Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: "Wambli" Dark Brahma, My favorite Roo, whats yours!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 15, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
1:35 AM

Post #8832392

Here is Wambli today. He isnt quite fully mature yet, so hes still a baby. He doesnt crow he Honks! its a very low growly honk ,but definitely a honk! He isnt aggressive and he loves baby silkies. He will actually let them sit under him to keep them warm and he scratches the ground and softly honks for them to come and eat.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
1:40 AM

Post #8832393

Here he is , almost 6 months ago with his mate. They were almost identical except he was taller.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8832399

Here he is with his Dark Brahma Bantam counterparts , who are the same age. This was taken right after Wambli's mate was taken off by a predator. Apparently a coyote or fox, cause she was just too big for anything else to take her with no evidence left behind, not a feather.
A month later a hawk took the Bantam Roo. So now I have one LF" Wambli" and a bantam Hen "Dancer".

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
2:13 AM

Post #8832402

Honk Honk!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8832404

Yes he is my all time favorite LF Roo! So who is yours?????

Thumbnail by Eufaula

porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 2, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8832545

Your Wambli is quite handsome indeed! I have two nearly identical "accidental" Minorca roosters: Walker and Frances. They were supposed to be Jersey Giant pullets. Big oops! They are both gentle and good guardians for the hens but I think I like Walker best. He is almost always in the wrong coop at evening lockdown and is very tolerant of being transferred. I will see whether I have any pictures this PM.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8832804

I can just see you re-arranging Walkers chosen sleeping arrangements Porkpal. Isnt it funny how our little feathered families just know how to manipulate us into doing silly things like this at night! It seems every afternoon I have one or the other to put where they belong! LOL! Im looking forward to seeing your Minorcas!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8832983

Patches my Rumpless & Double Tufted Araucana and Little Man my Sebright are my favorite roo's

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8832988

Thats just toooo funny Donna!! I have a "Little Man" too, he is a pumpkin colored Serama!!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8833435

Here is my favorite roo. My Faverolle his name is Papa. He likes to to talk to me...It sounds like ba ba ba (or some times pa pa pa) when he vocalizes. He doesn't crow much but when he does it is pretty quiet and raspy. I thought he would get picked on the most because of the gentle nature of the breed but he holds his own with the other roos I have. He is bigger now than this picture shows and he has lost most of his beard because the girls have plucked them clean off.

Edit: Ah shoot the copyright text is covering some of him up...

This message was edited Oct 3, 2011 11:48 AM

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8833905

Oh my TitaniumRX8, Papa is a very colorful and handsome bird!! I've never had Favorolles and wondered about their temperment. Sounds as if he would make a very nice addition to flocks where Roosters are not wanted because of the Crowing. Haha , looks as if the girls are just jealous and want equal time with this handsome devil!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8835667

I got an updated picture of Papa. You can see that he is a handsome devil...even without his beard.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8835703

Thanks for the pics:). I have two young Favorelle roos, and it's nice to see they're headed in the right direction.

porkpal, I do considerable relocation every night. From the What-nots (Polish) and Dots (SilverSpangled Hamburgs) on the porch railings, to the other Nots in the tree, there are several roos who coopjump...

Keeps me busy, I guess.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8835904

T.RX8, Actually your Papa qualifies as a mixed up breed! I read up on him and he is actually the result of several beautiful breeds that became the Faverolles!!! Gorgeous Bird!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 4, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8835921

Papa is very handsome indeed!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8836954

love the coloring

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America