-
AuthorContent
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8826638

We have tried every sink but stainless steel, so wanted to try it. My delema was I have white appliances. I also had white beadboard that was swelling from water splashing on it behind the sink. So I found glass mosaic tile to tie in all the colors. Can't afford new appliances right now. What do you think?

This message was edited Sep 27, 2011 10:13 AM

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Click the image for an enlarged view.

curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8826643

Some have wondered if you can mix appliances. I wondered about the stainless with my white. Of course all my appliances are white, but this is a broader picture.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

September 27, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8826701

I think it looks wonderful and you managed to find a yellow that looks great (I never could and I have tried many times over the years!)

Stainless sinks go with everything I think.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8827121

I agree that stainless sinks go with everything--I have all white appliances (very much like yours) with a stainless sink and it's never looked out of place. I think where the mis-matching can become more obvious is if you have a stainless fridge but white oven/microwave or vice versa--to me the sink isn't something that would be expected to match (most of the places I've ever lived the sink has been a different color than the appliances)
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8830231

I have all mismatched appliances...but they are lightly used, almost new. They are clean and in great working condition. When we bought this place last summer, 2010, we had to "camp out" in a little building on the property that used t be a store. No kitchen/bath. Just finished with electric. I had to use the top of the deep freezer for my counter top, wash the dishes outside with the closest spigot. We had a refridgerator I had bought new, as the place had no appliances to speak of. Just one over the stove micro. We had to walk across the driveway to the main house for toileting/bathing...after we got it in usable shape.
Anyway..I was so tickled to get a real kitchen back!! After roughing it for over 100 days, and winter getting close...I felt spoiled to get a sink, stove, fridge, micro, all in one spot.

Thumbnail by moxies_garden

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

September 30, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8830479

Spoiled Rotten! Next thing you'll be wantin' is heat!
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8831819

Heat?...We have no heat...furnace, heaters, ductwork, nada...nuttin'...zilch.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8833855

Moxie, you have the same stove I have. I think the cooktop helps tie it all in, plus your appliances look new.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8834425

Hi curvesarein! Yes, they are gently used...works for me. :) My washer/dryer don't match either...but I don't care. I need my washer...and rarely use my dryer. Once in a blue moon perhaps. I am just happy to have new-er appliances...a clean usable kitchen...even if it needs a major re-do. Right now, DH and I are not financially able to do that. We are doing insulation right now. Parts of the house have it, most do not. And we are living on 1 income with no loans or credit cards. What we use, has to be free, cheap, used, recycled. Right now, we are slicing some blue styrofoam dock floats into 1" sections and using them as insulation above our master bedroom. It has none. Brand new construction, 2002, with no ceiling insulation. We found out the hard way last winter when the coldest month we had to pay out $400.00 for 30 days of heat...propane and zone heaters. We have no central a/c..or furnace.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 3, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8834625

you will love that insulation - Our house is a SIP - the walls are solid foam and the ceiling too. Works well.

Our first house (brand new) had insulation in the floors... we checked. peered into the crawlspace opening and it looked good...FOR ONLY AS FAR AS THE EYE COULD SEE!

The builder (a company that developed PUDs - Smaller than Centex ---but still big) said...opps...must have been an oversight!

Congrats on the no loan or credit cards. I bet that insulation you are installing will work great!
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8839150

We have solid foam insulation too and blown in insulation in the attic but we added even more bats.
If you need a goode economical heater I have been told by a friend Eden Pure is the best. She buys everyone she finds at garage sales. I found many on Ebay. I probably will buy one for my AZ Room for this winter.
Linda
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8839203

We just need insulation. Last winter was brutal here, for SC. We were frozen solid for 2 weeks...and temps down to 0F for many days and nights. We knew we have to do work on the place...lots of work, but we have to spend a year living in it too, to see where the worst problems were going to be. We are trying to do all the repairs with cash. Trying to recycle, and use things already existing. Like Habitat ReStore, etc. The place we bought is paid for. No mortgage. So, it would be silly to pile it up with loans etc. The economy is too unstable to get credit cards and loans.
Anyway, we now have 3 window unit heat pumps...with a/c. They work wonderfully. We are also doing the insulation in the bedroom first...then working our way out from there. All 3 units required re-wiring the house. That was $$ spent for wire etc. It is just a good think DH has experience in all of that.
All we have left to do on them is the kitchen. Been waiting for the cooler weather to start the kitchen one. When we do that one, we also have to rewire the stove, and run the plastic tubing for the filter in the fridge. The kitchen will be a mess for a couple of days. Good weekend project.
This place is definintely a handyman special, D-I-Y, and requires extensive amounts of elbow grease. We just need some more elbows. :))
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 7, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8839248

A labor of love and the 'fruits' will last and last and last ...and be done exactly right too!

Your description of the weekend project ----at MY house---- done by my husband---- would be a month long effort! (And that is a conservative estimate.)
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8840701

The "weekend project"...will be taking as many weekends as we need. lol
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 5, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9031195

Hi there curvesarein! Congrats on your kitchen area! It truly looks like a "show" kitchen you see in a model homes in new residential areas. I like everything about the way your kitchen looks too ~~ I'm envious! But, I'm working on mine too and when it comes time to replace the kitchen sink, I'll probably go with a stainless sink this time. Right now, there is a white sink either ceramic or porcelain now and it stains so easily. I try to keep as much of the stain areas from getting too built up, but there are a few that no amount of Ajax or Comet will take off!

I like the glass tile in back of the faucet area too. Great idea! I'll drop in on this site again to see if anyone else has made progress with their kitchens. Once I get some more work done in my kitchen will post a few pics too. I've posted my "after" kitchen clean-up pics on 1 other thread called "Clean and Clutter Free" with a sub-heading called "Ten Hoarding Signs to Watch Out For." You can see the pics there too.

Catch y'all later! Have a great week! :)

Jennie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 198 Apr 30, 2014 6:14 PM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America