Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: Autumn Containers Garden

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 101, Views: 848
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8827670

There is the beauty of seasonal changes in the air. Autumn is near, autumn is here. So it's time to celebrate harvest time, as well as bidding farewell to the growing season that will come to an end for the year-- soon. I'll share some of the garden-make-over tasks on this new thread. Please everyone join in and share your gardening joy, as well as tribulations.

We came from here the summer's progression. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1192506/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8827689

A close up of the above peach-color brugmansia's blooms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8827857

Thank you for starting the new thread. I just love your brugs, and would hate to miss them!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8828445

Thanks Donna, if you like brugs. You need to be on the look out and find yourself a MEM (Miss Emily Mckinzie) brug. It's like one of our threads on brugs by one of our DG's member who has already mentioned. MEM is THE one to have if we can only have one. She's has been putting out blooms all summer for me. Here comes the next wave of blooms. Tomorrow, these will be a show, I'll post more pix of the garden then. Have a good evening everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8829032

Some of MEM's greenish, yellow buds/trumpets turned white last night ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8829045

... those same trumpets this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8829076

One of the last blooming Plumerias for the growing season. This is 'Kona Hybrid #26' from Mauiplumeriagarden

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8829133

There is no brug more beautiful than the one you sent me a couple of years ago. It jumped out of the pot. Unfortunately I was on a business trip and hubbie did not bring it in from the cold, and it perished. It brought me such joy. Perhaps in the spring I can purchase one from you. It was LOVELY! Looking at your pictures, I just miss it more!

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8829162

Donna, it has been so long I don't remember whether I sent you cutting or an actual rooted brug? As you know the ease of rooting those brugs. Next time I send you one, please take cutting at the end of the growing season, just in case something happen the the original plant itself. I saw the cannas behind those blooms too. :-) Did I not send you any plumerias? I thought I did.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8829168

Other late blooming container planting. This is among one of the butterflies and hummingbirds' magnets in the garden. Mexican Sunflower (an annual).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8829174

Tropical hibiscus still going strong.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8829185

Okay, here goes. The pier planting was waxing and wanning down as we're getting closer to the end of planting season ... It really needs a make-over. Pic. of 'before'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8829191

It was really scary ... a picture, fits for Halloween this year. lol (note the spider web).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8829195

Work's in progress ... I'm working at it. But it's not quite the 'after' picture I had in mind. My gardener-helper J.B. was inspecting my progress this morning, anywhooo.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8829212

The up coming two photos are under inspection. These are temporary deco. placement. In the long run, wind and storm can wipe out my effort. But for the time being it's decked out. ~ :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8829215

2nd

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8829268

I wish I could answer intelligently. I'm the one who didn't recognize it as a plant because it appeared to be a stick. Which I thought was some dead thing. So I tossed it. And you so graciously replaced it. I can be such a dummy!

I remember that we both had a laugh about it.

Donna
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8829281

Oh, wait a minute - the plumerias were the ones I mistook for sticks. If I recall the other two (cannas as well) took off like gangbusters but he plumeria just laughed at me. You sent them in the spring, I believe.

I'm such a dummy!

Donna

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8829296

Awww, sorry for the misunderstanding. We all do it at one time or another. You're such a talented gardener to be able to grow brugs and canna in your temperate climate. And look at other outstanding accomplishment you've contributed in the gardening world! I could learn so much from you, Donna. It was my fault that I assumed you knew what plumerias and its culture was like. A bad assumption on my part. So, on all fairness; we both were at fault. I'll try better at communicating next time, if you'll allow me.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8829304

Back into my project at hand;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8829310

Getting closer to the finish line, but I'm not quite there yet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8829541

No, no, you were not at fault at all. You sent me lovely things. And next time, please let me compensate you for the plants and your postage. You deserve no less! You're a doll.
Decolores
Hillsborough, NC

September 29, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8829556

Lily_love ~ Your project is looking wonderful! You've inspired me to go up to the attic and pull out some fall decorations. Since Saturday is the first day of October PLUS our high temps are supposed to reach only 62 degrees it should be a perfect day to decorate. Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8829591

Decolores from Hillsborough, NC. Welcome to the thread, and thank you. I'm glad you've found a little ummm to get moving forward. lol I'm glad you're taking initiative to welcoming Fall. After all it's beautiful a season. So get busy. And don't forget to take some pix and share with others here on DG.

Donna, it's very kind of you to say. No compensation is needed, yet. lol Just kidding.
Kim

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8829632

On the way home yesterday, I saw these white pumpkins being displayed ... I envision those in my little Fall decoration this year. So here I tried 'em out. Oh J. B. my gardener helper likes it too, I think. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8829822

Okay, okay by the end of the day. My pets were not very excited with my 'artwork' no longer. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8830183

I added more pumpkins to the postcaps that were washed off by the weather over the years in which DH hasn't had time to replace. I'll add more pix. in the near future of any more revision to the containers garden. Enjoy.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8830189

Kim,

Is that your property? You live in heaven from the pics I've seen. Your doggies are lovely. What breeds are they?

Donna

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8830844

Thanks my friend. The view is beautiful yes, but believe me it has its own down side. For instance flood and tornado town. The pooches they're all 'designer pooches'. lol. But, they're loving and best gardener helpers that they'd come.

As I've mentioned before, the wind and storm could wipe out my garden unexpected. I returned home this evening and found the wind was gushing and the water choppy. Viola, plan B! Here goes. Sorry the photo was perhaps over exposed, thus the deep blue color of the sky reflection on the water surface.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8830913

Let's me try that view one more time. As one can see, the main theme is autumn. Chresanthemums and pumpkins. Others were quick color that compliments the setting for a short duration e.g. the Salvia Leucantha. I'll share more pics. of the Mums when they're in full bloom at a later day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8830919

Some of the last plummies blossoms for the season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8831023

Your plummies are even lovelier than the ones I saw in Kauai. The colors of yours are brighter and deeper.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8831360

Thanks Donna, remember those magnificient Plumeria trees from the Islands? They were real trees and not 'sticks' that we try to grow here in the US. As we're getting ready for autumn. I tried some potting plants that I can take indoor, this is my first attempt on this 'ugandense' Clero. in hope that the blooms will last through the dreary winter days.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8831369

What a sweet thing! It will certainly brighten your house! And the flowers are so beautiful that it makes up for the tininess!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8832565

Speaking of the dreary days of winter. Our over night temp. was 39F, and there is snow in some part of the States. I'm so glad that 1st frost for the year isn't imminent here--yet. Otherwise, we'll have scramble to move all these indoor. So here's some beauty that lingers for the duration. MEM brug. Some of the trumpets were really affected by the sudden temp. drop and high wind.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8832572

We went down to 34! Gross! I have so much to do to get ready. Happily it is going up to 65 later and will be in the 70's for the rest of the week. OK!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8836931

A bit of autumn scenery under the morning sunlit.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8837165

Your home looks like paradise.

Love your doggie!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8838220

Thank you Donna, I'm glad you've enjoyed the view. J.B. my best gardener helper? He's like a pony isn't he? LOL A great companion!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8838341

He really does look like a pony!

We are going up to the upper 70's again. Bizarre! An icy spring, a summer loaded with 90 plus days, and now bliss. Nice and cool in the morning for running, then nice and warm. It's weird, because the trees are changing color but the air is warm.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8838867

Donna, the weather down South does fluctuate wildly. It's said that "If you don't like our climate, give it a couple of days, it'll change". And that hold true. Many a time we really don't know how to dress appropriately. For the day started out "chilly" then the noon time ... well it all changes, you can't peel out your garments enough to keep cool or comfortable. Today, though, was a beautiful, almost perfect day. Sunny and mild. Clear sky.

'Tis season for the chrysanthemums!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8838963

How funny. That's what they've always said about Chicago. Except that the conditions it changes to can be quite gross (looking at North Carolina. Sadly, it was a great city in the 70's, but no more.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8839276

Well...Kim... always a pleasure to vew your plantings.. and arrangments... keep up the plumeria fight.. you've found your stride wth them... to have them flowering so... had mine dormant last winter.. and they have been so slow to forget it.. usually I have them in the house growng.. and they do much better.. and flower earlier.. this year we're still awaitng them...
all the best...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8839425

Thank you, Gordon. How's thing going up State NY otherwise? Jim and I visited Huntsville Botanical Garden couple of weekends past. We talked about you...it was all good. When you come home to visit mother, be sure to give us a holler. Love to meet up and have lunch or coffee together or something.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8839430

Oh Donna, things are changing rapidly in our world. Let's keep the faith. Hope for a better days ahead. Keep working on our own gardens...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8839488

Wise words, my dear. Thank you.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8840826

Lily love your dock scape...very nice!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8841029

Thank all, sunkissed, welcome to the thread. :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8841042

A birding viewing nook I thought I'd share at a nature center that I visited today. I'm hoping that everyone is having a good weekend? Will return this evening sometime to share more pix of the garden after dinner.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8841070

Back home, I've more brugmansias in blooms. Currently there are pink, orange, and white brugs that are making their debut. Brugs in my neighbors' gardens too are showing their peak at present (those that are planted in the ground).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8841212

Remember 'Amy' brug.? This is one of my own seedlings that I crossed myself in years past. A very delicately looking pink blossom. Here she goes again. The trumpet will soon open. After the first few first blooms. This next one is looking really promising.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8841216

Gordon, If I remembered it right. You've sent me a cutting for a white double brugs. In which I didn't do well with it. I cannot find it in my jungle of brugs. any longer. Thanks for thinking about me. My pink and coral double blooming ones didn't bloom this year, either.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8841223

Another angle of the dock scape as sunkissed has called it. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8841884

More of the white brugs blooming this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8842646

More of the attractive blooms of these small lilac tear-drops like flowers. I've forgotten its name.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8842721

Oh..Kim... they should all be flowering... I get upset with mine when they aren't blooming all the time ...
that's just a personal problem though... I know they aren't all as good at bloomng as say Georgia Peach.. or Emerald Frost

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8843119

I think you're right Gordon. Some's performance is better than others, for instance 'Miss Emily Mckenzie' too has bloomed an extended long time--like your Georgia Peach or Emerald Frost. While 'Charles Gimaldi' and others didn't do too well this year. That said, environmental influences has alot to do with their ability to shine in the garden...
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8843265

yes... everyone has their druthers.. [ preferences ] .. some tweeking of the local microclime can sometimes help alot... with overbearng weather.. there's not alot of options available... with containers you can juggle a bunch of the factors around.. in the ground there's fewer optons..
Tornados trump most options... glad you escaped them.. I've a few more... different double whtes you can try if you wish..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8843816

Well stated, my friend. I can fully appreciate the meaning of mother nature's wrath. Gordon, thanks for your offer. I'd love to see some double blooming, but if I acquire any more exotic plants. It would be spilling over to the brims -- so to speak. Many thanks.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8843829

This brug looks very much like Charles G. But I could be wrong. Took the pix this early morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8844013

Simple but I love them. Mahogany Whirlybird nasturtiums that I stuck in my tomato pots. I started them very late this year - I thought too late for bloom. I harvest the seeds as they dry, so these seeds were probably first planted 10 years ago.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2011 6:39 PM

This message was edited Oct 10, 2011 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8844035

Those are very pretty, Donna. Thanks for the idea. I've tried some seeds but failed then when I first started gardening. With your idea. I may try them again in the near future. The above flowers I posted and have forgotten what it was. It's known by the common name as 'Chinese Rain Bell'. ( Assam Indigo).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8844065

Actually I just changed the above because they are Whirlybirds, not gleams. I could never grow gleams - I tried for years, and maybe you are having the same problems. I bought tons of gleams from select Seeds (a wonderful company) and they didn't work. I wonder why. Whirlybirds are recommended (certainly by me) much shorter, compact, and they have the advantage of flowers that rise above the leaves, rather than getting lost in them. And there was little maintenance. So I used to put them in the ground in highly visible spots that I didn't want to tend to. Here is an in ground shot from a few years back. They start like this.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8844072

And turn into this.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8844658

Those turned out so very nice. Shade, shade and I've more shade because I so love our trees. So growing some of the colorful annuals only feasible when I grow them in containers anymore. One of the reason why I created my 'portable tropical garden' to the backyard.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8846011

I've posted my own seedling brugmansia on the Perennials thread. But it deserves a spot here for the plant is a container- grown beauty. A brug. called 'Amy'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8846457

Oh, how wonderful to grow such a beauty from a seedling!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8846526

Thank you Donna, it all started way back when... remember these threads? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/754182/
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8846673

I started scanning them. How time flies - 2007!!!

By the way, Lily, how do you control spider mites. The beautiful brug you gave me was incredibly resistant, but I acquired a smaller one that I could not rid of an infestation - not with water, acephate or insecticidal soap. Was it because yours was much bigger? What's your secret?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8846802

Spider mites are one of the toughest pests to rid off. I've no secret but what I've experienced simply = the pests are more of an indoor nuisant. Once they're outdoor. Mother nature seems to have taken cared of their existence or eliminated them one. I only have had problem with spider mites when they are indoor in the greenhouse where the warm environment, top off with stagnant air, and limited circulation. That is when the mites multiply at a rapid pace and became out of control. I hope that helps Donna?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8847271

I overwintered yours in my library - a cool room. It got a few of the little guys but they were easy to handle. But the other one was in my living room next to the patio. I was actually spraying it daily with water. I guess that once they gat a real foothold it's just difficult.

Many beauties have a problem. Roses and japanese beetles - yech!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8847282

Yes, Roses and jb. Amy Lou this morning. :-) The plant is rather small. I'll try to find a spot in the garden to plant one of these and find out whether she'll tough it through some tough winter down here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8847287

I so enjoy these 'Kona Hybrid #26' Plumeria.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8847292

Then there is this little jewel 'Dwarf Pink Singapore' the plant is but 2' high and 3-4' wide. A candidate for an indoor ornamental plant over the winter.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8849058

It seems the pink brug named 'Amy' is getting bigger, and better with age. (pun intended). lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8849061

A close up of 'Amy Lou'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8849186

And the dock scape's Chresanthemums unfurled;

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 12:19 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8850163

Amy's beauty just intensified as she became matured.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8850200

Love your mums! Love your doggie! Love Amy! Are you sure you don't live in heaven? Are you sending pics from there?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8850264

Hah, Donna, thanks for the compliments. But you should have seen the hard work that wasn't pictured here. DH and I are working on expanding the shade garden in the back, everything is really earthy. lol.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8852658

This is really a fun one. A dwarf promagranate tree. This one is but 4.5" tall and it's fruiting. Credit goes to whoever hybridized them. I just bought it from a local nursery.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8852872

Call me strange, but I don't find it satisfying if I don't put in the work. Sometimes it really hurts afterwards, but it's the work of your hands. I truly understand why people have everything installed - I just can't do it. I have been teased on various occasions for "caressing every leaf" but I love getting involved with my plants. When I grow it, install it, and find out what it REALLY wants, I get great satisfaction. Of course, I'm also the person peoples' cats fall in love with me because I drop whatever I'm doing to get down on my knees to give them rubs.

I've just come to accept that when it comes to my garden, I'm anal.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8853232

I can appreciate your view, but I'm at a phase, I'd rather sit back and supervise. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8853264

Another view of the pink brug 'Amy' with the weather cooling down somewhat, and having kept this plant in dappled shade. The flowers lasted nearly a week at a time. Another fringe benefit to grow brugs. in containers. You can move them around to keep the blooms last longer for our enjoyment.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8853277

Oh, I don't know... I think there is a lot of leaf caressing going on there.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8853281

'Charles Gimaldi' brugmansia. On the other hand, brugs that planted in the ground. For instance, this type of brug. can yield multiple flowers in mass planting.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8853284

Pardon. The above is another yellow blooming brug. But it wasn't 'Charles'.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8853286

These belong to 'Charles'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8853290

'Amy' & 'Charles' are seen here together. Amy on the foreground, Charles further on the background.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8853298

A mixture of white brugs and pink in the mix.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8853312

Fragrant hydechium;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8853337

'Dwarf Pink Singapore' plumeria. One'd love this particular one for its ease to be moved around. I brought this one inside last winter for the Holidays, so will I this year.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 7:36 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8853364

'Kona Hybrid #26' final blooms for the season. That's all for now, 'til we meet again. Happy gardening everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8858033

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=iT26Ri1ukH0

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8883771

Well folks, a killing frost is expected day after tomorrow. Most of my tropical containers are safely tucked indoor. Once last time before these are taking out of their temporary container homes, and plant into the ground before 'Ole Man winter arrival.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8883776

A close up. Hope you've enjoyed the thread.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8884364

Well Lily your dock still looks great even with all the brugs put away for the season. I had some catching up to do on the photos...so pretty...all of them. Stay warm...and don't send that frost down here...lol.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8884399

Thanks sunkissed, chances are there will be continuous blooms in the makeshift greenhouse over the winter. And, I'll try my best to stay warm and hope that frost won't visit us as often as it did last year. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8886725

Last year we got our first freeze on Dec. first...really stunk...usually it is not until the end of Dec. closer to Christmas, or January. It is 46 this morning, that is plenty cold enough, much more of this and my peppers will stop blooming. But rest of week should be back to normal.

Love the white Brug. I just have to get some of those in my garden.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8889957

Oh Lily, it's gorgeous in every season!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8900618

Hi all, life has kept me on my toes these past weeks. I just now get a breather. Whews! Glad to return with some plumerias that were brought indoor; DPS.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9001841

Hi everyone, Spring is almost here. Let's come and join me on a new thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241986/ Let's talk gardening and welcoming the new year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America