Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: When the pots are pretty... too pretty... the roots may be ugly: Good Points!

Communities > Forums > Article: When the pots are pretty... too pretty... the roots may be ugly
bookmark
Forum: Article: When the pots are pretty... too pretty... the roots may be uglyReplies: 5, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8827717

I have (and surely many others have) bought poorly planted plants. I do try (if the plant is in a pot) to pull it out and look at the roots, but as you say... that's impossible with B&B trees and large shrubs. I've had better luck with bare-roots from reputable nurseries... usually. Had some lousy "specials" from mega-suppliers.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8827800

funny how when the plants are easier to pull out and inspect, they seem less likely to be holding surprises! I know there are many who enjoy pretty gift plants made for putting on your work desk with no muss---but thats just not me. A plant is a pet with an expected lifespan, to me.

Yes, good reminder that 'baring the roots' ( with some care) is not so awful for a plant, often not as awful as other fates.

Thanks for your comments!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8828079

It's so often a rescue instead of a purchase when buying plants! A pet peeve of mine (I like the 'pets' analogy!) is those dumb little strawflowers they glue to cacti--aaaaargh!
Thanks for bringing up this subject, Sally.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8828517

Ha, makes a very durable 'flowering plant" for many people!
ccrowley
Alfred, ME

October 3, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8833916

"A plant is a pet"...
LOL- I never thought of it that way, but that's exactly how I feel!
My first orchids were some of those half-price, out of bloom dendrobium hybrids from a big box; I figured if they could survive there long enough to go out of bloom, then I probably wouldn't kill them either. And now several years later, they are happy and bloom regularly - two are the same, but oh well!
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

October 3, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8833994

Yet another reason to avoid the big box stores!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: When the pots are pretty... too pretty... the roots may be ugly Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Multiple plants in one pot KanapahaLEW 4 Oct 3, 2011 3:16 PM
feeding trees lilmamabear 0 Oct 3, 2011 8:19 AM
Nursery Trees eskarp 0 Oct 3, 2011 2:37 PM
Another Horror Story the_naturalist 3 Oct 11, 2011 6:00 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America