Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

September 26, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8825051

Hi, I have been working with my epi's and I have some of the epi oxypetalum, e. strictum and e. hookeri. Are these all the same plant just with different synonyms?
Thanks a bunch,
Linda
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

September 27, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8826280

Thanks for asking that question ibartoo, I have the same ones and have wondered the same thing.
acts
TN_kalmia
Lancing, TN

September 29, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8829811

Oxypetalum is different from the other two you mentioned, but the strictum and hookeri are the same thing. Hookeri/strictum seems to be more temperature sensitive here..meaning I don't keep it in the cool greenhouse with the others because it tends to crash when temps get below 40. It has a place in the house for the colder months. Hope this helps.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8829878

Hookeri has many Synonym(s): Cereus hookeri, Phyllocactus hookeri, Epiphyllum phyllanthus, Phyllocactus stenopetalus, Epiphyllum stenopetalum, Phyllocactus strictus, Epiphyllum strictum. Epiphyllum Strictum and Hookeri are the same and are in the same family as Oxypetalum. All are night bloomers and come from the tropics: Cuba, South and 'Central America, etc. While Oxypetalum has a bell shaped bloom, Hookeri (Strictum) has a daisy shaped bloom. I will show pictures of both. These are true epies while the hybrids we all love are not. Strictum has longer, narrower stems than does Oxypetalum. In my collection, I call Strictum Aster Strictum rather than Hookeri Strictum. A lot of collectors are trying to get examples of all the named synonyms for their collections.

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8829887

Now Oxypetalum:

Thumbnail by orchidman1

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8829894

Larger Strictum/Hookeri

Thumbnail by orchidman1

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

September 30, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8830322

Orchidman, thank you so much. I have some of both and I need to cut some back ( to fit in the greenhouse). I may print out your pics and answers so that I can compare them outside.
Have a great weekend,
Linda
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

November 15, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8891197

Thanks for asking this question, Linda. I was wondering the same when I saw a photo of E. hookeri posted on Facebook and thought it looked exactly like my E. strictum! Nice to know we were neither of us wrong!
My strictum bloomed 5 times this season, and I didn't know to keep it in a warm greenhouse last winter. My GH got down to 36 several times. Perhaps I scared my strictum into blooming with that poor treatment! ;-) It was the only epi that bloomed.

Brenda B
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

November 15, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8891204

Brenda, I have done the same thing. I may leave mine out too long, but they seem to do ok. Right now I need more space for the cuttings I took. Do you need some more cuttings?
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

November 15, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8891406

No, thank you, that is very kind of you...
But wow, that zig-zag or ric-rac cutting you sent has the longest "teeth" on it that I have ever seen.
My ric-rac is just a puny little thing in the teeth department!
I hope the one you sent me roots!
Evidently there are ric-racs and THEN...there are ric-racs! LOL! I'm impressed! Surely they can't be the same thing!!!
~Brenda
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

November 15, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8891428

That particular Ric Rac cacti was about 8 feet in diameter. I had to cut it way back to fit it in my greenhouse. I've never seen 1 that large either.
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

November 16, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8892519

Well, thanks for the share- I look forward to it! Wow, 8'!!!!
BTW, do you have a photo of it before you got busy with the clippers?
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

November 16, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8892619

I will check to see if I have any on the computer.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8892728

Just have to share mine. I didnt even know what it was until it bloomed. All I had to do was open the front door to smell it. This was taken on 9-24-11

Thumbnail by 1lisac

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

November 16, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8892986

That is gorgeous!
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

December 6, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8919363

I thought I had this, but what I got is different. So if any of you guys giving away cuttings I would love to have one. :)
Brenda you haven't sent me anything in a long time, what are you giving up now days? lol
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

December 8, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8921430

Sylvia, talk to me in the spring. I should have some rooted and ready to go.
Linda
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

December 9, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8922741

Thanks Linda! you remember me too. I got so much going on with my hip and this vertigo now days ... come spring, I might not know which way is up.:)
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

December 9, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8923277

Will do Sylvia.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8940351

Just a note on Green House temps for Epies. I keep mine at 38-45 F all winter. This is good for Orchid Cactus. I also have Orchids in with mine at these cooler temperatures and they still do well. The orchids should be kept a little warmer, however! Your main concern becomes fungal diseases and rot in lower temps. I try to spray a fungicide monthly and keep air flow stronger during the winter. bob The attached picture is my GH which is like a chilly jungle right now!

Thumbnail by orchidman1

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

December 23, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8940449

Thanks Orchidman. I am not sure what the temps are running in my greenhouse right now. Our night time temps are still in the 60's with an occasional dip into the high 30's or low 40's. I do have a small heater in there, it is an 8x 24' wooden building, ( but my son uses 1/2 for his art studio and sometimes keeps it steamy) all in all, the plants are basically just in survival mode until I can make other arrangements for them. I will keep track better this winter and see how things work. I cut all of my epis back drastically this fall and have a lot of them rooting. I watered them yesterday and they were looking good.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8940943

[quote="orchidman1"] Your main concern becomes fungal diseases and rot in lower temps. I try to spray a fungicide monthly and keep air flow stronger during the winter. [/quote] May I ask what you use for a fungicide please?

Love your jungle even though it is chilly... Kristi

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8944833

I use Ortho Daconil 2787 mixing it and adding to misting system on a monthly basis. Whenever possible I use Ortho products in the greenhouse. you really need to be careful when adding chemicals to an enclosed environment.

Thumbnail by orchidman1

DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #8952121

Bob, I just looked at this thread for the first time.Your jungle is wonderful! What is the name of your pink epi? It is soooo pretty.
DeeS
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #8952284

The name of the pink is Mor Mor and is my favorite of one's that have bloomed thus far. The bloom below is Space Rocket. I am so hooked on these beautiful blooms! bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1

DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #8952548

Space Rocket is beautiful, but I love Mor Mor. I have put it on my list on notepad,of ones to watch for. I can see why you are hooked on those blooms. I have been drooling all over everyone's pics..lol.. I dread waiting 3 years for blooms, but they are definately worth it! I have a couple cuttings that have new growth on them. I get so excited, when I see new growth...it means another one is gonna make it. Epi's are definately a plant for those with patience..lol
Dee
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #8953289

Okay, guys, what is the secret to getting these to bloom?

Thanks,

Brenda
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

January 3, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #8953629

If you are like me Brenda you miss them because they bloom at night. I gave a friend part of mine and it bloomed and she took pictures to show me.lol
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 4, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #8954952

They must be rootbound. Most bloom at night. The epiphyllum hybrids often bloom during the day, but definitely not until they are rootbound and then it is usually on new growth.
Anyone with better info?
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #8955450

Night bloomers are usually your original plants straight from the lower America's, and the islands. Included: : Cereus hookeri, Phyllocactus hookeri, Epiphyllum phyllanthus, Phyllocactus stenopetalus, Epiphyllum stenopetalum, Phyllocactus strictus, Epiphyllum strictum. Epiphyllum Strictum and Hookeri are the same and are in the same family as Oxypetalum. These are epiphyllums.

Hybrids (breeds derived from these originals), are man made and not epiphyllums, though they are usually called so. They usually bloom during the day and last several days while the original night bloomers only last for a night. There are several thousand hybrids and I recommend joining the Epiforums if you would like to see pictures of most of them ( http://www.epiforums.com/). There is no cost to joining. Your Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter cactus belong to this grouping. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 5, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #8956219

Thank you Bob I will definitely check into that. There is still so much I need to learn about these plants.
This is my pink one that bloomed in late april. After it bloomed, I found a tag, it said millenium, but then I saw a picture online and it didn't look the same as that one that was listed as millenium. This one bloomed for 2.5 days

Thumbnail by ibartoo

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 5, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #8956220

This white one bloomed during the day too, but it only lasted 1 day.

I don't think there was ever a tag in this one.

Thumbnail by ibartoo

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 6, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #8957250

That looks a lot like Epi. oxypetalum. Mine stayed open during the day the first two years from a cutting, then became a night only bloomer. The only other white I have is Epi. crenatum, but both of those have distinctive leaves, and there are a bunch of white hybrids out there that are named.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9000978

I can't be certain, but your white bloom above appears to be Epiphyllum thomasianum. Day bloomer in May. I am certain that it's not Oxy. Look at it http://www.epiforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=10948&catid=searchresults&searchid=63280
bob

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America