Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Clean and Clutter-free: Help Please

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 9, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Zooty
Mansfield, TX

September 23, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8821134

I live in the DFW area closer to Fort Worth and am in need of finding someone to help me clean my house and then cleaning on a regular basis. I have reviewed Angie's List and not found any hopefuls. I really need help with my house, because of a very bad back. Do any of you have recommendations for a house cleaner in the area or how I can best go about finding one?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8822447

I found a girl to clean my house on Craigslist. I actually found two of them. And I've become friends with both. One lady works for cash and cleans with vinegar. The other lady works for scrapbooking supplies (which I'm clearing out). The last lady even detailed my van last week for scrapbooking supplies.

You can also check your local newspaper. And ask friends and coworkers if they know of someone. Good luck.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 24, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8861838

I was just writing on another thread how I am missing the cleaning person I have had for almost fifteen years. She hasn't been available for a couple of months, and I thought that I was going to be able to keep up with things, but am beginning to realize that I might have to check in to having someone else come in to help from time to time.

I can pretty much keep up with the daily, have to do things, it is things such as cleaning tubs, wiping baseboards, above windows and doors and any number of other things that I didn't realize she was keeping looking nice and neat for me. I have two able bodied strong men living here with me also and it may be time that I request some help for the things that are too high for me to reach or too heavy for me to lift. Yep, gonna probably give that a try before deciding to hire someone I believe.

I know that the bath tub and surrounding tile in Tucker's bathroom are beginning to need a good cleaning. I believe that on his next day off from work, I will hand him the cleaning supplies and tell him to go to it. That is the least he should do. A few months ago he was doing some of the vacuuming for me occasionally and I actually got him to shampoo the carpeting too, so maybe he won't balk too much about cleaning the tub.

Anyway Zooty, I hope that you have been able to find someone to give you a hand. Craig's list is a good idea for looking for those types of things BC. You sure keep your local Craig's List busy. hahaha Love it.

Be well.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8862447

Hey, I love Craigslist. The horror stories you hear are actually few and far between--very rare instances. And you can hear those same scary stories about any place, even Walmart. I've had wonderful experiences using Craigslist. For the most part, the people on CL are just like you and me. There are the occasional wierdos and you have to be pretty smart to outsmart some of it. But mostly, people there are just average people like us, looking to make a little money or looking to save a little money.

I've got a couple of ladies who clean for me from time to time. Both I met on CL and are now friends. I use one of them every now and then, every three or four months, when I can afford her and need a thorough cleaning.

I'm also getting a new roommate who I met thru CL. He's very much a gentleman and loves to cook and is looking to get healthy like I am. So we'll be working out together and he'll be making us delicious healthy foods. He used to cook in a fancy restaurant so I'm looking forward to try some new cuisine. I grew up on greasy fried southern cooking--which is OH SO GOOD, but oh so bad for ya. He's going to show me a new way to eat.

I've bought most of my furniture thru CL and sold a bunch of stuff thru CL. I even found my dog groomer on CL and a handyman that I used in the garden last year.

I've made many friends from CL too. I was so afraid to try CL at first because everyone had to tell me some horror story that had happened to their mother's friend's cousin's boyfriend. But I have not had any bad experiences yet. Of course bad experiences can happen anytime anywhere. But I've made it clear to my new roommate that I have 6 old brothers who take their jobs as my brothers seriously, so he better mind his Ps and Qs. Turns out he knows one of my brothers, who's quite big and impressive, and he said, "Oh, I know he could really mess me up. I certainly don't wanna rile him!" LOL

Good luck with finding your cleaning lady.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2011
2:44 AM

Post #8868775

[quote="rubyw"]I was just writing on another thread how I am missing the cleaning person I have had for almost fifteen years. She hasn't been available for a couple of months, and I thought that I was going to be able to keep up with things, but am beginning to realize that I might have to check in to having someone else come in to help from time to time.

I can pretty much keep up with the daily, have to do things, it is things such as cleaning tubs, wiping baseboards, above windows and doors and any number of other things that I didn't realize she was keeping looking nice and neat for me. I have two able bodied strong men living here with me also and it may be time that I request some help for the things that are too high for me to reach or too heavy for me to lift. Yep, gonna probably give that a try before deciding to hire someone I believe.

I know that the bath tub and surrounding tile in Tucker's bathroom are beginning to need a good cleaning. I believe that on his next day off from work, I will hand him the cleaning supplies and tell him to go to it. That is the least he should do. A few months ago he was doing some of the vacuuming for me occasionally and I actually got him to shampoo the carpeting too, so maybe he won't balk too much about cleaning the tub.

Anyway Zooty, I hope that you have been able to find someone to give you a hand. Craig's list is a good idea for looking for those types of things BC. You sure keep your local Craig's List busy. hahaha Love it.

Be well.

Ruby [/quote]

Tuckers Bathroom tiles- I did the deep cleaning for a Super 8, about 10 years ago. We used Castrol Super Clean ...full strength..on the tub and shower stall. Now, it is strong, and needs ventilation...but, spray it on, let it set...and the grunge almost comes right off with very little scrubbing. I have used it for 10 years now myself..always keeping a jug around. It is also great for tobacco smoke..but it must be diluted then. Spray on...and watch the brown gunk run.
For greasy stuff...I use TSP..trisodium phosphate...bought at a home store. Put some in hot water, and it cleans grease right off.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8869135

BC, I am a person who has taken heed when hearing horror stories of meeting people online and using other public services but have had just the opposite experiences from anything horrible. Since going online in 1998 I have had the very great privilege to meet quite a few of the folks that I communicate online with. Way early on, I was involved in a live chat room on yahoo mainly involving health issues. People had come to that particular chat room for any number of reasons. Ended up that health was spoken of very rarely, but every thing else under the sun was chatted about.

One of the chatters who happened to live in a vacationer's paradise, Cape Cod Massachusetts held an annual get together for anyone in the room who could visit. We went the first year she had it even though it was the Friday following 9-11. On our ride up the coast we had to pass by New York City and we were able to get a very good view of the smoke from the towers, days later. Cape Cod is small and has a small airport and it was truly scary each time a plane would fly over during the week following 9-11. Anyway...since the first visit, John and I have traveled back to Cape Cod to visit my friend and her family at least three or four more times. She and her hubby also vacationed at our place one year too.

I must be a bit naive and know that bad things can happen but usually depend upon my gut to let me know if something is not quite right with any given situation. My gut has served me well over the years and thankfully I have been wrong about most folks very rarely. I am all for using the computer, Craig's List, ebay or whatever to make life easier for myself. I know that Craig's List has served you very well over the years. I have only used it on a few occasions, but I have been pleased with my involvement too.

Moxie, thanks for much for the cleaning tips. I am not familiar with Castrol but am thinking it is along the lines of Pine Sol which I grew up with my mother using for bathroom cleaning jobs. I loved the smell of the stuff. I have been using a Lysol spray, not aerosol spray, but a liquid in a plastic bottle for a couple of years now and it smells somewhat like Pine Sol and I love the way the bathroom smells after a cleaning.

I gave Tucker a Mr. Clean Eraser and that cut the grime and the bathroom is now sparkling. I had him hang a new shower curtain and new liner while we were at it, so his bath is in good shape for a little while anyway.

Thankfully last week on Tuesday which was my birthday, I received a call from my cleaning lady. She has been dealing with some skin cancer issues and other health issues which had her really worn down. She plans to return to work soon though since the thyroid meds she is taking is making her feel much better. So far the skin cancers on her face have all been benign and Thursday was to be the last procedure to take the last one off. I haven't heard from her since the procedure but am hoping that things went well and she can be considered cancer free now.

I used to have her come weekly and had just recently cut the time back to bi-weekly. Due to finanical concerns, I am not sure that I will be able to use her even bi-weekly. I found out in the past few months that tubs don't need cleaning weekly actually, so may cut it back further if she will agree. We will see. I do know that I have missed her great quality of work.

Anyway...hope you folks have had an enjoyable weekend. I am moving really slow this weekend it seems. For some reason I was up until about 3 AM and that means that it was almost 11 AM before I woke today. That really puts me behind on getting a start. Oh well, every thing on my to do list can be rolled over for another day. Take care all.

Ruby
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8869244

Way to go ruby! At least it is clean and fresh again. I had to clean a nasty bathroom last December, when I sold my mobile home out west. College kids...(my daughter)...do not appreciate cleanliness. I took the Castrol (found in the auto dept at wally-world), and sprayed it all over the tub and shower. Let it set...it eats the grime right off without scrubbing. I don't scrub much myself anymore...too much elbow grease wore out my elbows already. =))

Heck, your DH..might have a gallon jug out in the garage. Good luck with the cleaning...it is an on-going battle.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8869290

I just asked hubby if he was familiar with Castrol. He says that he didn't know it was a cleaning agent. He says it is an engine lubricant. Doesn't this leave the tub slippery? You have up my curiosity, tell me more.

Ruby
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8869431

No, not a lubricant. Here is a link with a great picture of the gallon jug. It is a cleaner/degreaser.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?44922-Castrol-Super-Clean-most-similar-Meguiar-s-product
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 31, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8870487

Alright...got ya. Adding the Super Clean to the title makes a big difference. Thanks for the tip. I am going to have hubby pick up a container next time he visits an auto store. I have to try this stuff for sure.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America