Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in your neck of the woods? Come chat....

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 188, Views: 904
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8833921

Thought this rainy day we could start a new thread and perhaps add a bit of sunshine pictures to get us out of the daldrums...

Come chat...newcomers ALWAYS welcome!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217244/

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 3, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8833951

Thanks for the move over Betty ^_^

It's bright and sunny here in Thunder Bay, a bit chilly, but, supposed to creep up to near 17 - 18C .. we'll take it !!!

Not sure what the day has in store for the company, am thinking perhaps a trip to one of the local wildlife areas to see the deer meandering about.
I do know Chinese food is on tap for supper, so, no cooking for me .. HURRAY !!!!

Have a bit of a sore throat/husky voice, am hoping it is a passing thing .. sure don't need a cold .

Susan .. so happy no one was hurt in your 'duster' .. still it's upsetting ...

Take care all, and, enjoy your day !!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8834020

We're only a couple a degrees away from snow with our low of the day..have a micro heater next to me going to take away the chill..dark/gloomy/rainy day..glad it's better for you and you can get some outings done.
Don't you have deer in the back yard you can watch..lol

Brought some crafts in today to keep me away and am watching ipad movies, now does that sound like a hard day at the office? lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8834055

Carol posted of previous thread the following:

Susan she is from St Martins United Church.
-lst name is Natasha and a double last name that I can't remember.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8834288

"M" forgot to wish you a "Happy Birthday" no wonder you aren't cooking tonight...time to celebrate!

Hope your day is filled with sunshine and a nice pressie or two wouldn't hurt...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 3, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8834397

Thanks Betty .. nice to be going out for a meal tonight .. because, the rest of the week I am going to be a cooking fiend LoL
Have gotten some lovely gifts .. the furries even gifted me with several pairs of winter gloves in a rainbow of colours, Piper was able to nab a pair and scoot off .. he LOVES gloves !!! Have yet to crawl under the bed to retrieve them.

SPLENDIFEROUS day here .. sunny and temps near 18C .. can't ask for much more than that ^_^

Off n running

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8834439

Just got back from Michaels..light rain and cold so enjoy your birthday weather and the not cooking part of it!!!
Glad you got goodies for you and the furries..nothing like sharing.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 3, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8834665

Thanks, Carol - I know the pastor that did the "kirking of the tartan" is not the same lady then.

♫♪ Happy Birthday, Marilyn!!! ♪♫

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 4, 2011
10:28 PM

Post #8836594

Wednesday already! Time is going by quickly that's for sure ... the company is enjoying being pampered, and, at times I feel a bit OVER extended, but, that's life !!

My 96 yr old maternal Aunt is in hosp. She fell on Friday .. physically she is OK, but, mentally .. well .. her brightness and quick wit has faded .. she is confused and fearful. Feel bad for her son, an only child, bachelor .. retired high school math teacher .. he has always been very close to his Mom and, seeing her confused has shaken him. Guess we'll have to wait and see if this confusion passes or, not.

The pups are off to the groomers bright and early, i then have a 'nursey breakfast', then physio, go and visit my Aunt, come home and do lunch with with the company, then cook another supper .. I think tomorrow is going to be dinner OUT!!!
I do like company, but, sometimes I'd just like to be 'blank' for a half hour LoL

Thanks for the BDay wishes ...

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 5, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8836942

"M" sorry to hear about your Aunt, let's hope after a few days her memory will improve. I think perhaps on the next visit you should come down here..for 2 reasons, 1 so you can relax and sightsee and be pampered and the other, you pass right by my door..lol could be a stop over..

Pooches must like being pampered...both Sailor and Missy got skunked..stopping off at the vets so I can purchase skunk off in hopes it helps.

We're going to have a glorious sunshine Thanksgiving weekend here...how about in your neck of the woods?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 5, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8836957

Supposed to be 3/14 c on Monday. Cool fall weather here.
I'm home today - relaxing from helping Jackie at her office. Think I'll get busy making her some business cards, etc.
I'm also cleaning in prep for our Thanksgiving Dinner on Monday - have about 7 coming over (with us makes 9). Lots of food, but only a small area to eat, but there's always the living room for afterwards lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 5, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8836974

Maybe it will be a sunshine day and can sit outside..make Thanksgiving even more memorable

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 5, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8836976

We have a large enuff deck for that, but I think several would be too cold when they're in their late 70's and mid 80's years old...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 5, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8837844

Can't believe the speed with which this week is passing !!! As always, my adversary is 'TIME' !! Seems the days would be better suited to having 36 hours in them.
By the time supper is done, and the dishes are cleared away .. I am NOT interested in much more than my hour of Coronation St and then BED!
But .. there are things to be done .. have pies to make for the dinner Saturday .. rendered the pie pumpkin so that's done, and making the pie is easy .. as for the apple pie, well .. the 2 automatic peelers I bought are sure going to be used well !! Will be having 9 for dinner on Saturday.

Today is 'leaf peeping' day .. this area is resplendent, the shades of gold are beautiful. we don't have many Maples, but those we do have just glow amidst the golds ..

Supposed high of 21C today .. and .. THIRTY (30)C with the humidex tomorrow !!! Hope that's a misprint LoL.

Going to try and get some more sleep .. gosh I find this being UP every night to be frustrating !!!

TTFN Don't forget to vote ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 6, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8837942

Heading to the poles after work "M" and yes won't let the day slide by without doing so..lesser of two evils this time..if I may express myself, the economy doesn't warrant taking a chance although I thought I might, it's not the time to try a newbie..my opinion only!!

The colors were not as spectacular as other years and color is all but done, except on my lawn where it all lays, now is the time for raking, not so enjoyable!

I'm having my Thanksgiving on Sunday, will pick up cooking pumpkins so I can make pies early Saturday..small crowd this year, perhaps 8.. Others drove here when I had mom's eighty'th a few weeks ago..

Mega outside work ..everything has to be put away, always a big chore and a sad time of year..

I'm with you, hate this up most of the night, mind won't shut down! Tempted to take something for sleeping but don't want to get into that habit..

Best get a move on

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8838616

Hi - tired from long day - just finished last part, which was to start cataloguing books in the church library...
back tonight or tomorrow afternoon, to chat...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 6, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8839141

PLUNK!! Here I be once again ... would be making pies as the house sleeps, but don't want to make noise ..

These busy days are making me weary .. kind of happy there are only 2 days left. Today Lorna's parents will treat us to Swiss Chalet which they will pick up and bring to an eldely Aunties home and share with her. This Aunt is a good friend of my Aunt who is hospitalized, we all went and visited her yesterday and she was as bright as a new penny!! However, I met her son on the way out and he told me that Thursday morning she was very confused ... am wondering if perhaps she is given sedation at bedtime .. guess we'll just have to wait and see.

All in all the visit is going well, but, Sunday can't come quickly enough .. even though we are up at 4am to get to the airport.. piece of cake for me !!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2011
2:59 AM

Post #8839196

"M" think you are working much too hard trying to make everything perfect for your guests and are so overworked doing so that there is no rest, you are unable to sleep! Today, try and take more time for yourself, maybe walking the furries on a long walk!

Mouth watering as I smell the pies cooking. Did my groceries all except for the turkey..as I'm working from home today and my shift is from 8:30-3:00 I'll head out at 7am to pick one up..that way I won't be fighting the masses later in the day.

Think I'll go see who is the provincial leader, minority/majority? And who got in here in my neck of the woods

Enjoy a morning coffee

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8839492

Someone said once that they didn't think we had an election this year in Alberta - we do, on Oct 18th- for the Premier's position.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8839509

With minority gmt unless they can talk someone to cross over the floor to their camp likely there will be another in the next 2 years..wouldn't be a happy camper if that was to happen..so many $$$ spent unwisely if they were to have one!

What a sunshine day, even though I work from home I stay close to the telephones, of course having craft romonly a few feet away helps. Once 3pm rolls along likely I'll put a few hours working outside.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8839523

Oh I missed this new thread!
Belated happy birthday Marilyn!
Well it was not exactly a 'public' election Susan only members of the PC party. Interesting result.lst female premier in Alberta.
Weather was lovely here until yesterday then it rained all day neither the dogs or I went out and today it is still miserably cold, we did go for a walk but it was not pleasant. Better promised for the weekend.
Wed a garden friend came over to help with starting fall garden cleanup and we worked in the back for 4 hours- got lots done.Still lots to do but I don't like to take down anything that is still looking good, there are still a lot of things blooming in the front garden. Still have not had a hard frost.
Hope it is decent weather in Ontario- I fly down next Wed for 10 days.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8839551

Ooh you should be here this weekend, hard pressed to remember a Thanksgiving weekend with such hot weather! That's the problem, you so want summer to last that you don't want to cut anything down, just do what must however it's only a matter of a few weeks and snow is on the ground and then you are kicking yourself..

Been walking kind of funny past week and foot between the arches hurting, finally sat down and looked, big bulge, can't miss it, not sure what is up with that..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8839560

Carol - then why did I get a "elections Alberta - Chief Electoral Office" voting registration card in the mail for "Calgary Klein" division? I registered online for it.
Calgary isn't great about advertising any kind of elections...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8839607

Susan probably because there is an election expected next year and they are updating the voters lists.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8839618

Glad ours is done with..think they said they had the poorest turn out for any election..people are getting so lax about voting, should be mandatory don't you think?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8839638

I guess... still, Calgary & Alberta are slow to really let us know when there's an election... lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8839881

Betty .. wondering if the 'bulge' is a 'ganglion', http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ganglion-cysts/DS00767

Suffice to say, I am very disappointed with the election results .. North Western Ont is hurting re the Forest industry, and the 2 Liberal MPPs are laughable .. but back in by the skins of their teeth.

Pumpkin pie done, and apple .. dressing made .. have to put dinner in the oven by 9am so we can eat by 2pm.
Also want to go and visit my Aunt .. still in hospital .. not quite as confused, but, not out of the woods yet.

Weather .. well .. I can only describe perfection in a couple of ways . just absolutely awesome temps here, and sun galore .. hope it stays for you Carol ..

Off I go

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8839885

Apparently "m" storm brewing Florida way, say we'll get tail end mid week but they've been wrong before.

Conservative got in in my neck of the woods, know him personally and I'm none too happy.,2 nd time elected. Guess it's more who represents our areas, who fights for out local needs is important..

Well, you've everything under control..tomorrow should be a semi relaxing day.. Tomorrow I start with the pies..pumpkin,lemon meringue, blue berry and apple..we are about six so let's hope everyone takes their favorite pie home,,always a family feud, jokingly of course, who I like better and make them their pie, problem is to get mom going they keep changing what their favorite pie is so I make one of each..oops forgot banana cream

Will go check out the link...you are all so knowledgeable re. Health issues, drats takes all my time to know what side my heart is. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 8, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8840516

Ramping up here to start into the preps .. but just HAD to pop in to announce that the temp at midnight last night was 18C on the patio, AND, it has NOT gone down !!! Add to that a southerly breeze (brisk at that) and it is one 'strange' day.

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend !!

Take care

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 8, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8840911

Hi busy ladies!!
Just popping in for a second - My plans for our anniversary are to have Thanksgiving Dinner here - our anniversary is the same day lol
I got a lovely surprise last night! Our friend/music teacher, Nami, is home from Japan (where she's from - moved to Calgary from there 4 years ago)!!!! so naturally I invited her for Thanksgiving! She asked if she could bring a friend. I had to hem & haw about that, because we're already, with her, having 10 people! This is a small single width trailer after all, but I said to her "the more the merrier"! I mean that, sincerrely! I am going to have to get another table though, cuz our round table only has 1 leaf and we need more space LOL
Our table, when it's open, butts up against the loveseat, so I'm going to put the loveseat on the other side of the living room which means I have to move other stuff from there. Now it's situated to view the TV but we won't be doing that on Monday, and in the meantime I can cuddle with Bob on the couch! :-)

today I went to the church to continue cataloguing the library books - a friend is on the committee to check appropirateness, and she called out the names while I wrote the author & title, and later (after Monday) I will add them in Excel and create Dewey Decimal catagories and labels for them (much later - will take 2 months to get it all done - at least a few hundred, and they've got to be put in order and labels made. We're only doing this when we can, so about 4 hours/week.

Well, going to go clean out the fridge today, and will have Refrigerator Dinner tonight lol Gotta make room for dinner for 10, and then leftovers afterwards! I told Bob about our plans for tonight and he didn't look like he thought I could do a tasty dinner that way LOL We shall see...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 8, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8841027

DONE/FINITO/KAPUT :-) Dinner is over, dish washer is humming away (not me) and the parents are getting things squared away for the trip back .. will leave for the airport at 4:30am .. YIKES.. !!!

My Aunt is out of hospital and HOME .. YAY .. will see her tomorrow ..

Susan .. all the best with your dinner .. lordy .. my kitchen was so FULL .. pots and pans and tupperware everywhere LoL

Heading for bed soon ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 8, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8841358

Here's for all celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend:
http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=WQ26144948

I can't use a dishwasher for my dishes, because they're rather antique, and 'sides - don't have one! I did, but gave it away when we were "showing" our home for selling. We aren't selling, but now I don't have the portable - took too much room, anyway!! So, dishes for 10 people on Monday... yikes! Well, I splurged and got 2 sets of 2 disposable Catering trays (with the sterno) which means less bowls (I think...)!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 9, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8841615

And may I offer this for all the Canadian Gardeners :-)

http://www.jacquielawson.com/notecards/pickup/2994214995801?source=jl999

Susan .. my dishwasher was OVERLOADED last evening .. and, as a result, had to handwash some of the utensils .. perish the thought LoL

Lorna's parents are winging their way to Toronto, was strange being out on the roads at 4am !! ALMOST hit a big ol'skunk !!!

Gonna catch me a nap, then commence the doing of the laundry .. be still my heart !!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 9, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8842405

Thank you for the card, Marilyn - lovely! Yikes on the SKUNK!
lol are you having fun doing the laundry?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 9, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8842530

Beautiful "M". Just finishing a long day..thanksgiving day was wonderful with the family..few things to clean up and then bedtime for me...boys are all watching movies so likely won't miss me!

Waving to all

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 10, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8843675

What an awesome day today!! Hard to believe we are getting such amazing temps here in North Western ON.

Walked the property today to take in the colours, took some pics and will share a couple.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend and is 'sufficiently suffonsified' in the turkey dept ^_^

Pic #1 is the back trail we walk .. always watching for bears of course ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 10, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8843678

This is the Poplar tree beside the garage .. just a gorgeous gold. We have few Maples, so reds are uncommon here bouts.

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 10, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8843770

Spectacular photo's "M". Brilliant yellow, not much red here..Melanie DIL. dropped in to take leftover pies and turkey home, thank goodness otherwise we know who would be eating it all! Did manage to put 75% of yard art and furniture away, got the two ponds put to bed, yikes, I could be nicknamed swamp lady. Lol. Didn't close in back and side deck, leaving that for next weekend..didn't take top odd gazebo, am hoping to do that one night this week, only about 1/2 hr...Melanie said over the weekend she would have Kyle come do the leaves ..I'll be thrilled if all is done before it's necessary to freeze my fingers! Lol. Most years I do...

jeff, my youngest rode his 2 wheel bike from Toronto to here on Saturday, the, grandkids, DIL and my boys put in 40 yesterday so when Jeff woke up this morning a bit achy and I suggested I drive him and his bike to Barrie he agreed..he should be home soaking about now.

He and Julie are planning a ten day trip from here to NYC and then take the train back..he figures May/June..

So are you all feasted out and tired..hope you've all enjoyed this weather and celebrated Thanksgiving in a manner that you most enjoyed.. Our weather reached 78 this
afternoon...can't beat that now can you?

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 10, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8843883

No feasting for me. Picked up what I presume was a case of food poisoning Friday and was sick all weekend, starting to improve now, hope it continues as I fly to Toronto on Wed!

My neighbor who hosts a local thanksgiving dinner just brought me a plate of turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, hope I can eat it, getting tired of little amounts of bland things to eat and drink.

Lost about 5 lbs!

Hope the weather in Toronto and area stays nice and warm- will be in the vicinity for a little over a week.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 10, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8843925

Ahhh, now that wasn't good!! Wonderful to have neighbors that keep an eye on you. 5lb is a lot weight in such a short time, hoping folks in Toronto can fatten you up! If you don't improve, heaven forbid, could you fly out at another time?

Sorry to say they are calling for rain most of the week, at least here, let's hope a front moves in and brings sunshine to toronto area. Do you have someone to sit with the furries?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 10, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8844063

Well the weight lost was pretty much all fluid!
I was able to eat the mashed potatoes and dressing and gravy with a bit of turkey- tasted great, first 'proper' meal for several days.
Two of the dogs go to my dog walkers and Sassy will go to another foster home. My neighbor Marie comes in and feeds the cat and socializes with him a bit.
Sure hope it does not rain- my brother just emailed me he and daughter want to drive me out and see fall colors- they are both great photographers.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 10, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8844130

Here's hoping it will be nice..this weekend , had you not been I'll would have been the perfect weekend, couldn't have gotten any better. Regardless, you'll enjoy spending time with your brother and niece. You know the weathermen, they've been known to be wrong! Lots of pre prep when you have animals!
Sure hope you are feeling better.

Calling it a night!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 10, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8844272

sorry to hear you were sick, Carol - nasty thing, food poisoning!
You have wonderful neighbours - bringing you Thanksgiving dinner :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 11, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8844650

Carol .. I sure hope you're feeling better by Wednesday. Think perhaps an immodium before you board the plane might not be a bad idea, just in case !!

Susan .. how did your dinner go in so far as having enough space? It was such an awesome day here yesterday .. well .. folks could have eaten outside I'm sure . Gotta be in for some crummy weather soon ..

Busy week coming up .. best get a good look, as opposed to a fleeting glance, at the calendar ..

Have a great day

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 11, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8844836

Thanks M. I use Immodium on a regular daily basis anyway but it does not seem to have had much effect on the current problem. In any case I seem to be 'drying up' Only up once last night, had a good sleep ( with a little help) and feel pretty good this morning.

Need to clean out the fridge, get out the garbage ( tomorrow is pick up day) get the dogs packages ready to go, cancel the newspaper and- almost forgot - go get some money!
Dean will pick up Bailey and Abby at noon today, Joan will come this afternoon for Sassy.
Also need to remember to flip over a couple of fountains that have a bit of water in them in case there is a freeze.
Still lots of veggies in the garden so I will send an email to some neighbors to go pick/dig whatever they want.
Time I gave a little thought to what I take with me.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 11, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8844859

Both of you sound as thought you'll be busy/busy this week..
sure hope Carole you feel better..

on my way to work this a.m.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 11, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8844885

Sister Sharon asked if you could vote for her American Eskimo dog in this contest...

If you've time, would appreciate it

http://www.fidocastingcall.ca/dogs/795

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 11, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8844888

beautiful sunrise, Betty! When I come to Jackie's, I go right into the sun and it's Blinding! Today I remembered to put my sunglasses on and it went better.

~M~ there's no way we could have eaten outside in this weather - cold...
Dinner went beautifully, and one of our guests (Nami) gave us a piano concert afterwards. I think Bob is home doing the dishes lol We got some plates, cutlery, and glasses done, but geeeeeeze there's a lot for bowls, pots, etc etc etc still left. Guest didn't leave until 10, so was up cleaning until 11:30 (Bob took a couple of them home, so I started while he was out).
I'll post pics when I'm home - likely tonight before church board meeting.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 11, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8844895

looking forward to seeing them Susan...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 11, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8845310

LoL .. I voted for you sisters dog, and entered our Lilly at the same time ...
Who knows, maybe they'll work TOGETHER !!!

Susan .. even though I used the dishwasher, the pots and pans and bowls all got hand washed .. a chore to be sure ..

LOVE the sunrise pic Betty .. went to the border today to pick up a parcel .. WOW!!! Gorgeous scenic views ..

Take care and travel safe Carol !!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 11, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8845353

Well now 'M' I'll have to visit the site and vote again..lol too funny!

Imagine, it is 74 right now..who would have thunk it..we better not get too cocky because we could have snow before end of month so best we enjoy it while it lasts..say that rain front is moving in this evening, feel badly for Carol

Safe trip Carol..

ahhh, as for dishwashers, if it doesn't fit in the dishwasher then it doesn't have a home here..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 12, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8845901

I'll have to remember that 'mantra' re dishwashers Betty .. makes perfect sense to me !!

Is it ever FOGGY outside this morning, and, our pleasant temps have been replaced with near seasonal ones, I guess our run of record making temps have gone south with the Geese and the Robins .. ahhh well .. it was to be expected ..

Thanks for voting for Lillly Betty, I have tried to find her pic on there (my goodeness there HAS to be well over 2000 poochies entered) and I can't find her .. luckily I kept the initial email I rec'd and I can vote for her from that link.

Best make a cup of tea before the house starts to officially waken ..

CHEERS

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 12, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8846127

Yes, Sharon just reminded me to go vote again today
http://www.fidocastingcall.ca/dogs/795

off to check on Lilly, they move #'s depending on votes, think Sharon's is 27 today..she had me vote from office computer and ipad.

Guess Carol is at the airport? Sure hope she's feeling better, nothing like visiting when you aren't up to par.
Nice fall day here, rain moves in tonight and 80-90% chance of rain right through to Sunday..40%on Monday..let's hope a front moves in or it rains through the night and during the day its sunshine for her~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 12, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8846131

If you find Lilly's page can you post the link?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 12, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8846295

I THINK this is the link for Lilly ... http://www.fidocastingcall.ca/dogs/3531
Good gravy there is any and every type of dog imaginable on the site !!!

Thanks for any votes forthcoming ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 12, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8846342

They are too adorable...voted!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 12, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8846649

I was going to vote, but the site is down... will try to remember later, when it's back up and running again!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 12, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8846655

Hmmm wonder if it's partly on blackberry system..most have been down today! Tks Susan!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 12, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8846667

ah well - someone remind me later, and I'll vote lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 13, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8847178

Whoa .. talk about a site being 'bogged down' .. guess if it's a testament to anything, it's a testament to how MUCH folks love their dogs !!

So dark in the mornings, FALL BACK day is Nov. 6. After that I'm sure we'll feel that we're in FULL hibernation.

I am guessing Carol got away on her trip .. am hoping she is granted a few nice fall days ..

Off to physio soon, then to see my Hospice client ..

Take care everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 13, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8847224

Fall day here, hardly a leaf left in my 30 trees...sad to say they are all on my lawn..

Finally stopped procrastinating and have made appt. with my Doctor for tomorrow re my arm..talk about pain!!!
Nothing broken, probably just old age but not taking chances seeing it's my right arm.

Won't be sunshine for Carol in Toronto today nor for the next 3 or 4 days..so glad I've lots to do to keep me busy!!!

Imagine, seems like yesterday we started a new year and talking Christmas now that Thanksgiving is over with..looked at my calendar, I've 3 weekends I'm off the the States for Christmas shopping with the girls, then one with mom and then one with another groups of friends..Really I'm almost done so not sure what I'll be shopping for..oh yes, flannel for mom's rag quilt she wants for Christmas
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 13, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8847738

Hi folks!

Made it safely to Toronto, the ride was uneventful, seems my insides are almost back to normal!Pouring rain when I arrived last night, stopped sometime overnight but not nice this morning or wherever it was my DM and DN wanted to go so trip cancelled and other events mean we won't do it. And Ken says the rain probably stripped most of the leaves anyway. Sun did come out and warmed up in afternoon. We are having a lazy day, slept in, went out briefly to Drug Store to pick up a couple of things I forgot to bring with me, had a nap after lunch and now a bit of computer time.
Ken has two funerals to go to tomorrow and Sunday afternoon so I will just stay here reading and watching TV. Dinner with the nieces and their families on Sat.
Miss the dogs !

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 13, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8847825

Glad you made it safe and sound, Carol. Very good that you're almost back to normal with your system! I'll just Bet you miss your dogs!

I hope you have a good time - Calgary will miss you!!!!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 13, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8847956

Ken is right Carol, leaves are all but gone. With today's rain and tonight's wind it will finish fall color! Hope tomorrow brings you sunshine!

Glad you are feeling better, just don't overdo

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 13, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8847977

I Got A Job!!
It's sorta a working interview in that it's a "temp to perm". The company is Alstom Grid, Canada and is a bit of a drive, but it's my NE to their SE end of the city. They wanted me to start tomorrow, but I have other committments but they agreed to wait for Monday start. They also agreed to pay me $2/hr more than they first offered, and that is a starting wage. Once they have decided on whether to hire me or not, then I would get a higher wage (hopefully in keeping with my experience and previous wage!)

anyway, I'm happy! Now, to pray for a good job for BOB!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 13, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8848320

Congrats Susan, and, best of luck with the new job !!

Betty/Carol .. rain and lots of it here, and .. WIND .. so .. doubtless all the leaves will be history .. good thing I took pics when I did.
Watched a program this evening re the effects 'EL NINA' will have on Canada this winter .. so 'THEY' say .. lots of snow and precip .. temps above normal ..

I;m still getting up at all hours .. I now think it's become habit !
Best try to get back to sleep as I have a busy day Friday ..

TGIF

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 13, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8848326

Thanks ~M~!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 14, 2011
4:09 AM

Post #8848403

Know my boys are praying for snow "M" but I'm not..really don't mind if it doesn't start end of October right through to end of March..hoping first snowfall happens mid December...do you put faith in these predictions?

Think it's the change in the weather that has us up all hours of the night..
Raining lightly this morning, winds aren't as high so no damage..dark and dreary..maybe that is why my bones are so achy!

Working from home today except for few hours I'm off to see the doctor, am hoping to get all I need done to finish the 12 quilted panels I need for my sewing class tomorrow!

Laughing here, just realized last 1/2 hr I've been watching Romeo/Juliette cartoons. Lol

Off for coffee, will make you a cup as well

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 14, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8848500

Make mine tea Betty (1/2 tsp of sugar) :-)

Re the weather .. between predictions from the Farmers Almanac, and now all the 'El Nina' stuff .. i think I'll just make sure I'm prepared .. not much else ya can do but go south, which we have thought of, but, we simply could not leave Lilly and Piper and Smokey behind ..

I looked this up ... A prediction or forecast is a statement about the way things will happen in the future, often but not always based on experience or knowledge. While there is much overlap between prediction and forecast, a prediction may be a statement that some outcome is expected, while a forecast may cover a range of possible outcomes.

Think I'll stick with FORECAST .. kinda like the 'covers a range of possible outcomes'.
Best stratedgy is to take it 'one day at a time' I would think.
Temps over the last few years here in the North West have moderated significantly .. yep .. we still get some bone chilling days, but, not WEEKS of them.

Rain (and lots of it) will be the order of the day today .. so .. Umbrellas it is as we venture out to appts. I have a workshop this afternoon .. looking forward to it .. sponsored by 'St Elizabeth Health Care' .. it's actually a 'discussion forum' for care givers looking after a disabled relative/friend in the home .. the researchers want to 'pick our brains' with regards to what kinds of services we'd LIKE to see put in place to help us out .. as well as what kind of education should be offered to someone willing to take on thie task. Should be interesting.

Betty .. TODAY might just be the day I break down and rent 'Gnomeo and Juliette' LoL ... have had it in my hand twice and put it back .. but .. it looks like a sweet movie Lo L .. since tomorrow is 'SWEETEST DAY' .. it might be apropos.

I best get a bustle on ..

Enjoy your day

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 14, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8849068

~M~ since when do you wear a bustle? I thought those were things worn in Scarlet O'Hara's days... are you a Southern Belle? lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 14, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8849090

You should see me HUSTLE in my BUSTLE LoL
YEE HAW !!!!!

When I figure skated (before the dinosaurs became extinct) I once had a costume with a BUSTLE .. got my skate blade caught in it, and fell KERSPLAT on the ice .. it was kind of a 'domino effect' as I remember it, and, the BUSTLES went to where all good BUSTLES go .. the SALLY ANN !!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 14, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8849313

LOL I can JUST PICTURE IT, Marilynne!!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 14, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8849473

SHARING with you on this cold and blustery night !!

ENJOY, and, DREAM ^_^

http://player.vimeo.com/video/27920977?title=0&%3bbyline=0&%3bportrait=0href=

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 15, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8849741

Morning everyone, sun is trying to come out that a plus..had booked private sewing lesson 1:00-4:00 today but Glenda (sewing instructor) had a death in the family so cancelled it is..

Finished last touches to mom's afghan she gave me to put together, dusted, vacuumed and just washed the floors!

Time to head downstairs to finish last loads of towels..did 11 in all seeing I had a flood in the basement, can't figure out what happened there...oh well, dehumidifier is helping as well. I am just grateful I didn't go downstairs last night before going to bed otherwise I might have needed a canoe today.

"m" a lot of rental places allow dogs in Florida..I'm thinking of getting away for 3 weeks at Christmas, hoping to anyway..so if the snow doesn't start until mid Dec and I go 3 weeks, winter should pass quickly..and you are so right, deal with winter one day at a time.

Are you getting this wind??hmmm makes you want to stay in your jammies..

Do have to go out though, MIL 85th birthday, don't know why I'm attending, other than getting right in her face she prefers not to acknowledge me ( all to do with roger's death).. Have a quick run into town first to put flowers on my grandma's grave, it's the 10th anniversary of her death, as she raised me she's more my mom than my mom and then a last stop to pick, pick up corsage for MIL then pick up Sil's and be at steakhouse by 5:00

Should get everything ready to wear so it's a simple dress-up at last minute and will allow me a few hours to play in the sewing room!

"m". I called for Dr's appt Thursday, got in Friday, did tests on Friday..was quite impressed! I know you have lots to offer the health panel.

Susan, guess you are busy getting all in order before you start work on y..bet you are thrilled to be on payroll again..now if Bob can start working before long it will be a happy household!

carol, you've not had the nicest of weather this trip to my. Neck of the woods but hope time spent with your family was enjoyable!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 15, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8849793

'Busy Bustling Betty' :-) I hope all goes well with the MIL BDay dinner ..

WIND here is ferocious, sunny though, but I am hesitant to venture outside ... MAY go to the dump though ..

Had a cousin in Calgary pass away .. kind of shocked .. she was one of the reasons I became a nurse .. I always looked up to her ..
Susan .. if you see an obit for 'Andrea Flanagan' in your paper .. could you scan it .. or ... sheesh I think I might look it up ONLINE .. doh !!
Funny thing is .. her STEP mom passed 3 days before her, and, they had been estranged since the late 60s .. families huh?

Made a pumpkin pie this morning from the last 2 cups of goop from the pie pumpkin .. really do prefer the fresh pumpkin .. sure hope Gord brings me just ONE more to put away for Xmas.

Poor Lorna .. LoL .. she pressed ?some? button on the Shaw remote, and we have tried and tried to UNDO whatever it was she did .. finally I turned off the TV and UNPLUGGED it .. waited 5 minutes, plugged it back in .. and POOF ... it was ALL good ... sure makes you feel a wee bit dumb sitting there reading the instructions aloud to one another and hoping that ONE of them will be 'the fix' !

I best get a move on ..

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 15, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8849845

Sorry to hear of your cousins passing "M" Difficult when you live so far away from each other and get such news..soft hugs coming your way. Odd how that happens, Mike, was an only child and three days before he died she passed on..however hard is was for Ann and the girls, somehow it made it easier for all..the not having to tell her about Mike!

Technology isn't it grand! Frustrating when all the boys come and hook up their toys then leave and I got to get things back to normal..too many gadgets right? Glad it was an easy fix.,

Now you've made me hungry for pumpkin pie, you've convinced me to take the pumpkin pie I put in the freezer out..will be yummy for evening coffee.

Cannot believe the high winds, sure wish it would blow all my leaves in a pile vs. all over in the yard. Even with. Heat on I can feel the wind almost inside the house. Had so ethnic out to wear tonight but will get something much warmer ..brrr is right!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 15, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8849982

Marilynnne - here's the link to her obit - I don't get a paper copy of the newspaper - I just Googled her name (comma Calgary) and this is what I got. What a terrific looking lady!

http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary/412868/Flanagan-Andrea.php

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 15, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8850079

Thanks so much Susan .. Andie was a fabulous person, and an amazing nurse, she'll be missed and that's for sure.

The wind has kept up all day here .. leaves blowin every which a way .. but not OUT of the yard LoL
Temps are so changed from last weekend .. must be Canada LoL

Enjoy your evening everyone

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 15, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8850165

It sure sounds like she was well-loved, and a very busy and well-travelled lady to be sure!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 15, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8850290

In my neck of the woods

Wind Warning
Issued at Saturday, 15 October, 2011 8:28 PM

Very strong winds this evening.
A deepening low pressure system near James Bay is resulting in strong west to southwesterly winds over much of Southern Ontario. The strongest winds are expected to the Lee of Georgian Bay and in the Picton Sandbanks area. In these locales, sustained wind speeds near 60 km/h are likely, with wind gusts reaching 90 km/h at times. Winds will diminish somewhat later tonight, but are expected to remain brisk through Sunday.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 15, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8850335

In my neck of the woods

6f, going to -2c brrrrrrr at least it's not going to -6c it was supposed to!

On the plus side - made a huge amount of turkey soup - now to find where to put it! I went grocery shopping and filled fridge, and freezer (as well as the chest freezer in our porch!)
I'm making Morning Cheer Marmalade (has scotch whisky in it, so very cheering lol).
Tastes good, actually, but it's still on the stove and I just have to let it cook another 20 min and add the scotch!

Next weekend is the church sale - I have 4 large rum fruitcakes to pre-sell. Hope the orders go well...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 16, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8850660

Hope the sale works out for you Susan, you said you would takenorders, now that you are working will you still do so?

Wind is still up, good day to stay in jammies and just relax..

What are you all up to today, anything exciting?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8850736

Wind has died down a little here .. and .. the "S" word is in the forecast :-(
Mind you, mixed with rain, but, still and all .. the "S" word !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taking the puppers for a car ride to town .. maybe take them to Tims for a TimBit .. altho Lilly turns her nose up at them .. but .. Piper will eat her share LoL

Made chicken tetrazinni last night, made enough there'll be leftovers tonight .. YAY !!!

Susan, you've given me a SHOVE :-)
My Mom always made fruit cakes for Xmas, started around now doing it .. I think I'd like to try. I always remember it being a HUGE deal .. she had to mix the ingredients in a big roast pan, and she had several sizes of pans she put the cakes in (she made'em for weddings too) she would buy the Almond paste and ice them .. I;m just wondering .. since i am almost 90% positive I will NOT find her pans, what do you cook yours in ? Now I really want to try and make one.
Bulk Barn be on the look out for me LoL

So .. off to make brkfst ..

TTFN

~M~

PS sharing a pic of the dogs from yesterday .. they were watching Gorillas on the television LoL

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 16, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8850757

Omg how cute! Furries do enjoy watching tv especially when involving wildlife! See mine come to attention...think Sharon bought movies geared to interest out pets..imagine.

Wind was down but I can see it's getting stronger, soon won't be able to tell by leaves blowing because there will be no leaves left to blow...

Yikes, as you say, even a mix of rain/snow is not good..I have seen snow come mid October and stay till late spring..made for one longggg winter.

My grandfather owned a bakery wheni was but a little girl, do remember going there with friends after school to get a treat. Think Aunt Muriel has his pans, doubtful anyone else in the family would be interestedin them, should ask for them..don't think it would be too bold of me as she has already given me 2 of my great grandmothers Christmas balls, paper like now and also gave me my grandmother whom I'm named after, her watch which is engraved with our name so she would be open to me asking

Hmmm tumbles sure sound lime a plan, someone yesterday mentioned pumpkin pie so I took one out of the freezer so best I finish that before going for more sweets which I don't need.

Been sewing for 1/2 hour or so, took a painkiller but arm is giving me the what for. So might be a day of just sitting..should go look for arm sling, might help..it seems worse than the feet, the knees ect maybe because I continue to use it..isn't old age fun? NOT

When will Carol be back?
Enjoy your day..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8850792

Betty .. sounds as though you might have 'tendonitis' .. is the pain running from your elbow down to your wrist? An anti inflammatory and ice is best for it .. like Advil or Aleve, Motrin .. Ibuprophen .. and, of course, NOT USING the affected limb LoL (like that is going to happen) !!

Threw a load of laundry in .. won't leave the house til it's done .. have known a couple of acquaintenances over my lifetime who have gone out with the washer running and come home to basements full of water .. it may only have been 2 people, but that visual sticks with me as we live in a ranch style home .. one level .. so .. if there was a flood .. wellllllllllllll .. BIG mess !!
Also won't go out and leave the dryer on in an empty home .. Gord attended more than a few fires where the home owners were out, the dryer over heated and they came home to trouble ..
Going to try and hang this stuff on the line .. guess I'm trying to disbelieve the forecast ^_^

TTYL

~M~

This message was edited Oct 16, 2011 10:31 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 16, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8851200

Dr said lots of inflamed areas so thinks it's an internal infection causing the problem..

Tv/phone/Internet just came on, been down all day..thank goodness hydro was on

Yikes chilled to the bones..sun was out for awhile and now it feels like the wind is coming through the walls.

I've a bad habit of leaving dishwasher and washer running as I leave for work, know I'm asking for trouble!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8851638

Betty - Yes, I'll still take orders for the rum fruit cakes!
Marilynne - I use bundt cake or angel food cake pans (no I don't make angel food cake in them afterwards... I know you can't, due to the butter/oil etc).
If I get requests for small ones, I'll make some in bread pans, too. This will dictate the $$ I'm asking for them.
My coleus has Not rebounded sufficiently for me to sell them. Ah well, it just means I'll have less to haul there and back (if they don't sell...).

Well, need to create signs for my tables...
I'm having trouble finding the tiny labels for the library books. Maybe I'll find them next week...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 17, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8852946

I have one of each of those types of pans .. so .. it's all good ^_^
Now I just need to get the SHOVE to go and puchase the fruit and nuts etc .. Was in the Bulk Barn today, but buying stuff for pickled beets .. finally have THAT monkey off my back !!

Plumber is coming Thursday evening .. my dang kitchen sink is driving me BUGGY .. it won't drain properly .. Gord is NOT by any means 'plumbing inclined' .. and I am becoming VERY testy about the whole situation .. so .. I'll see what he says about a fix and the COST of same.

Have the first woodstove fire of the season going, the wind finally brought us to our knees .. the cat is ecstatic !!! The dogs are so so .. Lilly is a 'semi heat sponge', Piper is a COOL DUDE .. I'm just happy I can open a window or 2 if need be ..

Off to rattle some pots and pans

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 17, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8853386

My 1st day at my new job went very welll!! Sent there on contract, but they want to hire a mature person who will stay there. I am a Project assistant - will be getting a corporate credit card. My boss wants me to go with him when he travels for meetings. My family is in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and he said he'd be asking me to go there and also to Montreal, and Staford England!
Wow, eh?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 17, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8853418

Looks like everyone is getting into the hibernation state and Baking! That will be my next big thing so the freezer will have some back up.
Susan sounds like the job is super enjoy!
Carol are you still down east? Our weather out west is ok, had a killing frost the other night so will have to get out the Begonia corms and the Cana's to put away. Now it's going to be nice for a while so that is good.
Back to crazy work and DD has school things going on so just busy busy for me.
I do lurk here though.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 17, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8853419

Hi Ann! Yeah, we had a killer frost the other night, too - don't think my coleus is going to survive... think it's done for!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 18, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8853734

Well Susan .. you'll be a Globe Trotter .. Hope the new boss will be nice to travel with ^_^

Alberta Ann .. our killing frostS were in late Sept. Mind you, I still had roses blooming following .. not now though ..
Have a friend in Kingston whose DD is involved (heavily) in CheerLeading .. her other DD does figure skating and swimming, and my bud hardly find time to work (she's a nurse) .. Good luck organizing your time .. have meant to ask before .. How is your knee?

Another breezy day, but, not quite as bad as the last 3.

Have a banana loaf on the agenda, and, cleaning my china cabinet .. OYE !!

Have beeen wondering how Viola Ann is .. miss her posts ..

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 18, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8853761

Alberta Ann, amazing how after school activities take up all free time! My having boys (now grandsons) just isn't the same, usually it's the dad's that do the running, must say though DIL is always at hockey..

Glad you are having the better weather, yikes been raining here since last week, calling for heavy rains the next few days..not liking it at all..hoping you'll enjoy a bit more of those outside pretties.

"M" you are baking up a storm, just think if you freeze a lot you'll not have much to do in the line of baking come the holidays..my problem is I bake, set it in the freezer than out it comes within days..should put a lock on it and give a friend to key to keep it safe from my munching...love sweets.

Let's hope Susan today will be as exciting for you as yesterday was..nice getting settled in a new office and meeting new co-workers..

Yesterday the sky on my way in was a bright red..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 18, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8853763

Today, still amazing

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 18, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8854506

Yes I am still here. Weather has not been very nice, yesterday and today it did not rain but supposed to start again tonight!
I fly home on Thursday.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 18, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8854525

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip in Toronto, Carol.
Have a good flight back!

Today, my 2nd day at this job, I got invited to the Dec 16th Christmas Party, and also to bowling this Friday with people from Stratford England! The company is making a "team building" bowling team :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 18, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8854528

Weather certainly did not co operate for you Carol..some of the nastiest this season just sorry it had to be on your visit. Have you been well though..oops ann just arrived, tv bingo

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 19, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8855142

Betty .. what beautiful pics !!! Makes the drive to work so much nicer ^_^

Susan .. sounds as though you are working for a PRO AcTIVE employer .. a good thing ..

Carol .. what can i say .. I have watched the weather down east, as well, Lorna's folks call daily from King city (north of Toronto) and they tell us what it's like ..
Hope you have a nice flight back tomorrow ..

Off to physio in a bit .. only 4 times left .. and.. between it and the drugs I have healed !!! Well .. it seems so .. i know i am going to HAVE to be careful .. with snow shoveling season on the horizon .. that'll be a tuffy ..
I am not going to have the MRI .. feel foolish going when my shoulder in now a NON issue.

Best go put some make up on

Have a good one

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 19, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8855211

Helloooooooo Everyone & Good Morning!
Getting ready for work (geeze I love the sound of that!) and thought I'd pop in a few words...
I my new boss about how I was let go from one job because I was over 50 and he looked very concerned that this would happen in this day and age. My physician admin boss was my age and he was great. My HR boss was at least 20 years younger than me and she was totally unsympathetic to both of us being unemployed in our 50's/60's! Also, Neil wanted a mature person simply for the ability to say "no" to extra duties when necessary lol

To all - have a terrific day! Sorry I can't keep up with you during the day anymore, but paycheques are important lol

This message was edited Oct 19, 2011 6:15 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 19, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8855213

"M" glad you are feeling better..ohh don't mention that word
Poor Carol, won't be the greatest of days in Toronto, moving in is torrential rains and high winds

Must check to make sure my drains are all cleared so no more flooding tonight

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 19, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8855216

you have a good day settling in Susan, love hearing you sound so chipper!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 20, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8856726

Have read a few articles, the best was in a summer Chatelaine, with regards to the increased hiring of MATURE staff to work along side MATURE administrators/bosses. The mature employees are found to be more self directed and reliable and more apt to be able to keep up with the flow of the business.
Sounds as though you have gotten a good position .. all the best !

Fall has finally fallen on us .. temps are cool, air is damp .. gloves are the order of the day, AND, I so HATE to say this .. there are XMAS COMMERCIALS on the radio !!!!!!!!! Almost drove off the road when one came on the other day !!!

Plumber is coming this evening to diagnose my kitchen sink problem. I really am looking forward to being able to rinse things with the water running and not have the sink fill up because it isn't draining properly .. I had the sinks installed less than 3 years ago .. apparently the fellow who did it was NOT a plumber with certification . Course it's anyones best guess where HE is now .. sigh !!!!!!! I am way too trusting of people.

Off to physio in a bit ..

Have a good one

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 20, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8856814

Morning, raining to beat the dickens with winds this morning...hoping to find everything
'dry' when I get home..might call a friend to go check and if flooding then off I go..more rain tomorrow so good excuse to stay home..

Will be a busy weekend, Saturday taking an early morning ride to Buffalo, pick up materials at Joann's..the sale ends Saturday so its the only opportunity I have..then Sunday morning I'm at a quilt shop taking a lesson how to put these 3 quilts I'm doing together in new fashion..

Looking at my calendar, drats, before you know it it will be Christmas Eve (that's ok, almost done) lol

This weekend is spoken for, Oct. 29th..trip to Toronto re big sale at GANZ, November 4 and November 11 - shopping trip with girls to USA, Nov. 17th free weekend for now..last weekend in annual family/friends craft day and on and on...

"M" already you can see all the stores stocked up for Christmas..would think that Nov. 1st the Christmas music will start.

Heard the weather report for you all in the west, best get out your winter garb ..brrrr

Made arrangement with my plowman, that's always nice to know should we have a snowfall yard will be cleaned!

Now "M" could it be DH who did the plumbing, only a guess..could I be right??

Not many more PT appointments, you'll be glad as you wouldn't want to be driving in bad weather!

Carol comes home today right?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 20, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8857360

Seems as though the trees down Toronto way have gotten a HUGE pre Xmas drink !!!
We have basked in the sun all day, but will be living with lows of -5C overnight .. the woodstove will be lit that is for sure.

Betty, a 'so called' professional installer put the kitchen sinks in when we renovated the kitchen .. one of the sinks started to act up within 6 months, but, seemed to rectify itself .. now both sinks become slow to drain and it makes me BUGS !!!
Gord does not touch electrical or plumbing .. seems if he does we inevitably end up having to call someone in to repair the original repair and then what he kinda goofed up on top of it.

Only 3 physio appts left .. I am ecstatic .. and happy with the results ^_^

Best keep a look out for the fella .. luckily he knows we have 2 kinda yappy dogs ...

TTFN

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8857931

Good news re the plumber ^_^
Very nice fella, lives in our little Township so travelling to us is a NON issue. Seems the sinks were installed improperly re some 'gasket in the drain' .. he removed them, and, voila .. perfect draining !!!
He will come back on Tuesday to repalce the piping under the sink, and, I have asked him to replace the taps in the ensuite bathroom.

Chilly day on the agenda, but, sunny .. am thinking all the people who have invested and erected the solar panels here abouts are quite happy with their power storage. The huge towers with the 2 large articulating panels, seem to be popping up on several properties .. quite pricey .. have heard $120,000, but, once they start working and capturing the energy you're basically set free from your hydro electric charges .. in these changin times I can see them becoming more popular, especially if there are incentives ...

Off to get gas for the vehicle today as well as a set of taps .. AND, well, there just happens to be a DOLLAR STORE in close proximity to the plumbers store, can NEVER not go in LoL

TGIF

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8858221

http://player.vimeo.com/video/27920977?title=0&%3bbyline=0&%3bportrait=0href=

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8858460

Oh wow! I thought things were pretty quiet. You started a new thread on the day we went to Germany and I didn't have enough computer time to notice it and "watch" it. Have found you now. We had two weeks in Germany - first in Berlin and then Dresden and then in Würzburg for an International Viola Congress. Got back Monday afternoon and am finally getting back in the swing of things. Have been working on pictures and have quite a few uploaded, but only the Berlin ones with complete captions. If you want to look at it now, it's at http://violaann.smugmug.com/Travel/Germany-2011/19643233_pL2nst/1 The picture titles do show in lieu of of captions and in many cases they will tell you what you are looking at, but without any background or impressions.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 21, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8858506

Oooh I'm going to Germany, well not quite but through your travels ViolaAnn!

Love the rose carol, you are back home now right?? Now we get sunshine.

Glad "M" you are all fixed up, pays to bring in the big guns. Lol. Now you can do dishes without worry.

Won't be long and I'm going to call it a night, why I said I'd go to Buffalo tomorrow for the day is beyond me..leaving here at 5am..hoping to be back late afternoon..now customs might have another idea!!

Susan, good luck at the church sale and enjoy tonight's movie.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8858565

I'll get busy and add some more caption.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 21, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8858570

Beautiful...bet if you did research, somewhere you would/could be related.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8858745

Carol, cool link I love to see the close ups.
VAnn , Europe is very cool and you are so organized!
Betty I too travel on the tails of others.

If any one wants to look I have put a couple more photo's on my Kauai trip thread and will add a couple more when it lets me, I finally got my memory stick from my sister.

DD is in a volleyball tourney this weekend and I am off to get snacks ready for the team for tomorrow.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 22, 2011
12:23 AM

Post #8858852

I'll have to find the link Ann..so enjoy looking at all the photo's.

Know my sister said come early so we can be in Buffalo by 8am but this is ridiculous..been up for hours and it's 3:15.. Guess I'll pack up be be at her door extra early!

Enjoy your day everyone

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8858950

Ann - I through away so many unlabelled pics from my mother's house. Want to get mine so I know what they are in a few years. I got more captions done - partially into Dresden. The photos are posted through Würzburg.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 22, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8859037

I had wondered where you were ViAnn .. welcome back, and the pics are wonderful !!
Have been the route of having to throw out literally hundreds of unmarked photos from both my parents estates and Gordon's parents. We did the pre requisite visiting of the surviving siblings to try and discern dates and faces, but, in the end, several albums and boxes of photos were incinerated .. kinda made us feel horrible, but, what can you do. We did give many photos to the Armouries for their archives as several albums were put together during the second world war.

Betty .. I sure hope you can enjoy your day and not fall asleep .. long as you enjoy yourselves that's the most important part ..

Laundry on the menu for the first part of the day .. then I guess MORE yardwork ..

My son and granddaughter are involved in a HAUNTED HOUSE tour over the next few days/weeks .. her pic was in the paper yesterday, I scanned it and will post it, hope it isn't too big.

Off I go

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 23, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8860543

Evening all, finally, just got home from my sewing class today, had bath and while pork chops are cooking I'm visiting opener you all, just know once I eat it will be night, night for me.

Yesterday was tons of fun, great day with my only sister, we don't get together often enough..cross into USA at 8:30 am, less than a 10 minut wait..was at Joann's fabrics before it even opened. Lol, nothing like being in a hurray! You know is amazes me what we pay for fabric here compared to the USA...on Thursday night I stopped and picked up a meter of Xmas cotton, paid $14.99 a meter..at Joann's same print after discounts $4.75 yard...buy enough to do 2 or
three quilts and you get 3 for price of one here...

Got enough yardage to make Caleb's jester costume and a queen size rag quilt for mom for Xmas. Would have bought more but just being over for the day you are not suppose to come back with anything...border agent looked atmthe receipts we gave her so we could pay duty, but she handed it back to us and said, have a nice day! I'll be back in USA. On 4th and the 11th so I'll know what I'm missing and can get it then.

Had to be in Craighurst for 10:30..arrived dead on, good thing didn't leave for home until after 4pm..

I've been excited about doingbthis project..kept thinking it was more a wallhanging/throw, but put the 12 strips together and the first thing I said was, yikes, that is big so now i must rethink the project.still have edging to add which will almost make it a double bed size.. Is nice though!!

Falling asleep here as I type..waving will be back in a bit.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011 5:45 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 23, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8860554

Betty - we MUST have you post pics of your project! How lovely of the customs agent to just let you swan though!!
I want to see Caleb's jester costume too!

Looks like Bob & I will be dressing up for Hallowe'en after all! We're going to a party at the Community Hall Pub and they want people to dress up - he'll be the grim reaper and I'll be Vampira.
We're going to a fellow choir member's party the next night, but it's not dress up. We've gone other years, and dressed up. They have a band who play and we really have a great time. They have an old fashioned 2 storey house and have really done period decorating in high style - so beautifully done, too!
Bob & I don't often get asked out, but these 2 parties will be fun (and the 1st costs very little, while the 2nd costs nothing LOL)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 23, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8860636

Susan, If I remember correctly you and Bob had quite the time last year going out at Halloween. How can anyone ask you out, you've always got a full schedule of activities going on. Lol. Fun dressing up, always find most adults won't though!

Will take a photo up to where I am on the pieces I'm doing but just not sure I have enough energy right now..took some photo's of the sunset I took coming home last night and still haven't downloaded..

Laughing to myself, only reason I'm awake right now is smelling pork chops sizzling..know I'm going to burn to. the house down one day

ViolaAnn, must go back and see the photo's along with The Maui photo's

What a sunshine day, sorry I spent it all indoors.

"m" love the photo..they'll have so much fun with this project

Oops got to run

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 23, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8860827

Betty - I know that we went to the house party last year and got costumed up - I helped our friend Bob sew panels into his jeans for his look as a hippy, and gave him some big jewellry to wear too lol We were to dress as 60's (or was it 50's?) people (remember that 60's office tv show and everyone was dressing like that?) and Bob wore a 60's suit while I went as a secretary (with my hat, etc).
No costume this yearr at the house party on Saturday, but Bob & I were just at Shopper's Drug Mart and bought some wigs, I got long eyelashes (beaded), teeth and fake blood for our costuming at the Pub party on Friday!

We're done for the busy time of year until Christmas comes! We always have Christmas Eve service and because Christmas is on Sunday, we'll have another service then - how lovely, eh? So, it's gotten a little quieter now - thank goodness! Now I'll have time to sew all the quilting stuff, etc for DG & Cubits' charities. I think I'll take some to work to work on over lunchtime! There is going to be some handwork - embroidery.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 24, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8861235

Good to see everyone is so busy !! Keeps us all out of trouble I guess ^_^

My 'busytude' seems to be baking .. bread mostly .. although i did make a rhubarb coffeecake simply because it seemed that each time I opened my freezer door, a 2 cup package of frozen rhubarb 'teetered' on the shelf and almost fell out .. best use it as lose it.
Also rendered another pie pumpkin .. a bigger one this time as I scooped 6 cups of pulp from the shell, I usually get just over 4 cups.

Lorna has a 'TEAM' meeting today with the Amputee Rehab program. I am MORE than a bit 'miffed' with them. Seems to me they put the clients through the program, and, once it's done and they feel you won't fall down flat on your face, they let you go and the only follow up is with the prosthetist who is very quickly becoming burned out!! In fact, and I find this quite distressing, the prosthetist was injured about a month ago. He has 3 compression fractures of his spine and is STILL working wearing a brace !!! I want, and need, to know what would happen to the HUNDREDS of amputees in this area were Kerry (the prosthetist) to be injured, or develop an illness which would cause him to be hospitalized and unable to do his job. Yes, he has assistants, but, over the 18 months we have dealt with him, these assistants have done very little 'hands on' stuff. They seem to basically cast the prosthetic devices, or tweak them .. Kerry is the main attraction in so far as fitting the appliances. Kerry is an amputee, so, he has a better understanding of what is involved.
Truth be told, I sure would like a chance to attend at Sunnybrook in Toronto and have Lorna assessed by that rehab facility. BUT .. we certainly do not want to rock too many boats and become known as 'trouble makers' .. sad really when all you're trying to do is advocate for the best care you can get for something that is life altering.

Sun is up, cool day. Hope everyone has a super week :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 24, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8861631

Well it has happened :-(
Team mtg cancelled as Kerry, the prosthetist is in the hospital.
So .. I have called and written our 2 MPPs with regards to the LACK of this profession here in the north, and, the fact that there are hundreds+ amputees now without care.
Gosh, feel so lost .. next option is the Sunnybrook option .. but I think we'll wait for that. Happily Lorna HAS her prosthesis, and is not waiting for it.

Otherwise it has been, so far, a totally mixed up day!! Have had to call the MNR as there is a Doe inside the neighbours enclosure and she can't get OUT .. they gave us permission to cut the back gate lock as the home owner is not living at home at the present time .. Loooooooooong story on that .. the front gates are opened, but the Doe won't go towards the traffic. The lock is now cut, and the back gates opened .. so .. will have to check and see if she has figured it out .. her 2 fawns are on OUR side of the fence ...

To console my soul I made a pumpkin pie LoL .. took my mind off things for 15 minutes !!!

Off for a walk

Cheers

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 24, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8861668

Is that all the time to eat the pumpkin pie? LOL
How miserable for Kerry, and for the 100+ people who are waiting to speak to someone about their prosthesis!!I do hope that Kerry's going to do better soon (for his sake, of course) and get out of the hospital!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 24, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8861905

LoL Susan .. took 15 minutes to put the pie together ... haven't eaten any of it .. yet ^_^

Wishing Kerry all the best for sure, he is probably the world's worst patient as he is 'energy personified' .. if he is to lay flat and be on bed rest .. well .. he'll be very UNhappy .. plus he is SO dedicated to his clients ..

Wonder how Carol is doing .. hope she made it back to Calgary OK ..

Off to whip up some supper .. already have the desert LoL

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 24, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8862117

I heard that Carol's back. She posted some pictures, too!

I came home to find my DH had gotten some dinner bought for him, and he brought leftovers home - so I enjoyed fried chicken and potato wedgies! Always nice when I don't have to cook after a long day at work!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8862422

I'm not doing well at keeping up with all of you, but I DID finish up the Germany pictures today - uploaded the final ones and finished all the captions. So unless I find errors to change (let me know if you see typos), they are all done.

Need to get to bed. Tomorrow is an early aquafit day.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 24, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8862442

Ann - do you have a link to the pics?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 24, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8862510

http://violaann.smugmug.com/Travel/Germany-2011/19643233_pL2...
Susan .. this is the link to ViAnn's photos.
Hmmmmmmmm .. must have missed Carol's pics. Did she have a link or a seperate thread?

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 25, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8862622

Morning all,

Hmmm saying gas is going up this morning, who would have ever guessed!
Dreary day forecasted, sure glad all this rain isn't snow or we would surely be snowed in.

I should have put the phones to my house last night, just realized Suzanne will not be in today or tomorrow, makes for a long and boring day being with me/myself and I. Do have sewing on the Christmas blanket before class Saturday..be glad to get this one done so I know what to do with the other 2.

Susan, are you finding it difficult settling in, sometimes upper management think because they have hired competent staff that they know the in's and outs of their business..don't take on more duties than within reason, nip it in the bud..sometimes not wise to let them in on all your attributes. I remember when I first started working at a firm, one of the boses wanted me out, she knew I knew more than she and her job was in jeopardy if decision makers fou d out, I'd be on top...she was right, she ended up working for me but it was not a good situation. Are there others in your department?

"m" wish you best of luck with your endeavors of getting better services.

Ann, off to continue my adventure!

Got to rn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8862664

Thanks, Marilynne. I didn't put the link in because it was farther up in the same thread, but I didn't realize HOW far up.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 25, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8862685

BRrrrrrrr .. YIKERS ... can actually say THIS morning is by far the coldest we have had all season .. am not 100% sure, but think it's -7C. I'm sitting near the woodstove, so right now 'COLD" is kind of abstract ^_^

Betty I do think you'll find it a long day .. but .. the sewing will help. I sometimes wish I had the ability and patience for crafting, but I simply don't. I used to cross stitch .. keep thinking I should go back to it ...

Susan .. Betty has a good point .. do your job, do it well, but always keep a few things 'secret' so to speak. Bosses WILL load you up to OVER LOAD if they feel they can get away with it. Just hope you're enjoying the work.

Not sure what today will bring, I know the plumber is coming around 5pm or 6 to instal the taps in the ensuite bathroom and replace the piping under the kitchen sink .. find it an odd time for him to come, but I do believe it's because he lives out this way, we're his last stop before home.

Off to make a cuppa .. stay well and safe all ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 25, 2011

Post #8862717

Listened to your weather forecast this morning "M" didn't sound too promising..was bright on my way in, no sooner hit Barrie it clouded over, more rain to come..

I have my micro furnace on here at the office, am sure they turn the heat down evenings and weekends..

Quite comfy, white hot chocolate and berry bagel from Timmies, quilt sitting on lap as I work on it, one could almost fall asleep...hard day at the office it is.

Jeff and Julie will be dropping in on their way home, spent weekend looking at Chalets in Collingwood, both skiiers.Hope their visit happens at lunch time lol

He called last night for me to bring the laptop and 3 e-readers I have as Christmas gifts, he'll download with 1,000 or so books and then I can wrap them and have them ready for under the tree..don't panic, not putting my tree up yet..lol

Go to Buffalo next weekend and week after that so Nov.19th will likely be decorating day. Hopefully on Sunday if its nice out I'd like to get the outdoor lights set in place so I'm not doing it and freezing my fingers

So much to do

"M" you'll be glad to see the plumbing behind you..see that my kitchen zinc is dribbling a bit, must get someone in as well.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8862952

brrrr here too - it's -3 yikers on your -7 ~M~

1. Boss told me on first day he wants me to say "no" on extra work I don't have time for. He wants someone mature enough to be able to do that.
2. It's my regular job that others are assuming that they've told me about and they haven't explained it. So here I am, trying to do a part of my job that they said "Jacqueline used to be able to do it with our instruction" Their instruction is to "issue this" with my having no idea of the process, just the concept! I said to one fellow "sure, I'll issue it to your MIL, ok?" he laughed, but Did Not Get The Concept of what I was saying.

I asked the boss to come by my desk so I can explain what I'm obviously missing in my instruction. I'm not dumb, obviously, but cannot pull things out of the air - I'm not That intuitive!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 25, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8863084

I am here and just lurking.
Not doing much of anything, sort of tired all the time. Think that anti-depressant is not working!

The dogs were home when I got in and then I picked up Sassy on Sat morning so all back to normal.

Had a couple of hard frosts while I was away so all the flowers are finished. A friend coming tomorrow and we will clean up the front yard. Need to finish digging potatoes and some root veggies too.

This is me with one of my dog friends ( she used to foster here in Calgary) and her dog plus the 3 that belong to our hostess ( another sheltie rescue type!)

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8863238

Welcome back, Carol!
Good pic of you 6! Wow - that's a lot of dog!! Great that you got to meet up with your friend. Why in the world would she want to leave Calgary for TO???? lol just kidding - to each their own, eh?
Sorry you're not feeling up to par yet.- you've been taking these meds for about a month now, right? I remember you saying your Dr "upped" them once. Here's hoping they settle into working for you.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 25, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8863440

Carol .. love the pic .. ^_^

Sharing one of my own now .. another one of my Granddaughter, Brooklyn, in costume at the HAUNTED HOUSE .. I take she and my son are having a wonderful time scaring people !!

Plumber due anytime now, and I haven't been feeling very well for about an hour .. go figger .. just feel 'punk' :-(

TTFN

~M~

This message was edited Oct 25, 2011 5:59 PM

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8863602

Hope you feel better soon, Marilyn

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 25, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8864009

Thanks Susan, I went to bed straight away after hte plumber left .. up now as I still feel ishy .. am sure it will pass ... today and tomorrow are my LAST 2 days of physio .. hallelujah ..
Nice and warm here by the wood stove .. think I may 'nod off' here for a bit ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 26, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8864450

enjoy the wood stove, ~M~. It sounds nice and toasty warm!
Are you doing any crafting while you're resting?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 26, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8864754

LOL .. only crafting I was doing was trying to maybe 'witchcraft myself to sleep LoL .. and it worked for an hour, then I went back to bed and attempted to grab a couple of hours more sleep.

ONE MORE PHYSIO appt left !! The I go on a 'maintenance program'. I'll go once a week or, one every 2 weeks for exercises and heat packs, stretching and assessing. Works for me ..

Went to my 96yr old Aunties for lunch .. gosh .. I had told her NO FUSS .. but .. she had her table set with her good china, finger sandwiches and dainties .. she is such a pistol !!!

Off to make supper

TTFN

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 27, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8865929

As MORK would say ... 'SHALZBAT' .. we've had ANOTHER death in the family .. a cousin who has had Parkinsons for approx 3 years .. the death was unexpected, to us. Apparently 'Lorraine' had been hospitalized on Monday and passed Tuesday .. funeral is tomorrow . She is Gord's first cousin.

One good thing .. I am DONE physio .. YAY !!!!!!

Awesome day .. sunny, can't beat that ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 27, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8865979

"M" condolences, guess we are in the age group that many are passing on, doesn't make it easier does it?
Are you feeling that much better that you don't think you should continue..been a long road to recovery.

Colder than old heck here..brrr time for fireplace on in the evenings..always nice to look at but I so miss my wood stove, nothing like hearing the crackling of a fire ..have been purchasing the candles that has the crackling wick, so enjoyable.

Haven't been up to par of late, hoping tonight I have enough energy to be able to work on halloween costume..they take sooo much work..likely this will be the last year then I'll be gripping that I've no little ones to make costumes for..remind me of that next year won't you! Did get results from the Doctor's office, say my iron is quite high, made appt. for Tuesday afternoon see what he comes up with.

So laughing at your reference to 'crafting' lol

Enjoying your day Susan? you are now on your second week right?

Carole, what a fantastic photo..one to frame for sure..how are you feeling, meds helping at all?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 27, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8866020

Shalzbat, indeed!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 27, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8866024

Yes Betty - 2nd week, and SOME of it becoming crystal clear, while other things are muddy as heck!
I just have to have patience with myself, but it's difficult when Neil's out of the office because of sickness in the family and I can't get in touch with him.
There is a "fire" I need to put out re: a file he uploaded to a website, and it's not visible to a person who needs it...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 27, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8866231

It will take time Susan, best learn a thing a day then try to cram it all in a day.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 27, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8866523

I know, Betty - believe me I Know
I know that everyone here realizes I'm an "intense" person and go overboard on things. I just don't want to make potentially disasterous mistakes that loses a project for the company, and that IS a possibility...
It's the type of work I do - Document Control for a company that sends out bids on tenders. It's a very 'dog eat dog' type of world - not in my part of it, but it's a high stress job for a lot of people, and trying not to get dragged into that, yet help at the same time. It's a "catch 22" kinda thing...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 28, 2011
2:32 AM

Post #8866604

Up early (what else is new) Want to make some sandwiches to take to the 'after do' of the funeral.
Am thinking it's pretty chilly out, the dogs haven't even stirred from the beds they're parked on .. actually a good thing as
Mr (or Ms) Skunk is out in their enclosure having a look around :-(
Sure don't need to be bathng dogs this morning.

Susan .. I guess all you can do with your job is 'think first, then act' .. high stress areas are the worst to work in .. been there .. at the time I loved the fast pace, but YEOWZA did I burn out quickly !!

Off to shelll eggs ...

TGIF

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2011

Post #8866704

Good Mornring, everyrone! I'm thinking I will just give myself TIME.

Just popped in for a sec - cya all L8tr!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 28, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8867348

Evening all, going to be calling it a night..cool outside but clear!

Worked at home today and on the jester costume, slow going with this aching body. I can barely lift my arm so final pieces of costume must wait until tomorrow. Won't be doing much this weekend, last weekend to rest for 5 weeks..nov 4-11 and Dec 3 in buffalo, nov 19 it's Markham craft show 5 buildings of art/craft nov.26th..family crafts and get together..yikes, only a few weeks after that the ho ho comes..shaking my head, not sure how my calendar got so booked up

"m" don't ever remember so many skunks

Susan, surely they can't have given you such high priority jobs after only two weeks that could cause you to err and miss out on a contract..id be terrified!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8867487

I'm not doing the Tenders/Bids, but I do have to file them electronically and then post them on another company website.

Bob & I are dressing up tonight for a Hallowe'en party at our community pub. I'm a vampire, and he's the Grim Reaper
I'll post pics tomorrow.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 29, 2011
3:03 AM

Post #8867701

Hope you enjoyed your evening Susan, nice getting out for a change..hope there are no hangovers. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8867762

ACHOO!! Sniff, sniff snoggle BLEAH !! Trying to think back to where I was 3 days ago (physio, using equipment) think someone 'donated ' a head cold to me .. I am SO pleased .. N O T !!!
I really am not THAT bad .. am thinking all the vitamins I take may stave off a really bad bout with it. Won't be visiting my Hospice client for a bit.

Funeral was gymongous .. a flurry of people .. and too many hymns for my scratchy throat to handle .. Amazing Grace did me in and I hummed ..
Ya know, you hate to say that a funeral was pleasant, but, it was. Re connecting with family and friends that you haven't seen in years is good for the soul. I left the funeral home smiling, thinking my cousin would have been happy for that.

Dreary to the MAX here today .. rainy and cool .. must be PRE winter huh ^_^
Am toying with the idea of taking the dogs 'shopping' .. PetValu has opened a new store .. HUGE .. and Piper needs a new collar AND, my best friend has talked me into getting him a seat belt .. he has ZERO car manners .. and I am quite nervous about him 'doing his SUPERMAN' imitation one day when I open the SUV door .. as in .. he jumps out at a great speed !!!! Jo says the seat belts are very efffective, and, kind ..
Carol .. have you had anything to do with them ?

Think I'll make myself another lemon tea ..

Hope everyone has a great weekend

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8867951

Marilyn yes I used a harness on Bailey years ago but abandoned it once he and others learned car manners. You might also consider putting the dogs in crates in the car. The dog is really safer in crate or with a harness since if you have to slam on the brakes the dog if not secured becomes a projectile.In my Saturn I used to have a mesh across the back of the front seats as a barrier but it did not go up to the ceiling so there was still that gap big enough for a small body!

My dogs learnt a WAIT command early on and they never jump out of the car until they are told. I always also have leashes on them in the car so when they do jump out the leash is already in my hand.

. If I have a foster who needs crating the leash is on and outside the crate so it is in my hand before I open the crate door. Also sometimes I have a belt on and the leash is put on the belt so m y hands are free before I open the crate door.

I almost killed a dog once at off leash parking lot when a lady opened her car door and her border collie jumped out and raced across the lot in front of me! I was a park volunteer at the time and when I saw her later in the park I had a good chat with her about teaching dogs to wait when you open the car door.My first words to her were do you realize I almost killed your dog? I think she got the idea!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8868008

my goodness Carol - to think how close she came to letting her dog get killed! Yes, the WAIT command is a good one that (not being a dog owner) I wouldn't think of, but I would think dog owners should think about, and USE!

Betty - only had one beer myself, and Bob had to drink his with a straw, due to his facial costume lol
I'll post pics now - here's Bob - at a cuddly 6'3" he really looks the part lol

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8868012

A friend of ours, Doug, said "you really clean up good!" lol silly man!
This b me!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8868014

Here's our friend Doug - his pants match his vest - have a full pic of him later on

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8868015

Party goers

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8868019

Doncha just love this little werewolf?!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8868021

Coooooo-kie Monster!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8868022

Witchy momma is holding piglet - so cute!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8868024

Here's piglet again

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8868026

Judging contest - Doug is one of the 4 contestants

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8868028

I guess Zorro is one of the contestants - couldn't hear over the roar of the crowd!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8868029

And the clown wins!! by a landslide!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8868035

Beautiful butterfly! Guess she'd get her "wings clipped" to get home - can't fly in this weather, can't drive, and can't put a coat over them lol

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8868036

and that's the end - we had a wonderful time looking at all the people and enjoying time with our friends :-)
We never get any Hallowe'en visitors on Hallowe'en (most we've gotten is 3, so not worth the effort or expense...)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8868132

Great pics Susan .. you and Bob had awesome costumes ...
Long as a good time was had by all .. that's what it's all about ^_^

Well .. the 'WAIT' command, or, in our case STAY PIPER .. works only if one of us is FILLING the car door .. as in blocking an exit from the car ..
Lilly won't move, but Piper will attempt it ,, I bought the type of seat belt that is more or less a 'line' run between one side of the car to the other hitched onto the seat belts .. the fellow was quite confident it'd work .. we'll see ..

Feel not too bad .. so am keeping my fingers crossed that this cold is just a 'touch'.

Off to walk the pooches before it rains ( or 'S' word)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8868147

please don't mention the "s" word, k Marilynne?
lol on Piper not STAYing unless someone blocks the way lol :-) Hope the line works!
btw - ever since I got this new-to-me puter I can no longer do the happy faces - dunno why?!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 29, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8868194

Kyle came and we worked on closing in the back deck, got 3/4 done and he had to go to work for a few hours, Greg said they would drop in and finish the 3rd side on their way home...could see that the wind was up so dressed as though there was. Blizzard going on, even gloves but found it wasn't as cold as I had thought..sure glad that will be behind me..only furniture left to store are the front deck and bedroom deck table/chairs sets, 2 linoleum floorcloths I painted which I'll put away after Halloween night and that does it, I can then sing 'let it snow/let it snow'

Susan, odd indeed, you wouldn't think the system would be different. sorry about mixing your friend Bob up with Doug..fun had by all by the looks of it..

" M" did you and the puppies get out for your ride? How's Lorna doing, bet not looking forward to winter..

Carol, how are you doing today, getting caught up after your trip?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8868246

Betty I am having a nice lazy weekend- no commitments!

Got the pots emptied and cleared off the back patio, need to bring the pots around from the front steps
Still some plants to clip off , maybe tomorrow!

Dug all the potatoes yesterday, still some veggies out there- too lazy to dig them!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8868467

I dug my few potatoes up about 1 month ago. Just babies mostly. Our neighbour gave us a 1/2 bushel of farm potatoes - much fresher than those you usually get from the stores.
Except that I saw in a HGTV show that Lynn Crawford (show - Pitching In) came to an Alberta farm to get the best potatoes. NE of Calgary, and I can't remember the name of the area - began with "S".

well, time to make supper - cya L8tr!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 31, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8870121

Our potatoes have been dug for a bit .. now we face the age old task of STORING them .. as we live in a corefloor (one level) home, there is NO basement .. so its a challenge .. however, this year Gordon did NOT go overboard with growing too many of them .. in years past he would grow 4 kinds, now we're down to 2.
We have stored them at a friends .. but .. it's more than a bit inconvenient.

Am so happy I don't live on the East coast right now .. SNOW and lots of it !! Have seen pics of the poor trees .. of course so many without power as well .. perhaps this El Nino chatter is correct? Our snowblower is all set to go should the need arise .. I'm going to have to be very careful with the shoveling this year !!

Have decided to make a 'from scratch' lasagna .. so heading into town for 'the stuff' .. have no idea which day I'll do this .. but this week sometime.

Have a safe a 'BOO'TIFUL Hallowe'en ^_^

~M~

This message was edited Oct 31, 2011 8:51 AM

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 31, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8871030

Happy Halloween everyone..

So far I've only had about 36 normally just under 100...glad I bought pop as one can always use it. The chocolate bars on themother hand are addictive. Lol
Found the kids to be extra courteous and almost all wearing imaginative costumes designed from materials found in the home..nice to see...got to wonder why there are fewer kids out, weather wise it's perfect.

"m" time for me to make spaghetti sauce, always make enough and freeze sauce so I can use for lasagna..

Oops here comes 6 or 7

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 2, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8873195

Morning, yikes almost afternoon..

Sunny but cold..brrr even have micro heater on..might just be me though
Had doctor's appt. yesterday afternoon and he talked me into flu shot at same time, don't normally get one because the years I have I was sick that entire winter..let's hope this new type of needle is all it's cracked up to be.

Sitting here watching mall staff take down Halloween and put up Christmas decorations..going to be a long 2 months it being up already, am hoping the the christmas Carols won't come until December lol

Just finished the last of the clipping for mom's rag quilt, now comes the sewing...don't you think I should bring in my sewing machine??? think that's puching the ok to do crafts a bit too far lol..now if Paul was away for the week just might do.

Carol, is relaxing helping you any? Finish bringing in the veggies, don't they say some veggies are better tasting after a freeze?

"M" you made lasagna sound so yummy that I got a hankering for tomato maccaroni..mega hamburger in it and mashed potatoes..made enough to last all week..one good thing, supper is ready for me tonight.

Seeing Christmas unfold here at the mall, and having pretty well all my Christmas shopping done I'm looking at what gifts I'm making and panicking..sooo will make up a schedule of what needs to be done when so I don't think I'm on easy street and let things slide by.

This weekend I'm off to Buffalo with friend Darlene and maybe Ann will join me,her SIL was burried yesterday so not sure she will come..guess I can pick up a few more pressies..it's coming you know!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8874328

Betty, watching 'Xmas Arrive' in a Mall has got to be kind of exciting, but, stressy at the same time.
For your sake, and the sake of all the mall workers, i haope they hold off on the Xmas music until December !!

The lasagna was good, don't make it that often, so, it's a treat .. get to have it again tonight as well ^_^

Off to the clinic for bloodwork for Lorna this morning, then a quick trip to the border to pick up a parcel ..
I actually got a few gifts purchased for Xmas the other day .. amd valliantly trying to have it ALL done by the end of November, as my volunteering schedule for December is getting chuck full !!!

Brrrrrrrr cool one out there this morning .. not sure of the temp but am wagering a guess at perhaps 1 or 2C
DARK out!! Wait til the time change this weekend !!!

Best get movin

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 3, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8874803

No Christmas music in the mall but Suzanne (SIL) here in the office has Christmas Carols playing..am hoping it's a novelty otherwise it's going to be a long 2 months..

I had it easy this year, 2 wanted snowmobile passes (yikes when I first bought them it was $35 a year, now $200 if before Dec. 1st..) sure glad I have them..then 3 the new Sony e-reader, Jeff already downloaded 1,500 books on them so ready to wrap..mom wanted rag quilt..by tonight it will be finished it..now working on 3 (12 Months of Christmas) quilts and am hoping to have them done by end of November, that leaves 1 stained glass lamp to do/shoes and guitar strings to pick up..few outfits for them all and I'm done..oops forgot Noah, he doesn't know what he wants, so going to give him a dealine or miss the boat..want it all done and wrapped and under the tree..beat my last year's record...sure makes life easier when Dec. comes and you can virtually enjoy the festivities.

Goint to buffalo this weekend, next weekend and again 1st weekend of Dec, then Markham Fairgrounds Craft show Nov 19th and stopping into Ganz..so between all of it I should be done..hurrah!!

Was raining here this morning, although I'm in the mall it's cool..have micro furnace on..no wonder I'm coming down with a cold, heat up then off, heat up then of...brrrr can't get rid of chill. Sure hope it's not the 'flu' needed I got the other day, warned Dr. that the year I had it, I was sick that entire year off and on..he guaranteed me it wouldn't happen, one day later sniffling???

Lucky You "M" to live so close to the border..I'd be there all the time..lol
my boys think the USA government should give me dual citizenship..guess to get that I'd have to find me a USA man..lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8875734

Sharing this email ...

This is sooooo funny!! It's a group of high school students playing silent monks and "singing" the Hallelujah Chorus.

The person who came up with this is brilliant.

Look at the feet of the monks also!

And yes, you do need to turn the sound on to fully appreciate this. It's a hoot! Plus, who doesn't like to hear it, at any time of year.

http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/Index.html

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 4, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8875825

Omg wonder how long they had to practice to get it so down pat...gave me my mornimg smile..thanks

It's a cold one out there, heavy duty frost, have my suitcase at the door waiting for Suzanne SIL to pick me up, girls going to Buffalo will pick me up from work this afternoon..hoping to be stateside by 6pm.

Because Sailor's back end has been giving her problemsive left instruction for Cathy should she need a vet..know have to do the nasty soon, just hope I'm home when it has to be done.

So now what do you all have planned for the weekend! Weatherman co-operating?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 4, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8875872

Have a great trip to Buffalo Betty .. have fun and I hope you find some great deals !!

Yep .. the border IS close (ish) and hour down and back, but, all that's at the General Store there is the Postal outlet where you pick up parcels .. you can also buy 'nick nacs and bric a brac' there .. some lovely stained glass items .. there's candy and a line of Karhart clothing, and some MAJOR touristy stuff like Tee shirts and caps.
There's also a gas station which folks from TBay frequent. Gas is .97/litre .. only drawback is the distance you must travel. Got kind of a scare yesterday .. usually you check in with the US Customs going over, they ask you the pre requisite questions .. "where are you from, where are you going and why, do you have anything to mail, who owns the car" .. on the way back (the store is like a mile away from the US Customs) .. you pass the US Customs and head for the Canadian side to declare .. well ... as we approached the US border patrol .. we could see flashing lights stopping people on the US side on the way back !! Never done that before .. anyway .. 2 Home Land Security officers chatted us up, wanted to know if we had .." GUNS, liquor, cigarettes OR over $10,000.00 " .. I laughed .. they asked for the windows to be opened, they checked inside then said 'on you go ladies, and, have a nice day' !!
I'll be going back in a week or so for another package .. will have to leave my $10,000.00 at home ^_^

Not sure what is up this weekend, likely more yard stuff .. never ending that ..

Betty, I hope Sailor hangs on, but, if not, you know my thoughts will be with you.

Off for coffee with the gurls this morning .. still feel a bit punky, but, hope to shake it off !!!

TTFN

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 5, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8877484

Sigh .. will miss Andy Rooney's bushy eyebrows . He was asked to 'trim them up' but told the producers of '60 Minutes' that he believed you 'had to work with what you'd been given' .. a wonderful come back !!

At 92, I wish him sweet and peaceful repose

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 5, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8878403

I didn't know that Andy Rooney had passed away - what a wonderful man... He kept such a staunchly solemn face and made people laugh all the time he was making them think seriously about world issues... what a man!

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 2:01 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8878963

Well said Susan .. that's exactly what I think as well ..

Kind of have had an exciting couple of days .. a few weeks ago our Municipality asked its residents to volunteer for Rick Hansens pass through our 'hamlet' .. Lorna thought it'd be a great thing to do .. mind you .. it happens here in JANUARY .. so .. I submitted our names.
Last week someone from the Township office called and asked Lorna is she would carry a torch for 2 blocks!! Welllllllllllllllll ... Lorna thought about it and felt it would be a bit difficult for her .. when I heard about it .. I offered to do it for her .. so, we'll see what happens .. at the best of times January can be a nasty month here .. mind you .. 'things' have changed a lot over the past few years.

Hope Betty has left SOME bargains in the States ...

Is anyone getting snow? None here .. but windy like you wouldn't believe ..

TTFN

~M~

Attaching a pic of my NEW Granddog and my grandson .. my son rescued this poor pup from an abusive home .. WHY oh WHY do people spend money on purchasing a pedigreed dog (or any animal for that matter) and then abuse them ?? His name is Mojo and he's a 9month old Bulldog. He joins 2 Boston Terriers, Molly and Winston ..

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 6, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8879077

I agree about the pet's abusive homes - obviously they are not mature enough to know what they can handle when they take on one of God's creatures - do they expect God to look after it? Not, when humans interfere!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8879571

'M' Verrrrry Sweeeeeet!
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 7, 2011
12:17 AM

Post #8879716

well, I'm up - I was peacefully sleeping when my DH woke me up to say he's got a virus (Trojan) and wants me to fix his system AGAIN...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8879810

Susan - if he's got a virus AGAIN, maybe he should look after getting it fixed on his own. And maybe he should review his surfing habits.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 7, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8880069

Morning everyone, lots of bargains in the States I left for you, best you go get them before the weekend as I go back with 3 heavy duty shoppers, shop until you drop..weather there and at home is spectacular, didn't even have to wear a jacket today.

Must have had wind over the weekend, all the leaves are now in my drive and need to be rid of..will call Kyle tonight and ask him if he wants a job but only if he's not scheduled to work at the arena!

Adorable photo "M" both of the dog and grandson lol

That would be a hard walk for sure in the dead of winter but such a worthy cause..when will they let you know!

ViolaAnn, yep, was going to say same thing..I'd be teaching him Susan how to do his own repairs...

Speaking of repairs, wasn't going to fix my computer downstairs as I now have ipad and new laptop BUT want a system I can let the kids play with so will have to check to see how much the fix-it bill is.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 7, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8880131

Our computer friend, Brent, walked him through fixing it - I know how, but was too tired to think straight after being asleep for 3 hours, then couldn't get back to sleep until 3am.
Bob called me his Angel, cuz he loves me so, and I helped him awwww
He's really a sweetheart, but his forte is not programs - he can put a computer together, but relies on me to fix the programs...
Anyway, it's fixed, and now Bob knows how to do it.

Sweet of you, Betty, to let the kids have your old system - once you fix & empty it of stuff so it runs faster,eh?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 7, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8880332

Computer chatter ^_^ must be THAT time of year ..
Purchased a new desktop tower today, will likely take in the old one for transfers early next week and .. voila .. MERRY XMAS Lorna LoL .. got what I consider a very good deal .. the old desktop tower sounds like WestJet taking off at times!! The fan needs repair, and, on a 10 yeard old system .. well .. rather buy new with a 2yr warranty than throw money at an old one ..
I'm, hopefully, going to be able to set it up with no problems once we get it home. Gord is usually not afraid to hitch stuff up .. in all honestly, most things either fit, or, they don't (into the back)

Betty glad to hear you had a good time , AND< left some bargains ...
I am ALMOST done !!!!! Have to take my Mum's wedding rings into a jeweller for cleaning and have them put on a gold chain .. am giving them to Brooklyn .. it's her 13th Xmas, and she is pretty mature .. time to pass them on. My bff Jo, would like to see me have them mounted in a 'shadow box' along with a pic of my Mom .. only problem is .. I have NO really GOOD pics of my Mom .. she is either 'deer in the headlights' or making a goofy face .. will have to keep looking I guess ..

W I N D here today .. awaiting the storm Wpg had today UGggggggggggg ..

Take care all

~M~

This message was edited Nov 7, 2011 4:49 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 7, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8880387

Glad Susan you got everything up and running again..makes for a happier life..life of technology, isn't it grand?

"M" if it wasn't for work I'd only have ipad..absolutely love it. With having all my work programs on the lap top I'm terrified the kids who know a zillion times more about computers might play and puff there goes my programs so best have a desktop BUT truth be known, I'm more likely to send all my program into lala land.

I think it's a wonderful thing to give the rings, she will absolutely be thrilled and in later years will wear them..who knows might save her future fiance a lot of $$$ lol

Went to lunch at 2:30 and it was nice, an hour out and the wind was up and you could feel temps dropping. Someone said by the weekend we might have a few flurries, you know people, they say such things just to get you going.

Jeff's eldest Braedon turned 14 today, just called him. Said he had no homework, going out for supper and that they day was just 'fun'..

Told him as I did his brother, that their Christmas gift came in 2 parts..1 part Birthday gift and the other for Christmas so no surprise till then..he said he'd be thrilled regardless what he received..they sure know how to work their grandma..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 8, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8881339

Moved us to ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1229203/

~M~

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America