Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Arsenic in our chicken feed?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 21, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8834886

I've always thought something wasn't right with our chicken feed. When your chickens would rather starve than eat the commercial feeds there's something wrong. Here's an article:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08038/855502-114.stm

Lately I've been giving them white millet, sunflower seeds and cracked corn. I can't force them to eat the commercial chicken feed so I had to find something else that they would eat. Wonder what else is in the feed that we don't know about. :(*
copperstone
The Dalles, OR

October 3, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8835157

I too wonder what all is in the feed we feed out to our livestock. Some of it is not good. GM feed is some of the worst that we can give them.
If a person can, the best way to is to grow it yourself. But, few of us have the space, equipment, resources and the finances to be able to do that.
Next best, then would be to buy and feed out the Organic feed. But recently, I found an article where so called organic feed is no longer organic.
I have been experimenting with different types of feed and really cutting back on the commercial layer feed. I still want to maintain the nutrition of course, but the layer feed is getting to expensive and it's full of chemical's. I also don't like the antibiotics.
I understand that there is a mill of sorts around my area and I intend to look into this. The mill offers grain products, that are reasonable in price, and come directly from the farm as a whole grain.
I am sick and tired of being "force fed" all the nonsence about our food being "safe, clean, wholesome" etc., when it's full of chemical's, and is made from GM stock. And, that applies to our animal's food as well.
How 'bout the rest of the readers in this forum--what do you do to address this issue?

cs
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8835418

Copperstone, we are all in the same boat you are in, even if some people won't acknowledge it. I have no answers. The politicians keep allowing this, so we need to hold them responsible, but the way things are going, ... I just have no answers.. wish I did.

The only answer might be if we could get organized and stay persistent and unrelenting. This machine they are running is strong against the people. From what I have researched out, it is religiously motivated, and I don't mean they are Christians, but comes from very dark immoral beliefs. They are deadly serious and have the force of money and military behind them, add to that propaganda and mind control. It is a state of affairs.

Can you imagine people in the past allowing themselves to be poisoned? They've been doing this to us since WWII, and it has to do with something called Operation Paperclip. We are so far down this road it may be past the point of no return. Really it's up to the people and what we are capable of comprehending and setting right. If we are all brain damaged and complacent because of fluoride, well, maybe we have no way of resisting.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8835674

Oh dear...:(
copperstone
The Dalles, OR

October 6, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8839073

It has been one crazy day here. To much going on all at the same time. I can barely think.
I have a friend who knows where the mill I mentioned is. If I can get a phone number maybe I can call them and get some details.
I know that in other cities, there are feed mills and a person can go "clean up" so to say and get wholesome feed that way. Just have to ask around I think.
Now to address the feed pollution--the only way any of this is going to be cleaned up is for an entire mass of people to sue the Federal Food and Drug Administration. This agency is charged with food and feed safety. And then post everything on the 'net.
Also, if you can, see if any of the farm's might have bulk feed they would be able to sell to you.
If people who are allergic to gluten in wheat can get a product made just for them, I think we can come up with something to help our flocks, and herds to maintain good health, without breaking our wallets.
cs
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8839782

Suing wouldn't help much...demanding that they be more regulated would at least have a watchdog watching the wolves trying to get into the chicken house! :)
copperstone
The Dalles, OR

October 8, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8841452

I think you are right IowaAnn. FDA is not here to protect people. It was created to help the drug companies.
Only way around this situation is to grow the feed yourself, or find some that could be purchased that is safe. At least where I live anyway, I do have possibilities.
Light for Jesus, what is Operation Paperclip?

cs
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8843279

Actually the FDA does protect us from contaminated foods. Remember the mad cow disease? If not for the FDA we would have really big problems because they (producers) could pass unacceptable products (think cleanliness) into our food sources. Think mice feces ect...yuck! I wish they would do more to protect and have regulations on the feed that animals get. I'm sure that the labels on our feed bags don't tell the whole story like the labels on our cereal boxes. I want to know what exactly is in that commercial feed. It costs more to buy wheat, corn, millet, oats and, sunflower hearts and soy meal but at least I know my hens are getting the best possible and most natural feeds. Which in turn makes sure that my family is getting the best eggs and meat. Paying almost $3. for a dozen eggs (claiming to be omega 3 and natural) costs more than me raising my hens and feeding them the best natural foods available.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8843528

Sigh!!! DH was not a believer, but our dogs are like our children to us. Even our boys think of the dogs as members of the family. We've lost two of our darlings recently to Cancer and DH is now on board for the more expensive holistic dog food. Yes, it is probably not purely organic and them are probably traces of elements we really don't want. But we feel it is a start in letting these pet food companies know how we feel. We do have a feed mill company local and we do buy our chicken/poultry feed from them. I still wonder what is in the layer feed as opposed to the general game bird feed.

Anyhoo, I guess my point is that we all are trying to do the best we can. The the gov wil start doing the best for us in return is anyone's guess...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 10, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8843546

I feel for all of you that can't buy good feed.
But, I want to know how many people that are against GMO & others things smoke. We had a lady die of lung cancer in our town this summer. Now anther is on her death bed. Out town only has 230 people.
Now for "Organic", check out the things they are using to grow organic crops. Supposed to be safe because they are natural. Way more scary than some of the commercial chemicals.

The farmers growing non GMO corn for example, produce GMO corn if their field is next to one with GMO. Corn cross pollinates to about 500 ft or more. Soybeans are even worse. Works the same for organic. Organic calls for a 300 ft buffer. That will wipe out most small operations. Sprays drift!

Find a good reputable feed mill & buy their home mixed ration. Most will not contain antibiotics and these people will not add things you don't know about. Hometown Co-ops are a good place to start.
Bernie
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8843825

In France, by law, your produce sold in the grocery stores have to list any and all chemicals used in the growing of their produce. So on the same sign with the price there is a listing of any chemical used. The customers are very up to date of all chemicals and if the producers want to sell their vegetables they'd better not use anything toxic or harmful or they'll be stuck with some rotten veggies.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8847735

IowaAnn, that sounds about right. Let the customers decide.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 13, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8847815

Not as bad as arsenic, but I think someone must be putting pig weed seeds in the horse feed. Now that we have had a little rain, pig weed is coming up in a thick stand everywhere that there is horse manure! It has never been a problem before, and there is none in the cow pastures...
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8848597

What is pig weed? Anything like goat weed? I bought some composted cow manure for Wally World. It was on sale and I was out of my own compost. Now I have goat weed, but only in the beds where the WW compost was used. =(
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 14, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8848719

Clearly Walmart does not let their compost heat up enough to kill weed seeds! What I call goat weed is also known as wooly croton. (Perhaps Walmart's cows grazed it? My cows won't eat it.) The pigweed I am fighting is an Amaranthus of some sort and is resistant to glyphosate herbicides. I have it growing in the horse paddocks only where the manure accumulates and in the rose beds where I have spread the horse manure.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 14, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8848742

No composting will ever kill weed seeds.
Pig weed has a 1000 year life in the seed. May have been in the ground & when right condition came along, there it was. Each plant has millions of seed, so if there was only a little piece in the horse hay, it would get spread in their manure.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 14, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8848755

I believe that done right composting should and does kill weed seeds. The pile must get hot. My compost does not grow weeds. The manure I put on the roses was not composted; it was from ponies on pasture which was initially almost weed-free who were eating a commercial horse feed - no hay.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8848909

porkpal, I don't think even goats eat goat weed! Our gal at the farmers co-op said that if someone was shredding a field full of goat weed anywhere near the composting operation, then that might me how it got in. She says shredding sets goat weed seeds free and spreads them on the wind. But then again I find that the only placed our pasture has goat weed is where the feral hogs have been. At any rate, no more compost from Wally World! Now I have some of that wire grass (looks like barbed wire) coming in where I pulled up the goat weed...Rrrrrrr

But thanks for the explanation about pig weed.
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8850134

After years of buying mulch for my flower beds I've figured out that the mulch that I put down every year to combat weeds actually has brought weeds to my flower beds. We never had creeping charlie until I started using bagged mulch and now I'm combating the creeping charlie and some kind of grass that grows underground white roots that is impossible to get rid of. I'm going back to using grass clippings! GRRrrrrr... The weeds are becoming roundup resistant. : (
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 15, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8850487

Oh boy! Roundup-ready weeds, what an asset!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8850658

LOL!
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8851355

Yup, roundup ready weeds...it will happen! :) Sharpen your old hoes and get ready for it. ;)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America