Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hostas: "An improved ....."

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 4, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 27, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8826933

Invariably at hosta sites I read that such and such is an improved such and such hosta. Cases in point are the following:

'First Mate' is an improvement on 'Kabitan'. I agree.

'Fantasy Island' is an improvement on 'Island Charm'. I now have both and can't say that I agree. FI is a much more mature plant at purchase. I find IC more appealing.

'Cathedal Windows' is an improvement on 'Stained Glass'. I only have 'Stained Glass'.

'Olive Bailey Langdon' doesn't get the dessication burn of 'Frances Williams'. As I have not had any problem with FW in this regard I cannot comment.
Linda Sue', a sport of FW, is not supposed to get dessication burns. Is this true?

'Dream Queen' and 'Great Expectations' . I have found DQ a faster grower than GE but this might be due to location. Although 'Dream Weaver' was a more mature plant at purchase I have found DW more disappointing than DQ and GE. DW is growing in the same conditions as GE. Of the three DQ has grown the best for me. Once again this may be due to location.

I think it would be helpful if DG'ers were to relate their experiences about claims of improved hostas. Personally I don't want to spend $$$ on something when there is a better version out there.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2011 6:27 PM

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 4:26 AM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8827238

I think 'Sweet Innocence' is supposed to be an improved (tetraploid) version of 'Fragrant Bouquet'. Frankly, I don't think they are very similar.

FB

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8827241

SI - and I've had it long enough that it should be larger than that.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8827245

'Blue Shadows' is supposed to be an improvement on 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa'. Until this year I couldn't tell the difference between them. But this year, BS looked much better. However, TA had gone down hill so early in the summer and so fast that I dug it up and found virtually no root growth since I moved it 2 or 3 years ago. So I don't know whether the difference was due to the plant or the conditions.

This is what they looked like Aug. 3. BS in the background.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

September 28, 2011
1:22 AM

Post #8827421

Thanks for the input, ViolaAnn. I have neither 'Fragrant Bouquet' or 'Sweet Innocence, so I cannot comment on them. I bought 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa' in 2007. I moved it to a new location last year. It is growing better. I planted 'Blue Shadows' in early July this year. Mine appears to be a sturdier plant than TA.

'Jack of Diamonds' is supposed to be the same as 'Tokudama Flavocircinalis'. My TF was planted in 2007 and J of D in 2010. J of D is already the same size as TF. I don't have good pictures for comparison.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America