Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: 2nd Annual FALL Houseplants/Tropicals Swap, Reveal #2

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 179, Views: 902
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8816598

Our Guidelines below are the same as they have been in the past...

We're sharing a minimum of 3 healthy houseplants and/or tropicals whose value is $20 excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. Feel free to divide plants you already have or start propagating new ones from cuttings. If your budget permits, you're also welcome to include other gardening items such as gloves, water globes, plant markers, Fall bulbs for Spring or Summer blooms, etc.

We are striving to have all packages Priority Mailed by September 30th to beat frost for those who live in colder climates.

Please DO NOT post Delivery Confirmation Numbers directly on our threads...doing so is an invasion of privacy. Instead, keep your receipt handy, or D-mail me the number you used so I can let your Secret Buddy know their box of plants is on the way.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1219646/

And our Wish Lists are here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197083/

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8816599

Reserved for Participants...

candles4u / Crystal -- > Rec'd from goldhillal
careyana / Carey
catzgalore / Stephanie
chellflower / Chell -- > Rec'd from rvnsbrk
dispatcher1 / Lou
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- > Rec'd from roxxanne
GardenQuilts / Lori Lynn
goldhillal / Crystal
happgarden / Joyce
ilovejesusus99 / Sandy
joeswife / Debra -- > Rec'd from FruitOfTheVine
jsxtiger / Jax -- > Rec'd from dispatcher1
rouxcrew / Joy -- > Rec'd from joeswife
roxxanne / Rox
rvnsbrk / Neener -- > Rec'd from candles4u
tikipod / Angie
Tina_A / Tina

Staying to chat but aren't exchanging plants this round:
AmandaEsq / Amanda
Carolyn22 / Carolyn
Cville_Gardener / Carole
janaestone/ Di
Mud_Elf / Kris
plantsforpeg / Peggy

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 5:43 PM
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8816611

I'm here! With cobbler!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8816614

What kind? Peach is my fav followed by Apple. Got ice cream to share too.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8816677

I have blackberry made with fresh blackberries.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8816758

We have a few wild blackberry vines tangled in an evergreen tree and left the fruits for the birds back in July when they were at their peak. But have fond memories as a kid going pickin' with a neighborhood group and having a fresh home made pie or two and my Mom's jam in the Winter. It was yummy with pound cake!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8816779

I leave the wild blackberry for the deer and critters. Not sure how much fruit they got this year. :(

I've been throwing stale starches and rotting veggies into the front for the critters. I could get fined for it, but I don't think anyone cares since we're on the cul-de-sac. I know the deer definitely appreciate it. We barely got sprinkles from the last round of 'rain' in Austin. Also have a 5 gallon bucket of water that I fill every few days. I know it's empty when the tree rats get after the hummer feeder.

Buddy your box is scheduled for delivery on Thursday!!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8816795

I haven't seen anything on our news lately about the TX wildfires. Hoping that means they're finally under control?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8816797

Right now everyone from the fire areas around me are allowed to be at home although there were a couple fires yesterday. Don't have the final figures but I do know we didn't lose any lives with ours. The Bastrop fires I haven't heard about the last couple days, apparently with the rain yesterday out there and the major efforts, it is going well.

Joy

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8816799

Oh A...I just hear the word Golden Rod and I start to sneeze. Ahhhh-choo!!!!! But pretty!

tiki, you are after my own heart. My favorites are Blackberry and Peach as does Fruity. Followed by Cherry. Can you e-mail me some?????

Watch out in those wild blackberry patches. The black snakes like them too. Not the berries, but what comes up to eat them.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8816813

Do y'all remember Dump Cakes? Just made one this weekend for my son and his girlfriend. One of those,"Hi Mom, meet Audrea. What's for dinner?" kind of things. Went looking for something special and remembered how easy and good it was. Mine was Peach and Pineapple.

Joy
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8816830

I've never made blackberry cobbler before but my Dad took the boy down to pick some. They came back with a good size amount. After they each had two bowls with sugar I opted to make something rather than have the remaining sit in there until I toss them.

We have a load of bushes here that provides enough for everyone. We mostly stick to the blackberry bushes where the landscapers and any pest control won't bother with. Thank goodness for lazy men who don't want to walk down a hill!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8816843

LOL tiki. Boy, are you ever lucky! I love to pick blackberries. I too have to have a bowl with sugar and cream before I do anything else. I love blackberry jam, blackberry syrup, blackberry cobbler. Mmmmmmmmmmm When I didn't have any wild ones, I would buy Marion Blackberries from the Schwann's man. They were HUGE! 1/2 again as big as a cherry tomato. Oh man, I'm getting hungry. May have to go to the store and get some frozen ones!

I remember dump cakes joy. Pineapple and Peach. Wouldn't of thought of that combination but it sounds GOOD!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8816848

I have made a dumpcake with cherry and pineapple. Normally not a cherry fan.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8816855

Is a dump cake sorta like an upside down Pineapple Cherry cake, Joy?

The adults were constantly reminding us to be careful where we stepped and watch out for snakes when we went blackberry pickin. Way back then I was fearless, not so much anymore...lol

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8816856

We had a cross post, Ang. Just what I was wondering.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8816881

Dump cake is one of those few ingredient/quick make things. Box of cake mix, can of fruit pie filling, can of crushed pineapple, stick of butter, 1/2 cup nuts. Dump the fruits into a 9 X 13" pan and spread out. Dump cake mix on top. Sprinkle chopped nuts over top. Cut butter into pats and put on top. 350 degrees for an hour.

There are quite a few variations that I see online now, a pumpkin one, chocolate one, apple one. The pumpkin one I saved, it sounded really good.

Joy
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8816892

The recipe I found was labeled as a dump cake and was a big hit at a Mom's group I was going to. I think I've done a blueberry dump cake too but I can't remember.

Joy, I've never heard of pumpkin. That would certainly be worth the try.

I've never been warned about snakes but my Dad did tell me about one of his blackberry picking experiences. Years ago he was picking berries when suddenly he realizes there is a bear eating blackberries on the otherside of the bush.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8816923

Rot-roh raggy...BEAAAAAAR! That would stop you in your tracks!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8816936

Although we have a bear who lives near by you're more likely to run into deer, raccoons or the fluffy long hair kitty.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8817047

Patti - I am fairly certain that goldenrod is not to blame for your allergies. It's ragweed which blooms at the same time. You can finally have goldenrod in your garden!!! :D

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/goldenrod-460909
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/goldenrod-000251.htm

Just so you know, I feel it's my responsibility to make sure you learn something new everyday.

Loveya!!!

A.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2011 10:03 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8817154

we have both here, ( golden rod and ragweed) it is so pretty along the highways , none growing in yards around here, but in Buffalo it sure is pretty.

MMMM I am hungry now! Going to have to try some dump cake this weekend at sisters place.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8817548

Oh Amanda I just caught the picture of your Goldenrod and it's very beautiful! How big does it get? We need something like that planted around here for the birds. It would be nice to have something yellow that isn't evil scotchbroom.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8817559

Too funny Amanada. I was going to educate the folks the same way about the goldenrod. I was under the same impression until I found out otherwise. Now I have some growing here as well. From a distance ragweed and goldenrod look the same so for years that's what people thought was causing their allergies. Goldenrod is a great flower for cut arrangements.

Dump cake sounds yummy Joy. I gotta cut back on the cheating here though. Been eating out too much for one reason or another and it is all around my waist right now. I will never get rid of it unless I go back to being an exercise junkie. That's getting harder and harder to think about.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8818157

Hey Debra!!!! Guess what was waiting at my gate for me after lunch today??? A box of Honda parts! Everything made the trip in excellent shape except for the salvia which is a little battered and bruised but should be fine. There are a couple that I have no clue what they are but I will work on figuring it out.

Debra sent me a box packed full of plants from her garden! Woo Hoo! And they were still damp when they got here. She is a great packer. She tied her labels on so that I wouldn't lose them (smart), and wrapped them so well that only a few lost leaves were seen. I got a lovely note saying she used my don't want list as a basis. Read: I didn't give her too many clues on what I did want. Which is perfect because it was all a fabulous SURPRISE!!!!! She gave me several perennials, two, count 'em two EE's, a cute "nosegay" of annuals, some vines, some things I have never heard of, and even a couple things with easy names for my blondeness like "Spot Plant". I have everything sitting on my island in the kitchen while I go to WalMart for some good dirt. I will get a couple pics and get them posted later tonight.

Wow Debra, you did good girl!!!!!

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8818658

Thanks Amanda! I never knew they were different and always turn my nose up whenever goldenrod shows up at any of the nurseries around here. (like that matters with live oak, pine and cedar pollen being so bad in Texas)

It's been a rough day around here. If ya'll can spare some happy thoughts to send our way, we'd greatly appreciate it.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8818695

awww Carey, what is going on besides the weather? You can talk, we will listen.

Joy, glad you got the box, there are about four tropicals in there.. ask me if I havn't tagged something. I was hoping it was still warm enough there for you to make a cool outside tub of plants.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

September 21, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8818696

Our blackberries are a distant memory here. They get ripe late June/early July. I did not get any this year as it was so dry that what made was too tiny to bother with. Even the muscadines are about passed now. I did pick some muscadine grapes and made juice and today made 4 jars of jelly. I can just eat the stuff with a spoon! Also made some muscadine drink. It should be ready by Thanksgiving.
The rattlesnakes have started crawling here. Have seen 2 dead on the road, one very close to my driveway. I am sure it had been in my yard at some point. Now is not the time to be sticking your hands in places where you can't see. I have a pile of sticks I need to move and I plan to get a hoe and move the sticks so I can see under them first.
I remember dump cakes. yum. Maybe I will make one soon.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8818978

Hang in there Carey. Some days are just better forgotten.

Crystal I'll trade you the rattlers for the black widows. At least with the snakes you night get a warning before you get zapped. Close your ears Froot Loop. :0)

Joy got a kick out of going to WalMart for good "dirt". When I first went to work on the greens crew at the golf course I said something to the super one day about dirt in one of the flower beds. He set me straight so fast I will never forget. He said "dirt is what you sweep off the floor, soil is what you plant in. I responded with " Yeah, but when you come from a farm it is all just dirt." Makes me think of him every time someone talks about dirt.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8819203

LOL neener

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8819303

HA! Neener - I first heard that when I joined the Master Gardeners. I thought - what a pompous bunch of dope

Dirt is dirt. But I am sure now to call it soil. :P

A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8819787

Soiled my pants over that one, Neener.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8819793

Sorry to be a downer. DH was a victim of corporate binge and purge yesterday. (Dell is notorious for their cycles) So we are now a zero income household. DH is taking it all in stride though. He hasn't been happy since when he found out his company was being purchased a few years ago...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8819811

Darn it, Carey! He sounds like a brain, actually you both do. Fingers crossed the right job or career will turn up sooner than later.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8819815

[quote="goldhillal"]Our blackberries are a distant memory here. They get ripe late June/early July. I did not get any this year as it was so dry that what made was too tiny to bother with. Even the muscadines are about passed now. I did pick some muscadine grapes and made juice and today made 4 jars of jelly. I can just eat the stuff with a spoon! Also made some muscadine drink. It should be ready by Thanksgiving.
The rattlesnakes have started crawling here. Have seen 2 dead on the road, one very close to my driveway. I am sure it had been in my yard at some point. Now is not the time to be sticking your hands in places where you can't see. I have a pile of sticks I need to move and I plan to get a hoe and move the sticks so I can see under them first.
I remember dump cakes. yum. Maybe I will make one soon.[/quote]

yup now I read that after we drove down to her place this morning to help finish cutting up that tree that fell earlier this year! Rattle Snakes!!!! ohhhhh my,, hate those!! Glad we did not see any!!
Of course we were late as we got lost and drove around forever till someone gave us great directions!! Still we had a blast this morning and hope to go back next week and finish off that giant tree!!

Sure wish I had read this about the muscadines too as I would have snitched me some!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8819818

Sorry to hear that Carey!! Hope he finds something soon.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8819878

Thanks Fruity and Elfie. He's annoyed with his ex-boss for not being more forthcoming regarding the reduction since they had a group meeting less than three weeks ago where it was all sunny skies and rosy outlook. He has a fairly generous severance at least. He's reaching out to friends and family and keeping his chin up. A couple of friends have already sent him leads on other positions so we're keeping an open mind. We're fine for a little while at least.

Fruity - this means I'm out of the other swap for sure. Hopefully things will look up by December and I'll be involved in the Christmas swap again!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8819916

That's awesome he already has leads, ya just never know.

Are we having a Christmas swap? lol

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8820128

aww Carey, I just know you both will be taken care of, Have Faith.
{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8820377

Fruity uh oh, did I let the cat out of the bag? ;)

Thank you Debra. I'm a firm believer in 'the power of positive thinking'.

There's a crabby 'ol blue jay sitting by the empty pool. Such a bummer my yard is populated by the most territorial of birds - mockingbirds and blue jays. Haven't seen my cardinal friends in months. :(
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8820461

My last day of work here is Sept. 30th. It is like and empty building here. They are taking down everything they can and removing it. Dept. of Corrections is taking alot of it, and they have Inmates out here now moving stuff and taking stuff down. Plans as we have been told are to raze/bulldoze all the buildings down to the ground. I also get a good severence package and unemployment, so I think I am going to goof off for a while. Signed up to do some "Mystery Shopper" thing. That might be fun. I can make $100 a week and it won't affect my UE check.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8820487

Crit - just be wary of those "mystery shopper" things. I actually do those on occasion (and will probably do more now with no income) and most of them don't pay very much. You may want to check on the validity with the MSPA http://www.mysteryshop.org/searchmspa/ to make sure the company stands by the ideals of the industry. You can also sign up for a certification with MSPA (a small fee) which will open your options up a bit.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8821103

Hello all!! I have been missing in action but I am still here. I am going to work on getting my box out Monday. I hope my buddy likes it as I have nothing from their want list.
Still no vehicle. My friend did not come over 2 weeks ago with the van I was thinking about buying. I found out I have $3000 dollars in the local bank so I am thinking about not buying the van and get something more economical. I really want a small truck like I had 1996 Chevy S-10. I loved throwing things in the back and not worry about dirt or soil lol. Also after Hurricane Ike I traveled the roads and filled it up 3 times with wood for the fireplace. Can't do that with a car. I am really afraid to buy anything for fear it is a lemon. This is a darned if you do and darned if you don't.

[quote] Sorry to hear that Carey!! Hope he finds something soon. [/quote] Ditto Carey. Really happy to hear he has some leads.
Hugs to all!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8821146

What are they going to do with the real estate, Patti? Put up a parking lot of build a new building? I'm soglad you're covered for a while and you'll be able to take it easy.

Not at all, Carey. Speaking of cats, the favorite new place hubby's likes to lounge is on top of one of his target practice blocks...lol Sometimes he calls her d**med cat but he can't fool me and know how much he loves the little Devil.

Been thinking about you, Sandy. Keep looking and I bet you'll find just the right small truck that fits you and your budget. I pack a mean Explorer but only borrow hubby's truck when I absolutely have to. You know the saying about men and their toys.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8821717

Hey Frooty speaking of bad cats...you raised some goodies. :0) Long story short. I am working downstairs the other day. I keep hearing this thumping and bumping above me and I know that Pely is up there. We were playing before I came down and I just assumed she was still at it. Go up for a bathroom break and there she is. Laying at the end of the hall with her arms wrapped around a brand new bag of cat food that was sitting by the back door. Paper all over the place from the bag, Now this was a 3 pound bag of cat food. I would have loved to have seen her wrestling that bad boy across the room. No wonder it sounded like the WWE up there. :0) Love 'em more than anything.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8821816

Too funny. Wish I had seen Kitty WWE as well. All I ever find are the bite marks in the packaging!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8821850

Good to hear about the funds Sandy. That must've been a bit of a relief! And thank you for the prayers. Everyone he's talked to is shocked he was let go. He works with a sales team and all the people he's ever worked with are reaching out to their contacts.

Ya'lls stories about crazy cats reminds me of a tom cat I had years ago. He had his own blanket that he'd claimed. It was a wool throw I bought years ago in England. He used to take a corner of it in his mouth and drag it around. I think he used to take upstairs too. lol!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8821894

carey ... I signed up through the MSPA. We have a company that is local. I had started to sign up once before but was warey. We have a "Money Saving Queen" that gives tips, resource for coupons, etc. and she was talking about this company on TV last week, so it made me more comfortable about finishing up my sign on. I can earn up to $100 a week and it won't affect my unemployment compensation check. So, thought this would be a good and fun way to go. Thanks for the comment though. If I wasn't so warey about things, your tips would of been ever so helpful!!!!

Fruity ... I don't know what they are going to do with the property. There is something like 37 acres there. The state doesn't own the land and the agreement was if the facility ever closed, the land was to be put back the way it was before the facility went in. Hence: it will all be razed. There are rumors that the Department of Corrections was going to apply to the govenor to get the facility. They really like it. I think it would be funny and ironic if DOC gets the facility, because the city of Sand Springs didn't want the juvenile facility there in the first place, back in 1972. The city gave us NO support when it was first being discussed that they were going to close us. No one went to bat for us to keep it open. I would just LMAO of the DOC got it and started housing "adult" inmates there. (insert very evil laugh here!)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8822066

Good to hear Crit. Just looking out for my fellow DGers. :) (if you like it enough, Corporate Research International and Jancyn are two that have a lot of listings in Texas and offer great bonuses sometimes)

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8822122

Boy sorry for all the ones losing their jobs, that is a bad deal. I have never seen a company give an IT person a warning. I think everywhere I have worked, they give you a box, you put your stuff in it, they walk you out the door, and the codes & locks are changed...pretty grim. I have even seen that when the IT person gives their notice, which is odd because if I wanted to sabotage them, don't they think I would be smart enough to do it BEFORE I gave my notice...

Cleaning on the garden room and found some more stuff for my box, now hope I can cram it all in. My problem is some things are just too tall and can't figure out how to get them in. We are really dry but a beautiful day.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8822136

Our PO has the long skinny triangle shaped boxes for something like that. You might check it out.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8822143

I have two of the smaller ones, the last week when I went to the po they didn't have ANY boxes...would sort of like flat rate but may have to go the other way.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8822245

happ, well, he's just the techie that gives presentations for the sales guys and answers any technical questions a potential customer might buy. His compensation letter was amusing because it states the intention to become "more software and services" focused...so they lay off people from the software and services sector. We're pretty convinced it was his pay level that made him a target. His pay was higher than most of the sales guys he worked with.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8822682

Carey, you bDH sounds like the kind of person Bombardiar could use. I bet he could learn Jets ( lear jet) really quick too. They use a person like that for the sales staff customer support .

I just know he will be snapped up quick.

You prolly want the little break, right? Spend a little time together? ( I however, would love a little break just by myself LOL )

Sister and I had a good day together today, ended it with olive garden. Yummy.

I Can't get over how well she grows the things I give her.. her little voodoo lilly is still green, mine are all dried and gone to tuber mode..

Thumbnail by joeswife

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8822720

Actually Debra we are enjoying the time together! Well, with me in school full time, as much as we were spending together before. lol
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8823206

My box is packed and ready to go out tomorrow. I sure hope my buddy likes the plants. Had to mortgage my house to pay the shipping. LOL!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8823227

That shipping price sure can bite you in the butt, can't it?????
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8823350

I like flat rate boxes. I know how much it'll be, I can order online and pay for postage online. I never have to visit our local post office and face Ms Crankypants.

In other news - making pulled pork. I tend to make sandwiches but will pair it with veggies to balance it all out.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8823527

Flate rate boxes are OK Ang. They just aren't big enough for many plants. At least not the way I send them. I had a medium flat rate box here and it wouldn't hold more than three of the plants I wanted to send. Oh well. As long as my buddy likes everything it will be fine.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8823762

Love pulled pork sandwiches with good bbq sauce! We have a little store down the road that makes good ones.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8823769

I make mine in the crockpot. I buy a 11-12lb packet of pork (shoulder?) from Costco which is actually two chunks in one packet. Freeze one and cook the other. I rub the meat down with brown sugar (white sugar plus molasses, never have the real deal on hand), cayenne pepper, pepper, and garlic. Add cider vinegar around the sides until it covers half way and cook for several hours. I found I like it when it cooks all day - like a good 12 hrs. We eat it for DAYS lol

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8823902

Ang that sounds great. You know I live near the BBQ capitol of the world. Shame, when I stopped eating meat. :P

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8823916

I have mine ready to go and have pick-up scheduled for tomorrow. I love the convenience of not having to go to the PO especially since I don't have a vehicle. I filled a Medium flat rate box. I am always so nervous my buddy won't like what I sent. Today was the first time in a while I spent time in the yard. Some of my plants have done really well and others have really suffered. I did put a few red spider lilies that are just starting to show leaves. They bloom in the next month or so. Here is a picture. http://www.hortmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/spiderlily.jpg I also included a little Pregnant Onion about 1/2 inch in diameter. They are so cool and their flowers are pretty too. Here are some pictures from the plant files. :) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/220401/

OMG I was surfing the net and found these 2 plants I really need...notice they are not a want...:) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/127602/ and http://flowers.shopping.officelive.com/images/Double%20Spider%20Lily%20466DSL.JPG

Hope you all are having a great weekend.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8823922

So do pregnant onions do better with the ball somewhat exposed, like amaryllis? That would explain a lot to me...

(Sandy all of the flower pictures are gorgeous. I'm jealous to see anything bloom any more)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8823932

I just found red spider lilies today, and sadly I can't grow them here! They are beautiful and it says they actually multiply, I need to move south...rofl. The others are beautiful also! zone envy!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8823935

I had a pregnant onion but it eventually died in Onion birth. :-(

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 7:26 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8823947

I know what you mean. I send things that I like and think are neat, and I would like to receive in a box and/or things my buddy has on their want list. But I always worry about it, even if they say they love it, I wonder if they are just being nice or really do. ^_^

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8823961

evening all.. came home and my spider lillys are blooming.. guess i have to lift them then?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8823968

Debra, can you show me a pic of the spider lilies? Oh I guess I could go to plant files. lol

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8823973

Hey guys, I am in IL and my flight doesn't leave till in the morning so my buddy will have to wait an extra day to get her package. Know what I want to pack, like you Crit, I always pack the sort of things I would like to have, no matter what the trade is. And I always worry that they will like what I send.
Heading off to bed, plane leaves at 6:30 in the morning.

Joy
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8823985

Amanda did you mean to say you're a vegetarian? (I'm grounded from the coffee maker. Brain stops working after my morning coffee wears off lol)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8823988

looking down at them..

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8823992

have a safe trip, Joy. I just drove 5 hours home today, can tell I am tired when I try to turn left 500 ft from the turn point into oncoming traffic.. *aigh* it must not be my time to go as I realized it just in time..
been wired ever since ..

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8824118

My Pregnant Onion is doing really well with about 90% above the soil. I think I had mine too deep a few years back and that is why they died during birth :( They do their own c-section..lol

Ok nitey nitey time for me. I am exhausted. Hope I sleep well.

Sweeeeeeet Dreeeeeaaaaaams
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2011
3:50 AM

Post #8824271

That is beautiful Debra. I understand now why you were so excited to see them blooming.

That's why my Preg-O didn't make it. I must of had it planted too deep.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8826677

Love those blooms Debra, I looked those up on the internet the other day, dang I wish we were warmer... sigh, so I guess pots it is! Glad you woke yourself up, but that scares the peewanden out of you when that happens. I use to get called into to work all hours of the night, but figured out head bashing hard rock would keep me awake, I would be angry as a hornet but awake...rofl. Warm sunshine will put you to sleep when I am driving...

Oh yeah, box went out yesterday...and is flying high somewhere right now. Like all of you I am a wreck waiting for the box to arrive, hopefully in time, in one piece, and everything alive, AND my buddy likes it...

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8826685

Hope my buddy was able to get the box. I want to make sure everything made it okay as it's been a week!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8826719

Oh Carey, that is nerve wracking, if it is me and my DH has it in the garage I will clobber him...LOL

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8827076

I'm beginning to think there is a curse over my neighborhood. Huge line of thunderstorms moving towards us. DH and I watch in excitement...as a seam opens in the middle of the storms, right over our neighborhood. We've gotten almost no rain, while all of our friends scatter all over town have been regaling us with stories of their bounty. :(

Looks like I get to water again. :(
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8827130

T-storms kept us up most of the night, or should I say between the thunder and our yappy little dog, we didn't get much sleep. Sure wish I could will some of our rain to drought areas, especially TX.

Heads up, dear buddy, your box is in the wind!

Darn mealy bugs have already showed their ugly heads. I've been spraying with diluted Neem Oil every couple of days for the last two weeks when I first saw them, but those buggers keep popping up. Really hope I can get them under control, if that's possible, before I start bringing stuff in.

I recently subscribed to Garden Gate magazine and get their e-newsletters. One of the articles today outlined which plants need to come in first. Many are common plants but still found the info helpful:
http://www.gardengatenotes.com/2011/09/27/?utm_source=GardenGateNotes&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5067

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8827193

I promised to post my pictures last week and got busy getting ready for my trip and totally forgot. Here are the plants that were in my box from Debra. I don't have the plants at hand by the computer, but she sent me a boatload from her place. I got two EE's, two salvias, some daylily tubers that are now growing, a spot plant, gomphrea, begonia root, geranium, and others I cannot remember. She also sent me some sweet potato vine cuttings, and a couple plants not labeled but I don't recognize. I will post them in a bit. Thanks again Debra!

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8827206

Here is one of the plants I don't have a name for. It is so much happier now than in the picture, a beautiful burgandy.

Got my box this evening from the PO so I can finally get my buddy's plants winging their way to their new home.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8827212

Fruity I have all my plants on quarantine because a few plants I received had mealy bugs on them. I also started noticing some of the succulents at Lowes has them so I've quarantined the ones I bought.

I'm stocking up on those safer pot stickies for flying insects and I'm checking over each plant. I need to find out if neem oil will work on things like succulents without killing them.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8827268

Could that be a Wandering Jew, Joy? I'm usually wrong when I guess but am sure Debra will let you know for sure.

Ang, You're in a cooler climate and think a dose of diluted Neem Oil would be fine. Had I used it to spray plants when our temps were so hot, the leaves would have just burned up. For mealy bugs on succulents, somebody else might weigh in to give us a better solution, but I dip Q-tips in rubbing alcohol. That works pretty well as long as you keep at it on a daily basis.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8827285

Rubbing alcohol is an excellent thing! I have a bottle and some qtips just for pests. I got rid of all the scale that way. When I was reading up on mealy bugs and succulents I read a great tip - use paint brushes. Plants like echeveria, hens and chicks, etc have such narrow crevices and a paint brush will get down in there better than qtips.

Peg gave me great advice in a dmail too.

Neem oil will be my last resort because these would be my house plants and my cats are nibblers. (One eats cactus ... even pokey ones!!)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8827320

Ang - yes I stopped eating meat in October 2001. Recently added some fish back to my diet because I'm getting old/for health concerns.

The red spider lilies - you guys are goofy - I don't think I would ever dig up plants at a cemetery. Hmmm. Unless it was something I had planted myself on someone's grave. If someone wants red spider lilies . ... :D

I'm enjoying what's blooming in the yard individually. Overall it was a bust season for me due to the hand injury. Hate to be looking forward to next year already, but I guess it's that time. I keep deadheading my cosmos and zinnias until the frost knocks them down. Thanks for a great year as my first season trading on DG. :)

A.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8827360

I'm trying to find some good vegetarian recipes to try out. My family is in the process of cutting our meat consumption to 3-4 times a week. I read an article suggesting that humans consume more meat than necessary and that adding a few vegetarian meals can be beneficial. They suggested switching out one meal for vegetarian for starters.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8827364

Hi everyone.. Joy that is an alternera? I can't spell it. It grows all winter inside and grows outside too. It changes color too.

Did you find the purple waffle plant?

Purple/red perilla?
Really tried to send you some red/purple and chartreuse colors. Coleus? ( Lime light)

Geranium, and a Small Datura Triple Currant Swirl somewhere in there.

I thought I also sent you i batatas, and an I lutea?
gosh, I need to write down what I send people, sorry..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8827496

lol @ A. You have to realize that the 3 cemetaries I divided plants from were old, old, old cemetaries. Out on dirt roads. A lot of the headstoness date back to the 1800's. One of them has graves of Cival War persons. They looked so lonely and forgotten, I would plant part of my 'divisions' on them. They are maintained by being mowed by someone, maybe the county. I didn't take from any that looked to be tended to by family or friends. Only the older ones that had plants there that had been there for eons and were truly in need of division.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8828127

Yes the purple waffle plant, that is a cool one. I was thinking last night "waffle something" and decided that I was probably wrong. The little Coleus is doing well, and I didn't know sweet potato vines were called batata, I mentioned them.
Hmmm, Didn't notice a datura, just looked it up and didn't recognize any of that type of leaf, but several things were shedding leaves and needed perking up so I could have planted it and don't realize what I have.
I have the perilla, looked like a purple basil and had no tag on it so I am glad to find out that it is actually an herb. Can I overwinter it?
OK, I admit that I am a total dufus when it comes to latin names, I just googled l lutea and got a passionflower, a plant that looks like a shrimp plant and a cactus all called l lutea. Don't think I have any of those, so what was it in blonde terms.
Also I got a pink primrose and did I mention salvia?
Here is the lovely burgandy woody stemmed (bushy?) plant. There were a couple tags loose in the box, could it be Autumn Joy Sedum?

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8828135

Here is one other with no name, it is so happy and has already put on a bunch of new shoots I noticed when I took this picture a few minutes ago.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8828170

My box arrived today from Neener!!

She sent a beautiful croton, pilea, oyster plant, elephant ear, pothos, cathedral cactus, Christmas cactus 'Fantasy' and a red dragon fruit (...a big want!) and a cute card!

Thanks so much Neener for a great box!!!
Thanks again Fruity for another great swap!

I'm off to get these potted...

Thumbnail by chellflower

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8828214

Glad that they made it intact Chell!! Was hoping it would be some things that you could use.
Got my box as well although I have no clue who my buddy is. No return address and no note other than what the plants are.

A huge selection for sure.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8828256

Joy, that second pic is an autumn joy sedum (stonecrop) also called Live Forever, you will love that and so do the butterflies and bees, mine have been covered all fall. (that sounded strange)

rvnsbrk, that is a nice box, and sounds like something I would do, forget to put a note in it. I usually find the notes in the seat of my car, but wasn't me this time... ;)

The boxes are pouring in...so exciting.

editted to say: Surprise, the post office said mine was delivered today, gosh that was fast, I mailed on Monday evening...

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 3:44 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8828365

Told ya I'm usually wrong, Joy.

Wonderful plants, Chell and Neener. By the way, your box was from candles4u / Crystal.

Wow I'm tickled you gals are on the ball and know there are a couple other packages on their way.

happ, the postal gods are finally looking after you..lol

Can't wait for my buddy to get her goodies too. They should be there tomorrow, Friday at the latest.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8828496

Joy, if ya post a pic of the ones not tagged I can help you identify, and that autumn Joy needs room to grow, not many tropicals there except the purple waffle and the EE's hope you don't have the EE's I sent ya.

Where you are at, what I sent would grow most of the year, I think. I tried to send the annuals that would die here normally, but I bring some in every winter and keep them going. Especially what I grow from seed. I am pretty sure I sent some miribialas tubers, but can't remember...

Gosh dang it that one bigger plant is a tropical, but I swear I can't remember it's given name, I have had it going thru winter for three years now.
Pink Primrose is very aggressive and will spread and take over your garden, so be aware when you pot it up, I keep most of mine in containers.

Thought I sent a Yarrow, did ya find it? It does well with the primrose ..
so much stuff in those boxes , a great bunch of plants ya all have gotten so far.. ;D ALSO, go here for one of the i batatas:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53067/

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 7:26 PM
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8828502

I hope I'm getting something. I just noted my name is under the "staying to chat" list lol.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8828505

go here for the i. lutea : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/104810/
and the other vine is pink frost i batata, a lovely pink and green and white leafed thing,

mine comes in the winter time, and goes back out in spring..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8828547

Fruity rofl, it is about time isn't it... ;) Now just have to hope everything made it in one piece, and the post office didn't open it for my buddy!

Debra, I had to smile at not remembering the name of the plant...know the feeling about 2am tomorrow morning or at work you will remember the name... ;)

The boxes have been great! I would be happy with any of them.

Anyone watching the xfactor?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8828558

nooo, he is watching Storage Wars and now CSI. P~ yep! if I could seein the dark I would go out and collect seeds.. *sigh*
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8828566

We've been watching Down Periscope for nearly 3 days in a row.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8828574

Thanks for going out of your way for the names, Debra. Ya know what, I would have loved getting a box from you, and so many others. We have such a great group and I'm thankful you all are willing to share.

I starting watching X Factor last week, happ. Some of the contestants can't hold a tune in a bucket and I get a big giggle out of seeing them try. Did you see the guy last week that dropped his drawers? LOL! There really are a few folks on there that can actually sing. Can you believe Simon is being so nice?

Ang, you'll certainly get a box of plants! I put you down as staying to chat because you aren't able to send this time. Hang in there, Spring is coming.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8828600

My buddy got hers, she just hasn't posted a picture yet. I bought most of my buddies plants and sent a couple that I had planned for my buddy (and separated after the scale issue cleared up.) Got them all out the next morning.

Unfortunately I won't be participating in 2012. Dad doesn't seem to be backing down from his decision to ban me but at least I can still garden.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

September 28, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8828606

My box from Sandy came today! Very nice! Everything was in pretty good shape,too. I have some questions about a couple of things, Sandy.
Here's what I got:
1) Jewels of Opar- had read about this but never saw it in person or grew it (of course) Is this a pot plant or for the flower bed?
2) Wild Poinsettia- This is beautiful. Most delicate little flower. I set it in the yard, hope it can establish before frost. A big group of these would be beautiful!
3) Orange Canna- My mother grew these, but I did not have any.
4)Pregnant onion- These seem to be all the rage here. I'll be sure and plant it shallow
5) red Spider lilies- I planted them already. I have some, but the more the merrier.
6)varigated ginger- I think I had some of this years ago, but no longer. Does this bloom or is it mainly for the beautiful foliage?
7)Agave-- Is this a pot plant or outdoor? Is this one of those giant century plants? It's leaf looks like those giant ones, just smaller. I am in zone 8 with clay soil.
8)sweet potato vines, purple and lime! beautiful. I already made an extra cutting of each, hoping to have some ready to set out next spring. I have often admired these but never had the lime, had purple once several years ago

Thank you so much for a great box, Sandy. You need not worry . You done good!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8828611

I must have read you D-mail the wrong way, Ang. Thanks so much for the update.

It's late for me, so I'll see everybody tomorrow.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8828617

fruity I am amazed they would let that guy stay on the stage that long without pants! Tonight there was a guy that was an amazing singer! and last week I heard a couple that were really good. Funny to watch Simon fighting with the other guy instead of Paula and he has been way too nice wait until you see this week!

Since my nephew has been here I have been cooking hope DH doesn't get use to it...rofl. Actually I know he won't because by the time I get home and dinner is ready it is usually around 8pm! He likes to eat much earlier than that normally like 5 in the evening!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8828629

Goldy that box sounds wonderful! Must of been jammed packed!

I am going to try and overwinter some sweet potatoe vines to have next spring. I figure I can take starts of the starts and have a bunch by summer next year. They are so darn expensive to buy and I always seem to buy them for planters. Anyone else do this?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8828643

Jewels of Opar is an edible plant.. it is a kinda spinach, but beautiful little flowers and re seeds alot..

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8828644

the seed pods up close are so pretty.. like little Jewels

Thumbnail by joeswife

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8828864

I had a Jewels of Opar a couple of years ago. Don't know what happened to it, but I don't have it now. Bummer

Thanks for the update Fruits on my bud.

Now I can properly thank you Crystal!! Great plants and I have some soaking and will pot them all up this afternoon. Have to go to the shed and gather some containers. Thanks again for everything. I lost all my spider plants last year to scale, so I'm tickled to have some more.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8828870

I was watching the X Factor judges on Ellen yesterday. The guy who dropped his pants had a "banana hammock" on. LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8828893

huh? wats that?

Neener, do you want one of these Jewels? I am not overwintering them, they produced enough seeds to give me a million plants.
Iknow this is a tropical plant swap thread, but.. I am collecting seeds now from the Arbor. I know a lot of you want some of these glory seeds and some Passion Vine, I am rooting the Passis right now, and taking names for the morning glorys.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8828899

You know it is wayyyyy to early to have visions of that guy in whatever a banana hammock is in my mind! YUCK! Actually double YUCK...rofl.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8828905

lmao.. okay nevermind, don't wanna know, i just got my hibiscus tea down and hoping it stays right now.

College girl keeps bringing home all these exoctic teas for me to drink instead of coffee.

Thumbnail by joeswife

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8829065

Debra I've never heard of Jewels of Opal. Those seed pods are beautiful! When you eat the foliage do you have to cook it or can you eat it raw?

I've been googling passiflora cuttings and at some point last time it dawned on me my MOM grows them. I knew this but they key point is why haven't I thought to ask her for cuttings before?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8829198

Debra tell college girl there are some great benefits to drinking coffee, Dr. Oz or NPR had a big deal on it. I can't drink it, cause it gives me the hiccups for hours, drank it 3 times and each time that happened. Ever tried to study with really strong belly killing hiccups...? Must be good exercise cause my stomach and sides hurt for days...rofl.

Ang it is funny how we see plants all the time and it just doesn't register what they are. I have been wanting some rose of sharons for years, when one day it dawned on me my good neighbor across the road must have 50 and about every variety. So she let me dig some of hers and she gave me a ton of seeds to start this winter. Heaves I could of had some huge bushes by now, I think I might try to make them into standards.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8829241

Deb thanks for the offer. With all the plants that just came and the ones I have to get from my Mom's I think I better pass. When my Dad died, someone sent my Mom this humongous dish garden. There were 20 different plants in it. We have divided it out and I have 10 of them coming here as soon as I get organized. I can only imagine what they paid for that thing. They knew my Mom had a green thumb and was good with plants.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8829270

Happ I was thinking I could have had a couple rooted plants by now if I had thought of it sooner. I just asked her if she could send cuttings when she cuts hers back. She got a few from Logees. I have 4 seedlings right now.
Could you send me a picture of the standards, if you decide to make some? I'm starting some seeds and I'm hoping to do that with the seedlings. We have some Rose of Sharon on the grounds but they don't look that great because no one really cares for them.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8829329

Debra, I would love some passionvines. I have one that I planted this year but it has not bloomed so I don't know what color it is. Thanks!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 29, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8829347

I'm back...guess I didn't click watch thread...spent the last 20 minutes or so reading this thread to catch up. I plan on mailing mine Monday. Sorry buddy, but I don't like to mail on Fri. and quite frankly haven't noticed the date in awhile. Where did September go??

Great plants everyone. I have been taking cuttings of some things...why I don't know...I have no clue what I am going to do with all my plants this winter. I don't know if I am going to be able to get my GH moved in time or not. It is supposed to be 49 here Sunday and my orchids are still sitting outside. Yikes! Now I am in panic mode.

Have a great day!!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8829369

Lucky Paula! I haven't put mine outside at all. It's been too hot and dry so I'm afraid to do that...maybe in the next month we'll get some rain. Cold front going through tonight...30% chance of rain! Here's hoping...(I've got all my big containers outside to harvest the rainwater from the other day when we got 10 drops. booooo)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8829448

DH mailed my buddy's box today, I am struggling with a major head cold that came out of nowhere! Currently 95 outside but it isw clouding up and there is a hope of a few sprinkles.

Joy
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8829970

It rained here tonight with a little hail. The roof on the added on room Brian rents started leaking. It was new after Ike. WTH... I am tired of all the stuff going wrong. Just as I get serious about finding a vehicle ...now this. I hope my buddies box arrived today and she likes it.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8830068

Sorry to hear Sandy! (even though I'm a bit jealous of your rain. We STILL haven't gotten anything measurable since June 22 at my house. :( )

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

September 30, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8830157

Sandy, I got the box Wednesday and posted. You musta missed it. Check back to Sept 29. I was a great box! Thank you so much. a couple people posted about jewels of Opar. Have some questions for you there. Thank you so much.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

September 30, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8830162

OOPs, I mean Sept 28
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8830987

Look what I have - Pumpkins on a Stick!! I bought a couple branches at the store :) I plucked off a squishy one, cut it open, and removed the seeds.

Thumbnail by tikipod

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8831228

cute!!!!
I recieved a beautiful box from Fruity.. Love Love Love the begonias, devils backbone, coleus cuttings, aloe, accolasia Polly pup. peace lilly, socks, coco peat disc, two beautiful water globes ( will come in very handy) some fert. sticks, and I sure love it all. saved the intro letter like the last one I got from her... do love ya so much Fruity..

Thumbnail by joeswife

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 1, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8831372

What is a polly pup?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8831607

Ang - those little pumpkins on a stick are adorable. What are they really - they aren't poisonous are they? My cats think what ever I bring into the house is theirs...

I also am wondering what is Polly Pup
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8831692

Carolyn they are a type of ornamental eggplant. I think they are technically edible but might not be worth eating.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8831722

Great, Debra. I was worried your water globes would arrive in bits. Stick those begonias in a pot of soil and they'll root in no time.

Ya'll the pup is off my Alocasia "Polly", a small elephant ear. Sometimes I've seen it advertised as African Mask.

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8831731

[quote]My box from Sandy came today! Very nice! Everything was in pretty good shape,too. I have some questions about a couple of things, Sandy.
Here's what I got:
1) Jewels of Opar- had read about this but never saw it in person or grew it (of course) Is this a pot plant or for the flower bed?
2) Wild Poinsettia- This is beautiful. Most delicate little flower. I set it in the yard, hope it can establish before frost. A big group of these would be beautiful!
3) Orange Canna- My mother grew these, but I did not have any.
4)Pregnant onion- These seem to be all the rage here. I'll be sure and plant it shallow
5) red Spider lilies- I planted them already. I have some, but the more the merrier.
6)variegated ginger- I think I had some of this years ago, but no longer. Does this bloom or is it mainly for the beautiful foliage?
7)Agave-- Is this a pot plant or outdoor? Is this one of those giant century plants? It's leaf looks like those giant ones, just smaller. I am in zone 8 with clay soil.
8)sweet potato vines, purple and lime! beautiful. I already made an extra cutting of each, hoping to have some ready to set out next spring. I have often admired these but never had the lime, had purple once several years ago

Thank you so much for a great box, Sandy. You need not worry . You done good![/quote] variegated ginger does bloom. I just now found out it does and it is absolutely beautiful. I figured like other things that have absolutely beautiful leaves that the bloom would be insignificant but is is Not. Look here http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55244/

Jewel of Opar is for either pot or flower bed. I didn't know it is edible. How do you fix it and what does it taste like?
The wild poinsettia gets really tall around 3 ft. I think the ones I sent you were stunted by the drought. I have seeds if they don't get established for you.

The Agave is one of those giant ones. I am not sure you can kill it in any soil. I am so happy you like your box. I hope they have all have settled in for you and will take off. :)

OK my curiosity is up...do those pumpkins really grow that way??? If they do I want some. They are so veryyyyyy cute. A Polly pup is an EE and a really beautiful one.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8831747

Polly is a great ee, the markings are just way cool.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8832149

Yeah they are. I thought mine was a goner since she took her sweet time coming out of dormancy. Now the leaves are already starting to fade a bit. That's why I cut yours back, Debra. You have that wonderful basement room where you can keep her happy over the Winter.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8832322

I love EE's of all kinds..
all these have come from DG'rs.. They are finally looking happy, I really really think that these plants get spoiled to a life of no damage from high winds, eaten by bugs, crapped on by birds, munched on by Squirrels and Rabbits, sat on by a cat, trampled by people, choked by too much water, starved from too much watering, parched from no watering. Dying of a heat stroke, itching from ants and creep crawlies on all my face and hands,and dogs peeing on me They pleaded for me to bring them back in.

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8832325

I still have three outside, two really big now, since I first got them, and one is a pup off of the Xanthumum, or however it is spelled..
I am missing four, They went dormant, and I didn't tag them. They are somewere.. maybe in someones root ball I sent out. Don't be surprised.
Blooming inside now, duranta , golden dew drop..

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8832327

DG Begonias so far

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8832328

PurpleCestrum is now blooming , inside.

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8832329

velvet Philo from a DG'r

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:38 PM

Post #8832333

no pods yet, have no clue where the little cats went, prolly got ate by a bird.

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8832335

coming inside tommorrow, will try to make it multiply.

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8832336

will have seeds for you

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8832338

I have kept my 14 little impatiens alive somehow all summer, I just can't let them go. Does anyone want any of these beautiful things.? I only am keeping two if them. I am willing to tag them. LOL with your name.. ;D

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8832339

a nice group.. will have a North Fence bag and a South Fence bag, Arbor bag, and a Patio Mix Bag. Seeds in the bag, LOL not tagged..

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8832341

Okay, lets see your swap stuff now! I have hogged the thread talking to myself. Sorry..
Spring Tropical Swap? Yes? Or, Spring Swap?

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8832343

DG seed results, someone here sent me these..I have to read the packets//Fruity?
okay that is it.. sorry..I GUESS i NEED TO OPEN A THREAD TO CHAT EH?

Thumbnail by joeswife

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8832531

I love seeing your blooms Debra! Beautiful.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8832576

Deb

Simply gorgeous...
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8832608

Debra I love all your beautiful blooms. Which 4o'clock is the one you posted a picture on your Post #8828905 could that be Broken Colors? I have Fushia and Yellow seeds if you want to trade.

It is so cool out this morning. I love it!!! I need to start moving plants under my hoop house so I get an early start on any freeze we get. Everything has been weakened in this drought no matter how good they look so any little freeze will do some damage. I think I will go out and see if I can harvest some seeds from anything.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8832611

It's so nice to see green things Debra!

Wish I knew if my buddy ever got her box. Sent it two weeks ago. :(
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8832614

Carey - I would dmail her at this point...

Sorry about that - I was not finished posting and the cat sat on my keyboard. For some reason when I am on the computer he thinks it is his time.

Anyway, Carey I would defintitely dmail her to see if they arrived. I know the plants I sent to you in a trade never did arrive.

Debra - if you do start another thread with your beauties - let us know. I would love to be included. Your plants are so beautiful and heatthy looking. Wish mine looked as good. I am having issues with spider mites and recently found mealy bugs on my phaleonopsis orchid...

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 10:30 AM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8832644

Carolyn, get the WINDEX OUT AND SPRAY YOUR PLANTS. ANG TOLD US about this treatment a while back, and gee whiz it sure works good.

JOY!!!!! It is called Irsene! ( the reddish plant) I found the parent plant out front this am, and it still had it's tag. It really roots easily for a bushy type plant if u like. I like mine to wander around stuff. It is different for the chicken gizzard type. that is what is on the tag , tho.

Sandy, here is a hug. ((((sandy)))) I will you all a few of the broken colors and new 4 o clocks if ya want.

And, if I were you I would let your stuff go ahead and seed out. if parent plants don't make it, babies might surprise you. I will gather you a few of the broken colors and new 4 o clocks if ya want. It is my pleasure to share.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8832648

I'm starting to have real issues with whiteflies on my outdoor plants. Had a few mealies a couple months ago but I think I got rid of them.

I'll wait a couple more days and hope, then I'll try dmailing her. :(
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8832650

Deb - now that you mention the windex, I do vaguely remember it. Looks like I need to dmail Ang with my questions. Big thanks, hon.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 2, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8832712

Got my box from Roxanne - wow - she really outdid herself. I will post a pic later, haven't had time to really look through it yet. I'm going to be planting plants all week. Yay! Thank you Roxanne!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8832768

Carey, I have been battleing white flies here outside too. I have no clue where they came from, I heard they come from eggs laid in soil, so they could have come from Big Box store plants, trades, or what ever. I am always digging stuff up out in the wild, too. I use windex on those in the ground and around the pots too. in and out. I do add neem or olive oil to the soil drench. seems to help. ( olive oil doesn't harden up, and seems to dispurse easier on a spray mode) I figure oil is oil.. I also use gray water when ever I can in the pots and containers now, and been pouring it on the beanpatch garden where the tropicals are growing atm.. havn't even seen a fly around that area.
Carolyn, how ya doing?

meeting of the Robins ...

Thumbnail by joeswife

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8832860

Debra I would love some 4 o'clock seeds. I see in your cute Robin picture you have yellow 4 o'clocks. You must have taken that picture before 4 o'clock as they are not open...lol What is your new one? I love 4 o'clocks.

It was cool out this morning but I got really hot out there. I was digging up some red salvia, Wild Poinsettia, Jewels of Opar and planting in pots incase a friend of mine does a flea market and allows me to take some plants. I might as well take advantage of it as some of these are coming up all over.

Does anyone want some yellow or fuschia 4 o'clock seeds? They are really starting to set some. Maybe I will try to sell some on Ebay. How much would I ask for 10 seeds? Just a thought as Avon is really suffering due to no vehicle. :( I also miss my truck as my tailgate was my potting table. With my back it was the right height for potting. I think I really will be looking for a small truck.

I have a headache now as I only got 4 hrs of sleep and got so hot outside. Time to eat, shower and rest. I have some pictures to share as soon as I cool off and eat something. Oh I have not received a box yet incase you sent it Carey. I sure hope it is not lost. Do you have a tracking number to check?

Oh Great News!!! The outpatient place I go for therapy and depression 5 days a week says I am doing so great I am down to 3 days a week!!!!! Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. That will give me 4 day weekends. It was a year ago this month I started the ECT (shock) treatments. I have not felt this Mentally Great ever. Thank you Lord!!! I give him the Glory for things like ECT (shock) treatments, Meds, and Therapy, he made to bring healing.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8832940

Sandy Last year I sold 20 seeds for 1.50 on ebay. letting you know they went quick.
I have so many colors, I love them almost as much as brugs LOL
oh and morning glorys.
and... hibiscus.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8832984

Deb - I am well. Still have much to in the yard and need to think about bringing in some things. I am thinking I should take some cuttings from my dragonwing begonia and bring them in so I have it for next year. I also have some epis on my back porch and then my callas will need to come in as well as my tuberous begonias. If it would just stop raining! I shouldn't complain -too many people lost their homes in this area.

Sandy - sounds like all in all, things are better for you and double hurray that you are doing well enough for them to cut back on your treatments. That is wonderful news. We are all here for you!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8833005

I mailed my buddy's box yesterday morning (Saturday)...sure hope she enjoys the goodies!!!!!

I'm off work today so heading outdoors with the kids to tend gardens.
Y'all have a great day!!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8833067

Wow Carolyn - your begonia is gorgeous. Mine has lost almost all of it's leaves for some reason with only pendulous flowers at the end of long stalks. Time for a haircut methinks. I have to check my tradelist to see who wanted some. Debra! Maybe you Carolyn! LOL.

It was cool here today, but pretty. I do love the fall, but I'm not quite ready for the dip in temperatures. With the hand injury, my perspective on time/the seasons is a little warped this year. I haven't gotten to watch them this closely in forever. Hope to get to back to some kind of work soon. My expectations of doing field work in horticulture and/or restoration have taken a hit. I sure hope I can use my hand freely when the "restrictions" are lifted. I do have symptoms, so I am taking it easy, but every now and then when I'm in the yard I imagine that there is someone out there trying to get a picture of me pulling wiregrass with my right hand. :P

Have a good night.

A.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8833078

aw Amanda, I am sorry you feel that way, wish I could instantly fix your hand, and rewind the sumer back to spring for us all.
Chell, you sound like you are going to have so much fun!

And I agree, Carolyn, those begoinas are awsome. I would bring in the whole pot LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8833125

Amanda

I too wish I could give you Summer again. Hopefully over time, your injury will be less of a problem to you. I am not familiar with your injury, but one can hope. Without hope, we really don't have anything, do we?

Deb - wish I could bring in the entire pot - the pot is huge though. DH liked it so much he wants to put one in the other deck pot as well next year.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8833249

Thanks girls - I am trying to look at it as a "sign" maybe that my skills may be perhaps more useful in a job that requires less digging, less sun damage to my skin, and less frizzy fly-away hair in 100 degree heat. :D

Check out my picture on my "profile" and tell me - might not want to go THAT far back. But somewhere in between. :)

I just started sort of experimenting with succulents this year, and the window box that I planted with plants from the farmers' market have spread and filled in nicely. So I started another little tray. It's not quite fairy garden/miniature stuff, but I have several bonsai flat containers that will make nice displays and maybe gifts for Christmas or something. :)

I can do THIS kind of gardening. Thanks all. Have a goodnight and a pleasant tomorrow.

A.

p.s. Andy Rooney's last piece on CBS 60 Minutes this evening...
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8833292

The picture posted you may want to skip once you read this.
I am sure tired. I worked so much in the yard I am wore out. I got overheated twice then after I came in I got chills and now I am running to the bathroom. I guess I shouldn't try to do it all in 1 day. I had a wonderful experience a few weeks ago and for some reason my cellphone did not receive the pictures from my son's camera. I am going to try to get them emailed to me so I can share. But for as wonderful as that was today was horrid to the same degree. A couple weeks ago a Hummingbird landed on my son's hat and he had left the door open so it buzzed right in. It took forever to catch the frantic little cutie. Wow was the a wonderful experience. I kissed and kissed it's little head. I would tell my DS when he was a baby If a piece would come off with each kiss he would have disappeared in a few hours. Well you can imagine with a little hummingbird it wouldn't take many kisses and he would have been gone by the time I was done :) I brought him in so I could let him out the other side of the house. DS said wait Bryan probably wants to see him. He did. We very gently switched him into Bryan's hand. The little hummingbird seemed to have had a heart attack as Bryan opened his hand and it just laid there on it's side. I told him be careful as it may be playing Possum. We went outside and he opened his hand and it just laid there. My DS went to touch his tail and off he went. Sooooooo Cute. That is the 3rd time in my life I have held one. The 2 other times they were in the garage.

But today I was taking pictures and thought there was a lizard on the feeder as they have been eating out of one of them. The closer I got I couldn't tell what it was. Then to my Horror I realized it was a dead Hummingbird. It had got stuck in the feeder and couldn't get out. How it got stuck the way it did I will never know. It is a lesson as I will start looking at it every day. I got him out and buried him. It broke my heart to see such a thing as I collect Hummingbird stuff because I love them so much. Forgive me for posting pictures but I feel so at home here and share everything with all of you. I also want you to see how it happened. So maybe it can be avoided for all of us. Maybe a different feeder or any ideas would help. It is really a freak accident. I did bury it in a safe place under a candle stick tree.

Thumbnail by ilovejesus99

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8833313

Oh Sandy I would feel the same way! What a heart-breaking experience for you. :(

Debra, I'm mostly find them on my plumis, and I defoliate before I bring them inside for the winter. It's just they look so miserable. :/

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8833373

Oh I am so sorry. :/

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8833379

Oh Sandy, I am so sorry. I don't understand how he got stuck... is there something with the feeders?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8833382

Sandy, there is an Angel flying around you always, the way you love things like you do. Hummers are so special. I use a single spout drop feeder, but they never drink from it, they just get their food from my gardens. It looks like he was attacked by something and that something tried to get it out by that hole there. Don't let this bother you, there will be more hummers for you.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8833461

(((Sandy))) I felt you pain and agree it looks like something (another bird?) attacked the hummer. We love you and am so glad you feel comfortable sharing the good and sad with us. I'm so proud of the progress you've made fighting depression and that you're finally having days filled with rainbows after the stormy times you've been through. You have such a big ♥

Andy Rooney went out in his usual style. It's hard to believe he's 92. Sunday nights sure won't be the same without seeing him on a regular basis.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8833889

Got my box from happgaden last week. It is amazing! Here's what I got... Mojito EE, Basjoo banana, Boa EE, Sting ray EE, unk Philodendron, anthurium clarinervium. I love ee's and have looked at these and never bought! I've tried leaving a basjoo outside for the winter and it didn't live so I think I'll take it in and out, I have a greenhouse this year so maybe I can keep it going through the winter. I have never seen this anthurium, very cool leaves! And the philo is really pretty too. Thanks for everything I love them! Really great packaging too! I'm surprised your zone is 5, I would have thought you were at least 7. Learned something new today, cool!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8834142

Addition to Debra's comment about the Windex. Be sure it is the original that has amonia in it. I buy the cheapest I can find that has the amonia.

Debra, I would love some broken color 4 o'clocks and morning glories if you have enough.

Sandy ... all I can say is Praise the Lord!!! So glad you are feeling so much better. You "sound" better too.

A. The cane begonia you sent is doing GREAT.

The butterfly bush I got looked pretty dead on the top, but I saw green sprouts in the roots. It hasn't come on up yet though.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8834151

Good news, Patti! ;)

Did I tell you I was going to send you something else? I haven't been using my tradetracker like I should. ALSO - forgive me - it's pretty bad when you can't afford to buy stuff to send, let alone scrape together the damned POSTAGE. Yargh.

Hope this mess turns around soon. So I can get these plants in the mail!!!

Have a great day everyone.

A.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8834212

Do tell about the windex... or perhaps link me to the posting on it...

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8834671

First let me say - I LOVE EVERYTHING MY BUDDY SENT! Caps required, seriously.

My buddy is Joy and she sent me a load of succulents, two orchids, a ginger and something that may be mint or a begonia - as it had two tags.

I received a bunch of echeveria pups and haworthia.
A plant I think is Kalanchoe
Euphorbia flanaganii cristata 'green gold'
A HUGE Gaseraloe
2 orchids
Peach Delight Ginger
Small little group of succulent pups

I apologize for not using my better camera but I can't find my battery charger.

Thumbnail by tikipod

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8834714

Ang

very nice.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8834827

I got so excited about my box coming that I forgot to look to see who sent it...be right back. It is chellflower. I got a great box. I got 2 thing I already had but can always use more. Arrowhead vine and Variegated Ginger.

I got a mother-in-law tongue which is great since mine froze. I got a Christmas cactus, a Split Leaf Philo, A HUGE Pink Crinum, A lime green Potato Vine ( :) The one I do not have :) , A Huge Bengal Tiger Canna, an Elephant ear and an aloe. Thanks CHELL you did an Awesome job.When I get home tomorrow everything will be planted. I really really really love everything.

Boy did I goof up :( I decided to fill my squirrel feeders with bird food today. (by the way don't buy Walmarts 15-20 lb bag of wild bird food. It has cracked corn and not much seed. Also it is full of dust off the corn. really pathetic. Probably 5 lbs of it. How are they suppose to eat that? Anyway I spent an hour picking 4 o'clock seeds yesterday making sure which plant was pink and which was yellow. I used paper plates so I can let them dry before I bag them so they don't mold. Well yep you guessed it. I set the bird seed up where my tools are and darn if I did not knock something into the plates and they went flying...What a dunce. I guess I will sell them as a pink and yellow mix...:( and I am not even blonde :( Not meaning to offend anyone :)

OK going to run...well really relax not run. Hugs to all of you..and Thanks again. Oppps almost forgot my picture.

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8834828

And another shot

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8834880

Excellent plant choices for you, Sandy and Ang.

Somebody should have rattled my chain to start a new thread. Come on over...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223622/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America