CLOSED: Birthday Club # 16 Cards Only Come One Come All

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

After much consideration I have decided to go ahead and change the way the Birthday Club works. I think in deference to the economic times we are in I am going to change this from a gifting kind of thing to CARDS ONLY. This change will go into effect starting in January 2012. I think that is the most fair way to do it so that the people at the end of this year who have played along nicely all year will still get their gifts from everyone.

So everyone that has a birthday starting in January will get a card from each of us in the birthday club sometime the month of their birthday. It is really a lot of fun to get snail mail these days anyway since we all live in such an electronic world. If you are so inclined to want to include a pack of seeds or something flat in with the card that is strictly up to you and should not in anyway be expected by the birthday girl.

I am hoping that this will encourage some of the people that have left us and some that would like to join, but are unemployed, to jump in and make this grow. Just think about getting 10 or 20 or 30 cards in your birthday month! So spread the word far and wide and lets see if we can make some new friends and have a sort of old fashioned pen pal arrangement.

We still want to chat and joke and know what is going on in everyone's life just like before, but at least this should remove the financial burden for a lot of people. Organized people can even get all their cards at the beginning of the year and get them all set up to go during those slow winter months.

Thanks a bunch to all of you for hanging in there and trying to make this work. I don't want it to go by the wayside. I have left the likes and dislikes lists attached for any new members that come on board as well as us old folks to look at so that we can send that extra special card. Everyone has special interests and we should remind ourselves of them now and then.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8142063
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8057458
Carolyn22 (Carolyn) April 3
AmandaEsq (Amanda) April 6
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7958412
momoftwo607 (Erin) May 6 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7885884
Crit (Patti) May 10 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8217784
Mud_Elf (Kris) May 10
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8039522
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7896427
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886786
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8242576
Cville_Gardener (Carole) Nov. 30 Effective on 1/2012
Dahtzu (Faye) December 25
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8005430

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 7:44 AM

This message was edited Oct 5, 2011 6:31 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Good Morning!!

43 degrees here this morning and no one wants to go out. Not the cats, not the dog, not me. Oh well. I'll shove them out there anyway. :0) It's Monday, but if we survive today then the worst is over for the week right?

Athens, PA

Ditto! Is it ever Monday! They are calling for a possible frost later this week. I am just not ready for that - not that I ever am! ^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

^_^

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I thought that I remembered reading in one of our threads that someone needed plant tags? Hope my memory served me right today. lol =)

Erin

Athens, PA

Hey Erin - how are you? I have to tell you that I think of you when I go into my garden and look at all the gorgeous dahlias you gave to me..... they so beautiful! Thank you.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Good I'm glad they are doing good for you. I am looking for myrtle's folly. I did find it on swan island's website but was hoping that someone had it for postage. I would like some dinnerplate dahlias. How did otto's thrill do for you? Mine is growing but hasn't bloomed. =( Maybe next season. Going to make cinnamon rolls with my little man, talk to you later.

Erin

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

G'Morning everyone!

Yes, Neener, I looked at the weather and high temps will be in the mid-low 70s and overnight lows high 40s-low 50s. All this wind made me think this was the kind of system that would typically come thru in October but WITH RAIN! Thank goodness. If I wasn't ready for the temperature dip, I am certainly not ready for the windy rainy fall day that makes all the leaves come down. :P

While there are a lot of folks I know on this thread, there are just as many that I don't know! It helps when you sign with your real name. Also - I wonder about putting up a "like" page so you can get to know me a little better, and so I have a link next to my name, above. Maybe a goofy little bio so you will all feel as comfortable making fun of me as some other ladies do.

Have a great day!

A.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Good Mornin' all. Today is my first "work week" day of unemployment. I plan on spending it in my yard moving my daylilies to a new spot I have made for them. Still odd not being able to feel my finger, and my thumbs and wrists hurt, but somehow I don't notice it when I am working with my plants. ^_^

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome to "retirement" Patti. You will now be busier than you ever were when you got paid to work. :0)

Athens, PA

Did the unemployment thing a couple of years ago - unfortunately it was not during gardening season :(

Erin - poor Otto didn't flower this year. Hopefully next year. It was not a good dahlia year this past year. I am hoping next year is better..... I looked up Myrtle's Folly - it's a stunner! Hopefully in the spring, I'll have more dahlias to share - I know I sent out a lot last spring.

I like Amanda's idea of a little bio - perhaps we can each write our own and then have it linked??

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Neener does already maintain a Wants, Likes and Dislikes List for the Birthday Club and people have been using that. That seems sufficient to me.

It's here ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

Athens, PA

Oh Carole - good to know.

Thanks

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Yep Carolyn use that list if you can. Lets just get to know each other through the everyday chatter that goes on here. We all know we are special. :)))))

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Hey Everyone!!

I would like to rejoin in January since we will be doing cards only and it is much easier for me to do since we are now living on the pond!!

Huggs

Elfie

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yay, Elfie. ^_^

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Yippee Elfie!!! Sounds great to me. This is going to be so much more fun. Maybe we can single handedly save the Postal System from itself. Hee Hee..

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

We've missed you, Elfie! I think it's cool you and Patti share the same special day in May.

Awwww,, I have missed you all too.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Paula not got it?? i mailed it first class but guess thats pony express way the postmen are acting now.. i stood in line to mail a book 35 min. at the main post office big , one clerk and lots people in line.. but hope it has arrived by now and your better to..blessings..

Hello all , can't sleep so got this to boot up.. all the beautiful brugs has me oh, oh , woww........

i will be week late on the early oct. but will get pks. mailed .. sorry..

Blackshear, GA

Hi Twyla,
Yes I did get it...thank you so much!! I have been so busy haven't had time to post. Twyla sent all kinds of goodies...garden gloves, a lanyard (need that), 'mouse' pad, a very nice bag that I can use for anything, and several other things. I will get a picture this morning and post it and list everything. Sorry, I'm dragging.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Just to let you know that cute comes in all sizes, even 80# ones.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Blackshear, GA

Well bless it's little heart!! How cute.

Here are the things Twyla sent....

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yep, that's definitely cute, Joy.

Nice, Paula.

^_^

Educate me, Joy. Is 80# the average size of a newborn calf? Or are they naturally big in Texas...lol

Erin, I've got the seeds you wanted me to save and will pop them in the mail in case you're planning to Winter Sow.

Dahlia "Hy Lustre" is blooming and decided to cut one of its pom-pom blooms off and enjoy it on my desk.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm, 60 to 100# depending on nutrition, breed, age of cow, first timer or not, etc. This little girly is a bit smaller than Polly's calf last year but has tons of bone and Polly has mucho milk so we will get a lot of growth and not have a problem. Most likely due to the drought this year, nutrition isn't what it could be.

Joy

Blackshear, GA

Fruity,
that is beautiful! It doesn't even look real. I love how the petals curl.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Mud_Elf, welcome back!
Joy, that baby calf of 80# is bigger than my full-grown guide dog at 70# ... Bet she's cute, though :)
We had our first rain storm of the season go through yesterday. Another is expected this evening/tonight into tomorrow morning. Maybe some more Thursday morning. The rain's a bit early for us, but fits right in with our funny weather this year. I'm just hoping that the two stalks of tuberose buds get to bloom all right before the weather gets really bad.
I harvested my first Amaryllis Belladonna seeds yesterday (four seeds from that pod) with more on the way. Need to get them planted!
Carole, which part of California are you from?
Neener, sadly, your surprise has been delayed slightly... Hate it when there are mistakes in the pattern! I think we've figured out what I need to do differently. Just takes some time to fix, and things got busier again. Will let you know when your card and surprise are on their way.
Well, take care all. Stay warm, safe, and dry! :)
Michelle

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

No worries Michelle!! We are heading out on vacation at the end of the week. be gone for my birthday anyway. My Mom will be housesitting, so I will get her to tell me what mail there is.

We have neighbors who raise cattle for a living, mostly Angus, and will ask them the average weight of their newborn calves, but doubt theirs are as hefty as Polly's calf. We went down to their barn last week to see three newborn Bulls that might have weighed 50# apiece. One's mother was an old cow with hardly any milk and they are bottle feeding that one twice a day.

Thanks, Paula! It's one of only three so far that have bloomed from about 10 different tubers I planted in the Spring. Hope I get a few more to bloom before frost that traditionally hits us around Halloween, although last year it was mid-November. I know I lost several tubers to the kitties digging. Pretty sad but will take what I can get. They are hubby's favorite flower and will need to be lifted. Certainly not the chore though lifting Cannas used to be.

Just got home, I am tired, however I did bring a stash of cards with me. So All I need now is a roll of stamps and a few other little things and I will be ready for sending out Birthday cards again. ;0)

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Its suppose to frost here tonight. Probably be the last of the dahlias. =/ I'll be happy when its spring again.

Erin

Say it ain't so! Hubby just said yesterday, based on the way his bones already feel, that we're in for a dozy of a Winter. Been married to him 17 years and he's hardly ever been wrong. Wonder what the Farmer's Almanac is predicting?

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I absolutely hate driving in the winter. It gives me anxiety just thinking about it. I'm glad that I'm home with the kids. Frost advisory for tomorrow night too. Then we're suppose have 76 for saturday? nuts.

Athens, PA

I am hoping that a fenced in back yard keeps the frost from hitting my dahlias.... it's been a strange dahlia year and some are just starting to flower.... :(

Brought in the callas last night and took cuttings from the dragonwing. I should think about bringing in my fuschia....

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Froots say it ain't so. No bad winters allowed here. I have things that have to happen. :0)

As strange as the weather has been though it could be a doozy. Leaves are kind of falling here and I am so not ready for that chore.

Elfie sounds like you are ready to roll. Sure glad we did it this way. I think in the long run it will work better for everyone.

Wish me luck. Having my big annual physical today. Hours of poking and prodding and testing coming up. Hope I am going to get the news that I will be living another year. :0)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Definitely wishing you good news from that physical, Neener. Have a great vacation!

No frost here yet and it was 80 yesterday (same predicted today and on through the week). Cooler at night though.

My Dinnerplate Dahlias are still blooming. The colors of 'Akita' have changed and deepened with the colder weather and that one is spectacular.

Michelle, the last place we lived in CA was Redding (17 years). Before that we were in So. Cal for a long time. ^_^

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Some of my dahlias are just starting to bloom too? It has been a weird year. I am happy for the warm weather coming. Would like to get some more stuff done outside. Off to do weed another garden for a client this afternoon. =) Have a good day everyone.

Erin

I need to transfer my dahlias From the old house to the pond. Does anyone know if you can grow them in pots?? I do not want to leave them here when I move.

Yup just need stamps and I am ready. Should I send out cards to folks for the rest of this year too??

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

You don't have to send cards for this year Elfie. New deal doesn't start until January. :0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.