AuthorContent

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8813515

thunder asked about directions for the 'hearts'. This is how it came about... In 2006 or so Fons and Porter did an episode that had a Peek-A-Boo crib quilt in it. 900 series #905. I was enchanted and had to try it. Haven't finished it yet of course... Here is what I did. Made a pattern from a saucer of the size I thought would work, traced it on the back of my focal fabric, layered focal fabric, backing, and batting, sewed all around on the line. Yes, all around. Trim close to stitching. Made a paper pattern same size, folded it in fourths, drew a line from point to point making a square pattern. Using the square pattern to determine where to draw a line to show where to make the slit in focal fabric for turning. Slash just the focal fabric. You may have to to use a pin to lift the fabric away from the backing.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8813520

Turn the 'pancake' inside out. The purple thang works really well for turning, or a crochet hook or what ever you have. You can sew a bunch of pancakes and turn them while you're watching tv. Press, trying to get a nice circle. Using the square pattern, mark your stitching line. Take another 'pancake', putting back sides together so it looks like you just have one pancake, sew them together.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8813528

What you want to do is to have the 'turning slit' to the outside of the stitching line, so that when you turn down the 'lip' and sew it in place the slit will be hidden. It is so cool and fun.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8813530

I have a lot of brights and kid stuff, which I like ,too! I think I used a button hole stitch here to sew the lips down. We all have lots of decorative stitches on our machines so finding a good one should not be a problem.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8813543

Oops, forgot the photo. As I mentioned before before, I got this from Fons and Porter's 900 Series. I have no idea how big this particular quilt is going to be whenever I finish it. I'll know when it gets there... I thought I had another photo but it seems I had the camera on video... sigh...

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8813545

I made a couple of cat quilts from leftovers. I used a bigger circle and just two fabrics. Just thing of the possibilities!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8813546

Another one with just two fabrics

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8813566

Several years ago I ran into a gal name Charlie at a Rusty Barn Show in Tucson. She has taken the pancake idea even further. She calls it "Less Than Traditional". She has a book and several different patterns. Very cool lady. Any way, she has a quilt shop in Las Cruces, New Mexico, called Quilters Haven. Web site http://www.quiltershaven.net
e-mail quiltingwithcharlie@msn.com phone (505)526-9960
Very clear directions and lots of creative ideas. I made the placemats for the swap from her patterns. This is one of them.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8813570

Another one. I keep experimenting with color placement.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8813579

And then, I took a class for this one with a gal named Donna Sylvia at the quilt shop where I worked. She has even taken the idea further...` This one is a bit more complicated. I did not use any batting for this one. Isn't it great? I have a big stash of reds so I used reds and black. Any color looks great. I only have an e-mail address for her. She used to live here in Az. but I believe she has moved. hpsdjs_28@msn.com Her pattern is copyrighted. It is called 'Heart Smart!'

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8813583

a close up

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8813677

Looks so much like Cathedral Window pattern. I really like it Gloria...
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8813739

Gloria, thank you so so much for the tutorial!! I really love the effect of the folded fabric...that childrens quilt is beautiful and so are the placemats!!
Another Pattern added to my "OMG-I have to make this" List!!!

You do such amazing work gloria thank you for sharing!!
Love and Hugs Thea

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8813798

Thanks Barb and Thea. As I was taking the photos I saw in one of my stacks of halloween fabric some that would be perfect for the pancakes! I must go and mark and cut and make the lint fly!!! I'll keep you posted...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 18, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8813819

Oh remember a while back we had one like this made of Denim circles and flannel squares? There is a rotary circle cutter that makes easy work of cutting the circles.

I can't remember what that one was called but I'll try to find it by looking in old threads.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 18, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8813853

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/814015/

This is the thread.

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8814564

Thank you for this wonderful thread. That was so cool. I'm still a little lost as to how you managed to get a heart shape out of it, but my days a little crazy so yeah, I will look at it again when I am more alert, lol.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8815607

Thanks so much for sharing this idea pattern and showing the "how to"! I had seen this pattern in some books or magazines I have but I didn't take the time to see how it was put together...I thought the curves would be too hard for me to work with at the time, I had no idea it wasn't difficult at all. Well,I guess the ironing a good circle is the tricky part, ha. Your projects are just lovely.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8815786

AWESOME Gloria !!! thank you for showing us your beautiful work !!!! the hearts are spiffy, but oh my !! I love the bright one :-)
I have about fifty denim circles cut, and some flannel squares...another quilt on my "OMG-I have to make this" List!!! and will have to add one of these now too!!!
I used a paint can lid to trace my circles.
I have jeans from all my boys, and the hubs!! and Flannel shirts from all of them, and my step dad...If I ever get it done...It will be MINE, and it will be full of lots of love, and I will be getting hugs from all the men in my life!!!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8819548

siliolegma, I checked out the thread you mentioned and in post #6963289 by Tullulah is the 'Charlie' I mentioned. In her "Got Scraps?'" she uses a four patch for the back circle, which makes for a really colorful backing. There are so many different looks you can get with this method. I like to use all the various scraps of batting I have, if they are the same thickness.
Thunder, one of the days, I'm going to make a bright hearts wall hanging. (If I live long enough...) Your denim quilt sounds like it will be full of love and memories. A very good thing.

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8852094

What does the back look like?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8853017

Which back? The hearts or the placemats? I know, I'll show both. Placemat first.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8853021

Now the hearts. This really is the back...

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8853134

Oh, man . . . another project to give a try!

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8853678

WOW! Ok, I'm impressed. I need to make one of these.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8853959

So what does the front of the hearts look like?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8854096

quilter, check a previous post. Just scroll up and you'll find it. ;-)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8854236

So the front & back look the same? THe pic above (10 from top) looks the same as the pic of the bck above.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8855662

Almost the same, except the front shows the 'lips' sewn down. The close up shows that just a bit. There is no batting in this one so it lays really flat. Maybe this pic will help. This is a foursy, four pancakes sewn together. Two of the pancakes are half red and half black and when put together right, TADA! a heart! When you turn it over you have a heart there also. Hope this helps.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8856678

Wow a reversible quilt!!!!! That is neat how it all goes together.

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8856847

Ok, another question, lol, sorry. I am trying to make sure I understand this pattern. Am I taking two completely finished (as in sewn front, batting, back) circles and sewing them together so I basically have two fronts, two backs? or am I sewing one front with a different back and then doing the square? Oh my, I think I got myself confused again when I typed that. Oh boy. I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's two completely finished circles being sewn to each other or one completely finished circle and then I do the square part? Help...
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8857000

Bev...have a look here http://www.fonsandporter.com/videos_loq_series_900.html
then go to episode 905

that is the program Gloria was talking about.

I am in the middle of making a tablerunner for a friend with this pattern. I cut the template from a thin cutting board from the dollarstore. Right now I am in the middle of sewing the circles...to sew a near perfect circle it helps to sew nice and slow and pivet slightly every 6 stitches on a stich lenght of 2.5

Hope this helps you a bit
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8857148

Has anyone tried that curve master sewing machine foot? I seen it for sale on ebay, there is also a video of how it works. It is supposed to make sewing curves and circles easier. Even though curves are a little tricky, as much sewing as I've done, I didn't think I'd need a speciality foot for curves,..but I was wondering if anyone had experience with this foot. I imagine after making several circles, it would get a little easier and faster. I do love the look of these quilt blocks. tish
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8857163

I have a quide on my machine. So you use a square of fabric. Sent the radius on an arm that attaches to my foot. The other end has a pin that goes thru the fabric and into a hole in the machine bed. and you just sew. The arm and that pin make a perfect circle. Can make circles from 1" to something rather large.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8857170

I have heard of that attachment. I know its an accessory that is available for my machine, but I would have to buy it separately. It does sound really easy though...have you used it yourself? When sewing a LOT of circles, easy would be very good.

So who draws a circle and sews on the line and who cuts out circles and sews along the edge?

Just wondering. Cause I'm thinking of making this - table runner first cause it will be smaller to see how I'd want a whole quilt - I like that 4 block patchwork on the back from the older post.

tish

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8857458

Thea thanks for the video link I will go check it out. As for feet attachments, I didn't even know they had such a thing. And I am the cut on the line sew on the edge kind of girl.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8857688

Someone ??? did say they bought one of those curve master sewing feet and said they loved it, but I can not remember who??

I have not done any of these, but plan on it. I will draw the circle, and sew on the line

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8857880

Qwilter said she has one and loves it... I'll ask Santa for the foot!!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8858046

The foot for sewing curves (Drunkards Path type piecing) doesn't help when sewing a circle.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8858154

Thanks for the heads up Jean. I guess Santa will need to bring me something else!!!
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

October 21, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8858218

These are so interesting! There was a pattern in Love of Quilting (or was it Easy Quilts?) - I will have to try to find that, again and take another look at it.

I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but these are so pretty! :)
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8868388

I am finally DONE!!!
Thank you so much Gloria for your tutorial, you made it look sooooooo easy. It took me forever to sew this runner, but that is partly because I can`t sit longer on my sewing machine then about 15 minutes due to my back and hip acting up. I just love the way it came together and I will definatly make another one for myself.
This one is for my dear friend who suffered brain damage due to a fall and she made such remarkable recovery. Her Birthday is tomorrow and I finished it 1 hour ago...lol

Thumbnail by Thea1962

Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8868393

Here is a close-up

Thumbnail by Thea1962

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8868533

That is just beautiful.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8868543

Very nice Thea. One day I'll get around to making one of these.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8868713

Fantastic Thea !!!!
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8868789

Love these!! I bought one of the circle cutters in anticipation of making lots of pancakes. lol Now if I can just find the time to do them!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8868846

Wonderful job Thea. Wasn't that tutorial great??? I love the colors you used. Did you zig-zag the circles down or just stitch close to the edge?
Got 20" of snow last night so I'll be stuck inside for a while - great time to play catch up!!!!
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8868868

Holy Jumpens Barb!!!! 20" of snow...wow I don`t think it ever snowed that much up here in the North!!! Hope your Power stays on and that you are all cozy and warm with enough food in the house!! Does Norm still have to go to work tomorrow?? Stay safe!!!

Barb...I used white flannel as Batting and I used the machine blanket stitch to sew the flaps/pedals all down. Oh and the crochet hook works perfect for smoothing out the circle edges (on the inside) once the pancake is turned.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8868904

Thanks for the heads up about the hook. Did you prewash the flannel?
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8868980

Nope no prewashing...just cut and sew!!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8870345

Thea, your table runner is absolutely beautiful!!! Way to go! Now I am all inspired to make a Christmas runner.
OMG, Barb!! Twenty inches! :-P

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 31, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8870414

Thank goodness you didn't lose power Barb, we heard on news so many people did.
We would be in deep doo-doo here in the north woods. No alternative heat source except for burners on cook stove.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8870530

All of our power lines are underground in the area where I live. It really does make a difference when you live with trees!! We don't have another heat source either Karen but our daughter lives 5 miles from us and she has a wood stove and a generator. So if all else failed - off we would go. It has melted quite a bit today. Still about 12-15 inches on the ground.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8872011

My Momma got about 30 inches of snow in her area, no power :) took a couple days , but my sister finally got to her with the four wheel drive truck!!! so now at least she is with my sister, and they have a wood stove :) they are saying 7 - 10 days before power is restored :(

My Momma said it was very strange looking as the snow fell off of the trees. the trees are still mostly green in her area, and to see the green trees sticking up out of 30 '' of snow on the ground...very strange!!!

we had our lines underground, when we lived up north. but what connected to it was above ground, in the center of town...so we still lost power sometimes...never for as long as we have at times down here though, once had no power for 14 days!!! and it was HOT, very HOT... no ac, no running water !!! we were getting gallon jugs, bottled water from the fire dept, and we would dump them over each others heads, out in the yard to wash off a bit!!! it was not fun!!! but honestly I'd prefer that to not having power in the cold!!! no thanks !!!
ticollins
Sioux Falls, SD

November 2, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8873891

very nifty!

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8929867

I am having problems with the square section of the pattern. I followed the directions and my flaps came out flukey, then I just measured and went to see if that would be better, only they still came out awful. What is the trick to getting that middle section right so that when I sew them together it comes out ok. I followed even a step by step picture thing for Cathedral Windows and it still isn't' working, help... ugh.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8930275

I'm not following what the problem is. If you have a "round" circle to start with, and they are all the same size, and you sew them together on the drawn line, it should all work out fine.
Can you post a pic of what is happening????

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8932176

Sewsassee, I didn't use Cathedral Window instructions. What I made is very different from Cathedral Windows. The end results look similar but they are quite different. Ditto what Qwilter said. Keep trying. Check out what I did again. Unless you are doing Cathedral Windows. I've never done them, yet.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2011
3:18 AM

Post #8932824

With these it also makes it easier if you don't use batting out to the edge. Just use a square of batting within the drawn sewing lines. When you sew the ) down you will hold the batting in place.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9008251

bumping thread...
bluteddi
Benson, MN

February 17, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9010586

I made this quilt with ladybugs on the back side

Thumbnail by bluteddi   Thumbnail by bluteddi
Click an image for an enlarged view.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

February 17, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9010588

Too cute, I'd have a hard time using that for the back side.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9010748

Very nice bluteddi and welcome. I like the single ladybug on the front too...Great job.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9010763

Welcome bluteddi! Love that quilt! Are they appliqued? Nice job!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9010943

Aww, blu, that is so darn cute! Some one really likes dots! I'll bet it was a fun project.
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9010952

Bluteddi...beautiful work!! Loveeeee the ladybugs!!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

February 20, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9014182

Great job I love the bugs too Cher
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9072043

Finished another one...this time for spring!!

Thumbnail by Thea1962

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9072110

Love those colors!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9072179

Beautiful Thea - just beautiful... I, too, love the colors. They make me smile!!!!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9072331

Wow, thea!! I love how you put it together. I'm getting inspired again! I haven't done any sewing for about two weeks and I'm starting to twitch... Weather has been nice so I've been playing out side in my courtyard.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America