cabinets,cleaned out the PC file drawer. Photo of the finished cabinets .

Thumbnail by huggergirl

rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 28, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9023280

Great photo hugger. Gosh, where are all the little knick knacks, tooth brushes, hair brushes, cotton swaps and any number of other things that are sitting out in the open in my bathroom? I envy that you have such an uncluttered room especially compared to what mine looks like. Some of the items I have sitting on the back of the toilet, could go under the sink after being used I suppose, but I just don't take the time to do. Maybe that is something I can begin addressing, because all those things sitting out in my bath room are certainly tempting to my almost two year old grand son who likes to pick up every thing he sees and check it out.

Thanks for sharing and giving me the motivation to do something much more like yours, than mine is currently. Good work.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9023581

Hey huggergirl! Just popping in to wish you a very Happy Birthday. Hope your new year is full of finished projects and clean and clutter free spaces and the joy you find in living each day is boundless.

Judy
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 28, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9023823

Oh, happy birthday, Tamara. I hope it was/is a good one and wishing you a great year to follow. xx
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 29, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9024273

Thank You for the Happy Birthday wishes,I had a great day,even tho I threw my back out..I bent over and swooped the pup up..aaand,ouch.Geesh..Im much better already,it was not as bad as it could have been,I stretched and use some heat,before it knotted up...Dang

Ruby, I do have a few things that set out,thye have been put up for now,because of dust and the like from working on the room. I do have a rule,only certain things can sit out. I hate to clean around a bunch of STUFF,I use hairspray and it makes the Lovely Burgandy counter top look all Dusty , I try to wipe it off every few days ...LESS stuff to move to clean. OH OH the dh had the Nerve to say while looking into the storage cabinet ...Boy We have A Lot Of Stuff...I was LIKE WHATT...we have 6 bath towels,and Not much else in there ,I try soo hard to Not have An abundance of STUFF...Photo below..I guess in his eyes it should be empty...LOL..Well he thinks if we have 1 roll of tp we dont need to buy it Just Yet...LOL...Have a Great day

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 29, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9025331

Happy Leap Birthday!

I got hubbs to haul 2 boxes of VHS tapes, music CDs and DVDs to the second-hand store. He came running out with $22.50! We were thrilled. I went inside and spent half of it on a lovely hat rack for my Mother. Win, win, win!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9027143

Great,Huck nice you got $$$,I think we now have a store like that..Hmm
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 2, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9027526

Good going to you both.

I chucked three packets of cracker biscuits that had developed, shall we say, a life of their own.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9028001

Margaret,LOL...Glad you tossed them...Who knows...haha
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 4, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9029432

Thanks for the laugh Margaret...but yuck!!! Yeah, sounds like it was time for those crackers to be gone elsewhere.

I will join in with belated birthday wishes Tamara. Oh my gosh...your hubby would have a real heck of a time if he saw underneath my bathroom sink. I mean, under sinks and in closets in this small house, it is a horror. For the most part I am able to keep most surfaces neat, clean and tidy, but opening cabinets doors you do so at your own risk because most every thing is chock full.

I have a hard time throwing things away...I have to admit. If it has one ounce of life left in it, I can think of ways to use it. A couple of days ago I realized that my master closet is again in terrible shape. I determine how bad things are by how far I can walk in to the closet. Presently, there is no walking in to it, because the floor is full to the door and if I need anything, I have to bend and reach over totes and bags and assundry other things to get what I want. The shame of this is that there is open space on the racks up higher, but I often get in a hurry and just sit things in there on the floor instead of taking the time to put it upwards where it belongs. Working on that closet may be on my agenda today. Maybe...will report in as to yea or nay.

Huckleberry, way to go doll. I love getting money for things I won't use. Makes it all worth while. I have yet another area that needs my attention soon or it will all come tumbling down. I try to keep my grand children's toys together and as neatly as possible stored on a Baker Rack in the spare bedroom. It is getting in pretty bad shape, with them often bringing over new toys and not taking them back home when they leave. I actually have a corner in the living room that is growing a pile of toys too, so it is definitely time to do something. I need to go through the things on the rack and most likely send things to local thrift store or possibly save some of the things for a great niece who will be needing toys in the future.

My hubby just made a grocery run for me so that will allow me to have a couple of hours this afternoon that I thought was going to be used grocery shopping. No excuse for not tackling the closet and toy rack, is it? Not much getting done with me sitting here, but I need my dose of inspiration from you gals, so will hang here for a bit longer.

Hugger, if you keep posting pictures of your accomplishments, I may be guilted in to getting something done. So, please send any pictures, we love them here.

Here is hoping that everyone has a great Sunday and the upcoming week will brings lots of good things to all reading. Take care everyone.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9030354

we, too have a small house ,just under 1400 sq.ft. I have 3 closets...Thats it...and we built this house...wtheck??? no walk in`s either...LOL...so I have to be careful as too what we can keep. I have lots of chest of drawers..a childs wardrobe used as a desk,lots of storage,computer desk lots of storage.

I love to Organize,when I have time...i could almost be OCD...TG Im not...I need a little messy in my life.

I got the cabinets all done ,working on the ceiling mudding and taping almost done,ahh getting closer. Need to go pick out wallpaper...BOO...HISS...I wanted to paint instead,nott..too many years of different wallpapers.

Thumbnail by huggergirl

rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 5, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9030878

Looking good hugger.

Hope everyone is having a good day. We awoke to a ground covered with snow. Before things were said and done, we had about five inches. It is rather warm here today, so it should go away quickly, which suits me just fine.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2012

Post #9035287

Hugger, you rock! I'm very impressed with your new vanity project. Lots of steps and you have worked so well, no quitting. You go, girl!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9036674

Oh thank you,heading in to do a coat of mud, this fine saturday morning...LOL..Then a trip into the Fort...Ft. Wayne the place we have to go for everything..LOL..well almost...coffee maker died yesterday...SOBBING...
We are going to buy 1 of those Keurigs ,I hope I like it...buying the accessory filter basket,as I wont pay the price for thos little pre done cups...Its on sale and I have 30% off plus i get $10 cash back for every $50 I spend...LOL...Geesh...I will get it at great price tho..much better than the so called asking price at Kohls..279.00..on sale for 179.00...walmarts normal price... but I get the 30 % off soo 125.00 plus $20 cash back,but that would mean I d have to go spend more money to use those ???LOL I do need new dishes ,been using the same ones for over 25 years..haha..

probly will look at wallpaper..

been cold as ever here after that 65 degrees ..geesh...we are having Low records ??? didnt get this all winter...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 10, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9036798

Hugger, I have a Keurig coffee maker and have loved it. Yep, the K cups are costly though. We normally brew in a ten buck Mr. Coffee but a couple of years ago I got the Keurig maker and have enjoyed some of the wonderful types of almost dessert coffees that I have purchased. As of the past month or so, I am big in to drinking cocoa late in the day instead of coffee. I bought one box of cocoa k-cups and then decided to just run tap water through the maker with the packet of cocoa already in the cup.

I haven't ordered any k-cups for a while either mainly due to cost. I was able to find that Bed, Bath and Beyond usually carries a great assortment of different coffees and will begin purchasing them there when I next run out.

My shopping spree yesterday was for Easter basket goodies. I am ashamed at how much money I spent but Easter and all the beautiful colors associated with it makes a sucker of me each year. I much prefer Easter decor over Christmas and tend to go a bit over board. Guess that is not such a great thing to admit to on a message board which is mainly set up to encourage one another to get rid of things, not buy so much that you don't have enough storage space for it. hahaha

Anyway...in terms of chucking...I started a toy bag this week which will be donated as soon as I have finished going through the toys we have here. I have been babysitting my grand children for over a year now, and they often bring things from home which are left behind and often never touched again. I noticed also while going through things that some of toys that have made their way here are noise makers. I will happily donate them to some unsuspecting person to be annoyed in their household and not mine.

The last week of this month I plan to begin another rather extensive down sizing attempt in term of knicky knack sorts of things. I am planning to have new carpeting installed before too long and I won't be babysitting the children the last week of the month and figure that is a good time to begin packing up my many decorations sitting around. Did I mention that I have three china cabinets full of stuff? Most of the things stored in them, I will keep but I figure as long as I am packing up, I should take advantage of the situation and get rid of some of the things I have grown tired of or things that no longer have an appeal for me.

Great plans huh? Getting started is another matter. I know I have to do it, but just haven't started yet. It will happen soon enough and for now I will have to be satisfied when any thing at all goes out the door.

I hope that everyone reading is having a great weekend.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9037854

ruby ,great on your toy reduction,sad for the person who recieves that NOISE maker..LOL

We went to Kohls an got a Keurig platnum...$84.00...uumm..it started out at $239.00 in RED,the black one was 279.oo ??? on sale for 179.00, red one was on sale for 129.00 plus 10% off it was a floor model,and my 30% off made it a total of $84...CHAACHING...LOL..and i got the lil basket I can refill reuse with my own coffee...all on sale..and my colors are red and green ...perfect ,we love it.

Hoping to get outside today...it might get nice.. : )
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9043256

We have a Sears Kenmore red coffeemaker and a toaster too. So cheerful. We luv them.

I drug all the New Yorker magazines out from under the dresser where they have been gathering dust and cat hair. Flipped thru them, speed-reading the interesting articles and the cartoons. Didn't cut anything out, Yeay, so I donated them back to the library free box where I got them 2 years ago. Whoopee!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9043360

Got me thinking ...Would our Library take my in perfect shape Natonal Geographic Mags...Goodwill throws them away...acckkk
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9045686

Sometimes schools will take Nat. Geos. if your library won't. Good idea.

I loaded up the truck with stuff to sell or trade. One buyer was on vacation in Hawaii, the other is not currently buying and I would need an appt. to consign. So I schlepped it all back home with my little tail tucked firmly between my legs. I will try again in a few weeks. Ho hum.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 19, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9048773

Try phoning first the next time Huckleberry. That must have been really disappointing though, to have gone to the trouble of packing things up and thinking all the while that they would be finding new homes, and then have to turn around and bring them back home.

Speaking of books and magazines. I was finally able to get some of my magazine clutter under control a while back. Just recently I was out in my shed looking at the bins that are all packed full of things that I can't bear to get rid of yet. I spied several bins with books. I hadn't really thought of them as being too major a problem until now. I used to use the Library a lot for getting magazines and to buy from the room in the basement where they sold books ranging from ten cents to about a dollar. I am sure that is where I amassed most of what are now just a clutter problem for me.

I am like hugger and hate the thought of things just being tossed. It really seems that there should be more life and more enjoyment for someone with many of these things. I realize it is a new day and a new age and we no longer need to live as those who lived through the depression did and use something till all life was gone. I still have problems throwing away anything that looks as though it might serve a future purpose. Only rarely do I throw out anything glass. I am also caught up on some of the plastic containers that microwaveable food comes in too. One of these days I may grow out of the habit I currently have and maybe not. At least with the things I do keep, I have homes for them and they are strown about the way some of the hoarders shows homeowners things are. Anyway...trying to justify this bad habit I suppose.

Anyway...if you all have good ideas on what to do with books, I have a feeling that I might be wanting to do something with the loads of one I currently am holding on to. Thanks all.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 20, 2012
12:32 AM

Post #9049696

As usual, very well put, Ruby.

That must have been disappointing, huck.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9049797

Oh how frustrating huck...sorry..
ruby ,since the books are in tubs ,haul them out front and have a Used Book Sale...make a little cash,knowing the people that buy them are reading them,and they have to worry about the books now and not You...Then after those tubs are empty,,ahhhh...with $$ in hand...I have these planter wall pockets and a matching hanging basket. I d love to use them,but it will never happen...DH will never finish the porch I want to hang them on...So Im going to donate them to the Humane Society Plant sale fundraiser...Its killing me..I really Like them...But Im tired of moving them back and forth...this is year 16 ive been waiting on him to finish the porch...

rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 20, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9050164

Gosh hugger, your husband may just have my husband beat on not finishing projects. I am in to year number four of waiting for him to finish a walkway he began some years back when we realized that my walking and balance was becoming affected. Poor guy thought he was doing me a big favor and was going to make gardening easier for me. By starting the walkway project and never finishing yet, what he has basically done is to hamper my ability to even access the largest flower bed, so it is going to weeds pretty much. I can understand your frustration over the porch. I don't believe I would be as calm and cool about as you sound though. At least John recently purchased a cement mixer he plans to use on building the walkway this summer hopefully.

Good idea on the books. What I might try is getting them all together and possibly running a Craigs list ad and see how many I am able to get rid of that way. If that doesn't take a good many off my hands, I might then consider Freecycle or donating. I like your idea of making a bit of money off of them first though...so thanks. Hmmm...maybe I can find some spare time soon, hahahaha...is there really such as thing as spare time?...and begin going through the bins and making sure that I am pricing things correctly. I don't want to just give away things that someone would pay money for. I would do something sort of like a yard sale type of thing, but I am pretty far down a rural path and not going to get much drive by business. I have run ads in the past on Craig's List and been able to get rid of, by selling a few things that I didn't want to just give away. Why hadn't I thought of this before now? hahaha Thanks again for getting the old brain running.

Anyway...will have to give some thought to when I am actually going to do something like this because with the warm weather here, I am in the middle of a lot of garden clean up and planting. I am supposed to be getting new flooring soon, so I don't want to have too many things on my plate at once. The selling of books may have to wait until next fall.

Anyway...hope that everyone is having a delightful day. See you next time.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9051138

Ruby ,I know the full plate ,mine is over flowing right now too,with this warm weather so early ,cleaning gardens up,we have a lrge woods that is a mess with dead trees down, dead ash trees standing..DH has been working on that...but could be 1 of those deals start and never finish...I have to stay cal m about all of his unfinished projects,we have several...A bathroom that has never been finished...cant use it..16 years,front porch ,side porch. Ive just got him to allmost finish a small kitchen project that has also been 16 years in the waiting..Im tired of complaining...OHHH and he has been retired 11 years ,I still work...And I just finished refinishing the bath cabinets in the main bath,and Im working on mudding and taping a new ceiling that he hung, Ill get it painted here in a few weeks then I will look for wallp[aper. all he did was hang the ceiling..Im doin the rest..it will get done that way...LOL

I didnt even think about Craigs list,ofr freecycle...good idea,,sold our 75 corvette 2 yrs ago on craigs in a few hours...Yay,i get to park in the garage again...LOL...Ok I need this party started...time to get outside before it gets too hott...In March ?????
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 21, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9052253

HG, same here. No dead or downed trees but a lot of work in the garden. We are already in the 80s and will probably be summer in another 2 weeks. I worked outside for over 5 hours but then the body just shut down. I had a chest cold for 4+ weeks and have been well for 3 days. But, I am finally well. I have never had a cold knock me down and keep me down like this one. I have not been in the garden for over a month. I have landscape people once a week but all they do is clean. They only do what I ask them to do because they do not know the difference between a weed and a flower.

HG, your DH is lucky he is married to you. Sixteen years is a long time for an unfinished project.

My DH is a "Thinker". It is a good thing I made a lot of money and saved it because he cannot and will not do anything that looks like repairs. His favorite question was, "Do you need it done now"? I will not tell you what I thought and I never said much back with a question like that. So slowly but sure I learned how to fix irrigation, lamps or whatever came up. I have a dolly for heavy things. Then about 4 years ago I found a handyman that was at one time a custom home builder. So I just keep a list and have him come by every few months and do DH's honey do list.

I am currently going through my 4 garden seed boxes and consolidating my seeds. Also getting rid of quite a few. I am going to donate them. The county has a community garden and they need seeds.

Anyway, I had to stop in and give you all my two cents worth. Later Friends, Sharon
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9053732

Soo glad you did sharon...my dh is wonderful at everything he does,and he can do anything,motorcycle repair,cars,even building this house..small projects are perfect him...He can fix anything ,or build ...He has taught me a lot,imglad to say,He is perfectionist,and a Procastinator...all in the same breath...Love him anyhow...LOL

I got rid of a ton of seed yesterday,I sowed seed everywhere across the road, in the woods, in the rocks...LOL..Hoping to see a few new bloomers in other places...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9081820

Hey where is everyone ...Outside ????...i emptied a steamer trunk of Photos...burned them...I have no children ,mystep kids have no Idea who my family really is and why would I want to burden them with photos of people they have no Idea WHO IN THE WORLD they are...SOOO Voilla they are gone...Yes a whole steamer trunk. At least the trunk is all but empty now ,its a cool one came from austrailia with my mother in law and my husband in 1946 1/2,its addressed to. M. NELSON..DETROIT MICHIGAN,HOTEL MILNER.
I kept some photos...LOL... it kinda a sad thing...I had beautiful photos of my aunts and uncles weddings ,an mom an dads...but my aunts wedding in Chicago...they looked like the Mafia..1940...No smiles...very somber faces..LOL..a sad thing burning those photos...ahh OH WELL...its done now..Im glad ,wont have to worry about them in years to come..Yes 100`s of them maybe a 1000...ashes..

: ] :] :]
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 14, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9081881

Hey there hugger, Sharon and all. I have been so busy the past few weeks that I haven't accessed many of the threads I like to keep up with. So sorry to hear that you have been ailing again Sharon. Please do take care. I know that you want to be outside messin' in the dirt or sand in your case maybe. I thought of you last night when I was watering the Rain Lilies.

I have been gearing up to begin selling house plants at the Farmer's Market when it opens the last Saturday of this month. Lots of potting up rootings I kept through the winter. I am also seeing lots of plants outdoors that I may end up having to pot up myself due to hubby being involved in so many other things currently.

Sharon, your hubby and mine sound as though they are cut from the same cloth. I get the same question asked as you do when I make a reqest. Now???? I too have some words in my head that I haven't the nerve to say outloud. hahahaha MEN!!!

Anyway hugger, I too can identify with unfinished projects. We have an almost five year old walkway midconstruction in the front yard. It is a good thing that I cannot see the front from inside the house or he would have definitely heard a mouth full over the years.

Anyway...maybe now that I finally got our taxes filed, I will find some extra time to keep up with the threads here. Hope that everyone is having an enjoyable and productive weekend. Take care until next time.

Ruby
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 14, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9082178

Ruby, It is not that I do no dare say something, it is the sulking that comes after or the hurt feelings. My DH was the youngest and 12 years younger than the rest. His older brother warned me he was spoiled rotten. Of course, I did not listen... I learned years ago though to just keep my mouth shut. And to praise if he does anything. Like a new puppy. It works and keeps him happy.

I just signed up with 52 Week Organized Home Challenge
Join me for the 52 Weeks to an Organized Home Challenge, at Home Storage Solutions 101, where each week we tackle a different area in our home. By the time the year is over you'll have organized everything in your home, and developed habits and routines to keep that organization in place for the long run.
Category: mylife
Pins: 26
Followers: 3,136
Pinner: Taylor Flanery (taylor_flanery) It is on Pinterest. It is free and they send you a news letter each week. It has some great ideas. We could probably do the same thing but to busy gardening.

I am well and have been gardening. My Saturday worker disappeared after being here every Saturday for over a year. And I had him trained so well. And I paid him well and made him lunch when I made our lunch. Oh well. I did find someone to clean the patio. He works for the company that cleans my windows. Took him two full days but he did a great job. I just did not have it in me. The patio is covered and goes the full length of the back of the house and wraps around the NW side by the pool.

Ruby, my rain lilies greenery sometimes gets to long and lays on the ground. I just cut it back. For some reason, right after trimming back, they bloom.

I am in trouble. I am watching DIY TV station and they are showing all the new tools for the garden. One hour worth of new tools. What else could you ask for.

Good job on the photos Hugger. My first husband's brother sent my son's wife all their family photos. Each photo has a sticky attached telling her who they were. Well Baby Luke, now 2, removed all the stickies when her back was turned while she was working on them. My daughter and my sons wife went through all of our photos and made their own copies of what they wanted. Some of the photos I had no idea who some of the people were.

My daughter redid my wall of family photos for me for Christmas. She up-dated some of the photos. That had been on my de-clutter, get updated list for years. My daughter did not acquire my cluttering with buying everything. I think she knew she would eventually get mine. But I do not think she thought she would get it this soon. Some of the items I have given her are stored in my storage room because her home does not have enough storage (in her mind). But they are in boxes with her name on them.

Anyway, nice to drop in and say hellow. Later friends, Sharon
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9083037

i had plans of using old photos and organizing all the rest...Not any more...LOL..I ended up with a bunch of frames and nice photo albums that were never used,all going to my sd`s garage sale... I kept some frames,I still display up to date photos..

too bad on your garden helper : (

Organizing 101 that could be fun...Im a little sick arnt I... LOL...I am an organizer...When I have time,it seems to me I have less of that... all the Time...hahaha

im busy digging and pottingup for the Humane Society fund raiser,making potting chairs too at least 12...eekk...I need to get on that...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 16, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9084638

Hi Sharon and Hugger...Sharon - I heard my dad complain for so many years about not being able to find good help around the farm and orchard he ran. I thought he was just complaining to be complaining, but now that I often hire out jobs, I know what he was saying.

I have had a cleaning lady for fifteen years who for the most part has been excellent. I know from listening to her talk that she runs a bit on the paranoid side and think that everyone is out to get her. I have bent over backwards and been very helpful to her over the years. She can get in to snits and decide to punish me it seems and just not show, or call and make excuses.

Last year for a period of time, I just stopped hearing from her. Several months later she called and said she had been ill. When she was ill one time before, she kept in touch with me during the time. Not exactly sure what I may have done to step on her toes but she finally decided I had been punished enough I suppose, or her pocket book began hurting more than her pride, so she started showing up again.

For several weeks she kept mentioning that her daughter needed some work until I finally agreed to have her daughter come and help in the yard one day. This was a Tuesday that the daughter came and she left with promises of returning on Saturday. I at least got a call saying the girl wouldn't be coming due to a hangover. I haven't asked or said anything about any more yard work since then.

It is very difficult to find really reliable people. Hope that your handy man doesn't put you in too much of a bind.

Hugger, I am now wondering when I will finally attack my couple of bins full of old photos. It is an easy thing to allow to be swept to the side year after year. What an accomplishment you have made addressing yours and you must feel really satisfied about your efforts. Great job!!!

Thanks for writing Sharon...always good to hear from you. Take good care all.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9085738

you know ruby thats what Ive done for a living tthe last 25 years...Ive had most of my clients that I started with...They count on me...I try soo hard not to let them down ever..im honest up front if I dont have time or ive got plans..I let them know,im flexable an so are they...Im very lucky...I did fire a house once...her house was soo clean ...I felt Stupid cleaning...No dust or dirt ever ??? It was spose to be 8-10 weeks ...after a year,I said Im not coming back after my Vacation...nope I could not even do it for the money,even tho it was easy...I felt soo stupid...LOL...cleaning nothing ??? I didnt even have to do the toilets...she did them ??? It still makes me laugh...have not seen her since,hope I never do,she will want me back...And I have a hard time saying NO...Cant imagaine getting mad at any of my clients,I love them...
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 17, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9085846

My effort is going to seem pathetic next to some of the marathon events described here. I've chucked two hairbrushes. I think they breed in the cupboard. I can't possibly have bought as many as I have.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9088340

Margaret, those brushes could be grooming a shelter animal. good find!

Hugger, I am in awe at you for burning a trunk full of family photos. !!! I volunteered to organize my parents' drawers full of photos and make an album for our mother's 80th b-day and I nearly lost my mind to the undertaking. I got to 1955 and pooped out. The first family member to complain the album ends in 1955 gets to pick up where I left off.

My sis cleans homes and has a client she can't hack. The woman has a spotless condo and wants to clean alongside my sister. It sounds like the dream cleaning job to me, but what do I know of cleaning? Nothing! =^..^=

I have not rid myself of much lately, unless weeds count. A friend stopped by who is moving, again, at age 81. He had terrible tales of having to sort thru his stuff and throw so much away. I had an awful feeling that if I live to 81, I will still have so much junk. I find myself beginning to lose my tolerance for junk. I hope I can get past the summer yard sale season without weakening.

Glad to read all of your posts. I have been interested in Pinterest but haven't dared peek at it yet. I fear it will be like trying to eat just one potato chip.

Happy Spring everyone!

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9088626

Margaret,thats funny...I just gave 2round brushes to my grandaughter,why did I have them...I use a flat iron...LOL

Huck,It was a bitter sweet thing...but it felt good after it was over,photos stink when you burn them...LOL

Well they just finished Logging out our woods ...which is our front yard...16 blackwalnut,15 ash...Oh what a mess it is...Its Ok ...Boy we needed to that a long time ago...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 19, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9088800

Margaret, you are too cute!!! Heck, I am with Huckleberry and not much chucking being done here unless it is weeds and other garden debris. At this point it seems like a never ending chore too. We finally had some much needed rain yesterday, and today would be a good day to be out weeding, but my afternoon is spoken for with baby sitting two grand children. Don't need them out there getting wet and muddy. Will do inside things today.

Anyway...as always it is great to hear from everyone. Till next we speak...take good care.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 19, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9089476

Huck, the brushes wouldn't be any good for animal grooming. They were round ones.

Hey Tamara, mine were both round brushes as well, but had lost their super-duper smoothing coating. I also use the straightening thingy. Best thing I've ever bought in my life!

Ruby, I'm finding less and less to chuck, because I'm running out of things and am not buying anything new.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9089703

M, someday I hope to type your last line and not be telling a fib. Good for you!

Hug, those are nice hardwoods. I immediately coveted them for furniture making, caught myself and let that urge fly out the other side of my heart. I am trying to curb my enthusiasm. Deconstruct, deconstruct, deconstruct. Whoa, Nelly.

Ruby, I am glad you are getting some rain. I had to do inside stuff today too. Started cleaning the greenhouse again. Dumped a handful of bent nails in the recycling and threw two chipped wooden golf tees into the woodstove. Then it stopped raining and I was out weeding the green onion beds. Suddenly I decided I wanted a cookbook I had put in the "OUT" box 2 months ago and spent the rest of my free time searching for it. But I'm not going to keep it. I just HAD to look something up...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9089899

well Huck ,someone will be making furniture out of it ..It just wont be you or me...LOL...goodthing ...no pile just sitting there... ; }

Margaret ,I dont really have enough hair to use a round brush ,but I tried ...LOL...flat Iron ,after I used a round barrel iron for ever...It worked ..Love the flat one. Easy an fast..

Been painting 12 potting chairs...almost done whoop whoop...Maybe I can water now,I really need to,maybe rain today ?? They have said that before...LOL
Have agreat day alll...
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012

Post #9092368

whats a potting chair? or did you mean potty chairs?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9092573

Potting Chairs,full of flowers...LOL...I know..potty...I made 12 of them for a fund raiser,all I need to do is fillem up with flowers...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 22, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9092750

I too want to be just like Margaret when I grow up. I am making progress, but boy is it slow. I have this idea for next year that involves ridding the closet in what has become my houseplant room the past few years and using the closet to store my potting supplies instead of having them take up space on bakers racks in the room. The room is very small, and my house plant collection is growing, so space is precious.

Margaret, do you have any secrets for getting where you find yourself today in terms of not having much to chuck? I really did what I regarded as a major chuck last year and was really proud of myself. I did hold on to things that I don't have use for though, and with the incentive of new flooring being installed any day now, I want to use the opportunity of having to pack things up to hopefully also dispose of much of it.

I have extra help coming later this week to help me begin tackling the job of packing up things preparing for the construction work to come. Thus far, I have not had the motivation to dispose of any thing else that is left in the house, or is packed up in my shed. The time has come to let go of some things. I am hoping to get a bit of money for some of the items and plan to run a craigs list ad in hopes that maybe some antiques and collectibles dealers will come and by the whole lot of it. I don't need big bucks, but I also don't want to just donate either. We will see, by the time I start addressing the issue this week, I may see the magnitude of it all and decide that a charity shop is worthy of it all. I will keep you folks updated to my results. In the mean time, I am open to hearing of success stories or any hints and tips for disposing of a lot of glassware sorts of items. Thanks folks!!!

Anyway...hope the upcoming week is a great one for all. Oh yeah, hugger...great job on the potting chairs. How cool. If you don't mind saying, how much do you charge for these beauties? I love this idea.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9093881

$40.oo,all the chairs were donated to me also..Yay...I asked for them on facebook,I scored bigg time..

I can say, I too am buying less and less...I did a major clean out several years ago now,Less is more ,less is more...Had a huge garage sale,worked my behind off ...and It paid off bigg...I got new living room furniture with the proceeds...score...lucky for myself that Im an organizer...but when you gather too much stuff,its hard to organize,Sooo...Time to Shed that stuff...wish I were closer i would help you ,you might hate me after its all over tho...LOL..LOL...I get kinda bossy...in a nice way...Pick a spot and Geterdone...then pick another spot...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 23, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9094137

Very reasonable price for the chairs...I especially love the rocker. Oh my gosh, I am really envious of your organization and go get 'em talents hugger. I too was in a mood last year to de-clutter and did quite a good job or so I thought. It is now a year later and I still have loads of items I wasn't ready to dispose of last time I did this.

I am now in a place of wanting and finally being able to afford to have new flooring laid and I have so many odds and ends decorative types of things sitting around, that I have been worrying myself for months over how to get started. I have been waiting some what due to wanting to start in a particular room where I house my large collection of house plants during the winter, and am waiting for them to go outdoors, which will be happening in about two weeks. My plan is later this week going to order the carpeting. I am hoping to have some help later in the week when it isn't raining to help me first of all get rid of some of the things in the storage shed, and secondly, pack up the indoors goodies and take to storage shed while flooring is occurring.

Anyway...I am open to hints and tips about getting motivated and getting started. I know that without the help from others on the Clean and Clutter Free forum last year, I wouldn't have stayed motivated to complete what I did then without the support of folks here.

I suppose it may help to keep in mind the end product of my efforts, such as you must have done when selling your things and then being able to afford all new furniture. My efforts in cleaning out will result in new flooring and maybe a whole new look to my surroundings. I am half way convinced that less is more and am leaning toward that way of living. It has been nice to have lots of eye candy here, there and every where, but may be time to have just blank space in a place or two.

Thanks for allowing me to think out loud here. I will get there, slowly but surely. Continued good luck with every one elses projects and under takings. I need you folks.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 23, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9095401

Ruby, I feel like a bit of a charlatan, with you believing I have nothing more to be chucked, because there is stuff here that should go. Thing is, I feel guilty chucking things that have been given to me as gifts. I'm certainly not buying, which is empowering. If I have any trick for getting rid of stuff it's that I don't throw anything in the bin that could go to a welfare shop or into the recycling, because it's not trash, it's stuff I no longer have a need for. That way I don't feel guilty about discarding something. Our rubbish (trash) bin rarely has anything in it. I read on one of these threads that the memory is still there, so why keep stuff in cupboards, never looked at, for sentimental reasons. That has allowed me to chuck things that I would otherwise have held onto.

I will go through my craft supplies soon. If I ever take up the same craft/s again, it wouldn't cost much to buy new stuff, and I can get rid of things that are currently just taking up space.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 24, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9095685

Thanks for writing Margaret. You might have hit the nail on the head in terms of something I am facing here too. I have many, many items that came from my folks estate. Many are on display but there are loads of things just packed in the china cabinet bottoms and are unseen and unused. I have heard for years now that it is the memory of something that has the meaning, and not always the item itself. It has just never sunk in to my dense brain that I don't need nearly as much "stuff" as I currently have.

I can't explain it but I am soon faced with doing something with a lot of items that are currently sitting around taking up space. I need to soon get to a place where I let go of things. I am growing tired of the art museum look of things here. Something to see in any direction a person looks. I have referred to some things as eye candy, or wall jewelry but that is now losing some of its appeal for me.

I know that I work best when my heart is in to something. I believe that today I will try to give some thought to how much better the house will look if emptied of some of the clutter. For some reason after reading your words Margaret, I feel as though I am in a better space to finally begin letting go. Let's hope the feeling lasts and I can take off and run with it.

I will give an update when there is one to give. Thanks for the timely tips. Please send motivational vibes my way.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9097017

Ruby ,I too am guilty of having too much stuff,filling up the shed ,and other areas...Hard not to think I might use that ,or I might paint that...Im a bit of a procrastinator at times...arrggg...but get me going and I can get alot done ...But then the AAD kicks in,then I find myself doing something completely off corse...LOL..LOL..

Sending powerful decluttering vibes your way...Geterdone...1 area at a time...pickaspot and run with it... : )

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9097086

I ran a spring cleaning swap on Sunday for our women's ministry at church...I got the idea here...
http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/entertaining/everyday-celebrations/host-swap-party-00000000013711/index.html

I had it where you bring up to 10 items to swap, whatever didn't get swapped went to various charities

this is the pic I used on the flyers

Thumbnail by flowAjen

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9098218

Jen ,great Idea swap,was it fun ??

i decluttered the Hat and glove basket...threw out mittens ,a crummy scarf...I had wear a a ear warmmer on Sunday...soo cold an windy...Thought I could put that stuffaway?? Cleaned out my sock drawer yesterday,threw away 2 -3 pairs,and gave several pr to my GD,too small after I washed them ??? They were soo cute..all vivid colors,she will love them...Every little bit Helps...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9098489

Whenever a bunch of women get together it's fun!!!!LOL

What is it with sock??? where do the mates go??? I have a pile on my dresser that I go thru once a month to see if the match turned up...how long should I keep them??? it's a real dilemma

I brought one batch of stuff from the swap to Goodwill yesterday and dropping off the rest with a family that works at a shelter today

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012

Post #9099794

LOL...Im looking for the mates to 2 pairs,brand new ones ??? Hmmm..
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9100023

Oh, such good posts. Thank you all for sharing.
Hugger,love the potting chairs. They could be used as potty chairs too,if u think about it. I have been spending too much time with the folks!

Cleaned mom n dads frdge. Filled a garbage can full of "science experiments". Mom thinks I will go to heaven for that task alone.

Sending encouragements your way and my way too!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 29, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9102323

Jen, I absolutely love the swap idea. How very cool is that? Thank you so much for sharing this and also thank you for organizing and seeing that the swap took place. That is a real ministry if you ask me. I would love to give some thought to something sort of like this and possibly swap or end up donating some of the better things that I know I will never use, but just can't justify donating outright without first having tried to sell it or gift it.

Progress report on disposing of some items...there was no progress last week. I decided to devote my time and energies to gardening versus clearing out my storage shed. Some time in the near future, my older son is coming by to pick up a dresser that is stored in my storage shed. With the dresser moved out, it will open up space for the packing I will be doing when the time comes to pack up for my new flooring that will be coming before too very long. I really surprised myself this week when I ended up choosing to garden versus shopping for new flooring. Gardening is a lot cheaper for sure. hahaha

Anyway, great to hear from everyone. Sending back vibes for productive weeks ahead.

Ruby
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 29, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9102411

I have no appointments for the next 11 days. Eleven days to do whatever I want to do. Makes me smile a very big smile.

We are in the 90s so I have been gardening for over a month. The garden is beautiful. AND, I have promised myself I will not purchase any more plants. I need to have more of my seeds planted. Once I get all the garden ship shape, I will clean up the mess I made in the garage over the winter. Yes, there will be many things to get rid of.

I take Sundays off from the garden. I will be 70 in August and I am having many talks with myself about my garden. I either need to cut back a little or move.

I still have cabinets in the kitchen full of dishes that I have not used. My daughter wants some of them but has no where to store them. And I actually have empty shelves in several cabinets so I guess I can relax. I built my home to make sure I had all the storage space for my clutter.

I think my next group of de-clutter will be my cook books.

I have two new miniature schnauzers that are going to be 10 months old on May 9th. What I was thinking, I have no idea, but they are a hand full but they are loveable and much company.

The photo is my front landscape. This will make you understand what I mean regarding cutting back. Have a great Sunday, Sharon

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9104953

Wow, that looks like Paradise! You have invested your efforts into something that has really paid off. A big hug and pats on the back to you, Sharon. You made the world even more beautiful!

I recycled the old phone books now that their replacements have arrived. ho-hum.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 1, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9106174

when I was curling my hair yesterday, I was looking for a hair pin. I opened a drawer and discovered about 10 bottle of nail polish and top coat. I have my nails done and these had to be over 5 years old. They are now history.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 1, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9106341

Sharon, your place sure does look like a paradise.

I knew I had some dried figs in the fridge and knew that they'd been there for a while. I decided to check this morning. They looked absolutely fine, but I thought with an expiry date of May 2008, they've probably lost any nutritional value they once held and they've now been chucked.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 1, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9106383

Thanks for your comments on my landscape. My secret ingredient is mulch and plants planted close together to shade the soil. I actually have an average water bill because of the mulch. But it does not look that great in August when we hit 110 degrees. And I have Australian violets that love our heat and bloom all summer. Yes, I have been told they are invasive in Australia. I have many invasive plants but being retired give me plenty of time to control them. Some are easy to just pull. I have quite a few plants that the birds have planted.

I will be 70 in August and each year my garden seems larger. I am currently under strict instructions from myself to stop buying any more plants...Sharon
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 1, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9106612

Well, Sharon, I hope you ignore your own instructions and keep on buying more plants. Your garden looks really beautiful. I wish those violets would be invasive where I am. I've tried growing them, without any luck.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9106766

Margaret,LOL,no nutritional value left...hahaha...how about just plain YUK...LOL

Sharon just reminded me ..I just gave a big bag full of nail polish to the womans shelter my SIL runs,and My old cell phone...Yay..Sharons gardens are beautiful...

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9108022

How odd! I just spent the last half-hour shaking bottles of fingernail polish. I even had hubs doing two at a time. I have a shoebox full. I don't paint my nails much, special occasions only. I use the polish for repairs to tiny chips in ceramics, jewelry, etc. I have a glow-in-the-dark one I used to paint the toggles on the light switches. Works great.

I cleaned up my bead box. Didn't get rid of anything however.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 2, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9108061

Good going, gang.

Brilliant idea about the glow-in-the-dark nail polish, Huck.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9108358

Love that glow in the dark polish idea!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9111043

I saw the glow-in-the-dark nail polish at The University of Nevada Reno's Planetarium gift shop. I bet they have it at hobby shops too.
I got the idea to paint the light switch toggles because I often turn out the lights and then have to turn them on again and can't find them because of that temporary blindness. You can't see the paint on the toggles by day as the paint and the toggles are both off-white.

Lets see, I recycled quite a bit of miscellaneous desk& paper clutter. Yawn.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 6, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9112598

Just amazingly beautiful, Better Homes and Gardens worthy picture of your front garden Sharon. Wow!!! Really beautiful. A person would never guess this was in Las Vegas desert country. Wow, wow, wow!!!

Good to see everyone participating. I can't recall anything worthy of mentioning that I have chucked recently either, so will just stop and say howdy to everyone. I am gearing up for another major de-clutter. If the shop is open tomorrow, I will be going to get the ball rolling on having new flooring installed this summer. I was given a referral and assurance that this flooring company will do right by me, so am excited to finally be talking someone who knows the business and can hopefully answer the questions I have.

Up until last week I had thought that a trip to Home Depot or Lowe's would be in the plans. Upon remember the disrespectful way I was treated some years back by a smug and know it all sales clerk at Lowe's, I have decided to go with a company who knows what they are talking about. I haven't yet decided whether it will be a paid installation or if we will try doing it ourselves, but I guess that I will know this time tomorrow.

In order for new flooring to happen, it means some major work going on around here. So many pieces of furniture and so many knick knacks and do dads all over. I have sat here for months looking around me and wondering how the heck I am going to do it all. The only answer I have come up with thus far is like the Nike commercial...just do it.

I am hoping to once again, chuck much of the clutter taking up space and serving no good purpose. This afternoon we will start taking some of the large collection of houseplants out to spend the summer. This project has been waiting for that to happen before anything can happen. From here on out is work, work, work. I will keep you folks updated.

Anyone else have any beautiful garden pics to share? Thanks for writing everyone. Always great to hear what folks have going on.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 6, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9113037

The new flooring sound wonderful, Ruby. Once it's down, you'll automatically de-clutter, because you won't want to cover it up. Do some before and after pix. I haven't got any recent photos of the garden. I'll see if I can get some in a few days.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9113680

Ruby,new flooring to look forward to...Yay...stop procrastinating...and JUST DO IT...it will be OK...and you will feel sooo much better,after you clear that 1st spot,its cake after that...you go girl...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 7, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9113722

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. What you say is true hugger...I already have thoughts of clearing many of the spaces because I want to see the beauty of the new flooring, and not be distracted by all the other things. I am getting psyched!!!

Margaret, I will try to post some pretties too when I have a chance. No fair for me to ask others to do so and I don't do it myself. Looking forward to seeing what you do down under garden wise.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9141270

Chucked an old electric skillet. I did not keep it until I bought a replacement. I put the metal lid in the recycling and the rest in the trash. Doesn't seem like much, the big deal is that I did not save it. Good for me.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 27, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9141280

Good for you, Huck.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9141426

Any chuck is a good chuck...LOL..

I had forgotten my SD was having a GS a week ago,she reminded me the day before ,,I did round up several things .
Sold a Malibu pilates chair ,2 pair of jeans,3 pr of shorts ,also a tub full of new photo frames and small albums,i cleaned those out when I did the steamer trunk of photos. I sold a few other things ,then I donated the $140.00 I made to my SD I told her go buy gorceries on us this week,they own a buisness thats very slow right now,so we try to help out when we can.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 28, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9141599

Great going Hugger and bravo for you Huck. I lower my head in shame while recalling something I did yesterday. A little background...On Saturday I finally began a process of packing up contents of my three china cabinets and another desk with several drawers full of glassware items. I will be having new carpeting installed during June and have known for months that the pack up and storage project needed doing. Nothing like waiting until the last minute to do things...but that is how I usually operate.

Anyway...all these months I have been gazing upon the contents of the cabinets and imagining that there would be many items that I would finally be ready to get rid of in some way. I was surprised that there was only one item in the first two cabinets that I considered for a day or so of getting rid of. Seems that during my major de-clutter a year or so ago, I had already ridded the cabinets of things I could live without. Anyway...

I got to the third cabinet which has covered storage at the bottom and realized that many of things in the bottom of the cabinet, were indeed things that I don't necessarily need to hold on to. I packed them any way and have decided to do the actual chucking of said items when the carpeting is installed and I am putting items back in the cabinets. Anyway...in said cabinet there was a tea pot that had gotten broken at some point and is an ugly orange color to boot. I didn't purchase this teapot but was given it as a gift at some point. Anyway...I sat it aside to throw in the trash but before all was said and done, I had talked myself in to packing it up with the idea of repairing the broken piece and spray painting another color.

This was the very perfect opportunity for me to have let go of something that I neither like too much, or am sentimental about. And look at what I did...packed it up thinking I will repair it and make it more to my liking. I am now realizing that there are all sorts of broken things sitting here, there and every where through out the house. Do any of you have ideas for helping me to let go of these sorts of things in the future. I know when I tackle a hall closet that I am going to find at least half a dozen items that I have been broken in to pieces over the year, and I have put them there with all intents of later going back and repairing them...but hence, there they sit, some for years.

What is a person to do. I hate to throw anything out that has any value or another use for it. Again, while writing this, I am thinking that I might do with these things something I have done with broken pretties in the past, and made them in to flower pot decor by sitting them in the actual soil of a plant.

Thanks folks for allowing me the opportunity to sort some of this out in front of you all. I find that often if I will just sit here quietly enough and write what is on my mind, I will often come up with solutions to whatever is ailing me at the time. This particular tea pot is too large to use as pot decor, but maybe it could be used as the actual pot for a plant.

Anyway...this particular post might have been more appropriate for the Trash to Treasure forum huh? Anyway...since having this reminder this morning of how good it often feels when chucking things, as I work through the process of storing so many of my belongings, I will have more a tendency to begin trying to get rid of some things instead of firmly trying to hold on to so much of it.

Happy Chucking All!!!

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 28, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9142308

Good for you, Tamara.

Ruby, at least the intention was there. With your broken teapot, don't beat yourself up about keeping it. Maybe put a note on your calendar for three months hence that if you haven't repaired it by that date, then you'll throw it out.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9142885

Margaret has good advice...also instead of thinking you can repair it and repaint it ,remind yourself it is Broken,and that if you need to go through all that work is the piece worth it,and or do you have the time to fix an Item you really didnt like in the 1st place.I have to do this every now and then,ask myself do you have time ,No,is it really worth it,no,do i like it so much I will loose sleep if I throw it away, NO..The most Important Do I really have room to keep it , No...It is hard for me at times, Im impulsive,so I have to stop myself and ask..It is hard at times ..But Im getting way better at it now...Good luck,cant wait to see the new flooring.Have a great day Tamara
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 29, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9143120

Thanks ladies...both some helpful tips. I know the questions I need to be asking myself about some of my items, but I don't often stop and even give thought to it. I want to hold on to everything it seems. I suppose, knowing my personality after having lived with me for fifty six years, I am one that will only address an issue when I am pushed very tightly in to a corner, and the issue is bugging the heck out of me, before I will invest the time and energy to do what ever is necessary to get me out of the issue. I suppose when the house ceases to function smoothly, and clutter is making more work for me than is necessary, is when I will tackle a clutter issue.

As long as things are running smoothly for the most part, I am not going to rock the boat and will continue to let things be. I do know that during this time when I will be addressing all the closet contents here, I will surely find things that can be let go of. I have plans of reassigning duties to different closets in hopes of things being organized better and more easily accessible. i figure that now is the perfect time for that since everything is being removed from the closets anyway.

it is great to hear success stories Tamara, so please feel free to share any and all tips that you have used to re-train your brain in order to have a better organized and smoother running household. I am all ears folks.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9149876

Ruby, what you shared about the teapot is what I go thru everyday it seems. I have a strong drive to "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". Always saving things to reuse or rehabilitate, but rarely making the extra effort to actually fix things. I have come to realize I lack confidence in my ability to fix things. I get that wierd blend of perfectionism and frustration. And I have to admit I may just like the distraction of hunting and gathering things to "fix". Is there hope for us? I hope so! ;-)

DH got a new laptop and we now have high-speed internet so...we loaded a wheelbarrow full of old techno crap and wheeled it into the shop to be dealt with later. Spent 3 days cleaning and organizing the home "office". Wow, so much better! It was almost a joy to pay the bills today. Sat at the desk and wrote a few letters to people. Much easier to concentrate. All this from a long overdue cleaning.
Went thru the books also. Let quite a few go. Don't need all those old gardening books now with DG. Even let go of "Nuts to Know for the Home Gardener" I used to get a kick out of seeing that title. 20 yrs is kicks enuf!

Keep up the good work everyone.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9150072

Nice work Huck, I`m with you on the silk purse thing..and perfection ; )

congrats on the clean office,sad about where you left the hodgepodge,but you have gained...Our recycle center takes old pc stuff.

Ive really been working very hard on keeping up on all my cluttering habits,really picking up after myself after any thing I do...I can be soo very messy..LOL..And keeping things organized,not just shoving it into the shed and quickly closing the door.Altho Ive done that again with my turtle top car carrier full of POTS...Open shove and close then run...Hhaha

I`ll leave shovels and buckets every where,wheel barrow,obsticles on the steps,hose,hand tools..GRRR..at me
so Im really working on that, I love neat and tidy,but I must admit its rewarding,and frustrating...LOL

ive been on a spray painting kick..LOL..I love it..quick rewards and cheap,Ive painted buckets,pots,shepards hooks,oriole feeders,using,lime green,bright yellow ,purple,watermellon,white. Looks like Ive bought new stuff.Love it,I hear where`d you get those cute buckets,or that lime green planter...my little secret is out..LOL..just bought 5 more cans UT OH..LOL..it was on sale its the best rustoleum 2x coverage $3 a can...I have more painting to do.

all have a great day..

rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 3, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9150155

What fun Tamara...love the choice of colors. Have fun...

Huck, good going on getting the office straightened and organized. That is a major accomplishment and is already paying off in dividends. I believe that coming to realize the reason for our way of doing things is progress in the right direction. That you are now able to see what it is about you that has added to your list of cluuter, you can now begin taking the steps that will be necessary in the process to be at a place that is more pleasing to you.

Last week while feeling the need for some motivation in terms of possibly getting ready to get ready of more clutter that resides within these walls, I found a website that I sign up for a program on. What I have read and listened to so far is right on target and I am hoping to benefit from what I learn by attempting to follow the program. I will report in from time to time with progress updates.

This particular web site author breaks clutter down in to three levels and the program will identify and teach us to realize what is clutter in our lives and what isn't and how to begin getting rid of the clutter. I am really excited but now need to find the time to actually begin the work that will be needed to succeed.

Some food for thought...Sue Rasmussen breaks down Clutter in to six levels, all needing to be dealt with eventually in order for a person to "Make room for what really matters."

Six Levels of Clutter

Physical
Time
Relationship
Body
Mind
Energy

I will share more as I learn more. In the mean time...happy chucking all.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9152788

Wow, I am looking forward (I think) to recognizing and hopefully dealing with all the clutter/excess in my life. I have successfully decluttered most of the old bod of fat, except for 5lbs. My life is absolutely better without the bad eating habits. Ok, I still have a problem with snacking, but I am mindful of it.

Hugger, thanks for relating how you still struggle to pick up after your messy self. I am not alone. I get so tired of repeating the same tasks. Years ago, my husband invited his 90yr old granny to color easter eggs with us. She did not stifle a groan at the very thought of the task. We giggled, but now I understand completely!

Went thru the maps and brochures of fun things to do in our area. Got rid of a grocery bag full. Fed it and other papers to the recycling center.
Returned a book to the community free exchange and darn if I did not find one to carry away. I was not going to do that. Better take a bag full next time.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9154284

Great Luck to you Ruby..

Thanks Huck,i think I will always be somewhat messy no matter what I do...Now just to keep myself picking up after myself when Im done with whatever project Im working on..fingers crossed. You will read that book right..LOL ; )
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 6, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9154502

Here to report that packing up a whole household full of belongings is a very eye opening experience. At the moment I am not sorting to dispose of things, but packing to get things out of the house and stored while carpet is installed. I am hoping that I love the minimalist look so well that I am particularly choosy about what I bring back in when the times comes.

I have made lots of realizations about my purchasing and amassing items though. Hopefully the new realizations will some way be able to be addressed and my need to impluse purchase can be cut back a bit. Having things moved out has allowed me to come up with new organizational plans which will hopefully work a lot better for me. One of my pet peeves is lack of kitchen storage. I have lots of handy little, time cutting appliances that I could use in some of my food preparation, but they are usually packed so far back in the few cabinets, that it is a chore to pull them out when I need them. I have made some major re-organization plans in order to rectify this after things are moved back in.

There is indeed something to be said about emptying every thing out and starting anew versus not doing so, and not opening the creative juice flow in order to come up with better ideas for doing things. It is also helpful I am finding to keep a minimalist vision of decor in my mind while this is occurring.

I also called the carpet company and set the installation date back a week. That takes a bit of pressure off of me in terms of having suffifient time to store things. I mentioned the program that I am planning to do before starting to bring things back inside and thought I would share a few clean tips that the website author shared. You folks may as possibly benefit from my enrollment. Maybe something I share will click with you and make things better for you also.

7 Ceaning tips for beginners...

1- start small
2 - finish each section before starting another
3 - give yourself sufficient time
4 - learn to identify clutter - it is clutter if it doesn't give you joy right now
5 - ignore convenient distractions...TV, using thecomputer and any other thing that will keep you from the task at hand
6 - look for what bring syou joy and surround yourself with those things
7 - Reward yourself

Happy Day to all.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 10, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9200286

I just re-read what I had written and see lots of typos. Sorry, if you don't understand what I was trying to say, I will go back and edit. And the saga continues...got the carpeting installed, really love it. It is a medium color brown and does not seem to show dog hair and soil the way the lighter colored carpet did. It is also a better quality and feels so much better underfoot.

So, with the carpeting back in, I should have been all ready to start emptying and sorting through the very many boxes of items I packed up the previous month. Right? Wrong...We spent from Friday June 29 until Friday July 6 without any power at all. With the days being in the high nineties and loww one hundreds, it took all I had just to sit on the couch and read and work crossword puzzles. With no power, there was no water, no way to cool ourselves, no entertainment with TV or Internet and no phone service to communicate with the outside world. So basically, I was set a week behind in my plans to begin getting the house back in good order. After the week with out power, it took the whole weekend for my mind and body to recover to a point where I felt like doing any thing much at all. I have health issues and am getting some age on me now, and it was truly a very rough week for me, though I did better than either my husband or I thought I would do. So, that is good.

Anyway...one of the things I did work on during the powerless week was to begin going through a couple of plastic bins that had paper in them. I went through the bins and decided what to keep and what could be shredded. By the time the power came on, I spent a lot of time using the shredder and having lots of paper scraps for the compost bin.

So, in terms of chucking, I was able to chuck a good amount of useless paper. Huck, I truly identify with having lots of travel guides sitting around taking up space. I am one of those when visiting other areas, I pick up area attractions booklets at each place. I believe at this point, I have gotten rid of most of those and we haven't traveled for a while, so I haven't amassed any more for while.

I have also started a yard sale box. I have a friend who might take my unwanted items and have a yard sale and hopefully split proceeds from it. I told him that I will supply the items, but am not well enought to offer my services in helping to run the actual sale. We will see how that works out, these items may just go to the local thrift shop and I be done with them.

For me, it has really taken something major such as new carpeting to get in to the mind of really wanting more and more things gone. It has been interesting to hear from a friend from age five who lives in a neighboring state and hear that she is currently involved in a very major downsizing of her belongings also. I looked yesterday and the boxes and boxes of books that I own. Most never touched more than about once. When bring back in furniture, I haven't yet brought all pieces that were here back in and just may not decide to. I know of two pieces I will not be bringing back and am now wondering about a bookcase that hasn't come back in yet. If I do keep the books, I will have to find another spot for it somewhere.

Anyway...enough of my on going saga. Will it ever end? I don't know. I do know that I will not be putting too much pressure on myself to return anything back inside too hastily, because I am already enjoying the extra space we have without all the things being back in yet.

Hope that everyone is able to have decent temperatures where ever you are and that life is going well and that your chucking progress is doing well also. You folks mean much to me in terms of having a place to put in black and white what is currently happening in my life.

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 10, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9200695

Ruby, I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying robust health. I can certainly understand how much the heat takes out of a person under even the best of circumstances, but when you're without power, it's crippling.

So glad the new carpet is in and that you're happy with it. Great work on decluttering. It sounds like you've made far more progress than you're giving yourself credit for.

Good luck with the yard sale.

Remember our motto: "If in doubt, throw it out".
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 14, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9204877

Thank you so very much Margaret. That little dittie is going to get written on a note paper and taped to my computer screen. "When in doubt, throw it out." Yes maam, I love it and believe that in my mind I am more at that point of being able to do just that than I have been willing in the past.

One interesting thing happened a couple of weeks ago when I contacted a girl friend who lives out of state. I have only visited her home once and was very impressed with her style of decor. She was very much like myself and has over the years amassed a tremendous amount of eye catching items that she had sitting all through her house. Hardly a bare surface any where to be seen, but it worked for her. Over the years as I have wrangled with my having much too much stuff, here there and every where, I would recall her home and how tastefully it was done. I used her home as an excuse for me to continue to have too much stuff.

Upon contacting her a month ago for some unrelated issue, she happened to mention that she is currently investing much of her time in down sizing her belongings. I almost felt it was a spiritual message of sorts in that now I have no excuse for continuing to display every item I have ever seen and loved and felt as though I had to see it each and every day. If she is at a point in which she has tired of a lot of things, I can join her band wagon and both of us can hopefully have better functioning and more inviting homes for our guests.

Anyway...you folks know that I will be keep you updated on the progress. I am not pushing matters in the heat, having health issues and just putting extra pressure on myself to do more, more, more. I am certainly going to go at a leisurely pace, because the pace of packing it all in such a hurry is not the way to live for me. What is the rush???? There isn't any rush as far as I am concerned. Only real rush will be when cooler weather is approaching and I will need to return my collection of house plants back indoors. That room will need to be empty of every thing that isn't plant related.

Again, thanks for writing with your words of wisdom today Margaret. I miss hearing from you. Hope that things are going well with you.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 22, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9215060

Everything is going very well, thanks Ruby.

A couple of days ago I took a couple of bags of mostly old clothing to the animal protection op-shop and this morning took some old, but really beautiful calendars to the local primary school.

Hope you're all managing to chuck a thing or two (other than a wobbly)
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 22, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9215151

Well I am back at it. I went through my and DH's PJ drawers. Oh my, what a collection of things he or I would never wear again. So a very large landscape garbage bag went to Goodwill.

Then the housekeepers were here on Saturday and I had them empty a large trunk I had filled with clothes hangers I might have used in th next century. They took them because they could use them.

The week before I went through our sock drawers and eliminated any non matches. The non matches are in a bag. All the laundry is done so I will go through them to see if any more matches come up and then they will go bye bye.

Anyone have any ideas who would want unmatched socks?? Sharon
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 22, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9215162

How about a group of people who make puppets and things from old socks. I don't know how you'd locate such a group - maybe through your local community centre. Well done with your decluttering.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9218969

I use single socks for rags to clean with. If it has no wear, I may stuff it with dried catnip and sew it closed. Cats love these! Or, you could stuff it with lavendar buds and toss it in your dryer to make your clothes or sheets smell lovely. Gee, I'm full of ideas, aren't I?

Removed our spa. Sold it on Craigslist! Cleaning up the area to be a screened porch.
Sold Grandma's air conditioner. Fabulous! Keep going...

Good day, every one!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 25, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9218973

Fantastic, huck. What a relief to get rid of large items, such as a spa and an air conditioner.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 27, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9220321

Great hearing from you ladies. Hi Sharon...so great to see you LOVE. Huck, they are some great ideas, along with Margaret's idea for donating to a group which might want to make hand puppets. I am thinking either boy or girl scout troops or a Sunday School group or something along those lines.

Heck, I usually just set the socks aside and will occasionally use them to do a quick dust around the house.

Hope that everyone has a great weekend. Talk to you all soon.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9224208

Just got rid of one of the those platics kids play sets with slide(you know looks like a big cube of colorful swiss cheese)(make more room for another garden☺)
also hubby took some excercise equipment to the donation center
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 31, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9224771

Way to go Jen. Doesn't it feel good to have extra space where those two items were previously? Getting rid of no longer used items always gives me some sort of lift and opens my mind, as yours has been opened and imagining the possibilities for the space. Happy Gardening. Please let me know what kind of plants you will want to start that new garden space, I can fix you right up. We are going to have a lot of things to get rid of at the Plant Swap in September, so I am hoping we have lots of takers.

Happy Chucking All. I guess my most recent chuck is some thirty and forty year old newspapers and bank documents that somehow made their way to my home some years ago when my folks gave up housekeeping. They have been stored in my shed for at least five years and I am just now getting around to shredding most and keeping copies of many of my mothers recipes that were scattered in the same box. I enjoyed going through her recipes yesterday and recalling her preparing them these many years ago. I found several that I plan to try some time soon.

Y'all take good care.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9226338

Excellent chucking, ladies! I got a chuckle out of the swiss cheese slide. I have seen those, ha ha! Hope you gave it to a giant mouse.

Ruby, I'm proud of you for getting rid of old newspapers. I don't have many, but isn't it tempting to read them again?
I am trying to get rid of books I have not yet read. I have wanted to count the number of books I have and multiply that by the month it usually takes me to read the average 300pg book. Example: 300 books would take me 300 months to read. That is 25 years! And that means no reading any new books for the next 25 yrs, as I have my 300 books waiting in the wings. This kind of thinking makes me crazy!
I listed my Encyclopedia Brittannica+21 volume Annals of America on Craigslist. This frees up at least a decade of reading.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 9, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9235792

You are so cute Huck. Gosh, you do tend to over analyze a bit huh? Oh, I did sit aside a few of the newspapers that I want to glance at.

Had hubby bring in the remainder of the bins that I packed up in June yesterday. Haven't had a chance to go through them yet, but during the packing up of items for carpet installation, three keys to my china cabinets have been misplaced. I desperatly want to find them. It will most likely be the weekend before I have time to do a key search. I am hoping that I will be able to add donate things once I get started though. We were just commenting earlier this week how much more spacious our house seems since not bringing back several pieces of furniture we had in here before. Lots nicer to walk through for sure.

Is it too early to wish you all a good weekend? Hope it is good for all.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9287573

Is it too late thank you for wishing me a good Labor Day weekend?
I have gone all summer without going to a yard sale. Steered clear of thrift stores pretty much, unless I had something I "needed" to shop for.

I am trying to think of something I have chucked and I can't. Darn! Gotta get back on the ol' Chuck Wagon.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 27, 2012
2:24 AM

Post #9287603

Huck, it's good enough that you haven't been going to yard sales, so cut yourself some slack for not chucking anything.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 8, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9299481

Hi Gals - Have to admit that not much chucking going on here either at the present. I spent literally a couple of months very involved in first of all packing up belongings to store for new carpet installation and then beginning to unpack and designate new homes for many items. I grew tired of this quite quickly and have decided to finish the project after the holidays and during the beginning of the new year. I was able to unpack pretty much every thing that keeps the household running smoothly and could possibly just donate or trash all other packed up stuff now and never miss it. I do really want to go through things again though, just need a break from it for a while.

I too think that you have made major strides Huck in being able to not shop at yard sales and thrift stores as you did before. I know that some time back, I had to put myself on a Dollar Tree diet too and just not enter the stores. I can go in with a list of maybe eight or ten things and come out owing some times in the hundred dollar range. This past year I have made a few trips back and see that a habit is very hard to break. The one saving grace is that these days I tend to buy food stuff more than gifts that often sit here for years before I get rid of them or use them.

Anyway...so glad to hear from both of you ladies. Hope that you have a great week coming up.

Ruby
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 8, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9300124

Well I am about a week well from the flu. Came out of no where and knocked me on my butt in about 20 minutes. I was down for two weeks and I am no usually down.

I had a wedding here at our home on August 12, 2012. So the two weeks before my daughter was telling me what needed to stay out and what needed to be put away. 98% needed to be put away. I have tons of storage rooms with shelves lining the walls so putting it away was not a problem. When I built this home I made sure I would have amble storage.

Now it October 8th and very little has been put back. I did place some of my treasures in new places in the house. The house is so much easier to clean and keep clean.

I spent about 2 hours yesterday rearranging the pantry. My DH does not seem to see anything unless it is at nose/eye level. So while I was moving his "special" treats, I also rearranged the cooking ingredients part of the pantry. I separated items I use occasionally vs ones I use all the time. I did that with the cupboards when I was de-cluttering the kitchen. I have no idea what took so long for the light to turn on.

Just checking in to say hello. Give yourselves big hugs. Sharon
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 9, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9300527

What a delight to see you posting somewhere that I read Sharon. Always love hearing from you and getting some good ideas from the things you share with us. Your packing up and storing away sounds much like my packing away for carpet installation...the majority of what I packed up is not unpacked and sorted yet and I have found that I don't miss or need any of it.

Glad you are on the mend from the flu. I have been hearing so many cases of folks being struck ill...does not sound like a good start for the winter. Yikes!!! Still recovering here and have three more days of the antibiotic to take. Might give doctor a call back and ask about another week or so of Prednisone to hopefully clear all the congestion out of the lungs. Not sure if he will approve or not.

Anyway...always great to see and hear from you. I think of you often and miss the days when we were in touch more. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9313658

Good to read your posts.

Now that the weather is getting cold and wet, I will be getting rid of stuff. Took 4 large trash bags full of plastics to the annual recycle round-up. They charge $5.00 per vehicle to get rid of stuff. Half of the stuff I turned in was junk picked up when I clean the roadway near my house. They were all volunteers and very nice. Good People! =^..^=

I cleaned up the carport and am going thru the 2 lumber stacks now. Hubs is very pleased with my progress.

Get healthy soon, ladies. Happy chucking!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 24, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9313978

Always great hearing from you Huck. Way to go on getting rid of things. I am just not in too much of the mood to bother at the moment. I burned out during the summer and am officially taking a long deserved break from anything major. Some years back when I lived in a different place I walked daily and would always take along a bag to pick up trash in my neighborhood. I was really surprised at the amount I would come home with some of the days. What a difference our land scape would be if walkers all picked up trash during their walks. Much cleaner and nicer surroundings for sure. Thank you for your participation in making the world a prettier place to live.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9322871

I am posting this in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Once again, we learn our possesions don't amount to a hill of beans in this world. In fact, a hill of beans has real value. A basement full of rotten and molding things does not.

Blessings and best wishes to all of you.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 3, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9323546

Thanks Huckleberry...you said one great big mouth full there. I am one who was in the storm's path, but was very thankfully by-passed, with only a few things blown around the yard and a storage cabinet that was turned over and some glass items inside were broken. It has still been too cold, windy and wet for me to actually get out yet and begin clearing up the contents of said cabinet. I do feel very thankful that our area was spared. Being half ostrich, I haven't really kept up with the areas who have suffered quite a bit more destruction, but can imagine it is quite bad in places.

Yes, it things such as this that reminds us that most everything can very easily return to dust.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 3, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9323865

That storm was unbelievable. I imagined the basket case I'd be if it was heading towards me.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 4, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9324169

Yes Margaret, it did quite a bit of damage to some of the northern states here. Thankfully, it pretty much by-passed my area and for that I am thankful. I was really surprised at my calmness during the stage where the dire predictions were being made. They closed schools here for two days, and now folks are complaining that they did so and we didn't get hit hard at all and the children could have gone. I am of the mind that it is better to be safe, than to be sorry. I believe the officials did the right thing in closing the schools after hearing the weather reports and possibility of it hitting our area much worse than it did. I know that saying prayers through out really helped in my personal case.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9325176

UGH can you imagine if there was a hoarder's house among those severely damaged, bad enough with all the junk piled on every curb

Our old house was flooded, makes me sad, I was born there, never saw anything like that
Thank God no structure damage for us or anyone in our church, God does protect his children
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 5, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9325350

Was anyone living in your old house Jen? I certainly agree about God's care during these times. I prayed throughout all the weather predictions and by golly...we didn't lose our power during this storm when all around us other folks did. I cannot explain other than to say that God heard my prayers last week.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9325479

Yes there is a guy living there and from what I hear is a very strange character
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 6, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9326031

Interesting...do tell.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9326162

They say he owns a monkey and is a little "too friendly" with it, I didn't want to know anymore!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 9, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9328710

Nor do I jen...nor do I...hahaha

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9352738

my sister wanted a monkey when we were growing up. now i will have to ask her why. ha ha
no, i take that back. i feel bad for that monkey, flowAjen!

I hauled 5 boxes of books around to bookstores. Sold one for 75 cents and another for $2.00. Was I discouraged, embarassed and/or humiliated? No! I thought positive thoughts. Best of all, I did not break down and trade for other books or stuff. The bad part is that the rejects are in the garage. I intend to donate them, but have not received an ok from the charity I want to donate them to yet.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 7, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9352758

Good for you, huck. I haven't had much to chuck lately, but I'm not accumulating, either.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9357745

Glad to hear that, Margaret.
I hauled 3 more boxes of books to the shop. She bought one. I gave her a big "Whoopee!" and pocketed the $1.50. At least we both got a laugh out of it. =^..^=
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 14, 2012
2:45 AM

Post #9357829

That's funny. Good for you.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 15, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9358935

Hi gals ------I found the very same reception in trying to get rid of books some years ago too Huck. I had a hand dolly and had to walk a couple of city blocks to the used book store where I was taking the books. It took a few trips to take in all that I had. I did leave with about thirty dollars and probably six or eight books lighter, but I was as your mentioned, a wee bit discouraged. Here it is years later and the boxes of books are still in my storage shed. They really need my attention at some point. It seems that both you and I are true book lovers and see the value in them whether any one else does or not. Oh well...

I will apologize in advance for possibly repeating myself here. I post on a few clutter free threads and forget what I say, where. Anyway...for after the holidays I plan to call an organization that is new to my community. Each month for several months now I have been receiving a flyer in the mail about this organization who benefits Veterans who will pick up household items during their trips through our neighborhood. I missed the date for this month, but can hopefully fill their truck up over the next few months as I have time to go through things.

Anyway...I at least have a plan even though not currently taking any action with it. I don't know if anyone can understand the stomach churning or belly flip flop that occurs whenever I think of getting rid of a lot of items or not. For me I suppose if I gave thought to it and wondered why my body reacts that way when thinking of getting rid of the things...the first thing that comes to mind is the wasted money on all the items that only gave me pleasure while purchasing them and no pleasure or use after that.

After becoming involved with these threads over the past couple of years, I have made one small step in curbing my purchasing habit. I try to purchase food stuffs versus knick knacky sorts of things. If you guys had been with me this last week and would be with me one day next week as I grocery shop again, you would have to admit that I do have some sort of obsession with amassing things. There are at least a dozen folks in the neighborhood that I want to do a little something extra for during the holidays to somehow repay the kindness and helping hands they have loaned us throughout the year. I decided to put together food goodie bags and now I realizing that too can run in to a lot of money and time. Anyway...

Sorry to ramble...I often figure out some solutions to my issues as I sit here and write whatever comes to my mind at the time. Just kind of thinking out loud folks.

So glad that both of you checked in and I do hope that the holidays and the season are especially joyful and blessing filled for you and yours.

Ruby
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 15, 2012

Post #9359536

I stopped buying things. It took years but I finally have it under control. Now food is another problem. I am sure we all have more than one problem.

When I was growing up as a young child, my father had one menu and the rest of the family had another. He did work hard and I now understand it but that caused my past and current hoarding problems with food. I have been concentrating on this problem head on the last few months. The reason being I throw away so much food that I overbuy. My worms in my compost pile are happy because the majority of my excess is fresh produce.

I have changed my shopping from once a week to several times a week. I have also been going to Whole Foods to get extra ingredients from their salad bar and supply my own lettuce and greens for my salads. That has eliminated a major portion of the waste.

Another problem is my husband has Parkinson, so he is eating less. I have had to learn how to not make monster dishes because he eats 1/3 of what he used to eat.

I was doing some ironing in our master bedroom closet today and ran out of hangers for DH's trousers. I started emptying my clothes that did not fit any longer into a pile. I stopped counting after I hit 30 blouses. They majority were like new and I am going to drop them by Goodwill tomorrow. They will make someone's Christmas great. I had been postponing getting rid of them for what reason I do not know, for a long time. I just got a 4 sets of new PJ's from Costco. Great price and great PJ's. Now I need to get rid of the older ones still in the drawer. They need to go in the garbage.

I have been redoing the master bedroom but very little gleaning being done. Just putting things in different places. I will take photos and ask the kids if anyone wants anything before I give them away.

Merry Christmas to you all and be safe and hopefully Santa will not bring you ANYTHING...Sharon
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 22, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9364611

Hi Sharon - I always love reading your posts. You are full of such wisdom and determination and you do me well as an example that I should try to emulate. You go girl!!! Great on figuring out the source of your food hoarding...that I can identify with. We could eat easily for several months with the food that is on the premises at the moment.

I remember when first reading your posts on the clutter free forums, you were struggling with over shopping at Costco, I believe. In the years since, it sounds as though you have taken the bull by horns and stopped that destructive practice. Good on you!!! I too tend to often lose fresh produce and it bothers me. I have read recently that the average family loses about five hundred dollars a year in bad food items. I don't think I am in that class, but every dollar down the drain sickens me.

I am seriously thinking of making some new year resolutions this year, something I have always laughed at in the past and didn't find necessary to do. I realize that the changes that need to be made in my life are up to me to change, no one else will be doing it for me. I know that two years ago I realized that I had a bad habit of buying too many bargains at the Dollar Tree Stores. I was able to really cut back but here again, have found myself spending loads and loads on food stuffs at that store. I think I am going to have to resolve to not set foot in those stores again. I did that two years ago and didn't enter the store at all. I have snuck back in, buying mostly food stuffs, but now see that too is out of control.

So, it is always great for me to hear how others are handling issues that they have in terms of clutter and hoarding tendencies. Great job on getting so many blouses out of your closet and gone where someone will get better use from them. I can also relate to only knowing how to cook for an army. I am also guilty of making too much whenever I cook something.

Anyway...together and with feed back from one another, we can all make small steps which eventually add up to something that we can actually see and pat ourselves on the back for our accomplishments. You are doing great Sharon and once again, so glad to see your post today. Merry Christmas sweet lady.

Ruby
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 22, 2012

Post #9365145

Back at you Ruby. How are the grandchildren. I had lunch today with my two oldest granddaughters, 21 and 20. They are both home for Christmas from college

I am not going to make New Year resolutions, I think I will make weekly and then monthly. Maybe I will start out with daily. Whatever works. I do know one thing I am going to do in 2013 is not purchase any plants when the area they need to be planted is not ready. I could probably support a small family with the money I waste from letting plants wither while I get around to planting them.

Another compulsion was having to have every new plant I saw. I worked on that all last year and just about have that one beat. But I may have beat that one because I have every new plant out there. (Just kidding).

May you all have a wonderful Christmas or whatever you celebrate. Hugs, Sharon in warm Las Vegas.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9369551

Sharon, were those PJs from Costco the furry ones? My egg customer came out wearing the cutest black and white polka-dot plushy PJs and recommended them. I bought a pair of lavendar and gray leopard print ones for my mom, only $13.99. I wanted a pair for myself, but will have to wait til the night sweats are history.
You are making good progress on your acquisition problems. I have also been buying more food instead of silly stuff. I have been interested in spices and low calorie flavorings. It has been fun. Anything for an adventure.

Ruby, you are doing good. I hope you all enjoyed the holidays and Happy New Year 2013 to everyone!

Oh, I almost forgot a chuck. I peeled old photos out of one of those terrible 1970's sticky cardboard albums with the brittle plastic covers, Yuck! It is raining, so I took the opportunity to burn the cardboard and a lot of old paperwork too.

Keep on decluttering everyone!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

December 30, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9370593

Hi all!

How very inspiring you all are with your ideas! I love them all. I find myself in many of you too so I can relate!I've been down with a cold since before Christmas but getting some strength back and trying to get in the swing of things.

I keep all tax related papers - bank statements, recipts for medical costs, etc., for 7 years in a large file box, filed by year. (They say keep 2-5 but actually they can request it for 7 years if ever audited). Anyway, my latest chucking was yesterday - everything from 2005, of course shredding anything important. That makes way in preparation for doing taxes for 2012. I keep an big manila envelope just inside the box but on top and whenever I have something I can use for taxes during the year, I tuck it inside that envelope. So the oldest is gone and everything is already gathered to do taxes next month when I get the forms. I learned this trick after years of hunting receipts in all the piles of paperwork to get my taxes done, then finding more after I filed that I could have used for deductions. Ugh! It is much easier now, because it is all together already.

I've had several family members health issues I've had to deal with, plus some of my own for the last few months, so in some ways I have lost some ground but I have tried to do what I could, when I could. I am so sick of looking at piles of paperwork. The greatest evil for me. No other words can describe it. I hate it, I put it off and it is nothing short of monsters! It makes me cringe!! Though I have quit making more piles I am culling through years of crap of both my own and from my Mom since she has passed away. I boxed it all up and then try to go through one box at a time. They are disappearing one by one, but it is a slow process.

I don't have a problem with mail or bills, thankfully. I take the mail when it comes in, trash the obvious junk, set down right then and write checks for any bills that came so they are ready to mail, mark the check number and date on the receipt, file it until next month and it's done. The only exception is grocery store sale papers. I lay them by my couch and read them while I watch TV that night then trash them. I make notes as to which stores have what on sale, particularly half price stuff. I have 6 different chain stores within 5 miles so I often shop at more than one that week. I don't buy it because it IS half price, but if it is things we use, then that is WHEN I buy it and have it in storage. I mark all cans on top with the date purchased and rotate what is on my pantry shelves so I use the oldest first. That way there is always whatever I need not only in stock, but I bought it at half price. I also buy laundry and cleaning supplies at half price as well as paper towels and toilet paper. Honestly I don't pay full price for anything and it really helps the budget.

I read some of you feel you have a food clutter issue. I say - think again. You may have a probem with what you buy if it's produce, but beyond that, food is not clutter. We were affected by Hurricane Sandy, thankfully not bad. Our home is fine, we lost some tree branches, and lost power. However, having stored food and water we had everything we needed and ate great using the gas grill as I have an electric stove. In fact, the people in NJ were helped most, not by FEMA, but preppers in the area who had plenty of food and water on hand. So think about being hit with a bad storm, be it a hurricane or a large snow/ice storm. Are you prepared to ride it out? Do you have alternative ways to cook and heat your home? And mostly, do you have plenty of food and water?

Yes produce easliy goes bad if you buy too much but here's a little trick for most of that too. Take a plastic container and whenever you have leftover veggies from supper dump them in and freeze. If you have some celery, onions or whatever starting to go bad, clean and cut out the bad, chop and toss into the container (maybe even sauté it first) and freeze it. Pretty soon you'll have a great combo of veggies ready for a pot of homemade vegetable soup from a lot of what you might have just tossed.

Another thing to keep in mind is this...I don't want to get political so I'm only sticking to the food issue. But many things right now point to troubled times &/or food shortages/higher prices ahead. Last year's drought for example has yet to show up on the shelves price's, but it will come spring. Take your extra money you would have spent on more junk and put it into food. If done wisely and rotated, it will not go bad and is something that you will use. If you should have an emergency it's there. It's doesn't have to be a storm or some natural disaster either. Consider, heaven forbid, a family illness and you don't have time to go grocery shopping. If it is there you have no problem. Whether you have supplies for an extra week, month, year or longer is totally up to you. Yes it could get out of hand, but if you think about just having the necessities to carry you through whatever time period you set, it not only makes sense, but is smart.

This to me was an encouragement to declutter useless stuff. It made room (and money) to build a nice pantry. One we've already used to fall back on twice. Once with hurricane Sandy and also these last few months when I have had family health issues and I was the only one able to do for them and drive them everywhere. No time or energy to shop too. Thanks to planning ahead I'd grab a loaf a bread, some milk and a few things in produce and be out of there.

Just some food for thought (pun intended). Perhaps you might want to keep it in mind as you get rid of useless stuff, think in terms of what serves you better. Things are just that - things. Too often they don't serve us, but we serve them. I think there is something wrong with that way of thinking and believe me I have been in that mind frame too long and working my way to change it.

May we all have a happy, blessed and clutter-free New Year!
Debbie
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 30, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9370957

Debbie, good thoughts. Great idea on writing dates on the cans. I put the new in back and move the old forward but It would be a lot easier if the date was easier for me to see.

I also like your idea for the left over vegs. My DH loves vegetable soup.

I have no appointments this week so I am going to rearrange my freezer. Then I am going to cook whatever is in the freezer until about 1/2 is gone. To cold for me to be outside but I do get cold if it gets below 70 degrees. Spoiled.

I have a beautiful pantry. And I always have rice ,dried beans, pasta and canned tomatoes extra. One thing I do not have is water. I do need to work on that.

Happy New Year Everyone. Sharon

PS: my PJ drawer is cleaned out.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

December 31, 2012

Post #9371213

Good job Sharon!

Yes, that is how I rotate my canned goods as well - new in the back, pull the rest forward. Dating the can/jar tops just helps me see them easier for when I am rotating. (old eyes LOL)

One thing to consider in your water storage is keeping it bacteria free. and safe to drink. If you do not have a high grade manual (no power) water purifier, then here is what you need to know...

(1) Standard Beach or Clorox is about 70 years out of date. Please do not use Clorox unless you have nothing else! At best - it will cause diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, at worst, bleeding ulcers. Your great, great, grandmothers might have used this product because it was all they had to make water pure, but this is not true today. The part of Clorox Bleach they sought was Chlorine. That is the part we want.
If you store water for over a year, treated with bleach, all the chlorine leaches out and the water becomes no good. What is left is untreated water, full of dyes and chemicals, which can cause intestinal problems.

(2) Spend $10 for STRAIGHT Chlorine, called pool or spa sanitizer, or something similar. It should have 97% SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE -. Which is straight chlorine. Chlorine is the way almost all cities treat their water –it is very cheap and works - available at any spa & pool store. WARNING: !!!You must get 97% or above or it could make you sick!!!

(2a)You ONLY need 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon, to sanitize a 55 gallon barrel. It will not leach out, and will not hurt you. It will last indefinitely. WARNING: DO NOT USE MORE!!!
(2b) Purchase a Pool Chlorine measuring kit to test your water….. It is very slow acting, so you will need to allow time for it to work. It takes about 24 hours to work, you will need to Repeat the process if there is no measurable free floating chlorine.
(2c) To remove the Chlorine taste, before you drink it, Leave the cap OFF for 24 hours, and the chlorine will evaporate out. You should let it sit, exposed to air, for 24 hours before you drink it anyway, for the best taste.
(2d) Be sure to measure for chlorine BEFORE you allow it to evaporate. If there is no measurable chlorine, there may still be bacteria in the water.

Now, I also keep untreated water in empty laundry, bleach, fabric softener, whatever jugs too. I have a well, so without power this can be used to flush toilets, along with rain water. The water in laundry jugs is great for washing hands or clothes too. Oh and obviously not for long time storage, but if you know trouble is coming, you can fill the bathtub for lots of water.

With all the wacky weather and things going on like they are - don't be scared, be prepared. Just be safe in doing so!

Tee-hee my PJ drawer is cleaned out too. Must have been on the same wave length!

Best to all!
Debbie

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

December 31, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9371218

Oops! I mean to link the info I posted and forgot -

http://www.disasterstuff.com/store/pc/catalog/facts-about-water.pdf
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 31, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9371363

Hi again all - Can't say that I have done much chucking wise the past little while. That is soon to change. I made a pact with myself to begin a major clean up after the holidays. I am going to claim the rest of this particular week as the holidays, and will begin next Monday to address the mess. Again, it is all a process, done one thing at a time and will eventually get to where we want it. I can look around at my environment and see some good changes since a year ago. Having carpeting installed and having to pack up all belongings in order for that to happen has really made a big difference in how things looks here. It is not as badly cluttered as it was before. Some pieces of furniture never made their way back in, and haven't really been missed, so that opens up space.

Oh yeah, we would be hard pressed to say that we didn't have anything to eat. The same as Huckleberry, my shopping outings for a year or so now have included more food stuffs versus junky knick knacky stuffs. That is definite progress on my part. As lovetopaint is pointing out in disaster preparedness thoughts, we are soon to be the owners of a whole house generator system. We had a period during the sweltering hot days of early July without power for a solid week. I decided right then and there that never again would I be at he mercy of nature. Soon after the storm and no power we contacted the sellers of the generators and they were so back logged with orders and installation that it will be mid January before ours can be installed. Whenever I hear the wind blow, I pray that we keep power. There is nothing like that hot weather was for someone who is ill to start with. Cannot and will not do that again.

I know and have been forewarned that when the generator installation begins the installers will need to get in to the plant room which also serves as my food cabinet room to access the power fuse board and to install another one. At the moment the area in front of that area is piled high with extra food things that won't fit in the cabinet which is holding mostly canned goods. I will have to begin addressing the storing of those items soon so the men will have space to work in that filled corner. Need to make note that this probably needs to be done before I get in to any thing else, because this has a deadline, when the other things don't.

As always, great to hear from everyone. I will close today by wishing each of you and great new year ahead. Let's hope we can all report 2013 as being one of our very best ever. Take good care all.

Ruby
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 31, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9371404

I have a swimming pool full of water. I guess that water would be fine unless some how it was contaminated.

I will return. Just came on to check on someone's husbands health progress and checked in here. Happy New Year...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 1, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9372196

Waving hello to Sharon way across the country.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013

Post #9374784

Thank you for sharing your interesting ways with food. We mark all of our purchases with month and year. It helps. Anything more than a year in the freezer gets thrown to the chickens.

I have 2 large buckets full of broken glass. I pick it out of the soil as I garden. Some of it is pretty. I have saved it to make some kind of mosaic, but I haven't in 20 years. It goes to recycling in the morning.

Stay safe and warm.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 3, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9374821

Currently I am working on our master bedroom. I cleaned out my smaller armoire today. It is where I keep cards received, stationary, and some things I did not know where to store.

Today I went through the cards and pitched the majority of them. I combined the writing paper, notes and stationary all into one box. That made 50% more space available.

I also had some old belts, hair barrettes, all occasion cards that I added to the goodwill bag.

In going through the cards I found a legal size white envelop and looked inside and found a hundred dollar bill. Probably from tenant rent. He always pays in cash and in hundreds. I probably put it in there and missed $100 when I took it out to take it to the bank. Of course, Vern said it was his. I told him to prove it...

I am now moving to the laundry room. I still have the master bedroom closet but that is an enormous closet and there are boxes of shoes I will never wear again and things like that. I want to do something I will see every day. Closet can wait until later in the year but before it gets warm and I head outside to garden. As I am de-cluttering I am also cleaning.

My poor puppies do not lay down as long as I am moving around so they were up and about all day. Right now they are asleep on the couch and have not moved since their dinner.

I got on here late. I have a self inflicted busy day tomorrow so I am heading to bed. Thanks for all the info on the food. I am going to hit the kitchen after the laundry room. Probably next week.

Hugs, Sharon
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 7, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9378140

Huckleberry, I hope by now the glass has been taken to recycling center. Probably a smart move on after twenty years admitting that you aren't going to see the original plan through. I must confess to having the same sorts of things though, not glass per se. Thank you for continually sharing the progress you have made over the last couple of years as you face your issues and then take the steps to correct them. What fun to hear of your weight successes and the other things that you have taken contol of as you work bit by bit to make your environment more pleasing to your eye.

Sharon...you go girl!!! You are a bundle of energy it seems. Puts me to shame for sure. How exciting to find a hundred dollars. Cool Beans!!! I always open envelopes and things too. I know that when my mother began experiencing some dementia issues, she would often put money in pages of the phone books. I too have held on to many greeting cards over the years and have only this past year begun getting rid of some of them. I shred most of them and my does a little leap as they are inserted to be chewed up, but the house would be over run if I tried to hold on to each one that was special...because they are all special in some way.

I need the encouragement of you folks in order to stay motivated to do what I need to do. Thank each of you who takes the time to share each little triumph you have. I glory along with you as progress is made. I know that I have moved a lot of clutter out of here the past two years and I also know that there is a lot more that needs to go. Again, the way it will be done is one thing at a time, slowly but surely. Thank each of you who participates and encourages each other to our common aim...one of living in a more pleasing environment. Thanks ladies...

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9389817

Happy New Year everyone. Keep on chucking in 2013!

I did hoist those two buckets of broken glass into the recycle bin. They made a very satisfying crashing sound. Must have weighed 35lbs each. I have another bucket ready to go. They are using the crushed glass for roadbeds at the county transfer station (the Dump).
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 19, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9390720

I finally have the cook books out of the cabinet and laid out on a table in the great room. I am going through them tomorrow. A few my granddaughters want but the rest are going by by.

I also have 6 eye glass cases that are going. They are in a box but my friends have told me Goodwill has to many already. Anybody have a secret use for them.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 20, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9391176

I keep my sunglasses in an eye glass case in the console of the truck and another pair in the Jeep to protect them from scratches.

My sister in law uses a plastic one for her purse to hold Tampons. That way, even if seen, no one knows what's inside.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 21, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9393048

Just wanted to check in and show you what I started today. I am reorganizing my total kitchen while de-cluttering.

First photo is cookbooks. Second through 4th are dishes and appliances in the kitchen cabinets.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9397797

Hi Sharon! Are you weeding these items out? Looking forward to your "after" photos. You have some fun things. Love the old Betty Crocker cookbook. I have one also.

I dumped another bucket of collected broken glass into the recycle center bin. CRASH, love that sound now.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 26, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9397981

No I kept about 10 cookbooks. I have had the old Betty Crocker cookbook for ages.

Those photos showed all the items that were housed in the kitchen cabinets. Look t all those glasses for 2 people. But we used to entertain big time.

Below is the finished product. I worked on this 5 days straight with a male helper. We kicked butt. Everything was cleaned and rearranged by he way i use the kitchen. Of course, my DH will not be able to find anything. Third photo is dining room. This tale was piled high also.

We had water damage to the hickory wood floors due to an angle stop failure and thank goodness for insurance. Restoration started 10/18/2012 and ended yesterday 1/24/2013. Thank goodness for State Farm. Five dollar part caused over $50,000 in damage.

I have a new friend. Bar Keeper's Friend. Absolutely wonderful product.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon      

rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 6, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9410218

What a lovely home you have Sharon...the kitchen seems huge!!! Of course, mine is miniscule but serves the purpose. Thank you so much for sharing your progress. Pictures are always fun. Woman, you really did have a lot of cookbooks. I am not too bad about having too many of those as they never really held a lot of interest for me. I do know that the individual recipes I have need a better system as I now keep them all inside of a gallon freezer bag and have to go through them all to find the one I am looking for.

I too have spent the past ten or so days working my behind off getting together donations for a charity that will come here to pick things up tomorrow. I made some good progress even though I must admit to still sitting aside a lot of items that I think I can make a buck off of later when I have the time to invest in running ads and such.

Huck, I know the glass was special to you and that it hasn't been easy to get rid of it. Getting rid of it is like admitting defeat over a dream you have had to do something with it. Before I started the actual nitty gritty of putting things in bags, I spent a lot of research time on the computer reading about reasons de-cluttering is so hard for us. Giving up on dreams we once held is a big reason many of us hold on to things that are serving no good purpose at the moment. Don't feel alone in that because during the past ten days I too have finally admitted defeat and let go of some craft ideas I have held on to for much too long.

I have really become aware of my bad shopping habits too. It has been sickening to see the brand new books leave here without a page ever having been turned. The makeup I got together the other day is also a place where I have spent a load of money and haven't worn makeup in fifteen years. Different cleaning gadgets unopened another area that I have overspent on. I could list more and more. I suppose if I learn from this, I will do better in the future and this amassing will some day be but a memory rather than a problem to be dealt with almost constantly.

Anyway...thanks for checking in ladies. Will catch up all soon I hope. Happy de-cluttering!!!

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 6, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9410802

Hello everyone. I'm sorry I've been absent, but have been ridiculously busy. I chucked an electric fan which was just over a year old. It was still in perfect working order, but was always noisy and really ineffective. Also chucked a small analogue television - from April the analogue signal will be turned off.

Ruby, have you ever tried visualising whilst your out shopping just what you're going to do with items you purchase once you get them home? I find it a useful strategy. . With, for example, make-up that you are on the point of buying, ask yourself: "When will I put this on my face?" If you can't give yourself a good, solid answer, leave it where it is. Use the library rather than buy books and magazines. Self-awareness is a powerful tool and you have loads of it. You have made enormous headway in your efforts to declutter your life and are to be congratulated.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 29, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9644737

While on the Clean and Clutter Free forum page today, I saw the Daily Chuckle Thread and wanted to drop in and say hello...it has been a long while since anyone has posted, so I hope by my posting, it will encourage others to check in and let us know how life has been treating you...Margaret...I miss hearing from you. Hope that things are going well for you and that life is all that it can be for you.

I recently had a visit from a former school friend, a million years ago who has now been living in Australia for about fourteen years...having married an Aussie. She was home to attend a naval graduation of her oldest son. Anyway...she loves the country, but shared some things with me about the country and its politics that I found quite interesting and so different than our political system...anyway...

Let's see...I guess it is some years later from when this board was more active and I would take such delight in coming in and hearing about the things that folks had chosen to chuck in the trash...It helped keep me motivated and also allowed me to take credit for even chucking the smallest of things, because as we know, even the smallest things can take on a life of their own if aren't ever diligent about getting rid of more than we need of any given object...

Saying that, I would love to hear from folks who used to be active in here...any bites?

Ruby
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9645134

Partly inspired by Cajun, I am chucking many thingz every day, both large & small. My mantra is "Do I want to move this again?"
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 29, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9645310

Hi Ruby. Good for you resurrecting this thread. Everything is good here. Where does your friend live? Politics is very interesting indeed. I suppose she told you that we have a Federal election on September 7.

My most recent chuck was yesterday when I put a brand new pair of rain boots in the op-shop bin. They were perfect - apart from the fact that they killed my poor tootsies. I haven't had much else to chuck and I'm certainly not accumulating, which is even better.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 29, 2013

Post #9645442

I am still chucking but do not have that much left. Like Margaret, I have learned not to accumulate new things.

Hope all of you are healthy and safe.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 1, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9647688

Wow, so very great to hear from Sharon and Margaret...yippie...old homes day here...What wonderful reports from you two. Oh my gosh, I haven't learned my lesson as well as you two have...I keep bringing stuff in. I believe that I am getting better on that end too, because if truth be told, that was the basic lesson we all needed in the beginning...STOP bringing things in. I am better for sure, but slip up on occasion.

Once again my home is under a major painting project...that is meaning a lot of moving things around and unpacking closets and cabinets again, after just doing it last year when we had carpeting installed...do we see a theme here? Anyway...I am taking the opportunity to do some very needed deep cleaning as we proceed forward...I am also thinking of not bringing or putting back all the furniture that I had in different rooms before...With this major re-do of things, I am hoping for a more spacious and not so cluttered look. Only I can do that too. I want the house and different areas to function at a better level than they have in the past...I will be giving lots of thought to where each piece of furniture is located and what it will be used for...if it doesn't have a use, it doesn't belong.

Summer, I like your way of thinking...do I want to move this again? That is a good way to look at things...do you have moving plans being made?

Anyway...thanks for the success reports today, I needed to hear them and I am so happy that things are going well for you gals. Stay in touch.

Ruby
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9647873

Ruby, your spaces will be much more beautiful once they are thoughtfully arranged.

Yes, I was supposed to move back to Illinois sometime in the last year to be with my honey but ... Jack is unexpectedly leaving NYX at the end of September. Well, maybe unexpected isn't the word at this point since he accepted a severance package back in January, but when he built my GarageMahal at the river house in Kankakee (south of Chicago) last fall, we were expecting him to work 2-3 more yearz. Suddenly that was not the case so we weren't sure what to do. And the severance deal initially had him working only thru June, but then they made it worth his while to stay 3 more months so ... as his planz kept changing, I just quietly kept forgetting to call about movers. I'm not 100% convinced that those crazypants at the exchange won't make it worth his while to stay on a bit more and in the meantime I'm not leaving my lovely garden at the height of its beauty.

But in the larger picture, his not being tied to that job erases some of the impetus for my moving to Illinois. He is coming out here for most of October & I expect we'll make some decisionz then.

OK, the end.

Thumbnail by summerkid

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 15, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9660405

Summer, yet another case of things working themselves out without a lot of uproarance from us...sucks that Jack is in a position of being pulled in different directions...pretty smart of you to have a feeling that something like this might occur...I neither would want to leave a place with things I love dearly...As I often tell my son...yes, frustrations and aggravations in life are pretty darn hard to walk through and to know what to do next...but, I do know the end of the story, and the end of the story is good...all will have worked itself out in the best way usually without us getting too much torn up over it...go with the flow...don't sweat the small stuff and it is all small stuff...much easier to say some days than others ...but I have earned each little bit of peace of mind I have these days...spent too many years worrying and fretting and all I got from that was headaches and a chronic illness...Nope, I decided some years ago that my second half of my life was going to be better than the first half, so it is up to me to learn to deal better with let downs and try to remain joyous even while the world falls down around me...

Did make a major step two days ago that will get me started setting rooms back up...I ordered a chaise for my son's former bedroom and my new lounge craft area...it should be here on Wdnesday and then I can begin setting things back up the way I want them...without having the chaise here to work around, it wasn't much sense in trying to set up other areas that may need to be moved when the chaise arrives anyway...

Now, each of you ladies has my permission to give me a good swift kick in the hind end if I am still talking about sitting these rooms up two from now...it definitely needs to be done soon, because my houseplant hoard needs a winter home soon.

Best of luck with whatever and whenever it happens for you summer...I am sure that you will do whatever is done with a smile on your face...thanks for writing.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 16, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9661974

Ruby, I don't think anyone following this thread would be in a position to give your a good swift kick in the hind end. It sounds like your doing remarkably well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America