magnetic olivine like crystals in this rock.

Corning, CA(Zone 8a)

I took a chip off of this rock ( appears to be basalt or breccia) and then I took the powder and all the rest of the rock chips and ground it upon itself so as not to contaminate it with other rocks... I found that the rock was almost all magnetic.. meaning about 80 percent of it collected back up on my magnet. I washed then looked at the stuff that stuck to my magnet and they look like olivine crystals and golden and almost burnt orange colored very small crystals and almost blackish crystals. Here is my question.

Is it normal for the green and orange golden crystals to be magnetic? I was reading about magnetic olivine martian meteorites.The book mentions that under extreme heat as found on mars.....the olivine gets highly magnetised. They mentino that typically there is some fe in there..so that would probably be why.

I am curious if anyone has any insights on magnetism in crystals like this. Could it be a meteorite for this reason? Worth looking further?

http://books.google.com/books?id=7Wj8V1_27OIC&pg=PA565&lpg=PA565&dq=magnetic+olivine+crystals&source=bl&ots=G5tya9PNpQ&sig=9tcZWKB_JK4YEyiNUoN4dMdWOBs&hl=en&ei=puaATrODI8TQiALAsMGDDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CE8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=magnetic%20olivine%20crystals&f=false

oops, i wont be putting the entire magnet on them anymore...

"A protocol has been established for all Antarctic meteorites that NO magnets are ever used near them. Unfortunately, nomads, dealers and private collectors elsewhere frequently put very strong rare earth magnets on all meteorites, which remagnetizes the outer portions of the specimens instantly. If you want to test the magnetic properties of a possible Martian or any other meteorite, please pry off a small crumb and test that with a magnet instead of compromising the entire specimen. This problem has necessitated core drilling or cutting of some meteorites for magnetic studies in order to avoid the effects imposed by these practices."

Thumbnail by leeannconner
This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!