Photo by Melody

Books, Movies, and TV: What is your favorite site to watch free movies and TV shows

Communities > Forums > Books, Movies, and TV
bookmark
Forum: Books, Movies, and TVReplies: 17, Views: 168
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Canada60
Maple, ON

September 20, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8817018

Online ?
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8853982

I use hulu.com.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9237426

If you have an Amazon Prime membership, there are lots of movies you can stream for comfree. Also, YouTube has a whole movie section. Another site with free movies is crackle.com
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9525789

If you have a ROKU streamer, there are tons of free movie and tv show channels available to watch. I bought one and it is the best investment I ever made. netflix, hbo, amazon, acornonline, pbs so many many channels, most of them free, some with a subscription. (usually like 2.99 per year)

oops 2.99 a month

This message was edited Aug 6, 2013 12:35 PM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2013
11:16 PM

Post #9622728

hulu and amazon prime(guess not technically free but I already had it so getting some free movies was a bonus for me)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2013
4:10 AM

Post #9719312

We like Netflix a lot. I know you said free but the base plan is so cheap...under $10 a month for streaming very current movies and programs. We had the original Hulu, subscribed to Netflix and later tried a free month of the subscriber Hulu. We didn't care for the Hulu interface and found navigating cumbersome compared to Netflix. I keep a variety of programs qued, using my laptop as a portable entertainment system while doing chores around the house. The documentary library is huge.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9722692

I also found Hulu a pain to navigate compared to netflix.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2014
8:09 PM

Post #9742961

risingcreek, tell me about ROKU
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2014
12:08 PM

Post #9743349

okay but I not very technical. it is a small device that you connect directly to your tv. You do have to have internet in your house somewhere with a wireless router. you just connect it, one set of cables to tv and one wire to a plug, both come with the roku. then you go online to roku.com and open an account (free) and start chosing the channels you want. you can also add the channels right on your tv. some are free, some have a monthly fee(like netflix) some have a one time charge (usually very nominal from 99cents to 4.99) it always tells you before you add if the channel is free or has a fee. if you have cable or fios on your tv, you can also get a lot of those channels to your roku, like espn, disney, pbs, hbogo, fox, syfy,
I suggest you go to roku.com and browse the channels to see if there are things you would be interested in.
the box can cost anywhere from 49.00 to 79.00, but I bought the least expensive one and am very happy with it. you can also get them on ebay for even less.

hope this helps

and I hope I didnt sound like a commercial, but I am so happy with mine.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2014
12:57 PM

Post #9743378

Thank you, rc. more info from you then elsewhere. do you have to have a separate ROKU device for ea. tv?
I am getting out of our Comcast cable. Way tooooo $.
Thank you again.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2014
2:57 PM

Post #9743415

We have to have cable for reception but canceled all the extras once we put roku boxes in the houses. If you subscribe to a channel like, lets say Netflix, you can watch on your computer while doing tasks and then stop and turn on the TV, then go to your subscription channel for a larger screen. If I go to a place in the house without a roku, and want to watch something other than basic cable, I bring along the laptop.

Many new TVs are "smart" TVs and have the equivalent of a roku built into the unit. If you are looking at new TVs check into that.

We have a cottage in the country and paid for satellite for years. We are not there for months so it was an expensive luxury to pay for that there and cable in Atlanta. Now we have a roku box up there and two in Atlanta and pay for only one subscription...Netflix. I can watch Netflix wherever we are that has internet. We also enjoy Pandora music (free), where you can set up your own music profile, PBS, (free) and many other free venues. Hope this helps.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2014
3:57 PM

Post #9743450

thank you.
why do you have to have cable for reception? An issue because where you live?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2014
4:07 PM

Post #9743456

Our home in Atlanta is far from the street and on several acres.Though it's in the city proper, we are buried in deep woods. Cable is the price we pay for privacy and sustaining a small wildlife preserve in the midst of six million people.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2014
11:05 AM

Post #9743954

The following is from the ROKU website:
"In general, the faster your Internet connection, the better the video quality. For the best viewing results, we recommend a minimum of 1.5 Mbps for standard definition and 3.0 Mbps for HD content. To test your network speed, visit either one of the following (free) websites".

I am dropping my Comcast tv. my internet speed will be 25 mega bits.

Can someone translate for me? Is 25 mb adequate?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2014
12:37 PM

Post #9744002

We have 3 at Maypop and 12 in Atlanta. You're better than good.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2014 3:37 PM
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2014
7:31 PM

Post #9744283

yes I believe you would have to have a box for each tv unless you have one the new smart tvs. not positive though.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2014
4:15 PM

Post #9892763

We have had ROKU for 6 months. I have watched movies via Blockbuster channel. Is there another movie channel or method where I can 'pause' a movie? I was in the middle of a movie last night and the phone rang. I did not answer as I could not pause it and had pd $ for the movie.

I have the ROKU remote and the tv remote only.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2014
7:24 PM

Post #9892941

Netflix.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs: At the Earth's Core dave 8 Jul 12, 2007 7:54 AM
Harry Potter?? evelyn_inthegar 63 Feb 23, 2008 5:25 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower gardenwife 40 Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America