Photo by Melody

Article: The History of Growing Cotton in the Garden: Cotton, yes!

Communities > Forums > Article: The History of Growing Cotton in the Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: The History of Growing Cotton in the GardenReplies: 5, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
acaulis
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8814507

I planted cotton for the first time this year from seed purchased from Southern Exposure, Red Foliated White and Erlene's Green. I started half of them indoors but lost those due to neglectful watering. The ones I started outside did very well, sporting numerous beautiful flowers, though they were planted late and may not mature enough before frost.

Thumbnail by acaulis
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LaGardener70601
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8814595

I live in Louisiana and when we grow cotton here, even for ornamental purposes we must report it to the US Dept of Agriculture. There is a federal program in place to monitor the boll weevil. So when you grow cotton the Ag Dept will post a boll weevil trap close to the plants. Since it is a federal program, the monitoring might be throughout the country - not just the cotton belt. I don't know.
papa1
Dearborn, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8814650

What an interesting article. I had no idea cotton could be grown in the home garden. I wish it would grow in my zone so I could try it.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8814906

Friends have tried growing cotton this year. I am waiting to hear how it worked for them. They are growing the naturally colored cottons. Both are avid fiberartists. One raises alpaca, the other angora rabbits. They spin their own yarns from the fiber. They tried flax and hemp in the past, but decided that it was a big bother to process the plant into fiber by hand.

It is amazing how much softer undyed cotton fiber and yarn is. (Foxfibre is one trademarked variety named after Sally Fox who has done extensive research on breeding naturally colored cotton). Commercial cotton is more valuable the whiter it is. Most companies bleach the cotton with harsh chemicals before dyeing it. I think it is odd to bleach cotton white just to dye it dark blue or black again.

Here is a link about Sally Fox
http://www.vreseis.com/sally_fox_story.htm

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8815625

acaulis- that's blooming very prettily!

LAGardener- you may be right.

GardenQuilts- thank you for linking us to more information, that sounds very interesing.

Thank you all for reading and commenting; it makes writing more fun!
Lorra
Indianapolis, IN

September 24, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8821767

Many thanks for the informative article, and to GQ for the Sally Fox link.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The History of Growing Cotton in the Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing cotton 3pmp 0 Sep 19, 2011 7:13 AM
Cotton in zone 7 rampbrat 0 Sep 19, 2011 11:58 AM
cotton in Atlantic Canda blueeyes54 0 Sep 19, 2011 6:09 PM
cotton drdeadlift 1 Sep 20, 2011 6:11 AM
going to try growing cotton Ludwigsfriend 1 Sep 21, 2011 8:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America