Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Birthday Club #15 New Deal

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

After much consideration I have decided to go ahead and change the way the Birthday Club works. I think in deference to the economic times we are in I am going to change this from a gifting kind of thing to CARDS ONLY. This change will go into effect starting in January 2012. I think that is the most fair way to do it so that the people at the end of this year who have played along nicely all year will still get their gifts from everyone.

So everyone that has a birthday starting in January will get a card from each of us in the birthday club sometime the month of their birthday. It is really a lot of fun to get snail mail these days anyway since we all live in such an electronic world. If you are so inclined to want to include a pack of seeds or something flat in with the card that is strictly up to you and should not in anyway be expected by the birthday girl.

I am hoping that this will encourage some of the people that have left us and some that would like to join, but are unemployed, to jump in and make this grow. Just think about getting 10 or 20 or 30 cards in your birthday month! So spread the word far and wide and lets see if we can make some new friends and have a sort of old fashioned pen pal arrangement.

We still want to chat and joke and know what is going on in everyone's life just like before, but at least this should remove the financial burden for a lot of people. Organized people can even get all their cards at the beginning of the year and get them all set up to go during those slow winter months.

Thanks a bunch to all of you for hanging in there and trying to make this work. I don't want it to go by the wayside. I have left the likes and dislikes lists attached for any new members that come on board as well as us old folks to look at so that we can send that extra special card. Everyone has special interests and we should remind ourselves of them now and then.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8142063
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8057458
Carolyn22 (Carolyn) April 3
AmandaEsq (Amanda) April 6
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7958412
Janaestone - (Dianae) April 12 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886210
momoftwo607 (Erin) May 6 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7885884
Crit (Patti) May 10 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8217784
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8039522
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7896427
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886786
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8242576
Cville_Gardener (Carole) Nov. 30 Effective on 1/2012
Dahtzu (Faye) December 25
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8005430

This message was edited Sep 19, 2011 12:44 PM

This message was edited Sep 21, 2011 6:04 PM

This message was edited Oct 1, 2011 4:51 PM

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 1:33 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice arrangement Neener. Love that purple kale. :)

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you dear.. My Mom brought the kale and I threw the rest of the stuff in there. Got the planter on sale.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I think it is good. I'm with you Neener.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey everyone!

Lovely Fall display up there, Neener. The pumpkin is so perfect it doesn't even look real.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from FruitOfTheVine :
Hey everyone!

Lovely Fall display up there, Neener. The pumpkin is so perfect it doesn't even look real.

That's because it isn't Hee Hee....It is one of those fake carvable pumpkins from the craft store. Gotcha!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

OH! Frooty has an eye!!! ;)

You sneak...LOL!

It won't be long before the annuals in the 'wild child' garden are spent and thought it would be a neat place to make a Fall display with straw bales, pumpkins and maybe a few Mums. I was so tempted to buy pumpkins at Wally World this morning but am waiting to see if the teenager down the road is growing them again this year, been buying them from her since she was a wee little thing. Haven't talked to my neighbor that grows corn for his cows in over a week and forgot to ask if he saved a few shocks for me. Anybody ever stuffed overalls or blue jeans and flannel shirts with straw or pine needles to make a scarecrow?

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Sounds good to me Neener. I'm sure no one wants this to be a burden to you !!!! When I saw the #14 thread on my list and it said CLOSED, I about freaked out. I was so hoping that you hadn't closed the Birthday Group. Thanks for hosting it and keeping it alive! Love the pic of your display. So cute!

Paula and Christina. I haven't forgotten you dear ladies. I still need to send your boxes and will soon. Promise. Not even going to tell you when I send it so it will be a big surprise! tee hee I'll keep track of them by the delivery confirmation.

Fruitloop... I have made things like you described above. Scarecrows, 'be-headed' person for my son's Halloween party...lol, and stuff like that. I stuff them with crumpled newspaper for filling, then just put the straw where I want it to be seen. The 'be-headed' person I made 'blood' by cooking up cornstarch and water to the consistancy I wanted it, then added red food coloring. I then poured it all over the neck and let it run down the shirt. I had a pumpkin beside it for the head and poured some 'blood' around it too. It came out real good.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, everyone.
Christina and Char, it's great to hear from you both again! :)
Was just working on a little something to include with Char's card this evening while we were watching TV.
Crit, that headless person display sounds perfect for Halloween. Bet you had a lot of fun planning that one!

I must say, I was surprised to see a new thread so soon, but understood why the new thread when I saw that there was a new plan. Hmmm, I will have to think of some good flat projects to include with cards :) By the way, if you all don't mind, if you haven't indicated what your favorite colors are, I'd appreciate it if you could add this info to your wish list entry. Thanks!
Should go for now. Have a great Tuesday!
Michelle

I NEVER get too many Charlie's !!!

Was that a hint Crit??? Charley and I ♥ it, that is is so loved.
Oh, Michelle, you are so sweet.
Neener, there are some great cards out there, so we can have a great time looking for them and "something flat" Love it....

Blackshear, GA

OK, My apolgies to Faye and Joy....here is what they sent...

Faye sent a tree 'face', cutest little doll to sit in my new kitchen, a calendar with the funniest sayings, a date book, and some dish towels. Thank you again Faye. I love it all

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

and Joy...she sent a very cute birdhouse (collecting these now) and some of her wonderful jams and trail mix. (loved it) especially the kiwi...yum!

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

Hanging head kicking at the dirt. You caught me! I love all the Charley's I have and that you have sent out. ^_^

GREAT boxes there Paula. I love those tree faces. lol

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Paula, isn't that dried kiwi "the bomb"??!!! Found it and dried cantaloupe at our HEB in College Station and I love them both. I don't even like regular cantaloupe.
Glad you liked it!

Joy

Very pretty....

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Glad to see you all here! Just to set the record straight, this hasn't been a problem for me to do this, but it has seemed to be a problem for a lot of people that joined and left or whatever. End of story. Hopefully this will solve the issues and everyone will adjust.

I just realized that I hadn't been to DG all day today. Scooted out in the rain early this morning for some blood work and then ran some errands and got involved in making sausage. What a day! Feels like a wasted day even though I did get some things accomplished.

Trying to get my head wrapped around getting the Halloween things out. It's our favorite time of the year and since my Mom will be staying here while we go on vacation in October, she'll get to enjoy them as well. Since the summer themed wreath fell off the door this morning I figured that was a sign to at least put up the Fall wreath and change the foyer flower arrangement.

Getting ready to scoot out again to look at kitchen counters and cabinets. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

Blackshear, GA

Aww Joy, now I'm disappointed!! I thought you had made that all by yourself. You are so ambitious and creative in everything else, I just knew you had dried all those things and mixed together. LOL So what's HEB...I'm sure its something I should know,but its not clicking. I really did enjoy it very much!

Went to post a message and our cable internet connection went down, a really rare hiccup.

Patti, Your be-headed man sounds like he was the hit of the party! A little too gory for me but what a great idea to stuff with newspapers, never would have thought of that. I do have a lot of packing peanuts that might come in handy for stuffing. Sometimes I put a bunch in a plastic bag in the bottom of big pots, helps keep watering down and is easier on my back when it's time to move them.

Neener, I changed the flags to a pumpkin / sunflower theme Sep 1st, reluctantly took down the "door prize" and replaced it with a Fall wreath, same one we've used the last two years and is looking a bit tired. Sorta matches the way I fell tonight after another non-stop day.

Lovely gifts, Paula:) Bet you're counting down the days.....

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

HEB is a TX grocery store that has a bulk foods section and fabulous dried fruits. Wish I had the time to make all the dried fruit I put in there but I yield to superior quality. I do make the mix since there are things I hate in most trail mixes and things they never put in. Most are full of "fillers", tons of raisins and peanuts and poor quality nuts and fruits. This way I like it all the way to the bottom. Thanks for thinking I am so talented!

Joy

I like to use packing peanuts in big pots too, or in something I'm afraid I will overwater since they will drain out faster.

I've never thought about drying kiwi. Hmmmm Dried cantelope? I've heard if that but it sounds kinda icky. I like the real stuff if it is a good one. I didn't like it for years but do now. May have to try it. Now to find my dehydrator. lol It's one I have probably had for 15 years! made by Mr. Coffee. I got several extra trays so I think I have 7 trays. When my family was growing up I would make beef jerky. When we butchered a beef I would have them cut up some of the roasts in addition to the brisket they usually use for jerky and make a ton of it! Oddly enough, the jerky would actually "disappear" from the trays before it was totally dry! I would have to rotate the trays with that many to make sure it all got dried well, and by the time it was all done I only had about 1/2 what I had put in. Everytime someone walked through the kitchen they would snatch a piece out. lol No wonder it took longer too, they kept letting the heat out. It was one big hit at our house. Made the house smell good too!

Never doubt your talent, Joy. Or should I say your many multi-talents?! I wish my Yorkie was as well-behaved as Lite. Can you believe it's been a year since we were together?

Yum, Patti. There's nothing like a piece or three of homemade jerky. Hubby's been scoping out the leased land for the upcoming deer hunting season, comes back from the woods and reports about the big bucks he's seen. I've never had a dehydrator and might ought to invest in one. That is if he doesn't give the meat away like he usually does to our Hunters for Hungry program.

That's a good program Fruity. We use to do that when after we got our initial tag filled, we would go back and get the 3 no points visable tags and donate.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Patti that's waht happens here with my dehydrator. I'm always testing the product on the way through. :)) Love to dry mango and I can't stay out of it at all. Made jerky last weekend, and it is nearly gone already. That is getting to be an expensive deal using bison meat. Going to have to resort to grass fed beef if I can find any that is good.

Off to the races for another non stop day. Then home to make sausage that I ground yesterday. Can't wait to try my new stuffer. I told my Mom and DH that they could get me this stuffer for my birthday. Next trip down, my Mom hands me a card. I open it and there is a picture of my Dad and a wad of cash. She found money that he had stashed away and she said he would have wanted to get the stuffer for me. So now every time I use it I can think of Daddio.

Later!!

That's cool neener

That is so great!!!! Your Mom is great!!! Just like you.....

Blackshear, GA

Aww Neener, that's so sweet, it brought tears to my eyes. You will always cherish that.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Man that sausage stuffer is fabulous!! No more sweating, grunting and swearing now when I make sausage. Best thing is that it is made in the USA. In the last year I have purchased 4 kitchen items all made in America. Those 4 things are the best engineered and well made things that I have. Pretty much anything else is a piece of junk. Been through 2 popcorn poppers made in China. Finally went old school and bought a Whirley Popper. Made in America. Tried a Waring meat grinder and sausage stuffer earlier in the year. What a waste of money. Sent it back the next day. Etc. etc. You get the drift. Why oh why can't we get the point across to the morons in Washington that we need to go back to making things ourselves. We do it better than anyone in the world given half a chance to do it. Why is that so hard to understand??

Sorry for the rant. Getting off the soap box now and going back to my corner. :0)

That is beautiful Red, White and Blue box you are standing on, dear....

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone. Thanks Nita for the "new" thread.
Hello Charlene, you've been away a long time. Glad you're back.
I don't have now, but have had a dehydrator and I loved using it to make jerky

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

She's a grand old flag . . ..

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lost another one ladies.. Choo Choo Gal is dropping out. :(

Blackshear, GA

Hello everyone,
I got a surprise from Charleen and Charlie yesterday. She sent a beautiful card that she made, two packs of seeds, and IOU for a birdhouse (she and hubby are making), and of course a Charlie magnet. Thank you so much Charleen, I LOVE the hair (mane) on Charlie...too cute!!

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

Charlie...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Joy, it's good to hear from you again! :)
Paula, those do sound like some neat gifts! I don't think I've ever had dried kiwi. And it's good to hear that Char is still making those Charley magnets :)
We've mixed up our own trail mix before, too. But we typically only have it when we are going camping, and not even always then. Must remember to take some for our next camping trip :) It's always fun picking out just what we want in it.
Well, I'm sorry Choo Choo Gal wasn't able to join us more. I was looking forward to getting to know her more. Perhaps she can join us again some time.
Neener, I do hope you found the counters and cabinets that you were looking for :)
Reading about the birdhouses reminded me of a related topic. I thought of all of you ladies today. My husband told me about some watering cans that he saw while he was online. One was a watering can shaped like a mouse, with a long nose (the spout). And two other watering cans were shaped like birds! A bit out of my price range, but they sure sounded cute :)
Twyla, I saw your note on the other thread. Hope you've found your way to this one :) Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Do take care, and join us when you can.
Well, should go for now. You all have a great Thursday!
Michelle

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

AW there's Charley! What a great way to start the morning. That and the hummers that are still sailing around outside the window. I finally had to relent and turn the A/C back on for a little since the humidity in here was about to choke me. Rained hard all night again.

Heading out to get a car inspected. BBL

The hair is part of Charley's mane I trimmed, so you got part of the "ol boy" I didn't make that beautiful card, a friend of mine from England made it. Muriel does a wonderful job. I am so glad you like it. I couldn't remember what I sent but I haven't forgot the IOU. Michelle, you will get you a Charley too, Dear girl. My Charley is a "friendship " mule. He has friends in Australia, London and Japan. He is quite the roaming mule.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Love the Charley card. :)

I love mules. I have a friendship goat. I wonder if he would mind if I sheard some of his itchy hair to attach to Neener's birthday card.

HEY Neener: Can I drop out if I haven't signed up yet? :P

Loveya.
A.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Amanda... :::::PPPPPP. NO!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.