Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: What is happening on my Lantana?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MikeRogers
Humble, TX

October 4, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8835657

We live in Houston and are having extreme drought currently and temps were very hot all summer. We've had lantana for years, but this year we've been noticing this appearing on them. It only seems to affect this particular variety with this color pattern. All of the other colors (purple, orange, white, gold) don't seem to have developed these.

Thumbnail by MikeRogers
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8835928

Well, we DO learn something new every day! I thought your problem looked like aster yellows so did a quick search and, sure enough, I found a site that says lantana can get it too. Here's the site:

http://blog.chron.com/lazygardener/2008/12/lantana-flowers-turn-green/

I've had some of my purple coneflowers succumb to aster yellows but never any of my lantana. When it attacks my coneflowers I just pull out and dispose of the affected plants. Fortunately, I've never had it attack all of my coneflowers, just one or two at a time.
MikeRogers
Humble, TX

October 5, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8837035

Thank you very much. After calling Mercer Arboretum they confirmed it was around this year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America