Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Another Preditor to add

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 25, Views: 331
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8827879

to the list. I got a cheap game cam a month ago because of all the coyotes around here but all I have captured is coons and squirrels until last night

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 28, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8827996

Wow! Great picture!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8828075

good catch!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8828144

so surprised to not have gotten a coyote. I think the wake up on the camera is slow since I get a lot of rear end shots. I can't hear it make a noise but something spooks them. Only a tiny red and green light shows on the camera when it takes a pic and the camera itself is green camo. I was going to put a little piece of duct tape over it but hubbie said it would probably make the camera not focus or sense a animal. Anyone know??
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 28, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8828290

When all else fails: read the instructions.

I don't know, but now I want one - camera, not bobcat.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8828405

Man! Can you believe that? Wow.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

September 28, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8828663

Beautiful cat! At least with Bob Cats, they have a large range (up to 35 miles) and they keep moving, only staying in one area for a week or so. They tend to make an almost yearly circle of their territory, so he will only be around once or twice a year. We have one here that we either see or find sign of about every six to eight months. I've never lost much to them. If they take something, it just pretty much dissapears, maybe only a few feathers where it is caught. They take and run and carry it quite a ways away. They are extreamly shy, but amazing little animals.
Illig1
Redwood City, CA

September 30, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8831148

Gorgeous animal!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8831681

It's back. That is one patient cat. He is after the Racoons. Watch the time stamps of his progression to get close and how stupid the coons are. He didn't get one that I am aware of as it comes back for one last look about 1 1/2 hrs later. I reduced the pics for those on dial up

pic one you see its eyes way back in the darkness which is probably about 50' or less as my game cam is only supposed to have a 40' range(cheapie)

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8831682

pic 2 a little closer

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8831685

pic 3 nine minutes from first seeing it he is where the coons were

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8831687

and one last look 1 1/2 hrs later. See how slow my cam is at waking up to take pic. Almost missed it

Thumbnail by DonnaB

porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 1, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8831810

That is a really cool sequence!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8831961

wow did any of you notice?? I have 2 of them. Look at the tail in the very first pic posted to this thread. See how long the tail is? Now look at the tail in the very last pic. It has a bobbed tail!!!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 1, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8832027

I just think the whole game cam thing is neat! How cheap is cheap? I really want one now.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8832039

I'm thrilled we have wildlife that have survived to be honest. I know you don't want them eating your poultry, but aren't they remarkable? Awesome pictures DonnaB. Thank you for sharing them with us.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8832144

PP I got mine for $65 on e-Bay brand new. I got tired of waiting and nabbed it the last second of bidding. Guy is in TX where it came from. Think he sells this one for $70 BIN. I'll send you the info. If he is close to you, you can save shipping picking it up from his store. I researched reviews on them for several weeks and mine is the best in its price range.
Some of them run in the 100's of dollars and have color shots. I don't recommend one less than 3 mp

LFJ as long as it hunts at night it is safe from me. If he shows up during the day and I scare it off and it returns again he will get a clip emptied in his butt!!! 1 out of 8 should hit him at least once. The ducks should be safe since the pond is full again. They spend most of the day down there now but still come up by the house & Aviary at least once in the afternoon

It is a beautiful creature
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8833040

Yes, he probably sleeps in the day so he is safe. All your poultry are locked up safe at night. Everything is good.

Looking forward to more picture.

copperstone
The Dalles, OR

October 3, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8835176

I have a question for those of you who have Bobcat's, Cougar's and such:
Are the racoon's a natural food source for the cat's? I am asking because I have a real problem with 'coons killing my poultry. I have had to beef up all of the cages I have my chickens and pidgeon's in, and we are now planning a poultry house.
I obtained a permit to kill 5 of the 7 we have seen so far, but we have had just one confirmed kill. AND, to top it off, one of the trailer park tenant's raised you know what when I shot the one coon out of a tree. We even had a State trooper here.
The coons here are aggressive and not afraid. The woman who yelled at me that night, doesn't realize that coons will sit on her back porch and not let the human's out of the house. I just hope and pray it won't be her kids that open up the back porch door. Scarry to say the least.
If the coons are a large cat's natural prey then I guess I should plan on having a cougar here. I had a young cougar the first year I moved in, but it was terrified when it saw me and took off like lightening.
The grade school not far from here, issued an order that the kids were not to walk home at all. Either they were on the bus or someone picked them up at the gate. A cougar had come down right into the ball field and liked to have freaked everyone out. Especially the teachers.
cs
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
11:45 PM

Post #8835255

yes my Bob Cat is stalking the Coons. I put out scratch for them half way down the dam of my pond about a football field away from my house and pens to keep them away from my pens. I never knew I had a Bob Cat until I got the game cam a month ago. Coyotes were my big problem. I caught one at 2:30 in the afternoon coming out of the woods at the corner of my Aviary(Exotic Ducks) after my domestic ducks that free range. All my pens I have 1/2" hardwear cloth or 2" welded wire on top of the chicken wire about 3' up the sides and on the outside perimeter on the ground.
copperstone
The Dalles, OR

October 8, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8841465

Question:
Are we allowed by any Federal law to eliminate the problem animal's that kill our stock?
Here in Oregon, only a few species on a list are allowed. I had a bunch of red tailed hawks here yesterday, but since all of my poultry types on behind wire, they didn't stay long.
However, I have to admit, if one of the hawks had tried to attack, I won't hesitate.
But, I do worry about getting into trouble with the law. I do not want to have to kill any of the wild animal's, but I am sick and tired of going out to the yard and finding what's left of prize chickens. And the laws now are written so that a human can be arrested and spend some time in jail for just defending their own.

cs
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 9, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8842345

All hawks are protected by law, so you could end up in jail for killing one.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8842642

you could face 5 yrs in Fed. prison and/or a $5,000 fine for shooting a Hawk or any other U.S. native bird. Game birds & Ducks are the exception when in season and not over a baited field.
House Sparrow and European Starling are can be shot as they are not native birds. Here Coyotes, Bobcats, Hogs, Coons, Opossums etc. can be killed anytime if threatening live stock

Bob Cat is still around but no good pics yet. I set it up for movie mode last night and I don't know if the delay or low batteries I missed something big. Little One(tiny Sebright hen) died yesterday very quickly (less than a day) from being eggs bound. So I used sod staples and secured her to the ground in hopes of some good Bob Cat video. Well the Opossum tried a few times and couldn't get her loose so just took a bite from the rear end and left. Never tried any more. About 30 videos later she was still there and then the next video she was gone grrrrr. Either Bob Cat, Coyote or dog. Had to be something with some strength to pull out 2, 6" staple from the ground. I have a coon & opossum fight video. Tried to post it here but nothing came up. Have to figure out how to load to Utube so I can show it. The game cam will take 30 second videos. I got 70 videos last night but then it stopped. I changed out the batteries so will see what happens in the morning. Mostly all coons having a party with all the stale Little Debbie snacks I put out lol

This message was edited Oct 9, 2011 7:51 PM

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8842865

Would enjoy seeing them.

You just make an account at youtube and it will take you right to "upload" videos, at least as I recall.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8842872

I did it. I made a new thread called Game Cam Videos. They are only 30 seconds long. I posted 1 and will add others as I get something good or funny
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8843397

I tried posting this before but somehow lost connectivity.

Thanks for posting! That is sooooo cool! I've been away on vacation and came backe to this! I always have trouble thinking up something for DH for Christmas and a "game-cam" is just the thing! Woohooo!

Thanks again!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America