Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: How to ground your home?

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 3, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yonkers1
Danville, VA

September 18, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8813766

I replaced all the metal pipes in my home with pcv pipes and now have nothing to ground the house to . There is a ground wire hanging inside of the house but no where to ground it.
Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8813896

Check this link out.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electrical-lighting/where-install-grounding-rod-13649.html
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 26, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8825337

Actually you are much better with a dedicated ground rod. Grounding to the water pipes was always a bad idea, because if you did have a fault, the entire piping system could cause an electric shock.

Also, be sure to check the ground cable attachment to the ground rod at least yearly, The bolts can and do corrode and lose connectivity.

The contractor who built our house used the cheapest connector available - the bolt and nut were solidly rusted together, but had lost so much metal to the rust that you could slip the connector off the rod by hand.

The local power provided was working on one of the underground pedestals for a neighborhood problem and warned my neighbor and me. I bought and installed the best I could buy for both of our houses. And I check them quite often.

Another friend with a house in the country, had a different problem - the rod that was used was a length of rebar, and it rusted off at ground level. His electrician replaced with a copper rod and correct connector.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8825806

Typical is 2 ground rods at least 8' apart if I remember correctly. I think they are supposed to be driven more or less straight up and down although when we were grounding generators we drove them at an angle. I think that was mostly so that we could pull them out with a chain and truck.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 18 Nov 26, 2014 9:19 PM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America