Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Brugmansias: What makes a brug be a 'tree' or a 'shrub'?

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 9, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8822105

Hey folks, I started with two cuttings this spring in April. Both from the same DG member, joeswife. (thanks again, Debra) They both took off and grew wonderfully, but the pink one 'Cherub' grew one stem straight up to 6ft., then put on a Y and started blooming. It is now over 7ft. tall, on it's 4th or 5th bloom cycle and has another tall, straight shoot coming up from the base. The other which Debra calls 'Monster White' made a Y at about 2ft. It has kept branching, and is now this lovely shrub. It's 4th bloom cycle about to begin tonight!

Does anyone know why the two would grow so differently? They grew side by side and had exactly the same conditions and care until about a month ago when 'Cherub' just got too tall, (kept falling over) so I planted it in the ground. I checked, and both had vegetative foliage - symmetrical leaves - down low. Not complaining, just curious!

Also, would it work to 'pinch' out the terminal tips on 'Cherub' to make her branch or would that just stop blooming?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PhyllisMihalik
Chardon, OH

September 24, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8822260

Hi Brug lover,

I have been growing brugs for over 20 years as well as seen them growing wild in Africa and Central America and they are woody shrubs up to 15' tall. If left alone they grow multiple shoots from the base. Even your tree shaped one will do this over time. If you prefer the tree shape or would like a taller trunk on the one you have now you will need to prune it. Just select the shoot that would make the best looking trunk and remove everything else at the soil line. Then train it like any other bush you want to turn into a tree. It will continue to put out growth at the base and along the trunk but just knock/cut it off when you see it start. This won't hurt the plant.

My oldest brug is over 20 years old with a trunk caliper of 3". The trunk is 4' tall before the branching starts. Then there is a 4' tall by 5 'wide flowering top. All of this was done through selective pruning.

By the way I live in Cleveland Ohio so can only grow my brugs outside from May through Oct. The rest of the time they are dormant in my basement.

I hope this helps.

Happy Gardening!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8822270

Thanks Phyllis. Actually I am hoping to make the tall, gangly ones into shrub shape like the Monster White. Not only 'Cherub', but my 'Charles Grimaldi' is a tall single trunk, too. It's not too huge yet, as it's just not as robust as the others, but I'd like it to branch rather than continue upwards.

Since my brugs bloom nearly all year 'round (if we have a normal winter) I prefer to have the flowers down lower where I can appreciate the fragrance and see the flowers better. I have lots of huge trees, need flowering shrubs.

Cheers Elaine

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

PhyllisMihalik
Chardon, OH

September 24, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8822291

One more thought.

When my bushy brugs get too big to handle I just cut them off at the base (just above the soil) before I bring them in for the dormant winter. I don't know how old your plants are but as they age you will notice a brown, woody, lumpy fleshy mass for at the soil. The entire surface of this mass can produce new shoots.

Once I return them to the outdoors in May they grow 4'-6' and bloom within a couple months, even here in Cleveland Ohio. As I am sure you know they are heavy feeders especially in your sandy soils.

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8822707

If you take cuttings from above the "Y", you'll get bushier Brugs that will form buds earlier because the rooted cuttings will continue to form flowering new growth instead of having to go through the vegetative cycle first. As the Brugs age, it really doesn't matter as much because you will end up with both vegetative and flowering growth on the same plant.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8822793

Thanks, Betty. I figured that might be the difference between the two cuttings. Although it does look like Monster has some vegetative growth down low as well as all the flowering growth up top.

Phyllis, my brugs are all new this spring, two from cuttings, and one was a gift plant from my kids for Mother's Day. I have one other, an old noid pink one that has been a huge 8ft. X 8ft. shrub, but was killed back almost to the ground two winters ago, and set back again somewhat last winter. I was ready to roust it out and replace it with one of the new ones this spring when it sprouted a couple of nice new shoots and started blooming it's head off. Ya just never know, huh?

Here's a picture of 'Cherub' taken this evening. The wall behind it is 6ft tall. You can see that it has space to become a shrub next year if it will only branch . . .

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8824080

That is a nice standard type of your Cherub.. mine came as a rootball last year in trade from X, and it sent up 4 nice sized shoots and that is where your "tree" cutting came from. If you cut it down this winter, root it out, it will pretty much stay a tree form, and the base root ball will send up new shoots next year,
( shrub like)

That same root ball now has three shoots up, and again I will cut them off and then root them, bringing in the root ball to overwinter in the basement again this winter. .

anyway, that is just my two cents worth.
Beautiful Growing there, Elaine.!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8824455

Help! Does anyone know what the Angel Trumpet initials KBG are?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8824791

Kell's Baby Girl = KBG

Elaine, if you want more branching sooner and lower flowering as well, take cuttings from above the "Y"s and use them to replace the Brug plants that have had to go through the vegetative growth cycle and are just long straight sticks. Since the cuttings act as if they are still part of the mother plant, they will continue to branch and produce flowers farther down on the branches. Over time as the plants mature, however, you will start to see those long single and straight stalks come up from the soil surface. This is a normal progression. You can either leave them and have several layers of flowering growth or you can cut them off

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8824893

Thanks, Betty. I might try that next spring, since these babies grow so fast. For now, through the winter my tall 'Cherub' is fine, and I can have fun planting stuff under her shade, while her top will still get sun despite the 6ft. wall on the south side of her.

My big old pink (see below) did put up a straight shoot this spring, but it topped out shorter than 'Cherub' did, so I'm thinking maybe I will get different heights of shoots next spring, and that will make for a lovely plant to fill in the space. The second shoot looks to be stopping at just over 4ft. so maybe the shorter days and slightly cooler temps are slowing her down just a bit.

I guess all the cuttings I've started before have been from above the Y so I thought all brugs made the shrub shape. I'm very happy with them all, just curious as to the difference.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America