Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: Compact for macros

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 3, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2011
1:51 AM

Post #8818900

I am debating getting a macro lens for my Canon T2i or just getting a small compact if I can find one that takes great macros. I really do not want to have to change the lens every few minutes as I walk thru an arboretum. It would make me nuts so I was thinking better to get a small compact for my pocket for macros and have both cameras. Any ideas?

I have been processing pics I took in 2008 with a Canon PowerShot SD950 IS and am surprised at how good they are. I have had several later model Canons since and none took such good macros. I also recall how good that camera was at taking in focus pic out the window of a fast moving car. No other compact Canon since has been able to do that. Maybe I should try to find it and take it with me. LOL

From a camera that came out in 2007 Canon PowerShot SD950 IS

Thumbnail by Kell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2011
1:52 AM

Post #8818901

Here is another from my 2007 compact. This is smaller than a quarter.

Thumbnail by Kell

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8818972

Excellent macros Kelly! If you need to zoom and take macros then stick with the compact. The problem with a dedicated macro on a DSLR is the fixed length. I have a Quantaray 50mm macro and a Canon 100mm macro. The Quantaray was good until I dropped it and now the auto focus doesn't work past a certain point (I must manually focus past this point to regain auto focus) so I rarely use it anymore. The 100mm is excellent but for normal shots I must walk backwards to get the entire scene which may be impossible in a small space. Zoom lenses are the way to go on a tour especially crowded arboretums.

Saw this big bug (looked like a mosquito on steroids) on our front door a week ago. I got the 100mm macro mounted and tried some handshots which were okay but not great. I then got the tripod, cable release, and big flash with a remote cord out and went to town. I'm surprised the bug did not fly away so I fired away at about six inches with the flash in several different positions and thought this one was one of the best. Tweaked in PSE.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8819549

You are so much more dedicated than I am, Butch. I do not even have all that equipment nor could I carry it all with my back. What an odd bug.

I finally got a EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. Again. LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America