Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: How do you make bread yeast from scratch?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 4, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8834445

Hi all! I am wanting to learn how to make my own white bread yeast starter from scratch - without using yeast in the original starter. So far I've learned that there are different kinds of yeast, including wild yeast. I don't like the tangy taste of sourdough bread, I like white bread and wheat bread, so how do I make a yeast starter for making white or wheat breads? If we can buy dry yeast, how does one make their own dry yeast???? Also, is bread yeast different from brewing yeast?

If there is a thread on starting a yeast colony for white or wheat bread here on DG, could someone please post a link to it. Or if you know a link or book that tells how our ancestors made their own yeast, I'd appreciate that too. ...I've tried finding info on the web and found all kinds of stuff but I'm still not sure I've got the right info for white bread.

THIS warning did catch my attention though!! LOL:
"Never eat raw yeast. It will colonize and grow in your digestive tract." YIKES!!! :-o

Thanks for your help!
Glenda
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8834479

Glenda_Michigan wrote:Hi all! I am wanting to learn how to make my own white bread yeast starter from scratch - without using yeast in the original starter. So far I've learned that there are different kinds of yeast, including wild yeast. I don't like the tangy taste of sourdough bread, I like white bread and wheat bread, so how do I make a yeast starter for making white or wheat breads? If we can buy dry yeast, how does one make their own dry yeast???? Also, is bread yeast different from brewing yeast?

If there is a thread on starting a yeast colony for white or wheat bread here on DG, could someone please post a link to it. Or if you know a link or book that tells how our ancestors made their own yeast, I'd appreciate that too. ...I've tried finding info on the web and found all kinds of stuff but I'm still not sure I've got the right info for white bread.

THIS warning did catch my attention though!! LOL:
"Never eat raw yeast. It will colonize and grow in your digestive tract." YIKES!!! :-o

Thanks for your help!
Glenda

If I understand your question, I think you would need a lot of trial and error to find a wild yeast that does not have an 'off flavor' to you. Of course you might get lucky the first time so, just follow any instructions for wild yeast starter. Optionally, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an online source for multiple baking yeasts with their 'taste' listed - from which you could choose something mild. Also, there are more than a half-dozen dry yeasts for sale at Amazon. Saf-yeast from France, a german one, etc.
hedandan
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8853261

Once in early Spring...just out of couriosity...I put some flour and water (we have well water) into a bowl and covered it with fine mesh screening and placed it atop my refrigerator. The weather was warm and the screened kitchen door was allowed to stand open. The refrigerator stood right near the open door, and there was a big old maple tree, just outside starting to leaf out, anyway, in a about a day and a half, to my surprise that bowl of water and flour was bubbling and I had wild yeast.

Just google "Capturing Wild Yeast " and you will find a lot of places to look Two of which are:

http://www.wisebread.com/my-kitchen-could-be-a-yeast-farm
http://threefoothat.hubpages.com/hub/Capturing-wild-yeast
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8853296

Yeasts often live on the exterior of fruits and grains. They do on the skin of grapes and on wheat. It's quite likely some yeasts folks think are wild, are already in the flour waiting for the right conditions. It may depend on how the flour is processed.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8885526

hedandan and 1LT, thanks for the info! I will give it a try! :) ...Wild yeast...I had never heard of such a thing before this past October. I learn something new every day! ;)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America