Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gardening by the Moon: Gardening Calendar for October 2011

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 11, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8829724

Wishing the best Autumn gardening and a good weather for all of you!

October 2011
1st-3rd Do Clearing And Plowing, But No Planting.

4th-6th Plant Tomatoes, Peas, Beans And Other Aboveground Crops, Indoors In The North, Outdoors In Lower South.

7th-8th Poor Planting Days. Kill Poison Ivy, Weeds, Clear Land, But Do No Planting.

9th-10th Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops, Extra Good For Vine Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.

11th-12th A Barren Period.

13th-15th Good Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Onions, Turnips And Other Hardy Root Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable. Good Days For Transplanting.

16th-17th Poor Days For Planting, Seeds Tend To Rot In The Ground.

18th-19th Best Planting Days For Fall Potatoes, Turnips, Onions, Carrots, Beets And Other Root Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable. Also Plant Seedbeds, Flower Gardens. Good Days For Transplanting.

20th-23rd Grub Out Weeds, Briars, And Other Plant Pests.

24th-25th Good Days For Planting Root Crops, Fine For Sowing Hay, Fodder Crops, And Grains. Plant Flowers.

26th-28th Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops And Leafy Vegetables Such As Lettuce, Cabbage, Kale And Celery, Where Climate Is Suitable. Start Seedbeds.

29th-30th-31st Do Clearing And Plowing, But No Planting.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8833368

I'm here, Cristina! Thanks again for doing this. I hope that more members are making it worth your while.

Evelyn
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8834840

Evelyn, Howdi!

Thanks, I hope that too. The first time I visited there was not a calendar anywhere and I thought that it was essential to have a calendar posted to make justice to the name of the thread, that was in November 2009. Many moon have passed and while I have the calendar I'll share it with anyone that want / need to use it.

What would be good is to share more experience about the same, or any story connected with the moon or star and gardening.

Now that your climate is changing I imagine that many of you are trying to overwinter some plants. On the other side, we are heading into nice, warm weather and a lot of work in the garden.

cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8835128

Yes, Cristina, it is getting cooler, just in the last week. You must be starting your tomatoes from seed right now, huh? what have you started from seed this year, and what are you going to plant?

Do you have flowers as well as veggies? My tomatoes are finally ripening, now that the season is about finished. they were very slow due to the lasting cold in May and June.

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8837482

That flower is a real beauty, Evelyn I just love it.

I have chard, cilantro (coriander), parsley, beets, yes, tomatoes and I hope to be here long enough to see them fruiting... for the same reason I am not putting many annuals. I do like flowers but I have many things going at one time and I'll have to see what I'll be doing, but I am still planting some vegies.

I have my garlic going well and my potted herbs producing beautiful, beans and peas, 3 different lettuces ...

If I move I'll have to sell or give away a lots of plants, my camellias that are all in flower, my bulbs I have many are another thing...

Better not to go on, I'll see what will come my way and then decide. Cannot say more.

Cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8837715

Cristina ~ Are you moving away from your home?

Evelyn
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8838862

May be, I am not sure as yet.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8839053

Has anyone read the article in the latest DG newsletter - "Gardening by the Moon"?
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8841167

Evelyn, thanks to your post I remember to ask DG's Adm. why I did stop receiving the Newsletter.

And Melody will help me to start receiving it again, also she send me the link for the Newsletter Library:

http://davesgarden.com/weekly.php

I will try to read the article tonight.

Cristina
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8841221

Eveyn, I just read it and what can I say?

I'm already a follower, but is always interesting to read about it.

The article in Dave's Is here:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/868/

Cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8841374

I thought that some others might be interested in reading it, but so far you and I are the only ones "here".
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8842477

Perhaps anyone else is too shy to post ...
It may be.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America