Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Birthday Club # 16 Cards Only Come One Come All

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 143, Views: 717
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8833859

After much consideration I have decided to go ahead and change the way the Birthday Club works. I think in deference to the economic times we are in I am going to change this from a gifting kind of thing to CARDS ONLY. This change will go into effect starting in January 2012. I think that is the most fair way to do it so that the people at the end of this year who have played along nicely all year will still get their gifts from everyone.

So everyone that has a birthday starting in January will get a card from each of us in the birthday club sometime the month of their birthday. It is really a lot of fun to get snail mail these days anyway since we all live in such an electronic world. If you are so inclined to want to include a pack of seeds or something flat in with the card that is strictly up to you and should not in anyway be expected by the birthday girl.

I am hoping that this will encourage some of the people that have left us and some that would like to join, but are unemployed, to jump in and make this grow. Just think about getting 10 or 20 or 30 cards in your birthday month! So spread the word far and wide and lets see if we can make some new friends and have a sort of old fashioned pen pal arrangement.

We still want to chat and joke and know what is going on in everyone's life just like before, but at least this should remove the financial burden for a lot of people. Organized people can even get all their cards at the beginning of the year and get them all set up to go during those slow winter months.

Thanks a bunch to all of you for hanging in there and trying to make this work. I don't want it to go by the wayside. I have left the likes and dislikes lists attached for any new members that come on board as well as us old folks to look at so that we can send that extra special card. Everyone has special interests and we should remind ourselves of them now and then.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8142063
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8057458
Carolyn22 (Carolyn) April 3
AmandaEsq (Amanda) April 6
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7958412
momoftwo607 (Erin) May 6 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7885884
Crit (Patti) May 10 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8217784
Mud_Elf (Kris) May 10
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8039522
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7896427
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886786
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8242576
Cville_Gardener (Carole) Nov. 30 Effective on 1/2012
Dahtzu (Faye) December 25
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8005430

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 7:44 AM

This message was edited Oct 5, 2011 6:31 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8833864

Good Morning!!

43 degrees here this morning and no one wants to go out. Not the cats, not the dog, not me. Oh well. I'll shove them out there anyway. :0) It's Monday, but if we survive today then the worst is over for the week right?

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8833869

Ditto! Is it ever Monday! They are calling for a possible frost later this week. I am just not ready for that - not that I ever am! ^_^

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8833976

^_^
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8833978

I thought that I remembered reading in one of our threads that someone needed plant tags? Hope my memory served me right today. lol =)

Erin
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8834036

Hey Erin - how are you? I have to tell you that I think of you when I go into my garden and look at all the gorgeous dahlias you gave to me... they so beautiful! Thank you.
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8834103

Good I'm glad they are doing good for you. I am looking for myrtle's folly. I did find it on swan island's website but was hoping that someone had it for postage. I would like some dinnerplate dahlias. How did otto's thrill do for you? Mine is growing but hasn't bloomed. =( Maybe next season. Going to make cinnamon rolls with my little man, talk to you later.

Erin

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8834146

G'Morning everyone!

Yes, Neener, I looked at the weather and high temps will be in the mid-low 70s and overnight lows high 40s-low 50s. All this wind made me think this was the kind of system that would typically come thru in October but WITH RAIN! Thank goodness. If I wasn't ready for the temperature dip, I am certainly not ready for the windy rainy fall day that makes all the leaves come down. :P

While there are a lot of folks I know on this thread, there are just as many that I don't know! It helps when you sign with your real name. Also - I wonder about putting up a "like" page so you can get to know me a little better, and so I have a link next to my name, above. Maybe a goofy little bio so you will all feel as comfortable making fun of me as some other ladies do.

Have a great day!

A.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8834154

Good Mornin' all. Today is my first "work week" day of unemployment. I plan on spending it in my yard moving my daylilies to a new spot I have made for them. Still odd not being able to feel my finger, and my thumbs and wrists hurt, but somehow I don't notice it when I am working with my plants. ^_^
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8834179

Welcome to "retirement" Patti. You will now be busier than you ever were when you got paid to work. :0)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8834209

Did the unemployment thing a couple of years ago - unfortunately it was not during gardening season :(

Erin - poor Otto didn't flower this year. Hopefully next year. It was not a good dahlia year this past year. I am hoping next year is better... I looked up Myrtle's Folly - it's a stunner! Hopefully in the spring, I'll have more dahlias to share - I know I sent out a lot last spring.

I like Amanda's idea of a little bio - perhaps we can each write our own and then have it linked??

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8834234

Neener does already maintain a Wants, Likes and Dislikes List for the Birthday Club and people have been using that. That seems sufficient to me.

It's here ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8834243

Oh Carole - good to know.

Thanks
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8834362

Yep Carolyn use that list if you can. Lets just get to know each other through the everyday chatter that goes on here. We all know we are special. :)))))

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8834504

Hey Everyone!!

I would like to rejoin in January since we will be doing cards only and it is much easier for me to do since we are now living on the pond!!

Huggs

Elfie

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8834513

Yay, Elfie. ^_^
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8834733

Yippee Elfie!!! Sounds great to me. This is going to be so much more fun. Maybe we can single handedly save the Postal System from itself. Hee Hee..
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8834983

We've missed you, Elfie! I think it's cool you and Patti share the same special day in May.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8835150

Awwww,, I have missed you all too.

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8835267

Paula not got it?? i mailed it first class but guess thats pony express way the postmen are acting now.. i stood in line to mail a book 35 min. at the main post office big , one clerk and lots people in line.. but hope it has arrived by now and your better to..blessings..

Hello all , can't sleep so got this to boot up.. all the beautiful brugs has me oh, oh , woww...

i will be week late on the early oct. but will get pks. mailed .. sorry..
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 4, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8835302

Hi Twyla,
Yes I did get it...thank you so much!! I have been so busy haven't had time to post. Twyla sent all kinds of goodies...garden gloves, a lanyard (need that), 'mouse' pad, a very nice bag that I can use for anything, and several other things. I will get a picture this morning and post it and list everything. Sorry, I'm dragging.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8835936

Just to let you know that cute comes in all sizes, even 80# ones.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 4, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8835974

Well bless it's little heart!! How cute.

Here are the things Twyla sent...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8836070

Yep, that's definitely cute, Joy.

Nice, Paula.

^_^
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8836093

Educate me, Joy. Is 80# the average size of a newborn calf? Or are they naturally big in Texas...lol

Erin, I've got the seeds you wanted me to save and will pop them in the mail in case you're planning to Winter Sow.

Dahlia "Hy Lustre" is blooming and decided to cut one of its pom-pom blooms off and enjoy it on my desk.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8836147

Hmmm, 60 to 100# depending on nutrition, breed, age of cow, first timer or not, etc. This little girly is a bit smaller than Polly's calf last year but has tons of bone and Polly has mucho milk so we will get a lot of growth and not have a problem. Most likely due to the drought this year, nutrition isn't what it could be.

Joy
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 4, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8836169

Fruity,
that is beautiful! It doesn't even look real. I love how the petals curl.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8836208

Hi, all.
Mud_Elf, welcome back!
Joy, that baby calf of 80# is bigger than my full-grown guide dog at 70# ... Bet she's cute, though :)
We had our first rain storm of the season go through yesterday. Another is expected this evening/tonight into tomorrow morning. Maybe some more Thursday morning. The rain's a bit early for us, but fits right in with our funny weather this year. I'm just hoping that the two stalks of tuberose buds get to bloom all right before the weather gets really bad.
I harvested my first Amaryllis Belladonna seeds yesterday (four seeds from that pod) with more on the way. Need to get them planted!
Carole, which part of California are you from?
Neener, sadly, your surprise has been delayed slightly... Hate it when there are mistakes in the pattern! I think we've figured out what I need to do differently. Just takes some time to fix, and things got busier again. Will let you know when your card and surprise are on their way.
Well, take care all. Stay warm, safe, and dry! :)
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8836237

No worries Michelle!! We are heading out on vacation at the end of the week. be gone for my birthday anyway. My Mom will be housesitting, so I will get her to tell me what mail there is.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8836241

We have neighbors who raise cattle for a living, mostly Angus, and will ask them the average weight of their newborn calves, but doubt theirs are as hefty as Polly's calf. We went down to their barn last week to see three newborn Bulls that might have weighed 50# apiece. One's mother was an old cow with hardly any milk and they are bottle feeding that one twice a day.

Thanks, Paula! It's one of only three so far that have bloomed from about 10 different tubers I planted in the Spring. Hope I get a few more to bloom before frost that traditionally hits us around Halloween, although last year it was mid-November. I know I lost several tubers to the kitties digging. Pretty sad but will take what I can get. They are hubby's favorite flower and will need to be lifted. Certainly not the chore though lifting Cannas used to be.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8836246

Just got home, I am tired, however I did bring a stash of cards with me. So All I need now is a roll of stamps and a few other little things and I will be ready for sending out Birthday cards again. ;0)
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8836277

Its suppose to frost here tonight. Probably be the last of the dahlias. =/ I'll be happy when its spring again.

Erin
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8836362

Say it ain't so! Hubby just said yesterday, based on the way his bones already feel, that we're in for a dozy of a Winter. Been married to him 17 years and he's hardly ever been wrong. Wonder what the Farmer's Almanac is predicting?

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8836367

I absolutely hate driving in the winter. It gives me anxiety just thinking about it. I'm glad that I'm home with the kids. Frost advisory for tomorrow night too. Then we're suppose have 76 for saturday? nuts.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8836697

I am hoping that a fenced in back yard keeps the frost from hitting my dahlias... it's been a strange dahlia year and some are just starting to flower... :(

Brought in the callas last night and took cuttings from the dragonwing. I should think about bringing in my fuschia...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8836707

Froots say it ain't so. No bad winters allowed here. I have things that have to happen. :0)

As strange as the weather has been though it could be a doozy. Leaves are kind of falling here and I am so not ready for that chore.

Elfie sounds like you are ready to roll. Sure glad we did it this way. I think in the long run it will work better for everyone.

Wish me luck. Having my big annual physical today. Hours of poking and prodding and testing coming up. Hope I am going to get the news that I will be living another year. :0)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8836748

Definitely wishing you good news from that physical, Neener. Have a great vacation!

No frost here yet and it was 80 yesterday (same predicted today and on through the week). Cooler at night though.

My Dinnerplate Dahlias are still blooming. The colors of 'Akita' have changed and deepened with the colder weather and that one is spectacular.

Michelle, the last place we lived in CA was Redding (17 years). Before that we were in So. Cal for a long time. ^_^
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8836759

Some of my dahlias are just starting to bloom too? It has been a weird year. I am happy for the warm weather coming. Would like to get some more stuff done outside. Off to do weed another garden for a client this afternoon. =) Have a good day everyone.

Erin

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8836962

I need to transfer my dahlias From the old house to the pond. Does anyone know if you can grow them in pots?? I do not want to leave them here when I move.

Yup just need stamps and I am ready. Should I send out cards to folks for the rest of this year too??

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8837096

You don't have to send cards for this year Elfie. New deal doesn't start until January. :0)

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8837101

Ohh, I donot mind at all. There is only a few to send to and I am sure they would love an extra card!!

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8837102

Well I'm back and I guess you all are stuck with me for another year. All is good except the cholesterol and that has been an issue since I was 20 something. No big deal. So now I am ready to rock and roll. :0)
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8837105

Elfie, I grow my mini's in pots. I am sure that you can grow other varieties in pots too. They would just need more tending to (water).

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8837121

I grew 'Akita' in a pot for a short time, but she's a big one. Would need at least a 3-5 gallon pot, I think, for the large ones. Probably much better in the ground.

Glad all is well, Neener. That's always a relief. :)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8837247

Wow, this new thread really took off. Saying hello to all you dear ladies and haven't forgot the Birthdays for this month, gifts willo go out next week. LOL My Daughters big day is the 12th and her gift will probably be late too. What a bad thing I've done...being late for something I knew was coming. No excuse except laziness. LOl Love & hugs anyway
Faye

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8837451

I got a box today from Paula, I hope you got your birdhouse o.k. Thank you dear for everything. Beautiful card,Plant stakes and a Lowe's card. Whooooo! Hooooo!!! I bet I'll get a plant. I'll let you know.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8837460

Geez, I need to get back on DG more often! Look at all our friends joining us :) LOVE IT!!!

I'm really behind on gifts..Paula, I have yours, just need to get it boxed up lol.. Then Char.. then Neener.. then... good grief!! And this month starts my family birthdays too! I have 5 in Oct alone and then one or more each month until April LOL...

I'm drowning..glug, glug..

But never fear.. I'll get it done!! ^_^
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8837469

No worries here Chris. I am just glad that a lot of our folks are coming back. I should have done this sooner. Glad you are stopping by and keep hanging in there.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 5, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8837538

Charleen,
glad you got it, but I haven't gotten the birdhouse. When did you send it? Which address? Maybe tomorrow...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8837617

1066 Waycross
Was that right one?? Lordy, I hope so. Sent it Oct.1, got a Number if you need it. I'll check and get back.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8837692

Thanks for the box, Neener Beaner. This one's for you. :)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8837693

and this one too...

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8837694

Oh, one more. :)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8837790

Hi, all.
Looks like my dahlias are done for this year except for a tiny bit of growth. Not sure if they died back because of the lack of water (too long without it?) or because it was just time. Suspect it was the water. Beautiful flowers, though. Look forward to their return next year. And maybe I'll keep up with the watering better :)
Mud_Elf, my dahlias are growing in a large container, but then, I specifically picked out smaller varieties so they would do well in one. There are so many different sizes and shapes and colors! How well they will do in a container on a long term basis depends on how big they want to get. But maybe the larger ones could deal with being in a container for just a little bit? If the choice is to either put them in containers so you can take them with you or leave them behind, it would certainly be worth trying. Or, if you have some large varieties that wouldn't like being in a container, perhaps you could gather some of the tubers to take with you so you could plant them once you got there.
Carole, we often get up to the Redding area during the summer on our way to Lake Siskiyou. Didn't get up there this summer, though. We dog-sat my retired guide dog instead. The family she lives with now went to Hawaii, so we had fun taking care of her while they were on vacation. And my current guide had lots of fun playing with her when she wasn't napping :)
Clancampbell, good to see you! Yes, do stop by more often :)
Neener, glad to hear you had good news :) I do hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation! When will you get back? Turns out that I finished the surprise after all, but I might add something to go with it :)
better go for now. Everyone stay safe, and have a great day!
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8837986

Thanks Amanda. You are such a good Monarch Mommy. :0)

Michelle we will be back the 15th. Mom will be here collecting mail for us so I am looking forward to a big birthday box party when I get back.

I'll be taking the laptop, so I can still check in and be sure that you are behaving whilst I am "away".
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8838125

I always stake my tuberose stalks as the flowers seem too heavy for the stalk, no matter how big they are. The ones in the pots really went to town this year! I really love them. FOTV, I don't lift my tubers. The people I bought them from said it isn't necessary in our zone and you are the same as me. Just an FYI.

I use to raise and show Gelbvieh cattle. They are known for their smaller calves but hit the ground growing. I had one large momma that always had larger calves, but the majority of them were around 60-70#. They can fool you their weight by looking at them. I really miss my cattle.

I ws'd some dahlia's last winter and they aren't but about 4" tall, the ones that survived! I lost a bunch of them. They are all in pots.

I still owe several birthday boxes too. Low and behold, they will get sent out eventually. Maybe for their 1/2 year birthday! lol

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8838164

Durn, I still owe you some Crown of Thorns Crit, so don't feel alone. I will get them to you. Just slow sometimes...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8838685

Wow Manda, did you get to watch your Monarch hatch?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8838834

Well I will dig them all up next time I go to the house and put them in the largest posts I have and see what happens next year.

I mailed out cards to this months Birthday girls today. Hope they like them.

Neener your Birthday is the same as my youngest granddaughter,, Jaiden. She will be 3 this week!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8838860

How sweet! She looks like a little Fairy :)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8839056

Hey Froot - not yet. 3/10 have emerged.

Last year I had many more, and I did get some good pictures as this one eclosed:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=435706941433&set=a.413198046433.199237.716796433&type=3&theater

Neener - even though you will have your computer with you while you are away, I miss you already. :D

Have a good night, all!

A.
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8839264

monarchs are so amazing to watch.We had 4 this year. The kids love seeing them fly in the sky.

Erin

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8839295

Thanks Fruity,, I am blessed to have such great grandkids ;o)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8839341

Erin yes - they are a joy to behold. :)

I have 3 more that will eclose today. Makes me a little sad to watch them go and wonder if they will make it to MX. My little babies. Sniff.

Have a lovely day. I am thinking of Neener especially who gets to go on vacation for her birthday.

A.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8839443

Yeah folks leaving this afternoon. All I want for my birthday is my cat to come back home. Been AWOL since late Wed. :(
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8839499

Char ... I need some guidance. I made some "Powderkeg Tea" a couple of days ago. I need to know how long to let it set and how strong to make it. I don't want to kill off my plants and brugs by giving them too much or too strong of a 'good thing'. ^_^ I'm watering now but am going to hold off on the plants I want to use the tea on.

Thanks!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8839753

You can add some to a qt. jar and finish filling with plain water. I have a 5 gal. bucket with a 1 gal black pot full of poo. Let it set couple days and you have tea. Dip your container in there and get about a third full and finish with water...Tada!! Charley Tea

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8839803

LOL ... I love it! ^_^

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8839889

I hope your kitty comes home. Can't stand any of my critters "missing"

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8839951

Me either. :-(
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8840049

((((((Neener)))))) Keep the faith, Sweetie!

Would that kind of tea work with cow patties? My neighbor has an abundance of them she's been trying to get me to scoop up and mix in with potting soil but don't want to fight weeds. Been there, done that when we had a big veggie garden. It wasn't a pretty sight and a lot of constant work weeding.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8840294

Hi, all.
Oh, Neener, I do hope your cat comes home soon! Sending a big hug your way!
Oh, how fun! Kris, I'll be watching the mail :)
Fruity, if you did mix the cow patties with soil, I would think you'd want to age them first. But, yeah, I can certainly understand not wanting to do this if you get weeds with them.
Amanda, that sounds really neat getting to watch the butterflies emerge. Some years ago, while I was helping to lead a club for girls, we took the girls on an outing to Natural Bridges near Santa Cruz to see all the butterflies. They get thousands of the caterpillars overwintering and then emerging as butterflies. Pretty amazing! But it would be extra special to get to watch your own little group of them :)
Well, must go for now. Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8840564

FOTV ... I have gone to the horse pasture and scooped up some decomposed dry HorseyHoo and mixed with my potting soil and top soil. Makes a nice mix. I do have something coming up, looks like maybe a grain, but it is just here and there and maybe something that didn't digest. Cow manure is GREAT fert. You need to be sure to get the dry patties, or use just a little bit of fresh ones. Cow'nure is really hot and will burn plants if you use too much. The decomposed stuff, like out of a barn or lot doesn't have that worry. DO IT. It is great fert and even better if it is FREE

Hope this helps.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8840653

I always use my Poo in the botton of the pot them fill it with soil mix. Yes, you can use cowpatties too. If you don't want sendiments in water put the poo in a cloth bag and close it. Then put water on it to top of container and let it sit a day or two then use the tea.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8840963

Joy, I got my package and Charley is so disappointed not to get anything. I gave him a scoop of sweet feed to cheer him up. ☺
Love everything, The little lizard , windchime and the jam and peppers I know will be wonderful...
I will try to get pic.
Thank you for it all.

Corrected the name...

This message was edited Oct 9, 2011 1:56 PM

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8841207

Hey Char, think you meant me. Yes, I know Charley didn't get a treat, mine snarf all the good stuff right out of the car! Lookie at one of my two new boys!!!!! Abandoned on a road, they are gentle and fairly well behaved.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8841226

I sure did Joy. sorry about that. You gotta get the Donkey bug now. What a sweet face. I'm so glad you found you some buddies. they will follow you like puppys. You are going to love them.
I hear that Texas got a lot of animals turned loose cause folks can't afford to feed them with the drought.
You are going to love them. Charley says it is o.k. to adopt a longear, he has 3 of his own.
Bless you girl. Tasted of the Wine Figs, too sweet, gave them to Hubby, he can eat it with breakfast in morning. Haven't tried the Jalepenoes yet. I do like them. Just got to take little bit to see if they will bite back.
So happy your new friends have found you.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8841231

Here is AT, he looks a little like him.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8841254

Abandoned on the road???? How sad. People turning animals loose because they can't afford the feed. Sad, sad, sad.

I think Powderkeg has fallen in love with me. When I work on the flower bed next to the fence, he stands there and blocks the sun off of me. When I go into the pasture, he follows me around and chases poor little Jake off. lol Such a silly donkey!!!! Powderkeg is the big one and Jake is the mini.

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8841257

Powderkeg...

Thumbnail by Crit

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8841386

Ya'll talked me into it and will scoop up some "cured" cow patties at my neighbor's barn. She said there was plenty. Hubby and I went down there last Spring and mixed manure in big barrels to grow tomato plants. There were a few weeds but I religiously ripped them out. Thank you for the tip to put manure in the bottom of the container, Char. Can you believe we're talking about BS...lol

Never raised donkeys but they sound like sweet gentle creatures, like puppy dogs following you around.

I miss you, Neener, and wish you a Happy Birthday tomorrow, and hope you're having a good time on vacation despite your heart being heavy about Pye missing. Any word about him yet?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8841724

They really are wonderful, in your pocket critters. Folks forget they aren't dogs but you always watch those ears to knowe what they are thinking. You alls ears are up and they are interested in you but watch out when those beautiful long ears lay down. I love my babies.
Fruity how much better can we get than talking Donkeys and poo?????All in one happy thread.
Here's looking at ya!!!!!

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011

Post #8841740

No word about Pye. The longer it goes the sadder I get. Not a great birthday. Not a great year.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8842119

Gosh, I hate to hear that. Makes me sad too. I love cats. :-(...

I'm hoping just maybe he'll still return to you.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8842156

Bless your heart. Show me a picture. I'll make you a clay one if I can. I am so sorry about Pye. I love them too, but Charley doesn't. But will say prayers for his safe return. He it a tomcat???
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8842168

Char and Carole thanks.. He is a male cat, but he has been neutered. I keep hoping.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8842363

Happy Birthday, sweetie! Kitty Shadow and the whole pack are sending good vibes and I'm sending you this pretty Dahlia bloom. Love you, Neener :)

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8842379

Thanks Frootz!! We'll take all the good vibes we can get. Heading out for dinner now.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8842559

Happy Birthday neener!!! Will keep Pye in my prayers that he returns.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8842791

Happy Birthday Neener.

Patches disappeared for 6 days once and then showed up starving and acting like we lost him!! Silly cat
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8843025

Neener - Happy belated birthday. Pye may just show up yet. I had a cat gone for 10 days and she came back. I was a kid and I was the only one that thought she would come back and she did!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8843104

Thanks all! There is always hope. As long there aren't buzzards circling the woods, he is probably somewhere having an adventure.

Let me know if I need to start a new thread.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8843164

Or coyotes, Praying for safe return.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8843653

Hi dear sweet Nita, so sorry about your Pye and do hope he returns soon. Nita, didn't forget your Birthday but didn't have puter access. Hope your Birthday was the bestest. Looking forward to seeing you soon, whatch think about celebrating your big day then?
Love & Hugs
Faye
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 10, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8843771

Happy late birthday neener! Been out of town, sorry to hear about Pye! I am really worried about mine when we move. Anybody have any suggestions on making the move easier so they won't run away. Two of them I can keep in the laundry room for a few days, but the other two I couldn't. I was thinking I could keep them in a kennel for a couple of days and that may help. I thought if I fed them there for a few days they wouldn't leave.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8843818

This one's for you GA. When tropical storm Lee came through, we had horrible winds that blew almost all of the leaves off. Look how well it's recovered. Need to find a smallish trellis.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 10, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8843865

Aww Fruity...she's doing well. Has it bloomed for you? What color was the bloom? I have one that has a white bloom.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8843904

Thanks Paula!! Just got back from dinner and I am 2 cosmos to the wind right now. :0) I love alcohol induced bliss...

See you ladies tomorrow.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8844001

You go girl, and have a great time!

She had a couple of blooms back in April when you sent it, GA. Best I can remember they were pink or a salmony pink and hasn't bloomed since. I really need to learn how to care for Bourgies, especially since she'll be coming in the house soon. Any tips?

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 10, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8844024

Not really, I know they like lots of sun. I haven't had that good of luck with them either. But I have been a bad plant mommy this summer.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8844105

How's the new house coming? Are you about ready to move in?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 10, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8844122

Getting closer...I just posted some new pictures of the floors and pool. Finally got one coat of poly on the floors..

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8844125

charleen , i will mail in morning, and darn i had bought babby carrots to put in few then forgot. so give charlie hugs hugs form me.. sorry i do not have any flowers lost everything in my yard so can't send any one anything!!

blessings Everyone...
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 10, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8844143

Hey Twyla!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8844167

Honey, don't worry about it. I'm glad you are alright and writting.
Charley sends you lots of love nuzzles dear friend.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2011
1:06 AM

Post #8844565

Hi, all.
Well' tried posting earlier, but my computer ran out of battery power in the middle of writing... Sigh... Hate it when that happens... Anyway, let's see, what all did I write before?...
Ah, Neener! Been thinking of you
this weekend, but missed posting on Sunday. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! Will continue to keep Pye in my prayers. And I just found the perfect thing to go with my little surprise for you. Hoping to get your box in the mail Tuesday. Will let you know when it's on its way :)
Rouxcrew, that's really neat that you can give those donkeys a good home. Give them a pat for me :)
Got to do some gardening Sunday afternoon. Finally cleaned up the dead foliage from the dahlias. Discovered that I still have a couple more dahlia flowers to look forward to! There are still a few stems still alive :) Figure the rest went dormant. Trying to decide what to plant in the container that could grow there now through early spring. I need something that would be done before the dahlias take over the container again. Or maybe I need to dig them up to thin them? Also don't want them to get too crowded. Any suggestions?
Well, should go for now. You all have a great Tuesday!
Michelle
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8844661

Happy belated birthday Neener. Husband is ripping and rebuilding the bathroom and wasn't staying here so I couldn't get on the computer. Hopefully we'll have a floor and some walls today and maybe a toilet. lol.

Erin

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8844773

Morning everyone!!

I have been hard at work on a special project. I will post pictures when it is done. Right now my hands hurt from working on the big secret..lol

Neener here is a picture of our King of the RV and fierce guardian of fairy land here on the pond,, Patches! This was the Kitty I tried to get you to take 2 years ago and I am now glad you did not, he is my baby!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2011

Post #8845329

Thanks Erin!!!

Oh Elfie he is a sweetie. He looks so soft. I wanna snuggle...right now.

Storm has finally blown by here now and I think we may be in he clear for the rest of the week. Hope to actually go to the beach tomorrow without a 50 MPH wind.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8845332

Wiggle your toes in the sand for me!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8845344

:) Will do frootz!! Just made a reservation for dinner tomorrow night at Robert Irvine's rest. down here. Tapas menu and it sounds so good. Not going to eat all day tomorrow so I can really enjoy it!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8845350

Sounds lovely! Enjoy! ^_^
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8845628

Hi, all.
Neener, that sounds like fun! Have a great time at the beach :)
Made it to the post office today. Neener, your package is on its way! They said it should take 3-5 days. And the card is signed by me and my guide dog :)
Erin, I hope all gets put together again soon so you can be back in your home! And I hope the bathroom turns out the way you want it :)
Mud_Elf, that project sounds intriguing... Looking forward to hearing about it :) When you post the pictures, do be sure to include a description if you can. I can't see the pics, so a description is grately appreciated! And do take care of your hands :) Oh, and say hi to your kitty for me!
Michelle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8845921

Oh, I love King Kitty - he's a beauty.

I would love to try Robert Irvines' restauarant - let us know how it goes. DH and I ate at Wolfgang Pucks' restaurant in Niagara Falls. It was wonderful...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8845981

Oh most happy day!!!!

Pye is home. Just talked to my Mom and he showed up this morning fat and sassy, hungry, but otherwise unharmed. He is sleeping on our bed right now. Thank you all for the good vibes and prayers. Today is finally going to be a good day of vacation! Woo Hoo!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2011

Post #8845995

Thank you, Lord. I am so happy. ☺

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011

Post #8846150

He decided to go on a walk about,,,lol... Seriously though I am glad he is home.

Yup Patches is king. Expects you to drop everything you are doing so he can take a nap on you and if you move he throws a hissy fit. He also hates each and every other cat in the world!! He is just so spoiled...

Here is my secret project. It is my very first WITCH!! She is only 2 inches tall and she sure is ugly!

What do you all think?

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8846166

Well, that news made my day!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ Now you can really enjoy your vacation.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8846209

Neener ! That is so wonderful. I am so happy for you!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8846232

Sunshine and smiles to you Neener.

Kris - I love the witch! Especially her gaping eye sockets. :D

Nice skeleton too.

Have a great day everybody. I have to go to Raleigh for a conference - North American Association of Environmental Educators. If I have to spend the day away, at least I will be in the company of other freaks.

A.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8846264

lol,, I still have to paint the eyes.. Should have done that before the picture, huh?
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8846464

Hey Amanda!!

While we were walking along the dunes at the beach we saw tons of monarchs winging their way south. They seem to be flying everywhere around here. Made me think of you. Maybe one of them was one you raised. :0)

Sun was out for all of an hour and then the wind came up and it started to spritzle. Don't care. It's still a good day cause my little Pye is safe at home.

Did buy a few plants this morning at a local nursery. Got a lovely desert rose off the 50% off table. Also got a fan palm and a big pot of mexican petunias. I think I did say that I don't have anymore room inside for plants didn't I? Couldn't resist the bargains.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8846830

What a relief your big guy is home and you can finally relax and enjoy the rest of your trip! Max curled up on the couch with me this afternoon and I thought about your boy being out there in the pouring down rain.

That is one well-done ugly witch, Elfie. You have more patience and talent than I could ever hope to have. What is the skeleton stepping on? It looks like a cow patty...lol

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2011
12:36 AM

Post #8847080

Hi, all.
Oh, that's sooo cool that Pye is home! Neener, that really is great news!
Kris, aren't little 2-inch tall things supposed to be cute? LOL :) Of course, this one being a witch, well... perhaps she's more scary... just in time for Halloween! Hmmm, if the skeleton is stepping on a cow patty, seems quite appropriate if its gardening, don't you think?
This evening, I went out onto my deck to see if more Amaryllis Belladonna seeds had ripened. Something sure smelled wonderful out there! ... And then it occured to me that I should check the tuberoses ... and I discovered the source of the wonderful scent! One of the stalks of flowers are just starting to open, but they're already quite fragrant ... Just heavenly!
Michelle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8847136

Michelle

I love the way the tuberoses smell. Heaven must smell like that, don't you think?

Sooz - love your kittie. I too have a tuxedo kitty. Poor baby ran out of the graveyard and under my mother's car when she was just a little bit. She was so horribly malnourished that all of her whiskers fell out. Now, 12 years later, she is the fatest cat I have seen in a great many years, weighing probably close to twice what she should weigh. I love it when the vets tell me to put her on a diet - good luck with that!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8847245

Wow Fruity,, your kitty could be a relative of my kitty.

I did not make the skeleton, he is there for scale. I was asked to make a witch for a Halloween miniature garden and it needed to be the same size as the skeleton. So we have been shipping that guy all over the county. He is standing on a bit of clay to make him stand up...

I made a bunch of pumpkins and will be working on some skulls next. I am having fun working on this stuff.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8847248

Yep all is well for the moment. My Mom said Pye is eating like a king and that he was under the covers all night with her just purring up a storm. I can't wait to get home and give him a hug and then a good talking to for putting us through this.

I think the sun may actually shine all day today. been out for a walk with a cuppa and now we are discussing breakfast options. I am gonna need a serious work out program when I get back. :0)

Can't get my camera to upload to this old laptop, but this morning on the walk I found a piece of a rotten tree laying in the road and it has this darling little fern growing all over it. I picked it up and will try to keep it alive until I get home. I think it would work really well in a terrarium. DH is just shaking his head. I told him you all would understand. :0)

Have a loverly day all. Off to have either shrimp and grits or a crab cake benedict.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2011

Post #8847353

GA those wood floors are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just love them.

Neener, glad your little guy has returned home!!!!

DH just called and wants me to bring Subway to him and have lunch together.

Have a good day all!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8849029

Got a nice present from Twyla, Beautiful beads , a little scarecrow flad and scuffy mitt.
Love them.
I forgot to take a picture of the beautiful Butterfly windchime Joy sent me. Went for a walk this evening The chihuahuhas loved it. I was dragging, need to do it more. Tomarrow or after while I'll show my goodies.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2011

Post #8849040

Last day of vacation. Will be heading home early tomorrow. Mom said there are boxes to open, so I'll get some pics and get them posted probably on Sunday. Thanks in advance for the goodies everyone!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8849051

A caterpillar keyring too!!!
Thank you Girl...

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8849116

Have a safe trip home, Neener.

Pic is for you, Manda. Despite my purple aster being dead in the middle, at least the outsides are blooming.

Christmastime is coming!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1225433/

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8850075

Glad you have a visitor and thanks for the lovely picture, Froot. Maybe a good haircut will get that aster into shape next year. :)

I have decided that I do not have a NE aster but symphotrichium oblongifolius. surely spelled that wrong, but o well. Picked this one up at the MG plant sale the spring we moved into this house. Donated my NE aster from the condo to the library reading garden where I volunteered. No problem. Love the one I've got too.

Have a lovely evening everyone - it surely is a beautiful day. :)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8850081

Absolutely gorgeous here today. 70 and autumn breezy. Just about perfect! We've not had frost yet. ^_^
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8850155

Picture perfect day here too with the clearest deep blue sky. Leaf peeping should be at its peak in about a week. Frost is that stuff followed by a four-letter word that starts with an "s". I hope it's a while before we see either one, especially the latter.

There were two of those gems, Manda. I kept scaring them off trying to get close. These weren't so skittish.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8850303

Hi, all.
Got to lurking a couple days...
Carolyn, the tuberoses do have a heavenly scent! Absolutely love them :) Wish I had more room to add some more, but my planter space is limited, and there are so many wonderful flowers to grow! I have the double tuberoses growing, 3 of them, but only 2 put up flower stalks this year. Don't know why the third didn't. This is my first year growing them, and we didn't have our usual heat. Or, shall I say, it tended to come and go this year.
Just so you all know, I'll be around, but I'm finally learning to use my Mac. So, if I don't post regularly for a little, that's why. Hoping I'll be able to use it to get to the links I need so I can post pics, too :) (Oh, and it's hockey season again... following the San Jose Sharks.)
Have fun opening all those boxes, Neener! :) (And, perhaps it's getting time for a new thread soon. Thanks!)
And I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend :)
Michelle

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 6:03 PM

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2011
1:17 AM

Post #8850606

Good luck learning the Mac, Michelle. I started on Macs but when I finally bought a computer bought a PC because everyone in my "field" used PCs. Shoulda known then that lawyering would be boring. Ha ha - here's some news - thinking about putting my licenses back in active status. It would be an easy way to pick up some dough now and then to take on easy work here and there. It'll cost me more to get them both back up and active than any money I could make soon enough to save me from the poorhouse. Does that make sense?

Froot - pretty pictures. :)

A lady friend on FB said she has the same camera as me and it "doesn't take pictures like that." (i.e. the close up macro shots). The reply from me is, "when's the last time you tried to take a close up shot of a bug?" Yeah, right. NEVER.

just up late and catching up on my DG reading. It was a gorgeous gorgeous day and that October blue sky is my favorite.

Have a great Sunday.

A.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8850640

Wow, you have a really late frost ... either that or an early s---, Susan. We usually have first frost by around Oct. 6 and hard frost by the end of the month. I do hope it's milder this winter that it was the last two. So far, so good.

I've wondered why you didn't do that before, Amanda ... just sayin'. But I do know several unemployed attorneys. Hope there's plenty of work there.

A friend keeps trying to convince me to get a Mac. Maybe when I need a new 'puter.

Ya'll have a great Sunday. ^_^

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8850790

Carole:

I'm not unemployed. I'm retired! :P

Also, have been FT in my graduate program.

Why did I drop the license(s)? One state has pretty steep active membership fees. This state has pretty extensive CLE requirements. Either way a lot of $. And I have to keep them both in good standing not just one. You can't give it away or say "I don't want it anymore." :D

I needed the break from it. It's been long enough. It was very stressful, and unlike our garden pals, people/clients could be ungrateful and mean, other lawyers downright hateful. Why would you willingly insert yourself into that if you could earn your keep in other ways?

"Avoid loud and aggressive persons - they are vexatious to the spirit..."

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8850805

I wasn't referring to you being unemployed, dear. I knew you had decided to get out of it and I can understand that. Many people, more so than in the past, do that with their chosen professions rather than "lead lives of quiet desperation". ^_^
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2011

Post #8850858

[quote="AmandaEsq"]

Why did I drop the license(s)? One state has pretty steep active membership fees. This state has pretty extensive CLE requirements. Either way a lot of $. And I have to keep them both in good standing not just one. You can't give it away or say "I don't want it anymore." :D

I needed the break from it. It's been long enough. It was very stressful, and unlike our garden pals, people/clients could be ungrateful and mean, other lawyers downright hateful. Why would you willingly insert yourself into that if you could earn your keep in other ways?

"Avoid loud and aggressive persons - they are vexatious to the spirit..."

.[/quote]

I totally get it. Seems things cost more all the time and the states have their hands out now more than ever. Couple that with the "loud aggressive persons that are vexatious to the spirit", I would want to close my gates and spend as much time in my garden as possible. There is something so theraputic to that. I want to do that now and I don' t have the responsibilities of lawyering. I really have to hand it to you Amanda - I think, especially when I was younger, that I am/was too hot tempered for that type of vocation.

I do think that gardeners are a special lot of people and although we all seem to have gardening as a common thread, we share our lives with each other and more often than not, everyone is courteous and respectful of each other. Perhaps you could get some of your new clients involved in gardening - it is good for the soul.

Let us know what you end up doing - I do see STRESS written all over it. You do always have us to vent to if needed - but I think you already know that. ^_^

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8850859

Okay so I'm unemployed.

No, actually, I have a job but due to hand injury this spring I am on workers' compensation and unable to be accommodated with my particular injury. :P

You know I'm joking. I have been underemployed for sometime now. But I think it's a good thing I actually think I might be able to tolerate mean people again. Well maybe in spurts. Or via Skype. :D

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8850930

You go, girl!! ^_^ ^_^
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8850936

New Thread All!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1225604/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America