Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Water Heater Help?

Irvine, CA

I was told that my current water heater is about to call it quits, so I'm on the lookout for a new one. I try to live as sustainably as I can, so the more efficient here, the better, but I'll admit I'm not a water heater expert and am a little lost about the differences/pros/cons between regular and tankless water heaters. I've been browsing over a few tankless options at Tankless Water Heaters, but is this the right direction? If it is, do any of you have any experience with any of those options? This site seems to be the most affordable and has free shipping, which is big in my book :)

Otherwise, what other thoughts, suggestions do you have?

Thanks all in advance for your help!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Take a walk down to your local plumbing supply and ask them. Then speak to your plumber. Then speak to your electrician. You need to do a lot of homework, and since you're not in an emergency situation yet. Speak to more than one plumbing supply and see if they have any experienced users on staff.

There are a number of different systems, and it is important to learn when you start saving. Find out if you need one for each water supply, i.e., one in kitchen, one in each bathroom, separate one for laundry? How large is your home? Do you have and use a dishwasher? Assess you hot water requirements.

You're in Southern California, an entirely different animal from the northeast and most of the rest of the country, where we also have real heating systems. In our area, we have to heat winter water from a much colder temperature than I'm guessing you do. Our summer water temps are about 30-40 degrees warmer than our winter temps.

Let me know what you choose.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.