Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM #95

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 148, Views: 777
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 20, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8816576

Hello everyone. Here we are . Moved a bit closer because my legs get tired with all that hiking down the path.
I hope the wind has gone form everywhere affected. I do not like wind.
We did have a lovely lot of rain after the wind died down. Just right for the new weeds .
My irises are stating to bud and the epis are too.
A bit of warmer weather can really wake the plants up.
I planted my abutilon seeds and some hippie seeds too. I am trying to get a h. Papilio to grow. I have always wanted one but they are expensive to buy as a bulb.
This is the second lot of seeds I have tried and I think they are not viable like the last lot.
You are supposed to be able to feel the little hard seed in the papery covering but I feel nothing.
I may just have to save a bit more to get a bulb. I have quite a few other hippies grown from seed. They do well here.
The lovely lavenders are all coming out with a little warmth too. They do spot flower during the year but really come alive now. .
I love their little bunny ears.

Better go and put up the sign so noone gets lost .
Have a great day. and enjoy a walk through the tree ferns .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 20, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8816602

Forgot the sign again.
We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217331/
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 20, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8816803

posting a cut and paste to save time :-)

We have had missiles flying through the air here (◕_◕) truly bad winds !!!
Whoopee the nurse was early and the boys have all been attended to (morning tea and meds etc)so I am off to do some stuff outside because right now the wind has dropped off .
Back after lunch ...loving the posts ! ♥‿♥

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 20, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8817241

Nice ferns, Jean...I might sit there tomorrow it will be a bit warmer...
Lavenders do look like bunny ears, don't they...I have a few baby lavenders popping up in the garden..
I will pot them up when they get a bit taller...the baby ones have been good little lavenders..I have no idea which ones are the parents...I don't even know if they are self fertilising..but if these are the same as the ones that I have had in previous years, then they will be ok.

The Tulip that I have been posting, closes up every night...today is dull so it is only half opened...
It is a Tulip on dull days and a Lilium in the heat.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 20, 2011
11:51 PM

Post #8817262

Busy with the grandchildren because of the school holidays.
The weather has been nice here at Buderim. Great for gardening.

Mexican Mist is flowering now. Love this plant.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 21, 2011
2:26 AM

Post #8817309

windy as hell here,.,.i can be going along the hwy in the truck at 100k's and all of a sudden,,,brrrrrrrrrrr-im down to 80,.very insane travelling across the Bowen bridge, swerving from lane to lane,..,..I have many 'conspicuus daffs' here blooming and they look absolutely perfect,.,.many new seedlings popping up[lilies] and many ,many, many , many lilium spikes in pots,.,.i'll have to stop going outside, i get 'too' excited,..,anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 21, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8817319

looks like purple is the theme today ...I love purple don't you ? it's so royal .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx47qrH1GRs

Edited to say Charleen ...I love your surprise ...I patted Charlie's mane tenderly and love it.
You should not have done that ...thanks so much. x x
Jeanne,Moon and Loise waving from way down here ! hoping the weather is much kinder now.
Unfortunately we have some lunatic racing around our district starting fires ...how do you stop them ?
They are leaving fire starters in piles here and there ...need long prison sentences don't you think.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful spring adventure ! Don't get blown away anyone ...

This message was edited Sep 21, 2011 9:08 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8817457

Oh, We got some very much needed rain last night. I was so happy. got to go see if it has started to refill my pond that I patched, it had a crack and I wanted to seal it, the fish are in a horsetank, a short one but big enough to keep them wet.
So glad you got your card, I love sending out little bits of Charley L♥ve...
Our little town had it's Buggydays last weekend and I took some pictures of Vintage cars. Hope you all like them.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8817809

Hi everyone!

Yes Chrissy, I certainly agree. They caught a person here posing as a firefighter and may have started a fire, then led the fire dept. in to put it out...not too far from his own home. I hope they do lock him up also!

Lovely pictures! I love purple!

Jeanne
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 21, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8818191

Good morning everyone. Chrissy, thanks for bringing back that song. We had some real fun songs on the charts in our time, didn't we.

Cool again. I hope those winds stay away today. Lovely to see the purple flowers. Thought I'd add this orchid, out now.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 21, 2011 3:05 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 21, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8818210

Morning all...the funniest thing just happened while I was reading Marlene's post...
I had enlarged the pic so I could see the Mexican Mist...
Up came the Google translator wanting to know if I wanted to translate from German...I thought that it was peculiar...but I said ok... and the only word that changed was Mist...evidently in German it means
manure...
So Marlene, your pretty Mexican Mist when translated was called Mexican Crap...
I couldn't stop laughing...
I found a site which collects errors by translations and it explained that the liquor Irish Mist when translated says Irish Crap...and many others...Anthony you will appreciate some of them...here it is...

http://www.i18nguy.com/translations.html

Hope you find some plant bargains today, Jean

...Great song, Chrissy..I downloaded all those funny old songs and have them on disc for the car..
Looks like a beautiful day so have a great day all...back later.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011 9:40 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 21, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8818217

Good morning everyone. I know I'm late opening the door but I was wandering around the brug thread. One does get carried away.
I love purple and looking around my garden, I do have a lot of it. Not a deliberate choice but so many flowers out now are purple.
Still rather windy here but fine . The sun is out and I may find a bit to do out side so I can enjoy the warmth.

Hello Anthony. I am a bit like you . I am excited watching all the new lilium shoots . I go out and look every day. They are growing so quickly now.
Still a few daffies hanging on but most are done

Hello Charleen, I love my Charley too. You are very clever.
Glad you are getting a bit of rain now. Love the old truck.

Hello Chrissy. Its awful to see the fires so early in the season. Jail is too good for those morons. They are a blot on society.
Thanks for the link, I used to love that song. All the old songs actually. Funny but great to sing along with.

Hello Dianne, Marlene and Karen , pretty flowers too.

Hello Jeanne, I love purple too.
Hope you are getting some of the rain too.

Hello Teresa. Hope all is well over your way. How is Copper going with your new hours ?

Hello Louise , Pam and Elaine . Also anyone else looking in
Here is something to nibble on with a nice cuppa. Doughnut Muffins
Keep safe and enjoy your gardens.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 21, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8818221

Had to add my purple for the day . My pinwheel daisy.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 21, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8818774

Charlene, do you think you could put that truck in an envelope and send it over,.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 22, 2011
1:15 AM

Post #8818892

Seachanger wrote:Morning all...the funniest thing just happened while I was reading Marlene's post...
I had enlarged the pic so I could see the Mexican Mist...
Up came the Google translator wanting to know if I wanted to translate from German...I thought that it was peculiar...but I said ok... and the only word that changed was Mist...evidently in German it means
manure...
So Marlene, your pretty Mexican Mist when translated was called Mexican Crap...
I couldn't stop laughing...
I found a site which collects errors by translations and it explained that the liquor Irish Mist when translated says Irish Crap...and many others...Anthony you will appreciate some of them...here it is...

http://www.i18nguy.com/translations.html

Hope you find some plant bargains today, Jean

...Great song, Chrissy..I downloaded all those funny old songs and have them on disc for the car..

Looks like a beautiful day so have a great day all...back later.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011 9:40 AM

I did love Mexican Mist...now all I can see is a bit of "poop" *G*

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011 4:18 AM

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011 4:19 AM

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 22, 2011
1:25 AM

Post #8818894

Karen do you have the Epiphyllum Harold Knebel?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 22, 2011
2:26 AM

Post #8818921

Sorry Marlene, but it was so funny...I still love your Mexican Mist...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8819017

Anthony, If it were possible I sure would send you the truck, I knew you would like it.
here is another for you.
Charley loves travelling the world and letting folks know they are loved for their goodness.
We love you...

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 22, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8819601

Good morning everyone. I was going through some old posts yesterday. What fun I had. It was very nice to re-read some of our posts and see the gardens and flowers. I cleaned everything out of the hothouse yesterday and put the survivors in the SH. You know not one of the last lot of US brug seed germinated,I haven't chucked them though. Will give them another bit of time. I have 4 SuperspotX that are going okay and 2 GrimbaldiXJennylind and 2 MorgansonneX that are growing albeit slowly. The vulsas are powering away. I do hope we get flowers. I have another Arborea nearly out so will split this flower and use the rest of the pollen on it and keep my fingers crossed. The 6 pointer Aztec Gold X of Brians has 2 new flowers which are just normal this time. The perfume is lovely though. Jean My GHA has just started to grow since I put it in the ground. I do believe that they like to get their roots into that Mother Earth. I have lots of buds on the Epis and some Irises that haven't flowered before have nice buds. The dark purple one is flowering a treat this year. I got a tree stump taken out yesterday ready for the new back fence and the new bigger gates. I have a lot of lovely pine mulch for the broms too. I reckon there would be about 8 bags of mulch so that's some I don't have to buy. Well must grab acuppa and make the boy's lunches. be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 22, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8819737

Good morning everyone. I hope you all didnt get any of that awful wind. that was here all day yesterday and well into the night.
I thought my greenhouses were going to take off. Lucky I have ties over them for just that kind of weather.
I was sitting out in the front greenhouse while the wind was trying to see it plus me somewhere else.
This morning is quiet so far. Hubby has to go for blood tests so we will be getting a bit of wood to make 2 tables that will fit in the trailer. They will work as tables for the market and also as a cover for the trailer that the tarp can go over for protection on the drive.
I have lots of plants coming on to sell ,so hopefully I will make enough to buy more plants... LOL..

Hello Charleen, love those old cars. I could never resist going along to see them when they used to be on show.

Hello Colleen, I would be careful with pine mulch on certain plants as it can turn the soil more acidic. Good for around things like azaleas etc that like the acidity.
Being a mulch I am assuming it is finer than the bulkier bark so maybe not so great in pots where it would break down very quickly.
This is just me of course and others may know more .

Hello Dianne, Karen , Chrissy and Pam.
Hello Elaine, Teresa and Anthony also.

I had better get myself moving as the lady who does all the blood test at the clinic arrives early. If you are not early, you may sit there for quite a while as she does them in arrival order. No appointments.
See you all later. Enjoy your day.
Try this Plum Coffee Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 22, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8819840

Hello hello. Love those old cars. What beauties.

Jean, hope you didn't have too long a wait this morning. I stopped going to the local clinics and now go to the hospital as they plough through them very quickly. Waiting around is not my favourite past time.

Hello Charleen, and a hug for Charley.

Marlene, I am still laughing over your Mexican Mist. I don't think I have Harold Knebel though I have a lot of unknowns, many of which are in bud now. Will be fun finding out what I do have.

Teresa, I hope the ground has stopped shaking there. I see there was a big 7.3 near Fiji last week, and we even had a small one in north Qld.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying nice Spring weather and lots of budding plants.

Karen

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8819877

Hello everyone! Back again and able to type finally after a bad bout of carpal tunnel in both hands due to my overdoing it in the garden, digging too much and lifting too much. Nuf said...I am happy to read that the Tea Room seems to be in good fiddle and you all sound pretty cheery. Don't think I didn't think about you all in my absence.

Jean, that pinwheel daisy is wonderful! I have so missed reading your posts! I also love that pretty bloom from you, Colleen! And of course, Charleen's truck photo is awesome too. Fun photos to enjoy.

Charleen is just full of surprises. She and Charlie came to my rescue with magical and beautiful copper & magnet bracelets, that I credit with my ability to use my right hand again. That Charlie is the star of my refrig, and he's keeping me honest when I open it. What treasures come from wonderful DG friends!

Chrissy - glad to catch your wave! So nice and cheery. Hello to Karen and Anthony, Teresa, Dianne, Marlene and Jeanne as well. Glad you have all continued to keep my chair warm in the Tea Room!
Louise
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 22, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8819922

Hello Louise. Its lovely to see your smiling face back again. I thought you may have melted away in all the heat you have had over there.
I hope you are feeling a lot better now. Carpal tunnel is not nice. My daughter had problems with it years ago.
We did miss hearing all about the girls. I hope they are going well and behaving as lovely young southern ladies should.
Charleen is a very generous person and between her and Charley, they manage to make people happy.

Karen, our clinic is at the local hospital and as long as you get there early, the wait is not too bad .
We are rather lucky in having 3 hospitals within 1/2 hour of here. Casterton and Coleraine are smaller and we have the larger hospital at Hamilton.
The sun was out when we left and it was nice to drive along in the warm, but its cloudy and cold now. The cold wind is back.
I wont be doing much outside today.
Time for a warm cuppa and some of that coffee cake if there is a piece left.
Happy day,
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8819966

Can't have my friends aching when I can make them a beautiful bracelet to help. Love making them.
Here is a beautiful Morning Glory for you all. got a couple more cars. but don't want to wear you out on them...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 22, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8820019

Keep sending your Morning Glory pics Charleen...so nice of you to send your bracelets to those who need them...

Cold here again Jean...the seedlings don't know what to do...It's amazing how they bolt when it's even a little warmer...Even though it was cool this morning, the thermometer in the plastic SH showed 26c..the sun only hits it for about 30mins because it's under the verandah...imagine if it was on it for an hour...cooked cuttings and seedlings...lucky it is right next to my glass doors or I know that I would forget it.

Louise, my MIL had to have her wrists operated on for Carpel Tunnel...good thing that you are keeping an op at bay...nice to have you posting again...when do you head south?

Collingwood or Hawthorn?, Anthony...it goes against the grain...but Hawks for me...
Have a nice day .

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 23, 2011
12:56 AM

Post #8820201

My hubby is getting himself all set up with his lollies, chips, etc for the AFL footy tonight. Tomorrow night will be the same when his team Geelong play.

Dianne I guess you are also for Geelong.

Took this picture a day ago.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 23, 2011
2:23 AM

Post #8820214

maggies and eagles dianne!!!!--Stop it -charlene,.,.if theres 1 thing i want in life,its a decrepit 34 chev body--something to deliver lilies in-on sundays,.,.Doesnt mean i'd get rid of the 'inter'-its getting a 'new look' as we speak,its being modified as quick as its decrepit old owner can do it[slowly]..,Hello to everyone else,.,.have a great weekend,.,.anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8820418

Durn G, I got a horseless buggy for you to see too.
this is last weekend. You should have been here, they were in the parade. Batteries were shot by time of parade. I knew I should have swapped them out.
Beautiful Flowers.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 23, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8821040

Good morning everyone. A bit damp here this morning as we had a shower of rain during the night .
Yesterday was not too windy so I got busy getting a new piece of shadecloth on the top of the greenhouse. Some of the seams came apart the other day and after I repaired with fishing line , I thought I had better put something over the whole roof area to protect it from more damage in the wind.
Its better now an dbeing where it is , not too dark inside for the broms.
Great fun getting the shadecloth up on the top then tying down.
I have a smaller piece across between the two shadehouses with more plants growing in the space. My old dendrobium loves it just there.
Dry this morning but chilly and cloudy.
Supposed to get up into the 20s next week . I hope so.

Hello Charleen, I do love those old cars. There must be so many lovely old ones over there.
Hugs and cookies for Charley.

Anthony, lots of liums getting very tall here. I have given up on my Christmas Lilies though. After getting the pot out from under the bush where it had been all winter The plants were looking very nice until last week when the tops just shrivelled up as last year. I am going to tip the bulbs out and just stick them in the ground . They can do as they like then. I am not going to fuss over them. The other liliums all do really well without any problems.
Hope you are surrounded by a forest of new growth on all your liliums.

Hello Dianne, yes the seedlings do tend to run away with themselves in the warm. I have moved my largest sang out of the mini greenhouse now. He is with the big boys in the main greenhouse. If he & siblings do well they will be outside by Christmas.

Hello Louise. how is your garden doing after all the odd weather ?
You will starting to think about getting ready for the move south soon, I suppose.
Do you have any of the lovely Fall colors or has the warmer weather spoilt the season. ?

Hello Teresa, how goes it there ? Are you still doing some walking to work or using the buses. ?
I do hope they are slowly getting more repair work done. A great pity that you will maybe lose some of the beautiful older buildings.

Hello Colleen. That aulicum ( winter Hippie) certainly last for along time . Hubby thinks its lovely too.
I am hoping my other hippies flower this year . I still have quite a few seedling ones to flower in a year or two.

Hello Chrissy, how is your vegie garden going ? Take some pics when you get the chance.
We miss seeing all your lovely flower, so hope to see the vegies instead.

Hello Pam, Elaine, Karen and everyone else popping in.
I have a few little jobs to do outside and a few weeds to remove so I will put something tasty out for you all and move myself. .
Have a great weekend and enjoy those gardens.
Here we are lots of lovely Lamingtons.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 23, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8821252

Marlene, those Orchids are lovely...and yes, we have our food stash ready for this afternoon too...
Anthony thinks West Coast will win...but we know better don't we...lol

Charleen, I love the old carriages and buggies...we have a few driving competitions locally so all the pretty carriages come out for those...I love the Phaetons, with their high wheels...I cannot imagine going flat out in something as delicate as that...

Bad luck about your Christmas Lillies Jean...possibly they will behave in the ground...
If you don't mind I will have a couple of Lamingtons for half-time.

Have a good day everyone..
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 23, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8821532

Hi everyone ...I actually got some decent time outside today ...but ouchy ! the back is complaining a bit.
The only trouble with all that re potting and hand water with the big watering can is after a while the back reminds you that you are no longer a Spring chicken. Phew I smell Charlie Carp and Dynamic Lifter everywhere ...oh but it's worth it.

It's so nice saying hello to things waking up from their Winter sleep ...and the day was perfect for working out there ...mild and about to rain. Not much wind and with a bit of luck the fires may be out.
Yesterday I managed to hand paint quite a lot of weeds (Roundup ) ...very pleased about that because we don't often get a day that is promised to be dry. You know after those 7 years of drought ...I can hardly remember what the dry days felt like, these past three, almost 4 years have been wet. I wonder when the next drought is due, it will be difficult after this wet cycle.
Lovely Pictures everyone and no Jean I won't be posting pictures of my chaotic garden until it's a little more respectable, there is stuff every where and until that rabbit is gone my veggies will be in polystyrene boxes,I sure as heck hope it does not fancy Brugs or there will be trouble.
Here is a lovely cake for everyone ...enjoy the game !

We will send our lovely ladies over the pond Charlene, Loise, Moon and Teresa a piece each via the magic carpet, Anthony sending some to you down there too . :)
Edited to say I forgot to say ...Have a great night everyone !

This message was edited Sep 24, 2011 5:56 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 24, 2011
2:37 AM

Post #8821569

thank you!!- thats a groovy cake!! -Jean, you described[exactly] how some of my christmas lilys have been reacting,.,. i threw a few, pot and all in the bin today,.,.you have to be cautious, i have a lot tied up in such a small area,,.and a virus could be terrible,..,WEST coast?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8821723

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶
http://www.wollondillyadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/g6-lads-take-on-the-brits/2298359.aspx
٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶
My grandson Jake is flying his way to England as I type this ...his team will be taking on the Britts :)
I am proud but nervous !!! :-) Go boys boys go ...٩(̮̮̃̃)۶٩(̮̮̃̃)۶٩(̮̮̃̃)۶

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8821774

What a wonderful Adventure for them. The boys will be quite worldly when they get back, with all that travelling. I am so happy for them.
Here is my morning surprise. A beautiful morning glory that is a bit unusal. Have a great day, my friends.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 24, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8822356

Chrissy...I wish the boys good luck.
I think one get's more excited over the grandchildrens adventures then a parent. Maybe because we have more time to enjoy it.

Nice day here at Buderim again. Storm predicted tonight.

This yellow Anthurium is in flower now.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 24, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8822359

ridesredmule wrote:What a wonderful Adventure for them. The boys will be quite worldly when they get back, with all that travelling. I am so happy for them.
Here is my morning surprise. A beautiful morning glory that is a bit unusal. Have a great day, my friends.

That is so unusual!
I love it.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8822388

Good morning everyone. Another morning with the sun shining in the window. I dont trust that sun any more. The last week has been sunshine early , but when I go out to enjoy it, I get rained on.
Showers all yesterday morning . I did nothing much until after lunch when the rain went away for a while.
I ended up having to get in and tidy all the little cacti as a hanging basket has fallen down.
I moved them all around, tossed a few odd pots that had no plants in them and then stood back to admire my job, when down came the rain again.
Today, I will find something to do in the greenhouse where it gets nice and warm. I have a lot of nicely rooted cuttings to pot on so that is an easy job . I have my chair in there too so now all I have to do is decide where the plants will all go when repotted.

Hello Anthony. I am getting excited as I watch all the liliums grow. I didnt realise I had left so many little bulblets back where the asiatics used to grow. Looks like I will have a full bed of them again when they are grown up.
With all the small bulbs in pots. Do I repot them next year in single pots ? How long do they take to maturity ?
I hav enothing coming up from the lilium seeds I bought. Maybe later in the warm, something will show. I should have kept them for the warm weather. I will probably buy more later and try agin. They were the l. nepalese, l candidum , l auratum& l. martagon.
Maybe next time they will grow.

Hello Chrissy, great fun for you grandson. I hope they all do well, but still a marvellous opportunity to see some of the world.
Love that cake. So pretty and tempting.

Hello Charleen. Give Charley a hug and a cookie for me. Are you getting out in your garden more now that the weather is milder. I love Autumn ( Fall) and Spring best of all the seasons .

Very nice flowers Marlene.

Hello Dianne , Colleen and Teresa.
How are you all going in the garden ? Lots to do in spring but lots to just sit and watch also.
Hope the job is going well. Teresa.

Hello Karen , Pam and Elaine.
I do hope you are all enjoying some lovely weather.

I am going out to be domestic this morning. There is a basket of washing to do. Its so much easier just going out l loading the machine and leaving it to do the hard work.
I am glad I bought the dryer at the same time with all the wet weather we have had.
Keep warm and dry everyone and enjoy all those gardens.
Here is something tasty to have with a cuppa. Raspberry Coconut Slice.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8822404

Good morning ...well we have had so much heavy rain the fires must be out, we are under inches of water here.
I will have to wait a while before I can try and venture around the place ...still raining but last night it was almost a monsoon, you could not see more than a yard away through the rain.

I was very nervous about the weather with my Jake up there in a plane.
I am very happy the manure fragrances will be toned down by the rain hopefully it was not washed completely away, my poor seedlings I hope they are are ok, the rain was so heavy it triggered car alarms.
Lots to do inside I guess.
Nice blooms ladies ... glad you found some babies out there Jean ...that's always a nice surprise !
Well better go do the meds it's 8.30.
Back later :-)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 24, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8822413

Good morning everyone. A beautiful sunny morning here but as Jean says " don't know for how long" We had a bit of rain here yesterday but not enough to do any good for the roots of the plants but it did wash the dust off. The hippy seeds that I planted from my own seed are all growing. Do they take about 3 years from seed to flower? Will have to find a nice cosy place for them so that they can grow on. Have to take a few cuttings today to get into the post tomorrow. Dianne the 3 tree dalihas have sprouted so will have to find a spot for them too. The bud on Reynella Orange is nearly out. I'm so pleased that the pieces grew as it's a very pretty brug. I'm still waiting, waiting for OSA to get some buds. I don't think he likes it here very much. Well have a bit of shopping to do and cleaning up. The boys have had their brekkie but I still need to have mine so must go. I'll be back later. colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8822477

Look I made a birdhouse, I got some iris planted earlier in week. Yes it is beautiful here. Wish weather would stay like this. so glad you like the MG Marlenann, Wish I could send you a seed but YOU would NEVER get it. Ask Anthony, Well, better not ask Anthony, he gets upset But dog gone it I did too..
Hugs and mule nuzzles to all.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 24, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8822659

What a bird house, Charleen...you are a clever lady.
Glad that your Tree dahlias have sprouted,Colleen...they should be very pretty in a couple of years..
a friend told me to plant cuttings of these ones once they have grown to adult size to make a large clump quickly for better flowering...incidently the pink is officially D.excelsa and the white D.imperialis.
I am looking forward to seeing your Reynella orange...I wonder what it is?

Hope your seeds do come up Jean...the weather has been so unreliable...
I love that raspberry slice, so easy to make too...there's never any left.

Good luck to your grandson's team Chrissy...hope they do very well.
Pretty pics everyone..
Here is a lovely Weigela.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 24, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8822670

Wish i was a bird charlene!!!!-a fridge and some 4xxxx inside,would be cosy,.,.Jean, those seeds take 2 yrs to rise,they are hypogeal,[just keep them moist and out of severe sun].,.,.yes,replant all your little bulbs if you want to,. i just filled the ute with firewood-should last us till we need another 6 ton,..,osso-bucco casserole 4 lunch,'cooking now' mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-anthony

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 4:00 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 24, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8822701

Mmmmmmm, love Osso Bucco...count me in for lunch, Anthony...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 24, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8822735

sorry!! all gone,.,.,.mmmmmmmmmm!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 24, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8822816

Love the bird house Charleen. I bet the birds do too,
Thanks Anthony. I will leave the lilium seeds in their little area in the mini greenhouse. One day I will look in and hopefully see tiny plants.
Dianne, you missed Anthonys Osso Bucco but I still have some steak & kidney casserole in the frig.
Always better the next day.. I may add a bit of curry for variation.
Yummmmmm
Jean
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 25, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8822930

Jean, they need to be planted in spring,[or b4] suffer a winter, then be triggerred by another warm spring,.,. in my case i raised martagons in 14-15 months,.which is luck,.,.if they dont germinate in that year,[leave them alone] they will come out the next year,.,.-if they dont,[chuck them in the bin]!!-what a lovely day its been here[cmon summer lilies]-anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8822996

Anthony, got one more car for you. This one was so cute. I love John Deere colors, so you know I loved this one.
You all have me curious, I have to go check out Osso Bucco.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 25, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8823586

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining in what looks to be an all blue sky. I see no clouds out the window. Of course all that could change by the time I get outside.
no wind either which is a good thing.
Hubby says it will be hot for a few days then back to cold again.
Typical spring here.

Hello Anthony.
I will listen to your advice on the lilium seeds. They can be tucked away where I will forget about them . I may see a green shoot one day.
I do like seeing how quickly all the others are growing. So many different types of growth and leaves on them.
How is Cocky going down there ?

Hello Charleen. That sure is a bright looking car. Can you imagine driving around in one these days in the mad rush everywhere ?
Must have been a lot more peaceful on the roads back then.
Are you looking forward to winter after all the heat ? Its not that long until Christmas. This year has gone by so quickly or is that just me getting older ?

Hello Chrissy, Pam, Karen, Elaine , Colleen, Teresa and Dianne .
Hope all is well with you all. Lots of garden jobs going I on everywhere I bet.

Louise, give the girls a pat . I hope you are getting better now and no further trouble with you carpal tunnel .
When do you set off for the south ? With all the heat you have had over there, I hope you still have the lovely garden surviving down there.

I am off outside before the weather changes its mind.
Have a great day and enjoy all the gardens.
Try a slice of this Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake.
Happy day,
Jean.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2011 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 25, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8823631

Hello and good morning. What a crisp but sunny morning it is here. Lovely. Noisy though. A lot of sky traffic went over earlier - the noisiest small plane I've ever heard, and it took about half an hour to pass over, then the helicopters roaring their way off to work for the day. Thank goodness they've all gone now and I can enjoy some quiet.

That Weigela is like a bridal bouquet, so beautiful.

Lovely to see little bits of colour peeping through the weeds here. A pure white crucifix orchid opening up now.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 3:41 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8823635

Hi Jean! We will leave in about 2 weeks - and I am happy to have autumn come early here, color-wise at least. Today it is summery warm and even humid. This won't last long though. Up here on our hilltop it usually doesn't get as warm as it does everywhere else, so we have actually had a comfortable, wet summer. My plants have loved it!

Dianne - that weigela is almost too pretty to be real.

Charleen - I LOVE youe birdhouse! You are so clever!! I also love the look of that colorful old car.. I'd love one like that, wouldn't you?

Chrissy- what a fun adventure for your Jake! Good luck to the team!

Colleen- pretty photo of your garden!

I hope everyone has had a nice weekend!
Louise

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8823639

Beautiful, Karen! I've never heard of a crucifix orchid before...very pretty!
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 25, 2011

Post #8823649

Really? The crucifix is a "common" orchid here, and comes in the most startling array of colors. Mine haven't flowered up this year but I have pics from previous years. Below is an apricot colour, but they also come in pinks, lavenders, reds, oranges, yellow, & plum to mention a few off the top of my head. Like tall dendrobiums, they can get very lanky and scruffy as a plant, but they have an avid following as they are easy to grow and put on a colourful show, especially when they get into a large clump.

Barry is going to love that old car, Charleen. He's not here at the moment, but I'll show him when he gets back. Love the bird house too :)

Karen

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 3:39 PM

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 3:43 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8823728

Got one more for you. Yes, I loved the old cars , they had street blocked and they were parked in middle of town, This car is about the color of my car. I love the metalic orange. So glad you all are liking the pictures.
Oh, Jean, I am not looking forward to winter but we got to do it to have Spring and regrowth, so it will be o.k. Some of the cars were for sale but knew they were beyond my money. It doesn't hurt to dream, does it???

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8824047

Hi everyone! Hope you are having a great day! Jean, that cake looks yummy!

Good luck to your Grandson Chrissy, I hope they win!

It is still hot here and yesterday my Air Conditioning went out. Had to go get fans. Repair company said they wouldn't be out until Tuesday, but they came today. I had to pay extra, but it was worth it! It is nice and cool in here this evening.

At least it didn't go out when it was 105 deg. F. I think it was only 95 or 97 today outside and 88 inside with the windows open and fans going. Thank goodness we have a home warranty company that covers the expense with a copay. I've had the plan since I bought the house and it has been worth it.

Great pictures...lovely flowers, and cars!

Take care all!
Jeanne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 25, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8824209

Hi all...yes Jean, lots of weeds popping up...also zillions of Hellebores...
The races are at Hamilton today so I can see that your skies are like mine...coolish too.

I would love the orange ute...do you call them utes, Charleen? I don't think that you do...a pick up maybe...
I saw my dream car many years ago it was a 1935 Mercedes sports and it was lilac with white upholstery...the prettiest car I ever saw...

Brownlow medal tonight, I love the blue carpet walk, where all the players' partners show their wares and some a bit more...I wonder what Brynne Edelsten will turn up in, probably nothing at all...
She annoys me because, she and her husband, have nothing to do with football, but he has the money to keep her in the spotlight...he must pay well...

Anthony,do you think Judd will win his 3rd...if he doesn't then Goodes or Ablett for me...

Gorgeous Orchids, Karen...lucky you to grow them so easily...

Here is the my red Weigela, only small as yet but very pretty.

Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 26, 2011
1:06 AM

Post #8824233

juddy again,Dianne., Brynnie- what a joke!!. it doesnt hurt to dream, charlene[ i do it all the time],.,.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8824392

Jalopy is another word for these old vintage cars. It is always nice looking at them. There was a lady there that had these two little Dauchunds in a pet stroller. they were so sweet and friendly. One was wearing his Harley Motorcycle hat. Was so cute and I had to take a pic.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 26, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8825225

Charleen, those dogs are gorgeous! I showed Barry the pics of the old cars and he is wrapped.

Diane, I love that Weigela. Haven't seen any around here. Maybe too hot?

Anthony, must still be quite cold where you are. Good dreaming weather?

Hello everyone. My first large epi is out this morning, but the pics I took didn't turn out well. The plant is Stern von Erlau, and there are quite a few buds on it. Very exciting. But the buds take so long to open. My other plants are probably weeks away from blooming yet. I would love to see a mass open at the same time, but I can't see that happening.

I got one of those wire tower things for my tomatoes yesterday. They are only very young, but already are in flower and starting to fall over. Guess it must be Spring, they are growing so fast.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 26, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8825371

Good morning everyone. Cloudy outside with some wind. Yesterday turned out quite warm after lunch. I was able to get out and start on weeding the iris beds.
More to do today. Hubby says it is supposed to be in the 20s then getting cooler later in the week.
I had my helpers with me when I was weeding. Our favorite magpie, Treasure, follows around like a puppy, waiting for me to unearth lots of tasty bugs.
There are babies crying for food all around the place now. Wont be long before the parents bring them all down to be fed and leave us to it as stand in parents.

Charleen, those dogs are so cute. Love the helmet. Maybe he thinks he'll fall out of the pram.
Yes we do need winter, just so we appreciate spring when it arrives. The plants need their rest anyway, after flowering madly through spring & summer for us. .

Dianne. I have the common pink weigelia here somewhere. I must go look for it. I grew up with on eat mums house and wanted my own here.
Your red is very pretty.

Anthony, I have put those lilium martagon etc seeds away in a mini greenhouse box so they can do their thing when they feel like appearing.

Lots of lovely big asiatics coming up all through the front garden now.
They are the ones I moved from the back. I expect lots of flowers.

Karen, I have only had the one very early epi out so far. It does the same each year. All the others usually dont open until late October.
I do get a bit if a massed display only because I have so many all together .

Jeanne, could you send a little of that Texas heat here for a while ? Not too much , just enough to make it comfortable .
Glad you are having some "cooler" days though .

Louise, I have a few of those crucifix orchids here. I find them very straggly and they like more sun than I get here so dont flower too well. . How are the darling girls going ?
Good luck on your trip south. I hope there are not too many weeds waiting down there for you.

Time for another cuppa before I go out and make a start on more weeds
Have some of these Brownies.
Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 26, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8825410

Good morning everyone. It's going to be a beautiful day. I thought that we might have got a bit of rain last night but it must have all fizzled out. The clouds were coming up from the West and the wind was coming from from the East. That's usually a good sign of a bit of rain but it must have had other ideas. The boys are getting very excited about their camp now, only 4 more days. It's like the wait to Christmas. That won't be long either. Louise it's good to see you back. Some pics of your garden before you go to Florida would be nice. The girls must be big now and starting to behave themselves like young ladies. I have lilies coming up everywhere too Jean. I do hope they flower. They will put on a beautiful show if they all do. My Crucifix orchids came from Leisa and have grown well in the SH albeit a bit straggly Two of them flowered last year so hopes for the others this year. Must go and get the boys ready. Be back later. Colleen. ps this is a pic of the sky last evening.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8825662

Hi and bye just for now ...clear sky and one hour to myself :-)
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 26, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8825847

Here's a better pic. I believe this is Stern von Erlau. An early and prolific bloomer.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 26, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8825875

You don't see Weigelas around very much now...I have 3...W.florida "Rosea",
W.florida "Rosea" varigate and the new red one, which is called Red Prince...so many of the old fashioned plants have never been seen by this generation of gardeners.. how many kids haven't seen a Snapdragon or a Sunflower...
Oh well, we have to remember what goes around, comes around... let's hope that it comes around sooner rather than later ...

I must admit it's nice to see the young families at the the nurseries/Bunnings, choosing their plants...we have so many new estates opening up...trouble is the houses are so big, there isn't much garden space left...

Karen, we don't plant our tomatoes until October...I have started them earlier, but the ones planted late are soon just as tall as the early ones, so now I always plant in October...

September used to be known for it's equinoxial gales...haven't seen one for a while...just a few breezes.
Just gave my largest Brug a big haircut...it filled my garden waste bin...I don't put it thru the chipper, Tilly might pick up a piece of it...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2011
10:48 PM

Post #8826018

Well my long post went off into space somewhere ...lol.
I just heard about a Super termite in NZ Teresa ...as if you haven't enough problems over there.

You know it's getting to a point where no place feels problem free.
I was checking out a place that looks lovely up mid north coast and thought it is impossible to get all that for x x x x luckily my cousin who lives up that way knows the area and she was able to clue me in. Floods ...cutting off the roads every time it rains heavily. Well if something looks too be too good to be true it often is. Luckily I have a couple of years because it's making me nervous. I found a site that people talk about the various places and am a bit shocked. Lots of problems out there.

Charleen they are just too cute :)
Loise and Moon ...a big wave !

For you gardeners loving the lily
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmkBroiw1s&feature=related
Oops there it goes ...front doorbell

edited for my spelling and missing words ...I was rushing.
Nurse day here so see you all later ...enjoy your mornings arvos or evenings (where applicable :)

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 8:11 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8826277

Do you all grow brugs in the ground thru your winter?? You must have some tough plants.
Here is a beautiful shot of some Morning Glories I got yesterday.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8826931

Good morning everyone. Well its a grey morning here after a warm day yesterday.
Very cloudy but a touch warmer than mornings have been. I am nearly done with the weeding of the iris beds so I should be able to find them all again now.
The weeds dont seem to bother the irises though. The main weed which I call a water weed is very easy to remove even though it grows to around 18"tall.
I will paint the rest, mainly clover, with Roundup.

Hello Charleen, we dont get any snow around here even in the coldest winter. It stays up in the mountains. We do get lots of rain and wind. I keep any really tender plants in the greenhouse but it still gets cold in there . They all seem to survive well.
Of course a lot of the plants we grow here are dormant in winter anyway.
I have several salvias that are classed as cold tender, but they never batted an eye during winter, just kept flowering.
I think the plants soon acclimatise them selves to an area. The brugs will lose leaves and can get bad frost burn but soo recover .

Hello Chrissy. glad you are finding some time to be out and about in your garden.
Please show us the vegie garden as it evolves. Even with the weeds.

Hello Dianne. I found my weigelia. It has been overshadowed by the alogyne . I wont move it as it took a while to grow.. I will squeeze in and get a couple of cuttings so I can have one out in the open .
While I'm in the back of the garden, I must get the little variegated abutilon out too. It has been squished. The other abutilons have all grown up and through any interfering plants but I think the variegated one is a dwarf.

Hello Louise. Getting closer to your move. I bet the girls are sensing your excitement.
We look forward to seeing that lovely Florida garden again and the girls too , of course.

Hello Colleen , Pam, Karen , Elaine, Teresa and Anthony.
I am going out to see what I can get done before it does decide to rain on me. I hope you are all enjoying better weather and lots of pretty flowers.
My cottage garden area is s tarting to look as I planned so I must get a few pics to show.
See you all later.
Have some lovely mixed Cream Cakes.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 27, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8826985

Good morning everyone. We've had a little rain and thunder this morning. Not enough to do much good but it will wash the dust off again. Hope it doesn't wait for this afternoon as we have an appointment and then we're going grocery shopping for camping food. John will be here Thursday and stay over night then we've got a Grandparents and friends day at school and then breakup at 12.30. The boys won't be going to John's for a break now as something has come up but I thought that I might give them a day each at OSHC. They're doing some great stuff this holidays. Playground, volleyball, making things, exploring, survival etc. I think what I might do is ask each boy which they would like to do and go from there. If they decide on different things I'll get to spend the day with each of them. A bit of quality time for them. Must go be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 27, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8827252

This morning while shopping I got 2 Phalaenopsis Orchids Iam moving into house plants have baby palms growing in the garden area poor little babies hate to send them to plant heaven they are so crowded so potting some up for inside .-------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 27, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8827283

It's raining... it's pouring...thank goodness...hoping for around 25mm...then I can put down the sugarcane mulch...
Just finished putting all the Geelong posters in the front windows...that's the fun of having a football team to represent your town...like it was, way back when...before the AFL.
All over the place, there are cars with Geelong flags flying ...
You see the odd brave magpie fan, with their house in black and white...but this area is overwhelmingly CATS.

Darn' I think the rain is easing...probably 5mm...maybe we will get some more later.
The television presenter is just saying that he wants no more rain for the race meeting at Randwick...
Sydney's soaked and Melbourne is dry...

Oh well, I might read some gardening books, I don't buy many now...If I don't reread them for a while, I forget what the content is, so I can read it again...
One of the benefits... lol...
Here is Half Cat, the Geelong mascot, on top of the Magpie mascot.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 27, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8827294

Beautiful colours, Elaine...

That sounds like a nice thing to do with the boys, Colleen...I wonder what they will choose to do?
Time goes by so quickly, so grab the experience with both hands..they will always love you, but kids being kids they won't always want to go anywhere with you...lol

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 1:39 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8827548

Cute picture!!
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 28, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8828224

I love seeing pockets of these freesia laxa taking over like wildflowers. I won't mow the yard until they are finished flowering.

Good morning everyone. I hope there is a really nice day ahead for everyone. It is very overcast here and they did predict thundery rain.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 28, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8828275

Good morning everyone. I hope all those in the storm areas are safe and dry. We were lucky here in only getting a few sprinkles until a shower late in the day , then some rain overnight. No thunder & lightning.
It is overcast now but not raining which is good, as today is shopping day.
I will run out to the kitchen and leave something nice for you all then off to get things ready for shopping. I need to collect all my library books to return and make sure hubby has all he needs.
Have a great day and stay safe.
Here is a delicious Chocolate Cake.
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 28, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8828293

Good morning everyone. We've had a little more rain and lots of thunder, a bit of wind as well. Nothing damaged though that I can see. John will be here this afternoon. I'm looking forward to the weekend. We have markets here on Sunday and it will be lovely just wandering around by myself. Might even find some plants. lol Have to do a little more shopping and then start to pack everything up. Have to do washing too so will quite busy today. Must go and get the boy's clothes ready. Will sneak back later for a cuppa. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2011

Post #8828363

┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊ ☂ ه ☂ ┊ ☂ ه┊☂┊┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊ ☂ ه ☂ ┊ ☂ ه┊☂┊┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊ ☂ ه ☂ ┊ ☂ ه┊☂┊
Wet Wet Wet and high winds due shortly.
Stay warm and dry everyone, back after lunch.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 28, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8828483

nice and wet here
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8828507

I will gladly exchange some of this heat for some of your rain! We need it again badly...actually "still" would be a better word.

It is really late in the year for it to be so hot, but there are record heat temps from 2005 that were even hotter so we are not breaking any records at the moment. It is supposed to be "Fall" here, but you would never know it!

Have a great day!
Jeanne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8828535

Still hot Jeanne ? gosh sorry to hear that, I thought you were getting some relief over there ...must have my States mixed up (I talk to a lot of people on FB from everywhere and it is hard to sort out State from State, I wish I could send you some of our rain ...once again it looks like we are in for another wet season, I am sure we will pay the price in bushfires once the big dry starts up again. I will blow it up your way, don't know how far it will go though. Roll on the Fall huh ? it's my favourite season, I am not a Summer person (like you I think ) it makes me grumpy. :-) May your temps drop very soon ...
hugs chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 28, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8828738

Gentle rain all day, no storms...thank goodness...though the winds are starting to pick up...
there goes the new growth on the roses...
I've given up on Facebook...can't be bothered working it out again...too time consuming when you are slow at sorting it out.

Hope it keeps raining for you, Jeanne...our local dams are up to 96% after years of drought...
It's nice to see the dams on properties all full as well...it's been a long time.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 29, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8828755

Same here, our dams are almost full with a lot more to come.
Yes I know FB is a pain but my grand children keep going off overseas so I like to make sure they are ok and I love my music videos and all my friends from over the pond.
I do understand why you run out of time though ...I have to wait inside a lot, because of someone depending on me for everything and the hours are long so for me it keeps me awake. I can't make too much noise, can't go somewhere out of earshot unless someone is sleeping, etc so FB is a friend while I am housebound most of the time.
Still very bad weather here ...shocking winds come and go, the temps are going to dive over the long weekend , isn't it always the way ?
The smell of Mandarin blossom is wafting in on the wind ...so 70's does anyone remember when Mandarin blossom bath oil and body oil was all the rage back then, it so takes me back.
Well that's it for me, hopefully Hubby gets me my glasses in time before the place shut.
These ones mean I have to sit so far back I can't hardly reach the keys and I feel queasy.
Enjoy your evening everyone, I hope no one has to go out in the awful weather.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 29, 2011
12:39 AM

Post #8828759

Hello everyone!

I was expecting some rain today but it fizzled out. Probably have to do some watering tomorrow.

Just checked out the pictures above...some really nice one's there.

Jean ...if you use Roundup on weeds ...doesn't this kill the ground for the garden plants?

Here is a picture of a flower of a Cup and Saucer vine (don't know it's real name) Found it today...I would say it has been out for some time and I missed it.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8829510

You'd think we were next door neighbors, beacause it has been raining all day here too. I've been busy inside sorting things out to pack up for our trip South in less than two weeks. I wish I could attach some garden photos, but I'm on my iPad and can't attach anything. Once i can use my computer again, I will attach some.

Marlene - that Cup and Saucer vine flower is very pretty! I am looking forward to seeing some hibiscus and some Brugs, etc. In Florida.

Pretty blooms, Karen, Dianne and Colleen!

Hello, Jean! I'm glad the thunder storms missed you. We just had some thunder, but not bad. The Puppy Girls are both napping here in the chair with me. They will miss their race-track in the back yard, but they will be happy to play with their sister again.

Hello to Charleen and Charlie and to Chrissy, Elaine, Anthony, Jeanne, Pam, Teresa and everyone else in the Tea Room!
Louise
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 29, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8829600

Good morning everyone. A grey morning here again. We had some lovely rain yesterday which watered all the pots for me. Luckily no sign of thunder & lightning any where near.
Yesterday wa scold but not the icy cold we have been having. Even with the showers, I could leave my coat in the car.
I found no orphans but I did receive a couple more clivia seeds in the mail.
I now have about 30 seeds growing plus around 15 small seedling plants and my 15 large original plants .
I think I see a pattern here. The clivias are slowly sneaking in.
I have always liked them as they look so neat and green even when not in flower.
Now I am getting the different colors and the Chinese broad leaf ones too

Hello Louise, we will be hoping to see the girls once you arrive in Florida. I hope you carpal problems are getting better now .

Chrissy, I nearly joined you without glasses as the nose piece on mine came off, so I stuck it back on with hubbys superglue.
I will have to get anew piece put on next shopping day.
You are a wonderful person to give so much of your days to caring for your brother. He is very lucky to have you.

Hello Colleen and Dianne Hope you didnt get washed away. The gardens will love the rain.

Hello Anthony. I have tiny buds on one of my older asiatics. They are all growing very quickly now. A bit of sun will do them good .
Now that the grasses etc are getting taller, the liliums are protected around their bases.

Hello Jeanne and Charleen. I wish for some cooler weather for you there.
Hope Charley and friends are liking the hot weather.

Hello Elaine, Marlene, and Teresa.
How is work going Teresa ? Are you getting all the rain over there too ?
I am going to get out and do washing later. I love the fact that I can wash in the wet weather and not have wet clothes hanging around.
The dryer was a good buy.

I will leave you some Cinnamon Rolls to have with your cuppa.
Keep warm and dry Stay safe,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 29, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8829761

Not too bad here, no rain, occasional sun...not cold either...

I understand how FB is very useful for you Chrissy...but I would rather go to your page and see what you are doing, than post anything on mine...I have all these Indonesian friends whose names I can't pronounce but they post lovely plant pics usually very exotic orchids...so I do like looking at those.
Took me ages to find that cat too.

Marlene that's a Solandra you have there...lovely thing...I used to have one that I kept as a bush.
Round up doesn't affect the soil only the vegetation it touches...

The Liliums are very exciting Jean...wonder what these babies will bring.

Got to get special supplies in for tomorrow's game...off to the shops..

GO CATS.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8829781

Supposed to be cool this weekend, but it was nice and warm today. Charley and dokeys love the cooler weather.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 29, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8829784

I am "the nurse" this morning ...so back after lunch.
Big winds here, but no rain ...that will be here for the next three days at least.
As for looking after my brother ...I am no one special, just his big sister. :-)
Round Up only acts on the plant it touches , I hand paint my weeds for that reason. The minute it is dry it does no harm if you touch it. You don't just spray it around willy nilly or it can drift. My frogs are all happy and that is how you can tell the garden is not in bad shape re poisons and sprays.

http://www.californiagardens.com/Plant_Pages/solandra_maxima.htm
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 29, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8829817

Marlene. I have been using Roundup for years.
As the ladies said, it doesnt harm the soil. I spray right up around my plants and as long as the spray or any drift doesnt get on them they will be safe.
Make sure it is a still day when you spray.
I know if the drift gets on roses or irises it wont necessarily kill the plant but will affect the blooms for that season. They turn out misformed or whitish
They revert to normal the next year as far as I have read. I havent had any problem as I am careful.
Lots of insects, lizards and birds here to prove it wont harm them.
I love my Roundup.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 29, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8829832

I can vouch for the return to normal after Roundup drift...my husband still thinks that he is at Flemington, the way he uses it...I think that he deliberately lets it drift on my roses...he still carries a grudge against the thousands of roses that bit him over the years...the resulting growth for a while after the spray hits them is very twisted, you can't miss it...When he retired, he started helping in my garden and I noticed that the new growth on my roses looked odd...I soon figured it out...so he is banned from using it near my plants...I don't care what he does with the lawn...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 29, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8830085

Dianne, a good rule is to never ever let a man with Roundup or a whipper snipper near the garden.
Of course, there are exceptions.
We have Anthony, Lucas, Wayne and a few others who know what they are doing .
We are mainly talking about the average hubby who "tries to help " LOL...
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 29, 2011
11:32 PM

Post #8830099

My hubby is dangerous when it comes to gardens.
I think you really have watch them. I agree with that for sure.
The real gardeners are safe of course(like our fellas here in the threads) but those hubbies who just think the garden is in the way are a real worry (mine :)).

I see the blues and purples are back (Lovely) love the Sweet Peas Dianne ! and the sweet morning glory Charleen
I will try and grab some pics tomorrow if I can.
Terrible winds here all day, a bit of sun but the rain is due back for three days straight with cold temps again.
More cabin fever ...oh well that means time to do more planning for the future.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

September 30, 2011
1:56 AM

Post #8830131

i do my best,.,.jean,.,.i try to avoid poisons,but sometimes i use the ''dabber stick'',.,.Off to a boot sale [to sell]after grocery shopping in the morning,.,.then off to work in a garden for one of ,Sues clients -sister,.,.[has anyone heard from sue??- she may have made her millions, or won tattslotto, and jetsetted off to acapulco] and may be too high and mighty to speak to 'peons' like us[ no doubt i'll get a bite if she reads this],.,...a couple more 4xxxx and off to bed,.., a big day/ month--tucked behind me--anthony
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 30, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8830764

Good morning everyone. Lovely morning here after some rain and wind and a bit chilly. The boys have gone camping. They had just got there yesterday and were setting up their camp when all of a sudden a hail storm went through. john said they were soaking wet and the hail really hurt. All was fine last night when I spoke to them and they'd had their tea and had a lovely fire going and were toasting marshmallows. They were so excited. You could hear it in their voices. Cameren kept saying " and you know what, Gran?" He couldn't tell me everything quick enough. I have a lot of broms to pot up today and I have some packets of seeds that I'm going to try. I have plenty to keep me busy. The markets are on tomorrow so will wander down there for a while just to have a look. The council blocks the streets off and you can wander at your own leisure without having to worry about cars. Well I'm going to have a nice leisurely breakfast and then start on these broms. Will pop back for a cuppa later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 30, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8830799

**♫♪ღ░H░A░P░P░Y░ღ░B░I░R░T░H​░D░A░Y░ ღ♪♫**
Happy Birthday To You♪♫**.♥.**♫♪Happy Birthday To You♪♫*
*.♥.**♫♪Happy Birthday,♪♫**.♥.***♫♪ღ​ღ♪♫**
Happy Birthday To You♪♫**.♥.**♫♪and many more♪♫**
.♥.*♫♪Have a great day :O)♪♫**.♥.*... to our Charleen

I hope it is a wonderful day and you get lots of lovely nuzzles from Charlie and the gang !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 30, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8830801

Good morning everyone. The sun was out here but as soon as I mentioned to hubby that I might get a bit done outside, the clouds came over.
It is looking very dark out there now. More rain by the look of it.
It rained all day yesterday so I was very lazy and read a couple of books.

Hello Anthony. hope you find a few bargains at the boot sale.

Chrissy, I have some of the blues & purples here too. The purple babianas are coming out all over the place . Lots of bluebells & pinkbells.
The wind has gone for a while so not as bad outside now.

Colleen, sounds like the boys are having a wonderful time. The storm would just be an adventure for them even if a bit uncomfortable.
They should try breaking eggs into cleaned half orange shells and cook in the edge of their fire. We used to love them in the Guides.
Bananas cooked in their skins too. Peel back a small bit of skin and push some bits of chocolate into the banana, put skin back and cook in ashes.
Now I've made myself hungry.

Dianne, my hubby will only walk around enjoying the garden. He knows if I want anything done I will ask. He does use the Roundup out in the paddock to keep the B** thistles down but is very careful about how close he gets to the fence around the garden.
He knows I am watching him all the time as the iris area is next to that fence.

He caught a couple of mice in the traps last night. They must be coming out of the neighbors hay shed as the weather warms. The magpies love them.

Hello Karen, Pam, Teresa, Elaine and Marlene. How are all your gardens going now.

Charleen, Jeanne and Louise. Hope you are all okay over there. It should start to get a lot cooler over there as your Fall slides into Winter.

I had better get something out of the kitchen for morning tea.
The sun is trying to push the clouds away outside. I hope it can .

Try some of this Coconut Cake.
Happy weekend,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 30, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8830806

Charleen, I forgot. I made a note too.

♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ﻬ ஐღ ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ﻬ ஐღ Happy Birthday ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ﻬ ஐღ ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ﻬ ஐღ

Heres a cake to share with Charley.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 30, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8830846

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLEEN. Hope you have a wonderful day. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8830854

Thank you all, you are so wonderful. Love you all. Beautiful cake and everything.
Hugs and mule nuzzles to all.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 30, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8830878

Happy Birthday Charleen...make it a good one...
Colleen, lovely to hear that the boys are having such fun...enjoy the markets tomorrow...

GRAND FINAL today...
GO CATS.

Have a great weekend everyone, where ever you are...

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8830880

I hate I missed your actual birthday, Charleen! Here's wishing you a whole year of wonderful surprises!! Wishing you the happiest of belated birthdays!!
Louise

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8830928

You are not late, it is tomarrow, Louise. October 1. I'll be 65.
thank you dear...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 30, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8830990

We are a day ahead in Australia Loise so our happy birthday day is the 1st today here :-)
I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow Charleen ...I never know when your midnight happens over there, so better early than late !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 30, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8830999

Ahhh a nice cuppa ...whew !
What are you all doing for the weekend ...I don't know what other states are having a long weekend, of course the weather is about to wreck it here , how about where you are ?
Off to find a photo if I can ...couldn't load one in the brug forum today but it popped up later ????
How weird is that.
Bye for now.
http://news.yahoo.com/listeria-leaves-colorado-town-stunned-scared-070805857.html
Almost forgot have a look at this ...it's getting scary out there when the veggies are making you sick.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 1, 2011
1:54 AM

Post #8831303

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY DEAR FRIEND CHARLEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

October 1, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8831335

Happy Birthday Charleen. Have a great day.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8831881

Love you all, my friends. Thank you.. Hugs to all. Nuzzles to all from Charley...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 1, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8831910

Good morning everyone. The usual weather outside here. Cloudy, cold and showery. overnight.
Hubby says the forecast is for a few warmer days. My brugs and I hope so,. I want to see the flowers out at last.
Poor ranuncs and a few of the other taller flowering plants are all falling over because of the continual winds.
Spoils the look of the garden, but then thats what gardening is all about, taking the good weather along with the bad.

Hello Anthony, Karen, Pam, Teresa, Chrissy, Dianne and Colleen.
Charleen, I hope you had a lovely birthday.

I am going out to sit in the greenhouse as I did yesterday. Its warm in there with the bits of sun that appear every now & then.
I potted some of the baby brugs and will do more today. I have a heap of small rooted cuttings of salvias, and other plants that need getting into their larger pots too.
I will have to think about getting all my plants ready in one place for the Trash & Treasure which is only 2 weeks away now.
Lucky I have quite a few large plastic plant trays that Mitre 10 were giving away 2 years ago.
They do make things easier when moving lots of plants.

Have a lovely weekend everyone and I hope the sun shines for you all.
Here are some lovely hot scones to nibble with you morning cuppa.
(I can just imagine Brian asking about the cream )
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

October 1, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8831912

Charleen A very happy Birthday _______elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 1, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8831930

Good morning everyone. I'm off to the markets so will talk to you when I get back. Have a great day. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8831949

Good morning everyone it's a dark very wet day here ...I hope it will improve but probably not.
terrible day to go out on the roads I hope everyone stays safe and dry.
Our grounds can't soak up any more water ...it would not really matter except for the cold temperatures.
Big day for sport I guess ...wonder how they will cope with the weather.
Try and enjoy the day everyone ...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8832252

WE GOT RAIN!!!!!!! It has cooled off some. Supposed to be 58 of a morning...Mid or high 80's for a few days! Yeah! It is so nice out! Finally! Praise The Lord!!!!!!

Thank You everyone for your prayers and well wishes! We got 'em!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!

Chrissy, it's not so much that I am a summer person...I'm just not a winter person haha. I really like Spring and Fall, but here we hardly ever get to see much of those seasons!!!!!
That is why I liked Hawaii sooooooo much. Just the perfect weather all year long!

Belated Happy Birthday Charlene! Hope everyone is well!

Jeanne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8832294

Still wet and grey here, still inches of water in the driveway ... oh well.
Jeanne it's Spring here (but it's feeling like Winter again :) Wonderful that you have some rain ! Hope you get all you need. Glad you are starting to feel better .
Still better than 40C + which we will being subjected to in the coming weeks ...(whatever would we do without the weather to complain about ?) I think gardeners feel it more than most don't you. You can't win all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dlt9GkD_oI&feature=related

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 2, 2011
1:44 AM

Post #8832395

gosh it took me ages to catch up on posts!
I love my new job but I don't have nearly as much time for the internet now.
Someone sent me a pic of the inner city as it is now with buildings yet to be demolished...
I just about cried when I zoomed in on the area where i used to work years ago, it is so desolate & empty with so many beautiful old buildings gone.
My garden is relishing the warmer spring days, the roses are covered in new growth, the variegated weigelia is leafing up too, the rhodie in the front is looking promising, late camellias are coming out, my lilies are coming up - I have 3 with very reddish foliage - and quite a few with green leaves of various shapes & sizes.
I am looking forward to seeing what I get in the way of flowers.
the weeds are thriving too - I cleared the herb garden tonight & that inspired me to make dinner using fresh herbs - roasted chicken breast with potatoes & kumara rubbed with oil, sea salt & fresh thyme & rosemary...
turned out well, need to trim a lot of my herbs back to encourage nice new growth to use in cooking.
I took Copper to the Dalmatian club shows last weekend.
He was a good boy but at 13 is a bit old to really foot it with the younger dogs.
he came second in the Veteran class on Sat, & 3rd on Sunday.
We did get nice goodie bags for entering, one had a big bottle of flax seed oil & some doggy vitamin supplements so hopefully those will help easse some of his old age aches.
At the presentation of trophies on sunday there were some special awards - Copper got the Special Veteran trophy so it is nice to think that his name & Rally Novice qualification will be part of club history in years to come.
I was given a gift for all the help & donations I have given the club over the years - I thought it was a picnic blanket but when I opened it discovered a magnetic dog bed.
That should really help Copper's old bones!
Cheers all - hope I can pop in a bit more often as i get settled into the new routine - still need to walk half an hour between the bus terminus & work but that is proving very good for my waist line :)

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 2, 2011
1:57 AM

Post #8832396

blue skies-smilin' at me...nothin' but blue skies do i see...Until Sunset!!!!-then the dirty rotten frost comes in!!!--I went to the[hobart] orchid show today,'for a peek',.,.phew!!!! some serious orchid material there!! I purchased 2 mandevillia orchids[good size] at $12 each,.,.4 raffle tickets at $1 each ...Theres my 'play money' gone,.,.,..Purchased a pink lily of the valley for the old lady i garden for,.,.she'll be happy,.-Goodnight all- anthony,.,...Lovely to hear from you teresa,.,.glad you are achieving something with copper,...i use the magnets too!!!!

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 4:00 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8832537

Me too, on the magnets also wear copper bracelets. Help me too!!You all having Spring and we are having Fall. How about that?? Hope your day is great!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8833076

Glad I wasn't late after all, Charleen! Did you have a nice day??

Hi Teresa! Nice to hear what you are up to!

Anthony, you make me laugh!! :)

Jean, here are a couple shots you requested. I'm on my "real" computer today!

Happy Spring and Happy Fall - wherever you are! Here's my Bicolor orange and purple butterfly bush...
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8833083

Bottle Gentian

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8833113

Good morning everyone. So lovely to arrive and see all the smiling faces.
It ended up not so bad here by late afternoon so the last of the iris beds got weeded.
Even with the rain we have had, the ground is stating to dry in the more open places. At least the water has gone down to the plant roots and will last for some time.
Just about all my garden now relies only on rain. I water the pots, brugs, greenhouses and the fernery..
Its starting to get like the usual green, late spring/ summer jungle now. Exactly how I like it .

Hello Teresa, good old Copper. Nice to see him still winning awards .
It would be sad to see the lovely buildings you knew, all gone. Trouble then is that sometimes you get a blocky modern edifice in their place.
Have you seen pictures of the very ugly building the powers that be allowed to be built in our city square in Melbourne ? I call it the camouflage centre. Looks like a giant very ugly tent.

Do other states have such edifices dumped on them ?
We had the "pickup sticks" ( a structure built over one of the roads ) which eventually ended up in some dump somewhere, I think.
We have "the slinky" a weird pedestrian bridge"
Odd large colored shapes sticking up along main roads , which as far as I see, are just a distraction to motorists.
Dont the architects ever think of beauty when they design ?
The worst people are the stupid councillors who allow the monsters to be built .
I think a lot of councillors must belong to the 'Arty "crowd.
I do admit there are some beautiful new buildings around , but they are in the minority.
Oh well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder , they say.

Better get off that subject.

Hello Anthony.. If you didnt want that frost, you didnt need to send it here. My fingers are frozen this morning.
Brrrrrrr.

Hello Louise. lovey to see your garden. I want that butterfly bush. It is so unusual. I have several here but nothing like your bi color.
That gentian is so lovely. I do like the blue color.
Give the girls a hug. for me.
Nearly moving time. Have safe trip and I hope your garden in Florida greets you with a million flowers.

Hello Charleen. Cookies for Charley and friends.
How is your weather going ? I do hope you are getting a lot of cooler Fall time now.

Hello Chrissy. Elaine,Dianne, Karen and Pam.

Colleen, did you get anything nice at the market ?

Jeanne, glad to hear you had rain. I hope more arrives for you and you see the end of the heat.

The sun is shining here, so looks like I will be out and about early.
I will pot a few more plants and see what weeds are hiding in the back of the orchard.
Because I dont get around there much, the thistles and marshmallow can get quite big. I will sneak up on them with a bit of Roundup.

Better put out something for morning tea.
Try some Lemon Bars.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2011 8:07 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 2, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8833131

Good morning everyone. Ahhh a nice cuppa and just sit back and relax for a while. [ truth be known that's what I've been doing for the past couple of days]lol Not much for me at the markets Jean. I did get 3 little Mammillarias, Cacti, that have buds all over them. I need more cacti like a hole in the head but I didn't have them and they were in bud, so that's my excuse. It was very nice to wander around by myself and take my time to look at the things that I wanted to. The boys will be home today but probably not until after lunch so I still have a few hours. Hi Louise, Here we go again leaving your beautiful garden. It doesn't seem a year since you did this does it? My roses are in full bud now with some of the flowers out. When you walk out the front you can smell them before you see them. I do love roses. Lots of little buds on the brugs but GHA and Knightii still aren't showing any signs. Does anyone know, Do cold brugs get the bi-lateral leaf as well? I check my Vulsas just about every day I do want to see a flower. I never took any notice of Sanguinea last year and I can't see any on them yet. I have another paler flower on Munchausen. It's such a pretty shape. I hope the colour darkens here to what it was when I first saw it. I will plant one out the front anyway. Well must go have some breakfast and I'm going to sterilise some more peat block for my brom seeds. I have already done and planted 10 tubs. Definitely going to need that other SH or at least a 3 sided structure to protect the little babies. We're gluttons for punishment aren't we. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8833141

and one more of my garden staff... :)

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8833151

Louise, I love your garden staff. Very busy little hands. I bet they really enjoy helping.
Here is one of my garden helpers. She follows me up and down the rows as I weed. I have to watch as she has a habit of getting in under my feet looking for anything edible.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8833163

Oh my goodness, Colleen!!!! That is such a pretty bicolor bloom!! I'm happy for you to have a bit more time to rest up for the boys when they do come! lol

Jean, I know just what you mean about relying on Mother Nature to give sips and tall drinks to most of the gardens. I do very little watering, except to settle in some new additions. Thankfully, there is usually enough rain to keep things going.

I also love the bicolor butterfly bush and the blue of the gentian. Do you grow the Buddleias there? If so, I will keep my eye out for a baby of the Bicolor for you. This is its first year here, but I have pretty good luck in getting little ones fairly soon.

I thoroughly enjoyed my lemon bar! Yumm! Those were my Mom's favorite!! Have a lovely day, everyone!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8833167

She is adorable, Jean! Must be a smart bird to figure out who's buttering her bread for her!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8833225

Good morning everyone, what lovely pictures ...I particularly love that Bottle Gentian Loise I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like it.

Teresa ...your poor city. Glad you are happy in your new job ...that's important. That dinner sounds yummy, nothing like fresh herbs to inspire you is there ?

Charleen I am wearing my bracelet ...makes me smile .:-)

Colleen you have so many projects, great to see you so full of energy.

Elaine I hope you are not suffering cabin fever ...I think the sun might come out a bit if we are lucky.

A big wave to everyone out there I am off to seek a little bit of Sunshine ...bye for now.

Enjoy your morning !
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2011

Post #8833250

Louise. My little helper is just one of a group of about 12 that we feed here. Most will come and sit on the veranda and eat from our hands. They do love it when hubby catches a large huntsman spider or a mouse and throws them out side.
At the moment there are quite a few babies which will are always brought down each year to learn where the free food is.
I will have to get a few new names for the babies again.
Treasure, in the pic above , is by far the most friendly and will trot along behind when I go to the mailbox. She will stand by a log or rock in hopes of me turning it over for grubs
she does like to sit on the wheelbarrow when I am potting plants. You never know, there may be a big fat grub for her.
Spoilt little madam , she is.

Louise. I do wish we could import plants and I would get one of those pretty buddleas.
Seeds are not much good if one wants the same plant as the parent either.
I have pink , white, mauve , yellow and dark purple buddleas here. The butterflies will be all over them in the hundreds later in the warm weather.

I was watching a show last night on hummingbirds and how they flock to lots of gardens over your way.
Do you put out the feeders when you are down in Florida ?
Such pretty little birds .

Jean.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8833288

Yes, Jean, we do put out feeders in Florida, but the hummers are not nearly as frequent visitors as they are up here. I am going to plant some Buddleias in Florida this Fall to see if more will come. They seem to like my Bottle Brush and Powder Puffs.

I do recall you speaking about Treasure in earlier posts. They are magpies, aren't they? We don't have any, and I wish we did. They seem to have such a friendly nature.

So, you are not permitted to receive any plants in the mail? Can you order plants from commercial vendors?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8833324

Black and blue Salvia are liked by hummingbirds too! Lantana attracts them too. The little bird reminds me of my chicken when I working outside and yes they do get under your feet. Abigail is always on lookout for a bug.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8833331

No Louise, it is impossible to import any plants here, unless you have a nursery or such and have plenty of money to p ay for the quarantine for months.
I do get seeds of various sorts which are on the allowed in list.
I see the sense in stopping plants because of disease or insect eggs, but it is frustrating .
Just been out looking at the garden in the sun.
Here are some of the flowers on my dendrobium delicatum x speciosum orchid
Jean.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8833337

Charleen, we don t have hummingbirds here, but there are quite a few different honey eaters. We have a small one called the New Holland Honey Eater
They love getting into the abutlons, echiums and kniphofias among others . I must watch when the salvias grow back after their pruning as I have a black & blue one among the many.
Missed adding the orchid flower. Here it is.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 2, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8833712

Chrissy...they are wishing you a Happy Birthday on BGI...so I will be be first on here...

Happy Birthday Chrissy...I hope the date is right...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 3, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8833749

hi Dianne awwww that's so cute ! yes it was my Birthday yesterday, but what happens is because we are a day ahead, our birthdays here in Australia come out a day after they happen :) not to worry ...who counts them after 60 anyway ? sheesh !

The salvias are lovely things aren't they ...I can see my purple bottle brush is out ...I went out to take pics and had visitors pop in before I could, so I will try again tomorrow.

Lovely pictures everyone ...still getting over those Bottle Gentians, so pretty ! don't we always love what we haven't seen, I wonder if we can buy them here ?

Some of my veggie babies have just gone overnight ...I don't know what got them, we have a lot of wild hares around here, nothing left at all ...not even roots ! oh well try again and this time I will need to put some sort of protection over them until the big coarse leaves come in. I think the cold wet weather would have set them back anyway.

Well enjoy your day/evening (where applicable) everyone !

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8833872

Hope you had a lovely birthday Chrissy.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8833895

Durn, girl, I didn't know it was your birthday. I hope you had a wonderful Birthday Chrissy.
Charley and the donkey kids sending you lots of longear nuzzles and love. I send you hugs...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 3, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8834614

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISSY ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩
Good morning everyone.
Chrissy I forgot your cake on Sunday. I am getting terrible. I have a list here but didnt think to check it.
I hope you got lots of lovely things.

The sun is shining here again. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I weeded then dug a huge hole to drop GHA into.
No, I am not burying him, just putting him into the ground as he is getting way too big for his boots.

Hello Charleen and Moon, hope you are getting some lovely Fall weather now.

Dianne, thanks for reminding of the birthday girl's special day.
I must be getting old as thats twice I have forgotten a birthday.

I have a few birthdays in the family this month. My granddaughter, one of my sons and hubby.
Mustnt forget any of those..

Hello Colleen, when is your John going to build the second floor on the shadehouse..lol.

Hello Elaine, Pam, Karen and Anthony.
Hope you are all getting some of this lovely weather.

Hello Louise, hug those girls for me and we'll see you in Florida soon,.

I am off out to do the washing , then into the garden.
A few brugs to pot on and a lot of little hellebores to put in pots for the market.

Have a great day and enjoy your gardens..
I'm sure Chrissy will share some of her cake with you all
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011

Post #8834696

Yes, nice cool weather. Beautiful days.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8834809

I'm glad I asked about the "no plant imports" policy there. It wouldn't be fun to get a plant surprise in the mail and then have to pay a fortune to put it in quarantine!

Happy Birthday, Chrissie!! I'm not even sure where you can buy the bottle gentian here. I've never seen them at any nursery. Hank discovered mine growing out in the woods, and he liberated a clump for me. I have tried to propagate more from seed, but I haven't had luck yet. The seeds are plentiful and easy to collect, and I'd be happy to send you some if they are permissible. I'd love to know of someone who has luck propagating them. I was successful in separating a small clump off the main plant. They are stunningly pretty in person.

Cute Mickey and cake, Dianne! You are very clever!

Jean, you shouldn't feel bad about forgetting birthdays...it's not easy to keep up anymore for most of us, I'll bet! I'm guilty as well too often. You are amazing with your personal posts every day...so thoughtful!

Hello, Charleen! How are Charley and his pals enjoying some cooler weather? Are they kicking up their heels?

Hello, Moon and Colleen! Freezing temps for us this week. Hank says,"It's time to leave!!"

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 3, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8834928

Hi everyone ...it's starting to sprinkle again, the ground is saturated already, not good in heavy clay.
Loise our customs would not let any into the Country even if you did send seeds- that is so sweet of you to offer but we don't even try. I did find something interesting though, it's a native and you can grow the seeds but you need to chill them first but plant when quite fresh ...I think they are lovely. You never know, one day they may be allowed into the Country. I thought you might like to see this link. In the old days we painted our babies with gentian violet (that is what it was called) for thrush on their tongues from the bottle feeding. This is related or even perhaps the same thing.
http://www.aussiegardening.com.au/findplants/plant/Gentiana_andrewsii

Thankyou for the birthday wishes everyone, I didn't expect anyone to know any how ...most don't go to the birthdays and I removed mine (or so I thought) when my grandson told me "nan don't tell people your birthday just in case of identity theft."

I love the cakes and please help yourselves everyone, they look delicious!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8834984

Chrissy - that was so sweet of you to find that great info on the bottle gentian! It is so helpful, and it's the best information I've ever seen. One of my friends here is going to try doing what it says with some of my seeds. I am not here when it is best to stratify the seeds and plant them right away, but she is and I sent her the link. Thank you so much!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 3, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8835208

Louise, I read about your gentiana andrewsii and according to Wikipeadia, it is a threatened species in the states of New York and Maryland.
It will hybridise with gentiana alba to give white flowers with a blue edge.
Maybe you can start a new plant going there.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 4, 2011
1:45 AM

Post #8835273

good old gentian violet...
my Mum used it on cuts & sores, ring worm & athletes foot.
Don't think you can get it now, too toxic - I always loved the colour & how it had a metallic sheen, would paint any little scratch just to see the effect.
Never had any infected mozzie bites or cuts during childhood.
the other favourite was peroxide - stung a bit when applied but we loved to watch it fiz.
we've had a couple of days rain, the garden needed it - we were looking at watering restrictions, probably still will have them in place - it was bad enough before the earthquakes but now there are a lot of water pipes broken & pumping stations out of action so there is added pressure on those left to supply demand.
good thing about the cooler wet weather - makes people want to buy merino garments & fabric, business at the shop is steady - best figures for a Monday & Tuesday since we opened :)
the boss is smiling...
cheers all
Teresa
ps {{{hugs}}} to the birthday girl
Hippo Birdie Two Ewe Chrissy
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

October 4, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8835275

Dont close the doors looks like I just made it for a sit and cuppa as it starts to get dark just had sooo much going on the last couple of months mostly only had time to peek in the windows doing the happy dance my life is back to normal from to-morrow.
Chrissy hope your birthday was a good one .
Louise if I remember right I also missed your birthday .
Dianne I saw your mighty Cats won the big one .
Colleen how is the new bathroom coming along sounds like the boys are enjoying the hollidays.
Karen your broms where looking good
Anthony how do you find the space for all your bulbs .
Jean sounds like your new shade house is near overflowing
Marleneann you always show beautiful flowers I have never seen before.
Charleen its sure puts a smile on my face seeing pics Charley and the donkey kids and cooler weather for them.
Jean great to hear the weather is kinder in your part of the world now .
I know I have forgotten someone so will send a big hug till next time.--------elaine.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

October 4, 2011
2:12 AM

Post #8835279

Dalfyre sorry I forgot you all the walking between buses has sure trimed you down the change of job was a great move.------------------------elaine.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

October 4, 2011
2:28 AM

Post #8835285

Elaine... thanks for your nice comment about my showing unusual flowers. Yes I do like the unusual!

Jean...here is a picture of my E. German Empress with lots of buds.

Had a busy weekend with a wedding a two hour drive away.

The Buderim Garden Club had a workshop morning in one of the members gardens. The member gave us bits and pieces of her very pretty garden plants.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8835968

Hi, Elaine. Nice to see you posting! If it makes you feel better - I didn't know you missed my birthday. :). The way I look at birthdays - they should last all year, and under that interpretation, you are either early or on time. LOL

Oooh, Jean, I would love to try to "mate" my blue gentian with the Alba to get a blue-edged gentian. That would be gorgeous.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

October 4, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8835987

A very good morning to all in hurry this cold morning have to clear the yard this morning the man will be here about 9 to clean the palm trees of seeds and dead hanging pieces.-----elaine.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 4, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8835995

Good morning everyone. Well the boys are home after their camping trip with huge grins on their faces. They had a wonderful time. They saw snakes, and lizards and wombats. They were filthy dirty when they came home and tired oh so tired. John is back home in Adelaide now. He left her loaded up with broms and seeds. Another happy chappy. Gran had a wonderful weekend too. Just pottered around doing a bit of this and a bit of that and generally relaxing. I had a lovely time as well. Sorry I missed your birthday Chrissy. I hope you had a wonderful day. Hi Elaine what you been up to? Marlene that will look wonderful when it flowers. It's actually raining here this morning, a nice steady rain so that will be good. Not real cold but a bit nippy. Don't know what we're doing today. The boys just got up so will get their breakfast now. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8836006

Hi Colleen! Very pretty bloom! Enjoy your day!
Louise
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 4, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8836045

Good morning everyone. I have moved us today as there have been so many lovely people popping in, the parking lot was full. We needed more room so we have gone here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223736/
Hello to everyone and I am so pleased to see you all this morning. Anthony, you will like the new site as it has some of your favorite flowers that bloomed in my garden last year.
Elaine, nice to see that you are going well.
Teresa, I see on the news that it is raining and cold over there. Hope you see more sun soon.
Louise. have a safe trip , I know it is coming ever closer.
Colleen, glad the boys had a great time. I think the dirt shows that . lol
Dianne, did you get all that lovely sun yesterday ?
Marlene, more pretty flowers, love them.
Chrissy, glad you had a happy day, you deserve it.
Charleen and Jeanne, hope you are enjoying some good weather and your gardens.
Better move, we have an early appointment this morning.
The small town of Casterton where we are going will be abuzz, as we saw on the news, there had been a couple of murders there last night. We heard the police helicopter going over last night .
Not nice hearing about such things so close to home.
Better move. Have a great day
Try these Chocolate Mint Shortbreads.
Jean.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2011 8:23 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8841388

Hi Everyone! Good to hear from you! I enjoy reading your posts even if I don't always get to answer. I love all of you so much and only wish well for all of you.

We have been enjoying our cooler weather. We are still literally two feet down on rain. I should have watered today but was at Mom's house, sister has plumbing problems. We will have to replace the old garbage disposal on Wed to solve most of the problems. Whole other story...Mom did not keep up on repairs as she should of but due to her severe chemical sensitivity she would not allow any changes that would cause her eyes to burn, so she would not risk much of anything, so now there is alot to be done...we will have to keep doing a little at a time.

I have been down over a week with an Upper Respiratory Infection. May have to go to the Dr. I will start taking Vit. C and echinacea tonight!!!!! Am on antihistimines and decongestants for over two weeks. Ragweed is heavy, which maybe cause.

Hope everyone else is well. Keep us in your prayers. Love all of you and think of you often, even tho you are sooooo far away here you are just a prayer and a "key" away, haha!!!!!! Can't way to meet all of you someday...in this world or the next.

Love,
Jeanne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 9, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8841629

Jeanne ...we moved :-) over to the new Tea Room
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223736/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America