Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Winter Window Box

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 1, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
monkeeluv6
Conshohocken, PA

September 27, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8827158

Hello!

I had an inspiration! I want to create a Winter Window box and exchange it seasonally with my summer windowbox. (The front of my new house is very plain and white and needs some colorful accents. Waiting to buy some shutters!)

I’m hoping to create a winter window box that will also survive through the summers so I can just plop it out front again come fall/winter. Thus, I’m looking for winter-hardy perennials.

What plants would work for this?

So far I’ve come up with Rock Garden Japenese Holly/Dwarf Winterbush.

What other suggestions do you have?

I’d like some sort of pine-needley looking plant—the problem is, none of these plants can grow too big…they need to fit in and survive in a container. I’d love something with white flower or red berries. Perhaps I can accents with Kale or winter cabbage…but I don’t think they come back each year?

What do you think?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8846389

I love the idea, I am always having trouble transitioning my window boxes from summer to fall and winter. I quite often think of doing fall design with kale, mums or pansies. For winter I do cut evergreen arrangements adding whatever I can find to add extra interest. My roof overhang is very wide so the window boxes don't ever get wet so I can add silk flowers candles and things that otherwise wouldn't go in window boxes. I have seen some very nice dwarf conifirs at some of the flower shows. I wonder how they or other plants would do in window boxes over winter with the freeze / thaw we have in our area.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America