Epi. guatomalense monstrose

Blackshear, GA

Does anyone have this plant? Here is mine and it has bloomed several times, but I always seem to miss it. I just did a little research and it seems it is related to the night blooming cereus...blooms at night. Mine has 3 seed pods on it. Does anyone know about the seed and planting them. One place said the flowers were sterile.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

Here's the seed pod...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice plant!!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Paula,
I've grown this from seed. Your pod will begin to soften, watch for it to split. There will be a jelly like substance around the tiny seeds. I patted them down between two paper towels, then used the edge of a plant marker to scrape them off onto a paper plate. Planted them on the surface of sphagnum moss, and covered with a clear lid. Popped up in no time at all....you'll have hundreds of little seedlings, they take a good 3-4 months to be able to transplant and then you'll have lots of pots of them.
It does only bloom at night and lasts just the one night.
Here's a pic of the bloom

mj

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 9:54 AM

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Blackshear, GA

Thanks MJ, I may try that one day, but with winter coming up and no idea how I am going to protect what I have, the last thing I need to do is try to grow little seedlings. It had about 12 seed pods this year. Maybe I should just kkep the seed and see if someone on DG wants them.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Paula, so good to see a familiar face. I don't know your plant but sure would like to.
Hello to you Desertdenial5 and mjsponies, don't know you (yet) but hoping to change that.
Faye

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Paula,
Seeds have a short viability...so you'll want to send them out asap.

Hi dahtzu , I don't come to this forum too often, every once in a while, but I always find something interesting here when I do !

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 9:56 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.