Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: When the pots are pretty... too pretty... the roots may be ugly: Good Points!

Communities > Forums > Article: When the pots are pretty... too pretty... the roots may be ugly
bookmark
Forum: Article: When the pots are pretty... too pretty... the roots may be uglyReplies: 5, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8827717

I have (and surely many others have) bought poorly planted plants. I do try (if the plant is in a pot) to pull it out and look at the roots, but as you say... that's impossible with B&B trees and large shrubs. I've had better luck with bare-roots from reputable nurseries... usually. Had some lousy "specials" from mega-suppliers.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8827800

funny how when the plants are easier to pull out and inspect, they seem less likely to be holding surprises! I know there are many who enjoy pretty gift plants made for putting on your work desk with no muss---but thats just not me. A plant is a pet with an expected lifespan, to me.

Yes, good reminder that 'baring the roots' ( with some care) is not so awful for a plant, often not as awful as other fates.

Thanks for your comments!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8828079

It's so often a rescue instead of a purchase when buying plants! A pet peeve of mine (I like the 'pets' analogy!) is those dumb little strawflowers they glue to cacti--aaaaargh!
Thanks for bringing up this subject, Sally.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8828517

Ha, makes a very durable 'flowering plant" for many people!
ccrowley
Alfred, ME

October 3, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8833916

"A plant is a pet"...
LOL- I never thought of it that way, but that's exactly how I feel!
My first orchids were some of those half-price, out of bloom dendrobium hybrids from a big box; I figured if they could survive there long enough to go out of bloom, then I probably wouldn't kill them either. And now several years later, they are happy and bloom regularly - two are the same, but oh well!
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

October 3, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8833994

Yet another reason to avoid the big box stores!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: When the pots are pretty... too pretty... the roots may be ugly Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Multiple plants in one pot KanapahaLEW 4 Oct 3, 2011 3:16 PM
feeding trees lilmamabear 0 Oct 3, 2011 8:19 AM
Nursery Trees eskarp 0 Oct 3, 2011 2:37 PM
Another Horror Story the_naturalist 3 Oct 11, 2011 6:00 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America