How Long Does It Take from buds forming to Flowers?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The question arose, of the duration it takes form budding to full blooms. I recently noticed my QOTN sent out new buds. So I'll post this here to share my experience. Here are a few buds that was seen roughly 4-5 days ago. I'll post more pics. as the buds turn bigger, and bigger until they become full bloom.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pawleys Island, SC

Lily, My buds seem to move to fully formed blooms in about a week. It seems to me that they move from 1 stage to the next much too quickly. Especially the duration of the bloom.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Linda,

Have you any picture to share?

Pawleys Island, SC

Kim, I don't have a sequence of pics, but I had 2 that have bloomed so far this year. I will attach pics for you. This one lost it's tag, but I think it may be milenium.

Thumbnail by ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

I have to search for the other pics. They may not be downloaded yet.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, that's a stunning beauty! Here is a thread that showed the QOTN that I have in mind. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1206940/ I'll return later with photos of the current progression on these buds formation, to share.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

After a rain or two, the bud seems to triple its size;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

I have found that some of the buds seem to mature quicker than others. Then after they do their "turning upward" that takes several days. If I can manage to stay around for a full cycle next year, I hope to track their progress. I am OCD about these things and in the summer, I check them almost every day to see if they have buds! This was early last month and we had three nights of blooms I missed the previous blooms in July.

Thumbnail by JeanK
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hello JeanK, I agreed, I've observed the same thing, once they do the upward turn, then it's not too long before the bud fully open. I've one other pot of QOTN in the back yard. That one has about a dozen buds as the one I posted above. I'll keep everyone posted.

Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

Looking forward to pictures of your QOTN blooms. I have noticed that the last couple of days after they turn up, you can almost see those buds swelling. As DH tells me, "It's a miracle!"

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's almost mystical the way they behave. When I witnessed my first wave of blooms. I couldn't help but shared with neighbors who I though may appreciate them. I will post more pics. later. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is the lone bud of one that I had in the front of the garden today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The bigger pot in the backyard. This one is a mature one, and it has been consistently yielded flowers every year. Other young ones -- not so much.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Last pix.... for now.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

Beautiful! It won't be long now! I think mine have finished blooming this year. They had two prolific flushes, one I missed and the other I enjoyed for three nights. Looking forward to more pics.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here goes! The bud(s) begun to curl up. A bit early maybe? Jeank? These buds all are turning up, but the 'bulb' aren't as big as I remembered them?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

I experienced the same thing this summer. The buds seemed "skinnier" than I remembered but it seemed that the day they were to open that night, you could almost see them swelling and the ends showing white. Amazing!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ah hahI can see those buds haven't opened yet. I went to bed and forgotten to check on them last night. Thanks Jean for your reply.

Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

Here are pics of buds taken the same day.....9:00 a.m

Thumbnail by JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

And here they are at 4:32 p.m. As you can see, the buds are very plump and are showing white. I wish we had time lapse photography to show how these things "plump up" during the course of one day! Absolutely amazing!

Thumbnail by JeanK
Pawleys Island, SC

time lapse photography would be awesome on 1 of these jeank. What a great idea. I just came in from checking on mine and now 4 of them have buds. 2 should bloom within the next 3 or 4 days and the others are just starting.
Lily I was way off on my bloom time. Must have been something else.

Linda

Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

9:41 p.m. -- almost open

Thumbnail by JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

Linda, I start watching these when they are only about the size of a pinhead! Sometimes they blast and sometimes they become a leaf, however, I am so OCD about these things that during the summer when I am home, they get the once-over just about every day!

Pawleys Island, SC

I am too, Jeank. I had a really nice collection a couple of years ago and then had some medical issues so the ones I have left are true survivors and will be pampered this winter in my greenhouse. I really need to trim some and replant others. I'll add that to Monday's list.
Sea Ya

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lisa, JeanK there is a co. that makes camera for time lapse setting I think. Technology now- a-day is something else! Here is my bud today. Apparently it has a little way to go before it's fully open. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

Keep watching and waiting.......!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Anticipation is driving me bonker! LOL

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

The lower one could possibly pop tonight. Keep checking during the day today. It's almost like awaiting the birth of a child.....!

Pawleys Island, SC

I agree. I am watching 6 buds now. I have never had that many bloom at 1 time.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

My epie Something Wonderful seems to have a bud forming. Lily, I'm keeping a close eye on your thread to see how long from buds to blooms. It's been 1 1/2 years since I started my epie cuttings, and I need some gratification LOL.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Well, thanks all for following the thread. As stated above, the buds must have first appeared on Sept. 15th or so. It may just play out until a complete 4 weeks? It is not going to be tonight. I checked, and they're still very tight looking. No sign of the inner petals showing through yet. I'll show their progress again in the morning. Hope those are bud forming for your Annette. They're so exciting, like Jean said, it's like waiting for a baby to arrive. lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good morning sunshine!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Would tonight be THE night? The buds began to show that characteristic plum with inner petals showing through.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

Looks like you will have a bloom tonight!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Whoohooo, how about 8 or 9 of the blooms? Here goes. They're just now opening up. Not fully open. Looks like I'm going to have to stay up a little late tonight. :))

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Just GORGEOUS!!!! Congrats on your blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.