Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JT1
Euclid, OH

September 24, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8821730

I posted some pictures of our yard to Flickr. You can view the slide show via the following links then click on the slideshow icon on the upper right corner of the Flickr webpage:

-Summer pictures and photo tour of the yard- /photos/65934757@N06/sets/72157627216800757/

Spring pictures- /photos/65934757@N06/sets/72157627668717234/

I will post fall pictures which will include our most recent purchase of the Paper Bark Maple and Blue Atlas Cedar. Feel free to share the pictures with anyone who maybe into landscaping with Japanese maples as the pictures are open to the public.
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8837063

Beautiful, you did an amazing job on your garden. I love the Maple trees and the way you designed everything.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8876454

Do you start your own Japanese Maples by seed and where do you purchase these beauties from?
I love JM's, but have not had success with starting seeds, but I have not given up yet.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8876911

amazing! i would love to walk out of my house and into that landscape. absolutely beautiful :)
ilovedahlias
Wakefield, MA

December 13, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8928686

This is beautiful. Thank-you for sharing.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8928933

Would love to know how to propagate JMs. I haven't gotten any seed to sprout. Please share your tips with us.
JT1
Euclid, OH

January 24, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #8980536

Hello and happy New Year!

First, thank you everyone for your positive feedback and kind words. I believe a garden should be shared and I am glad you all enjoyed the photo tour. Secondly, I would like to offer a sincere apology that I was not quicker to respond.

Some of the trees were bought as balled and larger container trees. I feel like some of the larger trees have a more developed character, are easier to get established, and serve as a good anchor to the landscape. They look amazing when illuminated by landscape lighting at night. The light does an amazing job of highlighting the structure of the tree by creating amazing shadow effects and the leaves bring on glowing colors that are hidden by the suns glare during the day. The larger trees seem to add great appeal in the winter garden standing out by revealing their inner grace and beauty that is otherwise covered by leaves. I try to source what I can from local growers in larger size.

In my area it is easier to find great value in larger trees over the past two years. Sadly it's probably due to the down economy, growers and retailers are not moving the stock like they use too. Also adding difficulty, the average landscape consumer is turning to the big box store garden center. I could go further in expressing my opinion, but I am getting off topic.

The national growers and online sellers have added so much to the community allowing us to enjoy those hard to find maples that we canít source locally. There is something to be said for growing a small maple and watching it reward you over the years, giving a great sense of accomplishment. It's always easier to find a spot in the landscape for those smaller maples to shine. Softening up a place in the landscape or a corner of a patio, either way you can never go wrong with a young or dwarf maple. Itís all about balance in my opinion.

Here is a link to my photo galleries on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/

So far I have: Fall garden, Spring garden, photo tour, and bonsai galleries. The link above will take you to the page and you can also see any new galleries that I add this year. All the galleries will be on the right side of the page with their respective title. Once in the gallery you can click on the slide show icon or click on the photos you would like to see in larger size.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 1:42 PM
JT1
Euclid, OH

January 24, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #8980561

Japanese maples are usually grafted. The reason is when growing a seed you never know what youíre going to get. The seeds need a long rest period and usually they don't germinate until after two winter seasons. To speed up this process, some will collect seeds. Some break off the wing part of the seed. Soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours. Discard any floating seeds after 24 hours is up. Then put them in a zip lock bag with damp (not too wet) peat moss / sand blend and put them in the fridge for at least 90 days. Then take out in the spring and plant after the last frost of the season. Great care should be taken when growing the seedling as the root structure is slow to develop. Some may fail even with the best care. It's a chance your taking, but if you have patience and like a challenge it can be very rewarding. Hope this helps.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #8981061

JT1, thank you. This is the best description of propagating JM seeds that I have gotten. I have continuously asked this question without being 100% satisfied with the answer until now.. This I will definitely try. I just have to figure out how to keep this thread handy.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #8981090

JT1, you have such adorable pics. I am envious. You are definitely gifted. Your layout is just marvelous and well planned. It seems as though your beds take little or no care. If you are a landscaper, please let me know. I am very interested.

How can I find out which JM's grow in my zone 8b/9a with sun.
JT1
Euclid, OH

January 29, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #8986323

I forgot to mention in this thread, our yard is featured in garden design magazine:
http://www.gardendesign.com/places/my-garden-maple-garden-in-ohio

To read the complete story you need to view all 14 pictures, as the story is displayed one page at a time alongside of the pictures.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #8987122

I enjoyed the tour and article. Just amazing what one can do when we put our mind at work.
FrogL3gs
Ashburn, VA

February 29, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9025229

I am sooooo envious! You and your wife have done beautiful work!
JT1
Euclid, OH

March 1, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9025953

Thank you very much! I wanted to share a video I posted to YouTube of the winter garden. Enjoy a winter tour of our Japanese maple garden covered in a fresh blanket of snow. The video features a night garden tour that is illuminated by landscape lights and a day tour filmed during snowfall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSCVbtRCqAE

I hope you enjoy the video, but at the very least the music is very relaxing.
JT1
Euclid, OH

April 3, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9068388

I have a fall gallery from 2011 that I forgot to post and new spring pictures:

Fall pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/sets/72157628490507707/

First leaves for 2012
http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/sets/72157629658462575/

I hope you enjoy!
teko
Brillion, WI

April 22, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9093316

Beautiful garden! Who mows the lawn? I have a fight every time I add new beds because hubby can't mow around them. I offered to use the push mower, but that's on the blink. What is really spectacular is you have backdrops. How long did that take? My yard sprawls into others and a fence is out of the question.

Again, congrats. It is really fabulous.
JT1
Euclid, OH

May 9, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9116790

Thank you! It does not take much time at all to cut the lawn, but trimming and edging takes much longer. We have been into gardening for the last five years, but the last few years is when everything started to come together. The backdrop along the back of our yard is newer. The blue haven junipers were planted about five years ago. The three serviceberry behind the junipers were planted three years ago. The privet hedge along the side of the yard is original to the house.
JT1
Euclid, OH

December 17, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9360419

There have been so many changes since the last photo tour, I decided to do an updated Spring 2012 photo tour. I hope you enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/sets/72157632146151331/
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9360966

Can't wait to see the changes. I know it will be gorgeous.

All have grown so much and look so healthy. You definitely have a great program going on.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2012 6:15 PM

RosinaBloom

RosinaBloom
Waihi
New Zealand

December 19, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9362493

You have created a 'beautiful space' - such creativity, love of nature and great photos to really show it off. I love how the birds are interacting in this
'Garden Play'!
JT1
Euclid, OH

December 27, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9368740

Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed the new photos. Both the plants and birds give us so much joy!
JT1
Euclid, OH

January 1, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9372128

Hello,

After the holidays are over, January-March is when Maple fever and Cabin fever really starts to set in for most of us. I use to spend this time anxiously awaiting Spring. Now, I find this to be the perfect time for research and planning. It makes getting through the next few months easier. It also makes us more prepared and productive come spring.

It's a perfect time to begin researching and sourcing plants for your garden. As your garden grows and space becomes a premium, this research becomes even more important, so that you find the perfect plant for that limited empty space in the garden. Once the perfect plant is identified, the next step is sourcing that special plant either locally or online.

In addition to research and sourcing, this is also the perfect time to plan your garden. As the deciduous trees lose their leaves, our gardens begin to open up new opportunities, that would otherwise be covered up by foliage. This is a great time to make sure things appear in balance. It's also a great time to plan placement of evergreen trees and shrubs. I feel it's important to have a four season garden and sometimes the winter helps us identify deficiencies in our garden. Keep in mind deciduous trees with interesting form or bark can add impact to an area of the garden, in place of an evergreen. Also, an interesting specimen rock can add that four season interest while giving our garden a very natural appearance. Another benefit to a beautiful specimen rock is that they never out-grow the space, they work in any lighting, and they don't need any watering.

Before I get too long winded, I wanted to share ideas and inspiration for planning your garden. I thought it would be a great way to help pass the next few months, until our gardens become alive with activity next spring.

Here is a link to an article I wrote titled "Creating Your Garden Paradise":

http://www.maplestoneornamentals.com...arden_Paradise

I hope you enjoy!

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

-

Other Landscape: Japanese Maple Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Full 105 photo tour posted on Flickr JT1 4 Dec 17, 2012 5:30 AM
Video tour posted to Youtube JT1 0 Mar 1, 2012 11:29 AM
New spring photos JT1 4 Dec 17, 2012 5:29 AM
New photo tour JT1 0 Dec 17, 2012 5:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America