-
AuthorContent
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 17, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8812505

This hosta was not on my wish list when I visted a local nursery to buy Heuchera 'Autumn Leaves' at 40% off. 'Little Miss Sunshine' is supposed to stay yellow all season. The newer foliage was a lovely yellow, the old growth a bit greener. If you have pictures of hostas with red petioles, please post them.

Thumbnail by irawon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8818577

I really like that, sounds like you got a good deal too! :)
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 22, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8819214

Yeah, I hope LMS provides a little oomph to the bed as both 'Fire Island' and 'Paradise Island' turn green. 'Avocado' also in that section of the bed (planted last year) has remained a disappointment to me as it has remained totally green. I thought it was supposed to be an improved 'Gaucamole'. I may replace A with something else..

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011 11:20 AM

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8819891

I like the way the new growth is yellow and the old growth is green and the legs are red! This is such a colorful Hosta! Seems like a must have for every Hosta garden, it's going on my list for sure (next year). I am so bad, just ordered another 16 hostas from Hostas Direct, huge sale and I got some mature divisions for 3.99 and I got some other stuff. Stay tuned for 'Picture Time'. :)
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 22, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8820062

Lucky you on two counts! I've never seen mature divisions for $3.99 in our neck of the woods. You also have a longer planting season in zone 8a. I'm still switching a few things around in zone 5b and hope with mulch they won't heave. Curious, what did you order this time?

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8820277

Well thank you! I was rather shocked myself when I got an email from them about a Huge blow-out sale and I jumped right on it. One of the best things I have done is register with all the company's I wish to do business with and I get the newsletters, seems like a lot of junk most of the time but once in a while it pays off! :)

2-Fragrant Bouquet-M/D
2-Regal Splendor-M/D
2-Sagae-M/D
1-September Sun-M/D
1-Sun Power-M/D
1-Paradigm-Adv.Starter
1-Rainforest Sunrise-Starter
1-Eternal Flame-Starter
1-Atlantis-Starter
1-Paradise Island-Adv.Starter
1-Patriot-free starter hosta

Sorry, that's 14 plus they give you a free starter Hosta if you spend a certain amount and I picked out Patriot because all I have is a liner and it is not doing that well, but I'll wait and see what happens. So what do you think, most of these I fell in love with on the Hosta Forum and some I already have but they are small liners and I know I will love the big ones and it will give me something to anchor the beds. I also intend to share on the trade list or swaps and I will get more stuff I want that way. Sounds like a plan! :)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8820567

Irene - both my 'Paradise Island' and 'Fire Island' stay quite yellow all season. Do you have a sunnier spot where you could put them? One year I had a second division of FI in a shadier spot and it turned quite green.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 23, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8821326

Virginiarose
I love my 'Regal Splendor' and it is doing great. Imagine two.

I planted my 'Sagae' in 2007 but only one weak eye came up this spring. I dug up S recently. The roots were well developed but apparently were not getting enough nutrients because of competing tree roots. I will fertilize regularly next year and hope for improvement. I bought 'Super Sagae' for another bed.

I love 'Sunpower' and it remains yellow all summer.

'Paradigm' is lovely.

My 'Rainforest Sunrise' has grown really well.

I've had trouble with 'Patriot', once again because of tree root competition. I love P in other people's gardens.

'Paradise Island' was lovely in the spring. Still an attractive plant but not as yellow later in my garden.

I don't have the others in your list.

ViolaAnn

I still like 'Paradise Island' and 'Fire Island' in their present location. I just needed a second hosta ( besides 'Dancing in the Rain') that would brighten that section of the bed.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2011 11:36 PM

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2011
2:23 AM

Post #8821567

Thanks for the input, I have never heard of 'Super Sagae' how is it different from regular Sagae? I am really excited about that 'Sun Power' , It will be like a specimen plant for my corner garden, there is a border on one side that is all Grand Tiaras. I am going to rearrange some stuff when I take a vacation at end of the month, and I will try to get the yard ready for the winter. Hopefully next spring I will have some nice pictures to share. :)
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 24, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8822470

Virginiarose, I believe 'Super Sagae' has a wider edge.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8822960

Do you have a picture of 'Super Sagae'?
Got another email from HostasDirect they re-listed a couple of things they said was out of stock. So, I ended up getting mature divisions of Lunar Orbit and Elegans. Also picked up a couple of Fire Island's, advanced starter and a Summer Breeze starter Hosta. WhooHoo!
They said they are not going to carry mature divisions any more, and that is why these are on clearance. So again I got the mature divisions for 3.95 and the advanced starter for 7.95 and the regular starter for 5.97.
There is only one more thing I really wanted this year and that is 'Cathedral Windows' , I will probably get it from NewHampshireHosta because They have Great Expectations for 6.50 on sale and that's a three year plant! I love GE and I only have 2 liners, they are so beautiful though, I really wanted a big one. :) Then from Hallson's I am getting two 'Brother Stefan's' as a birthday gift for my brother, and I am getting a few of the white re-blooming Irises. (the irises are buy-one-get-one right now, sorry I do not know if they do Canada)

Susan
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 25, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8823587

Sorry, Virginiarose, I didn't take a picture of 'Super Sagae', which was only planted this past May. I'd take a picture for you now but S bit the dust here in zone 5b, I don't know for sure, but I think SS might have a wider margin. It was 'Sagae', that got me interested in growing hostas again.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8824312

Well, I didn't find it on PlantFiles and not any of the regular nurseries but I did 'google' it and saw a picture and it is certainly stunning. I really love it, can't wait for spring!
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 27, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8826881

Virginia rose , I was going through my hosta pictures again for a selection of hostas for my brother, when I did come across a picture of 'Super Sagae'. Here it is as the center of attraction. I probably would not have bought 'Super Sagae, had my 'Sagae' grown well but I don't think it was 'Sagae's fault, rather than the location it was planted in. I think you will be very happy with 'Sagae'. BTW I dug up 'Sagae'. It had excellent root growth but I think the competition of the maple tree roots stunted its upper growth. I chopped away some tree roots and amended the soil. 'Captain Kirk' in the same vicinity is doing very well.

Thumbnail by irawon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8827025

Thank you irawon, that is very pretty. If root competition is a problem you can plant them in pots and then plant the pots. I love Captain Kirk mine is in a planted pot. I read somewhere that slugs don't link pine needles, If that is true you have ideal conditions! :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America