Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Shady Gardens: Wild white ageratum

Communities > Forums > Shady Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Shady GardensReplies: 16, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 29, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8829354

I've noticed a few wild white ageratums blooming in my full-shade sites. Didn't plant this one although I've had the perennial blue ones planted in my garden for years. The white ones aren't growing near the blue ones so I'm thinking some wild seed blew in? Any issues with these wild ones? I kinda like having them blooming at this time of year when there's not much left for color (other than leaves).

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9031689

Not sure what your natives are in the region, but is this a boneset/eupatorium?

They tend to prefer shade here on the east coast. The hardy ageratum used to be in the eupatorium family but is now called Conoclinium colestineum.

The typical wild white boneset on the east coast is Eupatorium rugosum.

There are some cultivars one I have in my garden is called a "Chocolate Eupatorium" with the same white flowers, but dark purply leaves which also tend to prefer shade here in our heat.

Hope this helps.

A.

p.s based on the usda plants list this could be your culprit.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 6, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9031963

Amanda - thanks for the info. The wild white boneset is an IN native so it is a possibility. Since I didn't take a photo last year, I'll have to check it out this season. I hadn't seen it growing in the past so it surprised me and I couldn't figure out where it came from. I also get a white Penstemon but it's a little fickle, coming and going each year.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9032349

Plants have a funny way of moving around. :)
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 6, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9032516

The most notorious for moving around here are bloodroot and wild ginger (Asarum) - both planted, not native.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9032950

That's very interesting!

Both natives here. I plant mostly natives so I'm very interested to learn. I wonder what if any effect their spread has on your natives? Are they considered noxious invasive weeds?!

Curious.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 7, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9033415

Hmm - unless you consider poison ivy a native, I have just a few desirable natives. I do have eastern water leaf which is pretty and tends to be more invasive than some of the "imported" plants. Also a dark red native trillium with spotted leaves. Of the two mentioned in the last post, the Asarum tends to be somewhat of a thug in my opinion. Freely grows wherever it wants and tough to pull out - the root system is pretty tough. I do protect the trillium but have to edit the water leaf at times.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9034225

I have lots of 'wild' natives, most of which I enjoy (bloodroot, phlox, celandine poppy, mayapple, trillium, geraneum to name a few). But, Cindy, a word of caution about wild eupatorium rugosum; it is totally invasive for me. I can't tell you how many I've pulled and have barely made a dent. I think I may have admired it the first year or two, for it's late season bloom. But I regret it now. At least in my neck of the woods, they'll choke a woodland for sure.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 8, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9034445

Wow - thanks for the info, Weerobin. I only noticed 3 plants last year and they were all some distance from each other (which I thought odd). I will definitely keep an eye on them. The mayapple here is truly a native - well, I'll just say I didn't plant it. I am enjoying the celandine poppy with it's cheerful yellow flowers. I do get some seeding around but it's easy to pull up. What has gone crazy is Virginia bluebells which has seeded out in the woods beyond my property. Something I feel very guilty about. We also have lots of wild yellow irises in the wetlands and it's quite a sight when they're all blooming.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9035428

I wouldn't feel guilty about facilitating spread of bluebells! I know they can spread (mine are all volunteers), but I've never heard of them being invasive?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 9, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9035647

Don't get me wrong - I love the bluebells - and don't consider them invasive. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive about escapees.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9035712

Being overly sensitive about escapees isn't a bad thing. Just one wildly invasive plant can cost us untold grief.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 9, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9036162

Around here, we see purple loosestrife gone wild. I don't think at this point that it will ever be totally eradicated. A lot of the surrounding area can be low-lying and water is channeled or collects. The loosestrife loves those conditions.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9036844

purple loosestrife is on the invasive list in a lot of NE states.

I would think that if ageratum is a native plant then it's spread would be part of a natural cycle. I know that it reseeds easily and in open available soils could probably reproduce widely. I've never heard someone caution against it for being invasive.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 10, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9037046

I will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get out of control. I used to have a wild Penstemon - a plant or two - but it's disappeared. Not that I've pulled it but it's just gone. Perhaps I changed the soil structure too much in favor of other plants and it didn't like it. Not too many plants are fond of fine silt on top of clay.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9037268

To be clear, I'm referring to eupatorium rugosum.
Whether it's also called wild ageratum, I don't know.
I haven't seen e rugosum listed as invasive either,
so I guess it's just the conditions in my yard.
But it's my worst nuisance plant, invasive or not.
I have lost ground to it, despite pulling it relentlessly.
So just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't misbehave in your yard too.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 10, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9037538

Honestly, I should have studied it a bit more to ascertain exactly what it is. I think Ageratum came to mind because I do grow the perennial blue ones.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America