Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: 2nd Annual Neck of the Woods SwapPage 2

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 120, Views: 804
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8831076

Just like last year, we’re sharing food items that are popular either where we live now or places where we have lived.

A few suggestions to get you thinking are spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, honey or molasses, cheeses or breads, jams or jellies -- just to name a few. You’re welcome to make home made goodies if you’re handy in the kitchen or go shopping for your Buddy.

Fall is also the perfect time to share Spring and Summer blooming bulbs, divisions of Perennials you’re already growing, freshly harvested seeds, or other gardening items that fit within your budget.

Our previous thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1216694/

Rules and Guidelines…

There aren’t any changes from last year. The value of our items should be $20, less the cost of Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. For privacy, tracking numbers should never be posted on our threads. Instead keep your receipt handy or D-mail me the number you use.

Please mail your packages no later than the week of October 17th.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2011 9:07 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8831078

Participants:

ClanCampbell / Chris: Love flower smelling candles, but not food smells;
no allergies, so anything goes; love all nuts (notice I'm refraining from the very enticing joke right here???)
do like to try regional spices and sauces (specially BBQ and spicy stuff)

Cris316 / Cris: Allergic to bananas & grapes. Love baked goods & chocolate. Have 6 cats in feral colony & 2 house cats. Most of yard in full sun, average soil.
We recently painted our home a medium shade of grey & looking for vibrant blue/purple flowers or reds to go into our new white window boxes. I'll give any flower a whirl if you don't have WB types. Don't like datura & not partial to yellow flowers (although both are growing wild in my yard).

Crit / Patti -- > RECEIVED FROM Mandy97
No allergies. I love homemade goodies. Have a large partly shaded flower bed I need tough plants that are drought resistant and thrive in lousy clay soil. Have dogs, donkeys and horses.

deejay9 / Susie -- > RECEIVED FROM lizrainey

froggiesgirl / Julie

FruitOfTheVine / Susan: No food allergies. My beds, except a small one that gets a bit of morning sun, are in Full Sun. Love dark chocolate, wines from other locals, and homemade goodies...anything goes from jams to spicy salsas.

happgarden / Joyce: No food allergies, love chocolate, love plants, have sun, shade, part-shade, have a small water garden, love wines, have 2 basset hounds, 1 black lab, 1 wire terrier, 1 black cat, and some koi. If someone wanted to make me a sign for the garden shed I would love it or anything homemade.

lizrainey / Liz -- > RECEIVED FROM rouxcrew
No cheese products please. I have no food restrictions or allergies; I likes homemade things, jams, jellies, chocolates, also wines, beers, seeds; charms for my bracelet.

Mandy97 / Mandy -- > RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine
I don't have any food allergies, and I am interested in homemade goodies (jams, baked goods), local stuff (wines, syrups), bulbs and seeds (zone 5 hardy, mostly sunny areas - a few partially shady).

ordairygirl / Tessa: Willing to grow anything you send me. Allergic to garlic powder. (can do fresh garlic, I know its weird).

rouxcrew / Joy: Allergic to Shrimp. No smelly candles please, love regional fare, spices, and hot stuff, flowering plants, outside things. Surprises.
No houseplants please, I don't have safe places.

Sundownr / Bev -- > RECEIVED FROM deejay9
I live in zone 6a, have a small shady yard with a tiny goldfish pond and a few miniature gardens. I grow herbs, fruits, and veggies in the few sunny spots I have, and starting a rain garden in our low area (in dapple shade). I don't have any healthy spaces for house plants. The house trim is cocoa brown and I try to plant shade-loving peach or maroon flowers when I can find them. I do not care for fragrant candles or soaps. Allergic to bananas, but tolerate the quantities in breads (thank goodness because I love them). I collect "old-timey" cookbooks and recipes, specifically Appalachian and New England based. I love dark chocolate, chutneys, all nuts, arts & crafts, and will certainly enjoy any homemade goodies sent.

taters55 / LK: No allergies, all plants need to be for full hot Texas sun.

Tina_A / Tina: I'm allergic to most flowery scents except rose and vegetable scents don't bother me either. I'm also allergic to bananas, avocadoes, and latex. I love baked goods and most everything else, especially dark chocolate, except fish.

warriorswisdomkathy / Kathy: No alergies, love chocolate, garden signs could be wonderful addition (English Cottage type garden) Love most any plant,very little shade (no beds there yet).. Love plants of ALL sizes, especially the tall ones, need more for the back of the border. Pink, purple, white, blue & red are favs, Zone 5, 6800 - 6900 feet above sea level.

Cville_Gardener / Carole -- Staying to chat!

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 5:26 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8831406

Thanks for the new room. Waiting on our names.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8831714

Buddies have been assigned. Everybody check your D-mail. Reveal your buddy upon receipt of your package and post a pic if you can.

The suggestions your buddy mentioned are just that, especially when it comes to plants, bulbs, and seeds which would be considered bonuses. Please keep in mind we are primarily exchanging regional fare. Anything else you'd like to include is gravy...lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8831745

I love gravy, good white gravy with pepper in it and for breakfast sausage, and with fried chicken, or chicken fried steak, biscuits, and mashed potatoes...yummmm...

OK I am starving.
Got my bud and I am soooo excited!
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

October 1, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8831977

Yay! :) I have my buddy and am ready to play (a.k.a. do a little shopping trip). :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8831999

Like the way you thing Mandy...rofl.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8832140

yaaaaay got my partner
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8832160

Many of us have been trading and swapping for a long time and making matches isn't always an easy task. I will say this, no one is going to receive from the person you send to, so we're having a true round robin. And there are no buddies exchanging from the same state. On top of that, I'm so tickled we have several new folks joining us!

You know in ancient times, and still true today, that 'men are hunters and women are gatherers'. Gotta admit I've been gathering for a couple of weeks and am just about finished, I think...lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8832350

Anxious to see what you all receive!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8834277

Paw Paw, MI ... what a great name!! :-)
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8834402

finally my box is ready! now i have to get a bigger box to ship hopefully it will be out this week
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8834633

Liz you're ready all ready? Good heavens I've been looking but haven't shopped yet.
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8834701

This swap really makes you think about what's available in your area that might not be available elsewhere. I've got a good list going. Some of our main agricultural products such as potatoes, onions and milk are either perishable or heavy...don't think anyone wants a box of stinky onions (but they are harvesting them in the field next to my house). Shopping on Wednesday, crafting a little project tomorrow and collecting seeds today. Hope you all are having as much fun as I am putting this together.
Tessa
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8834725

chris yes, but my goodies out grew my box so i have to find a bigger box lol
guess this swap was easy for me living so close to san francisco,
hope my swap buddie is surprised.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8834784

Look at the early birds, and we still have two weeks left to mail.

What kind of onions are they harvesting, Tessa? Walla Wallas are a close second fav, but Vidalias from Georgia are sweeter and hard to beat. They start showing up in our grocery stores about May and are kaput by August. I stocked up, stored them in panty hose with a knot tied between each one and hung them up. When I need one, all I do is snip one off. Hope they last til Christmas like they did last year.

My local shopping is finished. Need to go into town for one more goody VA is famous for :)

ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8834959

They have yellow Spanish gold mostly in this area (standard yellow onion at the grocery store) but also red and white onions. The Walla Walla's are grown about 3 hours from here in Washington. I love the pantyhose idea, I haven't found a way to store them yet so they won't rot and this would work great. They are really strong just out of the field, make you really cry until they mellow with age =) I live on a dairy and there are spearmint fields close by. Aroma can get strange and overwhelming with mixing all those. A neighbor grows asparagus too. Really appreciate the diversity. Wish I was on the pretty moist side of Oregon some times...we are high desert here with only 12" of rain a year. No berries, salmon and shady plants will be in my box =) Wish I could send dairy products safely in the mail, nothing like fresh whole milk!

Tessa
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8835077

omg fresh asparagus and onions yummmm
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8836056

I'm with you Liz. Got a great recipe for oven roasted asparagus, onions and tomatoes :)
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

October 4, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8836189

Mmm... that does sound tasty.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8836204

Ya'll try the pantyhose deal to store onions. They look really funny hanging way down in my laundry room but it's cool and dark in there and the onions keep really well.

From that trio of veggies, I've only grown Spring onions and various types of tomatoes. Love asparagus but it isn't one of hubby's favorite veggies at all, neither is okra. He says both are slimy...lol Give me a can of asparagus and I'll slurp 'em down one at a time. Fresh ones are delicious too roasted with bits of garlic. And I won't even tell you how many pots of steamy hot okra with stewed tomatoes, corn and black beans I've eaten in my lifetime with buttered cornbread on the side.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8836765

Only vegtable my DH HATES is asparagus, he actually asked me not to even bring it in the house when we first got married. So I only eat it out. I like it but because it is different back can't say it is my fav veggie. Fruity gotta agree with your DH on okra...really don't like it. LOL

I still have tomatos coming on the plants, tons of cherry tomatoes.

Excited to get started on this swap, it is so much fun.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8836775

OK Susan, now I'm hungry!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8836779

now that i got my bigger box,
well lets see how careful the post office is on nothing breaking :O
i got styrofoam blocks and bubble wrap, my swap buddy will die laughing at my packing job lol

cris thinking about that asparagus again i worked with a guy many years ago who knew of a field of wild asparagus omg it was so good i begged and pleaded with him on the location but he wouldnt budge he would only tell me it was up north what a party pooper lol
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8837181

Asparagus used to grow on the ditch banks where I grew up (eventually all the spraying has eliminated it). I remember it being a traffic hazard because everyone was driving super slow scanning the ditch banks for asparagus =) The farm up the road is only about 10 acres. This time of year it looks like they have let the farm go, because asparagus looks a lot like big dried weeds when its mature. I hate it boiled and don't like the big ones. But tender little ones roasted in the oven with a little olive oil and parmesan are to die for.

I've got my stuff bought, now just a little crafty project and to find a big enough box.

Tessa

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8837465

Hi all, sorry have been busy planting. I'm naughty... Went to a nursery in Denver ('bout an hour away), and...Oh I'm so naughty. Lol. They had there fall sale on, plants were on sale at 30% off. And then they had a table, everything for a $1. Oh, I'm so naughty, I spent almost $60 on the dollar table. Got some fabulous bargain, plants I've been wanting to replace for years. Got Lysimacia (not clethroides but related), Veronia narveboracensis, Hibiscus m. white, Helianthus lemon queen, Aconitum sparks variety, Lobelia compliment deep red, Phlox maculatum miss lingard, Leucanthemum sonnenscheim (pale lemon yellow), Gaura l., Trollius golden queen, Aster praealtus, Linonium latifolium (one of my favs for bouquets), Helianthus lemon queen, and a few others. Some at 30% off are: Veronicastrum v. both pink and blue, (blue is new to me and have had the pink, just love the stuff, is a very tall veronica at 4-6ft), Campanula pyramidalis (chimney bells at 4-6ft., Aster laterifloris lady in black is 4ftx4ft, Coreopsis rosea Heavens Gate, a dark rosy pink, Boltonia asteroides (looks like aster flowers at4-6ftx4-6ft, Persicaria amplexicaulis firetail at 4ftx4ft, Eupatorium m. gateway at 5-7ft, Eupatorium aromaticum Joicus Varigated, has white flowers and is fragrant at 4-6 ft.. Oh I'm so naughty, lol, 'spose to be planting other things but... Have been getting a few goodies lined up to send, still looking for some other things, just not sure what yet. You alll were talking onions, yummmmmmm, love onions and liver, usually is said other way but I fill the pan with as many onions as I can and cook till they are tender and sweet. Yummmmmm. Weather has been great here, hope it holds till I can get some things done ( January???? LOL). Chat with ya all later, Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8837490

I've been gathering for a little while, but now that I have my name.. I'll be going to a local flea market/craft fair this weekend to find something special :) I have to say that this is one of my favorite swaps and as Fruity said, it's so neat to see folks on here for the first time. My Fruitness, that couldn't have been easy to figure out who to have send to who (whom??) and not send within the same state.. my hat's off to you!

Here's a little visitor to my marigolds.. realized that he also likes green tomatoes lol

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8838497

Kathy, you said you need to January to get done, what year was that? rofl

Chris, I don't have squirrels so I can say he is sooo cute, course if he was eating my green tomatoes I wouldn't think he was so cute!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8838554

I went shopping today, and if I don't get it boxed up soon, I will need a larger box! It should be going out in a day or two!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8838722

I am bummed out. Went to three of my fav stores looking for Bluebonnet seeds and because of the awful drought there are none. I know it is late/early but my co op manager said that he cannot find any to stock. Sigh. Now I need to put my thinking cap back on. I could send my buddy ashes, dust, and dead plants, all things we are now famous for!

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8838733

I was looking for them here too! Nada!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8838788

OMG Kathy! I think your buddy needs to include a pack of rechargeable Energizer bunny batteries. You got a truck load of good deals, but Holy Cow you're gonna be busy!

Chris, you ought to save that photo and enter it in the end-of-year photo contest. What an awesome shot! You know I can't stand mice, rats or tree rats (or anything that slithers), but they're not a problem here since we have very few trees and the kitties take care of the mice. I thought it was too early to see a mouse, but found a "trophy" one of the cats left for me yesterday morning on the backdoor mat when I went to feed them. Eeks! Still freaked me out and got hubby out of bed to dispose of it. He just mumbled something about coffee being ready, rolled his eyes at me, but did the deed.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8840112

Well shoot. Got my Bud's goodies packed this evening and am meeting a couple of fellow DGer's tomorrow so it's doubtful I'll make the short 9-11 AM window our PO is open on Saturdays, and Monday is a Holiday. Mailing my box out for sure Tuesday.

Hold your nose if your don't like onions and cabbage...lol A neighbor brought a fresh head from her garden that I cooked this afternoon and we ate it for supper with buttermilk cornbread and pork chops. They weren't the same without your Napalm, Joy.

So how everybody doing gathering in your Neck of the Woods?

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 8, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8840827

Since I got in on this one late, I gotta start getting some shopping done! I am so excited to be back! I love you all and have missed you all so much!
Love, Julieanne

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8840882

Julie, welcome back to the swaps! Glad your with us!

My box will go out Tuesday as well!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8840915

Didn't know Monday was a holiday! hummmm. I am gathering, mjine as usual will be toward the end of the deadline... but will be on time... fingers crossed...rofl.

Hard to believe it is october, we have been in the high 80's and today with high winds. Everthing is really dry (not quite like you all in TX and OK, but really dry for us). I am watering everything under the trees in hopes the trees don't suck every ounce of moisture from the plants. Have reblooming iris going like crazy in one of the planters I take care of, and the cherry tomatoes are going like gang busters. Still can't find the sprinkler... good grief!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8841356

I'm thrilled you're back, girlie! We've all missed you like crazy and can't wait to add your name to our list.

Tuesday for me too. What a wonderful day spent with a couple of fellow DGer's. Time went way too fast like it always does when you're chatting face to face.

I know what you mean, happ, and am soaking up the sun while it's still shining. Spring and Fall are my fav times of the year when the windows are flung open and the A/C and heat are off. Not to mention how much money it saves on our electric bill and is more moolah for plants.

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8841707

Going to a covered bridge festival today in Winterset, IA (birthplace of John Wayne) with a friend- this festival is supposed to have a huge flea market/craft fair.. so will find the final few things I need there, I hope :)

Waving hi to everyone!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8841728

Love craft fairs, tell us if it was a good one. We have a few good ones coming up in November, little late for the swap tho...!

Have lots I want to get done today, we will see if it happens...rofl.

Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

October 9, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8842371

I visited the farmer's market this weekend. I'm almost done with my box (not quite), so I'm hoping to get it into the mailbox by the middle to end of this week. *crosses fingers* But definitely by the following Monday, if not.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8842505

Aren't local Farmer's Markets wonderful places to visit? Yesterday I stopped by ours and only bought fresh brown eggs, probably not a good idea to mail them...lol One vendor had a nice selection of homemade jams and jellies, and baskets full of different varieties of apples were front and center among other fruits and veggies. One of my neighbors had just given us apples from her trees so I passed and will use hers to make baked apples with butter and cinnamon. Love eating them for breakfast or dessert. It's not unusual to see bluegrass bands performing, but they either weren't there or had already left.

Forgot to ask: How was the Craft Fair, Chris? We have a really good one coming up next week-end my SIL and I are planning to attend on Saturday.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2011 7:28 PM

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 11, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8844670

I'm hitting our local Saturday market this weekend. I'm behind but I have a couple of things for my buddy! If anyone is interested in a Thanksgiving swap, please follow the link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224241/

love to all, julie
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8845705

Box is shipped! Got a little heavy, as I may have over shopped =)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8845762

Mine went out Priority Mail today too. Dear Buddy, I forgot to include a note and mailed it separately. I'm not usually a proponent of using Flat Rate boxes since a lot of times I can use a different size more economically, but this time a Large Flat Rate box really came in handy mailing 15# of goodies. Lots of them are in jars and I wrapped them in bubble wrap. Just hope your goodies don't arrive in a total mess.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8845799

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one sending a heavy box of goodies to my buddy. Since I'm new to this kind of swap, I was afraid of not sending enough and over-compensated just a bit, lol! I hope to be finished and mail my buddy's box out by Thursday.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8846809

I'm sure your buddy will be pleased, Bev. It's the waiting and wondering and hoping that the jarred items arrive safely that's killing me.

If the rest of you aren't able to mail your packages by next Friday or Saturday, October 21st or 22nd, please D-mail me so I can let your buddy know you're running a tad late.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 13, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8848018

I hope to get all of mine together this weekend after my visit to the saturday market. love to all, julie

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8848073

Bad day here so I never made it to the post office and it looks like it will be Tuesday before I can, ...hopefully.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8848442

ahhhh issues packing hopefully it can go out today
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8848998

Liz, are you sure you didn't eat yours? LOL!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8849288

Well I didn't win the heaviest award but not for trying. My package went out today at 12.2 pounds. I couldn't fit my candied jalapenos or my pineapple habanero jam in. Only got one beer in, had to drink the others! Sorry buddy but there is a bunch of other goodies in that there box.

OOOOOoooooo, I did finally get some bluebonnet seeds, I am going to try and grow the new variety that are wine colored. Perfect for a blonde, wine colored bluebonnets.

Joy

Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

October 14, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8849307

*jumps up and down excitedly* My box arrived today!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :)
A picture is a necessity, so that is below. Is this when the buddy is revealed?

Thank you Susan (Fruit of the Vine)!

My buddy's box will go out Monday, and hopefully they will be as excited as I am.

Thumbnail by Mandy97

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8849372

lol i should of eaten it, gawd i hope it makes it there safe
went out today.

oh wow look at that box of goodies looks so yummy!
those pickles were suppose to come to california lol

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 4:28 AM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8849383

Mine is almost ready to go out, should be next week. Fingers crossed! Fruit... haven't forgotten about you, again fingers crossed for next week. Lol. Maybe I should have said I would like an Elf in my package, or how about three wishes (all granted of course). 'Sitting the grandkids next week so I (maybe) will get to sit down and relax. Later all, Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8849387

Oh ya meant to ask if anyone else entered the Dave's contest?

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8849392

Mandy what a fantastic swap box of goodies!! Susan where did you find those peanuts? I've looked everywhere and could only find ones from NC (I shopped too close to the border I guess).
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2011
11:32 PM

Post #8849476

Oh that box looks delicious! Chocked full of great things. That must of weighed alot also. Boy you guys are braves mailing glass...I don't know that is kind of scary to me.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8849573

Waving HI! The craft fair was alot of fun and did find an item for my buddy's garden..hope she likes it- I fell in love with it when I saw it :) Handmade by a lady here in Iowa, so it fits our theme. Now I need to gather the things I have all over the apartment and decide if it's 'enough' to send :) Mine isn't all food..and that's all I'm saying about it. :-) 3 things I've had almost a year now, just waiting for this swap (non food!! lol)

Better go get busy.. going to do some transplanting today

Hey, Fruity.. the big hosta that I received from you at the meeting this summer- it bloomed for me inside the apt! :) I didn't get a pic before they all died out though, darn it! Should I cut off the tall spike now that it's done blooming??

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8849636

Look at all the goodies! I am surprised too that it made it through the postal football game unbroken!
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

October 15, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8849736

taters55 wrote:Look at all the goodies! I am surprised too that it made it through the postal football game unbroken!

It was very well packaged with lots of bubble wrap. :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8849942

Went shopping in our little hometown and I always find some good stuff there for this swap. My package will go out next week on time, but more toward the middle of the week...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8850267

Mandy, I'm so glad none of the jarred items were cracked...or worse. We lived in WV for several years, hence the Teay's Valley Cornbread Mix. It's especially delicious with whole kernel corn mixed in and jalapeno or bell peppers if you like them. Our home is fairly close to the North Carolina border, love the Outer Banks Beaches and we almost bought a house there a few years ago, so a few of your goodies came from NC.

Bev, the peanuts were bulk at the grocery store and don't know if they were grown in VA or NC.

No hurry, Kathy, I'm behind the 8 ball too.

Your Hosta bloomed inside, Chris? Wow! I guess anything is possible and plants bloom on their own schedule. My plants like the one I gave you are still blooming in the garden but are about spent. I don't have a clue but guess you could cut back the spent scape and treat the plant like a houseplant. Maybe somebody else can give you tips. Frost takes care of mine but doubt it gets that cold in your apartment...lol...or at least I hope it doesn't. We once had a camper that would have ice crystals inside on the windows in the Winter and was the closest I've ever come to freezing.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8850797

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224241/#top

Ladies, there is a Thanksgiving swap going on. It closes next week. Take a look please?
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8852967

yaaaay i got my box jumping up and down

thank you rouxcrew the beer trickled out:( but everything else arrived safe
but i cant read what was written on rice ink faded please tell me again,
there is this awesome cook book on chuck wagon recipes omg i like to cook like this any how and i cant wait to try some of thease! and some other recipes so cool! and this bar of soap bay rum smells good,
now did you grow those beans? now we call those fava beans is that what you call them?

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 3:05 PM

Thumbnail by lizrainey

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8852974

ok and here is a prickly pear cactus , the beer , omg chipolte salsa, wine and local honey
and the rice and a praline this will drive me nuts not being able to break in to this stash till dh gets home..

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 1:49 PM

Thumbnail by lizrainey

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8852980

and this awsome mug and bluebonnets and texas brittle gawd 6.00 will never get here! lol and can you see the cutest cowboy boot refrigerator magnet and the post card thank you again!

Thumbnail by lizrainey

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8853151

Very nice assortment you got there, Liz.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8853301

Oh I am so sorry Liz! I should have packed it better. Were the recipes legible? Do I need to replace the cookbook? I really coveted that cookbook, it had me at the very first recipe, Sourdough Biscuits!
The beer is made not far from me and is/was awesome. The rice was grown by a longtime friend who has farmed rice and soybeans around here for 50 years. Treat is like any long grain rice. 2 cups water to 1 cup rice, 20 minutes to simmer, you know the drill.
The beans are speckled butter beans, a southern staple. Yes I grew them, fortunately I was able to keep them watered to get a nice crop. I imagine they are kin to Limas or Northern beans. We cook them all day with hamhocks and eat them with cornbread cooked in a castiron skillet and bacon grease.
Hope you have eaten that praline by now, they are very decadent, sold at our local farmers market that we go to along with the salsa.
Oh, the favorite two recipes are Armadillo Eggs, and Texas Caviar. Both are addictive and great for company (to keep you from eating all of them).

Joy

Woo Hoo! Glad you liked it.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8853731

just a Quick note to say my box went out yesterday sorry for waiting till the last min. Hope my Buddy will enjoy.
susie
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8853787

oh no joy, everything is good, i got the blow dryer out and dried the cook book its fine, i love that kind of cooking i cook with alot of those ingredients, and chipotle yummmmm
my mom cringes at bacon grease lol i cant wait to try more recipes

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 18, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8854046

Beautiful goodies for mandy and Liz. You girls hit the jackpot. Since I joined late, I'm still gathering things for my buddy! You guys gave me some great ideas! I should have my box ready to mail Thursday afternoon.
Can't wait to see all the goodies everyone else gets! Love, Julieanne

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8854217

Liz, that box of goodies made me so hungry and those were some pretty beans!

I got my buddy's box shipped out around lunchtime today and it should arrive by Thursday heading west! I have fingers and toes crossed that the jarred items stay intact!! I didn't get to put everything I wanted in the box (after the bubble wrapping), but they were just trinkets anyway.

This has been a really cool swap!
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

October 18, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8854590

My buddy's box went in the mail yesterday... I am also hoping that everything arrives intact! The post office says it should arrive Thursday. :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8854640

My Buddy should have her's weds UPS hope it arrives safely.

susie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8854658

Thanks, gals, for letting me know your boxes are in the wind.

Joy, I hadn't thought about speckled butter beans since I was a kid. My Dad used to grow them. What a treat, Liz.

Saturday at the Farmer's Market, I bought a # each of fresh green and white limas. Fried a bit of an end piece of pork jowl bacon Sunday and cooked 1/2 the green ones seasoned with the fat...or should I say rendering...lol They were delish!

Anybody ever tried October beans? I'd never heard of them til I moved to VA.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8854684

Never heard of October beans?
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8854709

im going to get to those beans this weekend lol

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8854792

We grew up in WV and all brown beans (October, pinto, cranberry, . . .) taste about the same to us by the time we add some pork, a little onion, and lots black pepper. A bit of pickled sweet banana pepper, or pepperoncini, adds a really nice flavor too! Serving cornbread is a MUST (with a ton of butter), and some chow chow or chutney on the side makes the beans more special.

Alright Susan, now I have to put a pot of beans on to soak, I've made myself hungry for them, lol.

Good night folks!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8854808

I have been told they are members of the cranberry bean family but in researching they look speckled, although small. If you get some from your farmers market Fruity, save me a few. The pods remind me of Dragon Beans, all speckled and blotchy. I had been nursing two plants that are Hyacinth Beans, the only two to survive the drought. I am now seeing blooms and they are an absolutely gorgeous bean plant. Hope I can collect seeds for next year before the cold gets them. I will have to take a picture tomorrow.

Joy
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8855222

That Hyacinth bean is a beautiful vine for sure and from what I hear do good in heat, but Joy you are saying differently...hummm. I would like to plant them in one of the city planters, but when they produce beans I am afraid someone would try to eat one.

Fruit, my box won't go out until Saturday, I am waiting on something and it is suppose to be here Thursday...fingers crossed. Last minute thought but I think a good one if it works out. If not I will surely enjoy it when it finally arrives...rofl. Sorry. ;)

I must be a northern girl because lima beans, and those kinds, are just not my cuppa tea. I like navy beans and pinto beans refried, but that is about it. Love yellow cornbread warm with a ton of butter on it tho...yum, along with ham hocks cooked with navy beans...yes!
It is 8am and I am thinking about dinner...

Here is my little bass who is NOT suppose to be on the couch. I had been out in the garden room most of the night and he looks like he had been sacked out for quite some time. He has gotten so grey...must take after his Mom, which needs to go get hers removed...LOL

Thumbnail by happgarden

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 19, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8856008

Know what you mean, Happ! Gotta get that gray outta my hair, too!

here in my neck of the woods, we had beans 1 - 2 times a week. When I got older, my mom would make me cook them every Saturday while she was at work. Of course, being a teenager, I was "busy" doing other things and most of the time they were either undercooked or slightly burned! Everyone still makes a big joke about it now- 30 years later! My poor dad, he never complained. He just added a lot of salt to them and ate them, bless his heart!

I have everything for my buddy. Gonna pack the box and mail it tomorrow. Yay!

love to all, julie

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8856126

happ, love the couch critter, lol. He looks so comfy!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8856148

I received my swap package from Susie (deejay9) today, and boy what a big box of goodies!!! Woohoo, girl you were directly on target with everything!! First is the Swinging Wonder, we call them Newton's Cradles. I'm a physics freak, really love these, and started collecting different versions of them years ago but didn't get very far. This big wooden fella is going on the display shelf in my office along side the two little bitty ones I have. It's beautifully handmade by a close friend of Susie's.

Thumbnail by Sundownr

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8856156

Next are some edibles produced locally in MI: clover honey, cherry salsa, and homemade Elf bars (OMG, I ate half the container all by myself). These goodies won't last long around here, LOL.

Thumbnail by Sundownr

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8856168

Now for the helpful goodies: a crocheted scrubbie made by Susie's SIL (I didn't know you could make those), Soft Socks (that I dearly love) sold locally, and the hand painted "Michigan Moon Rock" (top right) made in her town that has gotten laughter from all of us this evening!! I have to smile every time I look at it, lol!

Thumbnail by Sundownr

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8856173

Bare with me, just a couple more pics. Susie sent me Mini Chocolate Cannas!!!! """""jumping & bouncing for joy""""" I love mini plants and these are gonna be placed in an indoor miniature i just started!!!

Thumbnail by Sundownr

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8856179

If I had my way, I'd serve some kind of beans everyday. Hubby says please don't. Beans, beans, the wonderful Fruit...lol
Wish I had a nickel for every time I've "looked" beans before soaking overnight and still do like my Mom used to the next morning and skim the floaters. Not sure why though? Processing must have gotten much better over the years since I rarely find little rocks.

Joy, I checked our podunk store today and all they had were pintos. Will check the Farmer's Market next time I go. I almost picked up a pack of October beans last Saturday. Gosh dang it!

Love your bassie, happ. What a life :)

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8856181

I forgot to mention the "Coffee Cake Spice" potpouri in the first pic, also made in her hometown. It is heavenly and already put to use in it's new home!

Susie I can't thank you enough or express what each item means to me. If i didn't know better I'd think you were psychic, lol!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
--
Bev
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8856183

Wowzer, Susie did a great job as usual. Those scrubbers are the greatest thing, you can use them on all kinds of stuff without scratching the surface of the pans, really really nice. Oh those goodies look really really great. Mini cannas? Gonna have to look those up, very interesting...

Edited to say, I had forgot about those rocks...rofl, I always was told by Mom that the floaters were bad beans, don't really know we just threw them away... ;)

Found this and had to post it:
According to this you remove the "floaters" because they're gassy.
posted by July 26, 2009 [1 favorite]

Does that mean you could collect all the floating ones and save them for a weapons-grade serving? Might be useful for wind (I changed that word as not to offend anyone) contests. Or revenge.
posted July 26, 2009

I discard those because it seems they are extra resistant to absorbing water (or else they wouldn't still be floating after all that soaking), which suggests that they will not cook at the same rate as the others, remaining hard even when the others are done.
posted July 26, 2009 [1 favorite]

Yeah, you throw them out because they've failed to de-gassify. Redfoxtail's explanation is actually the same point from a different direction.

I also endorse an televised experiment to confirm this per MsMolly's idea, mainly because I really want to see Adam and Jamie do it, so evhan, please forward this myth to asavage post-haste.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2011 5:24 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8856189

Oh Bev, I type too slow, didn't mean to butt in. Love your goodies. You always do a fabulous job, Susie.

What on Earth is a Michigan Moon Rock?

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8856193

Fruity, look closely at the painted rock...rofl
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8856202

Got it. LOL!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8856206

Little slow but I knew you would figure it out...rofl

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8856338

Wow, you got a nice box from Susie! She always packs a wonderful box!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8856376

Great haul Bev! Susie always does good.

Are Elf Bars the same as Magic Cookie Bars? Sweetened condensed milk poured over top? Or are they something with peanut butter?

Joy

Oh and the reason the Hyacinth Beans didn't do well was most likely the drought and not enough viable soil rather than the heat. I dumped a bunch of old pots out near my trellis and stuck a bunch in. But with the drought the soil underneath is like concrete causing water to run off rather than sink in. Live and learn.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8856419

I had my Hyacinth Bean vines planted in full sun in Oklahoma..they did great as long as I kept them watered. :) They're a beautiful vine! You've get a ton of seed from the pods..3 beans to a pod usually- my first year with them, I harvested around 300 seeds and gave up on the rest LOL!

My box will go out tomorrow..just printed the post office shipping label. Hope they don't play football with the box!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8856483

Bev Glad you like I Have many Crafty Friends & Family So Just thought as Long as they were made right here In Our LOCATION It would be better then from a store :) Sure hope you took no Offence to the MOONROCK :) This gal really paints great rocks but when i went over there she was sold out of the good stuff & only had smaller rocks & when i saw it I just had to share the HUMOR & Call it MICHIGAN MOONROCK :)

as for the swing wonder My friend Builds them in her garage as a Business So I just Owe her some plants :) well it is wet & Cold up here tonight & I DOn't have a furnace in here yet so I'm going to get into my bed with an electic Blanket :)
so good night all .

susie
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8856508

wow great boxes i think mine will arrive tomorrow its in its state now

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8856755

Susie, I was not offended at all by the Michigan Moon Rock! I thought it was clever and well done. ALL the handmade items you sent were really well made! I sent my buddy locally grown and homemade items too, and hope she enjoys them as much as I have enjoyed my box from you! Thanks again and stay warm up there (pretty chilly here too)!!
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8856765

My box will be going out later than I thought. It seems my DH got into a bag of goodies
I bought at the local Amish market and they were bad ! Thank heavens he ate them
instead of me sending yukky stuff to my swap partner - I would have been mortified.

Everything happens for a reason so now I have to put my thinking cap back on to fill
the box. My apologies for the wait.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8856773

deejay, you are tough! I couldn't survive down here without my furnance even now, as is I have to wait until it comes on in the morning or I won't get out of bed...LOL Hate getting out of a nice warm bed into the cold. I have tried to figure out if I hate getting up and coming to work in good weather worse than getting up and coming to work in bad weather...I figured out it must have something to do with work...rofl.

I love presents made by people here, I realize 9 times out of 10 they have to use imported products but at least it was made here.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8856883

GM All just came in the house to get warm & stay with daddy while jim had to run some errands . it is rainy & cold yes but I do have one of those inferred heaters ??? soon to get a prophane BIG BUDDY Heaters when i get my check.
& I have lots of BLANKETS Also :)))) .

Love my little palace , there I can get my Peace of mind tending to the plants , & trying to find a spot for all my HOUSE hOLD GOODS
Collected Over the YEARS Guess I will have to Downsize Allot More so i can make room for everything.

I have my laptop up & running again its missing some keys thanks to DJ my grey but it is working thanks to a great guy @ radio Shack
who cost me Money every time I go in there he felt so bad he fixed this for free :) Hehe

Well I promised Daddy some cookies so i better get off here . will try to get back later today .
susie

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8856923

its there! being delivered yaaaay hope nothings broken

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8857196

HEY ALL SEE THE SMILE FROM EAR TO EAR :) ????? FOR YOU ALL IS CALF STILL THE GOLD RUSH STATE ????
MY MAIL MAN SAID TO ME HE THOUGHT I HIT THE MOTHER LOAD WHEN HE HANDED ME MY BOX FROM LIZ & I HAVE TO AGREE LIZ MY FRIEND , I HAVE TO HURRY & PUT ALL THESE GOODIES BACK INTO THE HUGE BOX & GET THEM OUT TO MY PLACE BEFORE MY BROTHER GETS BACK HERE I HAVE SHARED WITH DADDY FOR HE DOSE NOT EAT MUCH .
I HAVE TAKEN THE PICTURES BUT CANNOT LOAD THEM TO THIS LAPTOP SO I HAVE TO WAIT TILL I CAN GET BACK OUT TO MY OTHER COMPUTER . BUT GOING TO MAKE THE OTHERS DREWL JUST A BIT BY SAYING .

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM WONDERFUL CHOCOLATE 'S & Now going to go dig through all the gold mine & get my list so I don't forget anything. can tell you this everything is all in tact :) for now anyway :) MMMMMMM Melt in the mouth good .
back later with chocolate smile :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8857205

Oh Susie, please don't make us wait for pictures! I know Liz packs a good box too!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8857255

OK OK NOW I'M BACK TO MY COMPUTER PICTURES ARE LOADED NOW JUST HAVE TO HOPE THEY ALL TURNED OUT LET ME GO CHECK SEE :)

THESE ARE A FEW OF THE SMALLER GOLD MINE GOODIES
:
CALF POPPIE SEEDS & A PACK OF ALL THE NATIVE CALF FLOWER SEEDS LOVE THESE & WILL BE PLANTED

I NOW HAVE A LETTER OPENER ALSO FROM SANFRANCISCO SO NOW MY MAIL WON'T LOOK AS IF GODZILLA OPENED THEM :)

2 SAN FRANCISCO KEY CHAINS ONE OF THE TROLLY CAR & ONE OF GARDENS GOING TO PUT UP A KEY CHAIN BOARD SO I CAN HANG KEY CHAINS FROM EVERYONE I SWAP WITH . I HAVE ONE FROM LK ALSO :)

NEXT THERE IS 4 MINI FRIG MAGNETS OF ALL THE GREAT SITES IN SAN FRANCISCO WOULD LOVE TO VISIT ONE DAY BEFORE I GET TO OLD :)

OFF TO THE NEXT GOLD MINE

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8857257

THEN SO I CAN FIND MY WAY AROUND THROUGH OUT THIS GREAT PLACE I HAVE 4 WONDERFUL AAA MAPS ONE MAP LEADS ME TO A WINEYARD & wILL TELL YOU THE STORY BEHIND THAT SOON :) hehe

BUT SHE ALSO SENT THE STORY OF ALCATRAZ I THINK AS A WARNING NOT TO DRINK & DRIVE AFTER I LEAVE THE WINEYARD :)
OOPS THE PICTURE & INFO OF ALCATRAZ DIDN'T GET PUT INTO THIS SORRY .

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8857262

SOMEONE MUST HAVE TOLD LIZ I DO LIKE TO BAKE IN THE WINTER MONTHS OR COLD DAYS FOR I NOW HAVE 2 PKS OF " OLDFASHION SAN FRANCISCO STYLE SOURDOUGH STARTER MIX " FROM THE GOLDRUSH DAYS :)

DON'T GO AWAY I HAVE A COUPLE MORE GOLD MINES TO SHARE

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8857268

HERE IS WHAT I FOUND IN THE 1ST GOLD MINE I VISITED & I PLAN TO SHARE WITH THE GIRLS WHEN THEY ALL GET HERE THIS NEXT WEEK FOR MY HOUSE WARMING PARTY :) DO YOU THINK I CAN GET 6 GLASSES OUT OF THIS BOTTLE :)) SURE I CAN WATCH ME :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8857280

TO GO ALONG WITH THE WINE I WILL BE SERVING S F CLAM CHOWDER , CHIPS WITH SF STYLE SALSA, ON THE SIDE THERE WILL BE SF GIANTS ROASTED PEANUTS & GHIRARDELL CHOCOLATES MINUS 2 THAT DADDY & I HAD TO TRY OUT :) MMMMMMM

ALSO A CAN OF DARK UNSWEETENED BAKING CHOCOLATE THAT WILL BE USED FOR MY XMAS CANDIES :0

THEN OF CORSE THE S F CRAB HOW GREAT SINCE MY ZODIAC SIGN IS THE CRAB :)))) & I LOVE HIM HE IS HANGING ON THE WALL ALREADY :)

LIZ THAT BOX WAS JUST WONDERFUL JUST AS THE MIND & HANDS THAT PACKED IT THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GOLDEN CITY GOODIES , LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ALL . & WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN i POP THE TOP :)))

WELL BROTHER JIM IS MAKING WAFFLES FOR SUPER TONIGHT & I HAVE TO GO TEND TO DADDY FOR A BIT
BUT AGAIN MANY MANY THANKS FOR ALL MY NEW TREASURES .
SUSIE

Thumbnail by deejay9

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8857331

Susie, have you been drinking today? Your pictures are upside down! LOL!

Love all that you got from Liz. She is one heck of a box packer!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8857348

OH MY Gues I Can't hide that fact from you LK :) HEHE Please don't tell the rest of the members hehe so sorry I Was in such a hurry to post all my goodies I'm On Coffee right now my brother fixed waffles for Supper they were super did i say or spell them right or wrong :) LOL Burrrr it is cold out here tonight need to get my heater on back soon .
susie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8857440

You hit the Mother Lode, Susie. Thanks for sending such a wonderful box of goodies, Liz, and taking me down memory lane.

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8857636

lol Susie you can make crab cioppino with that sauce too, i knew if i sent you a live one the mail man would of not delivered lol glad its all there safe.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 20, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8857651

Susie and Bev, I'm jealous! Just kidding! I love all the goodies you got.

Elfie, gotta have some of those magic cookies! Can I send you postage for some? lol

I gotta go pack for my trip tomorrow. Going to a Fall Garden Fest in jackson, MS for 2 days. Can't wait! Lots of trial gardens, plants to buy, a plant swap, a rain barrell workshop, and so much more. The one thing I am so excited about is getting first pick of the new Mississippi Medallion plants. They are plants hybridized in MS and they will let us buy them before they are released to the retailers! Yay!

love you all, julie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8857658

Have a wonderful time, Julie! When you get back, tell us about the wonderful plants you get. Take pics too if you can.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8858036

I Love my GOODIES Liz Have you a recipe for the crab cioppino or maybe i can find it on the internet :) well My Brother just went to get the INSULATION For my cieling so maybe the heat will stay in better here :) he will be back soon so got to get off here ya all have a great day
susie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8858290

OH MY ... I don't know HOW I forgot about this trade, but I DID until I received a WONDERFUL box from Mandy. It is soooo wonderful with home made treats, chocolate and wine (how can you go wrong with that combination????) I have to run to town. I remember several things that came back to mind that I was going to send after I got JOLTED back to reality! PLEASE accept my humble APOLOGY to my buddy. I will have your box in the mail by the first of the week. ~hanging head in shame!~ I will make it up to you, I promise!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8858446

What did you get????
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8858530

Glad it was a good kind of jolt back to reality...lol Show us a pic if you can.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8858538

Hey, ya'll, I just realized this thread is getting long. Follow the crumbs...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1226675/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America