Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mosaics and Stained Glass: I want to learn this technique! beginner 101

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 11, Views: 180
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8813333

I love the glass on glass and have several window panes. I also love tables with tiles. I have googled some sites but it seems very expensive to get into. I have saved wine bottles, any colored vases, booze bottles, etc in hopes of getting to this project.

Is breaking my own glass going to work? I don't want to start a hobby that is very expensive but my garden is full and I'm ready to find a new project.

Any beginner 101 links, tips or information is greatly appreciated.
Kathy
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8813983

You can always ask at tile stores and places that make countertops for their broken bits and cut-offs. For glass, the glass replacement shops have plenty of broken glass to mosaic with and sometimes you can find restaurants or bars that will let you pick through their bins of bottles - that is a good way to get different colors.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8814018

Kathy, here are a couple of free instruction sites to get you started:

http://www.quirky.co.nz/dcms/pages/beginner_notes.mv

http://www.mosaicartsupply.com/online_mosaic_instructions_guide.htm
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8823480

Hi Kathy.
I also use recycled glass have a few people that save it for me .. the law here doesn't allow the bars to save it for my use .. kind of crazy .
but anyway as its free just start playing. you can't mess up
to use your own glass you may need a tumbler to get rid of the sharp edges.
check the T2T thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/825740/

https://www.facebook.com/MetamorphosisUpcycledRectcledGlass?v=wall
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2011
10:37 PM

Post #8824196

Sounds like I may need a tumbler but this seems like another huge expense. I don't know what I want to do - I want to try mosaic glass on glass but I would like to sell pieces or give as gifts. Is it really worth the effort for sales?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8824515

you can pickup a tumbler for about $40.00 or check on ebay or craigs list ... I do sell some but it wouldn't pay the bills ... there is a learning curve I know many that want to start doing & selling ... glass can be a high$$$$ hobby so thinking you can sell to play doesn't always work
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 18, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8854726

I have an idea for making some nice pieces using regular float glass (window glass) and you can color it by painting the back of the glass, use the electrical foil tape that the electricians use on the back, and then using those pieces as your colored glass till you build up some savings to get more glass and colored glass. I can't think of other flat glass that would work, broken wine bottles are curved, and rocks can be sharp, but there are very wonderful mosaics made out of pebbles, shells, old costume jewelery, broken dishes, marbles, flat blobs, I even used buttons, chopsticks as dragonfly bodies, etc.. once you make a few and maybe sell a couple, you will find other items to use, and mosaic bottles, and I even saw a pattern today of all days, where they made a great mosaic on a flat rock, they drew a turtle, then used found items and glass, so there are many things to start off with, with a low start-up cost.

And don't forget, your patterns are basically free for downloading and printing on the internet, many free pattern sites around, and if you can draw, the sky is the limit.

Good luck and have fun.

A.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

January 3, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #8953769

I have had great luck finding china, glasses, doodads, etc. at my local Salvation Army. I might find one dinner plate with a beautiful pattern and buy it for maybe 50 cents. Then I'll go home and crush it to pieces. Ok, not exactly crush, but you get the drift. The other day I was ambling along a fairly upscale part of town and noticed that a store was going out of business. I bought a huge bag of sea shells for $1. I've even had good luck with old, interesting buttons, game pieces from Monopoly, etc., a few Mah Jong tiles, a few dominos, and the list goes on. I even got an arm from a small doll. Some day I'll find the perfect place for it. Anyway, you can tell I'm a big spender. :) And I love Gourd's idea of using chopsticks, altho I can only imagine what she means by 'flat blobs'. Happy hunting!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #8954522

tx_flower_child .. we need pictures PLeaseeee
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #8954731

DITTO!
^_^
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

August 14, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9241677

Oops. I obviously haven't looked at this thread for awhile. I didn't realize that some of y'all wanted pix. That will be difficult as I don't have a camera, but will post if I figure out how. In the meantime, here's another cool idea. (I know this was supposed to be about glass, but I'm choosing to ignore that.) If you are designing something that has hair, as in a person or possibly a small animal, brightly colored rubber snakes and worms make great dreadlocks! My best haul has been from my favorite store in Dallas, BettyAnn and Jimbo's Junkadoodle. In a pinch I might spend a little extra and buy a few new snakes and worms. But most new ones run about $1 each, which is way more than I pay at the Junkaddodle. (Sorry about showing off. But is that a good name for a 'used junk and fleas' store or what?)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9244798

Gotta keep up with you

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America