Photo by Melody

Article: The Royal Wedding Theme Garden: Wonderful!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Royal Wedding Theme Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Royal Wedding Theme GardenReplies: 15, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 23, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8820267

Carrie, your article made my day... thank you so much ! What an amazing subject, congratulations!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8820378

Beautiful!!!!

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8820384

Thanks, Carrie! Your article was fascinator-ing!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8820470

Thank you, thank you. I was just thinking to myself 'I wonder when that article is running' and opened DavesGarden and there it was! I'd like to introduce required hat-wearing into say, going to kids soccer games or going to the grocery store. Whaddya think, Gwen? At least the symphony, funerals and weddings? Gardeners shouldn't be the only people left wearing hats in the summer!

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8820495

Sadly, I am not one of those individuals who can carry off a hat. I've been trying and failing ever since my college days when we all wanted to look like Ally MacGraw in that cute little cloche in "Love Story". The only time I wear a hat is when I am heading to the garden, upon which my husband invariably remarks, "You're not going out like that, are you?" Sigh.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8820532

lol I can do a sun hat. I bought a few vintage things with netting from eBay and got a similar response from my husband.

One of my daughter-in-laws (the LAST place she would look is a garden site, fear not) goes to the Kentucky Derby every year. She buys a ridiculous hat, then a dress, then sandals (and to me on FaceBook they looked just like flip-flops). Isn't the dress supposed to come first, then the hat matches the dress? And she has no interest in the horses, it's just for the exercise of purchasing these items and then posting them on FB...? Maybe she experiences joy wearing a hat. I would.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8820890

Fun article, Carrie.
When I was a child, my mother’s usual solution for my fine, fly-away hair and my widow’s peak was a braid and a hat. I keep my hairline waxed straight these days, but the experience left me with an addiction to hats. :-)
I admire Prince Charles. His book, “The Elements of Organic Gardening” is definitely worth reading. k*
flwrpwr40
Clinton, NY

September 26, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8825630

Loved it! Very appropriate flowers for a wedding! I also got up to go to the wedding! I think we'd all look great in fascinators! We should start a new trend on this side of the pond!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8825803

I actually looked at them in an online Amurrican hat store, but without a British Duchess in them they don't look like much.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8826316

I'm sure people would be 'fascinated' if I sported a fancy little hat here...that one style things that just doesn't translate! You can hardly get us to wear a hat or hood in the rain or cold. The movie THe Kings Speech prompted me to remember that my dad used to wear a mens dress hat into the 60's, at times.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8826716

My dad, no, he was a professional rebel. But my grandfathers and grandmothers, all of them, wore hats to church and to weddings and funerals. And gloves, at least for the ladies. I cannot remember my grandfathers that well; the last of them died in 1980, and I do think they took off their hats in church, as men.

But Sally, I would LOVE to see a snap of you in a fascinator! I do wear JackieO sunglasses and scarves and gloves (because my hands are always cold) in social situations, other than gardening I mean. BIG hats. Sometimes tie a scarf around the hat just to drive DH crazy. He has no desire to be seen with Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge or Princess Di or anyone other than DW. Not even Camilla who is Duchess of somewhere else. Just humble wife. Ahem.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8830786

But Sally, I would LOVE to see a snap of you in a fascinator!

LOL don't hold your breath!
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

October 10, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8843772

Love it! We just got married here in the garden. On the invite, we put, "Garden Attire". Well, let me just tell you! Only one wore a hat (and a lovely one with big black sequins to boot). None of the men wore morning suits (tho I confess the ceremony wasn't actually until 2 pm). And then there was the groom's uncle, decked out in a Hawaiian shirt with rainbow socks paired with sandals. Oh well. We may not dress as well as the Brits, but I daresay we have more fun! Some pix of our fancy (not!) event here: http://brokenbarn.blogspot.com/search/label/hitched. Oh, and I DID wrap my bouquet in an antique lace hanky with lily-of-the-valley on it- loved Kate's choice for her bouquet!

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8843857

Joeyramone, just from hearing the few details you've given, I would bet your wedding was WAY more fun than any royal wedding. Congratulations to you!
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

October 11, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8844675

Thanks, Gwen! It really was fun and since it was right here in our garden, we didn't have to boot people out when our four hours were up. The last guest didn't leave till 1am!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8864449

Wow, sounds like a memorable event! I would have worn a hat with a flower on it, for sure.

Gwen, I'm pretty sure the Royal Wedding wasn't fun for anyone. It was a performance, by the Royal Troupe. It was probably emotional and memorable and memorialized, but not fun.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Royal Wedding Theme Garden Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America