Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: Painted Lady X Sam

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 7, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xeriscape8321
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 19, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8815637

Painted Lady x Sam

This is one of my crosses. Last year she showed great promise. This year she survived the summer all by herself (while i was in NY) and she did fantastic in the summer heat. Right now in Fort Lauderdale, unlike the northern parts of florida we are still in the 90's during the day and 80's at night and this baby is already starting to bloom for the season. Definitely going to register her...very worthy of heat loving regions...and propagates easily too which is always a plus!

Thumbnail by xeriscape8321
Click the image for an enlarged view.

xeriscape8321
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 19, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8815640

Another shot

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8815867

Congratulations Gary! The ability to bloom in hot weather is a great trait to have in a Brug. You'll have to let us know when she becomes available. Hmmmm, I wonder is she can stand temperatures in the low 100s. We had 85 days over 100 this year. Brugs went dormant.
xeriscape8321
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 20, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8815988

Veronica can you blame them? In that kind of weather people go dormant too!
xeriscape8321
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 20, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8815992

But she is holding up well

xeriscape8321
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 20, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8815994

9:22 am ..currently 87 degrees...she still has some perk to her

xeriscape8321
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 20, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8816195

I have grown out many seedlings in my life and i have culled close to a hundred...if i feel that a brug is worth registering and campaigning to true collectors in the brug community, i will post it. For the second blooming year in a row, this one has performed so well that i believe she is worthy of getting out there, because i believe that she will be one that people can actually grow and have thrive for several years to come. This girl is 3-4 years in the making /testing...proven and tested she seems to be one that will be around for quite some time...i am so tired of growing/registering brugs that eventually turn out to be genetically inferior and die out...shamefully i have had a few that i rushed to registration that only turn out to be weak cultivars...i have confidence in this one and will be proud to name and distribute her into the brug community because i think she will be a true asset to brug growers who live in those climates that are severe as far as heat is concerned. Who wants to spend time and money growing a brug that just is not suitable to their climate? I am currently working on more propagating to get her out to our brug lovers out there living in the most severe climates...look for this one this winter
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8816555

Gary, Thanks for the information. I will definitely be on the look out for her.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America