Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Self-contained Box Gardens: New Seedlings For 2011-2012 Season

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 26, Views: 253
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 24, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8822058

So far so good. Not as full as I had hoped but will plant them deep to strengthen them. I\will do that later this afternoon when it is cooler. My garden needs to be mowed , weed killer sprayed, new weed clth layed, EBs must be washed with water and bleach , filled with potting mix, then seedlings planted and finally irrigation system placed. Sounds like a lot of work for me considering my health but don't forget I only have three EBs and not the previous twenty-nine so it should be OK. I have a lawn chair with an umbrella taped to it for shade and a cooler filled with bottles of flavored ice water so I will be comfortable. I PRAY FOR A GOOD SEASON AND GOOD HEALTH! AMEN.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8823456

Wanted to pot them yesterday but thunderstorms put a stop to that so I figured I'd do that today but guess what? Same thing more storms. Meanwhile they are getting so big I just may direct plant them in my three remaining EBs. I will plant them all the way down to the bottom making a large X cut in the cover, remove the cover and then plant all the waydown to the bottom. Then replace the cover gently over the plant and tape the X cut. This is a first for me and will be very interesting to see how they grow? What do you think? Has anyone tried this method?

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 2:38 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8825251

Paw,
I've planted that way before.

First, I withhold watering them until they go a bit limp. Then, dig a deep trench in the Earthbox, and lay the seedling down into the trench. Gently, bend the stem and the tip of the seedling upright so it comes out of the mix as straight up and down as you can get it to bend, without snapping it! You'll have an "L" shape.

Try to Sink it deep enough that it comes outta the mix right below the two true leaves under the growing tip. NOW, water it in. It'll perk up and be planted nice and deep!

Hugs!

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8844970

Gymgirl --- I haven't answered your thread because I forgot to click"Watch Thread." I wish they nwould have left it the way it was and that was when you responded you automatically were on the thread. Anyway we have had bad rainy weather and I've not been able to plant my tomatos and they have gotten too weedy for my garden. I'm a fuss pot. I'll probably end up buying some plants (6) but I am always so tired and had chest pain yesterday and had to take a nitro pill and a minute later the pain was gone. I have all the container mix ready to be applied to my EBs but just can not find the strength. My eight year old grandson put down fresh weedcloth under my supervision and just as we finished the sky opened up again. Just as well as I was beat! So little work on my part but so tired afterward. My cardiologist and my orthopedic surgeon can do no more for me so I'll just work in low gear if possible.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8845011

Take it easy Paw!
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8848042

TPlant...just take your time. If you have to buy plants, the tomatoes will taste just as good. Please take care of yourself!!!!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8848839

Yes, I will have to buy plants today but I don't like it! Being I'll only be growing six plants I'll buy three varieties. What a difference from the old days? I also grew roses.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8848852

In my better days!

Thumbnail by Tplant

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8848864

And we still had ten more to set-up. Guess I'll just have to face facts and can no longer do as I used to! Tough when you don't have your health but far easier to work three EBs. I accept my condition but I don't have to like it...My grandson still is a tremendous help to me. He is only eight years old but he laid out the new weedcloth for me practically by himself. I am so darned proud of him..

Thumbnail by Tplant

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 14, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8848894

Tplant ...
Go to the top of the page and click on "my info"
Then click on "view your preferences"
Go down the page past the part where you enter your email info, and you'll see a place that says ... "auto watch threads". Check this box, and your threads will automatically be watched if you reply on them. Hope this helps. ☺
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8849938

Thank You! Yesterday with the help of my grandson I set my EBs and today bought six Big Beef plants at Home Depot and planted them. Unfortuneately my grandson could not help me today as the family went to a birthday party for the four year old daughter of a police officer. There will be a lot of cops and their families there. My son of course is a police officer.
It was very,very difficult for me to move around and I fell twice and with my post polio legs and little strength in them I really could not get up. I had to crawl to my garden kneeler and push up with my weak arms. Well the worst is over . Tomorrow my grandson will help me tack down the weed cloth more firmly and hook up the irrigation system.
Carolyn-- I forgot to pick the currants but I will Sunday for Monday mail.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8850864

Tplant, you may not be growing plants as you used to, but it's easy to see that you're growing a very special relationship with your grandson, and maybe growing a new gardener in him. In that regard, you can consider yourself just as productive as ever, just growing new crops. Do take it easy!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8854125

Yes, I really love my grandson and he loves me. He is always there for me and even checks on me when I am sleeping to make sure I'm OK. For the past three days it has been pouring and will be doing so for the next day or so. We still have to tack down the weedcloth as we just did a temporary job because we used up all our garden staples that hold the cloth down and helps to prevent weeds.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8854235

While you're inside sitting still and taking it easy, go cut up some old wire hangers and bend them into "U" shape staples. They make great standby garden staples...

Hugs!

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8855448

Great idea Linda but with my arthritis no can do. Would you believe it is still raining and stormy. We were on tornado watch all last night and up to 6am this morning. My arthritis tells me it will last at least another day. Thank goodness fror Aspercreme . It really works.
Meanwhile my seedlings are doing just fine and with this weather I don't have to worry about not setting up the irrigation system. I wonder if we still have a sun? Today makes one full week of rain. This has not happened since 1978 when we had floods and sewer BACK-UPS. NOT THE MOST PLEASANT TIMES.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8885889

This is it for this season. My seedlings that I planted could not be used because of continous rain and I just gave up waiting for the weather to clear. By that time my seedlings were a mess so I bought six Big Beef that you see here. My grandson did most if not all of the work. At age eight he is my blessing and now I know why God let me survive all my serious attacks of which I died once and was brought back but that is another story for discussion.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8885902

I must say they are very healthy and I gave them a light spraying of Ortho Garden and Vegetable spray for insects. We are bound to have a war with the horned caterpillars after all the rain we had but we are now coming into our dry growing season so you think everything would be OK? WIND-WIND-WIND. Now we go into heavy wind season and broken vines if not staked properly. I have lightly staked them as they grow but now because of size I will use my 4' and 6' vinyl rods when necessary If you look close you can see a yellow flower in the center of the plant.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8885915

This is where I sit and look at my garden and reminise the old days of twenty-nine EBs for fifty-eight plants. I used to supply all my doctors, neighbors, sanitation driver, school teachers and their school custodians. WOW! I probably will be able to still provide some to a few. I do believe Big Beef are hybrid and will probably be finished by early February which will be just in time for my FLORIDA GIANT WATERMELONS which supposedly weigh 40-50 lbs.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8885924

I used fresh Jungle Growth container mix, one cup dolomite lime, normally I would use two but their PH was 6.5 so I just used the one cup instead of the two I would usually use and of course two cups of my good ole standby 10-10-10 fertilizer which keeps getting more and more expensive like everything else. Now we watch them grow and I hope you stay with me through the winter as I hope we will have a lot to see? Right Polly?
Ted

Thumbnail by Tplant

mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8888099

Wow, TPlant...those are some good looking plants. They look nice and healthy and strong.

I'll be here watching your progress for sure. Our gardens are put to bed for the winter, and we even had snow flurries on Friday. It will be nice to watch your progress while we take a break before planning for next season.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Linda
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8917874

TPlant--just checking in to see how you (and your tomatoes) are doing? Hope you're feeling well, and have gotten your tomato season off to a good start.

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8918715

They are doing fantastic! Sorry for not taking pictures but I'll try today.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8945406

Sorry to be away for so long but I just wasn't up to going out in the garden as my legs were to weak but my grandson, God Bless Him, took care of everything. We did have a Christmas Eve present of two tomatos and today I was able to go out and pick these. They are Big Beef and are beauts. It was nice to have fresh tomatos for Christmas especially when you grow your own from your very own garden. This gives them an extra special delicious taste.

Thumbnail by Tplant

mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8945768

Your tomatoes look wonderful, TPlant. My mouth is watering LOL.

You must be so proud of your grandson...he seems to have inherited your love of gardening. What a wonderful gift that is

Wishing you all the best in the new year
Linda!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8946452

Thank you so very much and it is true that in many ways I am blessed. I am 74 and in poor health and he is eight. I only wish that we would have more years togeather but I am making the best of the time that I have left and his love keeps me living. I only wish that I could tell more about him but I could not be more grateful to be his grandfather. I always wondered why God kept me alive for so long when I actually died once and was brought back in 98 and had two more close calls in 08 and survived.
Now I feel fine if only my legs had more strength but post polio syndrome for which there is no cure, has become made my legs weaker as time goes by but I manage with his help. His love keeps me alive especially when he hugs me and tells me he loves me.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8947478

Tplant, I love how you concentrate on the good stuff -- what you *can* do, and your love for your grandson and his love for you. Oh, and the taste of those lovely tomatoes. That's what it's all about -- the good stuff.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8948919

Thank You Lisa! This is truly the way I am and live. I am very grateful to my Higher Power to still allow me to do what I love although in a limited way. I wish all of you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year and am looking forward to my melon time in mid-February with the help of my grandson.

Thumbnail by Tplant

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America