-
AuthorContent
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 3, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8834761

Just wondering...my hostas are looking pretty ratty now...can I cut all the leaves off so I have less mess in the spring, or do I need to leave all leaves attached till spring clean-up?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8834782

Anna -- I think it's a personal preference. I leave mine -- so i can find them in the Spring.
I know many peeps who cut theirs to keep the yard looking cleaner.

Hope your kitty and your Ipad are doing well.

Charlie is at home - hanging with this buddy Lucky.

Terese
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 3, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8834786

Well, I KNOW where mine are, and they are going to need to be divided in the spring...bad. LOL So, perhaps I will cut them all off. Thanks.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8834864

Our oak trees don't lose their leaves for another 4 to 6 weeks, so I wait to clean the garden. By then, most of the hosta leaves have dried and just get raked up with everything else.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 3, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8834875

No trees, we had to cut the 2 big ones down before they fell on the house. No more shade for the hostas. Well, in fact, part of one DID fall on the house...a piece of branch went through the roof and knocked the plaster off the ceiling a mere inches from where my head would have been had i been on the elliptical. Scary...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8835819

Anna - if you cut them off, get yourself some Clorox wipes and clean your tools between every plant to avoid spreading any possible problem (some of which can be in the plants but not show symptoms).

I don't usually cut mine back but since I had some foliar nematodes this year, I have cut mine all back this year as a very good garden clean-up is one of the best things I could do to control the spread of the nems.

Ann
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 4, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8835826

Thanks, Ann. I don't have wipes, but can make my own with paper towel and liquid Clorox.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2011
2:30 AM

Post #8836637

Anna - if you make your own you may wish to make a solution of maybe 1 part Clorox, 5 parts water and a bit of dish detergent.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8840829

I sometimes cut back the really ratty looking ones when they go dormant. 'Sagae' is an example of a hosta that doesn't go gracefully at the end of the season. Instead of turning pretty golden colors like some do, it just droops and looks like it's dying. So...those I tend to cut back when I know they're done. Otherwise, I like the autumn colors. 'Strip Tease' looks particularly pretty right now.

Ann, I like your idea of the Clorox wipes. I sometimes get lazy about sanitation simply because I've never had any problems (fingers crossed.) I need to keep reminding myself to stay on top of things, because after my hostas are diseased it'll be too late.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America