Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Stinky weather

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 16, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 1, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8831971

This weather is the pits! I have stronger adjectives on my mind but I guess this'll have to suffice. I started hauling in potted plants the other day because of the high winds but have more to bring in because of the cold. Spent the entire day cleaning out the little GH and hosing down plants but I still have more to go. I already have leaves to clean up as well as branches (from the wind) but that'll have to wait until I get the rest of my pots inside tomorrow.
Has anyone further north or west gotten any frost yet?
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8832024

All my plants are inside already. We had 32 and 32 and 34 and 34 so far. I'll put a couple back outside tomorrow as it loks like a week of 70 w/o frost.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8833181

Here in Lake Delton, we've had light frost ... I'm pretty wooded, so i dont get as cold. I've been moving plants around - putting some in the shed. we have nice weather coming for next week... possibly after that, I will have to pitch the annuals.

Dug of some caladiums today... not sure if they can be saved.. they were in the part of the Park that got frost nipped.
Near 80's by end of next week... we shall see if that holds.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 2, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8833205

I think it only got down to 40 here. Have been hauling some plants indoors today even with the nice weather forecast for this week. I need to do some real gardening and composting this week so that I can clean next week for upcoming in-law visit at the end of the month. I haven't done anything with the caladiums yet. They're still in their pots and have been protected from the north wind. Trying to figure out how I'm going to let them die down so that I can lift the corms. Also have to get some cuttings this week from the annuals as there's just no room to bring them in.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8833222

Cindy -- from the bulbs i lifted today... they are smaller than when i put them in the ground. I did read that about these bulbs... i guess a bit disappointing. I had a few that I could tell were "babies" , and a few that were soft, like almost rotted. Not sure how they will store... but I'll try.

I did find my favorite turned out to be Lance Whorton. small plant, but very pretty leaves.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 2, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8833263

Could all that rain have contributed to the rotting? I did keep mine in pots so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I found that all of the leaves kept some of the rain out of the pots and I had to water them even after the rain.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8833444

these ones that I lifted -- they were in a garden, not pots. I'll be doing some other soon, they all were in pots. I'll see if there is a difference.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 3, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8834175

Yippee! The nice weather is here. I plan to be outside almost every day this week. Lifting a few more plants to make room for next year's veggies, spot composting, taking cuttings, cutting back some perennials, putting down a few amendments, emptying pot and stashing them out of the way over winter and washing the outside of the little GH (mostly because I put up bubble wrap on the inside and I need to maximize the sun coming through).
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 11, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8845214

Does this seem like an early fall to anyone? Maybe my brain is in a time warp but it sure seems like the leaves are falling a week or two early here. It's 80 degrees here and I'm cleaning up leaves. I know this warm spell is skewing my senses though.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8845925

I think our Fall colors came early this year... we are already past peek -- at least where we are at.
I think with the goofy weather, some places dry and some too wet ... our colors popped at different times.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 12, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8846453

A lot of the trees here are already bare. With all of the different oaks and hickory here, leaves will be falling for the next month. Ugh. Love the colors, hate the on-going leaf cleanup.
philljm
Hustisford, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8846725

I just spent a very long weekend in western PA, and the colors there are about right on schedule. Even on the road trip to and from, some areas were at peak, some not at peak, and other areas past.

I came home to no leaves at all on my ash tree, nor my honey locust, but my maples are still green

I do have a couple of flowers still blooming... a rebloom on a daylily (that isn't supposed to rebloom) and my ligularia is blooming like crazy. (I think that is how you spell it)

I have counted 4 light frosts at my place so far, rural area on top of a hill. I just covered everything because I knew we were supposed to have this beautiful warm spell. I think the first one was around September 15th or so.

Wasn't this weather just fabulous? ~Jan
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8846849

Part of me thinks that such a long stretch of nice weather that we have been having is just to set us up for a big suprize.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2011 7:02 AM
philljm
Hustisford, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8846984

Hush...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8847170

LOL Jan.. I hear ya on the Hush... I dont even want to think about what the weather liars have been talking about.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 13, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8847324

Amazing that at this time of year, the weather geeks all have theories and then reference all of the different "almanacs". Latest thing I read was normal winter temps with above-average precipitation. Great. It's intermittent showers this morning but can't complain because it's been dry. Mums and Trycirtis are blooming here.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8847569

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=2

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America