Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Clean and Clutter-free: Good day to do more decluttering

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 41, Views: 288
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8831542

It is windy and cool out today, not weather I want to work outside in. Went outside early in my bathrobe and started to clear off the workbench in garage and moved the car out so I could clean up the potting mix that had fallen on the floor when I was filling some containers to share some plants yesterday with a new gardening friend I met through DG. Started dragging out our Fall/Winter clothes and putting away summer clothes a few days ago, so will continue that today. Must go to library to take books back and pick up another that I reserved. Potted up the spider plant Gitagal gave me at plant swap in Sept. and will hang it up in the office where more natural light is available. Will spend an hour weeding through and tossing some paper clutter. What's on your agenda today? Still browsing on organizing blogs as well as Home Decorating blogs.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8836663

You'd been proud of me last night. After DWTS, I started going through two folders that had been stuffed full of paper clutter marked Wintersowing and Flower ideas. I even amazed myself how much I discarded. Even found some genealogy research papers that my brother had asked me to look up for him so I'll have to mail that to him today. Tonight I will be back at the weeding out process. There is even more in several storage boxes in the room stacked up. Slowly but surely I will get it all condensed and begin filing in the garden journals what I really want to keep. Bet I could go through that journal and weed out from it stuff that is in there that is not important to me anymore. I do not like to file, this is why I have all this paper clutter. My ADD gets in the way of accomplishing a lot. I am sidetracked easily. I can not give up on this project until I am satisfied that the paper clutter is managable.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8836844

Pippi, You go girl! Nice work, Im proud of you. Here is a link to a thread you might enjoy.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1147355/ Covers every thing from ADD to paper clutter and so much more!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8848086

I'm working on "weeding Out'' my paper clutter again tonight. I'm not going like a ball of fire but trying to whittle down some whenever I can and have the energy to do some. Today I had 3 appts and when I got home, found out my husband had taken a fall in the parking lot of the Clubhouse this morning after I left for my first appt. He says he's not hurt but he has a skin abrasion on left leg. I hope he didn't knock either of the knee replacements out of line. He wouldn't let them call 911 as he said he wasn't hurt, just needed help getting up. One of the ladies went and got one of the men out of the kitchen nearby to help get him up. He had knee replacement surgeries in 2009 and 2010..

Next week is going to be a very busy week so I know I won't get any "decluttering" done next week unless it is done in the evenings.But I'll keep plugging along until it is manageable so that I can file it away.

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8855159

Have any of you heard about a book written by Gail Blanke called "Throw out 50 things?"
Gail is a world class motivational speaker and has written several books. She has her own blogspot too and you can download the workbook from her book. It looks very inspirational to me and I'm going to see if I can't find the book. There's a few months before wintersowing season begins and those long winter months before the seedlings start germinating. Good time to start such projects. BC, I bet you have a copy of this book or have seen it.?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8855191

Hi Guys, It is dreary and rainy today and a good day to start working in the house. I don't do much over the summer other than the occasional vac job and thing tend to pile up in the extra bedrooms. Paper clutter is a problem for me, too.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8855424

Hubby that said he wasn't hurt in the fall besides the abrasion on left knee ended up with a fractured rib. Sunday morning he was reading the newspaper and had a lot of drainage/phelm that he kept trying to cough up and he heard a pop on his left side. He thought maybe he'd pulled a muscle or a rib from the heavy coughing. We didn't go to church as he wasn't feeling that well. I ended up driving him to ER and sure enough he had a closed fractured rib. He remembers in the fall on Thursday, grabbed a parked car to try to catch his fall and I bet that how he fractured that rib and the heavy coughing added to it. When he arrived, they did an EKG right away as he had shortness of breath, also did a chest xray. They gave him a syringe full of some medicine to dry up his secreations and to calm his coughing, prescriberd Lidoderm patches to apply to the rib cage area and Ex. strength Motrin for pain and some cough syrup. He was told to follow up with primary care physician within 2-4 days. I am taking him for that appt. today. He doesn't seem worst just experiences pain and discomfort at times but no shortness of breath like Sunday.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8855691

Hope he will be feeling better soon. Ric broke his ribs in a fall earlier this summer. Takes awhile for them to heal.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8856094

Yep, that's what he was told, might be as long as 4 weeks. She wants him to have a bone density scan done when this is healed as osteoporis runs in his family on Father's side. His sister has it really bad.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8856172

Well at least he went to the Drs Ric never did and he had several ribs the were moving and a dislocated shoulder that he put back in place himself. Then 2 weeks after the fall our grandson pushed on him to wake him up and the ribs broke loose again.
Sad to say that I didn't get much done inside today. Ended up going out and using a gift certificate for a Mani-Pedi. But my son came over and cleaned out the loft in the garage. He had several boxes of old stuff out there and he either threw them away or took them with them. So does that count?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 19, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8856487

We are still in the high 80s and this is when we plant for spring flowers. So I am very busy rehabbing beds and then in about a week will plant. I am moving many plants around but I have a strong young worker every Saturday for 8 hours so he does all the heavy work, I just plant. We will get cold first part of December. But, I do not even own a coat, so you cam imagine how cold we get.

Be well and safe. Sharon
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 20, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8856720

Pantry... been working on it for a week or more. I got in there and organized from top to bottom and found a quantity of home canned items than are quite dated.

I hate to waste food (for fear of going hungry some day) but decided that I need to dispose of these so I ask the Lords' forgiveness as I empty a few jars each time I have garbage pickup. I put them in sealed disposable containers so critters can't get into them either.

That frees up a bit of shelf space too and makes me less crabby when I go in there and search for what's for dinner.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8858889

I hope today turns out to be a nice day, I need to get started on planting my tulips and daffodil bulbs. It has been a rainy month. Think I saw on tv the other day, we'd had over 19 in. of rain last month and it's rained a lot this month too.

After DH went to bed last evening, (his bedtime seems to fall between 9 or 9:15 pm)unless there is really something good that interest him on tv. After he went to bed, I started pulling clothes out of my dresser drawers and closet that I no longer wear for whatever reasons(sound familiar?)and I started a bag to go to our local hospital Thrift Shop. It contains 3 pr. my summer slacks, 5 blouses/tops, 6 pr. trouser socks/hose, 2 bras, 2 Men's pull over(t-shirts), 1 child's T-shirt, and I know I will add a few purses to that bag or start another one but first I need to make sure the purses are cleaned out. I'm good for taking earrings off and putting them into my purse because of allergies to metal. I throw change in the bottom(doesn't everybody?), etc. I found some of my WW books/litature and pitched that in trash can last evening. It's obsolete now anyhow. I know of 2 pr. of DH's jeans that will be making their way into that donation bag when he's not looking.

I don't think it is supposed to be raining today and I hopefully can get some tulip and daffodil bulbs planted. Ordered Gail Blanke's book called Throw out Fifty things and Clutter rehab101 by Laura Wittman from Amazon. Will start a stack of books tonight that I'll pass on to the used book store at library. Maybe somebody else will enjoy reading them.

How many of you are guilty of buying the most recent "diet/weight loss book" or cookbook, never to put them to intended use? My hand is high in the air for this one, including cookbooks. Guess I'll need to find a box for those.

Maybe tomorrow I will have a chance to start going through old videos that we no longer watch. I'm giving away a color TV set to SA on Nov. 3rd. pick up date. It was purchased about 6 years ago when the grandchildren were little and stayed overnight with us . They could watch the tv in the guest bedroom if Granddaddy was watching his favorite shows. Remember when the kids used to watch cartoons early in the morning when they woke up. Do kids still do that?

You know what I dread the most when I started cleaning out clothing to give away is making a list for income tax purposes. Our local hospital Thrift Shop gives you an itemized receipt with suggested resell prices(which are ridiously low)but I always attach my own itemized list in case there is a question about what I gave away by IRS. Never been audited or had any reason to be audited but I want to be prepared if that should ever happen.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2011 7:28 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 22, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8858918

Yep Pippi, the little ones still watch cartoons, but these days they have their choice of many cartoon channels which run 24/7. When my grandchildren are here, Emily is either watching TV or playing cartoon computer games. I much prefer having her on the computer because it holds her interest better and for longer periods than the TV.

Holly, so glad to have you chatting about de-cluttering again. I have missed you. You and Ric really accomplish so many grand things around your home. You have certainly made it a haven for yourselves and your family when you two are not on the road. You seem to have carved out a good life for yourselves and I can think of no one more deserving of the good life than yourselves.

I am currently dealing mainly with paper work too. Mine is almost one hundred year old documents that my pack rat grand father held on to and it somehow ended up with my belongings, unbeknownst to me until last winter when we were de-cluttering and I found several bag fulls of these things. I am attempting to sort by sibling families and allow folks to have them if they are interested. Pippi has suggested offering left overs to the County Historical Society which I will check in to if family members don't speak for every thing.

So glad that there are folks here to chat with about this never ending pursuit to keep our homes tidy. Thanks for starting the thread Pippi.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8859011

Hi Ruby always nice to talk to you too. I remember you and John did a good bit of decluttering yourselves this spring.
Talk about books and mags I have a ton of them that Ric wants to hang on to. Really out dated and no one has picked them up for years. They are nice books but completely unused. I have some piles of my own that I am working on.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8859353

Today has been kind of cold to me 60degrees but there has been a light mist in the air most of the day. Managed to get a group of tulips planted this afternoon and some daffodills. The cold effects my Raynaud's and I had to quit for the day. My fingers still feel numb from the cold. Haven't heard what the weather is supposed to be like but hope it is sunny and above 60! Tonight I will work on pulling out books and I can take them to library to used book store on Monday afternoon. Will try to get DH to work on his clothes to see if he wants anything to go to the Thrift shop donation.

Does anybody know where I can donate some King James Versions of the Bible? We have about 5 of them here. You only need one, not 5..Some are as old as 50 yrs. old but in excellent condition. Our Sr. Pastor reads from a different version, not King James, and the Assoc. Pastor reads from another version, yet the ones in the pews are all King James Versions. Confusing?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8859371

Salvation Army might want them.
I haven't been out much myself today. Just cold and dreary, that damp cold that makes it feel colder than it really is.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 23, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8859955

It was a nice sunny day here yesterday. I did a major (for me) shopping spree and actually had the air conditioner in my car going. It is now Sunday morning and I have bags sitting in several spots waiting to be put away. I have about an hour to decide whether or not I will be attending a family wedding this afternoon out of town. I have a bad feeling that my little birthday month shopping spree has left me with less energy than I will need in order to get in the car and travel for over two hours and put on a smiling face and meet and greet Watts family folks and friends. I may pull a par for the course with me, and NOT go today. I really hate feeling like I am letting John down by not going, but feel like it may be a bad idea in terms of stressing myself out.

Okay, it is now an hour later. I just shared my thoughts about going today with him. He seems okay that I have decided not to go. He will go alone as he often does. Now I feel less stressed about leaving the house topsy turvy and can spend the day getting it in some sort of order. I am really bothered when my surroundings are not up to par and become edgy if having to look at untidiness for too long.

On my shopping trip I bought a few plants yesterday. Houseplants and mainly succulents that were marked down at Lowe's. I went in search of Purple Passion plants and couldn't resist the succulents for seventy five cents each. Now I hope I can keep them alive. I found two purple passion plants at Home Depot and potting these things today will be on my agenda too.

I hope that the upcoming week is a good one for all.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8860081

I cleaned out one of my desk drawers It is where I stick maps and vacation things. Most of the material did go back into the drawer but I threw out a whole bag of paper. Cleaned a brass duck that Ric brought home from one of the thrift stores. It's really nice looked like someone dipped half of it in some kind of cleaner. Some vinegar, flour and salt did a real nice job cleaning it up.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8860885

Well, I finished planting my tulip bulbs today. Think I have about 5 left and I thought I'd go buy a small bag of some other types to plant in a patio container, like grape hyacinths, and maybe some other type. Probably Scilla or wood hyacinths. Fall of 2012, I'd love to try Virginia Bluebells but need to look up light requirements for those. I got DH to go through some of his clothes he wanted to let go of..everybit of 4 pieces but between his and my books, I have 18 ready to go tomorrow back to used book store at library. He let go of about 6 or 7 puzzles that are brand new. He tried to put one together and it was too hard he said. There's also a model airplane kit that's never been open or out of box. Maybe I will donate that to the Santa Shop at church. Some kid can buy it for a brother or a friend. I will take the clothes to Thrift shop tomorrow and the books to Library after 1 pm. I didn't have a chance to really look through all my cookbooks..got rid of a few diabetic ones and WW(the old ones). Next week or later on this week, I'll start going through the videos. I need to get some mulch down over the areas where I planted the bulbs so hopefully I can do that tomorrow morning, depending on weather but it is supposed to be nicer tomorrow than today and today was better then yesterday but they are predicting more rain toward later part of week.

Plans may change according to priority. I do need to get that mulch down first and I just thought since I'm going to Olney for my labwork on the 27th. It is next door to MGH hospital Thrift shop so will take it during same trip..Saving gas that way..I could also donate the books there and not have to drive to Wheaton to used book store..With the high cost of gas now days, why not plan all errands in same vicinity, same day?

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011 10:05 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2011
3:15 AM

Post #8861086

Sounds like a productive day. I have a lot of outside work to do and I have been dragging my feet getting out there for some reason. My GS came yesterday and we got the outside decorations put up. He had so much fun helping. I will be gone all day today with my GD's class, they are having a field trip to a local pumpkin patch and having hay rides.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 24, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8861734

I hope that both of you ladies enjoy your day. The pumpkin patch visit sounds like fun. I can remember loving Halloween when I was a child. It was right up there with Christmas in my book. I live in the country now and don't have any trick or treaters and I miss them.

I will hopefully get to see Emily and Isaac dressed in their costumes.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8862942

Today is a wonderful day to do most anything especially to wish dear Ruby a very Happy Birthday!

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8862945

Today is a wonderful day to do most anything especially to wish dear Ruby a very Happy Birthday!

Hope you and John and Tucker et al have a wonderful celebration of the wonderfulness of you!

Thanks for all you do and share. Your candle burns brightly!

Thumbnail by coleup

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8863339

Today is Ruby's Birthday? Well sure hope it was a very Happy Birthday.

So Ric built me a shelf that sits over the sliding glass doors in the livingroom. It's about 12 inches wide and 14ft long. It was built to hold our decoys. I never have space to display them all and they are always getting taken down and stored away when I put up Holiday or Seasonal decorations. So not only am I now able to display them but I freed up 3 storage shelves in the upstairs craft/plant room.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 25, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8863785

Happy Birthday Ruby.

Great shelf. Sharon
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 25, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8863970

Happy birthday, Ruby. I hope it was a good one and I wish you many, many more. The world needs people like you.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8864481

Well, instead of waiting till tomorrow morning to deliver all the stuff I'm donating to our local hospital Thrift Shop, I delivered it this morning. I forgot that the Thrift Shop doesn't open until 10 am and I have 8 am lab work appt. and it might take 15 min. for that, then I have a hair appt. at 10:30 in opposite direction..I wanted to get it out of living room today! It started raining about 30 min. ago and this is a good opportunity to weed/destroy more paper clutter. Might even go through all those Videos and see how many can go. I know DH wants to keep certain ones. Don't know why because he's watched Indiana Jones many times. The only one I'd like to keep and it's no big deal..I can let it go is Pretty Woman with Julie Roberts and Richard Gere. I've seen it at least 4 times and it's still as good as seeing it the first time. Wished they'd do a sequel to it with same people playing in it. But I can let it go.

My books that I ordered through Amazon.com arrived today so I am anxious to look/read through them..Was disappointed in size of books and both are paperback.
Can probably go through some more of our books and get rid of some more of them.
Especially cookbooks and Home Improvement books.

Now if the spirit will only get me started in that direction!

Happy Belated Birthday, Ruby!

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8864891

Happy Birthday!

(Finally! got some decluttering done!) We are moving to the southern part of Korea in a couple of weeks and DH had agreed that while we did not want to keep a bunch of this clutter forever, he didn't want to get rid of it "just yet". He finally! took the argument: If not now, when? I am on top of the world! He likes that the little walk-in closet is 'walk-able' again :-) I haven't any hope of making inroads into his clothing issue, but these 3 big bags are a huge win in the household stuff department! He has gained weight in the 3 years that he has been here and he will not get rid of a stitch of clothes as he says he is going to lose it all...we'll see. The only way anyone loses weight in his family is surgically and that would involve those needles and knives he hates/fears.

Love that shelf, HollyAnn. I had a high shelf that went around my kitchen that I loved for DH's beer stein and coffee mug collection. It is so nice to have a "place" for things like that.

Thumbnail by JuneyBug

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2011
2:40 AM

Post #8865392

It's 5:20 am, woke up at 4 am..went to bed too early last night. My books arrived yesterday from Amazon.com that I had ordered. I knew one was going to be a paperback but looks can be deceiving..ClutterRehab101 by Laura Wittman is also a paperback. That looked like a hardback on her website. I have lab work scheduled for 8 am and have to fast..and I'm starving and can't eat until after that is done, so I'm trying to keep busy so I won't think about being hungary. Have a hair appt. at 10:30..wished I had rescheduled yesterday as it's supposed to be rainy today. Maybe I'll just do a haircut and no color until next time.

Rainy weather will encourage me to work on my decluttering and throwing out(hopefully!)
Drug all of the videos we had and put them out for DH to go through and he pitched a 75 yr. hissy fit. I knew he would want to keep certain ones but he hasn't looked at any of them in over a year so why keep them? He started acting like a child and walks into my bedroom just picking things at random on my dresser that he wanted me to throw out and then walks to the closet where I keep all my genealogy research and he points to all of those notebooks on top shelf that are full of 30 plus years of research, including his family lines..he just was trying to get back at me. I tend to tell him everything; from now on, I'll just sneak stuff out on my bowling days and afterward I'm finished bowling, I'll drop it off to either Goodwill or Salvation Army or the local hospital thrift store. " There's more than one way to skin a cat!" He claimed all those videos were his..but there were some that were mine, so I'll just bag mine up and take them and donate them somewhere. In the meantime, I'm leaving all those videos on the tea cart by the front door for him to have to look at each time he goes in/out the door and he'll think more about getting rid of them or try to figure out how to watch them again. Nothing like a childish fit from a 75 yr. old! I've got a little American Indian blood on my paternal side and I'll get even!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8865909

My plant/craft room is starting to fill up plans all over the floor. Living area is getting very full also. I am heading out very early Sat morn for the last trip of the year. I will be digging in when I get home.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8866171

Well, it's rained all day today and I hope tomorrow brings sunshine. Didn't do much of anything today. Had an 8 am for lab work, went and got hair cut/blow dry and came home and washed a load of clothes. Have at least 4 loads more to go. A woman's work is never done. Read a little in the book that came yesterday "Throw fifty things out" by Gail Blanke.
Downloaded the workbook(26 pages). I think anybody can off her website.

Need to do some volunteer work tomorrow up at church, so probably won't tackle anything more until Saturday morning.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8866265

Today must have been a good day to have your hair done. I did, too.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

October 28, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8866903

Morning All, I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I especially liked the economics/home economics quote.
You all are very inspiring. I think I will work on some clutter today.
One of the biggest helps for me, was to quit going to thrift shops. I love thrifting, but started noticing that the things I really had no place for were things that i had bought at thrift shops. It was very eye opening.
I need to have a major yard sale.
Can anyone say "Christmas Money?" Maybe that will be a good motivator for me this week. If I start planning a yard sale, then it will be easier to get rid of things...
Hope everyone has a great day.
Linda
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 28, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8867327

Thank you to everyone for my birthday wishes. I am just now getting a minute to check out some threads due to having yet another very full week. I hear everyone talking about rain. It has threatened to rain here a couple of days, but none of the wet stuff here yet. I also spoke with someone in Maryland earlier today and she said there is a possibility of five inches of snow tonight. I can tell you that I am not quite ready for that yet. It was just summer yesterday it seems. Yikes!!!

Holly I love the shelving. What a great idea. In my previous home I had space above my kitchen cabinets where I displayed some of my favorite pieces and sure miss having that in this house. A decoy collection sounds great. I will have to check it out if I ever get back to your place for a visit. I am sure it is just as nice as all the other efforts you and Ric have put in to building your homestead.

Linda, there you go...yep, do a yard sale and help out with Christmas expenses. I too had a revelation about my shopping habits last year while doing a de-clutter. I realized that a good amount of the items I had sitting around unopened were buys from The Dollar Tree. I did not allow myself to even go to a Dollar Store for many months because I didnt' trust myself. I have to admit that for a couple months now, I am sneaking back in to them though. Last Saturday I went on a dollar store spree and spent almost two hundred dollars.

I can't feel too badly though because I am for the most part buying food stuffs that we eat. Mainly snack types of food. I was amazed that the store I visited on Saturday has a rather large frozen food section now. I didn't check it out because I knew I wouldn't be going straight home and didn't want to buy perishables that day, but might check it out at another time. I have also been purchasing little Christmas gifts while at the stores too, so all of this will be used and not sit in the bag in my spare room the way that I used to let happen quite often.

It is really good to see so many of you still interested in de-cluttering and writing in. I always love to read about progress or the plans that folks have in regards to de-cluttering. Some of you folks are way up there in my book of favorite people. Each of you have played a part in my continuing to love this website and the people who are members.

It is Friday night and I want to wish everyone a very wonderful weekend. I am looking forward to doing very little, even though the to do list I made earlier has at least fifteen or more items on it. Nope, it won't all get done, but hopefully I will make a good size dent on it.

Oh yeah, Juney please keep us updated on the move. How exciting...I guess. Tell us about the reason for the move if you don't mind sharing. Maybe you will have more cultural lessons to teach us after the move. Hope that you can hubby to some day come up off those clothes. That he is willing to begin getting rid of some other things, is progress though...so that is always good.

I will report at another time the things going on in the background here as far as John and his belongings are concerned. I have been quite pleased.

Ciao all.

Ruby

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8867506

I have a couple of perfectly good cameras they just aren't digital. I can take them to Salvation Army but I wonder if anyone would really want them especially since one of them is an underwater camera. Also several old satellite dish boxes, an old computer, some VCR's and a broken TV. When I get back home I will have to see about getting rid of these old electronics.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8867519

We are moving because the Army is downsizing like everybody else... DH heard the real reason a couple of days ago - and it was a no-brainer. They had to get rid of 8 positions that were not war type of positions.
The only ones here are FRG - Family Readiness Group team leaders and MAIT - the Maintenance Assistance and Instruction Team that DH is Chief of.
The MAIT team jobs can be done by Soldiers, even though they are not experts, but the Family Readiness Group team leaders are in the battalions and companies and they assist the spouses of the Soldiers and teach them and keep them in-the-loop and updated on everything that is going on with their Soldiers Army life. It is too important to help these young Army wives and husbands for anyone to do away with the paid positions that the FRG team members have (volunteer rates didn't prove useful in the beginning and paid positions are the only way to go with this). Gosh, when the General told him this, even he had to agree with it.

DH is spending every bit of time that he can trying to find jobs for his team so that they are given a choice and not just put any old where. That is hard in this economy. He found his job pretty quickly and has visited with the different offices that he will be working with. It is in the Daegu area of Korea, in the south-east. I will miss living in north Seoul! Everything! is here and there are many English speaking people around. We hear that it is "more Korean" down south...we also hear that it is cheaper to live there and we are excited at the thought of having a larger place to live♥
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8869148

Holly, I believe if I were you, I would run an ad on Craig's List or some other no cost advertisement gig for the cameras and see if I couldn't get a few bucks out of them. A person just never knows who might be in the market for exactly what you have to offer. When donating to charity, and I know personally of the stories of the workers always taking first dibs at the donations that come in. That is why there are local places that I will not donate to and prefer to drive a bit further to donate the items I am getting rid of. So, check it out...even if it is twenty bucks or something, it can get you a cheap meal at some point. I believe I would also do an online research and see if the items you have to sell are selling and for what price. You may not want to go to the trouble of doing all of this, but hey you never know...someone may be willing to give you a decent price on the things you have...if not...donate. My two cents honey.

Juney, what an exciting life you live. May not seem so to you, but for a small town girl such as myself who hasn't really traveled too very much, or seen too many other parts of the world, it all sounds very exciting. I know that moving isnt always a pleasant chore and I don't envy you in that, I do envy the education you are receiving by living in other parts of the world. You are doing an excellent job of coping with the moves, and taking it all in stride. If you are displeased over any aspect of the moves, you are doing a good job of keeping it to yourself.

Oh boy, the state of the nation is scary for sure. I was talking with another chatter a couple of months ago or so about the dire straights that so many are in. One thing I have noticed recently is something we would have never seen a few years back, but evidently the economy has touched just about everyone. A few years ago we would have never seen the movie stars who are now becoming a staple of TV commercials, lower themselves to such a lowly way to make money. Just about every week I see new stars added to the list of folks doing real work, such as doing commercials. That has made a big impact on me. Wish I knew the answer and had more faith about our futures.

Anyway...I enjoyed hearing from both of you today. I hope that you have had a decent enough weekend and the upcoming week will prove to be a good one also.

Ruby

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8879783

You are right Ruby it is nice to get a little extra $$ and we do have a small local flea market just a mile up the road. While I was away Ric did some organizing of his drawers and cleaned up some of his table top clutter. Once all my dive gear is good and dry I will be packing it all away and organizing the floor of my closet where I store our luggage.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8879880

Holly, dive gear? Is there anything that you don't do? My DH is still nursing that fractured rib. Today I'm meeting a dear friend of mine that we've been friends since Jan. 1963..haven't seen her in probably a year but we talk on phone or email regularly. We are meeting for lunch in Columbia area, (Md not Pa) She wants to share some of her gardening books with me. Her DH is retiring from second career in April and they may be leaving the area.

Have a great day!

AspenHill...have you ever been to the Luckett's store in your area? Just discovered Miss Mustard Seed's decorating blog and she evidently has a space there. Might have to check that out one weekend.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8880635

Oh I love diving, I usually only go once a year but boy is it fun when I do.
So I cleaned out my glove box in the car today. Does that count as de-cluttering. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8884281

I am packing up the Halloween decorations this morning. If the weather is good I want to dig the cannas but I am also hoping to pack up all the dive gear, yesterday I had Ric drop off a TV and the 2 old dish receivers at the recycling center. I am going to try and do at least 3 things each week to de-clutter. I would like to do one thing each day but 3 a week sounds more practical. Most of them will be very small jobs

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America