Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: 2nd Annual FALL Houseplants/Tropicals Swap, Reveal #3

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 131, Views: 710
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8834848

Our Guidelines below are the same as they have been in the past...

We're sharing a minimum of 3 healthy houseplants and/or tropicals whose value is $20 excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. Feel free to divide plants you already have or start propagating new ones from cuttings. If your budget permits, you're also welcome to include other gardening items such as gloves, water globes, plant markers, Fall bulbs for Spring or Summer blooms, etc.

September 30th was our deadline to mail and have heard from several of you getting your plants together and are mailing as soon as you can.

Please DO NOT post Delivery Confirmation Numbers directly on our threads...doing so is an invasion of privacy. Instead, keep your receipt handy, or D-mail me the number you used so I can let your Secret Buddy know their box of plants is on the way.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1220937/

And our Wish Lists are here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197083/

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8834851

Reserved for Participants...

candles4u / Crystal -- > Rec'd from goldhillal
careyana / Carey
catzgalore / Stephanie
chellflower / Chell -- > Rec'd from rvnsbrk
dispatcher1 / Lou
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- > Rec'd from roxxanne
GardenQuilts / Lori Lynn -- > Rec'd from careyana (waiting for post)
goldhillal / Crystal -- > Rec'd from ilovejesus99
happgarden / Joyce
ilovejesusus99 / Sandy -- > Rec'd from chellflower
joeswife / Debra -- > Rec'd from FruitOfTheVine
jsxtiger / Jax -- > Rec'd from dispatcher1
rouxcrew / Joy -- > Rec'd from joeswife
roxxanne / Rox -- > Rec'd from happgarden
rvnsbrk / Neener -- > Rec'd from candles4u
tikipod / Angie -- > Rec'd from rouxcrew
Tina_A / Tina

Staying to chat but aren't exchanging plants this round:
AmandaEsq / Amanda
Carolyn22 / Carolyn
Cville_Gardener / Carole
janaestone/ Di
Mud_Elf / Kris
plantsforpeg / Peggy

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 9:45 AM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8834888

Pic is a fresh bloom of the Double Impatiens you gave me at our RU, Manda. It is loverly and really hope I can keep it going over Winter.

Would everyone please check the list and let me know if I've missed anyone who's received? Thanks a bunch!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8835034

Thanks Sooz - can you believe my plant is still alive but hasn't bloomed once all summer? It set buds in the last couple of weeks, but for the life of me I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I think it needs more light!!!

What kind of pot are you using? Mine's in plastic and MG potting mix in there. Thought if I potted it up with the good stuff it would go gang busters all summer. H ah ahhahhaa aaaaaaaaaa. ahem.

Glad for you - it is a lovely, lovely plant. :)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8835040

Oh Fruity that is a lovely one! Pretty blooms!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8835109

I love impatiens...

I can't remember the thread about the ammonia, but I do know it is really cheap at DG ( dollar general) I dilute mine and buy the refill for a dollar.
I even add it to the ken's mix in my sprayer. I love watching the catipiilars raise up when they get hit, then I can see them better, and love watching the little white flys drop LOL. Last winter, I sprayed the plants affected by those white mealy bugs, sprayed them with windex and wayched them turn brown and dry up.
When I saw it was not hurting ANY of the plants, I started adding it to my soil drench. Neighbors prolly think me nutz, out there spraying the air with windex.
LOL
lovely two batches of tropical plants, Sandy and Ang... Nice!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8835187

That's it Debra, you've convinced me that I need to try the windex for sure. Does it work on the fungus gnats too? That would make me ever so happy!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8835195

I think it does here.. not too many gnats flying around inside right now.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2011
1:28 AM

Post #8835270

Deb - I can just picture you spraying the air with your windex and saying 'take that!'. Love it.!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 4, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8835326

I received my package on Sept 26 and posted about it here. Then Sandy wondered here if I had gotten it, and I reposted the arrival of it. Did not send a picture though. I must not be using the correct procedure as this same thing happened in the spring. I will email Fruity and Sandy ; maybe that is the problem. sorry
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8835417

Sandy, I'm so glad you liked your box. I had other plants on my list to send as well, but the heat has been merciless on the gardens this year.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8835547

It's my fault for missing the post, Crystal. No problem.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 4, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8835585

OK, here is what Roxanne sent:
Alocasia Amazonica - huge
Thalia dealbata
Thalia geniculata
Grafted lutea
Cana tama tulipa
Cana panache
Dwarf banana
Dbl tuberrose
Clero. ungandense
Black taro
Amorpho
Hymenocallis narcissiflora
Agapanthus
Passiflora
couple of candles
and two packs of mosquito inhibitor.

Thank you again Roxanne, you did great!! As many flowers as I have, those I did not, except the Clerod. and it is one of my favs! Thank you Thankyou!! I love it all.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8835596

Ang, it is an apple mint that I double tagged. It was going to be a strawberry begonia but Jammin raced in and snatched it out of the box. Trust me, it was Border Collie tested but not Border Collie approved. Sorry for the confusion. The apple mint is just as invasive as others, it just smells lovely and since I was weeding some out of a container, I thought you might like it.
I am sorry that I didn't have names for all the succulents I sent, when I inherited some from Mom, the names she gave me weren't even close. But they have been happy for a few years at my house and have birthed all kinds of pups, so time to share. I love the aloe, It is quite beautiful and flowers every year for me then sends up tons of pups. Same with my dendrobium that I sent you. I divided it earlier this summer when it was looking a bit peaked and every division has all these cool offshoots now. The little phalaneopsis is a young one off an orchid I bought 5 years ago. It is my first baby, and I hope it does well for you.
BTW, one of the little hens and chicks I sent might actually be Sempervivium arachnoideum Cobweb, which is a neat little succulent that "grows" cobwebs on its tops. I divided a group of them and seem to be short, although being blonde makes me counting challenged.
Glad you liked my choices,

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8835775

Wow! Those boxes all sound great! I'd love to see that semper, Joy!
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8835837

Dear Swap Partner,
I have not forgotten about you, and had every intention on getting your box out already. The plant that I have been waiting on is in, I have to go pick it up. I had a simple bug bite that turned into a major infection in my arm, I am still dealing with that. I promise though, your box will be coming very soon. Tina
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8835933

Joy it's funny that you added semps, specifically THOSE semps. My son had a bowl of hens & chicks that went missing and two were from the Spring swap. (We've had a lot of plant related thefts and some non-plant related thefts.) I've been shopping around for Hens & Chicks and Aeoniums, specifically the cobweb looking semp!

I love that gasteraloe! I was happy to see it has pups growing too. They are in quarantine since I'm still treating the other plants as a precaution.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8836178

Wow, those are great plants, Paula. Rox, you always do a great job. Well heck, everybody does except I sorta feel like I shortchanged you and / or sent duplicates, Debra.

No problem at all, Tina, thanks for letting your Buddy know what's going on and am sure she understands. Take care of your arm. Could you have possibly been bitten by a spider?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8836278

Tina you just take of yourself! I'm sure your buddy will understand. We're not all able to be perfect all the time. :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8836305

LOL...having a perfect day ain't gonna happen here. I've got to share this with ya'll. I mailed a package yesterday, found a couple of extra plants to add to the box that are right up her alley, and realized after I got back home from the PO the seeds I'd promised were still in a little baggie on the side of my desk and another plant she wanted was still in the dirt. Didn't realize that til today when I mailed another box. I tell you what, some days I just can't win. Anybody ever go in a room, stand there with a blank stare with your mind a whirl, and kick your butt because you can't remember what the heck you're there for?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8836344

Uh, all the time! I'll get a glass of water, put it down, leave the room for a few seconds for something I forgot...and then forget where I put my water. :/
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8836369

YES! ALLLLL the time! I notice it happens mostly when I walk into my Dad's room. His door frame is a memory zapper I tell you!!

My memory sucks though. I jumble information all the time.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8836466

lovely assortment you got there, Paula, I bet you are going to have a ball! New house new plants and all.
Frity, My DH is very anxious to see my NEW Begonias come alive for me.. He likes the leaves on the ones you sent, they are different from what I have. I love them all. you did good, girlfriend.

I know what you mean about going into the middle of a room and your mind going blank, it happens to me all the time here, on Sunday for some reason.

Prolly cuz I can't remember what the heck I am supposed to do on a day home from work.
This is my "adopted" neighbor cat. I used to get mad cuz she would climb the fence to get in the yard, but now that I know I have mice, I call her on over..
Here Mia, I call.. she took the mouse that my DH proudly wrote on a note that he caught, right out of the trap. He was like, wait, where did it go? I know she got it out of there.. cheese and all. LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8836476

Hmm - Suze - Court mocks me occasionally by standing in the kitchen and spinning in circles. :D

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8836694

I get the whole 'can't remember what I am doing thing'. It is frustrating and I hope it doesn't get any worse - as for the glass of water, I too do that. The problem is when I put down a glass of water, my male cat thinks it is for him, so I have to get a new one. My dishwasher overflows with all my glasses ^_^
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8836773

Morning everyone. I have always been forgetful and lost keys, or anything I have had in my hand. I wish I had all the time back I have spent looking for something I just had, like the sprinkler right now...rofl.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8837098

I know I've told this story before. One morning when I was working a full time regular job where I had to wear real clothes, Ispent 15 minutes looking all over for my slip. Had it on the whole time. Duh...
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8837138

Carolyn my cat Delilah does that with coffee. I can't tell you how often I've found her with her face in my coffee cup. My best friend's cat does that with green tea.
Also you can't have cheetos in this house because eventually you'll notice her face is strangely orange and she'll look at you like "what?"
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

October 5, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8837150

Sorry I've been gone so long! I ended up with contact pneumonia from an inhaled chemical! Talk about ouch! Then willow had her puppies, 11 of them so I've been sick and taking care of kids and puppies, and we are in the middle of remodeling!
Neener, I hope you like what I sent! The dwarf variegated alocasia are my pride a joy! Those are babies from my plant! Sorry I forgot my name in the box I was starting to feel sick that day.
Jewel of opar, I want, I want I want! Omg so gorgeous! My Hero bought me a huge ficus benjamina its so pretty! I love it! Anyone know anything about thjem?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8837231

rofl laughing about the slip...rofl. Sounds like something I would do.

candles, you have been thru the wringer girl. Heavens! Well hopefully you are better the puppies are bigger (not sure that is good..rofl) and you will be back on track soon.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8837474

All is good Crystal. Sorry you were sick. What kind of puppies did you have? Everyone knows I am a sucker for puppy pictures. Please share. :))
All the plants are doing very well. You really outdid yourself. Many thanks!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8837513

Oh Chris - hope you are feeling better soon. I know first hand that pnuemonia is bad enough, can't imagine getting it from inhaling chemicals.

Ang - do you have a picture of your cat with orange on his face ? I would love to see ...
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8837549

I don't think so but if I buy some cheetos I'll snap you a picture. She will risk life and limb for a cheeto.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8837732

aww Crystal, please take care of you, and the puppies..

will cut the jewel of opar seed pods off this weekend, but it is blooming again, cute lil flowers.. I would love to send some root balls out, if they would grow, I have no clue..
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8837759

Tina take care of your arm that is awful. candles4u I am so sorry to here you have been so sick...Both of you take care of yourselves.

goldhillal I saw your second post saying you got your box and also answered your questions on the last thread. Hope this helps.

candles4u I have jewel of opar if you want to trade or pay postage. I would love a baby variegated alocasia. If you have one. :)
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8837991

Here's a pic of my box all potted up. Thanks Joyce I love it all!!

Thumbnail by roxxanne

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8838176

Carey, I was looking at my semp Cobweb and I don't have any webs on it now that I have divided and repotted but there are several cool pics on DG that show the webs. It is a neat little semp.

Joy
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8838190

No worries A. I haven't been using my trade-tracker either and I know there is stuff I need to send or people I need to send postage to. I usually try to keep the boxes with the postage stamp on them so I can do that. DH in trying to help me get ready for a party threw out all the old boxes I had. lol I completely understand about what you said...been there, done that, am there again!

Also about going to a room and not remembering what I am there for! UGH!

Debra, I don't remember seeing a pic of the Jewel of Opar (is that right?) but sounds like something everyone is raving over.

I absolutely swear by the Windex (or cheap dollar store brands) with amonia. The amonia is good for the plant so there are no worries about hurting anything. Yes, it works on fungus gnats. I've tried the cinnamon and still had them, but the windex zaps them.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8838469

rox, Looks like the banana is already putting up a leaf, glad to see that. Since I had to cut it naked...poor thing.

We have had perfect weather and I haven't done a darn thing except help DH...I have a ton I am going to have to overwinter again, ...yes I said again. No bulbs will be overwintered tho cause the mice ate all of them last year. Taught me well.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8838672

I'm going to be moving a bunch of my tropicals (orchids, begonias, etc.) to the front porch this weekend. We finally have humidity over 30%!!! I put my dragon wing out the other day, and it looks 10X better than it had. Blooms popping up all over. I can just imagine how the orchids will like it!

I have a small shelf unit that I'm going to use to 'greenhouse' all my tropicals. Hopefully I'll have enough room! :/

Joy, I took a look at the DG pictures - that is one nifty semp! I hardly ever look at them, and I'm really not sure why. I know nothing would eat those buggers outside!

Which reminds me...I went out to water yesterday afternoon, and something had literally bit my pudica plumeria in half (it's still fairly young). It was in a pot on the table on the back porch. The only thing I could figure was tree rats. >:(

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8838676

going back up the road apiece..."ditto" to what tina said about being late!!! i apologize to me buddy in advance. I still have not caught up to the train wreck that weather has taken me on! so sorry!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8838712

Take care of yourself, Crystal, and am so glad you felt like checking in. Nothing in the World like puppy breath :)

Your plants look awesome, Rox. I'm not ready to cut my EE's back but night time temps before long will at least force me to bring them in. I'm anxious to try my nifty light stand this year, hoping to keep a lot of plants alive than the boatload that went South last year. Thanks ya'll for the tip about using Windex with ammonia. I'm now armed with a huge refill size bottle, cheap grocery store brand...lol

It's OK Jax and anybody else running a tad late. Just do what you can when you can. Maybe the last few boxes can be in the wind next week? If anybody needs longer than that, shoot me a D-mail so I can let your Buddy know. Really do think we're rocking along nicely though.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8838982

Just a warning to my buddy - I will be out of town Wed-Sun next week. I'm not sure if our house-sitter would know what to do with the box and I'd hate to impose!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8839346

Crystal - I have been growing ficus for years. They like bright light and relatively high humidity. They don't like temperature swings and they can be prone to spider mites and/or scale. Sorry. ;)

I haven't had a problem with mine for years. They can become quite large and are beautiful to behold. If doesn't like a lot of water. Every now and then it may drop some leaves though it looks healthy. It's trying to tell you something.

Good luck with it!

Have a nice weekend everybody.

A.

Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8840355

Thank you everyone for the warm thoughts. I thought I had a handle on the bite, but, it got much worse and I have been in the hospital since Wednesday. I do get to go home tomorrow with a picc line and 2 more weeks of IV antibiotics, but I will be at home. My mom is coming from North Dakota to help. Tina
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8840560

editted to say ooops! I posted to the wrong forum, wondered where that post went but my internet was down Friday, then up and down today and finally came back up.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2011 12:26 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8840575

Back up, will post pic going to friends house
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8840598

Glad you are doing better Tina. I must of missed the post of your bite.

I picked up a box in the garage Thursday and got stung by a dead scorpion that was stuck to the bottom of the box. I'm usually soooooooooooo careful about that kind of stuff and wear gloves. It really hurt. The internet said to put ice on for 10 min then off 10 min, so I did that. I use meat tenderizer on wasp or bee stings to break down the poison so tried that on the sting and it did help to make the hurt go away. Was sore for several hours. I got a headach and was sick to my stomach during the night and the next day, but don't think it came from the sting. Our scorpions aren't poisioness here, just hurt a lot. We have our house and outside sprayed every 3 months. I've had them get into the pool and drown. Usually when I find one they are dead or dying due to the spraying.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8840647

good morning everyone, I have been working and suffering from a stoopid migraine, but wanted to let you all know I have deseeded the jewels of opar and will send them out with other back yard seeds to those who want them. Please let me know. ( who wants what)
Need homes for: young datura lilac defleur, young castor bean plants, impatiens and striped spider airplane plants. if they don't go somewhere else, they are being composted. Thanks, Debra
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8840762

Sorry for the migraine Debra. Must be that storm west of us. I've been fighting one since Thursday.

I would love starts of the datura, impatiens and airplane plants. Thanks!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8840938

I would love some Jewels of Opar

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8841099

okay Ang and Pattie, got ya covered.. will get them out this monday. ;D YAY! no babys to die, well a few not going to die I will put it that way. TOO MANY PLANTS OUTSIDE
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8841131

Thank you Debra ^_^ Feel free to send some spider plants my way too. I only have one left and she could use some company.

I had texted my mom asking if she could send me some cuttings the next time she trims her passiflora. I got a text a week later and was told a package was in my mail. I didn't receive the cuttings, instead she ordered me 4 starter plants from Logees. Needless to say I was shocked and very very happy!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8841166

my pleasure!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8841178

Debra can you tell me how to root a Passiflora cutting? One of the plants I received has a 3 ft long vine I'd like to cut back just a tad.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8841370

Debra, would you please save a young datura lilac defleur for me and Jewel of Opar seeds. I'll pay ya back.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8841451

Fruity, of course!
Ang, I have rooted vines two ways, one is in running water ( the water fountain tub thing) and in vermiculite in a cup. I have three vines in water already, and wil be doing the vermiculite later this month when I trim the arbor.
from fruity.. red kikyo

Thumbnail by joeswife

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8841524

Very pretty flower! What is it?

Thank you for the advice. :)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8841937

the above photo is a morning glory, from miss FOTV. I am going to spend the whole daqy messing with plants. It is light rain mist type. We got an inch and a qtr over night.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8842005

Gotta have one of those MG's Debra :0-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8842037

if it sets seeds, neener, u got it. :0 )
U ALSO HAVE TO HELP ME REMEMBER WHAT YOU DON'T WANT! lol
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8842424

Thanks for the Dat, Debra :) What a pretty MG bloom, love seeing blooms from seeds I've shared and am tickled it grew well for you. Yesterday it looked like a line of showers covered the entire Midwest and sounds like you guys finally got a pretty good soaker. Bout darn time.

I spent the entire day repotting and consolidating like-minded houseplants which means less pots but heavier ones to schlep in. Got well over half trucked upstairs and am pooped. Hoping to finish this week while hubby is hunting and before my SIL is here for a visit this week-end. The back porch is a wreck with stacks of pots sitting on a dirty floor.

Any of you preparing to mail, don't forgot tomorrow is Columbus Day with no mail service, at least not here.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8842547

No Mail here either, but at work the pre sort still picks up, so may have some things go ahead and go out. Ang, I do not know if I have your address. If you have the time can you email it to me? oh wait, you are in address exchange, right?

Thumbnail by joeswife

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8842573

Yep, I'm in the exchange. Starting tomorrow I won't be participating in this thread. I'll be without a subscription for a week but will be renewed after that.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2011 5:18 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8842812

Many times I've received an email that says UPS or FedEx are supposed to deliver a package, but it ends up being delivered by USPS. I've never taken the time to ask our postmaster how that works, but I do know both trucks drop off packages around lunchtime at our PO.

Ang, stick with us and we'll see you after your subscription is up to snuff.

It's past my bedtime. The two Tylenol Arthritis pills I took after lugging in have finally kicked in. Don't have to take them often but today was one of those days to ease my back and will see everybody tomorrow.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8842852

Froot - maybe next year you can do a little at a time. :P

Yer makin' me feel old with all this talk about Arthritis pills. Mainly because my hip has been bothering me and I probably need to find something like Tylenol Arthritis pills to ease the pain.

-sigh-

Loveya.
A.
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

October 10, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8842953

Thanks for the well wishes, we have english mastiffs, 11 puppies, my website is darkneitesmastiffs.weebly.com there is tons of pictures there. I'm all for a trade so I can have some jewel of opar, but I'm not good at seed starting. Feeling tons better, but not my normal self, boo hiss!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8843023

Chris - they are adorable! I just love them. We always had Great Danes and apparently the Mastiff is where the GD started from. I just love puppies!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8843192

I use to have a Great Dane and my neighbor had a Mastif. Great dogs. Now I have little dogs. Rat Terriers. Had Doberman's for years and did some breeding. They were registered. Loved my Dobies!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8843234

We had Great Danes for years and years. Now I have DH - LOL.

Several years ago, DH said to me out out of frustration 'what would you do if I wasn't here?'. Without missing a beat, I responded 'I would have more pets!' That, did not go over well... oh well, if the truth hurts... ^^_^^
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8843261

Thank you! Thank you to whoever renewed my subscription. I will pay it forward!

I wanted to ask you guys something. I am going to cut open those little "kins" on the pumpkins on a stick and dry the seeds. If they pass the germination test would anyone be interested in some? They are getting a tad bit squishy.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8843297

Ang, I would love some of those pumpkin on a stick seeds, if you can get them to germinate. How fun! Called in sick today, I had a bad headache again when I woke up at 6 thirty, it has subsided a bit now, but still staying home. I deserve a break. WON'T MAKE IT TO GET THINGS MAILED OUT TODAY, BUT WILL CONTINUE to work on getting stuff ready off and on between rest periods for my head. I tried to lift a pot of my Jasmine sambuc yester day, and failed. Now my back hurts all over again, Joe brought in the pot of jasmine, took it downstairs. He asked me if it was going to STAY there.. LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8843301

Ang - I would be interested in seeds for the pumpkins on a stick. They are just too cute.

Debra - I am wishing I had called in... I thought about it at the time and didn't do it. Today is gorgeous - I should be out in the yard!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8843302

Is it nice there? It is all cloudy and rainey here. A good time to pulll stuff up tho.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8843351

It must be a full moon, the emps are crazy, the bosses are not happy, geez! Glad I am not a surgeon cause I am sure the patient would not of made it.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...doing the yoga chant to get me back in my calm bubble before someone ticks me off, and I do something awful like disconnect their computer...rofl...

Hope everyone is feeling better. Amanda is it possible to do a little bit at a time...rofl.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8843366

Deb - it is gorgeous here. The colors are changing, it is sunny and we are supposed to top 80 degrees here. Come on over and we will sit on my deck with some cocktails. You are all welcome. It would be so much fun!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8843636

Hmmm - it's HARD to do a little at a time, but some days when I don't know where to start, one of my old motivational jump starts is "one inch at a time."

When the house is a wreck I take that to heart.

Hope you all have a great day. I'm battening down the hatches for more rain tomorrow.

A.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8843645

Talking along those lines, I saw a program where they were trying to talk their kids into cleaning their room, and told them they would set a timer for 15 minutes, if they would just work hard on their room for 15 minutes then they could stop. Funny thing the kids got a ton done in 15 minutes, and could see such a change, that they just kept working. Sometimes now I have to motivate myself that way when I am feeling like I just don't want to do anything or it is doing something I don't like and sometimes I will set the timer and stop after 15 minutes but at least I got something done.

No sunshine today, but hopefully I had rain at home. Problem here is we don't just get rain and then it clear off, it usually rolls in and stays cloudy for days before it rolls out again, doesn't mean it is going to rain, it is just cloudy. In the winter it will roll in like that and stay for the longest time.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8843732

I went beach combing and found a few large, unoccupied barnacle shells to put some succulents in. Thinking of a display idea.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8843762

Good evening Mrs. Fruity. Your mission Susan, should you decide to accept it, will be attempting the impossible. As always, should you kill the subject, we at DG will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck, Fruity.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/564038/
Hopefully this link will NOT self-destruct in 30 seconds...rofl.

Have you seen this tree? Too Cool! I had a standard going for a couple of years until those stupid mealy bugs got it.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 10, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8843779

Hello all...been out of town since Friday with no internet access. My husband finally agreed to get a wireless card for us (son has had one) so that when we go to the coast, we'll be able to carry our computer.

We have been getting a ton of rain...especially down at the coast. It's traveling up the coast so you guys in S and N. carolina are going to get it the next couple of days I think. We really need it. Our pond is slowly filling up, its about a 1/4 of the way, I guess.

I will post pictures later of the high tide at the coast..
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8843805

Oh I remember that link. Thanks for the reminder, happ, I think..lol

I've used 1/2 gallon of Windex ammonia in the last few days. Darn mealy bugs. Hubby came in and said "wow the windows look really nice". I bout fell over.

Anybody good ID'ing spiders? I can't for the life of me figure out how to ask on the bug forum.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8843841

cute spider, definATELY A BUG EATER, GO TO THE ID FORUM, SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN AND START A NEW THREAD WITH ID NEEDED ON THIS SPIDER AS SUBJECT LINE, UPLOAD THIS BEAUTIFUL PICTURE AND SOMEONE WILL HELP U ID IT. stoopid caps lock. anyway, try that.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8843856

Debra, do you take anything for your headaches? I have a prescription migraine med but always try the caffine and chocolate thing before I take one. Sometimes that will help.
Also, if it makes you feel any better, no mail today. Columbus Day!

My DH always gets after me if I try to move things that I shouldn't. He tells me "that's what you have me for. Let ME do it". Yes sir.

I noticed a few leaves changing when I went to town a bit ago. Noooooooo, I don't want to bring all those plants in! Somtimes I think I will just leave some out and let them freeze, then I can't do it. I do believe I will leave out all those pots of rose moss. They are soooo pretty, but I'm sure they are dropping plenty of seeds back into the pots. I've also harvested a few seeds. Besides, they are plenty cheap if I need to replace them. Have some beautiful HUGE coleus that I hate not to bring in. Could take cuttings and put them in styrofoam cups then start over next year, but then I think "what if they don't survive the winter! I've lost them!" I got them from another DG'er and they are different than what I've had before.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8843993

I guess my buddy won't be checking in. Oh poo. :(

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8844070

I love rose moss, but can't seem to keep it growing.
Careyana, has your buddy gone mia?
I used to have a pot shortage, started using three gal plastic folgers tubs with holes burned out in bottoms for inside over winter, then everyone and their sister started bringing me pots when I gave them plants in those coffee tubs. LOL

I put EE's in the big pots all together, and caladiums in the other pots around the brugs. I love many plants at once it seems to work for me.

Thumbnail by joeswife

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8844208

GardenQuilts received her box several weeks ago, we're just waiting for her to post. Where are you, Lori Lynn? Hope everything's OK with you. And thank you, Carey, for being way ahead of the game :) Guess what, my SIL is coming for a visit this week-end...lol She's staying with my MIL. Saturday morning we're planning to go to a really cool Craft Fair, then she'll get all dolled up to attend her Class Reunion Saturday night and fly back to DFW on Sunday.

One of our local nurseries gives away small pots with their flats like annuals come in, and they sell larger pots left over from landscaping jobs for $0.25 each. Sometimes they're free too depending on how many they have on hand. I racked up last Spring when I desperately needed larger pots to plant Lily bulbs. My pot ghetto waxes and wanes. Right now there's a lot of empty ones, and I still need to muster the strength to dump out the soil from the huge plastic barrels our neighbor gave us that we grew veggies in. I think she said they originally held 200# of minerals for their cattle.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8844223

oh my fruity, that is a heavy load, be careful, maybe dump it out by bucketing?

hope you guys have fun .. I havn't been to a craft fair for ages.
edited cuz meds make me type stoopid.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2011 8:50 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8844258

Have a ball fruity, I know you all have so much fun together.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 11, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8845114

Hello, my favorite peeps,
Talking about the pumpkin on a stick...I have grown these before, but only got 3 or 4 pumpkins, but tried to grow them in a pot and they didn't have the best of care. Anyhoo...I bought a pack of seeds the other day locally and since you all have been talking I went back to see if they had more and they did. I know some of you are getting some from Ang, but if anyone else is interested, let me know, I bought 3 more packs today. I will have to see how many seeds are in the pack. I am going to plant a few now and see if I can get them to grow over the winter in the GH.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 11, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8845574

Have you ever tried freecycle? People give away stuff to keep it from landfills. You can ask for stuff as well as post. You choose one closest to you.

http://www.freecycle.org/

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 11, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8845577

I got some large pots from freecycle once. I forgot to say that!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8845608

I registered with freecycle a few months ago and I watch craigslist, course all my friends watch...rofl.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8845611

I have rose moss growing all over the place! It seems to show up in about every pot I have. lol Then if a piece breaks off, I stick it in another pot and...walaaaa... another plant.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8845629

We got a glider rocker off of craigslist. It squeaks and creaks but I love it.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8845857

I have been missing in action due to health problems - asthma aggravated by the terribly damp weather. I hope to be feeling better and able to catch up with everyone soon. Time to crank up the nebulizer again.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8845920

Lori - hope you are feeling better soon. We are supposed to have 4 days of rain - are you?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8846005

Lori, I hope you get over this attack fast. I know it must be driving you crazy to be down for so long. Good luck and we are praying for you.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8846916

Will anyone be cutting back some Brugs (any color) before they freeze? I sure would love to find some rooted or unrooted ones.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8846970

Sandy, I will have a few.. remind me.. okay?

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 13, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8847152

About those fungus gnats-- I have heard (no experience) that a layer of sand on the top of the soil in the pot will take care of them. They live in moist soil near the surface, and the sand allows the surface to dry more quickly. I heard this years ago and this is best I remember.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 13, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8847160

Here's a lengthy discussion of various ways to treat gnats:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0623325431625.html

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8847161

I chase them around the house with a vacuum cleaner. :D

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 13, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8847179

I have tried to add a plant to my have list on DG several times and am not able to get it to work. Any tips? I find a plant in the search and try to add it ti my have kist but it wants me to select plant, seed, cutting,etc, but there is apparently no way to click on the options.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8847217

That must be unique to your account/software on your computer. Does this always happen? If you shut down and restart your computer? There may be updates to your browser needed or maybe the folks in Admin would have some ideas.

You should be able to click on one of those options, or, as you have found - you won't be able to add the plant to your list. :/

A.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8847314

I hate gnats. I've gotten to the point where I can catch them with my bare hands and so has my son. The cats will even go to great lengths to kill them if they are on the window.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8847478

Debra I will remind you...if I can remember rotflol
I just added a plant to my want list so I agree it is a problem to your computer.

The plant I added should really be on a really really really want list. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1225206/
I hope I can find some. I have had it yrs ago but am hoping I have learned a lot since then.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8847480

Just found this if anyone wants night blooming jasmine cuttings. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1225270/

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 13, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8847716

I spent several minutes researching what a plant on the trade list was and have posted there about Pseuderanthermum . I am reposting the info here so that you can be aware that this plant is likely to bring you more sorrow than joy.

I thought that Pseuderanthermum flower looked familiar and I did a little checking. The one I have is P. variable and it has a white flower with an umlaut marking in purple near the throat. You DO NOT want this plant. It is very invasive. I am terrified that it will escape the greenhouse and pots and start growing in the soil. Every bit I pull up goes in the trash. It came to me in an orchid plant and when I saw it I thought how bright and cheerful and cute it looked, blooming in pure white, so I let it stay. For a year or so I just had a few. At one point I even got some and put them all in a pot together. Then they began to spread. Now I am fighting them even in the floor of the greenhouse. They come up everywhere. The seeds are dehiscent and shoot into other pots,even overhead into hanging baskets.They have fleshy or thick roots and if a piece breaks off in the soil, it regenerates from that small pievce of root. It is not a good idea to reuse any soil from plants that had these plants growing in them.
Yes, this is a different species, and mine does not have these colorful leaves and white flowers instead of purple, but I issue a warning against this plant. It looks the same in flower form.
A link to see my plant is here:
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb308/crystalhrogers/unkn...

This plant has become established in greenhouses in Florida. If I had it to do over, I would get rid ogf that first plant and save myself a lot of trouble.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8847781

Crystal - I can see why you left his plant in the orchid - it is so pretty. Kind of scarey though. Thank you for the heads up!
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8847847

I understand it is invasive and still want it. My Summer Poinsettia is invasive and what grows in the grass gets mowed but I love it so much I don't mind having it everywhere. I have had this chocolate plant 2 different times and it did not come back. This is one plant that is so unique I would not mind having all over. But thanks so much for the info so I can atleast know what I am getting into. :)

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8847933

goldhillal ... did you find the address page? It is www.davesgarden.com/address_exchange

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8848135

Sandy if you have seeds of summer poinsetta I would love some for my native garden. I have two large cuttings of jasmine sambuc and a ton of the cestrum nocturn also. compost pile is going to be full up of unwanted cuttings and plants soon.
Those of you who stated they wanted the small datura plants please dmail me and what ever else I had offered and said I would send out, as I have been sick and can't remember, and have all these plants sitting around, bubbles sitting here waiting to be addressed and stuffed. HELP!!

tell me i don't have a severe case of CRS

which collage do you think looks better for my office wall this one? or...

Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8848136

this one?

Thumbnail by joeswife

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8848166

Hard choice! Both are really nice but I think I like the first one best.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 13, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8848221

Yes, Crit, I found address page. Someone (?) told me to look under Extras at home page, and there it was.
I like both real well, but I,too, vote for the first one.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8848233

okay thanks. My boss's wife told me to make the collages 11 by 14 landscape and she will have them framed in black to match my new office. I thought for one wall the white theme with a touch of blue would be good, and a real colorful one on the other wall. She has been decorating the store, saw my screensaver shots of my photos on my desktop putor, and asked me to make some up, but I have not done it, now she has called three times, I better get it done. bleah. and, I am supposed to be having a charity garage sale to help my sister out, and totally forgot about that, and my daughter reminded me tonight. sheese!

CRS i am tellin ya..by the way...Fruity, my coleus cuttings are all perky now.. so is the begonia cuttings, and Polly is in her own little pot, still nice and firm.
Sure love my swap plants! Oh, and the fert sticks? well, I stuck some in most of the big pots already inside, and now I have a fully loaded about to bloom brug down there .. yippee!

Thumbnail by joeswife

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8848480

debra, you have a plant named Polly????? I want one. ^_^ Does anyone have any starts of that? TIA
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8848710

I am just popping in to thank Carey for the fabulous plants and seeds! They all survived thanks to your wonderful packing job! The plants were wrapped in damp paper towels and newspaper and placed inside plastic bags or saran. I was worried about them while I was unable to get to the post office, but they are fine! I'll type in a list of all of the fab goodies later.

My partner's box is finally going out today. I am waiting for my friend to call. We are heading to the post office and Wallyworld - her with her cane and me with my weezer. I used to have more exciting plans for Friday back in the day. If you see two crazy ladies driving carts around the Pocono Wallyworld plant department at say hello. Maybe we will find some goodies on end of season clearance?

I hope that my partner likes the plants that I am sending as much as I like the ones that I received. One bright note is that I was able to include a few more plants from things recently divided/repotted.

I'll check back in later.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8849005

Oh how wonderful, Lori. I know it's not easy for you to get out. You ladies enjoy yourselves.

I'm so glad you're going to be able to use both your collages, Debra. Very pretty & interesting arrangements.

When I have another Polly pup, Patti, I'll put your name on it. How was that for a lot of ppppp's...lol

SIL brought MIL up this afternoon. We all had a great visit and sent my MIL home with a vase of Dahlia blooms. Her face just lit up! I am so looking forward to going to the craft fair tomorrow and maybe swing by a farmer's market or two if we have time.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8849140

Have Fun, Fruit Loop... been undoing the Pond outside.. NASTY! anyway, I am bringing in the water plants, and found one of College girls LARGEST fish in a dead mode with half of its body gone, I am suspecting the possum that as been visiting us, or maybe MIA the cat. Oh Dear..

Working on seed bags and stuff also. Hope I get all this done cuz it has been getting cold at night.
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

October 14, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8849263

Oh girls, I have a new obsession hens and chicks! Someone save me! I didn't realize this easy plant came in so many gorgeous varieties! Anybody have some for trade?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8849279

Same here candles4u! I found an ebay seller with several listings that I've been drooling over. He has like 8 different packages, each with 12 hens&chicks and all are different. Here is the seller, they are listed under Perennials: http://stores.ebay.com/maplestoneornamentals
I can't afford to buy them though as I just spent some money on Christmas Gifts for the boy.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8849402

those are cute, but I really like that Harry Lauders Walking Stick TREE. Dang!

welp, I have a bloom inside..

Thumbnail by joeswife

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2011
11:36 PM

Post #8849478

Me to Debra, one lone bloom and the house smells wonderful.
I am up wayyyy too late, but can't sleep. Internet was down most of the night so that was a bummer!
So fruity is going to pot up a polly for patty in a pot to take to the post office...rofl.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8849541

lmao, Joyce. I couldn't have said that better!
Off to work..

this is kaitlyn..

Thumbnail by joeswife

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8849642

Oh that is way more than one bloom...rofl.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8849705

Joyce - I agree, very well said.

Deb - I have a Harry Lauder out by my pond. I haven't tried to do any starts from him, do you know if they will start or how to start them?

Candles/Ang - I too have discovered the hens and chicks. I just love them. I will have to put this seller into my saved sellers listings as I really cannot buy anything at this time. Have to think about Christmas. Right now I am working on making a calendar on Snapfish with all the family photos that were taken last summer at my Dad's 80th birthday party. I think everyone will like them and it should help to keep costs down.

Sooz - let us know what you find at the craft fair. I love going to those things.

Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8849813

I'm finally feeling better except for the peeling skin from the antibotics. My buddy, your box will be mailed on Monday. I have to replace some things that died while I was in the hospital, but the one plant that I was waiting for is here. I hope you like your box. Tina
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8850214

(((Tina))) It's OK if you need more time. Does that always happen when you take antibiotics? Continue to take care of yourself and I hope your Mom's still there helping you.

[So fruity is going to pot up a polly for patty in a pot to take to the post office...rofl.] happ, you are too much! Brought the pot in this afternoon when I got back and saw a new leaf shoot peeking out of the soil, so it may be sooner than later, Patti.

Mum's the word at least for now, Carolyn, since a bunch of the stuff I got are Christmas presents either for my Secret Santa or my neighbor's "dirty" Santa party. But I can tell you I got a delicious jar of jalapeno mustard for hubby. He's into different kinds of mustard and the vendor was giving out samples with bits of diced of ham, and I picked up a jar of spiced pears for me. My mom used to make spiced apple rings but don't recall ever having tried spiced pears with cloves. Many of the booths were so crowded you could hardly see the exhibits unless you rooted your way in and I'm not into that. After a while, even the aisles of people were like sardines in a can. That's when SIL and I agreed it was time to leave and hit the Farmer's Market where I picked up a box of Chicken Mushrooms, Patty Pan Squash, and a jar of Black Bean Corn Salsa...it delish and hope I can duplicate the recipe.

Hens & chicks are neat plants, Crystal. In a couple of years you'll have more chickies than you know what to do with. They are very fun tough plants though.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8850357

[quote]Hens & chicks are neat plants, Crystal. In a couple of years you'll have more chickies than you know what to do with. They are very fun tough plants though. [/quote]

I have killed so many it is not funny. I don't know what I do wrong...over-water underwater all of the above I guess :( No more Hens & chicks for me.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8850369

Come on over to our new room. This one was getting a bit long and will mark it closed.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1225560/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America