Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: flowers from Teddy

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 326, Views: 1,868
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

September 25, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8823509

I got the word that my last topic was getting a little long, so I thought I would start a new one. My Cosmos is budding now, the one is taller than I am. My Amaryllis has some green on it now, I just transplanted it not long ago, and it looks like it is trying to grow again, could it be confused because I put it in a sunnier place and it is getting warmer? Hopefully my Cosmos will bloom before the frost gets them. Could I have some advice please? The neck is exposed, what do you think I should do if anything?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Click the image for an enlarged view.

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

September 26, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8825179

Does anyone know how much longer before they bloom? They look close.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8825209

We'll get our crystal balls.

Check the amaryllis forum for help there.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8825683

It's hard to predict exactly when flowers will bloom so I'd just sit back and be patient, they'll get to it when they get to it. Since it's already got buds I think you've got a good chance that it'll bloom before frost but it's hard to say exactly when. As far as the amaryllis sprouting, I'd just let it do its thing--sometimes plants will get fooled into trying to grow or bloom in a different season than normal but they typically figure out what they need to do eventually.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

September 27, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8826299

thanks ecrane3
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

September 28, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8828056

It is good when you start to see color on your Cosmos, I am starting to see some color on mine, I just hope they will bloom at least one of them before Friday. Friday evening it is supposed to frost I think, I hope they do but you know how flowers are, not a exact science. As someone once told me on this page, the only flowers you can control and make bloom all the same time are fake flowers. I keep checking up on the flowers and so far as I can tell, I have red and I think I see orange on a couple of them. Some of them are still green and growing. But if you look closely, I think you can see the red.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 2, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8832880

I hope this means what I think it does, can anyone tell me if I am right in assuming that this one is getting ready to bloom? I have one more picture to show you. I thought the rain and the cold would keep them from blooming but it looks like I was wrong.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 2, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8832885

here is another one, does anyone know or can anyone else how much longer it will be, rough estimates?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 7, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8839687

Cansomeone tell me when these things are going to bloom? I come out here every morning hoping to see flowers and I still see buds, I know gardening is not an exact science, but gee, I think I have been patient enough! I think Mother Nature is laughing at me. I need some info from some of the gardeners on here who have more experience than I have to share some of their knowledge with me, please!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8839823

Here is some info for you.

http://www.flowersociety.org/Cosmos-plant-study.htm
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 7, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8840035

getting close then.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 8, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8840515

Success! Just went out and checked and here is what I found! I can't be sure what color it is going to be, it looks white, but the package said yellow, orange, and red, oh well, whatever color it is , I can't believe they are finally blooming. I guess that one page was right, you have to ignore them for them to bloom.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 8, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8840517

This is the other one that is blooming, I am not sure, but I THINK it is going to be a pretty good size bloom.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8840603

Good deal. The blooms will be roughly 2 to 2.5 inches across...plants pretty much stay true to their species regarding height and bloom size.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 8, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8841115

I think I will take one of the Morning Glory seeds and soak it in warm weather and nick the shell and put it in one of the small pots I have, I have potting soil and I thought I would try to grow a Morning Glory inside. What do you think? Is it possible to do that? I have to see if I can grow one inside, do you think it is possible to do that? It is one of the ones that my aunt sent me.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8841705

If you have a sunny window it is worth a try.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 9, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8841722

One of my first Cosmos blooms, it is really pretty I think, I can just imagine a whole bunch of these pretty flowers beside my lattice, that is where this one is.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 9, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8841727

Here is the white one, it is lower down on one of the plants, but he is still pretty too.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8841734

Bravo...just think how lovely your garden will be next year...you will have the basics in place and know what needs to be done.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 9, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8841786

Yes, and I won't be asking questions all the time and driving you poor people crazy.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 9, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8842230

My aunt gave me a potted mum plant, I don't know if it is a annual or perinneal, it is called Ursula Lavender Garden Mum. The question is can I keep this plant in the house all winter?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8842234

It is a perennial mum. Here is some info for you. You can keep it inside, but it will not bloom again til spring and will require a bright sunny window.

http://www.romencegardens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1729&typeID=25
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 9, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8842237

ok, thanks themoonhowl.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 9, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8842431

I have a bright window, it has blinds on it so it won't get a whole lot of sunlight, it is also part of the front of the house which is not well insulated, it gets real cold in the winter, there is no heat in the entryway. Will that hurt it any if I put it in front of that window?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8843031

Probably not hurt by the cold as it is hardy in the ground, but it will need as much light as possible.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/perennials/all-about-mums/
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 10, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8843355

ok, thanks, the window by the door is where it will spend the winter.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 11, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8844718

My first bloom has gotten bigger! I went out to check and see if anything else has opened up and noticed it had gotten larger.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 11, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8844990

I think maybe pink?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 11, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8844992

Do you think it might be a good idea to move these to a slightly larger pot?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8845007

Beautiful, Teddy! Yes, put it in a larger pot. It would be happier in the ground but, if you don't want to do that, then a bigger pot is fine.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 11, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8845191

I figured it would be better for the root system to be able to stretch out, so my neighbor gave me 2 pots and I will use the larger of the two, glad you liked it, I love it! I always wanted mums but the money was not there for them, so I was ecstatic when my aunt brought this one. I went out and smelled the Cosmos that has bloomed the purple one, and the scent is heavenly! I would love to have a row or bunch of sweet smelling flowers like that that would sway in the breeze and bring a smell like it wafting through the air. The pink one is going to look interesting and there are a lot of buds on them, don't know if they are all going to bloom before winter, but I now have a sample of what they are going to be like next spring, and boy am I going to have the flowers! And I won't be bugging you for advice and suggestions like I did this year, thanks for all your help.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 12, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8846153

I just transplanted my mums to a larger pot, I did not disturb the roots, I just took it out of the smaller one and put it directly into the larger one and filled it with potting soil. It has a small lip around it so I did not fill it all the way to the top. I watered it not too long ago, should I water it any now that it has been transplanted? It has holes for drainage and has little feet so it will be off the ground. Also was thinking of trying the amarylis idea of growing a bulb inside this winter, do you think it will work? The article says that it is easy to do. I was just wondering.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 12, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8846210

this picture shows how much potting soil I put in, do you think that is enough, or should I fill it up to the top?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 12, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8846312

This is a amarylis bulb, do you think it might grow or do you think I should get another one, like I said before, I was thinking of trying to grow it inside.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 12, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8846332

never mind, the amarylis bulb is kind of squishy so don't think it will work, going to try anyway.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 15, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8849901

I have a question about the Cosmos, is there any way I can keep it from getting so tall? I love the flowers, by the way I have a new color that I will put on this posting, but they get so tall they are trying to break over. Is there anything that I can do to maybe shorten the plant somehow next spring? I have read on the Cosmos pages that they do reseed, I was hoping that I could do something in the spring to make the plants a little shorter. I have tied them to the lattice and the tallest one is over 6 ft. tall. When they finally flower they are worth the wait and the aggrevation that I had. I apprieciate all the help you gardeners have given me, you have been so helpful, and I don't think I could have gotten as far as I have without your help. Thanks again.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8849977

You might be able to pinch them back as they're growing which will keep them a little more compact, but be aware that too much pinching will delay your blooms. Also, if they're not in full sun they're going to tend to be leggy and floppy, so if you've got a sunnier area that you could try them in next year that may help.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 15, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8850046

That is the problem, I have trees all around the house so a sunnier place is not a easy thing to come by. I did what one of the folks around here said, look around the house at different times of the day and find out what parts get the most sun, that is not an easy thing to do, since it is October, I might just leave them the way they are, because if I pinch off any, the buds go with them and they are blooming. Could I wait until next year and transplant them to that sunnier spot you were talking about? If I can find one?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 15, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8850240

Here is a picture of my flower pot with two Morning Glory seeds in it, should I keep them covered or should I take the bag off?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8850457

I was suggesting pinching for next year's plants, not this year's. This year's plants are already very tall and you're getting too close to your last frost date, I wouldn't risk losing blooms by pinching now. As far as moving them--they are annuals and won't survive the winter, so if you find a sunnier spot that's where you should start your seeds for next year.

For the MG seeds--I can't tell from your pic if the seeds have sprouted or not. If they haven't sprouted then I'd leave it on, but once the seedlings sprout I typically take the covering off, otherwise it makes it too easy for the seedlings to rot from excess moisture. But humidity can be helpful since indoor air is so dry once you start running the heat, so if you leave the bag on make sure to open it up a few times a day to let things breathe a bit.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 16, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8850899

I don't believe it! They are sprouting already! I only did it a few days ago, I did not think they would sprout so quickly. I have them on a bookcase beside my computer desk and they have a lamp beside them that is always on and the bulb is only 60 watts. Things are certainly looking up in the flower dept. my Cosmos is blooming, my MG here inside is sprouting. Will keep sending you pics on the development of the MG. Since they are sprouting I can keep the bag off right ecrane? I believe that is what you said, so while the snow is howling outside and all the flowers are sleeping outside, I will be growing my MG! It is so fascinating to watch something like that grow and mature and know that YOU started it and YOU are in control of it. The white in the middle is the sprouts.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 16, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8851161

The sprouts are actually growing pretty fast, when should I put something in there for them to climb on? I mean I can actually see the first leaves coming up. I have a pair of chopsticks, would it be okay if I put one of them in there now, or wait for awhile? I will post a picture of them now, they have grown more since this morning.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 16, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8851353

why does this flower look like this? There is another one behind it like it.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8851448

The flowers are perfectly normal. As the bloom progresses, the petals will emerge and the flowers will look as you expect them to.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 16, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8851460

altagardener thanks.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 16, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8851605

My Morning Glory that I started from seeds just a few days ago. I can see the first leaves coming out, I was wondering if there was some way I could train it to stay small since I started it now, I don't have much to let it grow on. It is on the windowsill for now and it gets a lot of light. Any suggestions and advice would be helpful, this is the first time I have tried to grow anything inside, I would like to have MG flowers in the winter when the snow is falling, I can go over to them and smell their slight fragarance. So give me your expert advice gardeners, please:0

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8851642

No, there's no real way to train it to stay small other than continually pinching it back.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 17, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8852540

Could I cut thses things down or would it hurt the plant? They are making it hard to take this in the house when the wind is high, a part of the Geranium broke the other day, I took it the rest of the way off, will it regrow? It is going to be cold enough pretty soon to bring it in and keep it in and I thought I would cut these down some so I could put it somewhere where it won't be in the way. I am talking about the tall green things, not the main plant.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 17, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8852826

This is the Morning Glory that I have growing inside the house. It is in the window as you can see, it is getting plenty of sun(when there is sun to get)! A friend of mine asked if I had a black light, and I told him yes, he said the black light will help the plant grow, is that true or was he just funning me? I don't think I ever heard of black lights helping plants grow, I looked on a few pages and did not find any reference to black lights. I was thinking about trying to grow a naked lady plant inside, I have a bulb that is dried and I have plenty of potting soil, might be fun to try, what do you think?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 17, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8853359

This Amarylis bulb had its neck partially cut off, will it still bloom? I was going to try to grow it inside along with the Morning Glory which is doing quite well. Please let me know so I can get it into a pot as soon as possible, it has dried and I have it in a napkin wrapped up and inside a baggie, if I don't get an answer pretty soon, I will just keep it in there and see what happens in the spring.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8853663

Go ahead and give it a shot...just keep the neck at soil level per planting guide info...the worst to happen is it won't grow.

http://www.rochestergardening.com/bulbs/amrylcar.html

http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/amaryllis.html
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 18, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8853847

I went to the first page you posted and it told me everything I needed to know about the plant, I will try it and see what happens. The weather here in Ohio has cooled down somewhat, it is not quite 60 degrees in the house now, although we do have the pellet stove on once in a while to crack the chill. Would that have a bad effect on the plant?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 18, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8853929

I planted it and it is on the book shelf beside my desk, it would not fit in the window, there is a 60 watt lamp right beside the plant, so it is getting light. I do have a black light that I can use if necessary. Will let you know how things work out.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 18, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8854187

I changed the light bulb to a 75 watt and I have some tin foil wrapped around it to act as a kind of reflector to keep the heat and light more concentrated on the plant. So I will see what happens.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 18, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8854497

brought my Geranium in tonight it is supposed to get in the 40's and 30's at night, should I take it out during the day and bring it in at night? Or should I just leave it in all the time now?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8854904

You can take it back outside as long aas the daytime temps stay above 60. Anything below that and you risk losing leaves.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 20, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8857518

As you can see, the tall Cosmos plant that is taller than me has red on it, here are two more buds on it, I can't figure out why a warm weather flower like this is blooming on a cold, wet day, Can someone point me to a page that tells me how this flower does what it does?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 20, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8857525

Here is a pink one just opening up, I never liked pink too well before, but on these flowers they are lovely.;)

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8857865

It is following its' natural cycle, Teddy. The plant's growth was slowed down a bit by the lack of full sun and now it is completing the cycle...it will bloom right up to the time you get heavy frost or really cold temperatures. The "purpose" of an annual plant is to germinate, grow, set buds, flower, and go to seed...and then die back over the winter so new seeds can start again in the Spring.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 21, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8858059

thank you very much themoonhowl, I hope you like the pictures. When and if it ever warms up enough to go out for a bit, I am going to take pictures of all the trees surrounding the house we rent, and then you can maybe give me a better idea where I can plant flowers that need sun, that sounds like a plan to me about you and some of the others?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 21, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8858298

Does this look like a good setup for the Amaryllis bulb, it is 8 1/2 inches from bulb to clamp on light, is that too close, the light bulb is a 60 watt. I am afraid if I put too much of a bright light on it it will burn it. What do you think?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 23, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8860249

question, I set my potted Amaryllis bulb out to get some sun, if it is the 50's and 60's during the day, would it be ok to take it out during the day and bring it in at night? Or would that confuse the growing cycle? If it grows.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8860257

I would allow it to be outside in the sun as much as possible in the daytime as long as the temperature is above 40 degrees.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 23, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8860269

one more question, when I dug this one up, it had not bloomed at all and I damaged the neck when I dug. Do you think I should get rid of this one and get one of my neighbor's? Hers bloomed this past summer whereas mine have not?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8860315

If your neighbor is willing, I would get one from her, BUT I would also give the one you have a chance to grow. It may have been too young to bloom this past year.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 23, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8860393

Just went over and got 3 bulbs, two of them are stuck together, can you plant them and keep them hooked together? They are pretty good size and the neck is in pristine condition. I have them in the kitchen so they can dry out and will put one of them in a coffee can, also have another can I might put the double ones in, what do you think? I appreciate your input themoonhowl.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8860635

You can absolutely leave them stuck together. Next year, you can pop them apart.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 23, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8860749

thank you kwanjin, if they bloomed in the ground last year will I be able to make them bloom in the house this winter? My neighbor's did, but I think mine was too young last year, I still have mine potted but it won't fit in the windowsill without tipping over so I put it outside for a while while it is still warm, and the other one I put in a coffee can and I was able to put it in the window. I was just wondering, since mine did not bloom at all last year, do you think mine will? Sorry so many questions I just want them to bloom and then I can enjoy them all winter long. I will be so excited if they do my feet did not touch ground for two days when my MG came up inside! Now they are both up and doing good, now I have to be patient, booo! Hopefully one of the amaryllis will bloom, knowing my luck, it will be hers since it has already bloomed last summer.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8861148

Teddy, there is no need to let the bulbs dry out as you are replanting them immediately and not storing them. I agree with Kwanjin, leave the double as one for now.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 24, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8861928

I think I am going to transfer the first Amaryllis bulb I potted to a smaller pot, they say they like to feel crowded and the pot I have them is way too big. What do you guys think? Is that a good idea?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8862760

It is a good idea to follow the planting info as closely as possible, so yes, a pot that is only a little bit larger than the bulb would work.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 25, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8862828

Ok, I will switch pots today. Is it possible for a bulb to mildew? I don't smell anything, but it looks like it has something on the top, how can I check? I don't want to go through all the work of repotting it if it is rotten, so if it is spongy when I take it out what should I do?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8862876

If it is the bulb with the damaged neck/crown and is spongy it may be best to start over with the newly dug bulbs and just discard that one.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 25, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8862960

Well, I think that is what I am going to do, the neck is so damaged that I don't think it would have grown anyway, and I still have 3 that are whole and firm and it pots that will make them feel nice and cozy. Thanks for your help and I will keep you informed as to their progress. I just took it out and it had a songy spot in it and it stunk, so I threw it away, my neighbor said if I wanted anymore I could just go over and get them, I think I will go over and get one more to replace that one, is it possible to be rotton and still have green on the inside of the bulb?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8863059

Very possible. The rot can start on the outside and move inward. Good you tossed it.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 25, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8863437

I broke the one that had two of them together and potted them separately, I went over and tried to find one but they were all rooted in and I was afraid I would tear it up trying to dig it up, so I just repotted the ones I broke in half. Here is a picture of one of the ones that was stuck together, see if it looks ok to you. Any suggestions would be helpful. Got one question, in the winter should I move it from the windowsill? It gets real cold there, should I move it to a warmer spot like beside my desk, my lamp is a 75 watt soft light and it is a lamp, would that be enough light?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 26, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8864737

Just checked on the amaryllis bulbs that are planted outside, since I read that they should have the necks above the dirt, I scraped some of the dirt away from them now their necks are exposed and a little bit of their shoulders). Now do I have to put something over them to protect them from squirrels, or do they like those bulbs? There is greenery on both of them, how do I ( short of digging them up and possibly destroying them)protect them from winter? I am in zone 6, will they be ok, planted in the ground, they seem solid and in the ground pretty tight.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 26, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8864761

This is the amaryllis between the Irises beside the lattice where the MG are, is it exposed enough, I had to scrape very gently around it to get that much. The next picture is the other one, do I need to scrape more away from either of them? They seem to be rooted in quite nicely.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 26, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8864768

This is the one at the corner of the house, does it need more dirt scraped away from it, I have them both marked to where they are now. Do I need to put something over them to protect them from the winter weather? What could I put over them to protect them? Do you think they will bloom this year?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8865492

You will need to use some sort of mulch to protect them...a blanket of leaves, pine needles, straw...something to keep the frost off and give them a layer of protection from the snow...
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 27, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8865524

ok themoonhowl, I have a small square pot that had a plant in it and I can put that over it, or I have some containers that had cotton candy in them and I washed them out, I guess anything that protects them from the snow will work. I guess they are exposed enough hopefully they will grow in the summer. It will be interesting to see if they will.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 27, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8865595

I added a little more potting soil to the Amaryllis bulb, it was not covered it enough, I did that to all the bulbs, I have 3. It is rainy and not bright sunny do you think I should put them somewhere where they can get light? I can put them on the bookcase where the one is, I have one of them in a tall potatoe salad container and one in a coffee can, do you think I should cut the potatoe salad container so it is not so tall? Can not cut the coffee can, but do you think it might be better on the bookcase, they can have light most of the day. I have the room for them but it might be a little crowded. I also have a light that I can shine on them all day, but how close can the light be before it harms the bulb?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 27, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8865605

Here is a picture of the light that I have, what is your opinion of it. Finances prevent me from buying a grow light so I thought maybe this would do, the lamp is 75 watt and the clamp on light is 60. I know they need light and heat so with these two lamps I was thinking maybe I could give them the heat and light they need, your insight is appreciated.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8865812

As long as the temperature outside in the daytime is above 45 degrees, I would put them out in the morning and bring them back in in the evenings, even if it is raining.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 27, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8865965

Ok, but it is only 41 right now, so I will probably wait until tomorrow, it is supposed to be warmer then, thanks themoonhowl.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 27, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8865976

I have 2 of these, can I put these over the amaryllis bulbs that are planted outside? We are supposed to have frost tonight.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 27, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8866245

My neighbor was talking about using a blacklight to help with growing the amaryllis, but I can find no mention of using it. Mine is a Translucent Blue Blacklite. What do you think?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 27, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8866273

I am just going to use the sun when it is warm enough to have them out and when it gets too cold to be outside, bring them and either set them on the windowsill or beside my desk with a lamp. We don't have that many windows that the sun comes in that strong. So I am going to try that and TRY TO HAVE PATIENCE!!!! That is a tall order for me, so I am not going to ask any more questions for a while and just wait and see what happens. Thank you so much for your advice themoonhowl and you too kwanjin, it helped a lot, sorry to have bothered you so much.HAPPY HALLOWEEN:O. Don't eat too much candy, hee, hee!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8866436

I've never heard of using black lights to grow plants. I would think on their own they wouldn't provide all the light that a plant needs--the sun does have UV rays which are what the black light is, but it also has all the visible light spectrum which you'd be missing with the black light. And I can tell you from experience that plants will grow just fine under regular lights. You've got a choice--you can buy expensive grow lights, or you can buy a cheap fluorescent shop light from Home Depot and use that with plain old fluorescent tubes, works just as well and much cheaper.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 28, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8866734

thank you ecrane3, I don't know why my neighbor is insistant that I use a blacklight? But anyway thank you.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8866863

Years ago, I knew of a few people who used blacklights to grow plants. I don't know of any today. I don't think it works very well.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 28, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8867022

From what I read it don't have the right light spectrum or something like that. I forgot if I asked you here, does anyone know of any way to keep Morning Glories under control while they are inside? I probably should not have started them this early, but you know me, no patience! I would like to see them bloom while the snow is falling, but I am afraid hubby aint going to want it to be vining all over the house, is there any way to keep it short and still have blooms, or will I have to kill it? I sure don't want to do that!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 28, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8867149

I think I am going to have to let my MG die, I don't want it vining around the house, I guess I will plant it tomorrow, I know it is going to die but I don't know of anyone around here who has the room for it to grow, I proved I could grow something from seed and I still have my 3 Amaryllis bulbs, now those I can control their growth. I read that it should take about 10 days for them to start showing signs of breaking their dormancy, so they should start growing then and I can watch it. i always wanted those plants since I first heard of them. Got some pics of my Cosmos, believe it or not, they are still blooming! I never saw a bud bloom like that!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 28, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8867151

Another one.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 28, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8867155

and last but certainly not least some red ones.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 28, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8867411

Think I am going to try to see just how big I can grow it, I will let it trail down to the floor and around my computer desk. here is a pic of it already. I did not want to kill it anyway. So the experiment continues...

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 29, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8868507

How do you warm the soil in the containers, my refrigerator has a freezer up top so it is not warm, my television does not have enough room for the pot. Can you shine a light at the container the bulb is in and warm it up that way? I have a heating pad like you use if your back or something else is sore, but I don't know if that will work, so any suggestions will be helpful. The clamp on light is close to the container, hopefully that will entice the soil to warm up and the bulb to start growing.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 29, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8868582

I think something is wrong with one of my Amaryllis, instead of a bunch of stringy roots, it had a chunk that looked like what you would cut off of a root. I don't know whether to throw it away too or keep on trying with it , I willl take a pic so you can see what I mean. Also these were on top of the ground, we did not have to dig for these.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 29, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8868594

Promising news, I was checking the bulbs and all but one had the solid root. The last one I checked actually had a root on it,one single root but a root nevertheless, so I moved it to a smaller container and we will see what happens. The other two I still have in the windowsill but my hopes for them are dwindling. I have the last one in a container like the one my MG is in, it should be nice and cozy, it is not much bigger than the bulb.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8869249

Now is the time to leave them alone. The indoor temperatures, with the extra light should be enough heat. The more you disturb them, the more likely that they will not perform. Water when you stick your finger in the pot and the soil is dry about an inch down. You can mix liquid fertilizer at one fourth the regular strength and use that to water them with...and then BE Patient.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 30, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8869262

geeez, there is that word again patient! I will try.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8869283

hey teddy, i was curious, when did you want your amaryllis to bloom? is it for the holidays?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8869285

Teddy, gardening is all about working with Nature, and learning...and one of the hardest lessons to learn is, You can't rush Mother Nature...as we have all heard...To everything there is a season...and a time. You just have to let Nature take her course. And, yes, it can be frustrating...grin
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8869296

oh yes, its also very frustrating when you see beautiful palms in other yards but you can't get yours to grow as nicely. what i mean is you can't change mother nature either :)
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 30, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8869309

well coastalzonepush, I really just wanted to see if I could grow them inside, I was reading about them and saw them all around the neighborhood and just thought it would be a interesting experiment. I have a slight problem, I have no patience as the good people here will tell you, I have bugged them and bugged them on flowers, its a wonder any of them still speak to me or answer my replies. I want results NOW! Unfortunately Mother Nature has her own way and her own time to grow,and as much as we would like to try, we can't rush her.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8869469

:) it is quite a nice feeling when your plants grow fast. it seems they like a bit of privacy, when you keep watching their growth it feels like forever. but one day you ignore them and they thrive. roses like lots of attention though- my grandiflora is begging for some food right now lol. - amaryllis bulbs grow incredibly fast, but ive only had experience with the sprouted ones from the store, generally it takes about a month and some weeks. one day you will be paid off with incredible display of blooms.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 30, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8869516

I sure hope so, I have always wanted to try to grow some kind of flower inside, and when I heard that you could grow the Amaryllis inside, I made up my mind to try it. I did not think that the potting soil was ever going to dry out, now the soil is just damp like you would have in a sponge, in another day or two I might have to add more water. But I have a habit of over caring for my flowers, so ignoring them is hard to do.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8869588

Do NOT keep the soil wet...DO let it dry out a bit...otherwise, your bulbs may develop rot.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 30, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8869652

Thank you themoonhowl, it is very kind of you to keep giving me info, aren't you tired of all my questions? This is my little garden, the Morning Glory in the back I put back in the window, I have just the lamp with the 75 watt bulb in it, will that be enough light and warmth, or should I turn on the clamp on light with a 60 watt bulb too, I don't want to bake them with too much light. More help please, if there was a way to repay you for all your advice believe me I would pay it, you are like a godsend to the novice gardener. My Cosmos is still blooming but I think it is just about over.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8870035

I think the single lamp should be fine for the moment. When the bulbs sprout out then they may need a little more light, but the growth and leaf color will let you know. I would move the lamp to the center of the ring of pots now, that way they all get equal light.

You are welcome Teddy. You will get the hang of this gardening thing...just takes a little time and ...oh yeah...patience...GRIN

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8870343

Yes, waiting is hard. At first. Gardening is like Life, the journey is what makes it enjoyable. :-)
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 31, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8870366

There is another light to the right but it is not on now, I won't turn it on until they sprout, thank you for your help and suggestions, you are a big help themoonhowl and you too kwanjin. I had to move a bunch of stuff to get the cord of the lamp unstuck so I could put the pots around it, I just felt the dirt and it was still damp, not soggy just damp, so I am going to try my best to ignore them and see what happens, my MG is going crazy so I put it back in the windowsill, I learned my lesson on that one, if I ever start a plant inside again, make sure it is not the kind that will take over the entire house!!!!!;)

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8870576

See? Now you are catching on to the little lessons...GRIN Happy Hallowe'en, Moon

This message was edited Oct 31, 2011 2:40 PM
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

October 31, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8870607

That is a hard lesson to learn, and sometimes painful too GRIN!!!!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 1, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8871634

I think I am going to only have the lamp on for 6 hours, my hubby is getting irritated at the amount of electric that it is using, it is usually on all day, would that be okay for only 6 hours? I don't want to mess up a good thing that I have going.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 1, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8871802

I have figured out a way to warm up the soil, we have a pellet stove and my hubby turned it off before he left, I did not put it on the front part because that gets too hot, it has burned down enough I can put my hand on it and leave it there and don't get burned, so I took the bulbs and put them on the back end of it where it is nice and toasty warm. I am just going to put them there for 1/2 hour and see what that does, after that time I will put it back on the book case beside my desk. Or should I just leave them there until it cools down completely?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8872252

teddy, be careful not to let the soil completely dry out. do you mean leave the bulb on the stove until the stove cools down...or did you mean something else?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 1, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8872352

yes, leave it on the stove until it cools down. I am trying to ignore them so that they can do what they need to do. I will check the soil and see if it needs a little bit of water. Not much though, don't want to end up with root rot after all the trouble I have gone through. Hopefully they will start to sprout before too long.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 1, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8872394

I am not supposed to water it until it runs out the drainholes am I? If not, just how much water am I supposed togive them?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 1, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8872532

I just checked them, they were damp but not soggy, so I will not water them yet, and I will NOT pull them up to check the roots, should I put them back on the stove if we turn it on tomorrow?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8872543

well usually you water containers of growing plants until it drains. since the bulb isnt exaclty grown yet, you shouldnt do that. just a bit of water around the bulb is fine. and you left the top 1/3 (neck at least) or so out of the soil right?
you can try leaving it on the stove, it shouldnt do any harm, the amaryllis wont be too fussy.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 2, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8873112

Yes, I left the 1/3 out of the soil, I decided to put them back in the window, it is going to be a sunny day, high in the low 60's so they should like that. I also gave them a very LITTLE water. Now time to leave them alone again. One thing I am confused about, one person says to water from the bottom, one other says water from the top, which is the correct way? This morning I just put a little on the top away from the bulb. The bulbs these people have in the videos I watched are HUGE!!!! They can make 3 of mine, where do they get bulbs that big? Mine are not nearly that big, mine look like a small onion. Other than buying one that big, I have never seen one that big!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8873172

Either way is correct for watering these. You just don't want water to sit on the leaves once you get them.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 2, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8873180

ok, thank you. If I ever get them!;)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8873185

You just need some...there's that word again! LOL
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 2, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8873257

That is a BAD word to use for me, got a question, have you ever heard of anyone growing amaryllis in water? I have seen some videos that say it can be done, I was thinking of going over to the neighbors and getting another bulb and trying it, it could be fun, wish me luck!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8873432

It does work but I use distilled water, as opposed to tap. You get lots of mineral build-up on the bulbs if you don't.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 2, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8873453

I use bottled water is that okay? Does it grow faster than with potting soil? I never heard of planting bulbs in water before, but since I am not going to buy the bulb, it is free, I think it will be a great experiment, don't you?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8873459

certain bulbs like that can be grown in water. just remember, the water shouldnt be higher than the bottom of the bulb. you use rocks/pebbles to support the bulb. yes amaryllis bulbs are huge, usually biggest from mail-order co. but you can find a large one at nurseries for like $10 a bulb. -- i personally like growing them in soil. paperwhites are easier in pebbles and water because the bulbs are smaller. i suggest (if you want to try the water) buy another bulb, dont use the one already in the soil. -- it is safest to use bottled water, but i never had to worry about that in new york, the tap water is one of the best in the world :)
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8873546

easytogrowbulbs.com you should check it out, there are videos on amaryllis planting. look at the amaryllis they have for sale, they are beautiful. and youre also going to see how big they sell their bulbs. i meant to tell you before but i kept forgetting :p
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 2, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8873705

thanks, I got one and it is in the water, it already had some roots so hopefully it will grow.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 2, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8873767

It will be interesting to see which one grows the fastest, the one in water, or the three in potting soil. Here is a pic of the one in water.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 3, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8874912

None of my Amaryllis bulbs are ever that big, mine are all small, I even think it has grown a few more roots since yesterday! I had a little trouble trying to get the roots in the water without getting the bulb wet! I have most if the roots in water and I hope that this experiment works.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8874973

you did good on prepping the bulbs new home. it looks like itll give good support for the flower stalk and plus its so much prettier in a vase. also now you can watch the roots grow...without pulling it out of the soil- lol :)
curious: where did you get your amaryllis?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 3, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8875087

I had it in the ground between the Irises, and a friend gave me some more Irises that I planted today, he said that is when you are supposed to plant them, he said they were purple, I told him that is what my neighbor said and he said these WILL be purple. We will see. I was digging a hole for the Irises and saw something white down in the dirt, do you suppose that the Amaryllis spread that fast? I did not dig it up I left it where it was, and just planted the Iris in front of it. It is kind of interesting to see the roots actually grow! I do believe that the roots are growing more each day, how much light should I put on them when they are in water? Would the lamp that I had on the others be ok? I never tried to grow anything hydroponically so it is all new to me. Any advice will be appreciated.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8875137

i love irises, cant wait for you to get blooms. hm, the white thing could be from another plant. bulbs dont spread until the next growth cycle. while they are growing/flowering the new bulbs form attached to the mother.

in the water they need the same attention as the potted ones. only you dont have to worry about watering as much. just give them the same light/warmth as the potted one. ive never done bulbs in water except for a single paperwhite bulb. but i personally prefer soil. OH and after the bulb ( the one in water) grows and goes dormant, the best thing to do is plant them in soil/outside to rejuvenate. it is said that they might not flower or grow at all again, after forcing in water. this is because it is quite stressful on the bulb. but really, you can nurture the bulb in soil the next year so it can restore lost nutrients.

i didnt know you planted some outside.i was wondering what zone youre in because amaryllis needs mild climates...zone? perhaps its a belladonna amaryllis which are hardier (im thinking that your friend successfully grew them before)?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 3, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8875213

As far as I know we are in zone 6, and yes, my friend grew them successfully before. I was going to put it in soil after it grew and bloomed if it does bloom. The bulb was firm and had no mushy places on it. I just put water in the vase and put the bulb in it, it was the smallest vase I had, a friend had a bigger vase, but the bulb was too smalll for that one. So if I put them in the window when it is sunny, that would be a good idea? My MG is really taking off now, it really looks good in the window. It also had a few roots on it already, not very long ones, but there were roots anyway. Would that give it a good start?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8875252

yes. warmth and natural sunlight are a plants best friend next to water. did you plant any other bulbs out in the garden along with your irises?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8875838

Did the instructions mention anything about adding a small amount of soluble fertilizer to the water?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 4, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8875931

no, I did not plant anything else but the Irises, and I don't remember them saying anything about soluble fertilizer to the water.I don't think you can add any Miracle-Gro plant food like I got to the water can you?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8876253

I asked, because amaryllis do not need to be fertilized during this time...but will need a good feeding after they bloom, when they are again planted in soil.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 4, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8876297

I took this one out of the ground and planted it in the potting soil, the one that was in there was the one I put it in water. It had started to sprout, do you think it will continue to grow, or did I do a bad thing? I will take a pic to show you and maybe you can tell me whether it will grow or not.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8876457

it should be fine. it will continue to grow and the roots will re-establish in the new soil. it wont need any special care, just treat it like the other bulb. it should grow because its still alive. the leaves coming out are a good sign. thats what alot of bulbs do, grow leaves before roots.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 4, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8876539

but it won't bloom this year?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8876613

oh yes, it should. i didnt mean to be so vague. and sometimes amaryllis can surprise you with blooms. like when i grew one indoors, it first sent up a stalk and had four flowers. then there was a second one with another four. then finally one with three flowers. that bulb. by the way, was huge. it fit tightly in an 8" pot. sadly...unfortunately...it chokes me up to say...it remained outside - out of the ground- that winter, and got buried in snow. in spring it was nothing but a brittle piece of plant matter.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 4, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8876765

Here is a pic of the roots on the Amaryllis that is in the vase, like I said before I think it has grown more since I put it in there. What do you think?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8876908

yes, its growing some nice roots. try not to let the actual bulb be in the water. (im saying this because it looked somewhat wet but i could be wrong right?) its ok for some roots (once theres alot grown) to be out of the water, because they will help the plant ''breathe''.
youre doing good with your plant babies :) your amaryllis adventure re-woke up my love for the plant so im going to plant a bed sometime, once i can buy a dozen or so.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 5, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8877414

I am trying to do the right thing by them, but it is hard not to pick them up and look to see how long the roots are. At least with the one in the vase I can see without taking it out. I am glad I was able to re awaken your love for the amaryllis, it is a beautiful plant and if mine do what I want them to do, I will have several plants to marval at! You were right about the bulb, I had to move it a little, some of the basal plate WAS in the water, but I adjusted it. The only bad thing about living in a smalll house like mine is no matter how many plants you have started, you have to figure out where you are going to put them when they bloom, you are probably going to get really tired of me posting pictures when they start growing so you can see something going on. Right now it looks like they are just sitting there,
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 5, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8877782

I thought I would add a little more heat to the mix, so I turned on the other light here is the picture, what do you think of my set up? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8877805

it looks good. if its convenient for you, you can get a grow light. they will provide more effecient light for growth and you might even be able to turn off the other sources of light your currently using. but if thats not possible, your original setup will be fine. by the way, great re-using/recycling!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 5, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8877891

Thank you, the only one that I am going to be worried about is the little green one, it is awful small to have a plant that grows as tall as they do in it. But I figured it would be good to reuse these bowls for something good, as for the lights, is there a certain amount of light that the bulbs need? I mean like about 6 or 8 hrs? If I can do it that way it would not be that bad on electricity. A grow light would be better I agree, but right now that is not possible but I think what I am doing is okay. Thank you for your advice and help.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 5, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8878013

It is supposed to be in the 60's for the next few days, would it be a good idea to put the bowls with the bulbs in them outside for a while? I know they like sunshine and probably air too, I try to give them light and warmth with the lights but nothing beats the actual sunshine. I would put them in the window but like I said I think they would like it outside. What is your opinion?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8878036

Yes! that is a great idea. they will benefit from it. since they havent grown leaves, it is good because they wont get shocked from the change in environment. but a definite yes. if it should get near freezing then you might want to bring them in. otherwise leave them outside for as long as the weather allows. its better in many ways. and you wont have to worry about lighting. since you use artificial lighting indoors, you need to provide more intense light for a long duration just to replicate sunshine.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 6, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8878608

I thought that it might be a good idea, so I will wait until it warms up just a little more and then will take them out. I am not sure what the temps are going to be at night so I think I will bring them in at night, I don't want some stray raccoon thinking that the bulbs are a midnite snack!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 6, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8878624

I took my bulbs outside, hopefully the squirrels won't bother them, I have them on a chair in the sunlight. The one in water I put in the windowsill next to the MG which is doing well, so we will see what happens.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 6, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8878951

I don't know if I asked this question or not, if the Amaryllis bloomed this summer, can you get it to bloom this winter? My one neighbor said that they are dormant in the winter and bloom in the summer. I hope he is wrong, I have read that they go dormant naturally and re-bloom sometime in the winter, is that true? When it gets too cold to put them outside and the windowsill is too cold, will my light set up do just as well? I would dearly love to prove him wrong! He is one of those people who think they are always right, I would love to show him that he is wrong on this subject. I have the 3 in potting soil and they did bloom this summer, the one with a little green on it has not bloomed at all yet, so is it possible that any of them are going to bloom this winter?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8878960

Some of mine bloom in summer but they all bloom in winter without fail.

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 6, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8878979

A friend of ours put a storm window over the outside of the window where I am putting my bulbs, will that make it warm enough to put them there when it is too cold for them outside? By the way Pirl, that one on the right is BEAUTIFUL! What color do you call that?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8878990

great picture pirl! it looks like appleblossom (variety)? i dont know if the storm window will do anything much. perhaps it will help out with blocking out the cold. remember its ok if the temps are cool while its flowering, it lasts longer. and try not to go from outside to inside constantly, it will confuse the plant. amaryllis grow year-round here - so take pirl's word on the blooming time. besides, once you see growth then theyre getting ready for a bloom. YES! prove your neighbor wrong!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8879100

You're right coastal - it's Appleblossom.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 6, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8879219

I am going to give it one heck of a shot! I sure don't want to confuse them(I am confused enough for all of us)! I will just leave them in the windowsill then. I never thought about how it might confuse them and make them think that it is time for them to grow again so soon, my one neighbor's bushes is trying to grow and bloom again. This weather is weird, it makes the flowers think it is time to bloom again. I don't know what color they will be, it will be exciting when and if they bloom!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 6, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8879461

hey Pirl, when you started to grow your Amaryllis, were they small bulbs like mine or were bigger? And when you started did you have them in the same window that you have them in that picture? I guess that I will keep them in the window and TRY TRY TRY to ignore them except to check on whether they need water or not. Love those flowers, if I ever have ones that beautiful, I will feel like there is nothing I can't do! Especially if I can look at them when the snow is falling and I can send pictures of my flowers over the Internet and show everyone that I was not crazy or obsessed with my flowers and birds. One more question, how long after you planted them inside did they start to grow?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8879502

I bought them and received them as large bulbs. In order to get the best blooms you will have to feed them over the summer so they can store up the energy to bloom. They have always been in that window, 8' wide, and now I have about 30 of them to enjoy. Once you see the actual green tip of the flower stalk you're just about 3 to 4 weeks from bloom. Go very easy with the watering.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8879513

Papillio:

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8879538

This Minerva blooms twice every year.

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 6, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8879583

My bulbs are like small onions, not the tiny pearl ones but they are not very big, I have them in the windowsill and are hoping that I get a lot of blooms. Do you think seriously and I want the truth, do you think I have a chance of any blooms at all? The 3 I got from my neighbor did bloom this summer, so Pirl tell me the truth am I going to be happy or mad? I can take the truth;) These are the size of most of the bulbs. They all have roots now.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8879822

If the bulbs have bloomed before they will bloom again but it may not be this winter. It could be spring or summer. Make sure you feed it/them when they finish flowering so they can build up the energy required to bloom again.

This bulb is pictured next to a full size can of spray paint. The larger the bulb, the more blooms.

Some facts you might want to know:

They prefer temperatures from 68 to 77 indoors.
They can remain in the same pot, without a problem, three to four years.
When you plant a new bulb in LIGHTLY MOISTENED GROWING MIX, do not water again until you see growth.
Then water two more times until you see the COLOR of the flower on the bud. Resume watering but go easy.
The roots are deep in the pot so put water in the saucer not the surface of the soil!
If you keep the soil wet you risk losing the bulb.
Do not water the top of the bulb: it encourages rot.

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 7, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8879980

should I lightly fluf up the soil? I put some water on them the 4th. I think I might need to put more soil in the pots, what do you think? Should I check the roots again to make sure they are growing? The one in water has grown good roots so far, when I first put it in there I did not have very many and you had to look hard to see them, these you can see real well. I hope I get some good results in the one in water at least.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8879985

What would fluffing up the soil do to help the bulb grow???

As long as one half to one third of the bulb is exposed to light it will grow. Leave it alone.

Do not take it out of the pot to check the roots - leave it alone.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8879998

This photo shows you far the top of the bulb is out of the soil.

Do not remove the papery covering. It helps protect the bulb.

This one, Nagano, was planted January 11th and bloomed April 30th, 2011.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8880001

Here is Nagano in bloom:

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 7, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8880031

I thought you would like to see that the roots of this Amaryllis bulb is growing quite well, that is one of the things that I like about growing them in glass, you can actually watch the roots grow! I looked at it real closely and I had to empty some of the water it was actually touching the basal plate, so I made sure it was not touching it anymore. Thought you might like to see that.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8880042

Good!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 7, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8880079

We have a movable thermometer and I took it over where the bulbs are and the temps are above 70, with just the one lamp on. So until they start growing more, I will leave the clamp on light off for now. Sorry to be such a pest, but I would like to be able to show people that you can grow flowers like that inside. Would you have to do anything different to have them bloom for the holidays?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8880232

They are regulated by their hormones and can't be rushed into bloom.

Next year you can give them the right treatment all year to try and get earlier blooms but since yours has already begun to grow you just might get a Christmas surprise.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8880300

pirl, i have to comment on your amaryllis- they are stunning! you clearly take good care of them and have a good window for them. the papilio has such a striking color set. by any chance did you get your bulbs from easytogrowbulbs.com? i recognize the types and since they were such large bulbs i thought they might be from their company..?

This message was edited Nov 7, 2011 5:19 PM
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 7, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8880314

I think the one with a sprout might start growing again, and the one in the water it might too. It would be one of the most exciting Christmas gifts I could get!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8880484

Thanks, CZP. Minerva was a gift from my son for Christmas of 2005. That got me buying them. The more I learned about how vital size was I bought from Blooming Bulbs (Nagano, pictured above). Papilio is very tall and so gorgeous. It came from Dutch Gardens (not to be confused with Dutch Bulbs). Last year a neighbor died and at the estate sale I bought all of her amaryllises and most have bloomed. Now I'll have to look at the site you mentioned. Thank you for mentioning it.

They will start growing.

Thumbnail by pirl

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8880570

youre welcome, and i appreciate the info, i checked out those sites. blooming bulb is my favorite of the 2. i looked at the amaryllis page...clicked on super mondo amaryllis...looked at the picture..and nearly lost it! they are HUGE! i never dreamed of any bulb that big! ive had elephant ear bulbs that are the same as the big amaryllis bulbs, but super mondo?! insane! - sorry for my little rant&rave there :p
teddy, if you ignore them you will be surprised with how quickly theyll grow :) watering only starts bulbs into growing, after that they generally use stored food, until they leaf/flower. the instructions pirl gave you are excellent. just forget about them a day or two.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8880585

What fun! I just went to easytogrow and love so many of the amaryllises. Dutch Gardens only carried Papilio, no others. The Blooming Bulb amaryllises were great! Now I'll have to go back to see the monster bulbs.

I listen to a radio gardening show each Sunday morning and the host, Mark Viette, had on a man from the Netherlands who has raised amaryllises for many years. He strongly advised watering them just twice, then NO water at all until the flowering stem comes up with the bud on top. It's supposed to create a flower that doesn't require a stake. Some of these are VERY tall and will flop (and could break) so a stake is very helpful as is turning the plant a quarter turn every day.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 7, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8880672

thank you czp and pirl, I will try my best to ignore them. Sorry to be such a nuisance and a pest, you have given me great advice and suggestions and I appreciate ALL the help everyone gives me on this site, that is why I love it so much.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 8, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8881701

Great news! My Amaryllis in water is making more roots, I just checked it and it IS making more roots! It is fascinating to watch, almost makes me want to have more of them in water so I can see it grow, but I assume that if the one in water is growing more roots, then the ones in potting soil are too. I am NOT taking them out to check! I am leaving them alone like you said. But that is good to see, just keeping you in the loop on what is going on.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 8, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8881730

Here is a couple of pictures of the Amaryllis bulb that I have in water! As you can see, they are growing!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 8, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8881733

here is the other view, as you can tell there is another root growing out, so it is growing okay.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8881887

Good - get it back in the water pronto.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 8, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8881911

I have it back in the water now, I am trying to ignore them but it is hard not to check and see if any growth is happening. How are you supposed to change the water and make sure the level is right without taking the bulb out?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8881976

You can take it out of the vase to clean the vase quickly and then put the bulb back in place or you can use another vase and just change it from one vase to another. The first vase can be cleaned while the bulb remains in water. Use tepid water - not cold and not hot for the bulb in water.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 8, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8882095

Ok, I will check at the local dollar store and see if they have any small vases, if not, I willhave to go with the first suggestion, take out the bulb, clean the vase and put it back in, I think I could get the water a little closer to the bulb or do you think it is close enough, if so I may mark where the water should stop so it don't touch the bulb.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8882160

Check nearby thrift shops, too. They sell them for $1.00 around here.

You don't want to risk losing the bulb to rot so maybe marking the vase is your answer.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 8, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8882231

I just put tepid water in my Amaryllis vase, I think I am going to leave both lamps off for a while and see what happens,every page and link I go to says they need 2-3 weeks of cool and dark, well, don't have the dark, but certainly have the cool part down pat, so trying another experiment, got the one in the little green pot that had started to sprout in the windowsill and turned off the lamps on the bookcase, so the only light they will have is what little there is during the day in the house. Going to see which one starts growing green shoots first. Wish me luck, not saying that all the help you have given me is going to get ignored, NEVER think that, I just am trying different things. I have remembered everything you good people have told and showed me, I am trying different things to see what works the best for me, and I did mark the vase, I could not remember how much water from one time to the next.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8882267

You've tried many things with the amaryllis and will just end up confusing the bulb. It won't know if it's supposed to grow or go dormant. You're giving the poor plants very mixed messages.

Just from the lack of leaves you can tell it has gone through dormancy. Give them warmth and light and be ready for a Christmas surprise.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8882282

amaryllis bulbs respond to warmth and light, as pirl said. bulbs that like it cool and dark for a while are the ones growing roots before top growth, like spring bulbs daffodils etc. i guess you can try one bulb in the dark, but really if you want them to grow, they need to light. reach for the light dear friend, reach for the lliigghttt!!! -- sorry, little moment there :p
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 9, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8882684

Ok, I turned on the lamp on the ones on the bookcase and left the one in the window, don't think it is going to get much sunshine today, it is raining and cloudy, but I will leave it in there and see which ones start first. I am confused enough, I don't need to confuse my poor plants too!hee, hee.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 9, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8883069

I will quit bugging you poor people for now and just see what happens, maybe the next post I put on here will be a bulb with a green sprout on it! Wish me luck!;)
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 9, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8883147

You should see my Morning Glory, it is starting to vine! I had to water it, it was very dry and the leaves were a little wilted so I watered it. If I leave it alone will it lay on the windowsill? I will try to post a picture here.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 9, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8883189

Here is my MG, it is vining already! If I leave it alone, will it grow along the windowsill and trail on the edges? I wish I could have it grow around the picture window, but there are not very many ways to put it up to stay, there is no way to put fasteners on the area around the window itself. Any suggestions would be helpful. I may take a wire and hook it to the curtain rod and have it grow up there, there are so many things you can do with something like that. It sure likes being in the window. I put it there and just forgot about it, maybe I can do that with my bulbs.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8883412

its looking good, healthy leaves. be careful that it doesnt take over your house as they can get quite vigorous. it most likely will stay confined, considering that its indoors. it can grab hold of pretty much anything.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8883466

Try putting the pot with the MG into a hanging basket and let it trail down in front of the window.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 9, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8883481

I will have to try to find a hanging basket. Unfortunately hanging baskets and anything to do with gardening is pretty much put away until spring. But i will check.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 10, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8884536

can anyone tell me a cheap and easy way to make a indoor hanging basket for my Morning Glories? Money is a little tight right now, and I would like to try themoonhowl's suggestion of hanging it up and letting the vines trail down the window.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 10, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8884833

I decided to elevate the MG plant and let the vines go where they want, it is really kind of spooky, it will be in one place one minute and I look again and it has moved! I can almost watch it growing! It is on a higher bookcase in the corner, I could not think of anything to use as a hanging basket, so I thought it might go down the side and onto the shorter bookcase and down the side of it. It will be interesting when the flowers bloom.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8884894

It's heading for the light.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 10, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8884919

It is heading for the liiiiight! Go to the light! It will be interesting to see the blooms.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011

Post #8884939

You have the MG sitting a plastic container...poke 4 holes beneath the rim of the container...take two equal lengths of sturdy, cord, twine, wire, thread the cord through one hole from the inside, around the outside to the next hole. Do the same with the other length of cord. Gather the 4 ends together, making sure they are even. Tie the cords together and you have a hanging container for your MG. If you hang the plant in the window, be sure to turn the plant every couple days to ensure even light, and make sure the plant does not rest against the glass as this will transfer cold to the plant.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 10, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8884964

thank you for the directions.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8885003

You are very welcome, Teddy...just remember to not let the plant sit in water in the container and all should go well.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 10, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8885107

Got the bulbs in the window and are going to keep them there and pretty much forget they are there, that is what I did with the MG and look what happened! It is like that old saying, a watch pot never boils.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 11, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8885994

I know everybody says not to put any water on thses bulbs until you see some green, but they feel awfully dry to me.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 11, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8886000

I put some water in the bottom of the bowls so the roots can soak it up, not a whole lot just a little. See if that does anything to help out, I know they say not to overwater it, but it can't do it any good to get too dried out can it?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8886004

If you've watered the amaryllis twice, when you brought them in and then once more, please leave them alone. You've given them the wake up call so now step back and allow them to grow.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 11, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8886008

okay pirl.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 11, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8886219

I guess you people and me will be the only ones seeing my pictures anymore, people around here are asking my hubby if I am ok, talking about flowers and sending pictures. They tell him they don't care to see pictures and they think I am going around the bend and ready for the looney bin. So I have decided to keep taking pictures but will only send them to you if you don't mind. I thought people would like seeing pretty flowers but I guess I am a minority over here. But they won't stop me from sending them to you unless you don't want to see them either. Let me know, and if you don't want to see them either, I guess I might stop taking pictures at all, let me know please.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8886233

Take all the pictures you want Teddy. Use them as a reminder of your first year of gardening...stick them into a gardening file along with notes and tips and instructions...make your own Garden Info file...you will appreciate it over the years.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 11, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8886323

thank you for the support themoonhowl, it helps a lot. It just amazes me how people can not want to see pretty things in life, you can be driving along in your car and see an field of pretty flowers or on the other side a bad car wreck, the people will go over to see the car wreck and if someone comes up and says did you see the pretty flowers over there? They would probably say, what flowers ? Most people these days only see the uglieness in the world, never the beauty. I think I will continue to take pictures, and if no one but us wants to see them then good for us.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 11, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8886425

Bottom heat, that is what my bulbs are getting now, I have all of them except the glass one of course on the back of the pellet stove which is currently on, they are on the back part close to the heat, but not close enough to melt the plastic containers in which they are set, I was reading that if a bulb was not growing fast enough to add bottom heat, so I thought that I would set them on there for an hour now and maybe an hour tomorrow, I am afraid to keep them on there too long. I can't find the heating pad so this is the next best thing.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8886455

Photos can brighten the gloomy days of winter and it's always fun to look back and see how gardens change. This is from 2004 (left side) and 2011 (right side) of the exact same garden.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8886464

Bottom heat for an hour at a time won't perform any miracles. Constant bottom heat is another thing and probably what the article either said or meant. That would be a heating mat designed for growing plants that remains constant. Putting them on the heat, then off the heat is, once again, confusing. They get the message to grow and then to halt.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8886465

dont worry about those people teddy. this website can be your place for the pics. you can keep them like themoonhowl said as well. pictures are a wonder. theyre a snapshot of that very second in life that you will never be able to see again, breathe again, live again, experience again, feel again, etc etc. pictures let you revisit. keep them.
pirl i can only imagine how wonderful you gardens are in real life, they are so gorgeous on pics.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 11, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8886480

would it be bad to let them stay on the stove all night? I don't want to worry about the plastic melting. I will see if I can find a heating pad tomorrow, if I can, I will set it on low and keep it on the bookcase(so hubby don't see it) and keep it on all the time until something happens.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8886511

Thanks, CZP. Some gardens are better than others here.

Do you have heavy duty pot holders? Put down a double layer of aluminum foil on the pellet stoved and put the pot holder in the pie pan, then set the plant on top. Remember the plants need light to grow.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 11, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8886525

thanks pirl, I think I am going to try the heating pad, the other way might work, but we have to get in the stove to put pellets in and taking all that stuff off and putting it back on won't be good for the plant, and we have warmer weather coming so we will be shutting the stove off for a while and I need a back up plan. If I keep heat on the bottom of the pot, how long do you think it will take before I see green sprouts? When they start sprouting, do you take them off the heat?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8886537

I thought you already had the start of green leaves. November 4th you posted a photo of an amaryllis starting to grow. Don't keep switching it from heat to the window to the pellet stove. The poor plant will only suffer. Just leave it in one spot by the window and allow it to grow. You can not rush nature. If you could no woman would remain pregnant for nine long months.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 11, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8886548

It had started to sprout when it was in the ground, and it has not done anything since I dug it up. I will put it in the window and leave it alone.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8886793

Amen to that Pirl...LOL we would all have 3 week babies.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 12, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8886979

Hey Pirl, have the bulbs been in the window all winter? Did you ever take them out for any reason? I am sorry about shooting off at the mouth the other day, it just hurt me to find out that the people I thought were enjoying my pictures thought I was ready for the looney bin. I am a people person and thought that other people would like the same things I did. Obviously I was wrong. But thanks for telling me that I can post pictures here and continue to ask questions. Hopefully next spring I won't bug you too much about the flowers since they will come up when they want to.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8886999

They remain in the kitchen window until they finish blooming and then they go to the unheated porch that has two doors to two bedrooms and gets tons of sunshine all day long. In May they go outside again and they get fed until I put them to sleep in August (dormancy).

Patient or not, there's no way to rush Mother Nature.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 12, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8887089

I went in the bedroom and found the heating pad, it is one that can either have moist or dry heat, should I just forget about the bulbs or should I put them on top of the pad on low heat, it is supposed to be sunny for quite a while, last question about these.(I PROMISE)!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8887307

Not if it means you'll move them away from the sunlight.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 12, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8887704

thanks pirl, you have always had good advice for me and also had patience with all my questions.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8887741

You're quite welcome.

Today I brought in the 31 amaryllis bulbs in 21 pots and they're at the kitchen window now. I'll take photos tomorrow.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 13, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8888102

I would like to see that! You must have a biiiig kitchen window and a very understanding hubby!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 13, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8888177

If I cut off the tops of the faded flowers on my mums, can I keep them alive all winter? They are Ursula Lavender, the ones that were pink in the pot in earlier posts.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8888181

Cutting the tops off won't have any impact on whether or not it can survive the winter. If they're hardy in your zone they'll make it regardless and if they're not then cutting off the tops won't help. I believe that they're hardy to zone 5, and depending on exactly where in OH you are you're either zone 5 or zone 6, so they're probably OK for your area as long as they're planted in the ground. Being in a pot tends to knock about a zone off the hardiness which would make it a lot more questionable whether they could survive or not.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8888191

teddy, IF you have them inside, cut back most of the plant leaving about 1/3. leave it in the window for sunlight and water sparingly. youre basically mimicing the natural process, except inside. in spring itll start growing back faster.
ecrane is more than likely talking about outdoors...?

This message was edited Nov 13, 2011 1:56 PM
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 13, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8888240

thank you czp, I would like to have them again in the spring. I might have some good news on one of the bulbs, it looks like something is starting to happen the papery skin that was down on the bulb has lifted up a little bit. I was looking at it from the outside of the window and it looks like it has lifted.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8888604

The kitchen front bay window is 8' wide and faces south. My husband loves plants and flowers almost as much as I do. He made a big bench custom fit to the window so I could have more plants.

The fact that the papery skin is lifting doesn't mean a thing as far as growth of the amaryllis goes.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 13, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8888724

ok, would it be a good idea to give my Morning Glory that is inside some Miracle-Gro? I have read that it might give me more blooms, or is it too early yet? I think tomorrow I am going to try that idea of poking holes in the sides above the soil of course and putting string or cord around it and put it back in the window, it seemed happier there.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 14, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8890413

I cut the plants by 1/3 and I have it in the window with the Amaryllis bulbs. I gave it a little bit of water and now will leave it alone like I am TRYING to do with the bulbs. I told my hubby who did help me with meausring so I did not cut too much off, and it looks like I gave it a butch haircut! All the blooms came off pretty easily and they were all dead so when spring comes hopefully I can make it go to the pompom shape like it was when it was given to me. But you don't give it any Miracle-Gro until it starts to grow in the spring right? My Morning Glory was going down the side of the bookcase and now it is trying to go back up, tomorrow I am going to put the holes in the bowl to make a hanging basket.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8890615

you dont really have to worry about fertilizing the MG that much. maybe a weak dose for now. same with the mum because the initial bloom is done, its a bit late but you might see some more blooms on the new growth, if any. in march you can put her outside.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8891093

Here is a collage of the amaryllises I brought inside for bloom during the winter and early spring.

This is a page worth reading about how to grow amaryllis:
http://www.vanengelen.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=Amaryllis:XmasSingle

If you follow the directions you will have success.

Please take note of these sentences:

"Use a well-draining, neutral pH, sterile potting soil. Firmly tamp down the soil and give the bulb a good drink of tepid water. Do not water again until green growth appears: early over watering inhibits root growth"
(from Van Engelen's site)

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8891097

There is no such thing as "TRYING" not to water. Just do not water even if the soil surface appears dry. The roots go down, not up, so there is no reason to water from the top or just because it appears dry. You have given the bulb notice to grow by watering so now let it grow.

Here is a photo of the window and the amaryllises: some are hidden by the pelargonium (zonal geranium) that just came back inside.

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 15, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8891155

If I had that many flower pots in the window my hubby would disown me! Our window is not that big, I was wondering, if I leave them in the window and put the heating pad under them would that get them going? i don't see any kind of bottom heating in your window, but your bulbs are twice as big as mine, I also see some of them have already started to sprout, I looked at the one in the water and it has not grown any more roots that I can see. I will just forget about them and see what happens, you are a paramount of patience with me, most people would just say forget it and not talk to me again. But you are so nice and so are the others that help me.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8891311

If you put the heating pad under them it just might move them along but if you do it do not remove it after a few hours or a few days - not until you see it growing.

When I didn't know how important size was I was happy with any amaryllis. Then I learned that the bigger the bulb, the more stalks, the more flowers. I no longer buy locally but only order online. CZP gave a great link to easytogrowbulbs.com and they seem to be enormous.

If we didn't have plants in the window it would look too bare and too bleak on the overcast days.

My husband and I love plants and watching the amaryllis grow in the kitchen window is joy for us. We have an 11' window in the master bedroom filled with plants and another 5' bay window in there that is also filled with plants. In the guest room there's another 5' bay window filled to capacity and on the indoor porch we have the whole room filled with plants and five huge windows and a glass door - all with plants. It makes our home a more cheerful place in winter. Amazingly enough we have two box bay windows in the kitchen, each 4' wide, without any plants but there are some cuttings of coleus in one of those spots.

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 15, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8891576

I have them on the windowsill, do you think it would be okay to put the heating pad under them there? I really don't want to move them away from the sunshine, when it isn't cloudy. I don't think I could put the one in the vase on there right?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8891589

You can put them on a heating pad at the window. Read the first sentence of my previous post.

I wouldn't put the vase there for fear it will be knocked over.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 15, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8891616

I know, I know, I have to be reminded from time to time, my memory is about as long as my little finger, and that aint very long;) You sure have a lot of pots, I don't have that much window space, heck I don't have that many windows! So I will put the heating pad under them and see what happens! Wish me luck!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8891833

Good luck.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8891935

cant wait for your blooms teddy.
pirl, does your amaryllis bloom continuously in summer? or does it have periods of blooms followed by dormancy?> i was curious from when you said before that you ''put them to sleep"
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8891978

A few bloom once in summer - strangely enough all that bloom do so between July 16th and 20th. I put them to sleep when I have the time and space for them so I was late this year and only got to it October 5th. I should have done it in August or September at the latest. Sometimes life gets in the way of our best plans.

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 16, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8893310

I couldn't use the heating pad on the windowsill, it was king size, so I put the bulbs back on the bookcase on top of the heating pad. It is on the lowest setting there is and I have a 75 watt lamp above them.Here is the picture, would a 60 watt bulb be alright to use?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8893344

I seriously doubt the light will make them grow as well as light at the window.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8893397

I agree, I'd go for the window even if it means going without the heating pad. That lamp is WAY too far away to do the plant any good, and even if it was closer the window would still be better. I don't grow amaryllis myself but I know people who grow them indoors and don't use heating pads and they do just fine.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 16, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8893427

They are back in the window and the heating pad is put away, I thought it would give them a boost, but I will settle for the window and PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8893453

Ecrane is right.

Patient or not it's Mother Nature who will determine if it will grow and bloom. It has been through a lot with constant changes and mixed signals.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 16, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8893487

Don't know if I will try this again next winter, I at least got my Morning Glory to grow, if it blooms I will be partly happy. If the bulbs grow and bloom I will be ecstatic! I don't think I have the patience to do this.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 17, 2011
3:16 AM

Post #8893807

I over ordered 2 years ago and had amaryllis in our sun room and when one bloomed DH brought it on the Kitchen table.
My hair dresser plants all her amaryllis outside and in spring and summer she has hundreds of different amaryllis blooming. It is a sight!!!
I planted all my bulbs outside and if I lose them then I will not order again.

As far as plants in the window sill, we had our kitchen window sill redone with a bay and DH arranges them, he is very particular about how they look.

Belle
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8893939

It's so nice to hear! Why shouldn't men love beautiful plants?

I've known quite a few women who refused to be "bothered" with plants but their husbands made it their hobby and they enjoy it so much. The joy of gardening isn't sexually exclusive to women - just look at the banner on this page. It's Dave's Garden.

While I did the actual hybridizing of the daylilies it was my husband, Jack, who raised the 1,364 seeds under lights and grew them.

Thumbnail by pirl

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8894360

holy canoli pirl, thats amazing! wow, it must be sso exciting to be you, waiting to see what curious daylilies youll get! just seeing the grow light set up is exciting!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 17, 2011

Post #8894381

Pirl,
What are you going to do with all those daylillies?

Belle
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8894425

I only hybridized daylilies for a few years. Planting them outside was an experience and then finding space to transplant them as they grew. We gave many carloads of them, and other plants, to neighbors and friends. We did that for a few years and next year many will just go to the curb as they bloom. They are all aside from all I bought.

There are many other gardens besides these.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8894428

Many boxes went to homes on both coasts (and many states in between as well as to a dear friend in Pakistan) and many cars, like this one, were filled repeatedly.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8894436

Just one of my favorites:

Thumbnail by pirl

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 17, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8894472

Oh my!!! It s a full time job!!! I bet it is pretty when they are in bloom!!!

Belle
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8894492

Thanks. Though many are gone and we have just a few hundred left to enjoy, just gardening is a full time job and keeping up with the photos is a good winter job and one I enjoy while the snow falls.

The bay window shown here is in the master bedroom and the windows and door to the left are on the indoor porch.

Thumbnail by pirl

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8894588

theyre gorgeous! so about how many years does the new seedling plant take before it can put out those wonderful blooms (given optimal care)?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8894602

Three years. They have been worth the wait.

Thanks, CZP.

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 17, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8894655

I get obssessive with 4 bulbs, can you imagine what I would be like waiting for seedlings? My hubby would kill me! The soil is awfull dry around the bulbs, what should I do pirl?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8894661

If you husband killed you then you wouldn't have to wait for blooms from seedlings.

You have given the bulbs a wake up call, as we have discussed quite often, so do nothing - ignore them - leave them alone. It's not the moisture in the soil that will make it grow. It's the hormones within the bulb.

Remember - too much water (anything more than two waterings before they begin to grow) can lead to rot. Do you want them to rot?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8894871

Please listen to pirl on the watering, she has obviously grown lots of these successfully and knows what she's talking about and has mentioned several times that you shouldn't water them after that initial watering to wake them up. It's very easy to kill a plant by giving it too much love, so resist your urge to do something for it and just leave it alone and let it do its thing. Until it starts to grow, it can't do anything with the water you give it so all that's going to happen is it'll rot.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8894892

Thanks for the support, Ecrane!
Jim41
Delhi, LA

November 17, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8895132

Always listen to Pirl and Moonhowl. They really know their stuff.

You guys should have seen the photos of Pirls garden when it was chosen to be toured. It was beautiful.

I planted about 150 of Pirl's day lilies. Her "Yankee" day lilies do great down here in Louisiana. I had several that bloomed twice this year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8895255

What a sweetie you are, Jim! Thanks for the compliments.

Here's one just for you:

Thumbnail by pirl

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8895287

Thank you kindly, Jim. Good to see you. Best regards to you and Jo.

Pirl, beautiful gardens as always.If Teddy listens to anyone about Amaryllis growing, it should be you...not only do you have the experience, you have the beautiful blooms as proof.

Teddy, I would suggest that you get a notebook and write down all the good info folks share with you. That way you have a reference to go to for reassurance.

Jim how are the Dragon Lore DL's doing?

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 18, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8895426

Good idea, thanks for the suggestion, I have gotten a cold from my hubby so not very energetic now, but I think I can do the notebook thing. Thanks again pirl and all my Dave's Garden friends.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 18, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8895442

While not as biiig as pirl's, here is my little window garden as you can see, not much space for the heating pad. But there is quite a bit of sunshine that comes in that window. But I thought I would share that with you.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 18, 2011

Post #8895666

I did have to change the water in my vase, rinsed it out and put tepid water in it, and put the water up to the mark and it is sunny today and the storm window that our friend put up as stopped the cold air from coming in. So the heat from the sun should help out little friends start growing.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 18, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8896002

I have my Geraniums in the kitchen for the winter, should I water them at all or not?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8896018

Very seldom. I brought mine in last week and they will get water once a month and NOT a lot of water. You're just trying to keep them alive and not trying to actually make them grow. Spring is the time for growth, not the dark days of winter, so do not even think of feeding them until April. It will NOT matter how dry the top of the soil appears so do not be concerned. Leaves may dry up so you can remove them.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 18, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8896020

Pirl, you said in one of your posts that when the bulbs start to show growth, you need to water them twice then none until you see the color of the bud, the one in the small container shows growth, should I water it any? I did what you suggested I got a notebook and jotted down what you and some of the other ones have said, I also put your names beside what they said and wrote down and have it in a special notebook just for them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8896160

Please post a photo of it.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 18, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8896202

This is the one I dug up and it had this greenery on it when it came up, although I think it might have gotten a little taller, or maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8896210

How many times have you watered it since you brought it inside?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 18, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8896221

twice
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8896223

Then do not water again until you see the color of the flower as the bud has formed.

When you brought it inside and potted it you began the growing process. You have watered it twice and it is growing. Please allow Mother Nature to work her magic.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 18, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8896253

when it grows you can bet I will be taking pictures alll along the way to show you how it is doing. I will be so glad to show my neighbor that did not believe that I could grow them inside what I did, I love to prove this guy wrong!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 19, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8896837

I guess patience(I hate that word) pays off, I hope this is blooming at Christmastime, whatta present! I will send a picture to my aunt and she can show it to my mom, mom does not have a computer, never did, my aunt prints pictures that I send her and shows mom. Do you want me to keep posting pictures of it growing or would you rather wait for the finished product? I have not told many people about this for fear of being called crazy, so this is just between you guys and gals and me. I hope these don't have the awful smell that they say some have, the funny thing is that this will be the first year for this one, it was in the ground in between the Irises and had not come up at all, so have no idea what color it is going to be, I guess we are all going to be surprised.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 19, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8896934

got a question about the one in the vase, it grew 2 little roots and it does not look like it has grown any more, do you think it might be a good idea to go ahead and transfer into potting soil and pot it up? I don't want it to rot in there. The water is not touching the bulb, it just looks like it has stopped growing roots,
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2011

Post #8896990

If you're worried you can pot it up and hope for the best. Even if it just grows foliage and doesn't flower this winter, the foliage will feed the bulb and give you a better chance of flowering next time. When flowers do appear on any amaryllis and finally do die back you will remove the flowering head at the top, not the bottom, to avoid having it make seeds, which uses up far too much energy for small bulbs (or any bulbs).

You've made good progress with the one that is growing and I thought you'd enjoy seeing the progress for yourself and for your mother.

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 19, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8897346

I went ahead and potted the one that was in water. Hopefully it will do well, at least I know with this one NOT TO MOVE it and don't do anything else to it. I think a couple of the others are starting to do something, but it is so minscule that I am not sure whether they are really doing something or it is my imagination. It is like when you are hunting mushrooms, you see them when they are not really there because it is your imagination cause you want to see them so bad.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8897463

A few of ours are growing. It's amazing how fast they grow once they've started. It's the waiting for them to show us the green that can take awhile, as you already know. Ours just got one watering so keep that it mind.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 19, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8897532

I will keep a eye on the one I just potted, it might beat out the other, I don't know, at least I won't make all the mistakes that I did with the others, this one will be taken care of the right way, pot it, water it, and then FORGET ABOUT IT. And of course have...!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8897699

You'll get used to not thinking about it. You don't sit there and think about your summer clothes, do you?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 19, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8897702

you have a very,very good point there.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

November 19, 2011
10:25 PM

Post #8898207

The "Dragon Lore" are doing good. I just got through digging a bed especially for them. They will be the star of the show. I was going to plant it all in the black day lilies but Pirl suggested mixing some other colors in to make them stand out better. I think that is what I'm going to do.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8898377

I am glad they are thriving for you. While they are pretty on their own, a little contrast from others makes them stand out. I love a plant that is hardy, repeat blooms and stands out in the garden. This year I gave away about 30 keikis from the Dragon Lore...they do like to reproduce...grin
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 20, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8899083

I think I have good news, I think I may have a job! I have a orientation tomorrow and the last time I had one of these, I had a job before the week was out. So that will be one way to forget about those bulbs! I had to put the Morning Glory back in the window, it did not like the lamp light, so now I have all my bulbs and flowers in the windowsill that will fit. The Geraniums would not fit so they are in the kitchen, and the crysanthemums are in the entryway. So hopefully I will have a job so wish me luck!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8899122

I do wish you luck. Let us know what happens. In what field do you work?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 21, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8899555

Good luck and congratulations to the new job!!!

Belle

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8899781

Fingers crossed for you Teddy. Hope it all goes the way you want it to. What would you be doing, job-wise?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 21, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8899967

I will be working at AGC which works with windshields. This will be my 3rd time there, I missed my orientation today because the lady at Adecco told me the wrong place to go. But I am on next weeks list, so I will know where to go this time! And I will wear my steel-toed shoes(which add about 5 pounds to your feet).
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 27, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8907548

hey pirl, I gave my MG a shot of Miracle Gro to see what it does, it was looking a little peaked. I was wondering, how are your bulbs doing? Could you take a picture and let me see? Mine are not doing anything, I am going to try the heating pad again and this time leave the plants in the window, I have curtains in front of the windows and I am going to pin the cover(not the pad) to them to take the strain off of the part that is under the plants. My hubby helped me get the Miracle Gro out of the jug and into the soil for the Morning Glories. I think maybe some bottom heat will move them along.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 27, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8907865

I have them on the heating pad on low and in the window, how long do I leave them on the pad? Do I leave them on there until I see sprouts from the ones that have not done anything yet? Help!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8907983

I think the MG really wants to grow outside...in spring, not fall into winter indoors.

Leave the heating pad in place until you see green growth emerging and don't confuse the poor bulbs any more by switching from heat to no heat, back to heat, back to no heat. I would be terribly confused if I were the bulb.

I took this photo on November 24th:

Thumbnail by pirl

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 27, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8908034

You are probably right about the MG. How do you like my little set up in the window? That is the best I could do. Thanks again pirl.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8908055

You did a fine job with your window plants.

Good luck with the job prospect this week.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 27, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8908114

Thanks for good luck wishes, I pretty much already got it the problem is it is just temperary, the thing I hate about being a temp is that they can let you go without telling you why. You can work several weeks or just a few days, I wish they would just hire me and get rid of the middle man. It is my 3rd time at this place, you would think that they would want to keep me on instead of paying unemployment when they get done with me. See everytime they get done with me they have to pay me unemployment. I am glad you like my window arrangement, I hope it it will be okay to have the heating pad like it is, I don't want to run the risk of starting a fire. It is draped on the windowsill and the other half is hanging down.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 27, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8908150

Unfortunately I just found out the heating pad has a 2-hour auto shutoff, will that screw up my bulbs? I did not know that when I put it out there.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8908182

The company's contract with those who will hire you will not allow them to skip the middleman.

I'd remove the heating pad and just let them be. On and off is not the constant heat they would want.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 28, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8908791

Your bulbs look like they are wetter than mine, is it because they are sprouting? I have another heating pad in the bedroom and it is smaller, should I try it or just leave them be? I would like to have at least one bloom for Christmas, but do you honestly think I will have one? I value your advice since you have had such obvious success with them. But if they are not going to grow what should I do with them, just leave them in the window? One of the plants has little bugs flying around it, what do I do with it? They look like gnats, what do you think?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8908847

Leave them alone. (Seems like I've said that numerous times already!)

Sprinkle ordinary cinnamon on the soil with the gnats - cover the soil. It will not hurt the plants.

Mine got the initial watering as I washed each pot when I was bringing them inside and haven't had a drop of water since then. The difference could easily the the soil.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8908870

Gnats generally are found on damp soil. I do not have any gnats but had them on other house plants, on the porch, when I kept them too wet.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 29, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8910746

I went to the 4 hour orientation today, it was mostly stuff I already knew, but it was informative, we went on a tour and I saw some people that I have worked with before, one lady came over and hugged me and smiled a smile that lit up the whole room! The other 3 ladies were glad to see me again too. They said I might be working with them because their department needs people, and that is where my former team leader is working, who knew? I know I will be working there just don't know when I will start, that is the bad part, won't have any money coming in until I start working which is going to make it a little lean around here for awhile, got a picture to show you. There is that white stuff all over the ground and those white specks are snowflakes falling.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8910778

It's good to know that you'll be back to work.

Snow! I'm not ready for that yet. I'm still working about 5 or 6 hours a day in the garden. Today we had 62 degrees but I'm sure you don't want to hear that.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

November 29, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8910794

i wish it was that here today, we really can't complain, the weather has been great especially for this time of the year, although we don't want it, it is going to come whether we want it or not. The morning glory is doing ok, I agree with you though, it wants to go outside for the sunshine of summertime not inside in the winter, but it was a experiment and it is still alive but not blooming yet. Don't know if it is going to bloom though, but it is nice to see some greenery when it is white outside.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8911303

Congrats on the job. Hope you get to work with your friends.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 1, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8912875

aside from being outside where they get all the sunshine and water they need, is there anything I can do to perk up my morning glory? It is still growing but for some reason it looks a little pathetic right now, I had it in the window with the Amaryllis bulbs, but I was afraid it was going to get too cold. I don't know about the bulbs, they still have not done anything yet. I gave the mg a little miracle gro, but it has not made any improvement, maybe I did not give it enouugh, I had a little syringe that I had especially for it and I filled it up and gave it to the plant that way, could it need more? I remember giving the ones outside miracle gro and they went crazy. Let me know if you think I should give it some more, I just watered it today because with the stove on it takes moisture out of the air, so need help.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8912883

No more food for the MG. It's meant to be outdoors, not a house plant.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8912914

teddy, if youd like a houseplant, try pothos. its evergreen, has interesting tropical foliage and vivid color. they are very tough, and dont require much attention. if you want a flowering houseplant try peace lily. the morning glories went crazy when you grew them outside because well they were outside. they can utilize the fertilizer much better that way, they love sunbathing.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 2, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8913587

got good news this morning, I get to go back to work tonight, I work from 3-11 so that takes care of ignoring the Amaryllis bulbs! Going to be concentrating on the job, not the flowers. Wish me luck!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8913749

Best of luck to you Teddy. Hope the job is all you want it to be.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 4, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8915918

The job is easier than I thought, at least I don't have to lift 50 lb windshields! Pirl, you won't believe it, after ALL the advice you and the others have given me and ALL the reading I have done, I finally realized my problem, I did not give the bulbs enough time to rest! I dug them up and tried to get them to grow without giving them a couple of months rest. So I took them out of the pots and put them on a plastic lid on the floor in a cool, dark place and will check them once a week and ignore them the other part of the time. The one that is already got some greenery looks like it just stopped growing, is that possible? I tugged on it a little and the roots seem to be growing, because it feels like it is in there snug. Any advice on what if anything to do or NOT TO DO as the case may be. I really do appreciate what you have told me and I wrote a buunch of it down so when and if this works with the others I can restart them out the right way, I hope I did not destroy the bulbs with all the stuff I did, but they felt firm and no odor.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 4, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8916654

thanks again for all your help pirl and the others, I hope yours does well pirl and hope to have some blooms before long.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 5, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8917141

Are you mad at me? I was not trying to tell you that I ignored the suggestions and advice! It is just that I remembered that I had not let it go through dormancy, I also dug up the one at the corner of the house, I did not want it to die with the cold weather thatwe have. I did not put it with the others that I put to sleep. It has a bright green neck and one long root, just one! Here is a picture and maybe if you aren't mad at me you can give me some more info. the next picture is one with the root.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 5, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8917144

this is the same one with a view of the root, I planted it this last summer and I am confused as to why it only has one root.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8918642

Teddy, part of the gardening learning process is failures as well as successes. Patience to let things die and patience to let things grow on their own. Your life experience with soil, weather and sunlight conditions is different from everyone else's. Many plants I thought were dead came to life on their own, and yours may too. Stop digging them up and leave them alone. If it fails, you will learn to do it differently next time. If they are bulbs that are finished growing, take the whole pot and put it in a cabinet under your kitchen sink and don't even bother to look at it for a couple of months. If it wants to grow it will; if it wants to die, say a prayer a let it go. Don't obsess.

I hope you enjoy your job, and it puts a few dollars in your pocket. Good occupational therapy, and eating is essential.

This thread is officially too long for most people to scroll through, especially if they are on dial-up.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2011 6:44 PM
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 9, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8922749

Good news! The little green one is growing! I can see it has another leaf or maybe it is the stem coming up! You all were right all I had to do was leave it alone, thanks for everything! Out of time, will post the pic tomorrow.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8933406

This conversation has moved to here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233119/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America