Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Central Midwest Gardening: October 2011 - National yardwork month in most states

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 178, Views: 850
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8833166

The leaves are falling and everything. Here's a shadowbox I put together for a painting of my Grandma's, (not my former landlady, that was my Dad's Mom). She loves that painting, I think it reminds her of her when she was young, she is half indian.
I got a whopping $1.82 in that painting, that's what it cost at the hardware store to have the glass for it cut, the rest of the stuff I already had. See the little pieces of cardboard I glued in there to keep the glass off the painting? When I gave it to her she asked if I could make more, it's no problem to make more I told her.
Well, I should be out doing something in the yard but I got a cold or something and don't feel like doing anything! Actually, starting tomorrow, I think I'm going to set some plants back outside that I've already brought in, so they can get some sun.
This week, everyday it's supposed to be in the 80's. - http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/64054
Will

This message was edited Oct 2, 2011 5:20 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8833202

We went to a car show early today and was home by about 2pm. It was in Pattonsburg. That is the city the Feds moved because it flooded every time it rained. It is a fun place to go. Some of the people decided to move their old houses so there are some probably 100 year old houses with a brand new house next to it and no trees, or very small trees cause it was built in a field...when you drive into it you just know something is odd... ;) They always have a great car show and people come from Iowa, Missouri, Ks, and even saw tags from Oklahoma.

Then I spent the day watering. It is soooo dry. I can't find the sprinkler, don't have a clue where I put it. Makes me crazy when I do that.

Will I love bamboo but don't want any. I am a giant chicken after seeing my friend have her yard dug up and the soil hauled away which I believe was 4 feet down, the entire yard. I know her basement was out in the open and there were make shift steps to get in. I need to find those pics. I don't think weed killier will kill it either.

The skys have been crystal clear, no smog, no humidity, just beautiful.
Love the statement about the weather liars...rofl. Only thing about the weather you can trust is what you see...rofl.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8833279

I did pretty much nothing today. lol. Cleaned house a bit and lazy rest of day.

That bed will take a ton of elbow grease. But I already have some plants so that's a start. Just have to dig it all back out and make the soil something plants can actually grow in. I'm hoping the extra work will make it worth it.

I'm a bamboo chicken too!!! Powell Gardens doesn't even grow bamboo except for this one clumping kind where the perennial garden meets the rock and waterfall garden. And it's a clumping bamboo so it behaves better. A very deep concrete trough with at least a foot of concrete sticking above the ground is the best way to grow it. Or build a planter on a deck that has no way for the bamboo to escape. lol

Purple and red salvia

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8833404

I don't want to give someone a problem later, I'm gonna try to make sure the bamboo is well controlled in pots or something, or somehow above ground. I'm wondering now if this bamboo is evergreen. I'm not the homeowner here, she pretty much lets me do most things that are an improvement, even though I always ask her, I don't want to give her a problem later on down the road. She wouldn't think too highly of me if she had to remove 4 feet of dirt from her whole yard! That is a colorful picture of the flowers there, Pepper.
I remember hearing about Pattonsburg, MO. in the news, it was always flooding.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8833870

Will, is the paint on the shed what's in the can you already have? I look forward to seeing what color you come up with using the dye.

Nope, it's a picture of a guy showing how tall bamboo gets :o) I saw it on Facebook, but didn't have time to do more than check it out. I'll get back there tho, to comment.

Cool, I think Tron looks good, but I've never played games to know anything about it. I wonder how many years before HBO gets it? LOL!

Yeah, that's the perfect caption!

Very nice shadowbox! My Mom liked Indians and I gave her statues for Christmas for a few years. I have them now.

I took my rain lily into the garage and will be setting it back into the sun too. I'm wondering if a light frost would be good for it, just to stop the leaves from continuing to be green, half way into winter. I have to store it under a closet and it's hard to get to it to check on it.

Bummer on the cold :o(

Happ, to move a whole town. They did that to a town in Iowa and I often think what it would be like if they moved us. We are down in an old swamp with high bluffs half way around us. At least the property lines would be clear. It's awesome that people actually were able to take their old houses. That's wonderful!

Oh my! Are you serious??? That is horrible!! No bamboo ever, for me either!!

LOL! Absolutely, and so far, I see stars :o)

Pepper, as long as there isn't any root grass or other invasive in there, it will be beautiful next year. Even just being planted with different colors and heights is a huge difference.

LOVE both those plants!

Will, just think of the pond she would have and it would already be dug deep. Heck, a swimming pool would be better, LOL! A ''disaster'' has some promise... Notice that it's ''fine'' in your yard but not mine...

Well, gotta move on. I have a tub full of green tomatoes turning color and I want a green tomato pie and fried green tomatoes.

Have a good day all!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8834066

Tron has probably already been on HBO, I looked, my friend recorded it on Starz the other day, it is included in the poor-person Dishtv package! It's not like it used to be, a lot of times on good movies, they don't wait a long time to put them on regular tv, well not network tv, but satellite or cable channels are much more likely to have them. We've already seen movies like The Social Network, The Green Hornet, Inception and Avatar. The Social Network was on Starz, it's still in the dvr, Inception is still in there, it was recorded on HBO, it was a free preview of HBO a couple of months ago. The Green Hornet was recorded on Starz as well. I don't recall what channel Avatar was recorded from, it's already been deleted. Thats what you do though, when the free preview comes on HBO, you record like heck! The free preview for HBO usually only lasts 3 days. But, back to Avatar, that was a great movie. The critics talked back then like it was all animation and colors and stuff, but it has a good story, it might even make you cry, if you're a crying type, not me! That movie has special significance to a tree or plant person because there is an unworldly huge tree that is the home for all the aliens in the movie, it is pretty well idolized, that's all I'll say, in case somebody hasn't seen it!

Oh no, that shed was painted that color before my friend bought this house in 96'. It looks like Redwood latex to me too. I put that photo on Facebook and tagged you on that photo but it sure is corny!

Thanks Sally, she loves that shadowbox!

They must really like their houses, I thought it was pretty expensive to move a house!
edited to include another movie that I forgot.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2011 8:03 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8834279

Will, if you are talking about moving houses in Pattsonburg, the feds paid for it or sort of because the feds bought Pattonsburg out to get them away from the constant flooding and fixing. Which was cheaper in the end I am sure.

Wish I could say I got something accomplished but not so much. :) Have tons to do and I am letting this great weather fly by. Really dumb on my part. I need to find the sprinkler and I couldn't find it any where!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8834308

Oh I see, yeah, I was talking about Pattonsburg, Mo. I know the feeling about not getting much accomplished, altho you could be being humble! Hehe! Seriously tho, I feel like I could do more sometimes, but right now I just have this runny nose, I am always looking for toilet paper or something to blow my honking nose! Like just now, I sneezed 3 times!
Will
p.s. I must water later, they said on the news we haven't had rain in Kc. in 15 days!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8834350

Will - Nice shadow box.

Pepper - Your salvias are very pretty. Nice photo, too. I'm a bamboo chicken, too! I know there are some non-invasive kinds, but I haven't checked into those.

Happ - You need to get more than one sprinkler! Haha. We have about eight of them...not because we need that many, we just keep trying different kinds and can't decide which one we like best. LOL

Hi, Sally!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8834416

Hi Ima! Thanks! See all the Iris, in this link, that I got from you? - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8828537 They are flourishing! I'll get them planted in a sunny spot. I think you said they are the Blue Flag kind, that'll look good when I get them planted in a sunny spot. That's them in the cream colored pot and the black pot, that pot of Forsythia to the right of them got planted last week, that's a little Lilac to the left of the black pot. I think Forsythia will bloom yellow in the shade! I wasn't too worried about where it went, but I found a sunny spot for it I think.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8834909

Hi Pepper, I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I don't think the 'Black Knight' is gonna show a sign of life. The 'Blue Nahno' looks like it is doing swimmingly, I've planted it.
Stuff happens and I may be wrong, I've been wrong before! The 'Black Knight' could spring to life yet!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8834910

I planted up 2 Ligularia's 'Midnight Lady's tonite. The "shade garden" is such a small area (4.5' x 7' rectangular), I hope I did okay by planting them only 6 inches from the wall and 6" from the concrete on the sides of them.
I am gonna try to squeeze a couple more Hostas in there as well as a couple of Autumn Ferns, that are getting of pretty good size as well, in pots.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8835001

Give it a chance til mid to late spring just in case. It just might be in major shock. At least we can hope that it is. lol

If you guys haven't voted in the DG County Fair I highly recommend doing it. There are some great pics in there!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8835055

I have been enjoying this beautiful weather. We've been having 70's and 80's. I dug up about seven lantanas that I am going to try to overwinter this year. I have preened my rose berm. I kept vacillating back and forth whether to preen or not to preen. I am not going to have any re-seeding annuals in that berm, so I thought I would try to overwinter some of the lantanas. They have come from seed this summer. I am also going to try to do some lantana cuttings. I am also going to try to dig up and overwinter some pentas and take cuttings of them also. I like both the pentas and the lantanas, and they sell for about 3.50 per plant. I am glad I made the decision to preen the rose berm. I was tired of reaching under the thorny rose bushes to get to the weeds.
I keep working on the gardens and it seems they never are completely finished.
I bought some Hucheras at Lowe's. They were 2.80 each. They are very pretty. I have been wanting Hucheras for a couple of years now, so was glad they were on the clearance rack. I could use some more, however. I am putting them as an edging along a trio of Dogwoods.
Hubby is going to make a cold frame so we can have dill, cilantro and probably lettuce and radishes.
Pepper, we too have seen the movie, "The Help" recently. It was very good. However, we listened to the book on tape first, and it was even better than the movie.
We're planning a canoe trip down the "Current River". We try to do that each fall. It is a beautiful canoe trip. The colorful trees reflect onto the water. The water is slow this time of year, and we just glide down the river.
We went to see the musicals: "Into the Woods" locally, and "The Addam's Family" at the Fox in St L. They were both very entertaining.
I have read the past posts but did not find how Crit's finger is by now? Any news there?
Will, you must like "living on the edge". There's no way I would plant bamboo nor Lilly of the Valley. Wow!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8835166

Hi birder! Its been a while! I'm looking forward to browsing The Home Depot and Lowes's Fall Clearances myself! I tell you, I'm going to have a "fall clearance box store collection of plants", at least they'll get big eventually! I have 5 Heucheras myself, 3 purple ones and 2 light green chartreuse ones. It sounds like a good plan there, birder, as edging on the 3 Dogwoods. Mine are going to be relegated to the shade, some in the shade garden, but I'm thinking only 2 will fit there.

Boy, I'm glad I haven't eaten any Cantaloupe lately. We do eat Cantaloupe pretty regularly but haven't for about 2 months, they just said on the news 2 people in KS. have died from Listeria in Cantaloupe from CO.
I haven't heard about Crit's finger, I hope it's doing well for her. I've been down the Current River too, but I went in early June when I went and it was pretty fast. A few places were downright treacherous! On that trip, a Sister and her boyfriend at the time capsized and all their stuff went downstream! Haha, they had just bought a new camcorder, they took it back to Walmart for a refund when they got back! Hehe, if you're Walmart, this was over ten years ago..lol! The scenery there is beautiful though!

Haha! I'm gonna try hard to keep the bamboo under control if at all possible! I'm even thinking I should get those Bamboos out of those kitty litter buckets even though, conceivably, they look pretty well contained for a while. It just troubles me that they'll get out sometime in the future and all heck will break loose! I can't stop thinking how those buckets will crack eventually from the freezing and thawing, and bamboo will be running everywhere. Since I've seen firsthand the grief that it's causing and other bad stories I really have third thoughts. I'm thinking that running bamboo is a pot planter plant only, get a brass pot and put it in the house for gosh sakes..lol! Living on the edge should only be an involuntary matter haha! My friend here loves her some Lily-Of-The-Valley though, she'd be fine if the whole yard was Lily-Of-The-Valley. It sounds bad but it's true, for years she had nothing but Bush Honeysuckle! She says Lily-Of-The-Valley reminds her of being at home. There is one Lily-Of-The-Valley out there that survived out of 6 of them that I planted here last Spring.
The only vine Honeysuckle is this "Halls Honeysuckle" in the photo that's growing up a former clothesline. I watch it, but I hear that the vines of it aren't as nasty. Unfortunately, there are Bush Honeysuckle seedlings popped up everywhere, I pull them when they get no taller than about 4 to 6 inches tall. In 07' my friend surprised me and hired a couple off Angieslist that did landscaping to pull all the Bush Honeysuckle out.

Pepper, where is DG County Fair, I looked, I couldn't find it? Oh yes, I'm gonna leave 'Black Knight' out there, that's my style to water plants and make sure they have sun, several have came back for me when they are seemingly dead. For example, purple Wandering Jew cuttings take about 2 months to show signs of life I found out, I don't give up on anything! I thought that Cardinal plant was a goner but it was in among the other plants that got sun and water (even in 108°weather), that's just my way, to leave something for a while, a long while, and that Cardinal plant sprouted at the roots and I have already planted it.
Will

This message was edited Oct 3, 2011 11:14 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8835642

Will, How nice to have someone from Angie's List do some landscaping and what a nice friend! Did they do a nice job? I don't think Angie's List would be all that useful in this unpopulated area. I think it's more of a suburban thing. I have often thought about hiring a couple of guys to re-seed my lawn or do some landscaping jobs around my house, but I am always afraid they would be checking out the place to come back later and do some kind of bad thing. Heck, look at Elizabeth Smart.

I need to harvest my basil and make pesto to freeze for later. It's so good. I am waiting on just a little more motivation. Probably in the form of a threat of a freeze! Ha!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8835794

Will - Glad your irises are happy. It sounds like you've been busy planting. Your shade bed sounds like it will be lovely. The Ligularia will get big, though. They get about 30 inches wide by 30-36 tall. But I don't know how long they take to get that big. Might as well enjoy them till they outgrow the space.

I hadn't thought about it when you first mentioned they were in pots, but ,yeah, scary to think of the pot freezing and cracking and the roots escaping. Yikes!

Birder - Good deal on the Heucheras! Isn't it great when you find a deal like that, especially on something you've been looking for? They will be pretty as an edging for your dogwoods. I like Lantanas and Pentas, too. My aunt in Miami, FL has a hedge of red Pentas along her front walk. They are 4-foot-tall by 3-foot-wide shrubs -- so big that she has to trim them to keep them from growing out over her sidewalk!

Several of my friends have read the book and seen the movie, "The Help" and said they were both great. I just started reading the book. Looks to be a good read. Generally, I find that when there is a movie made from a book, the book is better.

What happened to Crit's finger? I hope she's okay.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8836273

County Fair link. http://davesgarden.com/contest/2011-daves-garden-county-fair/

Make sure you guys don't do any burning. There are red flag warnings out all over Kansas and Independence has put a ban on all burning without a permit. Waaay to dry to burn stuff.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8836292

Here is my shade garden. I'm not putting all those plants in there, maybe half of them. I just set them all in there to look like something is under progress, not sure what!
See the Ligularia's on the back corners, wow that's pretty big, I'm hoping these don't get that big for awhile! Those 2 Heuchera's I think are the 'Palace Purple's, at least one of them will probably get planted in there.
Those 2 ferns will probably get planted in there as well as at least 2 more Hosta's, maybe the 'Paul's Glory' in the back middle and the 'Patriot' in the front middle, (the one in the basket that says "apples" on it).
I have yet to get some Lily-Of-The-Valleys to go in there somewhere, but if I don't produce some Lily-Of-The-Valleys I'm toast! I am thinking the ferns somewhere in the back, but I better start planting in random places, if a machined look comes out, I am also toast!

Oh, no open burning for me! It's not allowed in Independence at any time. Technically, I live about 3 blocks outside of the Independence, MO. city limits, in Sugar Creek, but it also doesn't allow open burning at anytime.
It is DRY, they said on the news, this is 16 days without rain!

Thanks Pepper, I'll check out the County Fair.
Will

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 10:26 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2011

Post #8836293

Yeah, the people from Angieslist did do a good job, it was a married couple. They didn't work cheap, they got $35 an hour, that's more than I would've paid but when you want stuff done, money kinda has to take a back seat. They were a nice couple, they did a lot more than pull Honeysuckle, they planted and did some landscaping too. I have an Aunt who also hired a roofer and another bid-winner dug trenches for a septic tank.
I wouldn't get the lowest bidder myself, but you can save quite a bit by doing the bidding and interviewing process and getting contractors off of the web, she used Craigslist. Any way, never pay all up front. And I'd keep it below the amount you can sue for in small claims court if it comes to that - http://www.gimmelaw.com/small-claims-court-jurisdictional-limits - $3,000 in Missouri.

Hi birder, oh yes, it's by far a good idea to be home and watching them if possible. Have you seen those commercials for Angieslist I think where the guy tracks red paint thru-out the house and another orders porno movies on her tv?! My friend hired tree trimmers that came while she had to work and I am almost certain they cut a big branch, dropped it, and bent her chain-link fence top rail a little, but how can it be proven? There was no witnesses and of course they're not going to say they did it. But, the fence wasn't bent BEFORE they came!! lol Yeah, to come back and snatch your kid, like Elizabeth Smart, that'd be terrible.
And you definitely want to try to get people already in that line of work, that do that in they're business. I heard of a story I think on HGTV on Holmes on Homes where the workers were watching a how-to video in the lady's home!

Here's another before and after pic I did, it's only a difference of a little more than 6 months, I think the one after photo actually looks worse!

Hi Ima, Crit had an injury to her finger from an accident with a horse of hers in Tulsa, OK. She is describing it here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1204534/ Scroll down to her Aug. 24th post.
Thanks, I been doing some planting lately.
Will

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 9:05 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8837613

HI Ima, You will truly enjoy the book, "The Help". I too think the book is always better than the movie. Yes, I am quite pleased with the Huecheras. I returned today to buy a few more--they were all gone. I "think" Lowe's puts their stuff on clearance racks on Thursdays. I may check back tomorow. I am looking at some Sedum, "Neon". I had some but it disappeared. I am thinking of shopping for some Lime Rickey or Key Lime Pie or one of those lime green ones.

Weather has been gorgeous.

I am bringing in Sage, Mint, Rosemary, Chives, Basil, and Parsley to over winter. I really like using fresh herbs in my cooking. I also like to just "smell" them. MMmmm

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8838430

Hi all. How about this 'Luna Red' hibiscus trying to bloom?! Also, now I got to go have a look at it because I just now noticed it appears broke right below the flower!
Yes, this weather is terrific,except the no rain here part! I've already been out and swept the driveway and got the hitch put on the hitch receiver of the Durango. I must take this trailer of trash to the landfill, so I can get all the mulch I want. Dangit! Stuff ain't gonna do itself!

You like mints too eh, birder?! I have a big rectangular planter outside full of all kinds of mints. I thought none were hardy but I double checked their labels to be sure and Grapefruit Mint is hardy to zone 4!
What's even as good is it's the prettiest one of them all, well, except this one called Polka Dot Plant, it has a real pretty leaf, but as far as I know, it doesn't flower, but the Grapefruit Mint has a pretty lavender/purple flower that kinda resembles Caryopteris, Caryopteris is nicer though, it has more overall flowers. In the Grapefruit mint's defense tho, mine were tiny plants, the Caryopteris I've seen may have been mature. The Grapefruit Mint tho attracted bugs to the flowers all the time, every time I looked at it there was a bug on it, okay, maybe half the time, but still that's alot, I look all the time!! I also have Sage and Basil, I'd overwinter mine too but my overwintering is all fulled up! I have houseplants now that I don't know what to do with, but I always find something to do with them, even if they have to languish over the Winter. Yeah, sometimes I'd just run my hands thru them all for the strong smell that was real nice!

Yeah, I love the Fall specials at Lowes too. What I do if I have to, is call stores all around to find something, here in metro KC there is quite a few to visit if I must.

Your Sedum disappeared, birder? A friend of mine had a big, nice hanging pot of something stolen right off her porch this year!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8840890

I'm late looking this year, but does anyone know of any bulb sales/co-ops going on? I'm wanting to get some more Oriental, Asiatic and Daylilies.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8840999

Hi Crit! The only bulb company that I am familiar with that has been good to me is Brecks. They put out this $25 free coupon that I jumped on and got 6 Lily Tree bulbs. The first three came in a Spring shipment and they grew and are 1 to 2 feet tall. Overall, I am pleased. I can't really complain because I paid a few cents less than 6 dollars for it all. I used 2 $25 free coupons from them, each order came to $2.94. They were driving hard to the hoop to sell me more stuff but I didn't falter, I stayed strong, I was, "sorry, that's all I can afford", after you say that a couple times they back off, they're just happy about getting rid of stuff I think, even if they have to give it away..lol
So Crit, inquiring minds want to know! How is you're hand? My mind inquires pretty regularly, so I'm speaking for myself there! But, I digress, back to the coupon, it was totally free, not buy $100 get $50 worth of plants!

I got a big ol' load of black dyed mulch. When I told my friend here that, I thought she was going to have a cow, I covered my cheeks in case she swung at my face! Hehe! Not really, but she was none too pleased, hopefully she'll thank me later. I know she wanted Cocoa shell mulch, but this place didn't have it, I really wanted black, it just goes so well with my tropical themed bed there, lava rocks, 'basjoo' Banana Trees, 'Luna Red' Hibiscus, seashells and everything. Altho, I have this feeling in a few years I'm gonna wish it wasn't there, I mean dye in the environment, what was I thinking?! They gave me real big scoops out of their Bobcat, it seriously filled my trailer up! I've had 4 scoops in it before, that wasn't this much, I was thinking, "boy, they must really want to get rid of this stuff". I mean the heaping part in the bucket was about as big as what was in the bucket itself! I was frantically trying to make room between buckets by pushing the pile down to the corners, some still spilled over but not much.

Have you ever seen a big (old) area rug used as weed-block?! This rug was around 15 years old and it was filthy. I took it up off the living room floor the other day, and boy was it ever filthy and stinky! I asked my friend because it's hers, but she agreed, "throw it away", so, it became weed block! It was a nice rug back in the day, the price was on the back still, $50. But, actually, I'm not big on having area rugs all over a house, there is no shortage of area rugs to use as weed-block, believe me! My friend agrees, she's letting go of quite a few rugs that have been around forever and really have no use. You can see it in the photo, I haven't yet covered it all the way up. I won't get too descriptive but cats had been hacking up hairballs on it and going to the bathroom on it for many, many, years!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8841002

Here it is piled in my trailer! That trailer doesn't look like much, but it can haul!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8841190

Crit, try here: http://www.sunshineflowerbulb.com/. There are a few others I know of too that I will check into here in minute.

Will, nice load of mulch!

I've been limping around yesterday and today. I hit my knee on one of our metal carts yesterday at work and bruised it pretty bad. It would take me close to 10 minutes to get to the front of the store because I could barel walk. Knee swelled up pretty bad yesterday but today is almost back to normal. I'm still limping at times and have a hard time walking if I cross my legs or even just sit for awhile. But hopefully by Monday it will quit hurting!! lol

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8841196

www.touchofnature.com is a good one. They are a Garden Watchdog Top 5 and I've done business with them before. Great sized bulbs.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8841220

That's who it was pepper!!!! Touch of Nature. That's where I got some last year. I ordered through a co-op and that is where they came from. Thanks!

WOW ... hope that knee gets better. Hate it when stuff like metal carts jump out in front of me. Something like that is always happening to me. UGH

Will ... the hand is doing better. Thanks for asking. The scar is barely noticable. Still no feeling in it though. Dr. said it will probably take about 4 months before we know if the nerves are going to meet up. Keep up te prayers. It is still swollen some, and I have a bump on the side of my knuckle. It tingles when I rub it. I have a post-surgery appointment on Oct. 12th. He said he would try to have a piece like the conduit they put in my finger to show me.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8841332

Thanks Pepper, I got my money's worth in mulch, $68.60, but I think it was okay.
Glad to hear you're hand is doing better, Crit. I bet you get the feeling back in time, I think thats all nerve damage takes to heal is time, and prayers too.
I think that 'Black Knight' Butterfly Bush from you Pepper might be trying to sprout at the base. I'll get a photo of it tomorrow, it sure looks like the foliage of a Butterfly Bush. I've had weeds come up in pots before and this don't look like no steenking weed! That would be nice if it really is, only time will tell!

Thanks for suggesting Ostrich Fern in the shade garden, Pepper. I looked back and then it hit me, I meant to say thanks! I might just put Ostrich Fern in the back of that shade garden, I am still needing tall stuff in the back. We have some Ostrich Fern in other places and it always seems to get broke by wind or something. If it would stay tall, that would be sweet. I put those 2 Ligularia 'Midnight Lady's from you back there, but I want more stuff. In this photo, you can see the shade garden a little but not much. Yeah, ouch, Pepper, hope the knee gets to feeling better.

How about this big ol' black plastic edging part?! I plan to get my mulch on in a big way this Fall! That's just half of it in the backyard that's getting the mulch treatment! I'm thinking that back there will get loads of cedar mulch. By the other half, I mean back by the watergarden and all that planting that I've been doing. I tell you, mass mulching has got to be the cheapest, yet best way to turn an unorganized yard around! Not to mention the lawnmowing gets cut way down!

Have you ever seen Vinca Minor go up a Mimosa Tree like that?! See the 3 'Purple Prince' Lily Trees in the sun, by the bricks? There is a big screen thing in the house I am thinking about putting by those Lily Trees, I need something there to tie them to in high wind to keep them from getting broke. There may not be much purple in 'Purple Prince' but by gosh they are my Lily Trees! Growing up that black pole/former futon frame all in concrete is a glorious Honeysuckle or Trumpet vine of some sort. Growing up that clothesline post, (not that tall yet) is a small Wisteria. Speaking of that Wisteria, it was cut down by some guy that my friend hired to cut the grass or something years ago. This guy musta been asleep or something, it was a mature Wisteria when he cut it down, it may have even been flowering, when my friend saw that she was dumbfounded, she couldn't believe he'd do that. And it takes 7 years they say from seedling to flowering for Wisteria, so the wait is back on! See that big Bush Honeysuckle back there by the steps? My friend says she just loves that bush! I keep a wary eye on it! It is gonna provide a bit of screen for under the deck I suppose! I'm gonna try to straighten up those 2 clothesline posts, they both lean, I doubt if they're in concrete.

Haha, guess what?! I have Italian Cypress seedlings AND Japanese Black Pine seedlings coming up in some pots I have. I know the Italian Cypress isn't hardy here, but my brother got a job outside of L.A. so I'm gonna see if I can send them some, I also have a friend in Orlando, Fla., I'll send her some too. These are from seeds that I got from Seedrack.com. I was grousing earlier, several months ago, that I didn't know they still needed a period of cold stratification, so I put them in the fridge and planted them about 2 months ago and here they are in all their glory!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8841359

Will, you could probably cut that bush honeysuckle down every fall to about a foot or two and you would never know the difference by summer. lol. Might be the best way to manage it and still keep your friend happy. Or else find a bush with similar "good" qualities and plant it instead. lol. Yard is really shaping up!!

Knee is better, thanks. Yesterday I couldn't hardly walk and today I could walk with just a limp here and there. I still have a hard time getting down on the floor and it hurts to really bend it but considering yesterday I couldn't do that at all that is a major improvement. I hit it when I was trying to get on top of a pallet of flour and I didn't realize the cart I was using was so close when I jumped up there. I've got a bruise that keeps getting bigger!! LOL. Biofreeze has been my friend these last couple days. lol
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8842554

Yard is really looking good Will!!!!

Yes, nerves grow very slowly, like 1/4" monrh. Doc said it should take about 4 months for them to meet up, but as I figure it if there are 2 ends growing 1/4" a month, that is 1/2" of growth a month and it should only take 2 months. But then again, I may be dreaming. lol We'll see what he says on Wednesday.

Hey, did you know if you have your fingers on the wrong keys when typing DOC you get SOX? LOL

Glad you are feeling better pepper. Don't overdo it. Let it heal.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8842668

It's alot better today. I managed to dig up my sweet potatoes without hurting my knee. It only hurt when I sat down to dug around a clump. I mananged to get almost a bucket full today!! I'm excited!! I have enough to last us awhile. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8843154

Will,
Laughing! Yep, you record like heck! ''Avatar'' was an exellent movie! Now I love "Tangled"

I have not made it to Facebook yet. I run out of time right now. Your's is better than a lot of pictures I see. Half a face or blurry. Now why do people post those? The half face isn't art.

Happ,
Fall Fever is just like Spring Fever. There are days you just need to enjoy without working. Somehow it gets done. Maybe not this year... But when you work, how do you even have time to make a meal?

ImaMes!!
Glad to see you! My little Oakleaf Hydrangea is turning a gorgeous red. I put the bunny protector back on it so they don't eat it up this Fall. I was just thinking about you as I was looking at my iris and rocks yesterday.

Will,
The Blue Flag like water so they could go in your wet area. They also do OK in dry. I just dug some up from the RR tracks this Spring because they were darker than those I already had.

I see a bit of green on the stalk. It will live. It might be more dormant right now. They are on their way out, growing roots, rather than putting out leaves.

I think the Ligularia might need to be pulled back from the wall.

Pepper,
No time to even look or enter :o(

LOVE that picture!!

Hi Birder,
I love both of those flowers but don't have much luck overwintering things. I am going to try mint. At least if the cats eat it, it will freshen their breath, LOL!

Oh, do Preen!! Awesome deal on the heucheras! It sounds like you've had a lot of different things to do this Summer.

Crit's finger? What happened?

Will,
I grew my own muskmelon this year and plan on continuing. I saved seed in case the old I'm using gives out. It's an heirloom so it should seed true. But it's awful to die from eating!

You might have to invest in a large, hard plastic tub for the bamboo. It would last a lot longer and Walmart has fairly cheap ones. Plus they have a nice lip that would be a good handhold for lifting it out of the hole if the need arises. They're colorful too!

The vine looks great!

Birder,
I don't trust people either. That's why if we do have to hire, we hire local. We should anyway.

ImaMes,
I'm jealous of her penta hedge!! It must be just beautiful!

Will,
That's a nice selection! They all look healthy and ready to go.

People around here get that for mowing, with a rider and not much trimming. I'd say the couple were worth it!

Oh dear, I'm ashamed to say I had forgotten about that. I sure do hope Crit came out OK! Dang!

Beautiful bloom! Yes it's broke, but look what you have to look forward to next year!

Hi Crit!
How IS your hand? Absolutely, more prayers coming!!

Will, smiling. Next time you see the coco mulch, get a small bag and mulch the houseplants for her :o)

I have no idea what kind of dye they use, but it sure washes out easily enough.

I use the small kitchen rugs. I laid it color side up till it became worn and dirty, then I flipped it to the jute side. I don't cover mine tho. Your's should keep the weeds down for years AND save your mulch!

Nice load of mulch!

Pepper,
Awww, I'm sorry about your knee. I have little bruises all over, but none that bad :o(

Will, we haven't seen the porch since you wanted to attach the planter box to it.

Whooee, you sure did get a lot planted here and there! It's going to look real nice when it all grows up.

Pretty suspicious, him ''just happening'' to cut the wisteria down.

The honeysuckle can be trimmed back. I'd watch for it to try thicketing. I don't know if they do, but I know they can invade a timber.

Awesome on the tree sedlings!

Crit,
I sure hope the feeling comes back. I'll bet it does. Praying anyway!

LOL, I hunt and peck since I can't type the right way. I have to look at the keys.

Pepper,
Let us know how they taste. I may have to try them sometime. I like them better than squash. Unless it's sweet flavored potato squash.

Well, time is running out on me again. I sure hope I'm caught up on my major threads. I don't like to get behind.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8843184

So good to hear from you again billyp. Don't stay away so long.

I see the surgeon on Wednesday for my follow up appointment. Praying everything is going the way it should and the nerves are growing together properly. Thanks for your prayers.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2011 11:53 AM

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8843495

Here is that Wisteria back in it's glory days! That's the same clothesline-post as in the earlier photo up there. See how small the Wisteria is now, you can barely see it, the moron guy cut it to the ground.
Behind it though is the big Trumpet Vine that I had to sever to get rid of those 2 delapidated privacy fence segments, they were about to collapse. It is now growing up that futon frame thing that I made. My friend wasn't amused that I cut that down, I remember she gave me a pretty good tongue lashing!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011

Post #8843496

Thanks, I hope the yard takes shape pretty soon! It would be nice to be mostly done before it snows! I hope you're knee is feeling better, Pepper. My Mom had knee replacement surgery last year, we DO want to take care of our knees.

Hahah Crit! You know, your not supposed to type in the dark!
Crit, you don't stay away so long either, how dare you injure your hand!

Oh, if I cut that Honeysuckle down to a foot or two she'd know, she'd be saying, "what did you do to my Honeysuckle?!"! Haha! Seriously though, not a bad idea, I cut it all the way to the ground about 2 years ago, it comes back in a big way! If you don't get the roots of it, it's like Bamboo, "see ya soon sucka!"!

I rarely get to Facebook either. I went there recently because my brother in TX and his wife had a newborn child last week and they put the first photo on Facebook so I went on there and copied the photo to send it to some other family members that didn't have Facebook.

Here is a Praying Mantis! That thing is still on the window, I guess she or he likes it there!

Yeah, that Wisteria cutter guy was suspicious! This was in 2007, the retired, disabled lady was here but she was going totally blind about that time. The guy wasn't right or something, I bet he had a flask of whiskey or gin on him!
I got photos of it back when it was flowering back in 05', it was really pretty, my friend loved it, I'll post a photo of it in the next post.
Dang billyp, you did you some writing this morning!

Thanks, I think I'll get 3 or 4 bags of coco mulch to do the shade garden,she'd like that.

Oh, I got rugs to use as weed-block!

I watch that Honeysuckle Bush closely, I hope it doesn't try to venture out!
Will

This message was edited Oct 10, 2011 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011

Post #8843500

Rugs you say?! And this is probably half of what I can come up with! Even that big water heater box is going in there somewhere! See my big scallop seashell!? I got many more boxes and cardboard pieces to add too!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8843502

Okay that old Wisteria posted before the one below it, my bad! : )
Will
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8843555

Will, be careful with where you put the black mulch. I was reading a thread where others talked about it, and because it is black and drays heat, it fried their plants roots to death. Just a little warning. In the shade would be ok.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8843612

Hmmm.. I never thought about that, I definitely don't want to do that to the roots. I'm hoping it doesn't get quite that hot in KC, plus I water alot, maybe that'll help cool down the roots. I don't want to fry my "tropical spot"s plant's roots! And I originally had plans to use the black mulch in the shade, oh dear, what have I done?! Thanks Crit. I hope that doesn't turn out to be a problem or I'm in trouble on top of getting dye mulch!
Will

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8843614

I almost forgot to get a shot of my 'Black Knight' Butterfly Bush from Pepper. I wasn't sure this plant made it, but all indications are it is coming back from the base, yippee, I do like some 'Black Knight' Butterfly Bush. The 'Nahno' is leafing all over, I never had any worries about it. How about my 'Catawba' Grape next to it?! It was an Oct. special from Lowes last year, now I just need to find a place to plant it before the serious cold hits. There's another Grape next to it, they were half that $7.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8843633

After all the high winds I was forever getting the leaves out of the water garden. You can't let them rot in there or they will kill the fish. What a pain! After I was done I put the screen over it and added some clean water. Probably froze the fish to death since it was well water, it gets a little cold. One chore done 50 million left to do.

Darn I meant to take a pic of the pergola post that are up. Hope I don't forget to do that. I want to do progress pictures.

Went to Home depot last night and managed not to buy a thing...yes!

No more black much for me, I have too many trees and leaves. With natural color you don't notice the leaves so bad, with black they shine...rofl.

Finally some rain, hope I got some at home cause I sure needed it. Pepper did you plant alot of sweet potatoes? I need to get dirt hauled in so I can get it mixed with other stuff this winter so I will have good beds for next summer. We used the post hole digger on the back of the tractor and I have quite alot of good dirt, but then it is just pure pure clay. I am sure you could make pottery.

Have a great day, and hope you are feeling better Pepper.

Oh yeah, Billyp, I eat on the way home (fast food I know it is good) if I know I have a lot to do in an evening. Otherwise I eat at dark, DH eats way early in the evening long before I get home. He has learned to cook since he retired, it is called survival...lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8843641

So I think I cross posted with everyone..rofl.

Will I used black mulch in the shade, having said that I would be careful about putting it in the sun, don't forget we get over 100 most years, hopefully no more stupid years like this one tho. I can tell you I used a little bit on the east side and I think they may have a point about the heat. Remember tropicals like it hot and some the hotter the better, just depends on what tropical you are talking about. I rooted plumerias on the driveway concrete during this summer, I believe the hotter the better for them.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8843868

I planned ahead on the leaves and the waterpond, for once I made a good decision! You're not kidding happ! The fallen leaves really stick out on this black mulch, that looks terrible. I got a poly leaf rake so I'm hoping I can get most of the leaves up and not a whole lot of the mulch. The "tropicals" I have in there are so far - 4 Banana 'basjoo's and 2 'Luna Red' Hibiscus, hopefully they'll be okay with it if it heats up alot. Now, if I could just get a hardy enuff palm tree!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011

Post #8844091

Here is some info on some hardy palm trees. It gives an estimate on how cold they can handle it.

http://www.sunpalmtrees.com/Cold-Hardy-Palm-Trees.htm

http://landscaping.about.com/od/treesshrubs/a/type_palm_trees.htm

Knee is feeling much better, thanks!! I did bang it on the register table today which had me limping again for awhile but it finally quit hurting as long as nothing touched it. lol.

Will, I wonder if you can switch out the honeysuckle with Fothergilla. LOL. Still a fast grower but not invasive!! And great scent and white blooms!! Just grow it in a big pot for a year or two til it reaches a good enough size to go in there as the replacement. lol. Think she will notice soon enough to stop you or maybe you would get lucky and she like the fothergilla even more. lol

Happ, my sweet potato plant came in a 4 inch pot and vined out to take over almost half of my garden. Everywhere the vine lands and roots it creates a potato. Some were really small, skinnier than a finger, and others were like what you buy at the store. And when it escaped it's boundaries we just mowed the excess vines off and it never batted an eye. It's vines and flowers look just like morning glories. I grew 'Beauregard' and they are good!!

I was gonna post a pic of the sweet potato vines but can't find a good pic of them.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8844437

Thanks for the links and ideas on something to replace that Bush Honeysuckle Pepper, Fothergilla eh? I'll look into that, thanks. Glad to hear you're knee is on the mend too.

Let's see a pic of that Pergola, happ!

I might just try Windmill Palm too for grins! I have some that might yet grow from seed after they get cold stratification this Winter in the unheated garage. They were part of the seed shipment from seedrack that I kinda feel duped on. I wish they (Seedrack) would stress more the importance of needing stratification first. The Windmill Palm seeds were planted unfortunately BEFORE I realized what was going on. The only seeds from that shipment that didn't get planted this Spring from that shipment were the Italian Cypress and the Japanese Black Pine seeds, which are coming up now because I put them in the refrigerator in March, like they shoulda all been if I realized it first. Some of them apparently didn't need stratification first, but it was only the Hollyhocks. Without the stratification, I bet alot of customers are just throwing their money away. I don't know what Seedrack is thinking, in the long-run I think it would be best for business to tell that in a big way, or else stratify them BEFORE they ship them. Sure it means people got to wait longer but overall I'd think there'd be more satisfied customers. I'd make a review in Watchdog but I think a good deal of those reviews are tainted by everybody's competition. Look at alot of the negative reviews sometime and then look at the date of that member's signup, in alot of the negative reviews the signup date is the same date as the review (or close), it's like they signed up specifically to discredit that company, what kind of a real review would do that?
All the rest I'll bring into the unheated garage and HOPE they'll sprout next year, California Fan Palms, Water Lotus, Venus Flytrap, Joshua Tree, Louisiana Palmetto and Dwarf Pomegranate, those are just the ones on the top of my head, I'm sure there's more. If I get lucky the Windmill Palms or Louisiana Palmetto will sprout next year and I can plant one or two in the "tropical spot" and start the possibility of a "Missouri Miracle" of a Palm tree in KC! I'll send the CA. Fan Palms to my brother in Orange County, CA. I think those are the tall ones you see all over L.A. (Beverly Hills too).

Thanks billyp, I hope it all turns out nice with all the planting that I've been doing and other landscaping. Yeah, that ol' rectangular planter box, yeah, not putting it on the deck's side, (my friend poo-poo'ed it).
I might put it in the front yard, it's still empty.

Hehe! I'll get coco mulch going somewhere for her! I'm a bit curious about this smelling like chocolate when wet myself. I eat Chocolate Cheerios for breakfast every morning!

Yes, it is so awesome that the Italian Cypress and the Japanese Black Pine came up! The Japanese Black Pine is zone 5 I believe, it will make a fine addition to the waterpond, maybe lend to a Japanese Garden look, unfortunately, eventually it will be too big, then I won't know what to do again! I have many seedlings coming up though and they say it's an excellent tree to learn Bonsai on, so I might do that as well. Does anybody want to try to do Bonsai too, I'll send you a Japanese Black Pine seedling, or if you just want one I'll send you one. I think an Italian Cypress (it says their zone 7) would look stunning by your pool, Crit, can I send you one? It would have to be in the ground in zone 7 I think.
Will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8844777

Crit, I won't! It takes way too long to catch up.

Well, I sure hope it's good news about your hand. I can't believe I forgot all about it :o(

Will, what a pretty wisteria and a shame he cut it down. I can't believe he killed it. I thought they were too tough.

I see no other way to have gotten the fencing out of there, and at least you replanted it.

Oh I know. That was a terrible long post!

Love the mantis and the robin on the fence :o)

I had a mantis last time I mowed. It turned it's head as I moved to each side for a picture. I am also seeing the last few robins, but they'll be gone soon too :o(

Well, it's as good a place as any to get rid of rugs! They'll block weeds for a long time. So will the cardboard.

Seashell and tropical. You'll trade your milkshake for a Pina Colada, LOL!

Good half price on the grapes. By taking cuttings, or just scraping and pinning to a pot of dirt, you can increase your grapes in the Spring.

Yep, the butterfly bush growth is much bigger than in the last picture.

Happ, grinning over the cold well water. Cold it is!! Always do the tough chores, first, too.

I wish a person could post more than one picture at a time here. Then we could enjoy your progress pictures all at once.

I call it ''fending for yourself '' :o) My DH is good at it too.

Oh Pepper, ouch! I hope it heals fast. Nothing worse than having to limp along.

Hmm, you just about have me sold on Fothergilla. It's been on my research list for a while now.

Will, you really try growing a lot of unusual things! I hope your trees sprout, and heck, why not try a palm!

I accomplished a lot yesterday and it was the bed that was going to take the longest to re-do. The ground is really sandy and it was rock hard! I wonder if that's why some of the Harry lauder branches died back this year. I had a heck of a time digging the asters out and they are shallow rooted. Needless to say, I brought good dirt over to replant them, and the tulips in. And...I got the tulips out of the garden. Another job done! Well, almost, but what is left is all one color so smooth sailing on those! National Yardwork month is going well!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8845377

Crit - Sorry about your hand. Glad it's healing. I haven't been on DG for a few months because of back problems so I don't know what happened, but I'll be praying!

Pepper - Ouch! Hope your knee gets better soon.

Billy - I have another rock for you, but not sure when I can get it to you. The irises you gave me were sooo pretty this Spring!

Happ - I'm another vote for the pergola pic! LOL

Will - I agree with Billy, you sure try to grow some unusual things. That's great!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8845691

Haha! I like to call it exotic! But, I agree, I always have tried to grow the unusual and sometimes no possibility of even planting it here! I kinda look at it like "at least I can have it in the house until it reaches the ceiling!"!
I could send a Joshua Tree and California Fan Palm to my brother in CA. But that would be so neat to have a Dwarf Pomegranate, (maybe several) in a big patio pot and it'd be cheap, from seeds.
Here is 1 of my 2 pots of Italian Cypress in the photo, there is at least 2 sprouted in the photo.

Haha! billyp's National Yardwork Month is on track!

Doesn't Fothergilla sound like a good plant to have?!

I was out there tonite laying out more weedblock rugs!

I'd sure like to multiply those Grapes to have a little wanna-be backyard vineyard, thanks for the ideas! There's a house on the street over that has all the yard in grape vines, they make wine, I bought a bottle of it from the store to give to a friend as a visiting from Florida gift, she liked the hometown wine. They set them out on display at the store so people's jackets will knock them all over in the store and break them, then they have to buy them and they can say they sell alot! Not me, I pulled my jacket in and walked around carefully, haha, you should've seen them watch!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8845693

Japanese Black Pine seedlings anyone? If anybody wants one or an Italian Cypress, I can put it in an envelope now with just a stamp, I got a stamp covered, no big thing. There is 5 seedlings here poked out, I expect by the end of the month there will be many more. Does anyone want a Japanese Black Pine seedling to do Bonsai with? That's fallen leaves from the milkshake Mimosa tree in the pots!

Haha! National Yardwork Month is going good for billyp!

Ouch, I hope your back problems alleviate, Ima.

Thanks Pepper, I looked at their offerings of "hardy" palm trees, one that comes close but not really close enuff is the Windmill Palm, that'll prolly be the one I try.

I will trade a milkshake for a Pina' Colada!

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8845930

52°/73° Through 11am: Low clouds, fog and poor visibility conditions will improve around 7am. Mostly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the mid 60s. Winds light and variable. Showers this morning then scattered thunderstorms developing during the afternoon hours. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%

So far I see the moon, stars and lights in the country, LOL! I do believe it will rain tho so I am almost ready to get out and plant tulips. I've really been getting a lot done and thankfully, got all the oriental lilies out of the pots and back in the ground. I also managed to move two smaller ones from the back of the bed to the side. Things just fell into place yesterday.

ImaMes, that's too bad about your back. It's hard to get anything done, not to mention the pain. I hope it's better now.

I sure love the rocks you already brought, so anticipating a new one will be nice!

I'm glad! I sent the little ones but I don't remember off hand what the rest were, LOL! I know I wrote it down...

I dug and divided all the little ones this year. I replanted all of them, but next year will redo them and give some away. My neighbor, who gave them to me in the first place, lost a few so she'll be able to get those back from me. But, next spring should be great color from them and I can't wait.! Who needs Christmas when spring brings favorite flowers? LOL!

Will, if I go into Hallmark or get near a display, I too pull the coat tight. I'm not breaking anything!!

Awww, what cute little cypresses! I can see them in tall pots in the house. That would look neat!

A person can never have too many grapes. I have 6 vines myself and want to get a piece started from Dad's. He got his from his Dad and they are the largest Concords I've seen. A friend who bought an old house in town also has them, and it's as old a vine as Dad's. My new Concords are large, but not huge. At least they are as sweet.

The black pines look good too. It sure will be a while before they get any size to them, but they look like they will make it.

Let me know how it tastes. I've never had a Pina Colada in my life :o)

Day break!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8846159

It's funny, I printed the weather from wunderground last nite before bed, it says a 10% chance of rain tonite (last nite), my friend likes to know the weather for work, it thundered so loud it woke me up!
Oh, the last 2 days, especially last nite, we got plenty of rain, we needed it!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I was a hero a couple days ago! I am very humble you know and I've NEVER told a life-story! So, the nite-time aide left here at 3:15am, I just happened to be awake and looking out the window to see if her ride was here. To my shock, she went walking up the street, she was walking home at that time of nite! I don't even walk at that time of nite and she's a 23 year old girl! Not that age matters, nobody should be out at that time of nite, walking. Anyway, I immediately told my friend here and she says "do you want to go get her or do you want me to?". I said I would. This girl walks fast she was like a quarter mile away when I got to her.

I wasn't nasty or anything to her, I told her she doesn't have to do that just because it's late. She said she has car trouble and her phone was dead that day. I told her the only people out at this time of nite are drunks and cops and the cops aren't always around. I didn't tell her this, but I'm sure she knows, there are stories like this where ladies are abducted and never seen again. My friend being the kind and helpful person that she is loaned her an suv of hers that she wasn't driving. Haha! Being the photog that I am, I have taken pictures of the car inside and out, just in case! I did this on my own accord, I do that on motel rooms and rental cars too. It's a nice suv, a 2003 Dodge Durango, it's in that "after" photo way up there.

Oh, billyp, those Cypresses are still outside, I figure they won't need to come in for a couple weeks or so, thanks, aren't they cute?!

I hope they grow good and make many good grapes. I'd like seedless grape plants but as far as I know they don't sell them cheap.

I've never had a Pina Colada either, but with a name like that it has to be oood!

I just heard on Regis and Kelly that Iowa has 6 pigs for every human! Is that really so?!

Haha, don't those Japanese Black Pine seedlings looks like little newborns, they're all curled up and stuff!

Here's the loaner! How do you like what I did to the license plate?! I kid my friend, "how you gonna loan somebody a car with expired tags?"! She said she was gonna renew it online real soon.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8846196

Never had a pina colada?! Pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and rum. Yum!

Will - Exotic. That sounds much better than unusual. LOL

I like what you did with the license plate. What program did you use to do that?

Billy - Thanks. I'm in physical therapy twice a week right now and Dr. says it'll be 6 months to a year before I'm back to normal. So I need to be patient. :-P

I don't remember what the names were of the ones you gave me. I had them all marked, but most of the names rubbed off over the winter or they got raked up when we raked the leaves last Spring. Oh well... A couple of the markers that were still there were 'Music' and 'Chubby Cheeks'. Those are two that I remember seeing anyway. They were so pretty!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8846260

Yummy, I have an unopened bottle of Bacardi that somebody gave me in 1999 when I was unemployed another time, maybe I'll have a Pina Colada with it! I'm just under-employed now, I don't think I need to drink the rum straight!

Hi Ima, the program was Paint Shop Pro 7> rectangle selection (on the license plate) then effects then warp. Paint Shop Pro is like the poorman's PhotoShop haha!

My Mom tells me physical therapy sucks, she says they are harsh in that in some places. My Mom says they don't give you any pain relief when you need it and they're verbally abusive. She left one facility because of it. She had just had knee replacement surgery and it was like they didn't care.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8846545

HI all.
I used one of those rugs that you're suppose to scrape mud from your shoes. It became kind of rotten. I put it in my garden. It was tan so blended right in. It is now "compost, but certainly kept the weeds out for awhile.

My Heucheras are doing really well. I have had to water them. We are quite dry here, but the weather has been absolutely gorgeous, so, I am not going to complain about a little watering!

Did someone say Pina Coladas?? Mmmmm. I really like them. They are kind of fattening though, so I don't partake very often. Everyone should have one PC! I make a virgin Pina Colada that's pretty tasty and not as fattening. I use Diet Mt. Dew with crushed ice, add some Coconut Sugar Free Syrup, some crushed pineapple. Stir. Add 1/2 cup of low fat ice cream, Mix. Yum. Sometimes, I use the blender.

No one should have to deal with a PT that is mean. I have gone several times. I go to the same one each time, and she is very kind, good, and understanding. Ima, I think back pain is the very worst,. Hope it heals quickly.

Glad the finger is healing, Crit. It may take six months before the feeling comes back.

Good for you Will and your friend for looking out for the young woman. It's called "Pass It On"!

BP: "I planted all the little ones this year" What did you plant? Just curious.

I planted some large Allium about three weeks ago. I love them. They are so cool. This one is suppose to multiply. I hope it does.
I have lots of tulips to plant. Hubby dug them up this summer after they turned brown. I also bought some "early" tulips a couple of days ago. "Purple Prince" and "Purrissima" (white). They are suppose to bloom at the same time. I get soooo anxious to see something blooming in the spring. Bulbs are practically sold out in some local stores. Not many even carry bulbs. Sam's did not have bulbs this year. :(
I saw my hummer this morning at the feeder while eating breakfast. They usually leave October 10. Every extra day of pretty weather, and seeing hummers at this point is special!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8846572

I forgot to show you my Marconi Pepper! They are tasty!

Thumbnail by birder17

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8846576

One more picture. What is this plant? What do you know about it? I bought it at Lowe's this June. and it has been a real champ. I like it so well, I want to purchase it again or over winter this one. Please tell me what you know.

Thumbnail by birder17

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8846764

Will, I've never HEARD of chocolate cheerio's. I bet they are good!!!! My DH eats cheerio's at least once a day. Sometimes more, even for a snack.

We have a tropical place here that has 4 huge palms in front of their place. I think they are Sago Palms. I'm sure they have to wrap them or something. There is a house here in SS that have 6 LARGE banana trees in their front yard. They would HAVE to wrap those up good in the winter. They are too large to dig and bring in. They are as tall as the roof.

Ima...condensed of what happened to my middle finger on right hand. Bungee cord strap, lost hold of it, whipped around and the hook part ripped my finger open. Got 11 stitches and because of numbness saw a hand specialist the next week, had to have surgery. 3/4" of my nerve was gone. Put in a little conduit and placed each end of the nerve it with the plan that they will grow together and give me feeling again.

Saw the hand surgeon today. He had me close my eyes and swept my finger with a little soft brush and also a semi sharp thing that looked like a nail. He said I was getting a little feeling towards the end of my finger. PRAISE GOD!!! He said it seems to be coming along very well. I have an appointment in 6 weeks and he thinks the feeling should of started returning pretty good by then. YIPPPPPEEEEEE Such good news. Still a little swollen. He gave me some putty and exercises to do to try to get the swelling down and everything built back up. He showed me some pictures that were taken during surgery of my finger all laid open and where the nerve endings were, then another one with the pice of conduit stitched in place. It was really awesome to see them! The conduit will eventually dissolve and be absorbed by my body. Again I say THANK YOU GOD!!!!

Pepper...I order you to stop hurting yourself! (and I'll try too ^_^)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8846782

LOL!! Crit, that is so much easier said than done!!! I can turn around and smack a wall that I will swear up and down was not that close to me before. lol

Birder, I answered on the other post. The white is kinda washed out so hard to tell for sure but I am pretty sure they are snapdragons. Supposed to be an annual but mine come back every year.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8846803

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, pina colada's are yummmm-mmmmmy!!!!!

So sorry to hear about the bad physical therpy. I use to be a physical therapy aide. I loved it and the people that we treated. I've also been to physical therapy and the last one I had is just terrific. Really nice and they really empathize with you.

Guess it is good that October is national yardwork month! I'm going to have some work ahead of me. One of my horses got colic so I put her in the back yard to keep and eye on her. She was rolling trying to get some relief. She got into the chicken wire I had around some plants on the side fence. The plants are torn up, but I think they will come back. Hope the amarylis will be ok. SHe has wallered holes and torn up the grass and dirt all over the backyard. I had set up a new lily bed and she walked through the little green fence I had around it. lol I'm just glad she didn't hurt anything there. She's doing better today, not rolling anymore. I saddle one of the horses and lead her on walks for about 20 minutes or so several times a day. I hope she passes whatever has her blocked. She still isn't eating but she is starting to drink well. I just hope she didn't twist a
gut with all the rolling she did. That is fatal with nothing that can be done.

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8846805

Snap dragons re-seed, but I've had them come back from the original plant too.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8846865

It's not a snapdragon. The flowers are smaller, more open, and leaves smaller than snapdragons.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8846932

Can you take a better pic tomorrow? The sun washed out the blooms. I have a couple others in mind but need a better pic.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8846957

Haha! My friend says I'm exotic, but what could possibly be exotic about me?! Yeah, maybe exotic is better than unusual, lets not get that confused with a non-native plant, I've heard them called exotic too! lol Thanks birder, we'd glad to help her, my friend really thinks highly of the aides here who do a good job helping her take care of her Mom. Right now, the Mom is yelling at the top of her lungs for Vicks to be put on her nose. My poor friend works all day then comes home and her Mom yells for her all nite, even while the daughter tries to sleep.

Oh, Chocolate Cheerios ARE good! Those 6 large Banana Trees there I'd think would have to be 'basjoo's. I don't think other varieties and especially regular Banana plants would survive under 45° or so even wrapped! It would be a nice sight to see though, I think tropical settings in colder climes are so cool. But, I'm not that familiar with all the Banana plants, I've been wrong before!
Glad to hear your finger is coming along, Crit.

Oh, some people I think get all nuts and dig up big Banana's and overwinter them. I visited this one guy of samoan descent, he said they reminded him of home, I think is kinda why he did all the digging.
I asked him, "isn't that a pain to dig them every year?". He says no, they only go down about 6 or 8 inches, that you just need to get the corm, please don't quote me on that, I didn't say it! lol

Oak Galls anybody?! They are on nearly all our Pin Oak leaves. My friend asked me what that was, I told her I thought Oak Gall and that it's harmless.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8847129

58°/67° Windy with a few showers early then partly cloudy for the afternoon. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Will,
Laughing over the thunder!

It's lucky for the aide that you saw her. I wouldn't like to have to walk home in this day and age.

Your friend IS very generous and I'm sure the girl was overwhelmed by her kindness. That's pretty cool about the plate. Sometimes I post a picture with my house number. I don't like to, but it isn't that hard to find people these days.

We have small hog operations springing up all over. Usually it's three long buildings and they are quietly built, because suddenly, they are just there. Thankfully the only smells we get are from someone spreading liquid manure on fields. The worst is driving by the two turkey buildings on the highway. So, I can believe we have that many pigs. They butcher them at the Tyson plant in Columbus Junction, a town south of here. It was called Rath when I was growing up.

ImaMes,
Pinas sound good!

That is too bad. I remember you've been having trouble with your back for a long time now. It must have really gone out this time :o( I hope they get you back to normal.

Music was one of the more unusual, but very pretty. I haven't ordered any more, but when I redo these next year it will open up some room. I see my neighbor has some new ones already. I need to make sure I don't get the same and we can share when all are overgrown :o)

Will,
ROTFL! Does liquor ever go bad?

That's too bad for your Mom. I think they have to be tough because people will give up if they think they can't take the pain. I'm not doubting your Mom. There are therapists who have no compassion and are just gruff.

Birder,
''Now compost.'' I love things that end up as compost, or can rot on the ground :o)

Oooh, the non fat non alcohol version sounds good!

The ''little ones'' are Schreiner's Lilliput iris. They are about a foot tall and bloom in between the border and bearded. I just love them! I'll post a picture of ''before they were divided.''

I love tulips, but hate planting them, LOL! I had to fill buckets with the dirt I took out, because there is no room to put it in the bed. I too dug these and didn't have to wait till it was cold and rainy for them to be delivered. Which is what usually happens.

Nice pepper! I've never tried growing them before! Do they taste like a green bell pepper or have their own flavor?

That is a very pretty plant. I almost know what it is.

Crit,
Wonderful wonderful news about your finger!

Pepper,
Cracking up over the wall!! I manage to smack my hands going down my own hallway.

I thought maybe snapdragon too, but it was so bushy. It also looked like the bloom was open more. It might be an Angelonia, a summer snapdragon. I hope the link works.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/annual/angelonia/

Crit,
Awesome on you being a PT aide!

I hope your horse passes it too. She's a pretty girl! Hopefully the plants she trompled come back too, but I think they will. Is trompled past tense for trampled? LOL!

Will,
So, you're exotic :o) Pretty cool!

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/selection/tp/hardybanana.htm

I hope this link works too. They look awful long.

Galls fascinated me as a kid. I'd open them and find...nothing!

I got the last of the tulips planted and a daylily moved before the rain yesterday. Unless it warms up a bit later in the week, I'm about done moving things this year.
Today we get the Grandkids. They don't have school. So... busy again :o)

ImaMes,
I don't know if you were on last year, but I have twin Grandkids now. Girl and boy :o) They're 4 months old now and I don't have current pictures.

Lilliputs

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8847130

Lilliputs Chubby Cheeks and Baby Blessed

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8847134

Mary's Lamb

All I have, are ''Sleepy Time'', an all blue self. ''Time To Shine'', a blue with a purple eyespot, ''With Castanets'', vivid yellow and white, ''Hottentot'', a dark purple, ''Music'' is a peach with speckles, "Mary's Lamb'' is white, ''Cat's Eye'' is red and maroon, and ''Chubby Cheeks'', which is a washed out blue. Baby Blessed is a rebloomer.

Thumbnail by billyporter

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8848029

Yes, I think it's Angelonia. I couldn't decide between Angelonia and Nemesia. But isn't Nemesia shorter to the ground and "less snapdragon like"? I have sooo enjoyed this Angelonia. It has survieved the heat and sometimes I would forget to water it and it would be all limp and laying over the flower pot. I would water it and waalaa! It looked as good as new. It has a lovely form. I wish I could keep it over the winter. Sometimes you get a plant that just really does well and then you never get one that quite matches up to the first one. Thank you for the ID.

Crit, so glad to hear about your finger. Your horse is beautiful. I used to have a horse when I was a kid. I loved horses, actually, still do, but it doesn't work too well on my in town "lot".

Ah Ha! Liliputs! I had never heard of them. I thought they would look more like Lilies instead of Iris. I think I am going to have to get some of them! Do you have a source? They are so cute! I am going to do some research on them.

The marconi peppers taste like bell peppers, I think they are a little sweeter and a little milder.
We had our last fried okra last night. We're still getting a few tomatoes----finally! They didn't start producing until September. We grew only heirlooms and they're a little pickier than the hybrids. Tomaotes have to have cooler evening temps, and we just didn't get that until September. Next year, I am planting a couple of hybrids just in case we have another summer like this.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8848063

I know what you mean birdie. That's why I talked DH into buying a house in the country... so I could have my critters again! ^_^

Had to take Frisky to the vet today. She wasn't getting any better. On top of the colic, the top of her leg was all swollen up down to the knee. She either got kicked by one of the other horses, hurt it during her rolling and stuff or a snake bite. Doc said it is still warm enough for them to be out and about but cool enough for them to be 'cranky'. The walking her kept it from getting 'stove up' and stiff so that was a good thing. He treated herr colic, gave her 3 shots, and gave her a drench of mineral oil and water to try and get whatever is blocking her to get loose. She was nibbling on some grass before we left. He sent me home with enough medicine for 6 days. She was running 104* temp instead of 99'ish. I have to give her 2 shots once a day and one shot twice a day. She ate a little feed and hay and drank water after we got home. I tied her out where there was some grass and she nibbled on it too. All good signs!!! So, $300 in vet bills and medicine later she is doing much better. Better than the luck I had with my Polly girl. $500 in vet bills and had to bring her home and bury her. I sure do miss that little fat dog. Please pray for Frisky that she gets all better. Thanks.

This is the link for a Thanksgiving Swap a friend of mine is doing. Swing by and take a look.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224241/#new

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8848458

Birder, yes it is. Nemesia is a good groundcover. I don't have any luck trying to overwinter outdoor plants in the house, but maybe you could root it in water and start with a few babies. I agree about keeping the original because they were so good.

My neighbor got her's from Schreiner's. They don't give good, large pictures of them, but they sure brighten a bed and mutiply well. They are totally cute! I don't seem to have iris borers in them either.

I think the marconis would make a nice stuffed pepper then. I love sweet in a bell.

It took our tomatoes all summer to do well too. We kept them watered.

Crit, very good signs! The colic must be hard to shake without the medicine. I hope the shots work. She has to be hurting a little.

It's so hard to bring them home in a bag.

The swaps are cool but I'm terrible about mailing things out, so I don't ever get into them.

The kids just got up. Breakfast will be early because it's grocery day.

Twins, yesterday.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8848471

Adorable babies billy!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8848871

BP: So, you're saying "yes it is" meaning it IS Angelonia? I don't know why I get Angelonia and Nemesia mixed up. They both have small flowers and rather small stems. I've over wintered my burgs, fuchsias, bougainvillea, mandevella and geraniums in my unheated downstairs basement for years. I have probably done a few others like Verbena but can't really remember. I am going to try the Pentas, Verbenas, and this pretty Angelonia. It's worth a try. I can always toss them out-------which is what I will probably do. :) My biggest problem is not watering them often enough--out of sight---out of mind. I don't have very good luck taking cutitngs. Again, it's probably a lack of water. I plant them and forget about them as they are downstairs. I guess I need to try to just leave water in the bottom of the saucers.

My upstairs windows are already prime real estate for my house plants. I get real interested in my house plants in the winter since there's not much to do outside. I have a beautiful red ivy geranium I am trying to find a home for in the upstairs this year.

I get involved in winter sowing, but I am telling myself not to get too carried away with this activity this year. I am going to try to start a few perennials that I would like to have, but not mess with the annuals. They're less than two bucks for a six pack. It takes my little seedlings too long to get going in the spring. By the time they're ready to plant in the garden, it's so hot, they have to be watered a lot. Usually, we don't have all of our soaker hoses set up in time for the seedlings to make it outside. So, it has become too frustrating for me to mess with the annuals. I love, love, love the tall snapdragons, and they are more costly to purchase, but I am going to just buy them next year. Plus, the tall snapdragons are a little hard to find locally and sell out quickly.

I will check Shreiner's out for the liliputs. It's so nice to have neighbors that like flowers too. My neighbors do well to put in a few petunias each year and maybe a mum in the fall. They also like "meatball" shrubs---to each his own.

Such cute babies! I want some!! (grandkids, that is) I better be careful!! :)

I don't really recommend Marconi peppers for stuffed peppers. You could do it, but they are kind of skinny, and the walls of the peppers are thin. They are mostly for eating fresh or for roasting. I make cabbage rolls instead of stuffed peppers. Mom would always put a couple of stuffed peppers in with the cabbage rolls. I think mostly for flavoring--and they are tasty.

Crit: I sure hope your horse continues to improve. Vet bills can get really expensive. Our little sheltie became quite sickly before she died at 15 years. The vet bills were costly. Keep us posted.

I found my Sedum 'Neon". It is happily growing in three locations under my beautyberry. It's diameter is quite large and loaded with pretty fuchsia berries. I am surprised the sedum is making it in full shade. Is it too late to move the sedum? Or should I just wait until next spring? I planted it near the beautyberry to echo the fuchsia berries. The mockingbird was in the shrub sampling the berries yesterday.

I think we will plant our tulips this weekend.

Birdie

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8849230

Birder, sedum will grow and bloom anywhere. lol
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8849701

Thanks pepper, but is it too late to move at this time of year? Weather here is suppose to turn cooler Tuesday.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8850262

Nope. The ground will still be warm. Just put a light layer of mulch or straw on it to help it maybe but it's so hardy that I doubt it's needed.

Went to Warsaw today. Heritage Days festival was going on and it was such a blast!! Lots of people doing stuff the way they did back then, and lots of volunteers dressed up too. Saw lots of Amish people and enjoyed a bluegrass group who's name I can't remember. I'll get it tomorrow. Pics coming tomorrow too. Only bad thing was there was soooooo many people there!!! Good thing too but still!! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8850671

Thanks Crit!!

Birder,
Yes, I sure think it's Angelonia. I'd try to overwinter it. It's a fine looking bushy plant!

I miss having a basement sooo much! Especially when we have tornado warnings. We don't even have a good place outside for a shelter. I'd just be happy with a root cellar. Any place I could overwinter plants.

Smiling, maybe my basement envy will cause you to go down everyday now :o)

Arrgggg, I also have tall window with sill envy!! LOL!

I too love the tall snapdragons and have had luck starting them in the house in the spring. I think I got the seed from Thompson and Morgan, but am learnig they have a bad reputation for germination. The stores rarely sell the tall ones around here either. I had a yellow one once that came back for a few years. I'd love to find it again. It was many many years ago and I did buy it at a nursery.

My neighbor has a whole half of a block to herself, including the alley. They also bought more property behind them and has sooo much room for a ton of things. I love to go over and browse thru it all, LOL! We also have the same taste in plants and shrubs so what I like, she plants. Works for me!

My other neighbor bought the house with the shaped shrubs and she actually trims them too, so I hear ya!

ROTFL!! I hope you get your wish someday, when everyone is ready for babies :o)

Yum! I haven't made cabbage rolls in forever!

I would say you have time to move the sedum. Especially if you move dirt with it. The more roots you can keep, the better. I'll bet I could still move mine and they would be fine.

Awesome to have the mockingbird! I hear the cries of the young about drive you crazy tho, LOL! That's from two people in two States.

Pepper,
I'll bet it WAS a good time! It's so much fun to hear those groups at places like that! We had a small group play at an open house for an old barn and I never got their name. Luckily we got a bit of them playing in the camera video we were taking of the boys.

I don't like pushing thru crowds, but a person always manages to get to see everything. Even the State Fair goes pretty fast with the lines and people in front of you looking at things.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8851504

Hi all! I wanted to see what my peoples are doing this weekend! I just haven't had much to say lately, I'm so boring! I am still unloading my big, trailer load of ahem.. black mulch.
I feel guilty about black dyed mulch! Here is a photo of the job this afternoon, it is coming along. I have yet to sweep off the pavers. The camera musta thot the chain-link fence-post was the subject of the photo, IT is clear!
I usually take at least 2 photos because without fail at least one is blurry. This time they were both blurry, but this one less blurry than the other one!
Where is happ? I wonder how her pergola is coming along?! Yes, adorable babies billlyp! I say adorable with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality!
Eeek! Haha! "cries of the young about drive you crazy" eh?! How about the yells of the elderly?! She was yelling so loud last nite from 10pm to about 11:30pm I thought the neighbors might call the police for elder abuse!
It isn't like that tho, she just has no concept of the time, she wants attention whenever she's awake. What stinks good is when she yells like that in the wee hours which she does pretty regularly.

edited to fix my Seinfeld saying

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 12:19 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8851548

Finally got all the potted plants in the garden. I just dug holes and plopped the whole thing in there. I'm hoping they will fare better that way than they would totally exposed.

First pic from yesterday. The carriage I rode in. I'm not in the pic but that is the horse and carriage. At least I hope it is. Looks like my driver. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8851582

Beautiful pic pepper.

It is with a heavy heart that I report I lost my horse Frisky yesterday afternoon. She started bloating which is a sure sign of a twisted gut. I had called the vet and went to get her to take her in and she was already gone. Sniff sniff Good news is she is not in pain any longer. So sad though, she was only about 3 years old. Glad I have 3 other horses. Took Babe out on a nice long ride by myself late yesterday afternoon. RIP dear Frisky.

Thumbnail by Crit

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8851603

Oh, sorry to hear that, Crit. I know how we get attached to our pets. : )
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8851630

That does sound like a really good time pepper.

Yes, I just bawled when I saw her and went over to tell her good-bye.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011 7:05 PM

Thumbnail by Crit

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8851691

So sorry to hear about Frisky!!! Big hugs from here!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8851742

Thanks pepper
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8851875

Crit, I am so sorry, for frisky, I just knew she would be ok after going to the vet. Oh so sorry. You are having a horrible time this year...so sad.
Gosh, I am just floored, I didn't know anything about horses until you starting posting. So so sorry.

Hi guys, I am here, lost my laptop at home and have been in school for 3 days at work so no time at all, or no computer, spent Friday piggy backing my harddrive to another computer to get my data off. Now need to figure out if I am buying a new harddrive or new computer...

Weather threats of frost is making me do something outside this weekend. I have just been so lazy, it has been just drugery to do anything. I have been combining plants in order to have more room in the garden room, space is getting tight...rofl.

Pergula hasn't done much, I have 4 posts up, I will post tomorrow, not much to see...

It's late and I am tired and gotta get up early early. I will catch up with you all tomorrow.

You all have been really busy, wowzer.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8852137

Will,
I'm pretty boring too :o)

When I take pictures out a window or thru something like a dirty windshield, I use the ''infinity'' setting. On my Kodak camera it's either a flower or a mountain picture. Close-up, and far away :o) It sees thru the mess on infinity.

I wouldn't worry about the mulch. I think you have enough shade to use it without heating up the plants. It's sure going to look nice where you put it so far!

Hopefully you never get new neighbors who don't know her habits.

Sienfeld quote - :o)

Pepper,
I've always wanted a carriage ride. I think it would be so relazing listening to the clip clops. Love the buggy!

Speaking of Sienfeld, one of my favorite shows is with Kramer driving the buggy, yelling Rusty! every time the horse, well, poots! Cracks me up!

Oh Crit, I am so sorry. No, she's not in pain and since there was nothing much you could do, it's better she went fast. Riding was the perfect way to remeber her. I'm sure she understood your heart breaking.

(((((HUGE HUG)))))

Pepper,
What a beautiful picture of honor.

Happ,
Tough luck with the computer!

We, DH and I, went thru a day or two of lazy. Sometimes the wind is in the right direction and it's like spring fever. You just want to sit and enjoy the day.

Key word ''been'' really busy. I'm done for this year thanks to the cold weather. I have lists, still undone.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8852219

Thanks happ and billy. sniff sniff

They just dropped our low on Wednesday from 39* to 33*. Nooooooo. I am NOT ready to move plants in. Guess I have to make a decision what to bring in and what to let die. Going to have to take coleus cuttings instead of bringing in the whole plant. They are so BIG and PRETTY!!!! We put the saddle stands in the room I overwinter in to make room for hay in the barn so have less room for my plants.

Lazy, yes, I can relate to that. I love to set by the pool and take in nature when the weather is like this. I need to get my flower beds fixed where Frisky tore them up while she was in the backyard. They were just in the beginning stages so won't be much to put them back.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8852270

Is anyone else having any problems with DG website? Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, but it will just run and run and run without bringing anything up...

Pergola, this pic is taken from the southwest corner of the pergola and garden room, looking northeast, I know it doesn't look like much now but when the flowers on blooming on the earth berm it is really pretty. The east and part of the south east side of the pergola will remain open because I like the view and I need the winds when it is hot, part of the southside of the pergola is behind the garden room, because the ground was too much of a slope to go farther to the east and in the early spring I need shelter from the winds. The west side will be the potting bench I am going to build. It will give me shade from the west sun, hide the propane tank (not that it isn't beautiful and the most expensive yard ornament I have...LOL), the north side I am undecided maybe a swing...don't know, maybe something more solid to stop the north winds in the early spring and late fall just don't know). I should have room for table and chairs. Should be getting the wood sometime this week, the weekend I think is suppose to be nice. Not much to look at yet.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8852282

This is taken from the east side of the pergola and I am playing like I am p. allen smith...rofl. See all my drawings, that really makes you want a potting bench doesn't it...rofl. Hopefully you get the jest.

Last weekend was junk day in the town I live. Basically you sit whatever you don't want to the curb and if someone wants it they can stop and get it...great idea. I was driving to the p.o. and saw flower pots and an old chandelier. Course I stopped and got the pots and the chandelier, to put over my table in the pergola...DH thought it was suppose to go to the dump, when it was sitting in the back of the truck...rofl...no way! So bargin day for me, wish I would of gotten out earlier... ;)

Thumbnail by happgarden

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8852328

That looks great happ. Will have to start calling you p. allen happ. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8852559

Crit, I have chairs in various spots in the yard and hardly have time to sit in any of them, LOL! I sit to make labels and check the next chore on the list. And if I get out in time, do have a after dinner cup of coffee out there.

Hmmm, I think you need a buigger barn, or just ''tack'' on a tack room. Yep, groannnn!

Happ, no trouble here. When the computer does that on other things, I will shut down, clean up the temporary files and such and shut it down. Sometimes it straightens it out.

No, but walking us thru it lets us see just how it is going to look. AWESOME!!

CRACKING UP over P. Allen Smith!!

Now that is cool! Oh, I love curb side shopping! I think the chandy will look sooo neat!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8853328

I won first place in the photo contest for domesicated animals!! Whoo hoo!!

Man it is really cold out!! I brought in all but elephant ears, cuttings of coleus and all my ornamental sweet potatoes. Those will have to wait. I have a cold so I can't be outside getting stuff taken care of at the last minute. I did manage to pick most of the green peppers I had left. Had a bowl full.

Today has been eventful. First the weather brought more people into the store than normal for a Monday. Then 10 minutes before I leave I was stocking soup and had one roll out and pop me in the mouth. Split my gums above my front teeth pretty good but swelling has already gone down so I can talk. Well...kinda. LOL!!! The cold isn't helping that any!! Turns out the dispenser was missing a piece and we didn't know it. So there was nothing to stop the can from popping anyone. I grabbed the boss man and he figured that out and hopes to get it fixed. May have to rig something.

Some people singing on the front porch of the store. He was having a jolly time entertaining us!! lol. The food in there smelled sooo good!! Fresh bread, fresh cinnamon rolls with more being baked, fudge, homemade butter, and cookies. YUM!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8853845

Crit, do you suppose being name p. Allen happ the money will follow? rofl.
Have you guys seen the place he built...holey moly! Wonder how many full time gardeners he has to maintain it! I do like the idea that he is a neighbor sort of...
There are so few real gardening shows on anymore. We use to have satellite but decided we don’t watch that much tv to justify the cost and by then HGTV had taken most of the gardening shows off the air so I really didn’t care. So now the only gardening shows I see are on public TV, p. Allen, victory garden, a I think there are a couple more that are ok.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8853864

Congratulations pepper on the photo contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is exciting news. Can you post the picture that you won with for us to see?????
So sorry about getting popped in the mouth. OUCH! I bet that really hurts, and will for a while.
I'm with you happ on the gardening shows. I watch those two also and Oklahoma gardening. That is about all I can find.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8853934

Congrats Pepper, I somehow missed that post, that is great about winning, not so great about getting canned...so to speak. Hope it is alot better. Your work has been a little hazardous, do you get hazardous duty pay like the military? ;)

Crit, did you watch the Gardener Guy out of OKC or Tulsa? I liked him. I did tape of few gardening shows back on vcr and I do watch them again. There is a great one on daylilies which is right up my alley. It is the one where the woman wore a hat and a long dress, think it was gardening journal or something like that, I grew to really like it.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8853994

Man, a lot of stuff happens in a few days on this forum! We have been enjoying the beautiful fall weather. We went fishing in a small lake near us. The weather was perfect. Weekend before last, we went canoeing down the Current River--again perfect weather. Today, umm, not so much! It's raining and about 49 degrees. We need the rain. We have truly enjoyed this fall weather this year. I think it has been one of the nicest falls ever.

I haven't brought my plants in yet. You hate to do that until you just really have to. I did dig up some Lantanas and Verbenas to over winter. I also have lettuce coming up. Hubby is going to build a cold frame over it. I need take some potato vine cuttings. I sure enjoyed it this year. It is a dark purple.

Crit, so very sad about your horse. I thought sure she was going to pull out of it. You certainly did everything you could. She was a beautiful horse. You need to treat yourself to something special--maybe with a girlfriend.

Happ: I sure wish I had all your creative ideas. You have great plans with the pergola. It sounds like it is really going to be really neat.

Along with the shows mentioned, I also watch a tv show called Garden Smart. It's not the best, but sometimes, it has some good shows. Here's information about this show:
http://www.gardensmart.tv/

I do enjoy P All Smith's show. Yes, his lay out is huge. He has opportunities to visit his farm with a meal, but it's expensive. I also subscribe to his newsletter. They are usually pretty good also.

I've been planting tulip bulbs.--the early ones. I have bought a few packages at Lowe's and WalMart. It is so much cheaper to buy locally w/o the shipping and handling. So, I just pick from what they offer. I am going to try to force some tulips this year. So, if any of you have any good tips, please let me know. I also need to get my Amaryllis organized and ready to pot back up. Then, there's several Christmas cactus I need to decide what I am going to do with them. I never know whether to put them in the dark or just bring them in. It seems the ones I take outside for the summer bloom naturally when they are brought back into the house. But, I have two that I leave in the house, and they don't do much of anything. So, I guess they need to go into the dark. I need to check on when one is suppose to do that. And, I think you have to quit watering them also. I need to read about that. I seem to forget from year to year what has to be done.

Pepper: Ouch!! That had to really hurt. For me, it would have brought tears. I hope it's starting to heal.

I was doing some research this morning regarding what to do with all of our peppers. It's suppose to get down to 31 degrees this week. I am thinking about making smoked paprika out of them. I bought some once while I was in Florida. It is delicious--so much tastier than the regular paprika. They don't offer the smoked paprika in the grocery stores here.

I also have a bunch of eggplant from our garden that needs to be used up. I have several recipes for the eggplant - from dips to casseroles and side dishes.

Man, I have tulips, amaryllis, Christmas cactus, peppers and eggplant on my agenda. I guess I need to get busy!!!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8854078

birder, it gets scary when you start listing out that stuff doesn't it...rofl.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8854625

Look alike gonna to freezing tonight thru Oct. 20

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8854651

Mouth is healing. It did swell up a few times today but not much. Just enough to worry me since I could feel it. I did go ahead and file an accident report since it hit me right above my front tooth. I don't know if there will be nerve damage or not so decided to cover my butt there. I doubt there is but better safe than sorry on this one.

Winning picture.

Thumbnail by pepper23

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8855255

Pepper, that is a beautiful picture OMG, couldn't be any more perfect. Looks like it belongs on a calender.

You deserved that hands down.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8855538

JuJu smell and came to me to show me that a cute tiny box turtle in my back yard 2 weeks ago...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8855702

Pepper, you deserved to win. Whiskers was the prettiest, most perfect, picture! And I voted for him :o)

I cringe everytime I think about those swollen gums. OUCH! It would have brought tears to my eyes, but I also would have been mad that it hit me! But I'm glad a little kid didn't get beaned on the head! I hope it heals fast. Your cold too. I just did the neti pot because I was getting a tiny headache behind my eyes. AINT gonna happen! No no no!!!

Love the guy doing the two step :o) I can smell those baked goods!

Happ, I goofed above. I meant to be cracking up over P Allen HAPP! I think maybe just being P.Allen anything would confuse people. LOL!

I am so upset that they ruined HGTV! I used to watch one gardening or landscaping show after another in the late mornings. Now I barely watch it at all :o(

Victory garden has been ruined too. I want Jim Crockett re-runs!

Birder, you really know how to relax!

I'm with you on forgetting just what to do year to year. I'm hoping to find a better place to stash the rain lilies instead of under the closet. I forget to give them a little water when they are hidden away.

Oooh, if you do the smoked paprika, tell us how you did it.

My easiest eggplant recipe called for it to be hollowed out and the ingredients mixed and put back in the shells to bake. I just cook the hamburger add the spagetti sauce, cubed eggplant and spices and cook on top of the stove till it's done. Then I melt mozerella in it and serve. YUM!

I also did a recipe where I sliced it thin, layered it with something and I think, baked it like lasagna.

Birder and Happ, cracking up over the list, and the anxiety that follows. I got nervous just reading it and my list is about done.

Rusty, glad you're back! I hope you got all your garden picked.

Oh Pepper, I never thought about nerve damage. I hope not!

Rusty, he is sooo adorable, so tiny, so beautiful!! I love him!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8855979

Rusty, that is the tinest turtle I have ever seen. Golly he's lucky he didn't get stepped on. I have never seen a turtle on my place or a squirre, which is what happens when your house is an island among crops...rofl.

How are you doing? Ready for the frost. I got it last night.

I was out watering in the garden room last night and Bass the basset knows he is not suppose to be on the couch, but he must not of set his alarm, because this is what he was doing when I came in, he was actually snoring!

Thumbnail by happgarden

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8855993

Suppose to get down to 33* tonight. I need to get off my duff and bring small pots in and get the bigger ones gathered together ana blanket put over them. Need to cut some starts from my pretty coleus.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8856131

Hubby picked j. peppers and bell peppers this AM. We had about 2 gallons of j. peppers and 5 gallons of sweet peppers. I made a dish with the peppers and eggplant: you grill the and add feta etc. It was very good. E. Largesse's recipe. We have several eggplants picked also.
BP your eggplant recipes sound really good. Of course, it's 5:30 so everything sounds good right now!! That second recipe sounds kind of like Eggplant Parmesan. Yum.
I made six batches of Pesto today and put it in ice cube trays to freeze. I also made Sun Dried Tomato Bread. It was a new recipe and turned out really well.
It was cold, windy and wet today. I really dislike the wet cold. We're going to cover a bunch of stuff up tomorrow evening. We have two nights coming up below 35 degrees. I plan on working on the plants tomorrow. It was just too yucky out today.
Birdie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8856204

Well I had frost on the car, but my covered tomatoe is fine and so is the rose bush...go figure. I had heavy frost on the car, well I am glad, I hope everything survivies cause I think it is suppose to get warmer next week. Hate to see everything go brown.

Did I tell you guys there is a reblooming iris in the flower bed that has bloomed about this whole spring and summer, it did the same thing the year before, and is still in bloom. It is the talk of all the master gardeners Monday night at the meeting. Hope nobody messes with it. It was blooming when we were in the 100's and now blooming again... It would be a great one to get starts off of.

Stay warm everyone, I agree I hate cold, wet, and windy Birdie, it just gets to your bones in nothing flat!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8856216

I am doing good and same way to my dogs!

Tomorrow, will be 29 (sunrise) I am going stay in my bed that Juju jump on my bed every morning and I was on left side which Juju sit by my legs to keep warm (my knees to feet)...

I watch on PBS that I look Victory Garden yes I love Jim Crockett and I has all the books...Also I love to watch about quilting and painting, too! lol...It's fun to watch and learn something new!

Well I heard on news that Ty Penny in Joplin for build 7 new homes Oct. 19 to 26 so I cant go thru cause of security blocks some street that police will be 12 hours each time... Darn I try to take some pix of Ty Penny! lol...

Stay inside to keep warm until tomorrow if not will be end on Friday! Make freezing go away! lol...

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8856223

Rusty, I heard they were coming to town, wow I didn't know they were building that many housesd...good grief.
I sometimes think they go a little overboard on those houses, how in the world do these people heat and cool them, let alone pay property tax and insurance. Course I am sure I am way too practical.

So you can't go watch at all? I thought when they were in KC you could, catch a bus and it would take you there to be part of the viewers.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8856267

Well, I heard that Ty Penny will be show Joplin's house in November...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8856329

Bp, there's no lasting damage to my mouth that I know of but the threat was there for a day or two. It's healing up nicely now and didn't swell up once today.

I saw the live coverage of Ty and Sam Champion this morning. Pretty neat to see them down there. I hope they do smaller houses than normal but knowing them they won't. lol.

Happ, they say that the heat and a/c bills are the same if not better than the old homes. The new homes are alot more energy efficient. But the property taxes and insurance are another matter. There are some that have a hard time paying them because they go up.

Thanks for the compliments on the pic. I got several shots of him in the pot but that was the one where he turned and looked at me with eyes wide open. lol

Here's the guy with a big grin on his face. Having the time of his life. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8856743

Happ, I am rolling on the floor! That is hilarious! He's on the pillow too!!! Howling with laughter now!!

Oooh, love the couch!

Crit, I used to try and overwinter coleous. That was before I knew to pinch the new growth. Then, I pinched the new growth too much. After that, I gave up, LOL!

Birder, my peppers did terrible. I didn't even have a crisperful and I used every single one in the roasted red peppers :o(

I know! Everything did sound delicious!

Oh wow, the bread sound sooo good! I've been thinking about sun dried tomato focaccia bread. (I always have to Google it to spell it, LOL!)

Happ, frost, and we had none yet. I guess we will get it tonight.

Is this iris in your bed? It sounds fantastic!

Rusty, nothing feels better than a warm weight leaning against you :o)

Wow, that is great! I hope they decide to use the money to make normal houses the right size for the families. That would do them so much better than those they deck out. They could build one more if they get sensible about it.

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_19147364

Happ, you aren't too practical. You have common sense.

Pepper, you really got lucky, since it was going to hit you anyway... to not be hurt worse. I'm glad!

Love the big grin on him and the lady :o)

Will must be busy, or he decided to hibernate :o)

ImaMes, if you are checking in, here is my pretty little shrub! I hope it really takes off next year. I'd love to see it full size.

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8856824

Thank you Billyp for the article on the houses, that makes so much more sense building several new normal houses than a mansion for middle to low income folks.

I had heard the energy costs were the same as a normal house, but gosh even if the utility bills were the same as the folks were paying before, it just seemed to me they probably couldn’t afford what they had so why not build a more normal house and just think how cheap the utilities would be, and how much easier it would be for the families. Sides every house sooner or later needs maintenance and heavens I would hate to maintain some of those monsters they built. I will admit they were beyond beautiful, but like I said I am way too practical, sides cleaning some of those would be a full time job….LOL and I have gotten way lazy. ;)

Bass knows what pillows are for, he always puts his head on them when he gets a hold of one. Thank you Billyp, I like my sofa, it is a denim slip cover sofa. (Yes, I am practical…rofl), the tag says you shouldn’t wash the slip cover (I am guessing it would shrink like Levi’s) but you can have it cleaned. I took it one time and was surprised how reasonable it was, a lot cheaper than a new sofa.

Yesterday the car had frost on the back window, this morning frost on the front and back window. Hope I didn't miss any tropical plants, cause I am guessing they will be goners by now.

I over winter coleus most years or try. Seems like most of us start out ok, but then about Feb. they just up and die, my theory is it gets too cold, so this year I am putting them on a heat mat and see what happens. I actually had been growing a standard for several years and it was doing good, until it got mealy bugs and I couldn't get them under control, so out of fear of contaminating every thing in the garden room I threw it out.

Probably picked the last of my roses night before last. They are really doing good in the office. This rose bush is pretty amazing, it doesn't get many dieases, or fungus, or anything, it just grows and grows. It has bloomed from spring until last night. I am figuring last night was the end but won't know until I get home. I don't know the name of it, but I think in spring I will try to take cuttings and see if I can get more going. Can't imagine how well it would do if I would take care of it. I planted it by the fish pond, which isn't good because I can't spray it because I would poison the fish...not thinking on my part.

Billyp, the iris I am talking about is in a public right away as you come into my small town. We master gardeners planted iris and knock out roses and few other things and then as volunteer time, I maintain the bed. Out of 4 iris it is the only one that blooms nonstop...rofl. I need to take a pic of it.

Thumbnail by happgarden

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8856840

Happ, that's why I don't watch the show. They just get ridiculous sometimes.
These people just need a nice new house that doesn't have a million air leaks and need a new roof.

I would have thought it would cost a lot to have cleaned.

OH WOW, what is the name of that rose? It's gorgeous!

I hope the iris will multiply like mad so you could get a start ot two. Then when it multiplies for you you can share with your other MG's. Yes, a picture. I'd love to see it!

Well, I just bought a wreath from the boy next door :o) Delivered in early december, just as we are starting to put the outdoor Christmas things out.

Have a good day all. I need to go!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8856970

Here's the weather frost advisory:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp

This morning so chilly!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8857552

We haven't gotten frost here yet it appears. I noticed today that everything is still blooming like normal which if we had a heavy frost they wouldn't be doing. I did go ahead and cover up my radishes with a sheet just in case. Don't want to lose them. My dad lives for them radishes. LOL

A couple making homemade butter. Too bad they weren't selling it. It tasted reeeeeeaaaalllly goooood!!!!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8857618

Temps are suppose to get to 33 degrees tonight and 35 tomorrow night. Then, it is suppose to warm up some. I hate it when you have a couple of killing frosts, and then everything gets back to normal. We took a little bit of stuff in tonight, but mostly covered everything up with old sheets. It will look silly in the morning, but by now, my neighbors should be used to it! :)
This freeze really motivates me to get going on bringing everything inside.
I took some cutting of the sweet potato vine yesterday. It's a good thing I did as it is looking real sad today. I meant to get a couple of clippings of the Black Eye Susan Vine today, but just ran out of time. So I covered it up with a sheet and will get the clippings tomorrow.
I cleaned the downstairs garage today. It was a mess. My husband leaves everything right where he used it last. I don't go down there too often, and it was really dirty and messy. I had to re-organize things before plants could be brought inside.
After the garage cleaning, I went to town to the Farmer's Market. I bought Jade Green Beans, Fresh Turnips, Sugar Pie Pumpkins, okra and a few heirloom tomatoes. We did not plant any fall garden as we had too many home maintenance projects this fall. Jade Green Beans BTW, are really, really tasty and are beautiful long green beans. That is the green bean we always plant--usually in the spring and then again in the fall.
Pepper, I remember making homemade butter! It was quite good. I still have the churn my folks used.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8857862

Rusty, no frost or freeze here.

Pepper, I realized, with dismay, that any thought of fall gardening didn't enter my head. WAH! I want radishes!!

YUM on the real butter!!

Birder, all you need is cream and you could have butter anytime! Is it a large churn? MY Aunt had a jar fitted with padles. I liked to churn butter at her house, but the cousins all got busy elsewhere.

No frost, but the air is crispy. I guess I missed a meteor shower in Orion sometime last night or this morning.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 21, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8857924

Coldest morning yet.
Very frosty.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8857963

I just watch the news last night and I final found it for to see the video:

http://fourstateshomepage.com/fulltext-extreme-makeover-home-edition-joplin?nxd_id=228637

http://fourstateshomepage.com/fulltext-extreme-makeover-home-edition-joplin?nxd_id=228607

To see the new archive:

http://fourstateshomepage.com/news-archive

One house to build in 45 min.!

http://fourstateshomepage.com/fulltext-extreme-makeover-home-edition-joplin?nxd_id=228567

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 8:15 AM

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 8:17 AM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8857970

We got down close to freezing yesterday morning. Hadn't brought anything in but did cover the tender plants and pushed all the others up against the fence under the trees or together to try and keep each other 'warm'. Had frost on my car, but the plants don't look too bad. A little touch on a couple of things, but not a killing frost. I left the covers on last night and am going to take them off today. Suppose to get back to normal for a while.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8857973

The news in Tulsa was talking about the houses being built in Joplin last night. Unfortunately, I fell asleep before I saw it. :-(
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8858396

My churn is a jar fitted with paddles also. It works really well. I guess I should get it out and make butter. That would be kind of fun and certainly an activity for a winter day! Then, slather the homemade butter on some homemade bread!!

I went to Lowe's today. They have a lot of their houseplants at fifty percent off. They are making room for all of the Christmas stuff.

I kind of hate to even think about Christmas. If I just knew what people wanted for gifts, it would be so much more pleasant. My kids want things like a car or a house!! Like most people, they don't wait for Christmas to buy small things. If they want something, they just go buy it. Then, when Christmas comes, they don't have any ideas for gifts.

We have a very pleasant day today. The wind has finally subsided, so it makes for a much more pleasant day. It's still quite cool out, however.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8858636

Got our killing frost last night. That leaves cannas, elephant ears and sweet potato vines to be dug up and brought in. Also need to dump my pots out.

My dad harvested a bunch of radishes today for the first crop of the season. He was all excited over them. Even cleaned them up and cut the tops off. lol. Funny thing is he didn't eat them right then and there because he was chewing gum and didn't want to spit it out. lol

This was taken behind the store. A shot of an old plow and a decorative shed or outhouse. Plus some of the fall colors.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8858940

Rusty, it's nice to know they got them built so fast!

Crit, we're warming bck up too. Woo hoo!

Birdie, it would be cool to try it once. I was just reading that a person salts the cream first so the white salt streaks aren't in the butter. I think I read that in the Farm Journal cookbook last night, LOL! I am thinking myself into making bread when I can't be outside any more.

Christmas has become a nightmare for those reasons exactly! It's time for some fun. Give them money as their main giftand then buy boy and girl gifts. Everyone takes a box from under the tree and has fun with what they get. Girls could be a Bed and Bath gift, boys...boys are harder, but you get the idea :o)

I spent yesterday trimming the iris, then burning the trimmings. I didn't get finished, but have a longer nicer day today! We didn't get back from DD's and getting groceries, till almost Noon. Then I was trying to transfer geneology obits from a cousin's site to my own folder after dinner. DH went out, then told me I better get out and enjoy the day, so I did!

Then, it was so funny. Yesterday, MaryE was saying her neighbor was going to turn under his tomatoes, so she went and got because her supply, like mine, was dwindling. So I said I should ask my neighbor. ''Said neighbor'' called out to me at the grocery store and we walked in together. I was able to ask about her tomatoes and went over last night and picked two more tubs of various stages of green and red. Yahoo!

Now I can get more roasted tomato sauce in the freezer.

I tore out Monkshood that just never manages to bloom till the day it frosts. I hated to lose it completely, so I buried some in the dirt pile, LOL! I think I'll pot some today and bury the pot. Or maybe find a different spot for it. It should have been happy. I had moved it to the east side of the arborvitaes years ago, out of reach of the walnut tree dripline, and mulched it. I watered it this spring and summer and the stems still went dry and dead. Only a few green remained. These are the common one's too. I have Ivorine, Stainless Steel and Spark's Variety in the South Peony under the walnut trees. I think a few of these are going back with them. The reason I moved them in the first place is that the stems turned black and I thought I would lose it then. I've had them for years and they limp along.

The best part is, that I finally dug the tiger lilies from the Rose Bed. It's been on my to do list for three years! They... DA da da DA, are in the monkshood bed with two, where should I put these, Balloon Flowers between them. I can't wait to see how it looks next year!

I'm trimming the last of the iris today, Woo Hoo!

Will, having computer problems? I hope it's nothing major.

Monkshood in the Fall. It looks bad and barely gets to bloom.

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8858982

Billyp, what name are those shrubs/trees, those look like they would be great to replace my dead pines with, they are beautiful.

Will, where are you? Don't make me go to Indep and find you, cause I will be going thru there this weekend...he has been strangely quiet for quite a while.

No lack of frost around here, some things got it and some things were missed. Can't see the tomatoes but they were wrapped in a comforter so we will see.

Went off and forgot my roses at work, dag nab it... ;( Somehow I can't warrant a 80 mile drive to go get them, and they will run out of water before Monday!

Have a great day you all!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8858987

My monkshood looks pretty lousy also. The one in the front of the house didn't even bloom. I am trying to find a new location for it. My beds are so full.
I took cuttings from Black Eyed Susan Vine "Blushing Susie", penta, superbena: a pink one and a blue one, and Lantana. I doubt if they will make it. I also dug up a couple of superbenas and latanas.

Temperature right now is 35 degrees at 8:30 AM. Then, it's going to be in the seventies and eighties. Nonetheless, we need to start getting our plants moved in. I don't like the ritual of covering plants.

Can anyone tell me if it's okay to put a black plastic bag over my Christmas Cactus? It's at a north window and gets too much light from the street lights at night. I feel like a box would break off the stems, and I don't have a closet empty enough. Plus, honestly, I don't want to carry them back and forth every night. :(

I only made butter as a kid. I would have to read how to do it. My mom would just hand me the jar to turn the handle. You know, one can make butter real fast with the mixer!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8858991

BP: lucky you--to get all those tomatoes. No one around here had very good luck with tomatoes this year. We never grew enough to just eat fresh. That's a first for us. And, "roasted" tomato sauce to boot. That sounds soooo good. I sure hope next year the tomatoes will do better. They say the temps just didn't get cool enough at night this year. So, how do you make your roasted tomato sauce? Please tell.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8859125

Here's the link about Christmas cactus:

http://www.humeseeds.com/xmasccts.htm

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8859603

Happ, swing by and check on Will. Make sure he's still alive. lol. Then report back on here.

Old rake on display. Perfect setting for it.

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8859717

Thanks! I'm okay! Computer problems hehe! No, not me! Just had a bit of an interruption of sorts, no big thing!
Haha! Happ is coming to Independence to find me! She knows where I'm at, but everything is fine!
Wow, Christmas time already, it was just 100 degrees less than 2 months ago!
I played my Grandpa 6 games of Chess today, he played me better than usual. They've been married for 68 years, my Grandparents, they're getting pretty good up in years, it's gonna be a bummer if they pass before me.
They seem to be doing good and all, my Grandmother tells me she's feeling different, with more aches and stuff and I hope it doesn't get any worse. She asked me if she could paint me anything, I said no, well maybe a piece of fruit or something. She called me today and she never calls hardly, so I went over there for a visit, they are only a few minutes away. I feel like sometimes when I give her a kiss on the cheek and a hug, it might be the last time. Soreness and stuff seems to last longer at MY age, 44, I can't imagine how it must feel to be over twice that.

Wow, they say 79° Sun. (today now..lol) and 86° Monday, 83 Tuesday. I might put a couple houseplants outside to get some sun before the long Winter. The Weeping Fig must be thinking, "this isn't right my leaves aren't getting scorched"! Haha! I'll kinda be glad when it starts freezing so the pollen will ease up and my nose will stop sniffling. I never wanted to admit that I had allergies but I guess I do, I don't feel nearly as bad as I did about a month ago but every now and then I'll sneeze and my nose will run.
Thanks for thinking of me you guys, but things are fine.
Will

Edited to say the day that Nbc Action News says it's going to be 79°..lol - http://www.nbcactionnews.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast Actually, they have got the high temp right every day for nearly a month I saw! I copy their 7 day forecast weekly and put it on the desktop, my friend likes that. I couldn't believe that someone (weather forecaster Gary Lezak) had been right that much!

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011 2:39 AM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8859891

Happ,

Those are "Emerald'' Thuja occidentalis Arborvitaes. I love them! When I got them in 2005, they were about 4' tall and only $20.00 apiece. I should have grabbed a lot more at that price! We tie them together from the inside with jute to keep the ice and heavy snow from bending them out and ruining their shape. Top height and width is 12' - 15' x 4'.

I wonder if Will is having computer problems? It seems like everyone is at times.

I picked and took out the last two tomato plants the other day. I needed to to be able to move the rhubarb, which... I did yesterday! I had to dig to China to do it and could barely roll it up and out of the hole, but two are in where they are going to stay and two are left in case those die over the winter.

Oh no! Those beautiful blooms! Well, save the petals for homemade potpourii!

Birdie,

I potted up those I threw on the compost pile. I left those in the dirt pile. I can't completely give them up. I too will try a couple different places. Its a shame because they are beautiful when they bloom!

Make it or not, we're trying. Already my mint looks like it will just dry up. I misted it the other day.

Well, if it's open at the bottom, the cactus should get air. I would worry more about condensation. What about a sheet or tea towels?

ROTFL over cheating with the mixer! I think you figure how much salt, stir to dissolve and put it in the jar. Start turning and it should be butter. If you wanted you could add food coloring, but it wouldn't bother me not to.

She had a lot rotting. A shame! It was too cold during the day and too hot at night for us too. I even waited till longer in June to set them out.

This is how I started making the tomato sauce. It's a wonderful recipe!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/984/

Pepper,

Grinning. Yes we need to know what's up with him. I hope the flu didn't hit any of them. Love the potato rake. (CountryGardens told us it was that on the Weather thread.)

Well, speak of the little devil :o) Glad all is well. I thought maybe the old lady might have, well, you know.

Will,

I think they have had a wonderful long life together and you wouldn't want to break their hearts by going first. See them as much as you can. You will find questions after they are gone that you wish you could ask them.

I'm glad grandpa plays a good game!

I look at TWC on computer every day. They are right on on the temps, but not the best at the rain. Speaking of, I have high hopes we get some tonight!

I moved two huge rooted rhubarb yesterday. They are in their final spot in the garden. I had to dig to China and roll them out of the hole and over to the new one a few feet away. I couldn't lift them! I finished the iris and cut back more flower stalks. I'll thank me next spring for cleaning up this fall!

I had the arborvitae in 2005 but not a decent digital till 2006. This is 2007 while they are still small. The monkshood is newly planted.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8859965

Urchhh, back up. I had the plow named wrong. Pepper's last picture is a hay rake. The plow was the first photo. Thanks to Bernie for catching me on that!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8859966

Scared you Will didn't I...rofl. Glad you resurfaced guy. You going before your DGP's would NOT be what they would want. I do genealogy and if it is possible losing family members is even worse because of all the information that is gone. I was lucky and started doing genealogy before my Mom had her stroke, but then would think of things later. I "interviewed" and taped a long conversation with my Great Uncle and he told me all kinds of stories of ife lduring the depression and my Grandparents (which I never got to meet), it was an amazing time with him. He kept telling me now if I run across (can't think of their names now) that they weren't related to us! If he told me that once he must of told me that 10 times. Course that made me run to the Libery genealogy place, come to find out they were some BAD boys, but sadly they are related to us...that is one thing about genealogy you can't take things personally.

Will the great thing is your DGP have gotten to spend so many years together and with you, that is amazing. So visit more often and there will be no regrets.

Every year Costco has some shrubs like your Billyp and they are 20.00 if you can imagine that, they are probably 5 or 6 feet tall but that may be including the pot. I am going to have to go on a buying spree next spring.

OK, you tow made me look up monkshood... ;)

I have vines full of cherry tomatoes and big green ones on my other tomatoe vines. I will let them go after Halloween if Mother nature will let me keep them that long.

Everything except for some cannas are tucked away, so watering during these hot periods is a pain...rofl.
Not working on the pergola, there has just been so much stuff going on, I haven't had time. Maybe this afternoon we can hook up the trailer and at least get the wood but I think DH's dance card is pretty full so I don't know. Never drove the truck with the trailer but I might try it, if he can do it I can do it, he wasn't born knowing how to drive with it either... rofl.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8860763

I dug up my cannas and elephant ears today. I thought I had more elephant ears out there but apparently not. lol. Oh well. The ones I have left for now are a good size so that's good. And I reeeeeeeeeaaaalllly glad I gave away so many cannas!!! I have triple what I had kept. LOL!!! Luckily I knew that would happen. Next year I will probably have to give some away again.

Thanks Bernie for explaining the rake!! (I know you are lurking here!!) Forgot to on weather. :~) At least I knew it was a rake but I like it when he jumps in with details. Then I really know what they are!!

Will, about time you surfaced!! Happ would have made you feel guilty for not being on here!! LOL!! Glad you are getting to spend time with grandparents!! I hope mine are around that long or longer. The way they are going too makes me wonder if they won't make it to 100! lol.

Taking the mule out for some exercise.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8860778

Not the right pic!! Will try again. My pic thingie doesn't wanna work for me tonight.

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8860814

Yes you scared me happ! I'm glad to surface!
Kinda like when I play my Grandpa Chess and I say "Check!", he jumps all up like it startles him!

Haha! No billyp, the elderly disabled lady here hasn't finished me off yet! I made a sign in Microsoft Word for the aides to remind them NOT to call the police if she wants to because she sometimes thinks for some reason that we need the police, we don't, everything is fine. She sometimes has so much confusion and anxiety going that make-believe seems real to her unfortunately. The other day she wanted me to bring her a knife so she could cut my throat! The other aide was in there, she just laughs, I say, "why you wanna cut me, I didn't do anything!"! She says she's just joking but if she gets a knife I'm leaving her room!

How about this $20 Persimmon from Powell Gardens in 2004, but planted the following Spring?! It has really grown, I'd say it is quite happy. There is no digging it up or moving it now, believe me I tried to and it wasn't having it. I wanted to move it about 2 years ago, Persimmons are pretty well known for having a tap-root and I guess this one's was in there to stay! So, it is like one of the focal points of my backyard master landscaping plan now. What a difference in those 2 photos, I hope I haven't done more harm than good! The top one is a little smaller because it was from my old 1.3 Mega Pixel Sony Cybershot camera back in the day and it was 640 x 480, my newer camera is much bigger and that was after I resized it down from 2300 pixels something x 1700 something. I could have enlarged the 640 x 480 one but that would've made it kinda blurry, so I left it alone.

No, knock on wood and my head I have many years left I hope! I should be so lucky to live to my Grandparent's age. Already, there is no way I could match their length on being married as I'm not married now.
Yeah, I've got a few timer's left in my family, but the one great uncle thats here is so hard of hearing you have to shout, and he likes to sit on their screened in porch and I feel like all the neighbors will know our business.
I really like to know as much as I can, they are very interesting. Just visiting with my other side Grandparents is enlightening. My living maternal Grandpa likes telling how he was shot in the legs in Germany in WW2 and other war stories, he's very interesting. Its such a loss when older family members pass. And the Dust Bowl times they told about and the Great Depression when there was no jobs. I liked the story my deceased Grandpa used to tell about when he was with a big group of men looking for jobs in the thirties, the people that hired came out and they said, "we need 2 welders" and my Grandfather stepped forward and pushed his younger brother forward also when they didn't know how to weld just to get a job. That younger brother is the only one left. I last went over to his house in July or August when it was so hot. I looked all over their house, but I couldn't find them. I could tell they had been in the basement to keep cool though because there was chairs set up down there, (it's an outside entrance basement). They never did come to the door then but they musta been taking it easy and weren't going to the door, or they mighta had enuff heat and went to the library, his wife and him are public library nuts. His wife and him don't have ac, they say they open the windows at night and draw the shades during the day and it is cool enuff. I don't know how that could work but I'm not butting in! I think they also sit around when it's blazing hot with a water soaked washcloth on their head!

Wow, that is a big mule, Pepper, and that plow looks quite aged too, that would be a nice trip.
Will

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011 11:03 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2011

Post #8860887

Your tree looks very happy in that spot!! Looks good there too!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8861000

Thanks Pepper. I grew another little tiny one from a seed I got last Fall. I intend to plant it somewhere back there, it won't be easy because the yard is pretty small. But, I have to get it planted and going because the Persimmon tree is dioecious, I found that out AFTER I planted that one years ago, but it needs another tree to get fruit.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8861141

Happ,
That is so neat about the genealogy. You took advantage of it! Grinning over the ''horse thieves'' in the background and smiling over your Grandpa trying to keep your family good :o)

Boy, those are the prices to look for! I don't know how root bound a tree or shrub that tall might be, but have help to pull it out and see. My size was including the pot, I think. Now I have to see if I can find a picture in the photo album. BD, before digital.

After our jeep ride yesterday I came home and cut back almost all the rest of the plants. Then I came in and cut up a big bowlful of green tomatoes. I will puree two cups to try a batter bread like zucchini bread and freeze the rest in measured bags. Hello green tomato rice and sausage pie this winter!

I'll bet you do just fine with the trailor!

Pepper,
A good size will maybe put out EE babies next year.

ROTFL over getting more than the Cannas you gave away, back! It's too bad you can't sell them at Powells.

You have to respect the mule. They are a personality all their own. He's a big guy/gal!

Will,
Your Grandpa is so cool! What a great memory that will become :o)

Cracking UP! She is going to get you yet. Maybe... on Halloween. (Just spooking ya :o)

You are so right about them being interesting. Those things they experienced, will never be repeated.

Older people bask in the heat, usually. If you don't have air on and stay in the heat, it may be hot, but you do get used to it. Kind of a circle sentence. In another nut shell, when it was stinking hot, I went out and stayed out. I got used to it :o)

Wow, the tree looks good! It has pretty fall color too. Another bonus!

I see the neighbors moved the shed :o)

That's neat that you started another from seed. It will look good to have a mate and the fruit should be good too.

I'm pretty much done cutting back flowers now. I did dig and reset iris on the garden corner yesterday. I couldn't leave them the weedy mess they were, and I had already trimmed and picked up their debris.

We have another gorgeous day ahead and I suppose I better water. Our rain last night was pushed to Wednesday and is not very certain. Wah!

Cowboys in Iowa :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 24, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8861239

I don't lurk.
I scan this thread & will jump in if something interests me.
Very busy here. Now that garden is winding down, we need to really get into cabinet making big time. I have enough work until after Christmas & 3 more people to go see. Also going to have the antique store open a couple days a week.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8862151

Normally I get alot of babies off my ee's but this year they just put on size. That works for me!!

Yeah, those cannas love to reproduce when they are happy!! LOL

Will, watch your back cause Happ's gonna get you!!! :~p

The mule was a nice sized mule. He also helped pull the carriage when the mare was on her break.

Hi Bernie!! :~)

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8862436

Those IA. cowboys aint real! Yeah, don't be intimidated by a trailer, just remember backing up is easy, you just turn the steering wheel the opposite way that you want the trailer to back up! Lemme see, I've hit a fire hydrant and a fence-post backing up!

I know happ is! Maybe I can interest her with a Blackberry Bush so she doesn't ring my neck!

Yeah, they moved that nasty old shed a long time ago billyp, there have been 3 residents in that house since that before photo up there. In fact they are my friends in that house now, they are a young hispanic married couple, I've seen their newborn even.

Yeah, she's gonna get me yet! I hate it that I bring her so much grief in her later years but I came here to help my friend, there's no way she could do it alone. She took a sick day from work today because her Mom kept her up all nite yelling. She took out FMLA a while back because that happens all too often unfortunately, my friend works from home when she needs to.
That Persimmon does have nice Fall colors, that is so cool, it is perfect for that spot, now if I just didn't worry that it's roots were gonna push thru the pond's liner!

Tomorrow, ima paint that red shed! My friend changed her mind on what color to paint it tho, from green to a light red/red/orangey color, she wants it to kinda match the house now. That's an interesting paint process at Walmart, how they do the mixing, its starts out white then a computer adds other colors to make the perfect tint you picked out. I'll do the painting tomorrow if it isn't too windy for my paint sprayer.
Here is something of a "before" photo of the shed.

I once took an interest in some relatives in Cottonwood Falls KS., only to find out they were some sort of rounders, even the women! I was like "good gosh, I come from a long line of imbeciles!"!

I think I'd make a good cabinet maker but I don't have the space for a shop, I like wood working.

I'm gonna make a point of visiting the older generation of my family this year.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8862455

BP: thanks for the roasted tomato sauce recipe. It looks like a really good one. I wonder If I could use Rosemary instead of Oregano. I have a couple of rosemary plants. I wonder if rosemary is a little more pungent than oregano?

I don't have a food mill. My mom had one, but I didn't get it when she died. I suppose it sold in the auction. I guess I need to buy one. I have run across recipes occasionally that call for a food mill. I am sure they're not very expensive. It's just finding a "place" for it when it's not in use. We're busting at the seams! I need to have about six garage sales!!

Did you put the monkshood in pots because it was too late to put them in the ground? I was told monkshood need total shade, but they stretch and lie down in my total shade.

We've got three nights in this week in the thirties. :( We started taking plants inside today. Even though it's nice outside today, I don't want to wait and have to do it all in one day.

Regarding Christmas Cactus: I thought about a towel or Sheet, but there would be some light getting through. Plus, I wonder if a towel would be too heavy for the stems? I have asked on the Cactus forum if anyone has used black trash bags. No one has. I did research on the Christmas Cactus, and some of the websites suggested a black trash bag to keep the light out, but I am leery of doing so.

Pepper: We used to have gobs of President Cannas. They would multiply like crazy. Then, my husband had unexpected surgery over Thanksgiving which is when we usually dug them up. We were so involved in his care, we forgot to dig them up that year, and they were no more. :(

We have had pink spider dahlias that we have never dug up that come back every year for about 15 years. They are quite pretty.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8862478

Just for the record, I didn't plant that Persimmon Tree crooked! Look at it lean now! I hope that's a Persimmon Tree thing! Well, it doesn't look THAT crooked to me in this photo. I once planted a Leyland Cypress at my Mom's and she cut it down because it was crooked, she said I planted it crooked!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8862705

Bernie,
It always gets done, but it amazes me how! You are truely efficient and apparently make no mistakes that slow you down.

Will,
Cracking UP! Don't ever sign on to be a driving instuctor:o)

ROTFL over the diversion! So that's how you stay alive! :o)

So they stayed. I remember you talking about them way back, when he was going to have his cycle repo'ed. I'm glad they're doing ok!

It is sad that you bother the woman, but in reality I don't think she has actual feelings, just words. And I think those words are going to happen no matter what.

I hope your friend had a restful day.

Google the roots on a Persimmon. They usually list trees to not plant near your sewer and water lines.

Laughing, I'm old enough to remember the person adding the color. Our town actually sold paint and we still have the reddish brown under the cabinets that she mixed for us.

ROTFL&L!! At least you aren't an imbecile! The family must have split before your parent.

Oh yeah, the shed needs paint!

Birdie, I think the spices are up to an individual. We don't care for basil so I don't use it. I bought it because I'm game, but it doesn't float my boat.

You could smash it thru a strainer. It would be time consuming removing the skins, but it's doable. I will use my China Cap that I use for canning. The first batch, I froze, seeds and skin included.

There are small mills, and I've looked at them, but never needed one that bad. Or had the room. I was lucky. I did get Mom's CC and other canning things.

Yes, I will replant the Monkshood next year. At the heat of the moment, I was going to just let them go. But ''Saver Sally'' decided to bury and also pot most of them back up. I have more on the compost pile and it's killing me to just let them die. I think they like sun, if ithey're moist, but not soggy.

I wonder, if you put rods in the pot so the bag wouldn't actually touch the cactus, it might work.

Good thing about Cannas is someone always shares, and my favorite, "they still sell them'' :o)

I hope DH's surgery was a one time thing and he's OK!

Will, it looks like the tree is crooked on it's own :o)

Out of hardly anything, we had a very short hardish rain. woo hoo. Now if we can just get more! In the East the sky is a bit cloudy with the prettiest apricot and light blue color.

MORE thunder! MORE rain. I love it!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8862722

birder, I so wish I could leave dahlias in the ground. Those are one of my favorite plants but I either don't get them out of the ground in time or don't get them in the ground in time. I think they are one of the most beautiful plants. Guess I should try doing them in pots and let them over winter in the pot, that usually works best for me. Course then storage is a bigger issue. I worked with a guy in Independence and he had a micro climate in his back yard that allowed him to leave cannas in the ground year round. My cannas except for a few I planted this spring are in pots but those pots stay out all year, but I can seem to get them dug up cause the soil is so loose in them.

Christmas Cactus bloom for me if I let them go really dry, and then when I begin watering again they will bloom, I have never put them in the dark. That maybe why the ones outdoors bloom and then one indoors don't bloom cause you take too good a care of them... ;) I have read all that alternating stuff with a box to keep out light and the same with poinsettias but they bloom outdoors in Texas and no one is covering them up to extend the night hours. Mom nature does that automatically in the winter, so once you bring the outdoor ones in (frost time the nights are longer) and then they bloom. I am not expert but works for me.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8862738

Happ, I think that is good advice on the cactus since it's personal experience.

I adore the tall dahlias and I too have storage issues.

I have had small gladiolus bulbs over winter when I missed digging them up.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8862777

It not need to cover black plastic bag at all (never). I has 8 of cc (christmas cactus) that it help in attached garage with direct light not much... So, in winter that not need water until it springtime or after frost over and can put outside in shade not get sunburn on cactus... water moist not heavy until it dry then water little...

CC will bloom in December but it pending on bloom will take long time to open very slow...

I did send the link about CC's care...

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8863630

Yes, Rusty, thank you for the Christmas Cactus link. It was an excellent article. I have been doing a lot of research on the cactus.

I have an unheated garage they like. I also have a 1/2 bath that I could close the vent on, and it would stay quite cool and has no windows. I could put it in the half bath with a light on a timer. I also have a downstairs garage that works well to get C. cactus to bloom. But, what good does a blooming Christmas Cactus do, if it's in the downstairs garage? or in my half bath? or in my upstairs garage? My problem, would be getting the plant adjusted to a different location and different temps. The buds would all drop off. So, I don't think moving the plant to a "special" place is the answer.

So, I am trying to create an environment suitable for the Christmas Cactus where it is located.
The ones I put outside and take to the downstairs unheated garage bloom very well. They aren't pampered at all. The two I have in the house are fairly large and left inside. So, I was trying to get them to bloom. Perhaps as happ suggests, I should put them outside in the summer and bring the into the "location" I want them and perhaps they will bloom.

My dahlias are not supposed to withstand our freezing temps. I have them by a big rock and they flourish.

I also have Glads that come back every year and make offspring each year. They aren't suppose to withstand our temps either. They're just out in the open. Go figure.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8863766

Is it Christmas ?
This cactus is in our south dining room window.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2011

Post #8863768

This one is in south living room window.
These are all new windows with the low-E feature.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8863771

Out of 8 Christmas cactus in our house this is the biggest, about 3 feet across.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8863783

Looks like that big cactus is super happy there!! LOL

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8863976

Wow Bernie, those are some big Christmas Cactuses you got there, and 8 of them, you got a Christmas display flowering show going there.
Yeah they stayed there billyp, I haven't seen that bike in over a year, I think it went back. They are nice, they even had me in their house to see their baby about 3 mos ago.

No painting the shed today, much too windy, they said gusts up to 40 mph! I put caulk around the living room window frame and cleaned those windows instead.
I even have a photo of my window cleaning endeavors! In the photo I only had the first 2 storm windows off to clean all the windows good. I need to paint that window frame next.

Hehe! The shed really needs to be replaced or repaired because it is in bad need of something but my friend here isn't really all into that, she pays the cost to be the boss so I stay mum!
Haha! Yeah, I think the family took a better turn after that set of bullies! In 1999, I went to Cottonwood Falls, KS to the courthouse and searched thru the microfish only to find the hooligans! I had already heard of them from my paternal Grandfather, the hooligans were my great grandfather's siblings.

Yeah, she had a restful day Monday, she's back to work again.

So billyp, how is your new driveway holding up, no cracks? On The Peoples Court today a guy was suing because his concrete sidewalk started crumbling.

I'm kinda like the car salesman, The Wiz, you have to buy a car from him because of his numbskull gaze, my diversion is plants!
Yeah billyp, it's too bad that I bother the woman at times, but usually we get along fine.
Will

This message was edited Oct 26, 2011 9:51 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8864370

Wow Will, those windows look really nice! Windows are kind of hard to get clean. You always see a smudge.

CC: Nice Christmas Cactus. I was on my deck this AM and noticed my little ones that I started from cuttings are starting to get buds on them. And get this: the pots were standing in water!! So, I am thinking it's the light/darkness more than anything else. I am trying to remember to close the shades at dinner time and open them in the AM. Plus, I closed one of the heating vents. I can always take them downstairs, but I am afraid the buds would drop off when brought upstairs for them to be enjoyed.

It's overcast today. We're suppose to get a little rain. I have been watering my flowers. They're still blooming. The trees are starting to loose their leaves.

Man, Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be here before you know it. Do you have any "traditions" for those holidays? Since my grandparents and parents have died--traditions have gone by the wayside.

I picked up a real nice African violet on the clearance table at Lowe's recently. The leaves had been damaged a little bit--it is only an appearance thing. The plant is very healthy. Eventually, I will cut the torn leaves off.

A question to the cooks out there. I made a deep dish apple pie recently. I used Granny Smith Apples and Johnathons. I thought those would be the correct apples. My apples turned to mush. What do you think I did wrong? The only thing I can think of is I cooked them too long? I have used this recipe before and it turned out delicious. I used a pizza stone this time. I have done this with a peach pie and the bottom crusts is nice and crisp.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8864383

Well I picked all the tomatoes off the vines, well not really all of them but a roasting pan full, you should see all the tomatoes I left. Good grief.

I took off yesterday trying to get things ready for 29 degrees. I got cannas dug, ee's dug, plants I am going to overwinter in one spot, some things watered it is sooooo dry at my house digging was horrible, picked up the yard ornament stuff and ready to put away. Seems like I can never get done, I look and there is more...

Doesn't this look like harvest bounty.

My Christmas cactus bloom at so many different times, which is fine with me. Last year I bought 4 different colors I did have.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8864398

birder, they just cooked an apple something on channel 19 on America's Test Kitchen and they used those same apples because they were suppose to be the perfect apple if they were in season, but more toward late winter or early spring they said to use red delicious because they actually store better. Wonder if they were too ripe? Ohhhh, love the idea of the pizza stone, I hate soggy crust! yuck. Wish I could remember more about what they said...on the show.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8864979

happ: Well, that's what I thought when I bought the Granny Smiths and Johnathons, but they sure turned to mush. I am thinking I cooked them too long. I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

Here's some in put from a fellow Dave Garden member regarding Christmas Cactus. I thought you might be interested.

I am going to go ahead and respectfully disagree with some on this thread-- it is NOT the temperatures that are the important thing for getting a Schlumbergera to bloom. Short day/ long nights are what triggers bud formation. My cacti routinely make buds in 70* temps in my living room where there are no lights turned on after dark. I have some blooming now. It has been said that even five footcandles of light will prevent a Schlumbergera from blooming.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8865180

Thanks birder. Those windows really needed a cleaning, I don't think they've been cleaned in 20 years or so. Today, I cleaned the inside of those same windows with Glass Plus. I took off all the brass things like the locks and the handles and cleaned them with Brasso. I even rubbed Pledge on the frame and finished by slathering the wood frame inside with Holloway House Lemon Oil to make them shine like a new dime and smell heavenly.

I took a photo of them from the inside. I know that seems silly to even take a photo of the windows, but this way I can say, "I did too clean the windows, here they are and here's the date I did them on". I tell you, I sometimes have to show folks! Anyway, I'm all about elbow grease! In case anybody is wondering, the aluminum foil in those pots is to keep the cats out, I don't think they like the feeling of foil on their feet! I would love to keep them out of my pots, last year they did that big Ficus on the left like a litterbox! I took that photo around Noon today, it has cooled down considerably, the tv man is saying 49° this afternoon.

I brought in 4 little Italian Cypresses that I grew from seeds and a hanging planter of Strawberry Begonia tonite. I set my pot of TropiCanna(s) from Pepper by the garage door, to bring in soon. That is such a nice plant, it is going to make a great addition to my tropical area. I only have 4 Banana 'basjoo's and 2 Hibiscus 'Luna Red's in it so far, oh and 4 lava rocks, a big scallop seashell and 3 or 4 pieces of driftwood. That area better look tropical next year because I am jeopardizing my greenman reputation with about 500 lbs. of black (dyed) mulch all around that by gosh!! lol

Ewww.. 29° happ? I hope it doesn't get quite that cold soon, I mean the next couple days soon. That is alot of tomatoes there happ, assorted too!

Haha! Me a driving instructor?! Yeah, I don't think I could consider that. I'm really a good driver though. I'll have you know, I have a clean driving record! I've never had a DUI, actually that's pretty easy, because I rarely drink. I've canceled several auto insurances because they had raised my premium and I always know it's for no reason. But, I regret hitting that fireplug in the driveway, it bent the fender good. You can see the bent fender here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8841002 I guess it could be bent back, altho I'm not quite sure how to do it, that's solid metal. Initially, I did have to bend it a little to get it off the tire.

Where is that Patti or Crit? It has been a while since she injured her finger, I hope it's healing up with time.

Anybody want some Mimosa seedlings? I have 4 or 5 of them that volunteer grew right in the middle of some pots of dirt, so I left them, happ, can I interest you in a Mimosa(s), they are hardy here, anybody?
Well, time to get on the treadmill, I am trying to work off this belly! Would anyone like me to grow them a Persimmon tree from a seed? I know where to get the seeds, at least 2 if you want fruit.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8866714

Don't pay the ransom, I've escaped!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I know, I haven't been around for a while. Been busy trying to unpack/repack boxes in the garage so we can get both vehicles in there this winter. Guess it is about time...been here 2 years December. :-) I brought home a bunch of stuff from work before we closed too that I am sorting and putting where I want it.. Things I want to keep, but not put out I am repacking in better boxes so we can put on the shelves DH put up in the garage. It's a BIG job. DH asked that I do just 2 boxes a day, but some days I get on a roll and do a bunch. Other days I don't feel up to doing it and don't do any!

In talking about the CC's, I'm wondering if some of those are Thanksgiving Cactus. They are hard to tell apart. I have 2 small Zygo's that are still outside and putting on new segments. I think they are buds but then they turn out to be another segment.

pepper ... I am trying to gather up different colors of Canna's if you have more that you need to find new homes for. If planted in the ground, which is what I plan to do, you don't have to lift them here. I do have some in pots that I lift for the winter. Am afraid to leave them in the pots for the winter. Especially after the winter we had last year, I'm afraid they would end up mush.

When my mom died several years ago in August, I was going to go over to my uncles, who lived in Tulsa, and get some family stories from him on tape. He told us a bunch of stories when he was there for my mom's funeral. He was a great story teller. MY BAD, I kept putting it off then he died in November that same year. :-( My grandparents came here from Italy and Germany. I still have a couple of aunt's left but they are in other states.

Finger is all healed on the outside ... just waiting to see if the nerves rejoin. Dr. seemed to think by the time I see him the end of November I should have pretty good feeling back. Sometimes I think maybe it is getting a little better on the end, but the side is still totally numb. Still need prayers that is heals up and I get feeling back. I'm always afraid of cutting it, smashing it or something and not being able to feel it.

I too have mimosa seedings all over the place, plus some seed I saved.

I'll try to check in more often. Thanks Will for asking about me!

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8867263

Crit, good to hear from you and better to hear your finger is healing. It took my husband's six months.

If I were you, I would try to visit the elderly relatives. You only get a few years to find stuff out. My cousin just informed me my grandfather came to America from Ireland, and he was actually from England. NOw, we're wondering what's what. I think every family has some interesting stories that need to be passed on.

I know there's Thanksgiving Cactus, Christmas Cactus, and Easter Cactus. I have tried to figure out which ones are which. I think the Thanksgiving Cactus are the most common in households as they show up in the stores for Christmas holidays around Thanksgiving. Tina Bolin wrote an article on Daves Garden about the different types of holiday cactus:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/392/
I found it very intresting. I have one holiday cactus that has narrower leaves than the other cactus. So, I am sure it's a different kind, but I sure can't tell which is which.

Crit: I spent the entire day yesterday going through "stuff" in the upstairs garage and in the downstairs garage. I wanted to throw things away, but mostly re-organized stuff. Some of it had been scattered around in four different places. I need to go back through the stuff again and part with some of the stuff. I hate doing that kind of job.

I also brought in many of my plants from outside yesterday. I did some geranium cuttings. They needed to be trimmed up. If they don't make it, oh well.

We received about an inch of rain a couple of days ago. Temps have been cool. Tonight it is suppose to get down to 33 degrees. Every plant has been brought in. I still have a few yard decorations I need to bring in. The flowers have sure been beautiful this fall. The snapdragon blooms are larger than normal. It's like they are happy with the cooler weather. I know they do prefer cool weather.

I still have spring bulbs to plant and larkspur seed to sow. That job will have to be done tomorrow.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8867543

Hi Crit, welcome back, I'm glad to hear your finger is doing better. I don't think I'd be too optimistic about getting all the feeling back until sometime next year. I'm not trying to be all negative and stuff, but that would stink to have a doctor have you thinking it should be all well, way too soon. In my experience, it could take many months for nerve damage to heal. The side of a big toe got some numbness in June of 2010 or so and it's still a little numb!

Ooohh, there's 3 Christmas Cactuses? Oh boy, I want one but I'd want a genuine Christmas Cactus! I shoulda got a cutting from an Aunt before we stopped speaking.

Oh, I forgot to say, birder, the windows that I cleaned recently have plenty of smudges, I just have to keep thinking, "well, they are better than they used to be!"
I love Cannas too, the TropiCanna really fills the bill in my "tropical spot". Now, I've got to get a Bird of Paradise! Here's my TropiCanna! I couldn't find a recent photo of the whole TropiCanna.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8868731

Hey congratulations Pepper! I saw you won the best domesticated animal first place! That is a really good photo of you're cat.
I went to Home Depot and Lowes tonite, they have some really good half price deals left.
I bought 4 of them at Lowes and right after I left the cash register I noticed that only 1 of the 4 rang up right. I went back (I hadn't got to my car) and nicely told her (and looked a little peeved, which I was), she was apologetic and everything and gave me one of them for a dollar (it was only supposed to be $1.68), that was rang up the first time for $2.99 plus tax, and it's not tiny, the Hyssop is about 18" tall. I got 2 Spirea 'Goldflame's - $3.49 ea., a Hyssop for $1.00, and a lilac for $3.49. The only one for sure that I know where I want to plant it is the Hyssop, I want it to look like billyp's Hyssop by that wall. For a dollar, the Hyssop even had some purple flowers on it. At The Home Depot I couldn't resist a Dwarf Mugo Pine for $3.49.

Does anyone know if the Porcelain Vine gets the blue berries with only one plant? They have them half price for $4.49 but if just one won't berry then I'll pass, (I only have a place for one). If they get berries with just one then I'll get it and I wanna get this one other plant that will look real nice when it gets all grown up, a 'Pom Pom' juniper topiary plant for $27. Altho, I don't know if I should buy that, I might have to put it on my head and walk out, just say it's a hat! I tell you, this is the time to shop the box-stores, well, actually the selection is dwindling rapidly now I noticed. I was just at The Home Depot a few days ago and they had moved all the inventory up and it was quite a bit smaller today. The box-store gardener like myself is in hog mud there right now!

I don't know if anybody is familiar with a restaurant called Stephensons here in Independence, MO., but I went there tonite to get some Wisteria seeds before the sun went down. It's vacant and there is this big Wisteria on an old dilapidated arbor. If there was ever a reason to use sturdy wood or at least treated wood, this is it, it was collapsed under this Wisteria in some places but not all. I took a photo of a collapsed part.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8868815

Birder,
All good advice. I hope you get blooms on the indoor cactus. I've been offered pieces over the years, but never had the proper places to care for them, so I never took any. I just enjoy everyone else's blooms :o)

I wish I could find a mini environment to keep the glads and dahlias alive. We just get too cold too far down.

Bernie,
You've mastered cactus too? I shouldn't be suprised, LOL! All are beautiful!!

Will,
There's nothing more satisfying than winter proofing and clean windows. Unless we get Indian Summer, I'm going thru winter with rain dusted windows :o(

I actuallly was imagining that after the driveway overwinters. I sure hope not!!

NICE! CLEAN! windows. I'm envious!!

Birder,
Aaaarrrggg! I don't even have room in the freezer for a turkey yet. It's going to come real fast!!

No, no traditions and that is sad. My Great Aunt always brought homemede chicken and noodles, Her eggs, her chicken. She cut the egg noodles in tiny slivers.

My Mom used to keep a couple african violets. I never did get any for here altho I have the perfect spot for one in a north window. Maybe when the cats are gone...

Wow, your pie should have been perfect. Maybe the apples themselves had lost a bit of crispness. I am so careful at the store now to not get a dull apple. They're older I think. I look for the cold shiny ones they just put out.

Happ,
Cracking up! I picked off every largish, no matter how green, tomato I could, as I pulled the plants :o)

You did what I have done :o) That was a good days work!

Those tomatoes sure look good to me. Wah, I miss summer!

Will,
I wouldn't be able to stop looking out the window and sniffing around me. Now, how many windows are left in the house?...

The pictures from inside look great! You can really tell when you've washed windows.

Crit,
Grinning, you'll have to tell us how in case any of us are captured in the future, LOL!
Oh, I know.. Take the little yahoo's home works for me. Both are up and raring to play games on the computer :o) Yet, here Grandma sits :o)

I would not be able to stop the roll. I love sorting and putting away!

And it's so hard to remember the stories already told too. I'll bet we all have missed the chance to talk to the more colorful family members.

If you have that much feeling, then I think most of the rest will come back. There might be scar tissue that never has any feeling. Thank goodness you didn't lose it. That's something right there!

Will,
Grinning over the buys and the wisteria seed :o)

Wow, it came tumbliing down!

Well, the boys are restless, the cat wants back out... again, I need to take down their beds, so amid distractions I better just go, LOL!

Have a great day everyone!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 30, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8868927

I take no credit for houseplants. That's DW deal. I call them weeds & get hollered at.

Not to bad of a day. Light wind & partly cloudy. 42º

Going to an Estate auction today. People collected cookie jars. Somewhere around 1500 they say. It started yesterday & will go for 6 Saturday & Sunday's.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8869172

Now that is alot of cookie jars, we have a place called dust bunnies and she has a big selection of cookie jars for sale, have no idea how many, but I know she can't display all of them at once. Auctions are tough places. Last auction I bid at I was bidding on a Murphy Bed and I won, only problem is I was driving an MG midget...rofl. I had to leave my friend basically standing on the corner with the Murphy Bed while I went to find a truck and some friends...rofl. The auction was held at the bank during Santa Caligon..rofl. Still have the bed and the friend... ;)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8869384

I made this witch jack o' lantern hanger few years back...

Happy Halloween!

This message was edited Oct 30, 2011 3:13 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8869663

Cute Rusty!!

I've been doing nothing all day. lol. Pretty tired after a busy week and now am making sure I have everything ready to go for tomorrow.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 30, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8869666

That auction was a bust. They were doing all the boxes of junk that came with good stuff at auctions these people attended. Also NW wind was blowing right where we were to sit.
Went to Mankato Auction House & scored big time. An oak drop front desk for $40, a cute little secretary for $30, 2 sewing baskets for $10 each, a piano stool for $30. Lots of glassware for $39. A bunch of blankets & quilts for $10.
A huge pile of dollies for $17.

Now it all needs to be cataloged, cleaned & labeled for the shop.
I'll do pictures shortly.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8870039

Bernie,
Grinning at DW! Well, she's got some beautiful ''weeds!"

Oh my. Cookie jars. I'll bet a lot of them were fantastic!

Happ,
Cracking up over the Murphy Bed! I have one. Good Lord, how did you lift it into the truck?

Rusty,
That is adorable!!

Pepper,
Tomorrow is today. Getting ready for...?

Bernie,
What a huge disappointment over those cookie jars :o(

Awesome buys on the rest tho!

It was a busy weekend with the boys so a quiet week is appreciated. I need to get out and walk. I'm sitting at the computer too long these cold mornings.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8870342

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

That is a cute pumpkin witch, I really like that one.

Sounds like you got a lot of stuff even if they weren't cookie jars...we have/had a spot in an antique mall, but I think we are giving it up at the end of this month, maybe start it again when I am retired. Just too much going on.

billy, luckily the murphy bed top came off, and about 5 of us lifted it into the truck. It has been with me since about 1975/6 something like that. It is in my antique bedroom, or should say will be, we need to do some tightening up on things it has gotten all wobbley.

Have a great day and night all!

Thumbnail by happgarden

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8870886

Here is my 5 half price or less specials from the box stores. I am a box store gardener and I am proud!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2011

Post #8870887

Can anybody say free rocks?! You know, they are free on the side of the road I hear!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2011

Post #8870889

Yes Rusty, cool pumpkin witch. It looks like it might hang over the porch light. That thing is mesmerizing, I keep looking at it! Whaddaya got there happ, a kitty sitting on a pumpkin? And it's black! Ot oh! I used to have a black cat, my friend is a cat lover and she always made me make sure that it was in the house on Halloween! There is that great big mule! What a nice Fall trip that would be, Pepper.

I found the historical house that I want so bad and it's for sale! But, there is no way I could get it, I'm just dreaming..lol They only want $121,000 for it. It was built in 1870, it's real old. There has been so many modifications lately that I don't know how desirable it is as a historic house now. It's in the same small city in Kansas as my lot, I drove to it expecting it to still be a B&B, but instead found it empty and for sale. The biggest thing that I couldn't believe was they recently put vinyl siding on it. Isn't vinyl siding a big no-no for a historic home?, that's like replacing the skinny wooden windows with aluminum storm windows, unheard of I thought! They didn't do that to the windows thank goodness. I looked for it at - http://www.historicproperties.com I found one in Plattsburg that happ mighta been referring to - http://www.historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=ncpla010 and some in St. Joseph, that one in KS. wasn't on there, I never found it anyway. I'm gonna have to keep that site marked because I want an old home someday!

Thanks billyp, haha, there's lots of windows left! I guess I'll need to wash them eventually! : ) You can really tell that third window is dirty though, I need to fix our old, rickety 6 foot step ladder first tho. It's so old, it's getting like foam at the bottom of the legs, and I can't reach the screws on that third window without a ladder, I tell you, it isn't easy being vertically challenged!

Yes, that is alot of cookie jars. Well, better luck next time Bernie, altho you still got some good items cheap, let's see those pictures!

I got all those plants from the box stores, plus some I already had, planted, well, all planted from the box stores recently but one, the Hyssop, I know where I want to plant it, but that spot isn't ready.
It was a Lilac 'James Macfarlane', the Dwarf Mugo Pine, a Spirea 'Golden Flame', a Big Twister Bush, a Purple Coneflower pot of plants, and an Ozark Witch Hazel.
If I can't have a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick tree then I'll have a Big Twister Bush for gosh sakes! I don't intend for any of those from the box stores to die on me over the Winter, they are all supposed to be hardy. I don't know though, a Big Twister Bush for $3.49?, it's almost too good to be true, I guess we'll see! I dunno, can you put a question mark in the middle of a sentence?!

Yes, happy Halloween! The porch light here will be off though, I hope we don't get egged!

I remember I was robbed at gunpoint on the graveyard shift of a convenience store, 22 years ago today, at 3am in the morning, he wasn't even wearing a mask!

We should have a Spring RoundUp, there is alot of knowledgeable and friendly members here, we should get back together sometime! You know, even lurkers are welcome!
Altho, me myself couldn't travel far due to the money situation. It's a bad deal all around I'm sure, the forums for all the regions can cover so many states, which is good, but that just means, unfortunately, there will always be big driving for some. I'm not suggesting smaller regions or anything, I'm just saying there's alot of geography for all the forums, not just ours. I'm sure that if there were smaller regions there'd be less participation and less knowledge being shared, which wouldn't be good. I think there is alot of fine people in the central midwest, but much discretionary income probably isn't a great attribute in this region, speaking for myself haha, I know it isn't for me!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2011 7:48 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8871139

Will, the house looks like a doll house in your pic. lol

I hope everyone had a great Halloween!! And I hope the Chiefs win!!! lol

I have a pic of me in my costume but got home late today due to a Haunted School tour and stopping to see a friend and my dog-neice. lol. Tomorrow will hopefully get to it.

Will, that mule was a nice size. Nice temperment too.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2011
3:28 AM

Post #8871479

I made new thread forum go there:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227994/

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8872263

Hey, Will look at your photo of the rocks, I would be careful cause it looks like a ghost is in that photo! Hewwwwwwwwwwww!

Yes the main drag thru Plattsburg is full of historic or from that time of the century and alot of them right now are for sale. They are beautiful. Christmas most of them are really decorated up and it is just amazing. Probably like most small cities. That house you had the picture of, he worked for Ford, he just barely got it done in time for his daughter to get married there.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8872642

Hehe, a doll house, yes it does! It would look more 1870's if they'd left the stone siding instead of covering it with vinyl siding. In this photo is an old shed on the property that the documentation that I read is as old as the house. It's probably the same stone siding as the house. I also read somewhere that when vinyl siding is used alot of times the installation removes some parts of the window frames and stuff, which would also stink if someone wanted to take the vinyl off, it would be impossible to replace the original vintage parts that got taken off. Here's that old shed in the back that I was telling about, you can tell it's older.

Eeek! A ghost on the rocks!? Hehe, the camera was taking the photo thru the window, maybe that was it, I don't want no steenking ghosts on my rocks!
Wow, small world, that house in Plattsburg, MO. is a nice one.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8873145

Boy that would be a sin to have covered up that beautiful stone work...probably did it for insulation reasons. Almost all of the old homes in Plattsburg have been unmodernized...rolf, I am sure that is not a word.

Well looks like winter out the window, dark, no sun, course it was warm this morning coming into the office.

Had to laugh at the pic Will, taken on Halloween and a "ghostly" image...rofl. Did you get the rocks?

I spent yesterday mostly trying to clean up stuff that had been scattered all over the yard. I am going to have to put doors on the potting bench because the wind is so strong up there the pots get blown all over and I am always having to gather them up. Think I have most of the yard ornaments up, I have a heater for the bird bath so need to get that out along with an electrical cord.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 2, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8873155

Thread closed! New thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227994/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America