Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Fragrant Gardening: tea olive

Communities > Forums > Fragrant Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Fragrant GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8821979

my baby tea olives have blooms : )
but i didn't realize this was the time of year for that...my daughter in Houston says they bloom very early spring.
I ordered O. 'Fudingzhu' from Logees & got 2 in the pot...don't you love that when it happens!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8831151

Dabney - I LOVE tea olive fragrance!! Mine generic one from Lowes has been blessing me with mini flushes the last few weeks...combined with the NBJ...mmmm-mmmm

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8868509

Dabney - you need to let me know how you do with yours inside over the winter - or are you keeping that one outside? I'm going to be bringing the rest of my babies in (1st set already in) the next couple of weeks to include my NBJ and Tea Olive. I would be thrilled if I can keep the Tea Olive alive through the winter and plan on treating myself to a Fudingzhu if I'm successful...
dabneyrose
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8868860

Chantell, i'm cheating down here..they are in my greenhouse...esp as they are still babies. But they will prob always be 'in'.
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8882904

I have had a tea olive for several years. I keep it in a pot (gradually bigger pot each year) and bring it out for the summer, put it in a sunny door in my bedroom for the winter. I LOVE the fragrance, you can smell it before you enter the bedroom. This summer it appears I may have lost mine. It dropped almost all its leaves and looks quite dead, I'm not sure what got to it. It's unusual to have a bug problem in the summer when a plant is outside. I usually have my problems in the hot dry winter air inside the house. Anybody have any idea what might have happened? Think it will come back?

Thumbnail by cindyeo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8882906

actually, maybe it's scale, here's a couple leaves that recently fell off. But it looks different than the scale I get on my lemon tree. I do see one very small stem with some green leaves appearing, so I'm hoping it's not totally gone.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 11:29 AM

Thumbnail by cindyeo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8885285

cindy - are those little white patches on the leaves sticky to the touch?
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8890419

no, they are not sticky. When I get scale on my lemon tree, I get sticky sap all over the leaves and on the floor under the plant, but this isn't like that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Your most fragrant plants by ranking Heavinscent 201 Aug 28, 2008 11:34 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 41 Jul 31, 2014 3:55 PM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America