CLOSED: 2nd Annual Neck of the Woods SwapPage 2

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Just like last year, we’re sharing food items that are popular either where we live now or places where we have lived.

A few suggestions to get you thinking are spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, honey or molasses, cheeses or breads, jams or jellies -- just to name a few. You’re welcome to make home made goodies if you’re handy in the kitchen or go shopping for your Buddy.

Fall is also the perfect time to share Spring and Summer blooming bulbs, divisions of Perennials you’re already growing, freshly harvested seeds, or other gardening items that fit within your budget.

Our previous thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1216694/

Rules and Guidelines…

There aren’t any changes from last year. The value of our items should be $20, less the cost of Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. For privacy, tracking numbers should never be posted on our threads. Instead keep your receipt handy or D-mail me the number you use.

Please mail your packages no later than the week of October 17th.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2011 9:07 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Participants:

ClanCampbell / Chris: Love flower smelling candles, but not food smells;
no allergies, so anything goes; love all nuts (notice I'm refraining from the very enticing joke right here???)
do like to try regional spices and sauces (specially BBQ and spicy stuff)

Cris316 / Cris: Allergic to bananas & grapes. Love baked goods & chocolate. Have 6 cats in feral colony & 2 house cats. Most of yard in full sun, average soil.
We recently painted our home a medium shade of grey & looking for vibrant blue/purple flowers or reds to go into our new white window boxes. I'll give any flower a whirl if you don't have WB types. Don't like datura & not partial to yellow flowers (although both are growing wild in my yard).

Crit / Patti -- > RECEIVED FROM Mandy97
No allergies. I love homemade goodies. Have a large partly shaded flower bed I need tough plants that are drought resistant and thrive in lousy clay soil. Have dogs, donkeys and horses.

deejay9 / Susie -- > RECEIVED FROM lizrainey

froggiesgirl / Julie

FruitOfTheVine / Susan: No food allergies. My beds, except a small one that gets a bit of morning sun, are in Full Sun. Love dark chocolate, wines from other locals, and homemade goodies...anything goes from jams to spicy salsas.

happgarden / Joyce: No food allergies, love chocolate, love plants, have sun, shade, part-shade, have a small water garden, love wines, have 2 basset hounds, 1 black lab, 1 wire terrier, 1 black cat, and some koi. If someone wanted to make me a sign for the garden shed I would love it or anything homemade.

lizrainey / Liz -- > RECEIVED FROM rouxcrew
No cheese products please. I have no food restrictions or allergies; I likes homemade things, jams, jellies, chocolates, also wines, beers, seeds; charms for my bracelet.

Mandy97 / Mandy -- > RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine
I don't have any food allergies, and I am interested in homemade goodies (jams, baked goods), local stuff (wines, syrups), bulbs and seeds (zone 5 hardy, mostly sunny areas - a few partially shady).

ordairygirl / Tessa: Willing to grow anything you send me. Allergic to garlic powder. (can do fresh garlic, I know its weird).

rouxcrew / Joy: Allergic to Shrimp. No smelly candles please, love regional fare, spices, and hot stuff, flowering plants, outside things. Surprises.
No houseplants please, I don't have safe places.

Sundownr / Bev -- > RECEIVED FROM deejay9
I live in zone 6a, have a small shady yard with a tiny goldfish pond and a few miniature gardens. I grow herbs, fruits, and veggies in the few sunny spots I have, and starting a rain garden in our low area (in dapple shade). I don't have any healthy spaces for house plants. The house trim is cocoa brown and I try to plant shade-loving peach or maroon flowers when I can find them. I do not care for fragrant candles or soaps. Allergic to bananas, but tolerate the quantities in breads (thank goodness because I love them). I collect "old-timey" cookbooks and recipes, specifically Appalachian and New England based. I love dark chocolate, chutneys, all nuts, arts & crafts, and will certainly enjoy any homemade goodies sent.

taters55 / LK: No allergies, all plants need to be for full hot Texas sun.

Tina_A / Tina: I'm allergic to most flowery scents except rose and vegetable scents don't bother me either. I'm also allergic to bananas, avocadoes, and latex. I love baked goods and most everything else, especially dark chocolate, except fish.

warriorswisdomkathy / Kathy: No alergies, love chocolate, garden signs could be wonderful addition (English Cottage type garden) Love most any plant,very little shade (no beds there yet).. Love plants of ALL sizes, especially the tall ones, need more for the back of the border. Pink, purple, white, blue & red are favs, Zone 5, 6800 - 6900 feet above sea level.

Cville_Gardener / Carole -- Staying to chat!

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 5:26 PM

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new room. Waiting on our names.

Buddies have been assigned. Everybody check your D-mail. Reveal your buddy upon receipt of your package and post a pic if you can.

The suggestions your buddy mentioned are just that, especially when it comes to plants, bulbs, and seeds which would be considered bonuses. Please keep in mind we are primarily exchanging regional fare. Anything else you'd like to include is gravy...lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I love gravy, good white gravy with pepper in it and for breakfast sausage, and with fried chicken, or chicken fried steak, biscuits, and mashed potatoes....yummmm....

OK I am starving.
Got my bud and I am soooo excited!

Paw Paw, MI

Yay! :) I have my buddy and am ready to play (a.k.a. do a little shopping trip). :)

Like the way you thing Mandy...rofl.

hayward, CA

yaaaaay got my partner

Many of us have been trading and swapping for a long time and making matches isn't always an easy task. I will say this, no one is going to receive from the person you send to, so we're having a true round robin. And there are no buddies exchanging from the same state. On top of that, I'm so tickled we have several new folks joining us!

You know in ancient times, and still true today, that 'men are hunters and women are gatherers'. Gotta admit I've been gathering for a couple of weeks and am just about finished, I think...lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Anxious to see what you all receive!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Paw Paw, MI ... what a great name!! ^_^

hayward, CA

finally my box is ready! now i have to get a bigger box to ship hopefully it will be out this week

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Liz you're ready all ready? Good heavens I've been looking but haven't shopped yet.

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

This swap really makes you think about what's available in your area that might not be available elsewhere. I've got a good list going. Some of our main agricultural products such as potatoes, onions and milk are either perishable or heavy...don't think anyone wants a box of stinky onions (but they are harvesting them in the field next to my house). Shopping on Wednesday, crafting a little project tomorrow and collecting seeds today. Hope you all are having as much fun as I am putting this together.
Tessa

hayward, CA

chris yes, but my goodies out grew my box so i have to find a bigger box lol
guess this swap was easy for me living so close to san francisco,
hope my swap buddie is surprised.

Look at the early birds, and we still have two weeks left to mail.

What kind of onions are they harvesting, Tessa? Walla Wallas are a close second fav, but Vidalias from Georgia are sweeter and hard to beat. They start showing up in our grocery stores about May and are kaput by August. I stocked up, stored them in panty hose with a knot tied between each one and hung them up. When I need one, all I do is snip one off. Hope they last til Christmas like they did last year.

My local shopping is finished. Need to go into town for one more goody VA is famous for :)

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

They have yellow Spanish gold mostly in this area (standard yellow onion at the grocery store) but also red and white onions. The Walla Walla's are grown about 3 hours from here in Washington. I love the pantyhose idea, I haven't found a way to store them yet so they won't rot and this would work great. They are really strong just out of the field, make you really cry until they mellow with age =) I live on a dairy and there are spearmint fields close by. Aroma can get strange and overwhelming with mixing all those. A neighbor grows asparagus too. Really appreciate the diversity. Wish I was on the pretty moist side of Oregon some times...we are high desert here with only 12" of rain a year. No berries, salmon and shady plants will be in my box =) Wish I could send dairy products safely in the mail, nothing like fresh whole milk!

Tessa

hayward, CA

omg fresh asparagus and onions yummmm

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

I'm with you Liz. Got a great recipe for oven roasted asparagus, onions and tomatoes :)

Paw Paw, MI

Mmm... that does sound tasty.

Ya'll try the pantyhose deal to store onions. They look really funny hanging way down in my laundry room but it's cool and dark in there and the onions keep really well.

From that trio of veggies, I've only grown Spring onions and various types of tomatoes. Love asparagus but it isn't one of hubby's favorite veggies at all, neither is okra. He says both are slimy...lol Give me a can of asparagus and I'll slurp 'em down one at a time. Fresh ones are delicious too roasted with bits of garlic. And I won't even tell you how many pots of steamy hot okra with stewed tomatoes, corn and black beans I've eaten in my lifetime with buttered cornbread on the side.

Only vegtable my DH HATES is asparagus, he actually asked me not to even bring it in the house when we first got married. So I only eat it out. I like it but because it is different back can't say it is my fav veggie. Fruity gotta agree with your DH on okra....really don't like it. LOL

I still have tomatos coming on the plants, tons of cherry tomatoes.

Excited to get started on this swap, it is so much fun.

(Bev) Wytheville, VA(Zone 6a)

OK Susan, now I'm hungry!

hayward, CA

now that i got my bigger box,
well lets see how careful the post office is on nothing breaking :O
i got styrofoam blocks and bubble wrap, my swap buddy will die laughing at my packing job lol

cris thinking about that asparagus again i worked with a guy many years ago who knew of a field of wild asparagus omg it was so good i begged and pleaded with him on the location but he wouldnt budge he would only tell me it was up north what a party pooper lol

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

Asparagus used to grow on the ditch banks where I grew up (eventually all the spraying has eliminated it). I remember it being a traffic hazard because everyone was driving super slow scanning the ditch banks for asparagus =) The farm up the road is only about 10 acres. This time of year it looks like they have let the farm go, because asparagus looks a lot like big dried weeds when its mature. I hate it boiled and don't like the big ones. But tender little ones roasted in the oven with a little olive oil and parmesan are to die for.

I've got my stuff bought, now just a little crafty project and to find a big enough box.

Tessa

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi all, sorry have been busy planting. I'm naughty.... Went to a nursery in Denver ('bout an hour away), and....Oh I'm so naughty. Lol. They had there fall sale on, plants were on sale at 30% off. And then they had a table, everything for a $1. Oh, I'm so naughty, I spent almost $60 on the dollar table. Got some fabulous bargain, plants I've been wanting to replace for years. Got Lysimacia (not clethroides but related), Veronia narveboracensis, Hibiscus m. white, Helianthus lemon queen, Aconitum sparks variety, Lobelia compliment deep red, Phlox maculatum miss lingard, Leucanthemum sonnenscheim (pale lemon yellow), Gaura l., Trollius golden queen, Aster praealtus, Linonium latifolium (one of my favs for bouquets), Helianthus lemon queen, and a few others. Some at 30% off are: Veronicastrum v. both pink and blue, (blue is new to me and have had the pink, just love the stuff, is a very tall veronica at 4-6ft), Campanula pyramidalis (chimney bells at 4-6ft., Aster laterifloris lady in black is 4ftx4ft, Coreopsis rosea Heavens Gate, a dark rosy pink, Boltonia asteroides (looks like aster flowers at4-6ftx4-6ft, Persicaria amplexicaulis firetail at 4ftx4ft, Eupatorium m. gateway at 5-7ft, Eupatorium aromaticum Joicus Varigated, has white flowers and is fragrant at 4-6 ft.. Oh I'm so naughty, lol, 'spose to be planting other things but......... Have been getting a few goodies lined up to send, still looking for some other things, just not sure what yet. You alll were talking onions, yummmmmmm, love onions and liver, usually is said other way but I fill the pan with as many onions as I can and cook till they are tender and sweet. Yummmmmm. Weather has been great here, hope it holds till I can get some things done ( January???? LOL). Chat with ya all later, Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I've been gathering for a little while, but now that I have my name.. I'll be going to a local flea market/craft fair this weekend to find something special :) I have to say that this is one of my favorite swaps and as Fruity said, it's so neat to see folks on here for the first time. My Fruitness, that couldn't have been easy to figure out who to have send to who (whom??) and not send within the same state.. my hat's off to you!

Here's a little visitor to my marigolds.. realized that he also likes green tomatoes lol

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

Kathy, you said you need to January to get done, what year was that? rofl

Chris, I don't have squirrels so I can say he is sooo cute, course if he was eating my green tomatoes I wouldn't think he was so cute!

I went shopping today, and if I don't get it boxed up soon, I will need a larger box! It should be going out in a day or two!

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

I am bummed out. Went to three of my fav stores looking for Bluebonnet seeds and because of the awful drought there are none. I know it is late/early but my co op manager said that he cannot find any to stock. Sigh. Now I need to put my thinking cap back on. I could send my buddy ashes, dust, and dead plants, all things we are now famous for!

Joy

I was looking for them here too! Nada!!!

OMG Kathy! I think your buddy needs to include a pack of rechargeable Energizer bunny batteries. You got a truck load of good deals, but Holy Cow you're gonna be busy!

Chris, you ought to save that photo and enter it in the end-of-year photo contest. What an awesome shot! You know I can't stand mice, rats or tree rats (or anything that slithers), but they're not a problem here since we have very few trees and the kitties take care of the mice. I thought it was too early to see a mouse, but found a "trophy" one of the cats left for me yesterday morning on the backdoor mat when I went to feed them. Eeks! Still freaked me out and got hubby out of bed to dispose of it. He just mumbled something about coffee being ready, rolled his eyes at me, but did the deed.

Well shoot. Got my Bud's goodies packed this evening and am meeting a couple of fellow DGer's tomorrow so it's doubtful I'll make the short 9-11 AM window our PO is open on Saturdays, and Monday is a Holiday. Mailing my box out for sure Tuesday.

Hold your nose if your don't like onions and cabbage...lol A neighbor brought a fresh head from her garden that I cooked this afternoon and we ate it for supper with buttermilk cornbread and pork chops. They weren't the same without your Napalm, Joy.

So how everybody doing gathering in your Neck of the Woods?

Ocean Springs, MS

Since I got in on this one late, I gotta start getting some shopping done! I am so excited to be back! I love you all and have missed you all so much!
Love, Julieanne

Julie, welcome back to the swaps! Glad your with us!

My box will go out Tuesday as well!

Didn't know Monday was a holiday! hummmm. I am gathering, mjine as usual will be toward the end of the deadline.... but will be on time.... fingers crossed...rofl.

Hard to believe it is october, we have been in the high 80's and today with high winds. Everthing is really dry (not quite like you all in TX and OK, but really dry for us). I am watering everything under the trees in hopes the trees don't suck every ounce of moisture from the plants. Have reblooming iris going like crazy in one of the planters I take care of, and the cherry tomatoes are going like gang busters. Still can't find the sprinkler.... good grief!

I'm thrilled you're back, girlie! We've all missed you like crazy and can't wait to add your name to our list.

Tuesday for me too. What a wonderful day spent with a couple of fellow DGer's. Time went way too fast like it always does when you're chatting face to face.

I know what you mean, happ, and am soaking up the sun while it's still shining. Spring and Fall are my fav times of the year when the windows are flung open and the A/C and heat are off. Not to mention how much money it saves on our electric bill and is more moolah for plants.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Going to a covered bridge festival today in Winterset, IA (birthplace of John Wayne) with a friend- this festival is supposed to have a huge flea market/craft fair.. so will find the final few things I need there, I hope :)

Waving hi to everyone!

Love craft fairs, tell us if it was a good one. We have a few good ones coming up in November, little late for the swap tho...!

Have lots I want to get done today, we will see if it happens...rofl.

Paw Paw, MI

I visited the farmer's market this weekend. I'm almost done with my box (not quite), so I'm hoping to get it into the mailbox by the middle to end of this week. *crosses fingers* But definitely by the following Monday, if not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images