Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: How do I overwinter catnip?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8829715

I have a nice healthy bushy catnip plant growing in a pot. I would like to overwinter it, but not sure how to do it. We have cold, sometimes very snowy winters and I think I might have a better chance of keeping it alive if I can leave it in my unheated garage for the winter. How do I take care of the plant while it's in the garage? Thanks :)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 29, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8829808

once the plant naturally turns brown end of season, get sharp knife and remove all the dead Grey foliage, leave stems about 2 inch long, make sure the garage has a bit of light so the plant is still getting some sunlight, the garage is just used for protection.
Every few weeks give a LITTLE water, just enough to keep the plant alive, early spring, put the Nepita plant outside, water well and leave to get on with regrowing, I am in a zone about same as you and mine are in the garden all year round, if you have to, you can always build a little shelter with garden canes and soft horticultural fleece, this fleece allows the light in, wind and snow off and water from rain can still get to the soil,
Hope this helps, WeeNel.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 29, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8829942

You could just bury the pot in the ground (or for that matter, plant it in the ground and grow it outdoors). Catnip is not a tender plant, and winters over reliably in zone 3 and colder.
ryguy319
Owosso, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8831770

I live in a zone 5 and catnip over winters well in this area for sure it will probably multiply well for you more than you will want it to.
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8831979

Your catnip will spread like wildfire, trust me. I find it reseeding in places where I never thought it would reach. I live in Northern Michigan and most of mine is planted on the west side of my garden. It always comes back.

Deann

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America